What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

Coq au Vin 8 chicken thighs - boneless & skinless4 strips of thick bacon - roughly cut1lb mushrooms - sliced2 carrots - chopped1 large yellow onion - chopped2 cloves garlic - chopped1 cup chicken broth2 cups red wineSaltPepperFlour2 large sprigs Thyme Season chicken with salt & pepper then coat in flour. Brown bacon. Set aside. Brown chicken in same pan. Set aside. Cook mushrooms in same pan until edges begin to brown. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook until they begin to soften. Put vegetables and broth in pot.Put chicken on top of vegetables. Put bacon on top of chicken. Add wine and thyme. Cook on low for 6.5 hours.
This sounds fantastic. Any reviews?

Coq au Vin 8 chicken thighs - boneless & skinless4 strips of thick bacon - roughly cut1lb mushrooms - sliced2 carrots - chopped1 large yellow onion - chopped2 cloves garlic - chopped1 cup chicken broth2 cups red wineSaltPepperFlour2 large sprigs Thyme Season chicken with salt & pepper then coat in flour. Brown bacon. Set aside. Brown chicken in same pan. Set aside. Cook mushrooms in same pan until edges begin to brown. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook until they begin to soften. Put vegetables and broth in pot.Put chicken on top of vegetables. Put bacon on top of chicken. Add wine and thyme. Cook on low for 6.5 hours.
This sounds fantastic. Any reviews?
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Indian Chicken Stew

3 lbs Chicken Thighs - cut into 1 inch strips

1 Lg Onion - chopped

3 Cloves Garlic - minced

5 Tsp Curry Powder

2 Tsp Ginger - grated

1/2 Tsp Salt

1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

2 15 oz Cans Garbonzo Beans - rinsed & drained

2 14.5 oz Cans Diced Tomatoes

1 Cup Chicken Broth

1 Bay Leaf

---------------------------------------

2 Tbsp Lime Juice

9oz Pkg Fresh Spinach

Cook top items on low 8 hours then add Lime Juice and Spinach and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

Got this from my GF's family. It was very good:

--1 pkg or box of Hot Italian Sausages (I had 12)

--2 Green bell peppers sliced

--1 large or 2 medium onions sliced

--3 29oz cans of tomato sauce

--3 14oz cans of pizza sauce

--A buttload of italian seasoning (really used a lot)

--1 Tablespoon of Anise seed

Sturdy Brat buns

Mozzarella slices

Combine all ingredients except sausage in pot. Stir well, then submerge the sausages. Cook on low overnight, or on high for at least 5 hours.

Line your brat bun with 2 slices of mozzarella, add sausage, sauce, peppers & onions as desired. Very good stuff. (The original recipe didn't call for the mozz, but I figured why not)

Does anybody have a good recipe for crock pot mac and cheese?

I'd like to prep it the night before then let it cook at work all morning.

thanks

Does anybody have a good recipe for crock pot mac and cheese?

I'd like to prep it the night before then let it cook at work all morning.

thanks
Ingredients

Cooking spray
8 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
Two 10-ounce bricks sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
Dash of paprika

Directions

In a large 4-quart slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray, mix the macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes. Turn off the slow cooker, stir the mixture and serve hot.

Cook's Note: If you don't have a slow cooker, grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch pan with butter, add the mixture and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/crockpot-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

Okay, so I am making some Hawaiian meatball recipe for the Crock Pot today.

I will type this recipe exactly as I got it:

3 lbs precooked Frozen Meatballs

Can of Pineapple Chunks--drained (save the juice)

1 cup brown sugar

3 tbsp. cornstarch

2/3 white vinegar

2 Tbl Soy Sauce

1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper

So the meatballs go in the pot and I am making the sauce. Juice in, sugar in, cornstarch in, vinegar in, wait a minute what's this "Tbl" measurement? Just above it, it had me put in 3 tablespoons cornstarch and now is this 2 tablespoons or teaspoons soy sauce? And yet here is another measurement for the pepper "tsp".

I am guessing they meant 3 teaspoons of cornstarch, but now it is too late because I have already put in three tablespoons. I am just crossing my fingers how this mess is going to taste.....

