What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

love pork in the crock pot
:thumbup: That Lazy Man's Pulled Pork recipe is still the best thing I've tried. It's on page 1.One good sized pork shoulder, and you'll be eating BBQ pork sandwiches for days!
In the pot since 9:30am:1 Boston Butt on a bed of onions1 bottle of root beerSeasoned with:Lawry'sLawry's Garlic saltBlack pepperFamous Dave's Rib RubCrazy Jane's mixed salta little brown sugar2 dashes of liquid smokeI topped it off with more chopped onion and a tablespoon (or 2) of chopped garlic. Oh, the aroma!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Is this in the spice section? :confused:

I've done lamb shanks braised in red wine in there and they've come out really well. Season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper before you brown the shanks in some olive oil in a skillet and place them in the pot over some sliced onions (use leeks in there if you want something different). Deglaze the skillet with a little bit of red wine to scrape up any browned bits and dump the contents into the pot over the shanks (3-4 will fit in a decent sized crock pot). Fill about a third to half way up the shanks with red wine (only use a wine you'd actually enjoy drinking and typically use a heartier red like a cabernet, zinfandel, syrah, merlot, etc.). Throw in a few smashed garlic cloves, some rosemary sprigs, and maybe a tablespoon or so of whole peppercorns and cook on low until the meat starts to pull away from the bone. Serve over rice or, even easier, over some couscous with some finely chopped fresh mint in it. Meat will just melt in your mouth.

Another classic thing to serve with lamb shanks is white beans or a white bean puree (take a couple of cans of white beans and put them in the food processor and process until smooth, adding chicken broth slowly until you get a texture similar to mashed potatoes. Put into a microwave safe dish and season to taste with salt and pepper and a tablespoon or two of butter and put in the microwave for a minute or so until the butter is melted and the beans are warmed all the way through). This is also an excellent replacement for mashed potatoes that will be higher in fiber and add some protein to a meal as well.
Love these!!!!

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Is this in the spice section? :banned:
Should be by the BBQ sauce.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Is this in the spice section? :banned:
BBQ sauce/Marinade section

Chuck or shoulder roast. Put crock pot on low heat. Add one package of Lipton Onion soup mix. No water.Just let it sit all day.Awesome!
That is how I started. Now I melt a Beef bullion cube in an IPA and throw it in with onions, spices, and potatoes.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Nice. This will be one of my projects for next week. :rant:
I do this all the time. What I've found is that covering the pork completely with the soda (I like to use Diet Dr. Pepper for a slightly sweeter flavor) tends to make it a bit more tender than just using one can.

Cuban Chicken

7 skinless chicken breasts

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 onion, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

2 bay leaves

2 cans tomato sauce (or one big can)

1/2 tsp cumin

3/4 C raisins

1/2 C pimento olives, sliced

1 tbsp oil

1/2 tsp vinegar

I feel the olives add enough salt for the recipe, but add a pinch more if you feel it is needed. Occasionally I will add red pepper flakes.

Just throw everything into the crock pot for about 3 hours.

Serve over rice.

Question:

One of my staples is putting a chuck roast into the pot with baby carrots, potatoes and letting it simmer on low for 8 hours in the onion soup mix. It's an incredible meal, as the roast just falls apart. But I'm getting REALLY sick of the onion soup. Is there something else I can use for a tasty stock to shake things up a bit? Thanks.

Question:One of my staples is putting a chuck roast into the pot with baby carrots, potatoes and letting it simmer on low for 8 hours in the onion soup mix. It's an incredible meal, as the roast just falls apart. But I'm getting REALLY sick of the onion soup. Is there something else I can use for a tasty stock to shake things up a bit? Thanks.
Beef broth and some red wine

Question:One of my staples is putting a chuck roast into the pot with baby carrots, potatoes and letting it simmer on low for 8 hours in the onion soup mix. It's an incredible meal, as the roast just falls apart. But I'm getting REALLY sick of the onion soup. Is there something else I can use for a tasty stock to shake things up a bit? Thanks.
Thanks. Will give it a shot.

