What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (1 Viewer)

Going to start trying to create my perfect chili recipe. Any places to start? Also, how do people feel about using a meat other than ground beef?
There's already a fantastic chili recipe around these parts. No need to invent your own.

Make, eat, enjoy, repeat.
I'm sure there is (link for me?) but part of this is the fun of creating one. I enjoy that type of experimenting in the kitchen and I've got a fairly long break from school coming up.

If I were having people over, I may interrupt my own tinkering and use a tried and true recipe, but I just want to try some new things and enjoy it (and hopefully have delicious food as a result).

Instinctive said:
James Daulton said:
Instinctive said:
Going to start trying to create my perfect chili recipe. Any places to start? Also, how do people feel about using a meat other than ground beef?
There's already a fantastic chili recipe around these parts. No need to invent your own.

Make, eat, enjoy, repeat.
I'm sure there is (link for me?) but part of this is the fun of creating one. I enjoy that type of experimenting in the kitchen and I've got a fairly long break from school coming up.

If I were having people over, I may interrupt my own tinkering and use a tried and true recipe, but I just want to try some new things and enjoy it (and hopefully have delicious food as a result).
This is a wonderful Recipe. I read thru a bit today about crock pots/slow cookers in thinking of your question, and the main thought was do it on the stove, reheat in a crock pot adding a bit of beer as needed.

First semi snowy weekend.. bowl games on and not a ton to do...

perfect time for bumping this bad boy....

lots of great knowledge in here.

so i made some chicken in the crockpot the other day. I usually just wing it and toss stuff in. This time i tossed in two lemons cut in half..... Came out great!!!

Making some Sugared Cinnamon Pecans this morning

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups raw pecans
Directions1. Lightly coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.

2. Turn the slow cooker on low and place all the ingredients, except the pecans, inside. Stir to combine.

3. Add the pecans and stir to coat. Put the lid on the Crock-Pot and cook for 2 hours, stirring once halfway through the cooking time.

4. Remove the lid and cook an additional hour, stirring once halfway through.

5. Pour the contents onto a cookie sheet or large platter and break up any large clumps of nuts.

Anyone use a pressure cooker here? Been seeing them in stores everywhere.
Picked one up on black Friday on amazon. My buddies wife raves about hers and said it really helped out at Thanksgiving. Going to test it out this week and then use it for mashed potatoes and what not for Christmas dinner.

Hoh said:
Angry Beavers said:
Hoh said:
that looks great....
I'll let you know. 2 hours in and it smells crazy good. I hope it works out because I dropped about $30 in spices that I won't otherwise use. :-)
Uh, it was ok I guess. Seemed more spicy than flavorful. I will be tinkering with this one if I make it again.

RBM said:
Beef Stroganoff today.
How did this turn out? Big fan of stroganoff and would love a good crockpot recipe.
Really good. Easy to throw together too.

2 lb beef stew meat

10oz fresh mushrooms, halved

1 onion chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 cup beef broth

2 tsp paprika

1 tsp salt

1 cup sour cream

2 Tbsp ketchup

2 Tbsp flour

1 pkg. (16 oz.) egg noodles, uncooked

PLACE meat, mushrooms, onions and garlic in slow cooker. Add broth, paprika and salt. Cover with lid. Cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours (or on HIGH 5 hours). MIX sour cream, ketchup and flour. Stir into ingredients in slow cooker until well blended. Cook, covered, on LOW 15 min. Meanwhile, cook noodles as directed on package. DRAIN noodles; place in large serving bowl. Add meat mixture; mix lightly.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
There's just something awesomely disgusting about making your own sauerkraut. It's super-easy, way better than than store-bought, and impossible to mess-up. With New Years just around the corner, now's the perfect time to start a batch.

Slice 2 heads of cabbage real thin, and add 3 TBLS of salt. Use your hands to really work the salt into the cabbage until it becomes watery and limp (this will take about 10 minutes). Pack it into your crock and put a plate on top with something heavy enough to hold it down firmly. You want the cabbage to be submerged in its own liquid (this will take a day or so). Let it sit / ferment for at least 3 days (I usually go 4-5) until it really starts to smell like krout. Pack it into mason jars and store in the fridge until ready to use. :thumbup:

There's just something awesomely disgusting about making your own sauerkraut. It's super-easy, way better than than store-bought, and impossible to mess-up. With New Years just around the corner, now's the perfect time to start a batch.

Slice 2 heads of cabbage real thin, and add 3 TBLS of salt. Use your hands to really work the salt into the cabbage until it becomes watery and limp (this will take about 10 minutes). Pack it into your crock and put a plate on top with something heavy enough to hold it down firmly. You want the cabbage to be submerged in its own liquid (this will take a day or so). Let it sit / ferment for at least 3 days (I usually go 4-5) until it really starts to smell like krout. Pack it into mason jars and store in the fridge until ready to use. :thumbup:
I make my own kraut all the time and love it. I do not use the crock, I use a rather large glass container. I ferment mine for a month though! I started a batch that will be ready for Christmas. I used one head of regular cabbage and one red cabbage to give it a nice festive color.

I make my own kraut all the time and love it. I do not use the crock, I use a rather large glass container. I ferment mine for a month though! I started a batch that will be ready for Christmas. I used one head of regular cabbage and one red cabbage to give it a nice festive color.
:excited: Nice, I've never let it go that long. Does it just keep getting stronger?

:excited: Nice, I've never let it go that long. Does it just keep getting stronger?
Yes, I haven't gone longer than though. We absolutely love it.

I understand the laziness and goodness of the coke can pork butt. I did it a little different and am pretty happy with the results.

4 lb pork butt however you can adjust to whatever size suits you.

-Take 2 med onions and just peel and cut into halves then cut long ways, no need to dice, onions will take you a minute or two tops. They will cook down and be perfect later.

-4 cloves of garlic, again you can slice up more but I found 4 to be sufficient. Slice them like the onions and add on top.

-cup of chix broth, again you can sub as you like

Now I make a rub with 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon...mix that up and rub it all over the outside of the pork, don't waste any of it. Then place the pork with the fat side on the top do it drips down into the meat.

I cooked it on high for 5.5 hours. Pulled it and the bone fell right out, was definitely done. Lot of fat, able to discard all that. I would say 3:1 on meat to fat, not sure that is right but I think there is between 2 and 2.5 lbs, maybe a little more of meat that was produced.

I shred it and then I drain the onions and garlic but keep them to put back in, they have so much flavor you should not waste them. I pour in about 1 cup of Weber's sweet n spicy bbq sauce, has a nice flavor and the meat needs it but I would not go 2 cups as some recipes call for. I start off slow with the sauce and add until it is covered but not swimming. You can always add a little on the bun or plate. Mix the onions n garlic in with the meat n sauce, let it heat for 30 min to an hour and serve.

I took a Martin's seeded bun, buttered n toasted. Made a side of slaw

Wife says best thing she has had in about forever. Thanks for the thread and inspiring me to make something delicious. I know this method requires slightly more work ut not much and the flavors were awesome. I want to tinker with it and try some liquid smoke and or worceshire sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beef stew going today.

Chuck was already cubed up from store. Used paprika and a little chili powder to give it a slight kick. Omitted celery because I didn't have it but used a lot of small potatoes and carrots. I used chix broth instead of beef broth.

I'm going High for 6 hours and see what happens, they called for low for about 10-12, ain't nobody got time for that.

Did the Christmas ham on crockpot:

Boneless ham

1.25 cups apple cider

1 orange

2 T Dijon mustard

1 cinnamon stick

2 T black pepper

1/4 cup maple syrup

Pour cider in crock. Mix mustard, black pepper, syrup, and orange zest in a bowl. Rub on bottom of ham, place in crock. Then rub rest of ham with the mixture.

Chop orange, remove seeds, place around ham. Stick cinnamon stick in there somewhere. 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low (we did on high).

Turned out delicious.

We had a big hunk of ham leftover from my MiL's Christmas dinner and did a split pea soup. So good.

1 pound dried green split peas, rinsed

2 medium carrots

2 medium celery stalks

1 small onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 bay leaf

1 meaty smoked ham or 2 ham hocks (1 pound)

4 cups low sodium chicken broth

2 cups water

Salt and pepper

Arrange the split peas in the slow cooker in an even layer. Arrange carrots, celery, onion, garlic and bay leaf over peas. Place ham on top.

Pour chicken broth and water, season with S&P. Cover and cook until peas are very soft and meat is falling off bone. On high 5-6 hours or low 8-10 hours. Our ham didn't have bone so we just peeled off the layer of fat after 5 hours and cut ham into pieces and stirred back in.

Boneless ham

1.25 cups apple cider

1 orange

2 T Dijon mustard

1 cinnamon stick

2 T black pepper

1/4 cup maple syrup

Pour cider in crock. Mix mustard, black pepper, syrup, and orange zest in a bowl. Rub on bottom of ham, place in crock. Then rub rest of ham with the mixture.

Chop orange, remove seeds, place around ham. Stick cinnamon stick in there somewhere. 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low (we did on high).

Turned out delicious.
How big was the ham?

Boneless ham

1.25 cups apple cider

1 orange

2 T Dijon mustard

1 cinnamon stick

2 T black pepper

1/4 cup maple syrup

Turned out delicious.
New Year's is looking like a good time to try this.

Buddy Ball 2K3, on 20 Dec 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:
Da Guru, on 20 Dec 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:Anyone use a pressure cooker here? Been seeing them in stores everywhere.
Picked one up on black Friday on amazon. My buddies wife raves about hers and said it really helped out at Thanksgiving. Going to test it out this week and then use it for mashed potatoes and what not for Christmas dinner.
How did it work out?

Boneless ham

1.25 cups apple cider

1 orange

2 T Dijon mustard

1 cinnamon stick

2 T black pepper

1/4 cup maple syrup

Turned out delicious.
How big was the ham?
6 lbs or so. Took up most of the crock.

Be aware that it looks different when done. Just texture-wise. Tastes amazing.

my sister gave me a pork tenderloin...best way to cook it in the crockpot?
MAybe not the best but the most foolproof. Slice up an apple into the crockpot, salt and pepper the pork, pour 1/3 cup apple juice and 1tbsp brown sugar over it and then set on low for 6-8 hours.
We once did a honey apple one. Slice into the pork very 1/4 inch or so all along. then in each slit drizzle a little honey, and then put an apple slice in the slit. Then drizzle a little honey over the top as well. I think we put a similar amount of apple juice as this quoted post.

Boneless ham

1.25 cups apple cider

1 orange

2 T Dijon mustard

1 cinnamon stick

2 T black pepper

1/4 cup maple syrup

Turned out delicious.
How big was the ham?
6 lbs or so. Took up most of the crock.Be aware that it looks different when done. Just texture-wise. Tastes amazing.
Thanks. Quite the diverse ingredients there with Dijon mustard and maple syrup. Which by the way, was this real maple syrup or are we talking Aunt Jemimah here?

I understand the laziness and goodness of the coke can pork butt. I did it a little different and am pretty happy with the results.

4 lb pork butt however you can adjust to whatever size suits you.

-Take 2 med onions and just peel and cut into halves then cut long ways, no need to dice, onions will take you a minute or two tops. They will cook down and be perfect later.

-4 cloves of garlic, again you can slice up more but I found 4 to be sufficient. Slice them like the onions and add on top.

-cup of chix broth, again you can sub as you like

Now I make a rub with 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon...mix that up and rub it all over the outside of the pork, don't waste any of it. Then place the pork with the fat side on the top do it drips down into the meat.

I cooked it on high for 5.5 hours. Pulled it and the bone fell right out, was definitely done. Lot of fat, able to discard all that. I would say 3:1 on meat to fat, not sure that is right but I think there is between 2 and 2.5 lbs, maybe a little more of meat that was produced.

I shred it and then I drain the onions and garlic but keep them to put back in, they have so much flavor you should not waste them. I pour in about 1 cup of Weber's sweet n spicy bbq sauce, has a nice flavor and the meat needs it but I would not go 2 cups as some recipes call for. I start off slow with the sauce and add until it is covered but not swimming. You can always add a little on the bun or plate. Mix the onions n garlic in with the meat n sauce, let it heat for 30 min to an hour and serve.

