What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (1 Viewer)

Cowboysfan8 said:
Football season, time to break out the crockpots.

Making frosty's italian beef tomorrow. 

I have meatballs in the crock now for a gathering tonight

1 bag frozen meatballs (80 count, little smaller than golf balls)

1  32 oz jar grape jelly 

2  12 oz jars chili sauce

I put the chili sauce and jelly in a pot on the stove to warm a little so the jelly melts and mixes into the chili sauce but it's probably not necessary.

Pour over meatballs in crock and cook on low for 3 hrs or so

Everyone loves them
I do this too -- it's $$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever do a flank steak in the crock?
I would think this is too thin for a crock.  Money flank steak recipe if you need one:  Marinade the steak with a large bunch cilantro, whole crushed garlic cloves, onions and a bit of orange juice or quartered oranges.  Let this sit for at least an hour.  Get your grill screaming hot.  Pull out the flank steak and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Cook for 2-3 min per side depending on thickness of the flank steak.  cut and serve with whatever sides you have available.  My favorite is making this into taco's but dealers choice here. 

I would think this is too thin for a crock.  Money flank steak recipe if you need one:  Marinade the steak with a large bunch cilantro, whole crushed garlic cloves, onions and a bit of orange juice or quartered oranges.  Let this sit for at least an hour.  Get your grill screaming hot.  Pull out the flank steak and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Cook for 2-3 min per side depending on thickness of the flank steak.  cut and serve with whatever sides you have available.  My favorite is making this into taco's but dealers choice here. 
Crock pot isn't needed for flank steak ...but, it's pretty damn good.  

Doing this Sunday for the games, sounds $$. Probably will do less than 80 though unless I find a big bag of 'em. Guess can always freeze the leftovers.

Although same recipe but with lil kielbasa sounds good too.
I buy an 80 count bag at the grocery store for like $8

Care to elaborate?
No

Well, cut flank in half.  In crock add 1c beef broth, .5c soy sauce, .5c brown sugar, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tbsp. garlic, 1 tbsp. rice vinegar.  dash of ginger, onion powder, sriracha or sambal paste (I prefer sambal), cornstarch.  salt & pepper to taste.  mix ingredients.  add meat, cook on low 6-7 hours.

You can then shred meat and eat with brown rice, sesame seeds, scallions OR grab some flour taco shells and make tacos with a simple slaw.

for slaw, I actually buy a bag of Asian chopped salad, which usually includes cabbage, cilantro, scallions.  in a Tupperware add 1c vinegar and 1/4c white sugar and teaspoon of sambal and mix till sugar is gone.  add slaw, shake and marinate in fridge a bit.  I usually drain before serving.

Wa La

So, it was a 1.5lb flank steak.  Rubbed it with cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper.   in the bottom of the slow cooker, i added 4oz of oj & 4 oz of lime juice, put in steak.  then added 4 cloves of garlic and let it go for 5.5 hrs on low.   after 5.5 hrs, i shredded it, since we were only having tacos with it.   put it back in the cooker with a chopped bell pepper, and another 4oz of oj (would've preferred lime juice, but was out of limes), then let it go another hour.

overall, good but nothing earth shattering.  I'd eat it again, but with less OJ.

Invited X over to try some but he was a #### about it, as usual.
is this the carnitas recipe I posted?  sounds like too much OJ.  also, after the shred you can broil briefly for a crunchier texture.  and you wonder why I didn't show?

Posted this in the Cooking thread, but realized it should be here...

Made this last nite. Delicious, and easy too; I'd even go with 'healthy.' We did it with both soft tortillas and rice bowls, with taco toppings.

