What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leon Washington (2 Viewers)

gocats

Footballguy
No Longer Overlooked

Published: May 3, 2006

Running back Leon Washington, a New York Jets fourth round selection from Florida State, has often been overlooked throughout his life due to a lack of height. However, with 4.3 speed, humility, poise, soft hands, and return skills, he’s not one tool short of becoming a success in the NFL.

Washington stands 5’8”, but following years of ridicule, he’s built up the confidence of a giant. His response to critics is very similar to his reaction to opponents while playing at FSU. Washington finds a way to bounce off would-be tacklers and break through to open field.

“Too small, too little to do this, too little to do that - I’ve been getting that my whole entire life,” he said. “If you look at NFL history, guys like Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders, all those guys were the standard height for running backs. Its added motivation, that’s all. When it gets down to it, I want to let my game speak for itself.”

Washington combines deceptive strength with uncommon tenacity. He played in 43 career games for the Seminoles despite having serious injuries to his shoulder, elbow and ankle, proving his durability and dedication to the sport.

“I got banged up in college, but I always bounced back from it,” Washington said. “I always came back and proved that I could come back from injury. That’s the game of football and things like that are going to happen. The thing is if you bounce back and improve on that. I think I did that.”

Even though Washington’s numbers declined during his senior season, he created quite the legacy at FSU. He is the only player in the Bobby Bowden era to score touchdowns five different ways (run, reception, punt return, kickoff return and a fumble recovery). As a junior, he was named Gator Bowl MVP after spinning out 195 yards on just 12 touches, obtaining a single-game school record of 16.3 yards per carry in a ‘Noles victory over West Virginia. Also that year, he ranked second in the ACC in average rushing yards per game with 95.1.

When Washington arrives to Weeb Ewbank Hall for Rookie Camp, he’ll attempt to make an instant impact in the Jets backfield and possibly in the return game. The 23-year old Washington is eager to learn from one of the best backs in league history, Curtis Martin, who turned 33 on May 1st.

“His numbers and his consistency in the NFL speak for themselves,” said Washington. “What a guy to come in and learn the game of football from. What a guy to come in and play behind. I am honored to get to play with him and be in his presence. I will take this and learn as much as I can from him.”

Because of Martin’s age and the team’s need at running back, Washington seems to have come to the Jets at a perfect time for both he and Mike Tannenbaum’s team.

“When we saw his tape, he is explosive and incredibly tough for his size,” said the Jets first-year GM of Washington. “We talked to the people at Florida State and they loved his leadership and what he brought to the table. So I think we filled some more needs and improved our depth and level of competition.”

I think Moore beats him out there, to be honest.
Why?I can tell you that I have the exact opposite opinion, I doubt Moore sticks on the roster, unless he's got more burst than he had over the last few months.

Washington is a useful back who is polished receiver and he carries himself more like a veteran than a rookie. He'll definitely stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Darren Sproles.
Washington was 202 at the combine, 204 at his pro day and 210 at two different individual workouts. That's 30 pounds heavier than Sproles. I'm not impressed with nfl.com's scouting reports but this is food for thought:
Washington has been a very hard player to get a good feel for because of his constant rotating in and out of games. He is a very well built back with the power and strength to be an effective runner once he gets past the line of scrimmage. He can keep his feet vs. hard hits and has shown the ability to lower a shoulder to deliver a hard blow to tackler to gain the extra yard at the end of the run. He has the very quick feet, acceleration, vision, instincts and playing speed to make big plays and plays a lot of Ryan Moats who was drafted in the third round by the Philadelphia Eagles. On film, Washington is a tough football player and has the physique to hold up physically in the NFL...

Washington is a very good athlete with the quick feet, burst and agility to make plays when he has the ball in his hands. Once he gets into space, he is a dangerous runner because he can make tacklers miss and has the strength to run through arm tackles and keeps his feet vs. dive tackles/hits. He has very good hands, which makes him a dangerous receiver out of the backfield and can make plays returning punts. He is a tough runner who consistently plays bigger than he looks and keeps his feet churning until he is on the ground....

