What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (2 Viewers)

Hey Icon and all you other off-road enthusiasts...

Go to www.oramagazine.com to get a free subscription to Off-Road Adventures. It's a monthly magazine full of great tech tips, new gear, and where to ride. I've been getting it for 3 years now. :thumbup:

Let me know when you get 35's on it. :thumbup:
Yeah yeah yeah...Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to trick this thing out with 36s and a 7" lift and go stomping over redwoods, but the fact of the matter is this is my daily driver and while i do about 90% of my driving on regular roads, I also do a bit of driving on highways. Eventually I'll likely step up to 32-33" tires, but It's just not practical to go much bigger. Once you go above 3-4" in lift you're looking at a LOT of drivetrain and suspension mods that get very pricey (and impractical for daily use).

Now, in 3-4 years when I buy another car for a DD and this becomes my "toy"... well THEN I might start turning it into franken-jeep :)

Well the inevitable happened today and I got stuck for the first time :excited:

The park that I usually ride at (link) has been a blast the prior two times but the recent rains had completely transformed this place today. Every rut was fulled with water and many new mini-ponds have been formed. I was a bit tentative at first with my stock suspension and 31" AT tires and that proved to be a valid concern about 15 mins into the ride. Tried to pass between a couple lakes in what looked like solid ground... nope :lmao:

Called a buddy with a tricked out blazer and 35" super swampers and he showed up 15 mins later to pull us out. Then proceeded to really have a good time back there as I no longer had to be paranoid about getting stuck. Really got a feel for throttle control and how to use it to get through swampy ruts. Buddy almost flipped his blazer when he backed up too quick and one wheel went over a 6' ledge.. his right front tire was about 4' off the ground.

Overall... had a BLAST and realized that a tow strap jumps the "to buy" list:

1) Tow Straps

2) Rear/Side windows for soft top

3) 2" Rubicon Express Suspension Boost

4) Neoprene Seat Covers

I will say that the Goodyear A/T tires don't clean very well in slick clay-laden mud... had to get up to speed to clear em out.

Jeep is caked pretty good with mud right now.. looks good :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to throw in some advice: Not everyone might agree with me but you might not want to move up to anything bigger than 31's with that stock rear end if you are doing a lot of driving. I put 32's on mine, stock wrangler, and the rear end exploded on me. Broke teeth off the the spider gears, they got caught in the ring gear, bent the pinion, bent the output shaft on the transfer case........ just be aware that is all I am saying.

Oh, and don't ever go wheeling without a tow strap, no matter how badass you think your rig is. Nothing says "yuppie #####" like wheeling in a jeep with out a tow strap. Mine as well own an H2.

Also, I'm sure you've either read, seen, or been told: NO HOOKS OR EYES ON YOUR TOW STRAP.

Oh, and don't ever go wheeling without a tow strap, no matter how badass you think your rig is. Nothing says "yuppie #####" like wheeling in a jeep with out a tow strap. Mine as well own an H2.
Thanks for the pointers :thumbup: Just started and the park had ZERO chance of getting stuck the first two times I went out (bone dry except for one large lake in the center that I avoided). I underestimated the muck this third time and took some chances I shouldn't have and got stuck.

I will be wheeling with company from here on out so it will be less of an issue but I'm well aware of it and will have a strap (yes, without any metal on it as I have seen what that can do to a ride) by my next time out. I plan on hitting 4wheelparts here in Memphis tonight or tomorrow night and picking one up.

Regarding the larger wheels on the back. I'm aware the d35 is weak and is prone to snapping. I likely don't pan on going much bigger than 31s anyways as i don't plan on turning my DD into a mud buggy. Also, I'm seriously considering getting lockers down the road and that will only increase the stress on the axle so I agree that I won't be going much bigger than what i've got.

If I ever do snap an axle i'll be dropping a d44 or 8.8 in there, however.

Hey Icon and all you other off-road enthusiasts...

Go to www.oramagazine.com to get a free subscription to Off-Road Adventures. It's a monthly magazine full of great tech tips, new gear, and where to ride. I've been getting it for 3 years now. :thumbup:
:) :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll have to take some time and re-read the whole thing.

I've been spending alot of time reading at jeepforums.com and rubiconowners.com?

What are the best off road/jeep forums.

Whats the best way to find out about places to offroad. I live in AZ.

just to keep this thread updated....

