What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (5 Viewers)

So what are the "BEST OF" recipes in here?  I know the OP has two recipes that are well received, but there is bound to be some hidden gems buried in the 50 pages here.  Anybody got a couple of 'go to' recipes from here?  Going to rain hard all weekend long and I'm feeling like trying some new things in the crockpot.  
It has been mentioned in here a number of times and this is my favorite crock pot recipe.

Italian Roast Pork Sandwiches

Pork roasts in general were made for crock pots (or vice versa).  Tony Luke's seasoning rub is one of hundred different directions you can take your butt (or shoulder).
What's your go-to, Eephus?  I see a lot of calls for soda, but I don't drink that swill and think it would be overly sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your go-to, Eephus?  I see a lot of calls for soda, but I don't drink that swill and think it would be overly sweet.
Mostly dry rubs.  Pork roasts have a lot of fat so it doesn't need much additional liquid IMO.  I usually sear the meat first.  If it's a spice rub, you can rub then sear but a rub that mostly herb based should be done after the sear. 

For spice rubs, I like Ras El Hanout, Chinese Five Spice, dry mustard/brown sugar, cumin/chili, cumin/coriander.  Herb rubs are more subtle.  Stuffing a few cloves of garlic inside the roast is usually a good idea.  Draping a couple of slices of bacon over the top doesn't hurt either.  One time, I had an almost empty jar of peanut butter so I smeared that all over the roast.  It was alright but I probably won't try that again.

As you can probably tell, I'm not really scientific about the process.  You're cooking a big hunk of meat for 6+ hours so the seasonings get absorbed and mellowed.  The one thing I tried that really didn't work was a rub with a bunch of lemon zest.  The end result had a slight bitterness that wasn't appealing although that may have been because I was using some old lemons that I didn't want to waste.

ETA:  putting a layer of roughly cut onions, celery and/or carrots beneath the roast adds a nice flavor.  The vegetables get mushed during cooking and really aren't great for eating afterwards (but our dog loves the carrots mixed in with his kibble)

General Malaise said:
So what are the "BEST OF" recipes in here?  I know the OP has two recipes that are well received, but there is bound to be some hidden gems buried in the 50 pages here.  Anybody got a couple of 'go to' recipes from here?  Going to rain hard all weekend long and I'm feeling like trying some new things in the crockpot.  
I like the 3 packet roast (packet of brown gravy, italian dressing mix and ranch dressing in a cup of water poured over a chuck roast I also add onions and mushrooms - cook for 8+ hours, served with mashed potatoes or egg noodles).

Pesto Chicken (4-6 chicken breasts on the bottom of the crock pot, cover with pesto and put tinfoil over it. Put potatoes on top of the tinfoil. Cook for 4-6 hours).

Barbacoa

Ingredients

3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed), cut into 2-inch chunks

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped (or more to taste)

1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

3 bay leaves

1 Tablespoon ground cumin

1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/2 cup beef broth or water

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a slow cooker. Toss gently to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the beef is tender and falls apart easily when shredded with a fork.

Using two forks, shred the beef into bite-sized pieces inside of the slow cooker. Toss the beef with the juices, then cover and let the barbacoa beef soak up the juices for an extra 10 minutes. Remove cover and use a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon to serve the barbacoa beef.

If not using immediately, refrigerate the barbacoa beef with its juices in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Or freeze it for up to 3 months.

Does anyone know how long I can safely hold pulled pork on "keep warm" setting in a crock?

I put a brick of frozen cooked pulled pork in on low and it didn't take nearly as long as I assumed it would to thaw and warm up

Does anyone know how long I can safely hold pulled pork on "keep warm" setting in a crock?

I put a brick of frozen cooked pulled pork in on low and it didn't take nearly as long as I assumed it would to thaw and warm up
Should be fine for a couple hours easily. How long you looking at?

Just made the meatballs, nearly one year after the post. Absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Much appreciated.

:thumbup:
February 18, 2007 · Report post

RAIDERNATION said:

Bradshaw said:

RAIDERNATION said:

Bradshaw said:

It's the only way I cook chili.  Nothing like the simmering aroma throughout the house on a football weekend.

I also do that on Sundays in the fall, only with my famous spicy meatballs.

That's the only thing I've made in the crock pot which comes out great.

PM me the meatball recipe please.I'll paste it here in case anyone else is interested. There is no "magic potion," but anyone who has my meatballs always say they are the best they've ever had. The hot Italian sausage is the key. Squeeze it right in with the ground chuck. 

Serve on a fresh, soft torpedo roll and use the parmesan cheese liberally. 

==============

Have a big pan/crock pot of sauce simmering before you start making meatballs.