Indian Chicken Stew

3 lbs Chicken Thighs - cut into 1 inch strips

1 Lg Onion - chopped

3 Cloves Garlic - minced

5 Tsp Curry Powder

2 Tsp Ginger - grated

1/2 Tsp Salt

1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper

2 15 oz Cans Garbonzo Beans - rinsed & drained

2 14.5 oz Cans Diced Tomatoes

1 Cup Chicken Broth

1 Bay Leaf

---------------------------------------

2 Tbsp Lime Juice

9oz Pkg Fresh Spinach

Cook top items on low 8 hours then add Lime Juice and Spinach and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve over rice.
Missed this previously. I have to give this a shot because it combines many of my favorite ingredients.

Coq au Vin

8 chicken thighs - boneless & skinless

4 strips of thick bacon - roughly cut

1lb mushrooms - sliced

2 carrots - chopped

1 large yellow onion - chopped

2 cloves garlic - chopped

1 cup chicken broth

2 cups red wine

Salt

Pepper

Flour

2 large sprigs Thyme

Season chicken with salt & pepper then coat in flour. Brown bacon. Set aside. Brown chicken in same pan. Set aside. Cook mushrooms in same pan until edges begin to brown. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook until they begin to soften. Put vegetables and broth in pot.Put chicken on top of vegetables. Put bacon on top of chicken. Add wine and thyme. Cook on low for 6.5 hours.
This is starting to smell pretty damned good right now
Made this yesterday with a rear round venison roast cut down into 3 more manageable pieces and some stew meat chunks. Modifications: Much more garlic, a tablespoon of maple syrup, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, added some summer squash and the sliced mushrooms closer to the end of the cooking time. I served it over brown rice topped with shredded swiss cheese. It was fantastic! :thumbup:

Did a couple crock pot recipes in the last last couple weeks. As far as I'm concerned they work for summer. They don't put out lots of heat, so they work like a grill!!

I did a spiral cut ham. I had seen my MIL do this similarly at a get together this summer. We were at an RV park in Northwoods WI. (Awesome place) and we had 15+ people and her kitchen in her 5th wheel is tiny. So in order to get a dinner together, she did a ham or two in a slow cooker. They are already cooked.

You basically remove the meat from the bone and put as much as you want (great for leftovers in the crock pot. (freeze the rest!) Online there are many different recipes for what to put with the ham for liquid. I put a small amount of chicken stock.

I cooked it for about an hour and a half on low. You don't want to go too much, so it doesn't dry-out!
The other one I did was...

Sweet Baby Ray's Crockpot Chicken

4-6 chicken breast*
1 btl Sweet Baby Ray's sauce
1/4 c vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes**
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder

Mix everything but chicken
Place chicken in crockpot (frozen is ok)

Pour sauce mixture over chicken

Cook on low 4-6 hours.

*I did boness skinless chicken thighs. I think breasts tend to dry out. NBD. The other thing I did was to put a little seasoning on them and then brown them a bit before putting them in the pot. Just because I like things that way.

**I did not include the red pepper flakes because of young kids...I probably could have included them.
I received votes to redo both. Both were liked by all in my family, but the BBQ was inhaled by the little kids!!!

Can't remember if I posted this or not so just in case http://www.tastycrockpotrecipes.net/articles.html Some good ideas in here
Not there! 404 - If you have the recipe, please post!!! :)

Bender, remember I told you about the General Tso glaze from Iron Chef?

I'm begging you... go buy it!!! http://www.mirrotek.com/images/GT15_1.jpg

Cook plain ol' chicken breasts (or preferably the thinner stir fry strips) either in the oven or crock pot, then heat a skillet... throw the chicken in there. Top it with a generous amount of the glaze and cook it over a high flame for about 4-5 minutes. Long enough for it to stick to the chicken.

Serve over white rice or just by itself.

Ridiculous how good this stuff is. I have it 2-3x a week.
Righty roo.this is my meal tomorrow then.

ETA: if the store has that stuff. Philly has some crappy grocery stores. I miss Stop n Shop
I know this isn't Crock Pot, but I marinated pork chops with Iron Chef General Tso, and then grilled them. Received approval from children!!!

Lazy Mans Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.

Lazy Man's Italian Beef

3-5 lb Chuck Roast

Jar of Hot Giardinera

Vidalia Onions

Dash of Olive Oil

Crock Pot

Slice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.
Thinking of doing each of these for my son's 1st birthday party in a few weeks.A few questions (I'm a terrible cook...I can burn water :bag: ):

We only have one crock pot. Can these be done in our Nesco? What setting for that? How will the timing change?

