What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

I'm cooking this today in my Crock Pot:

Chicken Bog:

1 (3-pound) chicken, quartered (I use breasts only)

1 pound smoked link sausage

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

2 teaspoons Seasoned Salt (recommended: Lawry's)

2 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows

1 teaspoon ground red pepper

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

3 bay leaves

8 cups water (I substitute 1 14 oz. can chicken broth for 14 of the ounces)

3 cups raw white rice

Directions

Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. In Crock pot, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, butter, seasonings and bay leaves. Set slow cooker to desired cook time (I ususally choose 8 hours). About an hour before the cook time is up, remove the chicken from the pot and let cool slightly. Pick the meat from the bones, discarding the bones and skin. Add the rice to the pot and finish cooking (it's finished when the rice is cooked). Remove the bay leaves, and return the chicken to the pot.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
@Juxtatarot

Here the original posted recipe.  I use split chicken breast, don't add butter and add 1.5 cups of frozen peas at the end. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be careful with temperature setting/time and the rice.  Leave it in too long and it disentegrates.  Big fan of chicken bog here.   :thumbup:

got a pot roast going now,,,,,,,,,,,,Korean bbq works well, soy, sesame oil, brown sugar, beef stock, a little corn starch, flank steak, chili oil or sriracha.

I can't bring myself to read 46 pages for details. 

I've never had an Italian beef sandwich. Is melted provolone , sauteed onions and peppers the norm here?

Toasted roll?
I think the traditional beef differs slightly from the crockpot recipe .  Traditional is more a shaved beef I think 

https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1211922/size/tmg-article_default_mobile;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

We usually do provolone (the beef will melt it), giardiniera and banana peppers on an untoasted roll.  I dip in the juice after assembly so you need a fairly hearty roll

It'll be more of a pulled / shredded beef 

http://cdn.iowagirleats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Crock-Pot-Italian-Beef-Sandwiches-02_mini.jpg

Dan Lambskin said:
I think the traditional beef differs slightly from the crockpot recipe .  Traditional is more a shaved beef I think 

https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1211922/size/tmg-article_default_mobile;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

We usually do provolone (the beef will melt it), giardiniera and banana peppers on an untoasted roll.  I dip in the juice after assembly so you need a fairly hearty roll

It'll be more of a pulled / shredded beef 

http://cdn.iowagirleats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Crock-Pot-Italian-Beef-Sandwiches-02_mini.jpg
Thanks ?

Planning to try this this weekend

Cowboysfan8 said:
I can't bring myself to read 46 pages for details. 

I've never had an Italian beef sandwich. Is melted provolone , sauteed onions and peppers the norm here?

Toasted roll?
see post #1 in the thread

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the best Crock Pot to buy on Amazon? They sell a ton of them but all that I've seen have some kind of issue people have brought up in the comments. Anyone have or know of a great one? Price not important, i just want one that won't break, doesn't torch the food or poison me with lead.

What is the best Crock Pot to buy on Amazon? They sell a ton of them but all that I've seen have some kind of issue people have brought up in the comments. Anyone have or know of a great one? Price not important, i just want one that won't break, doesn't torch the food or poison me with lead.
I have had this one for about 5 years and love it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16913518?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000883617&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40345092392&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-78310718672&wl5=9015369&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16913518&wl13=&veh=sem

@Frostillicus I picked up everything I need today,  I'm going to make your Italian beef tomorrow. I'm not a real big fan of dried oregano,  is it prominent?

If it is should I cut it in half or skip it?

Frosty's Italian beef - delicious!

I melted provolone on the sandwiches under the broiler then topped with jarred mild pepper rings. After a few bites I got a bowl of the juice from the crock and starting dipping in that...Took it to another level

Thanks Frosty

@Juxtatarot

Here the original posted recipe.  I use split chicken breast, don't add butter and add 1.5 cups of frozen peas at the end. 
I made this Saturday.  Do you use all that water?  I only used about 5 or 6 cups because that filled up the crock pot.  There was still so much water at the end that I had to take off the lid and turn the crock pot up to high to boil it out.  That overcooked the rice.  I added the stick of butter but I think I'd only add half a stick if I make it again.  Overall, though, pretty good.

Missed St. Patrick's Day so I made a corned beef in the crockpot today.  4 cans of Murphy's Irish stout and a little water on high for ~5 hours.  Turned out awesome.  The stout gives it a very nice flavor.

Osaurus said:
Missed St. Patrick's Day so I made a corned beef in the crockpot today.  4 cans of Murphy's Irish stout and a little water on high for ~5 hours.  Turned out awesome.  The stout gives it a very nice flavor.
I did the same and it was great. Just wondering, normally I don't add any liquids to a roast, what would corned beef without added liquids turn out like?

2.5 lbs of various venison-shoulder roast, stew meat and some sausage

1/2 large onion diced 

1 bell pepper diced

1 jar of chili sauce

1 packet of dry onion soup mix

1 TBS Curry powder

4 TBS Worcestershire sauce

Serve over noodles or rice with grated Parmesan cheese. Delish.