1 lb. Ground Chuck (preferably), or lean ground beef

2 large HOT Italian sausages… squeeze contents of casing in with the beef

1 tsp. Garlic

1 egg

1 teaspoon dried oregano

½ cup parmesan cheese

¼ cup bread crumbs

¼ tsp. Salt

¼ tsp. Pepper

Preheat oven to 325º

Place meatballs on cookie sheet for 6 minutes.

Turn them over for another 6 minutes on the other side.

Place the meatballs in the sauce, and simmer for ***AT LEAST*** 3 hours.

If you can simmer them in a crock pot for six hours, that would be ideal.

Also use a stick of Margarita pepperoni, cut it into slices and simmer in sauce.

This recipe makes 12 decent-sized meatballs.

RN's meatball recipe still a fan favorite............... running out right now for the store at the request of two teenagers and a wife!!

RAIDERNATION said:

Bradshaw said:

RAIDERNATION said:

Bradshaw said:

It's the only way I cook chili.  Nothing like the simmering aroma throughout the house on a football weekend.

PM me the meatball recipe please.I'll paste it here in case anyone else is interested. There is no "magic potion," but anyone who has my meatballs always say they are the best they've ever had. The hot Italian sausage is the key. Squeeze it right in with the ground chuck. 

==============

1 tsp. Garlic

1 egg

1 teaspoon dried oregano

½ cup parmesan cheese

¼ cup bread crumbs

¼ tsp. Salt

¼ tsp. Pepper

Preheat oven to 325º

Also use a stick of Margarita pepperoni, cut it into slices and simmer in sauce.

RN's meatball recipe still a fan favorite............... running out right now for the store at the request of two teenagers and a wife!!
what sauce are you using

Doing pork carnitas in the crock pot today.

Bought a 5 pound pork shoulder. Threw it in the crock pot with:

Salt

Pepper

Cumin

Onions

Garlic

Mexican oregano

Fresh squeezed oranges

Fresh squeezed limes

One bottle of Mexican coke

Gonna serve later with fresh tortillas I got at my local Mexican taqueria yesterday. When the pork is done I will put in a pan with some oil and juices from the pot to give some of the pork some crunch.

Will garnish with cilantro, radish, tomato, onion, pepper - all from the farmers market yesterday. A little bit of salsa to finish it off.

Here's a great one:

The Best Meatballs

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Meatballs/Detail.aspx

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef

1 pound ground veal

1 pound ground pork (if you cannot find ground veal, double the ground pork)

3 cloves garlic, minced (or ½ tsp garlic powder)

3 eggs

1 ½ cup freshly grated Romano cheese (or grated Parmesan cheese)

2 tablespoons parsley

salt and ground black pepper to taste

2 cups bread crumbs

2 cups milk

2 jars (32 oz) spaghetti sauce

Directions:

Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.

Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add the milk one 1/2 cup at a time. The mixture should be very sloppy but still hold its shape when rolled into meatballs.

Bake meatballs at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; put sheet of parchment paper on the cookie sheet so the meatballs don’t stick.

Heat meatballs in sauce in crock pot (put meatballs in first; pour sauce over afterward) for 3 hours.

RAIDERNATION said:

Bradshaw said:

RAIDERNATION said:

Bradshaw said:

==============

1 tsp. Garlic

1 egg

1 teaspoon dried oregano

½ cup parmesan cheese

¼ cup bread crumbs

¼ tsp. Salt

¼ tsp. Pepper

Preheat oven to 325º

the 12 meatballs make how many sandwiches? 3? 4?

the 12 meatballs make how many sandwiches? 3? 4?
I guess - I suppose it all depends on how big a sammich you want. 

I actually made a double batch yesterday and got closer to 36 meatballs figuring if they were a little smaller they would cook a little faster ...........

I guess - I suppose it all depends on how big a sammich you want. 

I actually made a double batch yesterday and got closer to 36 meatballs figuring if they were a little smaller they would cook a little faster ...........
I am feeding 6 or 7 guys lunch this weekend, so I was probably going to do a double batch. Do you think that is enough? Also, does a double batch of this recipe fit in a 6 quart crockpot?

Thanks,

I am feeding 6 or 7 guys lunch this weekend, so I was probably going to do a double batch. Do you think that is enough? Also, does a double batch of this recipe fit in a 6 quart crockpot?

Thanks,
I guess. Depends upon how hungry the dudes are. I am not sure on sizes on crock pots. Mine is an average size i guess and a double batch fit easily. 