Can I cut these to fit better in the crock pot/Nesco?

It looks you discard the juices for LMPP and it just goes back in with the BBQ sauce once shredded. Do you put the shredded beef back in the juices once it gets shredded? Does that get mixed and served with the giardinera?

Also approximately how many servings does this yield? I think we're having 30+ people (about half kids). Will 5# of each be enough?

Lazy Mans Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.

Lazy Man's Italian Beef

3-5 lb Chuck Roast

Jar of Hot Giardinera

Vidalia Onions

Dash of Olive Oil

Crock Pot

Slice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.
Thinking of doing each of these for my son's 1st birthday party in a few weeks.A few questions (I'm a terrible cook...I can burn water :bag: ):

We only have one crock pot. Can these be done in our Nesco? What setting for that? How will the timing change?

Can I cut these to fit better in the crock pot/Nesco?

It looks you discard the juices for LMPP and it just goes back in with the BBQ sauce once shredded. Do you put the shredded beef back in the juices once it gets shredded? Does that get mixed and served with the giardinera?

Also approximately how many servings does this yield? I think we're having 30+ people (about half kids). Will 5# of each be enough?
Just made this yesterday. Don't know about a Nesco. I toss the juice after cooking, and put the shredded pork back in the crock with just the BBQ sauce. 5lbs does not yield a lot. Definitely not enough for 30 people. I would think you'd need 15 to 20 lbs for that many.

Thanks. I just used 5# as an example because that was what the recipe called for. I'd probably do 8# of each. Plus we're going to have hot dogs and stuff like that for the kids so we're really only feeding ~20+ adults.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Refs New Chicken Dish.

1 package of thin sliced chicken breast

1 8.8oz package of flavored rice

1 pint of sliced muchsrooms

Little bit of H20, little bit of Italian Dressing.

Cook on low for 3-3.5 hours, mix about an hour in.

Towards the end add a dash of salt and pepper and lightly cover with grated parm cheese.

Get a large Pita slice it open and stuff in some lettuce, one of the chicken breasts and the rice/mushrooms.

Enjoy.

I bought a box of Crock Pot White Chicken Chili Mix (the [SIZE=10.5pt]box comes with beans, seasoning, and dehydrated veggies). [/SIZE]You add chicken, water, chicken stock, canned diced tomatoes and chili peppers. It came out really good and is super easy.

I'm also going to try the Cuban pork and beans version.

Trying this tomorrow:

Chicken taco chili

200 calories a serving and made 8 servings

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can corn kernels

16 oz tomato sauce

28 oz diced tomatoes

1 packet taco seasoning

1 tbsp chili powder

3 boneless chicken breasts

10 hours low

Trying this tomorrow:

Chicken taco chili

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can corn kernels

16 oz tomato sauce

28 oz diced tomatoes

1 packet taco seasoning

1 tbsp chili powder

10 hours low
Interesting. Curious how it comes out. About how much chicken is that? A pound?

Trying this tomorrow:

Chicken taco chili

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can corn kernels

16 oz tomato sauce

28 oz diced tomatoes

1 packet taco seasoning

1 tbsp chili powder

10 hours low
Not real sure. I put in 5 chicken tenderloins (guessing 1.25lbs.)

This sounds a lot like my family's favorite crock pot meal.

It is fondly called Choup in our house. The thickness of the finished product depends on how much you choose to drain the cans. If you

want more of a chili, you drain the cans. if you want a soup, then you don't.

Trying this tomorrow:

Chicken taco chili

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can corn kernels

16 oz tomato sauce

28 oz diced tomatoes

1 packet taco seasoning

1 tbsp chili powder

10 hours low
Not real sure. I put in 5 chicken tenderloins (guessing 1.25lbs.)
10 hours seems like a long time for chicken breasts...they dry out pretty quickly...just make sure you monitor

Trying this tomorrow:

Chicken taco chili

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can corn kernels

16 oz tomato sauce

28 oz diced tomatoes

1 packet taco seasoning

1 tbsp chili powder

10 hours low
This is very similar to my chicken chili.

Subtract the corn, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and add a small can of diced green chilies, two cans of cream of chicken soup, and a small can of water. Serve over rice, or crumbled tortilla chips (preferred) with sour cream and cheese.