Thanks. Will give it a shot.
Maybe cream of mushroom soup? :goodposting:

Would it be wise to put in a 6lb pork shoulder on low later this evening for consumption around 4-5ish on Sunday? Or is that too much?

TIA

Use 2 cans of any of the cream soups (mushroom, onion, celery) and do not add water. Roast will come out amazing and the gravy is even better. I like the one can cream of mushroom and one can cream of onion comb myself.

Use 2 cans of any of the cream soups (mushroom, onion, celery) and do not add water. Roast will come out amazing and the gravy is even better. I like the one can cream of mushroom and one can cream of onion comb myself.
This was great, BTW. Thanks. The cream of mushroom soup made all the difference. :confused:

Lazy Man's Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Operation LAZY PORK is underway to accompany a great sports weekend! ;)

Just saw this thread listed in the recipe thread.

My go to with doing a roast in the crock pot is using Better than Buillon. Its usually by the rest of the buillon...its a paste you dissolve in boiling water.

I usually do 2 cups of water, 2 big spoonfuls of the BTB and about 1/2-3/4 of a cup of half and half...about 10 grinds of the pepper grinder...maybe some garlic powder too.

Dump that over the roast and potatoes and carrots and let it go all day on low.

I usually use top round roast.

About a half hour or so before eating...I pull the roast out and pull it into chunks...not bit sized...but decent sized chunks/shreds. THen put it back in the juice to let it soak up a little more.

You can also thicken this and use it as a good beef stew recipe.

I'm making a batch of the Lazy Man's Pulled Pork for my draft tomorrow. Every time I've made it I've used Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce. What's the sauce of choice amongst you guys that make this pulled pork??

D-BO said:
I'm making a batch of the Lazy Man's Pulled Pork for my draft tomorrow. Every time I've made it I've used Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce. What's the sauce of choice amongst you guys that make this pulled pork??
You will never use anything else, if you like spicey go with more cayenne and black pepperRoxy's Mustard Vinegar Sauce 1 cup apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup Yellow mustard 1/4 cup onion finely minced 2 cloves garlic pureed 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

D-BO said:
You will never use anything else, if you like spicey go with more cayenne and black pepperRoxy's Mustard Vinegar Sauce 1 cup apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup Yellow mustard 1/4 cup onion finely minced 2 cloves garlic pureed 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.
:mellow:

D-BO said:
I'm partial to the Honey BBQ sauce. Love this dish... you'll be eating for days.

Trying ribs in a crock pot on Sunday.

4 pounds pork loin back ribs or pork spareribs

1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

2 medium onions, sliced

Gonna use a pre-bought BBQ sauce that we like

Many months ago I was googling for crockpot ideas and came upon this.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

This woman vows to use her crockpot for 365 days straight. Apparently her quest caught on and people all over sent in ideas and recipes. Many of which she tried, all of which she critiqued, some of which she panned. She is very honest in her assessments.

I've tried a few and they were great. If you have some time to look it's worth it.

The Crockpot serves 2 main purposes for me:

1. Make it easier for me to make good tasting food. I can grill a steak. And that is pretty much the extent of my cooking skills. The slow cooker is dummy proof. You can make awesome tasting food.

2. Saves me alot of money on food expenses. Cheap cuts of beef are made very tender, and I cook in bulk and freeze leftovers. To that end, I laugh when I see slow cooker recipes with 4000 ingredients, including uncommon spices. For those of you like me, that are looking for recipes with minimum ingredients, I found a good site, with 6 items or less ingredients:

About.com 6 items or Less Recipes

Chili receipt we use alot. Can be eaten straight out of the crock pot or mix it with white rice. From my lovely wife:2lbs ground beef (browned and drained)1 small onion (chopped) (or dried chopped onion)16 oz kidney beans (mostly drained)16 oz black beans (mostly drained)16 oz pinto beans (mostly drained)14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained (italian style works best since it has green peppers & spices already in it)6 oz tomato paste2 envelopes chili seasoning (your choice)1 cup of waterAdd all beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste to the crock pot and mix well. Mix the chili seasoning packets with the 1 cup of water and add to the crock pot and mix everything well. Add the cooked and drained ground beef to the crock pot and mix well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occassionally if desired.(Cook on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours if in a hurry.)
Just put the ingredients in the crock pot about an hour ago. Couldn't find the pinto beans, and I substituted ground turkey for ground beef. Looks really good.
For a recipe like this, do I put everything in the crockpot at one time? Even the meat after browning it?