Slow Cooker Salsa Pulled Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (16-ounce) container refrigerated fresh tomato salsa, divided
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (3 to 4 breasts)
  • Chopped fresh oregano leaves, for serving (optional)
Instructions

1. Pour 1/2 of the salsa into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Nestle the chicken breasts into the salsa in a single layer. Pour the remaining half of the salsa over the top of the chicken.
  2. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours, or HIGH for 1 to 2 hours. The chicken is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 165°F.
  3. Turn off the slow cooker and transfer chicken to a cutting board. Shred the chicken with 2 forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and toss with the salsa.
  4. Sprinkle with the fresh oregano if desired and serve.

No

Well, cut flank in half.  In crock add 1c beef broth, .5c soy sauce, .5c brown sugar, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tbsp. garlic, 1 tbsp. rice vinegar.  dash of ginger, onion powder, sriracha or sambal paste (I prefer sambal), cornstarch.  salt & pepper to taste.  mix ingredients.  add meat, cook on low 6-7 hours.

You can then shred meat and eat with brown rice, sesame seeds, scallions OR grab some flour taco shells and make tacos with a simple slaw.

for slaw, I actually buy a bag of Asian chopped salad, which usually includes cabbage, cilantro, scallions.  in a Tupperware add 1c vinegar and 1/4c white sugar and teaspoon of sambal and mix till sugar is gone.  add slaw, shake and marinate in fridge a bit.  I usually drain before serving.

Wa La
I believe I will be making this at some point this weekend. 

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork:

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder
Can of Coke
Dash of Liquid Smoke
Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder,

shred,and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to

crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.

==============

Is this pulled pork still the winner of the thread? I see it's from '06 :unsure:

Seems too easy

have a pretty light chili...

in a crock pot add 4 cups chicken stock, 2 cups dry white navy beans, 8 oz diced white onion, tbsp cumin and oregano, 8 cloves minced garlic and 8-10 oz of a jarred salsa verde, turn on low.  prep a 2-3 lb. pork loin roast by liberally salting and rubbing in cumin, oregano and adobo.  cuts into bite sized cubes and add to pot.  low for 7 hours.  wa la!  eat with chips and guacamole.

buy a bone-in ham.

dump 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar in the bottom of a crock pot. coat the rest of the ham with another half cup.

turn the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.

eat sugary, hammy, deliciousness for dinner.

buy a bone-in ham.

dump 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar in the bottom of a crock pot. coat the rest of the ham with another half cup.

turn the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.

eat sugary, hammy, deliciousness for dinner.
Is the proper method of carving to slice off a nice big piece off the front end, place that aside for you and then carve for everyone else?

Is the proper method of carving to slice off a nice big piece off the front end, place that aside for you and then carve for everyone else?
the proper method is to eat bits and parts off the ham all day until only the bone is left for your guests to stare at come dinner time

Made crockpot lasagne tonight. Wife and kids loved it.

brown up some italian sausage and sautee some onions and garlic after draining fat.

mix a small container of ricotta cheese with some mozzarella, 2 eggs, garlic powder, black pepper and a handful of minced flatleaf parsley.

layer jarred sauce on the bottom of crockpot (Rao’s is nice) then top with the oven-ready lasagne noodles, a layer of ricotta, a layer of meat and some shredded mozzarella. Repeat layers until you’re out of stuff. Turn the crockpot uo to High and cook for 3 hours.

brown up some italian sausage and sautee some onions and garlic after draining fat.

mix a small container of ricotta cheese with some mozzarella, 2 eggs, garlic powder, black pepper and a handful of minced flatleaf parsley.

layer jarred sauce on the bottom of crockpot (Rao’s is nice) then top with the oven-ready lasagne noodles, a layer of ricotta, a layer of meat and some shredded mozzarella. Repeat layers until you’re out of stuff. Turn the crockpot uo to High and cook for 3 hours.
Great idea.  Always bake mine, but this sounds fun. 

