What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (3 Viewers)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
If you're new here and don't want to browse multiple pages, these first two recipes seem to have won the thread.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork:

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder
Can of Coke
Dash of Liquid Smoke
Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder,

shred,and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to

crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.

==============

Frosty's Shredded Italian Beef:

3-5 lb. roast of your choosing. I did a 3 lb. sirloin roast
1 t salt
1 t black pepper
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1 t onion powder
1 t parsley
1 t garlic powder
1 bay leaf
2 0.7 oz packets of italian dressing mix
3 c. beef broth
1/2 t red pepper flakes

mix everything except the roast in a pot and bring to a boil
put roast in slow cooker and add all that boiled stuff
cover and cook on low 10-12 hours (or high 4-5 hours) - I did low for 11 hours
remove bay leaf and shred beef, return to crock pot for 30-60 min

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck or shoulder roast.

Put crock pot on low heat.

Add one package of Lipton Onion soup mix. No water.

Just let it sit all day.

Awesome!

It's the only way I cook chili. Nothing like the simmering aroma throughout the house on a football weekend.

Chuck or shoulder roast.

Just let it sit all day.

Awesome!
Nice.... this is the kind of easy stuff I'm looking for. Thanks.

I use mine all the time!!! I never ever use any broth though.. Always just 1 cup of plain water.. The meat and veggies make their own liquids, yummy!

Here are a few simple ones I do often..

You can use almost any large cut of beef... 1 1/2 pounds or so.. *for two people, maybe just 1 pound*

First I quarter an onion and lay the quarters in the bottom, then I lay the beef on top of that..

3 or 4 carrots, peeled and cut in half..

2 or 3 potatos, peeled and cut in half or thirds

1 more onion quartered on top..

No spices or anything. Just add 1 cup of water.. I usually let mine cook 10 to 12 hours though.. You might want to start it in the morning. It can litterally sit all day on the low setting after a couple hours on the high setting.. It only gets yummier..

You might have had troubles with flavor from not letting it cook long enough.

For chicken,

I toss in 2 or 3 frozen chicken breasts.

4 or 5 carrots, peeled and cut in half

1 or 2 stalks of celery if you like it..

1 or 2 onions quartered.

1 cup of water..

Let me know if you want more. :)

I like to use the crock pot a lot because I'm home in the afternoon from 2-4, then I'm not home again until 8:30, so throwing stuff in the crock pot at 3:00 and letting it simmer all day is my best option. Plus, the g/f gets home before me, so when it's my turn to cook, she doesn't have to wait for me to get home.

Problem is, the stuff I make in the crock pot is average at best. I buy the cans of chicken broth, then throw in some boneless chicken breasts, peppers, onions and baby carrots. It tastes *okay*..... but I'm shooting for better than okay. Same with chunks of beef. It fills you up, but the taste is par. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong kind of stock.

Before you ask "Google Down?," I searched for "crock pot recipes" and 50 billion results appeared. I want to know if any of you have personal tips you care to share on preparing meals in the crock pot.

Thank you, kind people. :wub:
I have tried a number of recipes in the crock pot and it is the same thing "Just OK"Chili is a different story though.

It's the only way I cook chili.  Nothing like the simmering aroma throughout the house on a football weekend.
I also do that on Sundays in the fall, only with my famous spicy meatballs. That's the only thing I've made in the crock pot which comes out great.
PM me the meatball recipe please.Planning on competing in the state Chili Cookoff this Fall...which significantly differs from the crockpot style I am used to. Should be interesting.

are the Banquet Crock Pot bagged food you get in the frozen food aisle any good or garbage?

I use mine all the time!!! I never ever use any broth though.. Always just 1 cup of plain water.. The meat and veggies make their own liquids, yummy!
Whenever I add "just water," I find the food has no taste. Also, does the water (or whatever liquid you use) have to completely be covering the food at the start?
You wont have any trouble with missing flavor if you cook it at least 10 hours.. You don't want the liquid to cover the food.. it will create TONS of it's own juices.

Just one cup, always :)

One thing my wife and I used to make was really simple and was pretty tasty. Just take a beef roast and pout a can of coke over it. Cook on low until done. Very good.

Whenever I add "just water," I find the food has no taste. Also, does the water (or whatever liquid you use) have to completely be covering the food at the start?
I think you add onion soup(above) or a boullion cube

One thing my wife and I used to make was really simple and was pretty tasty. Just take a beef roast and pout a can of coke over it. Cook on low until done. Very good.
that's hard to believe, I just might try it

I think my recipes are fairly old school, all from my grandmother. I have never added anything to mine. If you add more than a cup of water, the broth will be too watered down.