Obviously, Washington is much shorter than ideal at 5-7, but at 210 pounds, he is very well built -- he has the build, so he is short and not small.
I like Leon a lot and always thought he deserved to be in the conversation with Drew, Calhoun, Norwood, and Harrison. I rank him in the bottom of that tier, but I think it's a very tight group and any of them could bust or emerge. He was in a rotation like Addai. They were just in and out of the game a lot, healthy or not.

Sounds like Darren Sproles.
Washington was 202 at the combine, 204 at his pro day and 210 at two different individual workouts. That's 30 pounds heavier than Sproles. I'm not impressed with nfl.com's scouting reports but this is food for thought:
Washington has been a very hard player to get a good feel for because of his constant rotating in and out of games. He is a very well built back with the power and strength to be an effective runner once he gets past the line of scrimmage. He can keep his feet vs. hard hits and has shown the ability to lower a shoulder to deliver a hard blow to tackler to gain the extra yard at the end of the run. He has the very quick feet, acceleration, vision, instincts and playing speed to make big plays and plays a lot of Ryan Moats who was drafted in the third round by the Philadelphia Eagles. On film, Washington is a tough football player and has the physique to hold up physically in the NFL...

Washington is a very good athlete with the quick feet, burst and agility to make plays when he has the ball in his hands. Once he gets into space, he is a dangerous runner because he can make tacklers miss and has the strength to run through arm tackles and keeps his feet vs. dive tackles/hits. He has very good hands, which makes him a dangerous receiver out of the backfield and can make plays returning punts. He is a tough runner who consistently plays bigger than he looks and keeps his feet churning until he is on the ground....

Obviously, Washington is much shorter than ideal at 5-7, but at 210 pounds, he is very well built -- he has the build, so he is short and not small.
I like Leon a lot and always thought he deserved to be in the conversation with Drew, Calhoun, Norwood, and Harrison. I rank him in the bottom of that tier, but I think it's a very tight group and any of them could bust or emerge. He was in a rotation like Addai. They were just in and out of the game a lot, healthy or not.
:goodposting:

Why?I can tell you that I have the exact opposite opinion, I doubt Moore sticks on the roster, unless he's got more burst than he had over the last few months.

Washington is a useful back who is polished receiver and he carries himself more like a veteran than a rookie. He'll definitely stick.
I thought Washington looked pretty blah at FSU. I know the Seminoles say that the play-calling was poor, but I don't buy that. I agree that Washington has more talent than Moore. But I think Moore has alot more heart and he is still coming back from the knee injury so I expect him to regain some of that burst. But you're probably more likely to be right, I'll admit.

I thought Washington looked pretty blah at FSU. I know the Seminoles say that the play-calling was poor, but I don't buy that. I agree that Washington has more talent than Moore. But I think Moore has alot more heart and he is still coming back from the knee injury so I expect him to regain some of that burst. But you're probably more likely to be right, I'll admit.
Im rooting for Moore. I agree that Washington's senior season was a dud.

Im rooting for Moore. I agree that Washington's senior season was a dud.
Yeah, I am too. And it probably taints my opinion on this training camp battle. But I did think the same thing about Washington 2 months ago.

And where does Cedric Houston fit into this mess?

Funny how, oh about 5 years ago, Jordan was the heir apparent to cuMar.

But is he ever going to be more than Dave Meggett?
If Washington can be as good as Dave Meggett in his prime than the Jets would be ecstatic. Meggett was a very valuable player when he was the top of his game. A serious threat that could really influence the monentum of a game. He wasn't a full time player but he filled his role exceptionally well. IMO Washington won't be anywhere near what Meggett was. The guy just never showed me anything special while he was at FSU. There was some hype around him and he had a decent career but I never came away thinking I saw a guy who could really be very effective at the next level. He'll make the roster and be given a chance but I really see him being what Parcells called a JAG (Just Another Guy).

I thought Washington looked pretty blah at FSU. I know the Seminoles say that the play-calling was poor, but I don't buy that.
:lmao: Uhh, you would be very, very, very wrong then. Plus the Oline was killed all season (3-4 of the 5 potential starters were always out), forcing the team to a spread/shotgun offense with a freshman quarterback (because they couldn't run-block).

