What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

I am making this as I type. It smells so good

5 large chicken breasts

2 cans chicken broth

1 bottle buffalo sauce

1 LARGE onion

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

I put everything BUT the buffalo sauce in the crock pot, I put HALF the bottle of buffalo sauce in the pot. Cook on low for 14 hours. Shred the chicken with a couple forks after 14 hours, mix in the other half bottle of the sauce, and there you go.

I am making this as I type. It smells so good

5 large chicken breasts

2 cans chicken broth

1 bottle buffalo sauce

1 LARGE onion

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

I put everything BUT the buffalo sauce in the crock pot, I put HALF the bottle of buffalo sauce in the pot. Cook on low for 14 hours. Shred the chicken with a couple forks after 14 hours, mix in the other half bottle of the sauce, and there you go.
Perfect. This is really the key to any main glaze/sauce that you use. If you put all of it in at the very beginning with the rest of the broth or water, it's just gonna go to waste.

I'm cooking this today in my Crock Pot:

Chicken Bog:

1 (3-pound) chicken, quartered (I use breasts only)

1 pound smoked link sausage

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

2 teaspoons Seasoned Salt (recommended: Lawry's)

2 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows

1 teaspoon ground red pepper

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

3 bay leaves

8 cups water (I substitute 1 14 oz. can chicken broth for 14 of the ounces)

3 cups raw white rice

Directions

Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. In Crock pot, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, butter, seasonings and bay leaves. Set slow cooker to desired cook time (I ususally choose 8 hours). About an hour before the cook time is up, remove the chicken from the pot and let cool slightly. Pick the meat from the bones, discarding the bones and skin. Add the rice to the pot and finish cooking (it's finished when the rice is cooked). Remove the bay leaves, and return the chicken to the pot.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
I made this last night - very good but I had a few modifications.

How liquidy is this supposed to be? 8 cups of water seems like entirely too much. I used 4-5 cups instead of the full amount.

I also cooked up some shrimp to add to the mixuture when I put the picked chicken back into the pot after the rice cooked. I then added some peas to the mix and made it more of a jambalaya type mixture. Added hot sauce to taste and it was supreme :thumbup:
I thought so too, but went with the full amount (chicken stock and water). When you add the rice, it is not liquidy at all. Love this recipe!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some bone-in pork ribs simmering in onion soup mix for about four hours.

Then I'm gonna bury them in Jack Daniels honey BBQ sauce for another two hours. :wub:

I haven't read through the thread yet but I've been making stuff from Food.com. Some of it's easy and good.

Cream Cheese Chicken

-This is my favorite so far. Very easy but the 7 hour cook time means I can't make this during the week. Served it with rice.

Taco Soup

-Just dump the cans in with your ground beef and in 2 hours you've got a good soup. Some people thought it was too hot so many ease back on the chilies. Best thing about it, it saves well and reheats easily for quick leftover meals.

Ravioli

-Good ravioli when you're in the mood.

Lasagna

-I've made better lasagna but it's ok.

Crock Pot Candy

-Chocolate and peanuts are a good combo.

Taco soup: - Ground beef, 2 cans: pinto beans, black beans, tomatoes w/ green chilis, 1 can: corn, 1 packet: taco seasoning, Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. 4-8 hours. Serve w/cheese, sour cream; eat w/tortilla chips.
Does water (and if so, how much?) need to be added to this ?How much ground beef?What kind of corn?This does sound pretty good, but it looks more like a dip without liquid's if I'm reading this correctly.

Here's my own tex-mex chili recipe.

2 cans chili beans (not drained)

1 can red kidney beans (drained)

1 can cannellini beans (drained)

2 cans rotel (not drained)

1 can rotel sauce (small)

1 can diced green chiles (small)

1 can diced jalapenos (small) or 2-3 diced jalapenos (can sub habanero for extra hot)

1 tbsp black pepper

1 tbsp sea salt (reg salt is fine)

1 tbsp oregano

1 packet chili powder (I usually get sodium free)

1 large white onion, diced

1 large poblano pepper; diced

1 package mini sweet peppers, diced (small plastic carton; yellow, orange and red)

3 cloves garlic (pressed)

2 tbsp olive oil

- Mix above and bring to boil; prefer crock pot, but stove works too.