I just purchased a 2006 silver Rubicon. Sticker $29,995, got it for about $23,000. With the new 2007 design coming out, I would suspect big sales on the 2006's from here on out.

Full doors, Sirius, softtop.

Welcome aboard KGB. You can tell from this thread that I knew VERY little when I first got my Jeep a while back. Since then I've probably spent a couple hours a day at the office browsing JF.com and ROF.com.... you're on the right track at those two places. They're the best IMHO. I'm msavard at both. The people there are VERY helpful and I've learned a LOT from those places.

You've got a LOT of great wheeling spots in AZ.... I'm not familar with the area but if you look around on those boards you'll find em. We have to drive pretty far to hit any REAL good wheeling here in West TN. We've got a few park options within a 3-5 hour drive. I've orgainized a group ride departing from Memphis for SuperLift ORV park in Hot Springs, AR in October. We'll have about 10 jeeps caravaning out there for 2 nights camping and wheeling through the trails there. :thumbup:

If you have any questions by all means post them here.. I'll give whatever help I can...chances are I've had the same questions during my brief ownership :)

ARMOR/SKIDS:

Regarding armor.... I'd start with an engine skid.

I bought THIS SKID which is the exact same as the WARN skid (Warn makes the OEM skids). It USED to be $80 (what I paid) but for some reason the price has gone up. Look around for it (ebay is a good price)... it's a bit cheaper than most and offers protection for all but the most hardcore rock crawling.

LIFTS:

You can go cheap (Budget Boost / Coil spacers) which will give you 1.75-2.25" of lift for about $250. It's a simple DIY install that involves replacing the stock shocks and placing spacer pucks on top of the coil springs.

If you're looking for bigger springs/etc then I'd suggest the OME 2.5" lift for around $500... it's also a self-install if you're handy... the OME shocks are known to be an upgrade over stock ride and handling.

If you're wanting to go bigger.. check out the Rubicon Express 3.5" or 4.5" lift (nets 4.5 and 5.5" respectively)....but keep in mind that as you approach/pass the 3" of lift barrier, you'll run into drivetrain vibration issues due to the jeep's short wheelbase. This can be fixed by installing a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) as welll as an aftermarket driveshaft (sometimes).

If you get vibes in the 2-3" range they can usualy be fixed by installing a 1" Body LIft and 1" Motor Mount lift (both easy..and aroudn $250 total) and sometimes a slight transfer case drop (also as simple as installing a few washers between your transfer case skid (shovel) and the body.

ADDING FLEX FOR CHEAP/FREE - SWAYBAR DISCONNECTS

If you're looking for more flex, then look into disconnecting your sway bars up front when you head offroad(never disco the rear swaybar!).... this will give you that impressive suspension droop that you see in all the rock crawling photos. The swaybars are great for the highway but they severely limit flex off road. These can be replaced with JKS Quicker Disconnects that speed up the disconnecting process (simply lynch pin) for around $150... or you can spring for an ANTIROCK anti-swaybar that performs well both on road and offroad ($450-500).

BIGGER TIRES:

If you're looking to increase your tire size with your lift, then you'll need roughly the following amount of lift to fit certain sized tires:

31" Tires = Stock (some light rubbing at max flex when disconnected).

32" Tires = 2" Lift for offroad or 1" Body Lift if mainly on road

33" Tires = 3" Lift for on road and 4" of lift for off road

NOte that when you're buying tires, 10.50" Width is the widest that will fit on the stock wheels without rubbing at full turn.. if you upgrade to 11.50 or 12.50 wide tires you will either need to buy some wheel spacers ($150ish) or new wheels with greater backspacing (moves the wheels farther from the body) which will cause your tires to stick out from the flares a bit (Some like tthis look).

Can anyone recommend any good rain/winter covers for a Jeep. I have a 2006 Wrangler and keep the full doors off all summer. I think it would be easier throwing a tarp-type fitted cover over the jeep then installing the doors and soft top. I would also like to keep this cover on during the Winter(no garage) to protect it from the weather. TIA.