I took a Martin's seeded bun, buttered n toasted. Made a side of slaw

Wife says best thing she has had in about forever. Thanks for the thread and inspiring me to make something delicious. I know this method requires slightly more work ut not much and the flavors were awesome. I want to tinker with it and try some liquid smoke and or worceshire sauce.
JoeSteeler said:
my sister gave me a pork tenderloin...best way to cook it in the crockpot?
I want to caution you. Tenderloin is much different than pork butt, bet you knew that already. I don't think you will need a long time, I would cook it on high for 4 hours, def no more than 6. Tenderloin doesn't have as much fat as the butt part which is actually from the shoulder I am told.

Not to rub it in but the smell in my crib right now is intoxicating. I threw some red wine into the beef stew. Winging it a little bit. Went with a mix of paprika and mild chili powder, hoping that will work. Went 1.5 lbs of chuck, 1 lb of potatoes, 1/2 lb carrots, no celery, no flour but added a few potatoes to use the starch as the thickener. Also went chix broth over beef broth. We'll see how this turns out but it smells pretty awesome right now. Needs another 2-3 hours. I know they encourage you to not mess with it much but I felt like I had to stir it around a couple times.

Hoh said:
Instinctive said:
Hoh said:
Instinctive said:

Boneless ham

1.25 cups apple cider

1 orange

2 T Dijon mustard

1 cinnamon stick

2 T black pepper

1/4 cup maple syrup

Turned out delicious.
How big was the ham?
6 lbs or so. Took up most of the crock.Be aware that it looks different when done. Just texture-wise. Tastes amazing.
Thanks. Quite the diverse ingredients there with Dijon mustard and maple syrup. Which by the way, was this real maple syrup or are we talking Aunt Jemimah here?
Real

A lot of these sound awesome but does anyone have preferred *healthy* slow cooker recipes? Obviously it's harder to slow cook the leaner meats since they get dried out, but I found a really good chicken (breast) taco chili one that we had last night which was awesome.
We make this all the time:

South of the Border Shredded Chicken

Ingredients:

2-3 Pounds of Chicken Breasts

1 - Jar of your favorite salsa

1 - Diced Jalapeno (Keep the seeds if you like extra hot)

Juice from 4 limes

1 - TSP of salt

1 - Bunch of cilantro diced w/out stems (we use more because we love the stuff)

Place chicken in CP cover with salsa, jalapenos, lime juice and salt - Cook on low for 4 hours

Shred chicken using this method with cilantro in the bowl

You can either eat this now or return it to the CP and cook it for another hour or two.
This sounds awesome and I'll have to try it. I just made something similar:

SOUTHWESTERN 2 BEAN CHICKEN

4 raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

1 can diced tomatoes in juice

1 can corn

1 (12 ounce) jar of salsa

Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes and salsa over that and then layer on the beans and corn.

Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until the chicken easily falls apart when the pot is stirred. Serve over rice.

Another recently discovered favorite:

Sweet and Sour Kielbasa
2 pounds kielbasa sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 cups ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 onion, diced
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

Soften the onions in a pan with some oil, then place in crock pot. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar,
onion, vinegar, water, and salt and pepper. Add sliced kielbasa.
Cook on low for 2 hours.
Serve over rice.

Sorry if it has been asked before but I didn't read the entire thread.

Any recommendations or factors to consider on size of crock pot for two adults and a 13 year old who eats like an adult?

I was thinking 4 qts was the appropriate size.

Any recommendations or factors to consider on size of crock pot for two adults and a 13 year old who eats like an adult?

I think that's big enough if you're just looking to get a meal and maybe some leftovers for a lunch out of it. But if you're trying to cook a couple nights' worth of dinner, go bigger. Also if you're trying to cook a big pork shoulder or something similar, 4qt could be a little tight.

I think that's big enough if you're just looking to get a meal and maybe some leftovers for a lunch out of it. But if you're trying to cook a couple nights' worth of dinner, go bigger. Also if you're trying to cook a big pork shoulder or something similar, 4qt could be a little tight.
In SoCal...we have this casual dining/fast food chain called Cafe Rio...they make an excellent sweet pulled pork. Something like this:

http://www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/2013/10/copycat-cafe-rio-sweet-pulled-pork.html

This recipe calls for 8 servings and features 3 lbs of pork loin roast which seems like a lot of food to me. I would probably try to do 6 servings and use 2 pounds of meat.

I have never used a crock pot or owned one...using this recipe do you think I need to go larger than 4 quarts?

Users who are viewing this thread