What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

Steelnation said:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-S...ver/Detail.aspx

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"2 squirrels - skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces"

Anyone ever had Squirrel?
:yes: Squirrel dumplins are good even though its really hard to get all of the hair off of the meat so I usually end up eating alot of it.
A little hair on your squirrel meat and a few pellets never hurt anyone. My roomate in college used to bread the legs and deep fry them like they were chicken wings. :X

Steelnation said:

:yes: Squirrel dumplins are good even though its really hard to get all of the hair off of the meat so I usually end up eating alot of it.
A little hair on your squirrel meat and a few pellets never hurt anyone. My roomate in college used to bread the legs and deep fry them like they were chicken wings. :X
Come on over to my back yard and you can bag all the squirrels you want. GDB them bushy tailed rats. :hot: :hot:

Steelnation said:

one of my crazy friends back home decided it would be great cook a squirrel he killed when he was hunting and I thought he was kidding so I told him if he got one I would try it.One little bite was enough for me :X

Venison on the other hand....makes for a great roast in the crock pot as well! Very similar recipe to the chuck roast recipe I posted earlier minus the potatos. Great served with homemade mashed potatos or rice.

RBM said:
Indeed it does. :thumbup: Just printed it out. Gonna give it a bid this weekend.BTW, since I started this thread some six months ago, the meals have been coming out much better. The g/f and I seem to like the one best where you simply add the Lipton onion soup mix to a nice roast, with the carrots and taters in there as well. Very tender... very tasty.

I just had the best thing I've ever made in my crock pot, hands down. I'll share the recipe with you.

Crock Pot Tri Tip

In a medium sized bowl combine...

1 1/2 cups soy sauce (low sodium otherwise it will be really salty)

1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

2 tblsp. worcestershire

As much as you can handle chopped garlic

1/2 cup brown sugar

An arseload of fresh cracked black pepper

Chop a half of onion and add to crockpot

add one bay leaf

add one cup of water

Place tri-tip in crock pot

Pour marinade over top

Cook on low for about four hours. The key here is to pull the tri tip out BEFORE it starts shredding easilly. Get it out right when the meat is braised and just starts to pull away from itself with minimal effort

Make sure you strain the onions out to put on top of the meat.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
gonna try this tommorow

Here's a great dip for an appetizer with tortilla chips...

1 lb. lean ground beef

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 16 oz. jar picante sauce

1 12 oz package shredded cheese (I use cheddar)

8 oz. sour cream

2 cans refried beans

sliced or chopped jalepenos (or other pepper)

Cook ground beef with onion. Drain. Mix everything together in slow cooker and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.

That's all there is to it. I made it for holiday get-togethers last year and several people have asked me to bring it again this year. Easy enough for my contribution to the party!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
prosopis said:
Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
gonna try this tommorow
I started this at 5:30 am.The coke does not seem to cover much of the roast is it supposed to? I laid onions down so my pork roast is sitting on the onions. How much of the roast shold be under coke?I will be back in 2 hrs and I can add more coke then if need be.Help me Obi Wan.

RAIDERNATION said:
prosopis said:
gonna try this tommorow
I made it last Sunday. The g/f said it was the best thing I ever made!And "Lazy Man's" is correct..... very easy to make.
When I make this, I use a cup and a half of Dr Pepper instead of Coke. I like it and it's a different taste than the Coke in case you're feeling nuts one Sunday.

prosopis said:
gonna try this tommorow
I started this at 5:30 am.The coke does not seem to cover much of the roast is it supposed to? I laid onions down so my pork roast is sitting on the onions. How much of the roast shold be under coke?I will be back in 2 hrs and I can add more coke then if need be.Help me Obi Wan.
It seems to be doing ok but I feel the urge to put more fluid in. Should I or is the one can enough?

prosopis said:
gonna try this tommorow
It seems to be doing ok but I feel the urge to put more fluid in. Should I or is the one can enough?
The pork should start giving off its own liquids. I add very little liquid when I slow cook. Are you using one of the disposable liners?

Chili receipt we use alot. Can be eaten straight out of the crock pot or mix it with white rice. From my lovely wife:

2lbs ground beef (browned and drained)

1 small onion (chopped) (or dried chopped onion)

16 oz kidney beans (mostly drained)

16 oz black beans (mostly drained)

16 oz pinto beans (mostly drained)

14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained (italian style works best since it has green peppers & spices already in it)

6 oz tomato paste

2 envelopes chili seasoning (your choice)

1 cup of water

Add all beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste to the crock pot and mix well. Mix the chili seasoning packets with the 1 cup of water and add to the crock pot and mix everything well. Add the cooked and drained ground beef to the crock pot and mix well.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occassionally if desired.

(Cook on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours if in a hurry.)

prosopis said:
gonna try this tommorow
The pork should start giving off its own liquids. I add very little liquid when I slow cook. Are you using one of the disposable liners?
You are correct the pork is giving off its own liquids :D I am not using a disposable liner.

prosopis said:
gonna try this tommorow
You are correct the pork is giving off its own liquids :D I am not using a disposable liner.
:thumbup:Grab those liners next time. They're great.

prosopis said:
gonna try this tommorow
:thumbup:Grab those liners next time. They're great.
Where do you get them?The baggy aisle?

prosopis said:
Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
gonna try this tommorow
I started this at 5:30 am.The coke does not seem to cover much of the roast is it supposed to? I laid onions down so my pork roast is sitting on the onions. How much of the roast shold be under coke?

I will be back in 2 hrs and I can add more coke then if need be.

Help me Obi Wan.
:thumbup: Grab those liners next time. They're great.
That's the place, and they look like this. It's a shorter box.

prosopis said:
Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
gonna try this tommorow
I started this at 5:30 am.The coke does not seem to cover much of the roast is it supposed to? I laid onions down so my pork roast is sitting on the onions. How much of the roast shold be under coke?

I will be back in 2 hrs and I can add more coke then if need be.

Help me Obi Wan.
:thumbup: Grab those liners next time. They're great.
That's the place, and they look like this. It's a shorter box.
CoolThanks.

gonna try this tommorow
:thumbup: Very tasty. I do want to get some liners though, cleanup is pretty heavy duty with this.

gonna try this tommorow
Made this today. Felt the same way at first, but kept basting it every few hours to keep it moist. Turned out delicious. Had the in laws over, and served it on a toasted croissant w/ provolone, and used the extra sauce as a dip. Nobody left the table hungry.

allrecipes rocks.

I made this chili recipe. It's not for the crockpot, but it's worth the effort to make. Plus, if you only have a couple people who eat it, then you can freeze some or have some for the next couple of days.

And it's not fire hot. It warms your mouth and has excellent flavor. Especially the next day or so.

(Crock pot cooking is more my style though)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Habanero-Hell...ili/Detail.aspx

allrecipes rocks.

I made this chili recipe. It's not for the crockpot, but it's worth the effort to make. Plus, if you only have a couple people who eat it, then you can freeze some or have some for the next couple of days.

And it's not fire hot. It warms your mouth and has excellent flavor. Especially the next day or so.

epicurious is better IMO.

gonna try this tommorow
Made this today. Felt the same way at first, but kept basting it every few hours to keep it moist. Turned out delicious. Had the in laws over, and served it on a toasted croissant w/ provolone, and used the extra sauce as a dip. Nobody left the table hungry.
What is the point of slow cooking if you're going to open it up every few hours to baste? Might as well make it in your oven.

gonna try this tommorow
What is the point of slow cooking if you're going to open it up every few hours to baste? Might as well make it in your oven.
I've done this recipe several times and actually found that using Pork Butt instead of Pork Shoulder seems to work better for me. The meat ends up more tender and moist for some reason. Maybe I'm just doing the shoulder cut wrong somehow...

gonna try this tommorow
:goodposting: I agree. I never opened it and the pork made its own juices and was awesome. There should not be a reason to baste.