Lazy Man's Italian Beef

3-5 lb Chuck Roast

Jar of Hot Giardinera

Vidalia Onions

Dash of Olive Oil

Crock Pot

It looks you discard the juices for LMPP and the meat just goes back in with the BBQ sauce once shredded. Do you put the shredded Italian beef back in the juices once it gets shredded? Does that get mixed and served with the giardinera?
Bump. What do you do with the juices? Does the meat sit in it or should it be decanted for dipping?

I'm making 10lbs of this in my roaster this weekend. I'll report back times and temps if anyone cares. Also doing two 5lb LMPP in two separate crock pots.

Also what about concerns over quicker cooking times with newer crock pots? Our meals always seem to be ready much sooner than the times some recipes call for.

TIA :bag:

Lazy Man's Italian Beef

3-5 lb Chuck Roast

Jar of Hot Giardinera

Vidalia Onions

Dash of Olive Oil

Crock Pot

It looks you discard the juices for LMPP and the meat just goes back in with the BBQ sauce once shredded. Do you put the shredded Italian beef back in the juices once it gets shredded? Does that get mixed and served with the giardinera?
Bump. What do you do with the juices? Does the meat sit in it or should it be decanted for dipping?

I'm making 10lbs of this in my roaster this weekend. I'll report back times and temps if anyone cares. Also doing two 5lb LMPP in two separate crock pots.

Also what about concerns over quicker cooking times with newer crock pots? Our meals always seem to be ready much sooner than the times some recipes call for.

Can you put it on the stove in a small pot and reduce it a bit for dipping?

8 hours in and it smells great and tastes good, Shredded the chicken and will see what the next couple hours brings.

If I make it again I will follow Courtjester's advice and drain a couple of the items that come with a liquid (corn and one or both of the cans of beans). A little on the soupy side for my preference. Should have went with the rotel with green chilis instead of just diced tomatoes.

Lazy Man's Italian Beef

3-5 lb Chuck Roast

Jar of Hot Giardinera

Vidalia Onions

Dash of Olive Oil

Crock Pot

Definitely want to keep the juices for the beef (the giardinera juice is what makes it awesome), but I would remove the fat either with a fat skimming measuring cup or by refrigerating and removing solid chunks of fat.

There is no set cooking time for any of these recipes. Every cooker and every piece of meat will cook a bit differently. The meat (whether its beef chuck, pork shoulder, or chicken) is done as soon as it pulls easily and should be turned off immediately. Cooking it any longer will only dry it out (yes, you can dry meat out even when braising it in liquid). The more you do it, the better idea you'll have depending on type/size of meat.

I see people cooking chicken for 10 hours. That's WAAAAAAAY too long. In my crock, chicken should only be 2-3 hours and beef and pork (again, depending on size of roast) should be about 4-6 hours.

Tomorrow ill be making Shredded Buffalo Chicken for sandwiches. 6 large chicken breasts Franks wing sauce 1/2 cup Mustard 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar 1/4 cup 4.5 hours on high, shred chicken and put back in sauce, another half hour on high.
What kind of mustard?
I just use the French's yellow Mustard.
I could see this being great with franks red hot and honey mustard.
Absolutely. You can make it a hot chicken rather than Buffalo and it would be just as good. Seems really easy to modify depending on your preferences. I just wanted to try the original recipe. I was thinking a spicy mustard could be good too and you can really use any hot sauce you like.
I do something similar - throw some chopped onion in, no mustard, no vinegar - just the wing sauce.

Also, I pull it out and shred it after about 5 hours on low (rather than 4.5), then put it back in for an hour or two. Delicious. Always. Was it good with the shorter cook time?
It was very good. My cook time was only shorter because I had it set on high.
I did a variation of this today. Chicken, Franks Red Hot, butter, apple cider vinegar, spicy mustard and yellow mustard. Mixed/heated the wet ingredients in a sauce pan and poured over the chicken in the crock pot and tossed in some minced onion. Was good...but I wanted something more. So I added a little brown sugar, honey, cayenne and white pepper. Turned into a sweet and spicy chicken. Toasted a kaiser bun, piled on the chicken and added a slice of provolone. Damn tasty.