Spiderman said:
Chili receipt we use alot. Can be eaten straight out of the crock pot or mix it with white rice. From my lovely wife:2lbs ground beef (browned and drained)1 small onion (chopped) (or dried chopped onion)16 oz kidney beans (mostly drained)16 oz black beans (mostly drained)16 oz pinto beans (mostly drained)14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained (italian style works best since it has green peppers & spices already in it)6 oz tomato paste2 envelopes chili seasoning (your choice)1 cup of waterAdd all beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste to the crock pot and mix well. Mix the chili seasoning packets with the 1 cup of water and add to the crock pot and mix everything well. Add the cooked and drained ground beef to the crock pot and mix well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occassionally if desired.(Cook on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours if in a hurry.)
Just put the ingredients in the crock pot about an hour ago. Couldn't find the pinto beans, and I substituted ground turkey for ground beef. Looks really good.
For a recipe like this, do I put everything in the crockpot at one time? Even the meat after browning it?
Yes. I add the ingredients and stir.This is my go to chili recipe, by the way. Easy to make. Comes out great.

Need to clean out my pantry, so changed this one a little. Cooking right now:2.5 pounds ground turkey1 small onion, chopped16 oz kidney beans16 oz black beans1 can of corn (replaces pinto beans)2 cans (10 oz) rotel diced tomatoes with chilisabout 1/3 of a can of crushed tomatoes2 envelopes chili seasoning (I had one mild and 1 medium, used them both)6 oz tomato paste1 cup water

Got a pre-cooked and sliced brisket from Sam's Club. I will throw it in the pot tommorrow with some beef gravy and serve with little rolls for sandwiches.

Good stuff for the big game!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm cooking this today in my Crock Pot:

Chicken Bog:

1 (3-pound) chicken, quartered (I use breasts only)

1 pound smoked link sausage

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

2 teaspoons Seasoned Salt (recommended: Lawry's)

2 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows

1 teaspoon ground red pepper

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

3 bay leaves

8 cups water (I substitute 1 14 oz. can chicken broth for 14 of the ounces)

3 cups raw white rice

Directions

Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. In Crock pot, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, butter, seasonings and bay leaves. Set slow cooker to desired cook time (I ususally choose 8 hours). About an hour before the cook time is up, remove the chicken from the pot and let cool slightly. Pick the meat from the bones, discarding the bones and skin. Add the rice to the pot and finish cooking (it's finished when the rice is cooked). Remove the bay leaves, and return the chicken to the pot.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

How do you guys make sure that pot roasts don't get dry?
Put a little water or stock in the bottom. Once the roast starts cooking it will release juices to baste it with.
Yep. I put in two packets of Lipton onion soup mix with about four fingers of water. Turn the roast over halfway through.
Doesn't taking the cover off the crock pot "waste" a lot of the benefits to cooking in the crock pot? (I'm asking, not critisizing.)

Haven't read the thread, don't have time at the moment.

When cooking beef or pork in the crock pot, first bring it to room temp. Then brown it well on both sides. Then put it in slow cooker, on low not high, for at least 6 hours. 8 is even better.

Browning it is a huge key.

The crock pot.

A dear friend for over twenty years of cooking for myself and others,

but i've never tried pork. What a great idea and I can't wait to try it.

Thank you Raider Nation for starting this thing up!

Ham hocks and black eyed peas are one of my favs, but any bean works

with a good smoked hock.

Soak dry beans overnight. Rinse them off and add them to hocks in cooker.

Add fresh water to the top and cook for at least 12 hrs.

I like to add one onion and a clove of garlic.

I've found that it's best to salt and season later as some smoked meat is saltier than others.

There is no better compliment to these beans than cornbread. It really makes the meal.

Thanks again everyone and keep em coming.

And yeah I realize ham hocks are pork, but I was refering to pork roast and shoulders.

I've always roasted or bbq'ed

The idea of using the crock is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread