What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (1 Viewer)

Going to make this one tomorrow, I think. Will post results. Looks delicious!! It's from a site called TheKitchn.com they have great recipes and information about cooking and how to run a kitchen.

Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls

Serves 6 to 8

1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or a mix
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 to 1 1/4 cups chicken stock, divided
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 cup brown rice
1 (15-ounce) can black beans
1 cup frozen corn

Optional toppings: shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, salsa, hot sauce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce

Combine the chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, chili powder, salt, and cumin in the bowl of a 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Make sure the chicken is covered. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.

Remove the lid and add the rice, black beans, frozen corn, and another 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Replace the lid and continue cooking on low for another 3 to 4 hours. Check the rice periodically in the last hour of cooking, stirring once or twice to make sure the rice cooks evenly and adding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the rice is tender — if the rice is done while there is still liquid left in the slow cooker, remove the lid and cook on high to let the liquid evaporate. Total cooking time from start to finish is 6 to 8 hours.

Use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. You can do this either in the slow cooker itself and then mix it into the rice, or you can transfer the chicken to a cutting board if you prefer to keep it separate. Taste the burrito mix and stir in more salt or other seasonings to taste.

Serve burrito bowls with a selection of toppings. The burrito mixture will keep for 1 week refrigerated or for 3 months in the freezer. This recipe makes about 7 total cups of burrito mix.

Recipe Notes

Cooking the Rice Separately: If you won't be home to add the rice to the slow cooker, you can skip this step and cook it separately on the stovetop just before serving (use these directions). To modify the recipe, combine the chicken, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of stock, and spices in the slow cooker and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low. Add the black beans and corn, and cook for another 1/2 hour, or until warmed through, while you're cooking the rice (omit the remaining chicken stock).

Vegetarian Burrito Bowls: Combine the diced tomatoes, 1 cup of vegetable stock, spices, rice, black beans, and corn in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. Stir once or twice toward the end of cooking to make sure the rice is cooking evenly.

Beyond Burrito Bowls: Besides burrito bowls, you can use this filling to make regular tortilla-wrapped burritos or freezer burritos

love pork in the crock pot
:goodposting: That Lazy Man's Pulled Pork recipe is still the best thing I've tried. It's on page 1.One good sized pork shoulder, and you'll be eating BBQ pork sandwiches for days!
Man, I am reading this thread and feel like every one of the recipes listed will feed a small army. I am looking to just feed two adults and a child.

How long will the leftovers keep and are they any good? Also, any tweaks recommended for someone who isn't the biggest BBQ sauce fan?

:goodposting: That Lazy Man's Pulled Pork recipe is still the best thing I've tried. It's on page 1.One good sized pork shoulder, and you'll be eating BBQ pork sandwiches for days!
Man, I am reading this thread and feel like every one of the recipes listed will feed a small army. I am looking to just feed two adults and a child.

How long will the leftovers keep and are they any good? Also, any tweaks recommended for someone who isn't the biggest BBQ sauce fan?
Just go light on the BBQ sauce. It's essentially to the recipe.

I suppose you could leave it out all together, shred it and just let it finish in it's own juices and top with a shmear of bbq sauce instead of soaking all of the meat in it.

You could also shred it, and make quesadillas with it instead (melt with a little jack cheese)

Leftovers will last about 5-6 days. Prepare to have sandwiches for a week afterwards.

If you want to use a slow cooker though, this recipe is a must to try.

Just go light on the BBQ sauce. It's essentially to the recipe.

I suppose you could leave it out all together, shred it and just let it finish in it's own juices and top with a shmear of bbq sauce instead of soaking all of the meat in it.

You could also shred it, and make quesadillas with it instead (melt with a little jack cheese)

Leftovers will last about 5-6 days. Prepare to have sandwiches for a week afterwards.

If you want to use a slow cooker though, this recipe is a must to try.
Freezes well too.

With so many regional varieties of BBQ sauce, i am surprised that you can't find one that you like - whether it is Molasses-based, Tomato-based, vinegar-based, or mustard-based.

My new favorite recipe.

Get called back to the Boston Office.

Stop at Legal Seafood in the airport.

Charge a gallon of Clam Chowdah to the company and have them pack it in freezer box.

Put in a crock pot on high for 4 hours

Enjoy!

My new favorite recipe.

Get called back to the Boston Office.

Stop at Legal Seafood in the airport.

Charge a gallon of Clam Chowdah to the company and have them pack it in freezer box.

Put in a crock pot on high for 4 hours

Enjoy!
Nice. That stuff is gold. It is crazy rich though - its like its all cream.

Man, I am reading this thread and feel like every one of the recipes listed will feed a small army. I am looking to just feed two adults and a child. How long will the leftovers keep and are they any good? Also, any tweaks recommended for someone who isn't the biggest BBQ sauce fan?
Try the carnitas recipe. It's similar to the pulled pork but more citrus-y and less sweet.

Leftovers last a week.

This is a good game day special....

Granpa Bill's BBQ Cheeseburger Veggie and Chip Dip

4 parsnips peeled and chopped

2 carrots peeled and chopped

1 yellow onion peeled and chopped

4 Mc Donalds cheesebrgers chopped whole

3 cups of cooked spiral cut honey ham diced off the bone

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

1 1/2 cup of baking powder

1 cup sweet baby rays bbq sauce

pinch of saffron

2 tablespoons of onion powder

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Mix the seasonings in a separate bowl, then mix with the mayo and the pineapple juice. Pour the mayp mix into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add veggies and cook on low for 4 hours. Let mixture set overnight then add ham (must be preseasoned spiral cut preferably from a quality place like Heavenly Ham or Whole Foods), bbq sauce, and cut up cheeseburgers (yes, with the bread!). Cook on high for 3 more hours. Mix in baking powder after 3 hours and set to low for 2 more hours. Serve with pita chips and enjoy! Believe me, this is pretty much one of the best dips you will ever taste. It is really worth the effort.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I literally laughed so hard I started to sweat. I finally gained enough composure to type this.
Didn't read it closely the first time. F'n GOLD.

1-1/2 cups of baking powder :lmao: :cry: :lmao:

Just made this last night, came out awesome:

Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken3 large bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (2 1/2 to 3 pounds total)

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup blackberry jam

1/4 cup hoisin sauce

2 Tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup diced onion

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

1 Tablespoon cornstarch

Sliced scallions, for garnish

Arrange the chicken breasts in the slow cooker so that they are not overlapping.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, hoisin, olive oil, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper flakes, and then pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on LOW for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.

Using tongs, remove the chicken from the slow cooker (reserving the liquids) and place it on a cutting board. Remove the bones then use two forks to shred the chicken into smaller pieces. Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water to make a slurry.

Transfer the liquids from the slow cooker into a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and whisk in the slurry. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook it until it reduces and has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, tossing to combine. Serve the chicken topped with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.

---------------------------------------------------

I left off the sesame seeds, and found that 2 tbs cornstarch and 6 tablespoons water was needed to get the sauce as thick as I'd like. Bone in breasts are key to make sure chicken doesn't dry out. Served over rice, delicious.
Making this tonight. Will report back.

Adding rice to the crock..bad idea?
No, but you have to put it in at the right time. Chicken Bog comes to mind.
How much time for white rice on low? An hour?
You pretty much have to check it. Every 30 minutes or so.

A lot depends on the amount of liquid in the crock pot among other things.

I don't recommend it.

You can get microwaveable rice now that takes 60 seconds to make and mix it in toward the end.

Also if you're making a soup or stew, you never want to mix the rice/pasta in with the soup if you plan on having leftovers. It continues to absorb all of the liquid and ruins the texture of the rice

Yeah I did the rice separately.

Basically did an Italian pulled pork. Pork shoulder with a can of tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, onion, salt, red pepper. Could've done sandwiches but my kids wanted it over rice.

Came out real good.

Just did a pot of potato soup tonight--sort of weird results.

It was a cold, rainy Colorado day today and thought this would hit the spot.

I did a double batch and wow did it make a lot--I mean a ton. I have 3 big Tupperware containers full of leftovers.

two 30 oz bags of frozen hash browns (the diced kind)

two 32 oz boxes chicken stock

two 10 oz cans of cream of chicken soup.

pepper.

Throw it all in the pot on low.

About at the 7 hour mark I put in two blocks of cream cheese diced up as a thickening agent---this is a mistake--it needs to go in earlier because I still had undissolved chunks that I had to manual break up.around the 8 hour mark.

At this same 7 hour mark I put in two packs of pre-cooked cubed ham--again, wish I would have put them in earlier.

When tasting, the salt taste was overwhelming. I would really suggest low-sodium stock next time, but covered in shredded cheese, this was really, really good and the salt taste dissipated.

Did some biscuits on the side and it was a hit with the family.