Tomorrow I'm going to try something along this line http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-chili-with-greens-and-beans/

If you're new here and don't want to browse multiple pages, this first recipe seems to have won the thread.I have made it many times myself and it's excellent.Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred,and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock potand cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. :thumbup:
nice!.........pretty much what I was going to contribute, only I'd exchange the can of Coke with some apple juice and lots of garlic.

If you're new here and don't want to browse multiple pages, this first recipe seems to have won the thread.I have made it many times myself and it's excellent.Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred,and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock potand cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. :thumbup:
nice!.........pretty much what I was going to contribute, only I'd exchange the can of Coke with some apple juice and lots of garlic.
It's magnificent. Does anyone have a nice ham & bean soup recipe for the slow cooker?

Did a couple crock pot recipes in the last last couple weeks. As far as I'm concerned they work for summer. They don't put out lots of heat, so they work like a grill!!

Sweet Baby Ray's Crockpot Chicken

4-6 chicken breast*

1 btl Sweet Baby Ray's sauce

1/4 c vinegar

1 tsp red pepper flakes**

1/4 c brown sugar

1 tsp garlic powder

Mix everything but chicken

Place chicken in crockpot (frozen is ok)

Pour sauce mixture over chicken

Cook on low 4-6 hours.

*I did boness skinless chicken thighs. I think breasts tend to dry out. NBD. The other thing I did was to put a little seasoning on them and then brown them a bit before putting them in the pot. Just because I like things that way.

**I did not include the red pepper flakes because of young kids...I probably could have included them.
I received votes to redo both. Both were liked by all in my family, but the BBQ was inhaled by the little kids!!!
I did this yesterday and it worked out great. My kids don't like spicy so I just did a little bit of crushed red pepper and there was no heat on this.

We did it with bone-in chicken thighs from Costco and I'm def using crockpot for the rest of these thighs - it comes out fall off the bone (no need for knife). Very clean way to eat thighs.

I was light on the amount of Sweet Rays that I put in initially and it worked out fine. In the future, I'd like to add some liquid smoke, but that's about all I'd change. As I didn't brown the chicken and simply dumped everything into the crockpot, this was incredibly easy. 2 or 3 minutes prep time tops.

I'm feeling adventurous this weekend. I want to make something different/challenging.

:help:
Although it has the reputation as a middle-aged housewife's haven, Pinterest is pretty amazing for looking up and discovering pretty much any kind of recipe imaginable. Or so I've heard from a friend... :whistle:

Here's a link to a crock pot search that brings up a metric shiz-ton of various recipes: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=crock%20pot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I weaseled out and bought a big, pre-cooked package of baby back ribs and threw them in the cooker.

:bag:

Laziness is an asset of mine.

I'm feeling adventurous this weekend. I want to make something different/challenging.

Although it has the reputation as a middle-aged housewife's haven, Pinterest is pretty amazing for looking up and discovering pretty much any kind of recipe imaginable. Or so I've heard from a friend... :whistle:

Here's a link to a crock pot search that brings up a metric shiz-ton of various recipes: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=crock%20pot.
Hey proud pinterest browser here. I love to cook and its a great place to pick up ideas. Here is my low-cooker board, I broke stuff up into categories after I got too many. Looks like I may be officially retired coming up here soon, so I will take over grocery shopping and cooking duties for the family.

http://www.pinterest.com/trobertsar/food-slow-cooker-meals/

Hey proud pinterest browser here. I love to cook and its a great place to pick up ideas. Here is my low-cooker board, I broke stuff up into categories after I got too many. Looks like I may be officially retired coming up here soon, so I will take over grocery shopping and cooking duties for the family.

Count me in for that ham recipe

:goodposting: :thumbup:

Looking to create my own slow cooker repertoire. Any advice/tips/recommendations for purchasing the hardware? Oval shape looks like a must for accommodating larger/longer cuts of meat, but beyond that I'm clueless. Should I go with high-end Wal-Mart $40 model, or go with something a little more upscale in the $80-ish range. Is the programmable feature worth getting? I'm mostly looking to throw something together quickly in in the morning before heading out to work and coming home 8-10 hours later for a ready to eat meal.

^^^ Crock pots are crock pots in my estimation. You don't need bells and whistles. Grab a new one for $19.99 at Walmart.

I just wish they were a tad bigger.

Count me in for that ham recipe
Where was the Ham recipe?

Users who are viewing this thread