Can anyone recommend any good rain/winter covers for a Jeep. I have a 2006 Wrangler and keep the full doors off all summer. I think it would be easier throwing a tarp-type fitted cover over the jeep then installing the doors and soft top. I would also like to keep this cover on during the Winter(no garage) to protect it from the weather. TIA.
Bestop Trail CoverI've heard good things about that one... I'd shop around however

Other ones available here:

http://jeepcovers.com/

Link to Jeepforum Thread discussing this topic:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320389

Icon, are 31" tires the largest you can go without needing a lift? And you say there will be soom slight rubbing with this size on main road?
Yes... 31x10.50 is the biggest you will want to go on a stock height jeep. YOu will have NO rubbing on normal roads. I've done some pretty good offroading with my jeep (not disconnected) and have had ZERO rubbing issues. You could probably even get away with 32x10.50s if you only ride on regular paved roads and have no plans for going offroad until you get a lift.

oh,

I guess theres no "your headlghts are on" warning. I just found out I left them on for 5 hours.

It was kinda dark when i left for work and light when I got here. :wall:

' date='Sep 27 2006, 01:42 PM' post='5609638']

avoiding injuries said:
Icon, are 31" tires the largest you can go without needing a lift? And you say there will be soom slight rubbing with this size on main road?
Yes... 31x10.50 is the biggest you will want to go on a stock height jeep. YOu will have NO rubbing on normal roads. I've done some pretty good offroading with my jeep (not disconnected) and have had ZERO rubbing issues. You could probably even get away with 32x10.50s if you only ride on regular paved roads and have no plans for going offroad until you get a lift.
:thumbup: Thanks dude.

oh,

I guess theres no "your headlghts are on" warning. I just found out I left them on for 5 hours.

That's the #4 fuse being pulled so your interior light doesn't stay on when you take the doors off. It is located right behind the glove box. With the fuse in place you need to get a spring clip or something to hold the 'door open" button in when your doors are off. With the fuse out you have to worry about leaving your lights on. My fuse is out and I've left em on a couple times but the batteries are pretty hardy. :) LINK TO THE DOOR CLIPS:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_100.htm

' date='Sep 27 2006, 01:42 PM' post='5609638']

avoiding injuries said:
:thumbup: Thanks dude.
Anytime... the least I can do. This thread was a great help to me when I was getting started.... after learning all about these things I'm eager to help anyone else out. :thumbup:

Just got rid of mine. I don't miss it yet.
I dunno what I'd do without mine... absolutely love it. Granted i've not had it long but I love the ride...hell.... everything about the thing. I'd be surprised if I ever sold it. Have never liked a vehicle this much :)

' date='Sep 27 2006, 04:01 PM' post='5610411']

I dunno what I'd do without mine... absolutely love it. Granted i've not had it long but I love the ride...hell.... everything about the thing. I'd be surprised if I ever sold it. Have never liked a vehicle this much :)
I'm hauling 2 kids to school now and it was just a big pain in the ### getting them in and out. I don't hunt or offroad anymore. The 15mpg I was getting wasnt too much fun. I would've liked to keep it as a 3rd play vehicle rather than my primary vehicle, but I couldn't swing the insurance for an extra vehicle.

' date='Sep 27 2006, 04:01 PM' post='5610411']

I'm hauling 2 kids to school now and it was just a big pain in the ### getting them in and out. I don't hunt or offroad anymore. The 15mpg I was getting wasnt too much fun. I would've liked to keep it as a 3rd play vehicle rather than my primary vehicle, but I couldn't swing the insurance for an extra vehicle.
:thumbup: I hear ya.. if I had kids or a long commute it would probably be a different story for me too :D

' date='Sep 27 2006, 01:56 PM' post='5610367']

oh,

That's the #4 fuse being pulled so your interior light doesn't stay on when you take the doors off. It is located right behind the glove box. With the fuse in place you need to get a spring clip or something to hold the 'door open" button in when your doors are off. With the fuse out you have to worry about leaving your lights on. My fuse is out and I've left em on a couple times but the batteries are pretty hardy. :) LINK TO THE DOOR CLIPS:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_100.htm
Nope, I yanked that. I was just dumb and forgot to turn them off :bag:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop a note.... pretty excited about a purchase I'm close to pulling off. Ws considering going the cheap route with coil spacers for the lift but have been reading up on them and am pretty much sold on the OME lifts. They're pretty much universally assumed to be better than stock rides.