2 pounds skirt steak (I use pre-packaged Kroger fajita meat)

- Grill steak to medium rare

- Cut steak into ½-1 inch chunks.

- After chili boils for ~ 1 hour, turn to low, mix in steak and simmer for 2-3 hours.

- Keep warm and serve.

Other than making cooking easier, the best thing about a crock pot is that even an inferior piece of meat can taste fantastic. Grab a cheap shoulder steak or whatever. You can get a HUGE piece for about $4 or $5. Throw it in water for five hours. Remove the meat and dump out the water. Put BBQ sauce in the crock pot and throw the meat back in (shred it if you want to at this point, but it doesn't matter). Make sure you roll the meat around in the BBQ sauce nice nice. Maybe shake some onion powder or garlic powder on there, and let it cook on low for another two hours. Comes out great!Sometimes I'll throw a can of corn right into the crock pot on top of the meat for the last half hour it's cooking. :thumbup:
I just did this yesterday--big pork shoulder, but I throw a 20z bottle of coke in there--dash of liquid smoke. Cook for 5-6 hours on low. Drain, shred, add a bottle of bbq sauce and cook for another hour. Really, really tender and easy to do.

Other than making cooking easier, the best thing about a crock pot is that even an inferior piece of meat can taste fantastic. Grab a cheap shoulder steak or whatever. You can get a HUGE piece for about $4 or $5. Throw it in water for five hours. Remove the meat and dump out the water. Put BBQ sauce in the crock pot and throw the meat back in (shred it if you want to at this point, but it doesn't matter). Make sure you roll the meat around in the BBQ sauce nice nice. Maybe shake some onion powder or garlic powder on there, and let it cook on low for another two hours. Comes out great!Sometimes I'll throw a can of corn right into the crock pot on top of the meat for the last half hour it's cooking. :thumbup:
I just did this yesterday--big pork shoulder, but I throw a 20z bottle of coke in there--dash of liquid smoke. Cook for 5-6 hours on low. Drain, shred, add a bottle of bbq sauce and cook for another hour. Really, really tender and easy to do.
I cover the shoulder with garlic salt and pepper then quarter an onion to cook with it for flavor. I remove the onion completely before serving. Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce make this a masterpiece.

So Happy to have found this thread and thanks to all for the contributions! I look forward to trying some all of these!

Operation Lazy Pork is underway!

I have used this recipe for Corned Beef in the past. I have enjoyed the results:

Start with a 3-5 Pound Corned Beef and a 1/2 cup of water in the crock pot. I usually use just the flavor pack or nothing at all on the meat. Cook fat side up. Cook on Low for 3 hours. Add Baby Carrots and Small Round Potatoes, cut in half or quartered depending on size. Let cook for another 3 hours on low! DONE!

If you are not going to be home you can add the carrots and potatoes at the start, although I personally think they get a little too soft doing it that way.

I cover the shoulder with garlic salt and pepper then quarter an onion to cook with it for flavor. I remove the onion completely before serving. Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce make this a masterpiece.
Random choice for a reminder. Good stuff! I don't do the slow cooker enough and it sure is a good option.

I am making this as I type. It smells so good5 large chicken breasts2 cans chicken broth1 bottle buffalo sauce1 LARGE onion1 tablespoon chopped garlicI put everything BUT the buffalo sauce in the crock pot, I put HALF the bottle of buffalo sauce in the pot. Cook on low for 14 hours. Shred the chicken with a couple forks after 14 hours, mix in the other half bottle of the sauce, and there you go.
14 hrs? How is that chicken not terribly dry? Thats my problem with the crock pot, especially chicken or beef....they are always so dry.