I have to admit I was concerned about using frozen potatoes instead of fresh chopped, but this was a quick, fairly inexpensive dish that made a ton.
Funny, this exact recipe is laying on my kitchen counter. I am making it Thursday. Bought all the ingredients this weekend. Got it off a facebook post.

Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken3 large bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (2 1/2 to 3 pounds total)

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup blackberry jam

1/4 cup hoisin sauce

2 Tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup diced onion

1 Tablespoon cornstarch

Arrange the chicken breasts in the slow cooker so that they are not overlapping.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, hoisin, olive oil, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper flakes, and then pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on LOW for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.

Using tongs, remove the chicken from the slow cooker (reserving the liquids) and place it on a cutting board. Remove the bones then use two forks to shred the chicken into smaller pieces. Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water to make a slurry.

Transfer the liquids from the slow cooker into a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and whisk in the slurry. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook it until it reduces and has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, tossing to combine. Serve the chicken topped with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.

I left off the sesame seeds, and found that 2 tbs cornstarch and 6 tablespoons water was needed to get the sauce as thick as I'd like. Bone in breasts are key to make sure chicken doesn't dry out. Served over rice, delicious.
Report comes back :thumbup:

Taste unlike most of the stuff you make in the crock, a hint of sweet, but not too much at all. Will add to rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup blackberry jam

1/4 cup hoisin sauce

2 Tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup diced onion

1 Tablespoon cornstarch

Report comes back :thumbup:

Taste unlike most of the stuff you make in the crock, a hint of sweet, but not too much at all. Will add to rotation.
Turns out my daughter made. She said it was "ok." Looking forward to it. She did advise me to set out the cream cheese and let it get to room temp, else it takes forever to melt in to the recipe.

For the lmpp, if I have 8 hours instead of 10 can I do the first part 6 hours or should I do 7 hours and 1 hour
I'd go 7 and 1. The 2nd part is just melding the meat and sauce, which is awesome but not necessary. I'd rather get that meat as tender as possible before I shred.

Last night, I put a 3 lb pork shoulder in with 2 tablespoons of garlic powder, a diced onion, half a cabbage, diced carrots and 24 oz of tomato sauce, couple squirts of Sriracha (2 oz?) & half cup of water. 6 hours later, it was the tenderest tastiest pork I've ever made.

Last night, I put a 3 lb pork shoulder in with 2 tablespoons of garlic powder, a diced onion, half a cabbage, diced carrots and 24 oz of tomato sauce, couple squirts of Sriracha (2 oz?) & half cup of water. 6 hours later, it was the tenderest tastiest pork I've ever made.
Trying this tomorrow.

Except no cabbage or carrots.

Trying this tomorrow.

Except no cabbage or carrots.
My mistake was that I forgot to add salt and pepper. It came out a bit too tangy so I salted as I ate.

I was going to make the lazy mans pulled pork for some friends this sunday.

We wanted to eat it for lunch.

If I turn it up to high how long would it take? I'd rather not get up at 6am to have it ready for lunch.

Thx
I wouldn't go high with this. Cuts of meat like this are meant to be cooked low and slow (whether smoking or braising).

If anything, I'd put it on the night before. Go to bed at midnight or so? Keep it on low til 9 am. Pull it out and shred it, cook for another 1 hour with the BBQ sauce.

Then just turn it to keep warm as your friends show up.

Just my opinion but if you can't get up early to cook it on Low, I'd rather go longer on Low than shorter on High for a pork butt

I was going to make the lazy mans pulled pork for some friends this sunday.

We wanted to eat it for lunch.

If I turn it up to high how long would it take? I'd rather not get up at 6am to have it ready for lunch.

Thx
I wouldn't go high with this. Cuts of meat like this are meant to be cooked low and slow (whether smoking or braising).

If anything, I'd put it on the night before. Go to bed at midnight or so? Keep it on low til 9 am. Pull it out and shred it, cook for another 1 hour with the BBQ sauce.

Then just turn it to keep warm as your friends show up.

Just my opinion but if you can't get up early to cook it on Low, I'd rather go longer on Low than shorter on High for a pork butt
Okay. I'll probably just do this. It'll be good cooking all night?
Absolutely.

If you can make it up to 1 AM even better.

But you can cook it for up to 12 hours all combined (between pre-shred and shred) without too much of a worry at all IMO.

You can even keep it on low with the BBQ sauce mixed in for another hour (for a total of 2 hours) before turning it over to Keep Warm.

It will come out way better than practically boiling it on high.