Found a guy online that's unloading a hardly used OME Ultimate Kit that usually runs about $1250+. I'll be getting:

• COILS - 2.5" lift coils for LJ/ZJ combo to net 3-3.5" lift with armor/winch

• SHOCKS - 4 OME Shocks.. the best on the market

• ADJUSTABLE TRACKBARS - Both front and rear.... needed for recentering axles after lifts +3"

All for $450 Shipped :excited:

Shot of TJ with this lift on 33's >

Shot of TJ with this kit flexing >

To complete this install I'll need:

• JKS Quicker Disconnect Anti-Swaybar - $125 (considering going with Currie AntiRock for $100 more)

• 1" Body Lift + 1" Motor Mount lift to eliminate driveline vibrations (~$150 combined)

Then I'll be picking up some 33s and some spidertrax wheel spacers so I can use my stock alloy wheels (much lighter than steelies). Should have the whole rig completely built up by Spring :thumbup:

Headed to SuperLIft ORV Park this coming weekend for anyone looking to ride who might be in the area:

http://www.orvpark.com/

We should have 11-12 Jeeps caravaning out from Memphis and a half dozen rolling in at the same time from Oklahoma. Unfortunately I'll still be running stock height with 31's.. but it should still be a blast. We'll have rigs ranging from stock (mine + 3 more) to heavily built (massive lift, atlas, 4 wheel steer, rock lights, etc etc etc). We'll be camping Friday and Saturday nights.. and riding Saturday and Sunday.

Unfortunately I won't get the new OME suspension in time for the ride :(

' date='Oct 16 2006, 03:00 PM' post='5731683']

Headed to SuperLIft ORV Park this coming weekend for anyone looking to ride who might be in the area:

We should have 11-12 Jeeps caravaning out from Memphis and a half dozen rolling in at the same time from Oklahoma. Unfortunately I'll still be running stock height with 31's.. but it should still be a blast. We'll have rigs ranging from stock (mine + 3 more) to heavily built (massive lift, atlas, 4 wheel steer, rock lights, etc etc etc). We'll be camping Friday and Saturday nights.. and riding Saturday and Sunday.

Personal opinion, the most fun you'll have is when your off-roading in a stock Jeep. My first jeep went from stock, to small lift with 32's, to front and rear axle swap, engine swap, and 35's. 2nd Jeep was a 2k TJ, put in a small spacer lift, winch, had fun. 3rd jeep I bought an 04 Rubicon which I still drive today. Building the Jeep is half the fun but it ends up being so much work with little things here and there that I just enjoy the stock Jeep on challenging trails.Have fun with it.

' date='Oct 16 2006, 03:00 PM' post='5731683']

Personal opinion, the most fun you'll have is when your off-roading in a stock Jeep. My first jeep went from stock, to small lift with 32's, to front and rear axle swap, engine swap, and 35's. 2nd Jeep was a 2k TJ, put in a small spacer lift, winch, had fun. 3rd jeep I bought an 04 Rubicon which I still drive today. Building the Jeep is half the fun but it ends up being so much work with little things here and there that I just enjoy the stock Jeep on challenging trails.Have fun with it.
No doubt. I'll never go any bigger than the 33's... not looking to build a monster truck rig with longarms/etc. No doubt I'm looking forward to beating it up on the trails this weekend in stock for though :thumbup:

' date='Oct 17 2006, 02:49 PM' post='5739994']

For those wondering how the 2007 Redesigned JK Wrangler looks while at play...

Here are some shots on good sized (35") tires and a slight lift (4")

Poser Shot >

Backside SHot >

On the Trail >

ON The Trail >

Another Backside Shot >

4-DOOR Unlimited Lifted with a little meat under it >
I really like the 4 door :wub: I like the front fenders on the JK
Interesting. My main complaint about the JK are the rediculous-looking front "flenders" (combination fenders + flares). I can't stand how they replace the entire contoured metal fender with cheap plastic and how they stick out to a point in front of the grill. They ruin the entire vehicle for me. :X My other complaint is that it seems like Jeep is going out of it's way make everything look more Hummer-ish (especially the 4-door). Hummers are for posers - why Jeep would want to jump on that bandwagon is beyond me.

JK = :thumbdown:

My other complaint is that it seems like Jeep is going out of it's way make everything look more Hummer-ish (especially the 4-door). Hummers are for posers - why Jeep would want to jump on that bandwagon is beyond me.
I always thought that Hummers looke like Jeeps, not the other way around :shrug:

Hummer ripped a lot off from Jeep initially (especially the grill), but Jeep's new styling is definitley trying to ride Hummer's coat tails now.