ProstheticRGK said:

Sounds like you'd need a sandblaster to clean the crockpot after that.

have a pretty light chili...

in a crock pot add 4 cups chicken stock, 2 cups dry white navy beans, 8 oz diced white onion, tbsp cumin and oregano, 8 cloves minced garlic and 8-10 oz of a jarred salsa verde, turn on low.  prep a 2-3 lb. pork loin roast by liberally salting and rubbing in cumin, oregano and adobo.  cuts into bite sized cubes and add to pot.  low for 7 hours.  wa la!  eat with chips and guacamole.
Do you sear the pork before adding to the crock?

I had a bunch of leftover sauce so I made this over the weekend.  It turned out OK but IMO wasn't a significant improvement over the traditional method in terms of flavor, texture or level of effort.  I guess being able to prepare it early in the day and not occupying over space could be considered advantages.

My crockpot is round so I had to increase the number of layers in order to use up the ingredients.  The result was the world's tallest lasagna.  I was worried about getting it out of the pot and onto the plate but it held together well.   The browned mozzarella top is one of the best parts of the dish so the reduced surface area in the crockpot version was a negative.

My mom is dealing with some health issues and is getting a blood transfusion today, so the doctor wanted her to load up on iron.  She can't deal with anything too spicy, so I just did a quick google search for "Steak Soup" and found this recipe.  I followed it verbatim, but instead of 2 c egg wide noodles, I just used 1 c (which is an 8oz uncooked package, right? 8oz = 1 c?).  Well, when I put the noodles in for the final 30 minutes, it absorbed all the liquid. So it was no longer a soup....more like a stroganoff.  It was still good, but I'm wondering what the hell I did wrong.  

My mom is dealing with some health issues and is getting a blood transfusion today, so the doctor wanted her to load up on iron.  She can't deal with anything too spicy, so I just did a quick google search for "Steak Soup" and found this recipe.  I followed it verbatim, but instead of 2 c egg wide noodles, I just used 1 c (which is an 8oz uncooked package, right? 8oz = 1 c?).  Well, when I put the noodles in for the final 30 minutes, it absorbed all the liquid. So it was no longer a soup....more like a stroganoff.  It was still good, but I'm wondering what the hell I did wrong.  
8 fluid Oz = 1 cup, but not sure you can apply it to dry ingredients , so my guess is you put too much noodles

It's like when my wife made some dessert with crushed pretzels on the bottom.  She measured out 1 cup of pretzels and said it didn't look like enough.   Then I told her to crush them and measure again and it was only like 1/4 cup

8 fluid Oz = 1 cup, but not sure you can apply it to dry ingredients , so my guess is you put too much noodles

It's like when my wife made some dessert with crushed pretzels on the bottom.  She measured out 1 cup of pretzels and said it didn't look like enough.   Then I told her to crush them and measure again and it was only like 1/4 cup
Yeah, that's probably it.  I should have measured it out.  Just had leftovers and it's really good, but soup it is not.

I had a bunch of leftover sauce so I made this over the weekend.  It turned out OK but IMO wasn't a significant improvement over the traditional method in terms of flavor, texture or level of effort.  I guess being able to prepare it early in the day and not occupying over space could be considered advantages.

My crockpot is round so I had to increase the number of layers in order to use up the ingredients.  The result was the world's tallest lasagna.  I was worried about getting it out of the pot and onto the plate but it held together well.   The browned mozzarella top is one of the best parts of the dish so the reduced surface area in the crockpot version was a negative.
I agree with you about preferring the oven. The crispy cheese on top and the corner pieces are the best.

When i do an oven lasagne, I usually handmake the sauce and boil the noodles, and make a bechamel, or a four-cheese sauce. This was just a quicker, easier method than what i do in the oven. Plus, had soccer practice and guitar lessons to go to and it was still hot out that day, so I didnt feel like turning the oven on and being stuck watching it for an hour. 

So what are the "BEST OF" recipes in here?  I know the OP has two recipes that are well received, but there is bound to be some hidden gems buried in the 50 pages here.  Anybody got a couple of 'go to' recipes from here?  Going to rain hard all weekend long and I'm feeling like trying some new things in the crockpot.  

Users who are viewing this thread