Did this yesterday, but did the Cincinnati Roast.  Basically the above with a pound of whole mushrooms.  Good to see this has an entire jar of peppers, too.  First recipe I tried said "a few" peppers and didn't include the juice.  Big mistake.
I thought the Cincinnati version would be dumping in a can of dog food and then serving it over spaghetti? 

I made a variation of the OG lazy pulled pork recipe up top for a tailgate this weekend. So simple, so delicious. Recipe I found used a bunch of sliced onions under the shoulder, which were awesome to mix into the meat once the liquid was drained and everything got mixed together. My spice rub had a little too much cumin so I'd ease back on that next time and go for more heat. 

Did this today.  I had a 7 lb. shoulder so tripled the ingredients.  It was awesome, but maybe too much rosemary.  I don't really measure ingredients so maybe I used too much.  Also added hot peppers.
I'm looking forward to trying this one.  Just did the Italian Beef again, probably try this one next weekend maybe

RAIDERNATION said:

Bradshaw said:

RAIDERNATION said:

Bradshaw said:

==============

1 tsp. Garlic

1 egg

1 teaspoon dried oregano

½ cup parmesan cheese

¼ cup bread crumbs

¼ tsp. Salt

¼ tsp. Pepper

Preheat oven to 325º

Made this this past weekend. Turned out great. I doubled the recipe for the meatballs but just used one jar of sauce. Good on subs, but would also be good as a sauce and meatballs for spaghetti. Nice amount of heat without being too much.

Made a nice potato soup on New years Eve. Leftovers tonight.

Ingredients

6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 -inch cubes

1 large onion, chopped

1 quart chicken broth

3 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)

1⁄4 cup butter

2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 cup cream or 1 cup half-and-half cream

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

1 cup sour cream (optional)

8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled cheese, for sprinkling

Combine first seven ingredients in a large crock pot; cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours (potato should be tender).

Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.

Stir in cream, cheese and chives.

Top with sour cream (if used), sprinkle with bacon and more cheese.

ETA: I added a few chopped strips of cooked bacon in the beginning and topped with a little more when served.

For those of which who have tried making the Mississippi pot roast recipe (in either the spicy or mild version)--do any of you know if this same recipe would translate well with  chicken?  The flavor profile seems like something that I would enjoy--but I am trying to watch my intake of red meat.   

For those of which who have tried making the Mississippi pot roast recipe (in either the spicy or mild version)--do any of you know if this same recipe would translate well with  chicken?  The flavor profile seems like something that I would enjoy--but I am trying to watch my intake of red meat.   
Maybe with boneless chicken thighs but I don't think it would work well with breasts...but the only way to find out is to try it. Chicken's pretty cheap :thumbup:

My MIL gave me a small pork tenderloin (looks similar to this). Never cooked one of these, what is the best way?

My MIL gave me a small pork tenderloin (looks similar to this). Never cooked one of these, what is the best way?
I do them on the grill but never tried in a slow cooker. You're probably better off in the oven. I stuff them with spinach, mushrooms, peppers, etc.

I recently got my first crock pot and made chicken/vegetable soup yesterday. Had a ton leftover so i put foil over the insert and put it in the fridge. I was planning on just reheating it in the crockpot today but after reading how reheating in the crockpot is a bad I idea in terms of food safety I'm having second thoughts. Anyone just reheat their leftovers in the crockpot? Bad idea? No problem?

I recently got my first crock pot and made chicken/vegetable soup yesterday. Had a ton leftover so i put foil over the insert and put it in the fridge. I was planning on just reheating it in the crockpot today but after reading how reheating in the crockpot is a bad I idea in terms of food safety I'm having second thoughts. Anyone just reheat their leftovers in the crockpot? Bad idea? No problem?
Why would reheat something for hours instead of just warming it up in microwave for a few minutes?

It had already been reheating in the CP for an hour before I wondered whether or not this was a good idea. Never had one before. Wasn't going to eat it right away and thought in the CP was the easiest way to reheat a big batch. Just stick the insert back in, press the button and watch the game. Guess not. Smells good though.

I just dumped 4 pounds of cubed chicken breast, 4 russet potatoes cubed, chopped garlic, handful of chopped carrots, 24 oz of tomato sauce, a big splash of beef broth (ran out of chicken broth), sprinkled dried oregano, garlic salt and basil. Set on low for 6 hours.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. :oldunsure:   

Nipsey said:
It had already been reheating in the CP for an hour before I wondered whether or not this was a good idea. Never had one before. Wasn't going to eat it right away and thought in the CP was the easiest way to reheat a big batch. Just stick the insert back in, press the button and watch the game. Guess not. Smells good though.
seems reasonable to me....i am sure it is fine to eat

Users who are viewing this thread