Question

Normally I use a slow cooker mix for Italian Chicken

Apparently they discontinued it (it came in a little McCormack spice packet and you mix it with stewed tomatoes and tom. paste)

Anyway. I like to cook chicken breasts and sausage in that mix and serve w pasta.

Can I cook these items from raw in just my favorite jarred sauce? I cooked the chicken from raw always. But not sure if jarred Sauce is such a great "cooking" vessel and will get nasty tasting after 8 hours.

Any thoughts?

Hi I'm new here. Doing just a normal chuck roast today. I hate how mushy the carrots and potatoes get when I put them in there the whole time, so I'm waiting. At what point do I add them? With about 2 hours left?

Hi I'm new here. Doing just a normal chuck roast today. I hate how mushy the carrots and potatoes get when I put them in there the whole time, so I'm waiting. At what point do I add them? With about 2 hours left?
I did a beef stew the other day and left them in for the whole time but I like them that way. Maybe just cut them a lot thicker? I don't think 2 hours would cut it if it's on high. I would do at least 3 hours left of a 5 hour cook. Interested in what others say.

btw - how can you make a thick gravy without having to take it out and add flour. I never get it right, always too watery.

Maybe small potatoes..... they take a little longer then you would expect.

On low I assume. I'd probably go 3.

Maybe small potatoes..... they take a little longer then you would expect.
OK. Maybe I'll add at 3 hours left.
I have stopped doing carrots and potatoes in the stew. I only put mushrooms and onions in, then make them on the side. Like it much better. I also use beer instead of water on the roast. Amazing.

Bought an 8lb beef shoulder at costco. Added two large onions, a can of El Pato tomato sauce, a large can of ortega chiles, liberal amounts of onion and garlic powder and lots of cumin (to the point where I thought I was adding too much, and then I added some more). Cooked it on high for 6 hours, shredded it all apart, then put it on low for another 2 hours.

It made a ton of shredded beef, but I've been eating some awesome tacos and enchiladas for about a week straight. Making tamales with the rest of it today.

Pasta Fagioli today

Ingredients
  • 1 pound extra lean ground beef, browned and drained
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 1 jar (24 to 26 ounces) tomato-basil marinara or pasta sauce
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano
  • ¾ teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1-1/4 cups dry pasta (I used fusilli, but shells or ditalini would work well), cooked separately according to the package directions.
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, optional for serving
  • Grated Parmesan, optional for serving

Instructions
  1. Stir together the cooked and drained ground beef, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, beans, broth, pasta sauce, oregano, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a 6 to 7-quart slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours, or until the vegetables are as tender as you like them.
  3. When ready to serve, stir the cooked pasta into the soup. Taste the soup and adjust the salt and herbs to suit your tastes.
  4. Serve with grated parmesan and a sprinkling of fresh parsley if desired.

Cook's Notes
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1-1/4 cups): 238 calories, 3 g fat, 32 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 19 g protein and *5 PointsPlus

Making a 12 hour roast right now with onions and potatoes. Think it's called the CC Roast (company's coming). Recipe came from a retro slow cooker book, but smells fantastic 7 hours in. :thumbup:

Ok...not apparently so retro cookbook.

CC Roast

Ingredients:

3 lb boneless pot roast

2 tbsp flour

1 tbsp prepared mustard

1 tbsp chili sauce (I used sriracha)

1 tbsp Worcestshire sauce

1 tsp red cider vinegar

1 tsp sugar

4 potatoes (I used fingerlings left over)

2 onions (sliced)

1. Place pot roast in slow cooker

2. Make paste with all ingredients other than onions and potatoes. Spread all over the roast.

3. Top with potatoes and then onions.

4. Cover. Cook on low 10-12 hours.

My crockpot goes up to 5. I have it on 2.5.

CC Roast

Ingredients:

3 lb boneless pot roast

2 tbsp flour

1 tbsp prepared mustard

1 tsp red cider vinegar

1 tsp sugar

2 onions (sliced)

2. Make paste with all ingredients other than onions and potatoes. Spread all over the roast.

Sounds good! Will put it on the list!! Is there a 'gravy-like' sauce in the crock-pot when you are done cooking?

CC Roast

Ingredients:

3 lb boneless pot roast

2 tbsp flour

1 tbsp prepared mustard

1 tsp red cider vinegar

1 tsp sugar

2 onions (sliced)

Sounds good! Will put it on the list!! Is there a 'gravy-like' sauce in the crock-pot when you are done cooking?
Yes. About 1/3 full. Smells really good now that it's done

Users who are viewing this thread