If you get brave Raider Nation, try my way just once.. You wont believe how yummy it comes out. Seriously SUPER flavorful.. so no trouble in that regard. :)

I think my recipes are fairly old school, all from my grandmother. I have never added anything to mine. If you add more than a cup of water, the broth will be too watered down.

If you get brave Raider Nation, try my way just once.. You wont believe how yummy it comes out. Seriously SUPER flavorful.. so no trouble in that regard. :)
I don't doubt you, I would just be a little wary of leaving the crock pot on for 10+ hours while I'm not home. I always worry about a fire, though I know crock pots were made to stay on for hours at a time.
Yeah, I felt the same way when I first started using mine.. Maybe give it a try on a weekend and see how it goes? I might have to get brave and try some of these new fangled recipes posted also. :)

are the Banquet Crock Pot bagged food you get in the frozen food aisle any good or garbage?
We do those on Sunday Football days.The Broncos are (most) always on here at 2:00 pm. So dinner is alway ready at 5:30-6:00 when the game is over.

They are really high in sodium and they feed 3 maybe four.

Taste is okay--but usually I am drunk when I am eating them so take that for what it is worth,

We do those on Sunday Football days.The Broncos are (most) always on here at 2:00 pm. So dinner is alway ready at 5:30-6:00 when the game is over.

They are really high in sodium and they feed 3 maybe four.

Taste is okay--but usually I am drunk when I am eating them so take that for what it is worth,
:lmao: Even Sloppy Joes taste great after 30 beers... ;)

Over cooking kills the flavor. When in doubt, douse it with some seasoning as soon as you get home. This applies to all recipes.

And when making a beef broth based anything, add a small can of V8. Does wonders to a recipe.

Email address for the recipes & ingredients is fine.

I've used the visual of your basement/war room/Sunday Cellar on numerous occasions to try desperately to explain how "understanding" other wives were when it came to football season. Unfortunately, she saw through my line of BS pretty quick...just like she normally does.

Email address for the recipes & ingredients is fine.

I've used the visual of your basement/war room/Sunday Cellar on numerous occasions to try desperately to explain how "understanding" other wives were when it came to football season. Unfortunately, she saw through my line of BS pretty quick...just like she normally does.
Only reason I got away with it is because I had this setup before I met her. :D

Awesome Crockpot Pot Roast

12 servings.

INGREDIENTS:

2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup

1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix

1 1/4 cups water

5 1/2 pounds pot roast

DIRECTIONS:

Mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and

water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.

Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9

hours.

The BBQ Nazis are going to kill me for this, but if you don't have a smoker convenient, a crockpot is a decent way to do a slab or two of babyback ribs. Just put on whatever dry rub and then line the ribs around the outside of the crock. Set for low and let it go for 10 hours. Glaze with your favorite BBQ sauce and finish under the broiler for a minute or two a side.

I've got some red beans going at home for red beans and rice:

1 cup dry kidney beans

1/2 a 14-16 oz. link sausage cut into thin slices

1 tsp thyme

3/4 tsp red pepper

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped bell pepper

3/4 cup chopped celery

5 cloves garlic

3 cups water

1 bay leaf

Serve it over rice and top with some chopped green onion. Yummy.

The BBQ Nazis are going to kill me for this, but if you don't have a smoker convenient, a crockpot is a decent way to do a slab or two of babyback ribs. Just put on whatever dry rub and then line the ribs around the outside of the crock. Set for low and let it go for 10 hours. Glaze with your favorite BBQ sauce and finish under the broiler for a minute or two a side.
No smoker here, so when we do this, we add a little liquid smoke.

I like to use the crock pot a lot because I'm home in the afternoon from 2-4, then I'm not home again until 8:30, so throwing stuff in the crock pot at 3:00 and letting it simmer all day is my best option. Plus, the g/f gets home before me, so when it's my turn to cook, she doesn't have to wait for me to get home.

Problem is, the stuff I make in the crock pot is average at best. I buy the cans of chicken broth, then throw in some boneless chicken breasts, peppers, onions and baby carrots. It tastes *okay*..... but I'm shooting for better than okay. Same with chunks of beef. It fills you up, but the taste is par. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong kind of stock.

Before you ask "Google Down?," I searched for "crock pot recipes" and 50 billion results appeared. I want to know if any of you have personal tips you care to share on preparing meals in the crock pot.

Thank you, kind people. :wub:
I have a great and easy recipe for chicken. Take a strip of aluminum foil. Roll it up into a ball. About the size of a golf ball. Maybe bigger. Do this three more times. So now you've got four balls of aluminum foil. Place them at the bottom of the crockpot. Get the chicken out and remove anything that may be left inside. Clean the chicken with some plain water. Generoulsly sprinkle on some Lowry's Seasoning on the chicken. Put the chicken with the breast side down on top of the balls. Put the lid on and let it cook on low for 4 - 6 hours. It's a freaking easy recipe and the chicken is tender and juicy and good. Get a Butterball whole chicken. I like them the best.