I thought Washington looked pretty blah at FSU. I know the Seminoles say that the play-calling was poor, but I don't buy that.
:lmao: Uhh, you would be very, very, very wrong then. Plus the Oline was killed all season (3-4 of the 5 potential starters were always out), forcing the team to a spread/shotgun offense with a freshman quarterback (because they couldn't run-block).
if Washington was good enough to be the Jets difference maker, he woould have kept Lorenzo Booker on the bench at FSU; they were both good college players. we'll see abou the pros

Still making excuses? Maybe you need a better kicker, huh?

WTF does a kicker have to do with Leon Washington? :whoosh: :whoosh: :whoosh: :whoosh:

WTF does a kicker have to do with Leon Washington? :whoosh: :whoosh: :whoosh: :whoosh:
If you had a better kicker than Washington would have a Orange Bowl win under his belt?

If you had a better kicker than Washington would have a Orange Bowl win under his belt?
Are you high right now?

Oh wait, you're one of those Penn State fans. Congrats on avoiding 3-9 again. :thumbup:

Awesome hearing smack from a fan coming off your 2nd winning-season in 6 years. :lmao: Those are numbers that almost make Baylor jealous. :thumbup:

Oh wait, you're one of those Penn State fans. Congrats on avoiding 3-9 again. :thumbup:

Awesome hearing smack from a fan coming off your 2nd winning-season in 6 years. :lmao: Those are numbers that almost make Baylor jealous. :thumbup:
Congrats on blaming every loss of the last 4 years on your coach's son. That must make you guys feel awfully smart. Heck, if it wasn't for Bowden Jr you guys would have won the last 4 national titles and Leon Washington would be Reggie Bush. Right? :thumbup:

Oh wait, you're one of those Penn State fans. Congrats on avoiding 3-9 again.  :thumbup:

Awesome hearing smack from a fan coming off your 2nd winning-season in 6 years.  :lmao: Those are numbers that almost make Baylor jealous.  :thumbup:
Congrats on blaming every loss of the last 4 years on your coach's son. That must make you guys feel awfully smart. Heck, if it wasn't for Bowden Jr you guys would have won the last 4 national titles and Leon Washington would be Reggie Bush. Right? :thumbup:
Boy you're dumb.

Boy you're dumb.
So you're saying that you have not blamed multiple losses on Jeff Bowden? On this board? Or said that Leon Washington would have been fantastic with better play calling? :confused:

Oh wait, you're one of those Penn State fans. Congrats on avoiding 3-9 again.  :thumbup:

Awesome hearing smack from a fan coming off your 2nd winning-season in 6 years.  :lmao: Those are numbers that almost make Baylor jealous.  :thumbup:
Boy you're dumb.
So you're saying that you have not blamed multiple losses on Jeff Bowden? On this board? Or said that Leon Washington would have been fantastic with better play calling? :confused:
Of course I have to point one. Only a true moron would think Jeff Bowden used Leon Washington or Lorenzo Booker to their true potential the past three years. No idea what that or Florida State's kicker has to do with Leon's pro potential though. If you want to discuss Florida State football, take it to the FFA. I'll be happy to point out the overwhelming success of that program the past 30 years, if you so desire. I can promise you there are no strings of 4-7s or 3-9s there.

Boy you're dumb.
Of course I have to point one. Only a true moron would think Jeff Bowden used Leon Washington or Lorenzo Booker to their true potential the past three years. No idea what that or Florida State's kicker has to do with Leon's pro potential though. If you want to discuss Florida State football, take it to the FFA. I'll be happy to point out the overwhelming success of that program the past 30 years, if you so desire. I can promise you there are no strings of 4-7s or 3-9s there.
I'm not saying that he did, but I am saying that every FSU fan I've met uses that as an excuse of why Leon Washington didn't play as well as he shoud have. And I am saying that it is my opinion (you may have to read that a couple of times to get it. I'll wait).................................................. that the truth is that Leon Washington is just not as talented and not as driven as the FSU fans claim. I'm not sure how calling me dumb and a moron is refuting that opinion? Maybe you should just head back to the FFA?

And I am saying that it is my opinion (you may have to read that a couple of times to get it. I'll wait).................................................. that the truth is that Leon Washington is just not as talented and not as driven as the FSU fans claim. I'm not sure how calling me dumb and a moron is refuting that opinion?
:whoosh: :crazy: Maybe you should head back to the booze. Thanks for at least finally making an opinion on Leon Washington, rather than the FSU kicker, in the Leon Washington thread.