' date='Oct 17 2006, 02:49 PM' post='5739994']

For those wondering how the 2007 Redesigned JK Wrangler looks while at play...

Here are some shots on good sized (35") tires and a slight lift (4")

Poser Shot >

Backside SHot >

On the Trail >

ON The Trail >

Another Backside Shot >

4-DOOR Unlimited Lifted with a little meat under it >
I really like the 4 door :wub: I like the front fenders on the JK
Interesting. My main complaint about the JK are the rediculous-looking front "flenders" (combination fenders + flares). I can't stand how they replace the entire contoured metal fender with cheap plastic and how they stick out to a point in front of the grill. They ruin the entire vehicle for me. :X My other complaint is that it seems like Jeep is going out of it's way make everything look more Hummer-ish (especially the 4-door). Hummers are for posers - why Jeep would want to jump on that bandwagon is beyond me.

JK = :thumbdown:
the "Flenders" are such a big sticking point with the hardcore jeep set that there will be a TON of aftermarket kits to mod them by chirstmastime I've yet to see one with a flatfender setup yet.... curious how it will work with the sloped front grille. Overall the look is really growing on me and I love the electronic Swaybar Discos and Lockers...as well as the ability to fit much larger tires with much smaller lifts. Lower center of gravity with bigger meats to grab the rocks.

The downside is you're looking at a weaker engine (torque down in low RPMs)...and a bigger body.

Hummer ripped a lot off from Jeep initially (especially the grill), but Jeep's new styling is definitley trying to ride Hummer's coat tails now.
Agreed. Not a big fan of the new hard top.... very much steals from the exterior lines of the Hummer. I love the soft top on the new JKs though.. looks great topless/doorless as well

Just got back from the trip to Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs, AR. Good drive out (3.5hrs) into hillybilly country but the park is unreal. Massive with well marked, maintained trails. Shot a good clip of pics and video clips as did many other folks in the group. Got mine up here for those who might be interested:

Link to photos >

It was the first rock climbing for my jeep and I learned a few things:

1) Lockers are good. Not having them is bad.

2) Stock Jeeps don't clear coffee-table sized rocks

We ran everything from gently rolling "1s and 2s" (rating on scale of 1 to 5) to some mid-level 4's... for those who have been, we ran "can opener" with 3 stock jeeps (1 with open diffs) out of 7. That's where 3 of the 4 day's recoveries took place.

Took some light damage on the underside(photos at link)... a little control arm wear and bashed my 2 skids (factory shovel and Warn Engine Skid) up about an inch which compressed my auto tranny and damaged the seal. Got a light ATF leak now that I'll address when I put the lift on next week.

Great times... we'll be back...soon.

Updated with some videos here:

http://web.mac.com/applething/iWeb/Appleth...27s/Movies.html

Obviously the shot titled "MATT" is me... thats' one of many assaults on my engine/tranny skids (although it was FAR from the worst). They used to be all nice and flat and now they look like this:

LINK TO IMAGE:

Not the best shot but you can see how both skids are now curved up a good bit... the left/engine skid was pressed into the transmission (note the bright spots/scrapes on the tranny) and broke the seal there. It's seeping tranny fluid at a nice clip now and will need to be fixed up in the next week or so.

No more level 4 trails for me until I get that lift in :)

icon[' date=Oct 23 2006, 10:20 AM' post='5774044]Obviously the shot titled "MATT" is me... thats' one of many assaults on my engine/tranny skids (although it was FAR from the worst).
Crunchy.Did you miss your line, or was there no way to avoid that?

icon[' date=Oct 23 2006, 10:20 AM' post='5774044]Obviously the shot titled "MATT" is me... thats' one of many assaults on my engine/tranny skids (although it was FAR from the worst).
Crunchy.Did you miss your line, or was there no way to avoid that?
Unfortunately there was no way to avoid that right there... narrow spot and good sized rocks all over. You can kinda see where I tried placing the tires to avoid it but it was impossible. We rode well above the capability of the stock rigs and most of them got beat up similarly to mine. One bailed before the toughest trail (can opener) of the day.

it's hard to tell on the vid... but i assumed you hit your line with the spoter right there an all. Oh well... at least you had the armor.

How did your rails fair? Do you have sliders?

Users who are viewing this thread