It helps to give veggies some flavor and color by first sauteeing them a bit before putting them in the crock pot. A lot of recipes call for mixed frozen veggies but use fresh and sautee before adding and that will help the taste of the finished product.

The main draw to using a crock pot is it breaks down cuts of meat to a shreadable consistency. Any recipe where you want the meat to be fork tender is a good candidate for a crock pot recipe.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
:goodposting: Excellent recipe. :thumbup: I make this one all the time.

Lazy Man's Italian Beef

3-5 lb Chuck Roast

Jar of Hot Giardinera

Vidalia Onions

Dash of Olive Oil

Crock Pot

Slice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.

Never used a crock pot, but I would think bone-in breasts would work better than boneless (in response to the original post).

For someone who can't cook (like me), it's sometimes the only way to make a decent meal. Here's a recipe I made this weekend.

2 Chicken Breasts

1 can extra hot Rotel

1 can corn

liberal dose of chili powder

liberal dose of garlic powder

Cook on low for 7 hours, shred chicken with a fork, serve in soft tortilla shells.

Chuck or shoulder roast.

Just let it sit all day.

Awesome!
I'm trying this as we speak. Just put the crock pot on, and I'm gonna leave it on low for the next eight hours until we eat at 7:00. Bought a beautiful 3 lb. chuck roast with very little fat, and put in a package of Lipton onion soup mix with 2 cups of water and some baby carrots. I also bought Lipton's herb and garlic mix. Tomorrow, I'm mixing that with some big, lean chunks of stew meat I bought. Can't wait to try all of this crap. I don't mind making 10 awful crock pot meals in a row, as long as I eventually find one that is great.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Nice. This will be one of my projects for next week. :thumbup:

You think that's bad? I've done a brisket in the crock pot which came out friggin awesome. I've also done pulled pork as well, which was also good.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

I'd add some sliced onions to the bottom of the crock pot to put the pork on top of, and switch out the coke for a nice medium bodied beer. Otherwise, :thumbup:

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

I'd add some sliced onions to the bottom of the crock pot to put the pork on top of, and switch out the coke for a nice medium bodied beer. Otherwise, :thumbup:
Onions are always a great option. I use this same recipe for corned beef using a bottle of Guinness Stout :banned: in place of the can o' coke and BBQ sauce.

I know you were looking for 1st-hand accounts, but I've also been looking into cooking more with my crock pot, and came across this site: http://crockpot.allrecipes.com/

There are reviews from users, so you can get an idea of what they liked about it and so on.

These pulled pork recipes/italian beef recipes can also be modified for quesadillas/tacos/burritos. In lieu of barbecue sauce and other seasonings, I substitute fajita mix, cumin, chipotles, green chiles, whatever.

The grocery store I go to only has 3 options there: Beef Stew, Meatballs, and Stroganof. The beef stew is not bad for a cheap and easy couple of meals. I didn't care for the other two really. The stroganof was a little bland and I just didn't like the flavor of the meatballs.

Give the Beef Stew a try. If you don't like it, don't even try the other two.

I'm going to try out this one on Thursday. I may replace the cooking sauce with a new bottle if it looks too greasy/fatty after the shredding. Also, I'm sure it would work with pork too. I'll report back.

INGREDIENTS:

1 (3 pound) boneless chuck roast

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

salt and pepper to taste

1 (18 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Place roast into slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic powder and onion powder, and season with salt and pepper. Pour barbeque sauce over meat. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove meat from slow cooker, shred, and return to slow cooker. Cook for 1 more hour. Serve hot.

Great stuff here. I have only made a shredded french dip type of beef roast and it came out well. I'd love to try more though. If I can find the recipe I'll post it.

I'm going to try out this one on Thursday. I may replace the cooking sauce with a new bottle if it looks too greasy/fatty after the shredding. Also, I'm sure it would work with pork too. I'll report back.

INGREDIENTS:

1 (3 pound) boneless chuck roast

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

salt and pepper to taste

1 (18 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Place roast into slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic powder and onion powder, and season with salt and pepper. Pour barbeque sauce over meat. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove meat from slow cooker, shred, and return to slow cooker. Cook for 1 more hour. Serve hot.
Had this last night, turned out awesome. The sauce can get greasy/thinner after the 6-8 hours of cooking, so I decided to dump out the "cooking sauce" and add a new bottle of BBQ for the last hour after shredding for a thicker sauce. That was personal preference though.Served it on rolls with provolone and some side pasta salad (some good baked beans would also work).

I'm clueless in the kitchen and this was simple enough for me to make, so I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking for something tasty and easy to cook.

Users who are viewing this thread