And I am saying that it is my opinion (you may have to read that a couple of times to get it. I'll wait).................................................. that the truth is that Leon Washington is just not as talented and not as driven as the FSU fans claim. I'm not sure how calling me dumb and a moron is refuting that opinion?
:whoosh: :crazy: Maybe you should head back to the booze.
QUOTE(ConstruxBoy @ May 13 2006, 07:49 PM)I thought Washington looked pretty blah at FSU. I know the Seminoles say that the play-calling was poor, but I don't buy that.

lol.gif Uhh, you would be very, very, very wrong then.

You too.

:whoosh: :crazy: Maybe you should head back to the booze.
QUOTE(ConstruxBoy @ May 13 2006, 07:49 PM)I thought Washington looked pretty blah at FSU. I know the Seminoles say that the play-calling was poor, but I don't buy that.

lol.gif Uhh, you would be very, very, very wrong then.

You too.
:crazy:

You forgot to mention Rix. If AD wouldn't have shved points in the NC State game bobby wouldn't have kicked him off the team, and we would hae had a solid QB for 2 more years.

You forgot to mention Rix. If AD wouldn't have shved points in the NC State game bobby wouldn't have kicked him off the team, and we would hae had a solid QB for 2 more years.
:lmao: True. ;)

He was the only RB to not go down easy and to fight for yardage on every play. I'd have given him the rock every (run)play after that was obvious.

Mangini, however, didn't and seemed to have some sort of rotation he was following thru with. Houston got more 4th quarter carries than I recall the rest of the game and ...there was a definite rotation going on. Until Mangini shows he has faith in one RB I think it's a mistake to even grab one

Until Mangini shows he has faith in one RB I think it's a mistake to even grab one
Actually, I think that's a good reason to stash them away. I don't know if Washington will ever have more than a situational role, but I like what he brings to the table. Smaller backs have emerged in the past, and if he continues to produce better than the others, you never know with Mangini.

Until Mangini shows he has faith in one RB I think it's a mistake to even grab one
Actually, I think that's a good reason to stash them away. I don't know if Washington will ever have more than a situational role, but I like what he brings to the table. Smaller backs have emerged in the past, and if he continues to produce better than the others, you never know with Mangini.
reminds me of the denver situation to a lesser extent... no one knew wtf was gonna happen there, so people just cast their lot and grabbed one or more and hoped. the price is non-existent (a FA pickup) at this point, so why not give it a shot if you have room? obviously the rewards will be less than guessing right on the denver situation but...

I picked him up off waivers lat night after reading this in the Daily News

September 26, 2006, 23:48

Jets :: RB

Jets To Give RB L. Washington Expanded Role?

Rich Cimini, New York Daily News - [Full Article]

New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini is believed to be considering an expanded role in his team's offense for running back Leon Washington. Washington rushed seven times for 25 yards in Week 3, and also had two receptions for 52 yards. "The more he takes advantage of his opportunities, the more they'll come to him," Mangini said.

Okay fellas, I'm in a bye week bind and thinking about this kid so I need to bumpity bump this discussion.

I have to admit that I haven't seen much of the Jets this year other than highlights. In those I see a remarkably rejuvinated Pennington (I had completely written him off) and and offense that has moved the ball despite not having a stand out RB as of yet. Coles and Cotchery are also making the passing game click with pretty stellar play thus far.

The Oline also seems to be playing much better. If I'm not mistaken both first round rooks, DBrick and Mangold are starting. And I'm not sure how long Kendall's been gone, but he's solid and back this week also I think.

Lastly, the competition at RB for the kid is comprised of Kevin Bumlow and Cedric Huston, neither of which particularly impresses me. Both have put up mediocre numbers this year despite the breakout passing performances.

Washington reminds of Jerome Harrison on the Browns. Short, but not really small. Very fast with good hands. I don't recall him having the best vision in college, but truthfully I didn't see too much of the guy.

Why do I get the feeling like this kid might just grab the starting job and not look back. Not necessarily a 20+ carry type of role, but maybe 20+ touches including receptions.