I did the lazy man pork this weekend as well. Doesnt hold a candle to a butt cooked in the smoker, but its still a nice (and VERY easy) substitute to get through the winter months.

I also added some fajita and taco seasoning to the leftover meat and fried it in a pan (just to crisp it a little) and then put it in wraps with some cheese, fried peppers/onions, sour cream and homeade salsa. :thumbup:

I did the lazy man pork this weekend as well. Doesnt hold a candle to a butt cooked in the smoker, but its still a nice (and VERY easy) substitute to get through the winter months. I also added some fajita and taco seasoning to the leftover meat and fried it in a pan (just to crisp it a little) and then put it in wraps with some cheese, fried peppers/onions, sour cream and homeade salsa. :thumbup:
Try doing the Lazy Man recipe with Pork Butt instead of Shoulder. You may like that better as an alternative through the winter months.

allrecipes rocks.

epicurious is better IMO.
I've used them both. They are both easy to use websites.Food Network's website sucks though. And who the hell carries all those ingredients.

Lazy Man's Italian Beef3-5 lb Chuck RoastJar of Hot GiardineraVidalia OnionsDash of Olive OilCrock PotSlice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.
Threw this one in the crock pot this morning. :bye:

Made the Chicken Tortilla Soup yesterday !

It was super easy and I give it the :goodposting:

Gonna try a few others in this thread also
My own version of Chicken Tortilla SoupD’s Chicken Tortilla Soup :)

Just throw all the below ingredients in a Crock Pot and cook on low for 8 hours:

3 or 4 bone in chicken breasts (depending on how big they are or how many you can fit in the pot, add them last)

2 cups water

1 can chicken broth

2 cloves garlic (chopped)

1 white onion chopped

1 pepper chopped (red, yellow or orange)

2 cubanella peppers chopped

1 bunch green onions chopped

Cilantro (I just throw in half a bunch, just try to get leaves only)

1 4oz can chopped green chilies

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper (preferably garlic pepper)

½ teaspoon cumin

½ teaspoon of chipotle chile powder (add more if you like, I do)

½ teaspoon sugar (add about half way through!)

1 lime (cut in half and squeeze the juice of half in when you put the sugar in!!!)

Several dashes of Tabasco throughout the cooking process (I use the Chipotle and Jalapeño)

2/3 bottle Frontera Smoked Chipotle Salsa

2/3 bottle of some kind of green enchilada sauce or salsa that mainly consists of tomatillos

For the last 2 ingredients you can really use any salsas or enchilada sauce you prefer.

About 4 to 5 hours in, take out the chicken, remove any bone and skin (should come right off), and place chicken back in to the pot

Serve with any cheese you prefer, sour cream and more lime. Tortillas on the side or however you like them!!

ENJOY

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this a couple of weeks ago in the Manwich thread although I forgot one ingredient (tomato sauce) when I originally posted it.

Untidy Joseph's (Sloppy Joes)

1.5 lbs ground beef

1 med. onion, diced

1 green bell pepper, diced

3/4 cup Heinz ketchup

1 15 oz can tomato sauce

1 tbl Worcestshire

1 tsp chili powder

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp garlic powder

Brown ground beef in frying pan, drain fat. Add beef and rest of ingredients in crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3 or 4 hours.