So then you just bake with the oil?  What is left of the cush?  Does it give all it's properties up?  
If steeped correctly the vast majority of the plants properties should be in the oil, not left in the plant. That being said, I'm sure if you were to use the plant material afterwards as a tea and strain it...you would probably be high as ####. Funny thing is I really don't know what the hell I'm going to do with the oil, but it'll keep better than the flower. Those do make some amazing peanut butter cookies.

OK, so after the fat discard and shredding stage, we added 3 7.75 oz cans of El Pato Salsa de Chili fresco and 3 four oz. cans of Hatch diced green chiles. Later we'll add some salt and onion powder to taste. This was for about a 6-7 pound roast, but it's versatile. We'll keep it on low for at least another hour or two. We've done it before and it's always kind of vague, but you can't go wrong if you stay close to this. Then just eat them any way you'd eat carnitas.
Doing this LMPP variant again today and just wondering if anyone else has tried it. I can't advocate for this strongly enough.

Doing this LMPP variant again today and just wondering if anyone else has tried it. I can't advocate for this strongly enough.
Can you back up and post the entire recipe? Between my incompetence and this board's wonderful search engine, I've got zero hope of finding it.

Can you back up and post the entire recipe? Between my incompetence and this board's wonderful search engine, I've got zero hope of finding it.
Just follow the first part of the lazy man's pulled pork (first post in the thread), where you take a 6 pound or so pork shoulder, the coke, and the liquid smoke and set it on low for 8 hours. Then pull it out and do what's in the post you quoted. You're switching out the barbecue sauce for the Chile's and spicy tomato instead, basically.

Taking 5 crock pot freezer meals over to a new dad's house tomorrow: Ropa Vieja, Chicken Tacos, Pork Burritos, Honey Garlic Chicken, Paprika Chicken.

Made Teriyaki chicken wings today.  Very good

3/4 C sugar

1/2 C brown sugar

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp ginger powder

1 C soy sauce

3/4 C water

1/4 C Pineapple juice

1/4 veg. oil

Mix all ingredients together and marinate wings for 2 hours

Put wings in crock pot with 1 cup of marinade.  Cook on high for 4 hours

Mix together 1/4 Cup water with 1 Tablespoon corn starch. Pour into crock pot, stir, and cook for another 15-20 minutes

Take wings out, put on cookie sheet, and put under broiler until browned and crisp(5 minutes each side?)

improvised my pork carnitas recipe yesterday and it was the best bunch I made..........

I used a 3lb pork loin roast instead of a butt and salted liberally.  then rubbed in olive oil and coated with oregano and cumin and a dash of cayenne, onion & garlic powder.  put in crock pot with 1/2 cup lime juice and 1/2 cup orange juice then added a quartered white onion.  cooked on high about 6 hours, turned off and left it in pot, next day I took out meat, chopped & shredded pork, strained remaining liquid back into crock pot (removing onion) , added the pork back and cooked on low another 4 hours till dinner (I added a dash of adobo at the end).  it stayed moist, kinda confit like, but had some dried out crispiness.  the home pickled red onions were a plus.

improvised my pork carnitas recipe yesterday and it was the best bunch I made..........

I used a 3lb pork loin roast instead of a butt and salted liberally.  then rubbed in olive oil and coated with oregano and cumin and a dash of cayenne, onion & garlic powder.  put in crock pot with 1/2 cup lime juice and 1/2 cup orange juice then added a quartered white onion.  cooked on high about 6 hours, turned off and left it in pot, next day I took out meat, chopped & shredded pork, strained remaining liquid back into crock pot (removing onion) , added the pork back and cooked on low another 4 hours till dinner (I added a dash of adobo at the end).  it stayed moist, kinda confit like, but had some dried out crispiness.  the home pickled red onions were a plus.
Sounds interesting but a 2-day cook is more than I want to sign up for.

I have an instant pot.  It's a valuable tool, but not a panacea.   It is versatile.  Pressure cooking is a huge time saver.  Much like slow cooking (which it also does), I don't think it provides as good results as doing a braise in the oven.   But both methods are certainly more convenient. 

I have an instant pot.  It's a valuable tool, but not a panacea.   It is versatile.  Pressure cooking is a huge time saver.  Much like slow cooking (which it also does), I don't think it provides as good results as doing a braise in the oven.   But both methods are certainly more convenient. 
Do you cook boneless chicken breasts in it? If so, do they turn out moist?

Do you cook boneless chicken breasts in it? If so, do they turn out moist?
Not really.  I'm sure I could do it, but I don't think I'd really save any time.  I can pan sear and braise those on the stovetop in the time it takes to get a pressure cooker up to pressure.  What the pressure cooker is excellent for is making homemade stock in an hour. Or poaching a whole chicken in 15 minutes (plus the time to get up to pressure and manually return to normal pressure).  Also excellent for bean dishes that often take hours in the stove or oven. 

Users who are viewing this thread