Talent + Opportunity + Motivation right? #1 seems to be there at least marginally, seems like #2 will be there this weekend and I have no idea about #3. Can anyone who's more familiar with this kid comment about his work ethic/character?

Finally, the Colts defense has been a sieve so far and I expect this game to be a shoot out (the over seems like $$$ BTW), so I will be watching the Jets reports very closely the next two days to see if Mangina is any more revealing than his sensei.

No one can predict something out the CH/LW situation....

CH carried 28 times against OAK last season,but that did not give him the primary RB role.

LW touched carried 7 times sunday,but his performance was bigger because of that long reception....

What you think about CH on 1st and 2nd with LW in the mix with a 3rd down back?

No one can predict something out the CH/LW situation....

CH carried 28 times against OAK last season,but that did not give him the primary RB role.LW touched carried 7 times sunday,but his performance was bigger because of that long reception....

What you think about CH on 1st and 2nd with LW in the mix with a 3rd down back?
Houston's workload was under Herm, and there weren't any other options with Blaylock hurt (and clearly not starting material). Not to say he can't handle the load, but he's not Mangini's guy (at least as of now).But overall I agree that no one knows how this is going to shake out. The coach is likely looking for someone to sieze the day, but it remains to be seen whether that happens.

Who's Moore?

Checked Roster and Depth Chart....No Moore.

By-the-way, do the Jets know their Official Website doesn't load properly? Cannot see any of the links.

I watched this kid play on Sunday. If you have a roster spot I would pick him up and wait a couple of weeks and see what happens. No Jets RB has siezed the opportunity to become the featured back right now. If i was a betting man i would put my money on Washington.

I posted this info. a couple of day ago in a different thread but I thinks it best suits this thread, so I'm going to post it again.

Draft Sharks:

Insider buzz on Jets rookie RB

We have a customer who knows someone in the Jets organization (team offices, not coaching staff) who mentioned some interesting things he hears about rookie 4th-round RB Leon Washington. "They have been coaching him up lately," our source relayed. "[Eric] Mangini rode him hard all summer and Leon proved he can handle anything. So now he's been meeting with [OC] Brian Schottenheimer and [RB asst. coach] Sam Gash behind closed doors." Hmmm... This rumor-report lands squarely within today's Daily News article that said Kevan Barlow is "losing ground" to Washington. We already know that the staff couldn't think too highly of Derrick Blaylock or Cedric Houston, or they wouldn't have traded for Kevan Barlow. And now Barlow's career continues to show decline as evidenced by his 2.9 yard per carry. Washington did get 9 touches last week, including first-down work, and most interestingly he was taken off special teams duty. Take our insider report on Washington for what it is - a little bit of gossip - but don't hesitate to move if you're in need. Remember, another 4th-round RB named Domanick Davis once popped out on a similar young team looking for a spark.

I posted this info. a couple of day ago in a different thread but I thinks it best suits this thread, so I'm going to post it again. Draft Sharks:Insider buzz on Jets rookie RBWe have a customer who knows someone in the Jets organization (team offices, not coaching staff) who mentioned some interesting things he hears about rookie 4th-round RB Leon Washington. "They have been coaching him up lately," our source relayed. "[Eric] Mangini rode him hard all summer and Leon proved he can handle anything. So now he's been meeting with [OC] Brian Schottenheimer and [RB asst. coach] Sam Gash behind closed doors." Hmmm... This rumor-report lands squarely within today's Daily News article that said Kevan Barlow is "losing ground" to Washington. We already know that the staff couldn't think too highly of Derrick Blaylock or Cedric Houston, or they wouldn't have traded for Kevan Barlow. And now Barlow's career continues to show decline as evidenced by his 2.9 yard per carry. Washington did get 9 touches last week, including first-down work, and most interestingly he was taken off special teams duty. Take our insider report on Washington for what it is - a little bit of gossip - but don't hesitate to move if you're in need. Remember, another 4th-round RB named Domanick Davis once popped out on a similar young team looking for a spark.
Thanks for reposting. I missed it where ever you previously posted. Gossip all the way, but pretty interesting.

I'm desperate for RB help this weekend with Parker on bye. Right now, I'm planning on rolling the dice on Leon Washington over Buckhalter as my RB2. Hopefully it pays off!

Users who are viewing this thread