E-Z Glider said:
Lazy Man's Italian Beef3-5 lb Chuck RoastJar of Hot GiardineraVidalia OnionsDash of Olive OilCrock PotSlice onions 1/2 thick and Layer bottom of crock pot. Pour in Giardinera and dash of Olive Oil. Place roast on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred meat removing any fat. The broth can be used to dip your sandwich in. Serve on sturdy toasted bun. Eat.
Threw this one in the crock pot this morning. :(
From now on when "Da Good Da Bad an Da Ugly" talks, Ill listen. A few years ago he gave me some top notch advice on brining/smoking some fish I had caught, then I tried his lazy man pork (which was delicious), but this one takes the cake. This is 100% idiot proof, costs less than $10, and the tastiness-to-effort ratio is off the charts. . Literally took less than a minute in the morning to prepare. The Giardinera makes it look like you spent a lot of time on it too. The Au Jus it makes is :rant: Guys, even if you never cook. Surprise your wife and do this (go with the regular pickled Giardinera instead of the hot if you dont like it spicy). May even earn you a :wall:

RAIDERNATION said:
It's the only way I cook chili.  Nothing like the simmering aroma throughout the house on a football weekend.
I also do that on Sundays in the fall, only with my famous spicy meatballs. That's the only thing I've made in the crock pot which comes out great.
PM me the meatball recipe please.
I'll paste it here in case anyone else is interested. There is no "magic potion," but anyone who has my meatballs always say they are the best they've ever had. The hot Italian sausage is the key. Squeeze it right in with the ground chuck. :) Serve on a fresh, soft torpedo roll and use the parmesan cheese liberally. :excited:

==============

Have a big pan/crock pot of sauce simmering before you start making meatballs.

1 lb. Ground Chuck (preferably), or lean ground beef

2 large HOT Italian sausages… squeeze contents of casing in with the beef

1 tsp. Garlic

1 egg

1 teaspoon dried oregano

½ cup parmesan cheese

¼ cup bread crumbs

¼ tsp. Salt

¼ tsp. Pepper

Preheat oven to 325º

Place meatballs on cookie sheet for 6 minutes.

Turn them over for another 6 minutes on the other side.

Place the meatballs in the sauce, and simmer for ***AT LEAST*** 3 hours.

If you can simmer them in a crock pot for six hours, that would be ideal.

Also use a stick of Margarita pepperoni, cut it into slices and simmer in sauce.

This recipe makes 12 decent-sized meatballs.
Just made the meatballs, nearly one year after the post. Absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

Impulse-Bought a crock pot last night after seeing a monster roast for 5 bucks (on sale).

Fired it up this AM... kinda winged it:

- Two large baked potatoes halved and stnading on end on the bottom

- 1 large Onion quartered upright between the gaps

- Roast sits on top

- 1 cup water

- 1/2 cup Lea & Perrins poured over the meat

- 2 TBSP of minced garlic in bottom

On low at 7:50am

Wil check and report back at 11:30am on progress. ;crossesfingers:

Chili receipt we use alot. Can be eaten straight out of the crock pot or mix it with white rice. From my lovely wife:2lbs ground beef (browned and drained)1 small onion (chopped) (or dried chopped onion)16 oz kidney beans (mostly drained)16 oz black beans (mostly drained)16 oz pinto beans (mostly drained)14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained (italian style works best since it has green peppers & spices already in it)6 oz tomato paste2 envelopes chili seasoning (your choice)1 cup of waterAdd all beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste to the crock pot and mix well. Mix the chili seasoning packets with the 1 cup of water and add to the crock pot and mix everything well. Add the cooked and drained ground beef to the crock pot and mix well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occassionally if desired.(Cook on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours if in a hurry.)
Just put the ingredients in the crock pot about an hour ago. Couldn't find the pinto beans, and I substituted ground turkey for ground beef. Looks really good.

Just threw some chicken breasts in over lunch with some stock, teriyaki, and worchestire sauce and some spices. 20 minutes to steam some rice and veggies when I get home.

My wife threw a pork tenderloin in this morning. Some teryiaki, orange juice, honey and chicken stock.

Old reliable..

I've tried damn near everything which was suggested in this thread.

The best combination of "taste" and "easy to make" was the Lazy Man's

Pulled Pork. I forget what page it's on, but it's SUPER good and really easy.

Users who are viewing this thread