Just set my Lazy Pork to saucin. Turned out great with a boneless butt and took a little longer than expected, but well worth the wait IMO. :thumbup:

I am making this as I type. It smells so good5 large chicken breasts2 cans chicken broth1 bottle buffalo sauce1 LARGE onion1 tablespoon chopped garlicI put everything BUT the buffalo sauce in the crock pot, I put HALF the bottle of buffalo sauce in the pot. Cook on low for 14 hours. Shred the chicken with a couple forks after 14 hours, mix in the other half bottle of the sauce, and there you go.
14 hrs? How is that chicken not terribly dry? Thats my problem with the crock pot, especially chicken or beef....they are always so dry.
Not sure what I was thinking, it is closer to 7-8 hours

:blackdot:

Gotta look through this thread tomorrow, never saw it before.

We're breaking out the crock pot after many years for some beef stew tomorrow. Could use some more recipes. :thumbup:

Tried this recipe expanded 3-4 times for a soup day at work last week and it was a real hit. Substituted Bocabits for the beef.

Slow Cooker Taco Soup
going to try this :thumbup:
Made this last week, I would cut the taco seasoning to maybe 3/4th of envelope. It was a little overpowering, but it still was really, really good. I also used a pound and a half of beef. Made some wonderful leftovers as well.I am going to do it again and use shreded chicken, but drain most of the cans before I put them in so it becomes more of taco filling type meal.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Giving this a shot for the first time today. It's been in for a few hours now, will report back.

Doing this tomorrow. Any suggestion to tweak it? It look great to me.

Rich Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore is low in fat and sodium, and is made so easily in your slow cooker.Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 7 hoursTotal Time: 7 hours, 15 minutesIngredients:•3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed•14 oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning•6 oz. can tomato paste•1 cup chicken broth•1 onion, sliced•4 cloves garlic, minced•1 green bell pepper, chopped•1 cup sliced mushrooms•1/2 cup dry red wine •1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning•1/8 tsp. pepper•1/2 tsp. salt•2 Tbsp. cornstarch•3 Tbsp. waterPreparation:Place all ingredients except cornstarch and water in 4-5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and tender. If you want a thicker sauce, combine cornstarch and water in small bowl and mix well. Stir into crockpot; cover and cook on low 15-20 minutes until thickened. Serve with hot cooked pasta, if desired. 6 servings

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Giving this a shot for the first time today. It's been in for a few hours now, will report back.
This was incredible. I have 8 lbs of pork to eat though. :mellow:

Would it be worthwhile to coat the shoulder in a dry rub and sear it on the stove before putting it in the crock pot? I like the crispy bits in my pulled pork but wonder if all the crispy would deteriorate after 10 hours in the crock pot.

Would it be worthwhile to coat the shoulder in a dry rub and sear it on the stove before putting it in the crock pot? I like the crispy bits in my pulled pork but wonder if all the crispy would deteriorate after 10 hours in the crock pot.
I wouldn't mess with perfection....lol

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Of course it's awesome. That's the best recipe in here in terms of the easy to make/taste ratio.Get yourself some torpedo rolls. The sammiches will last all week.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Of course it's awesome. That's the best recipe in here in terms of the easy to make/taste ratio.Get yourself some torpedo rolls. The sammiches will last all week.
So you don't tweak that at all? Thinking of making it next Sunday but would be willing to put in a little more work for a great pulled pork.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

So you don't tweak that at all? Thinking of making it next Sunday but would be willing to put in a little more work for a great pulled pork.
Love this recipe. Least effort for awesome pulled pork.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

The only tweak I make is the time. 6 hours (instead of 8) with another 90 minutes to 2 hours in the BBQ sauce.

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

The only tweak I make is the time. 6 hours (instead of 8) with another 90 minutes to 2 hours in the BBQ sauce.
f'in blink'in black dot. :cool:

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Torpedo rolls, what are these? Sell at normal grocery stores? I've been eating this stuff right from the bowl. :excited:

I've done this before. Very good and easy.Lately, I've been doing a beef version3-5 lb chuck roastbottle of Steakhouse marinadeMarinade the roast overnight in the fridge. Dump the whole thing in the crock pot the next day and slow cook that puppy.

I do this but instead of a can of coke I use a bottle of italian dressing. The vinegar in the dressing breaks down the pork in about 4 hours instead of 8.

I do this but instead of a can of coke I use a bottle of italian dressing. The vinegar in the dressing breaks down the pork in about 4 hours instead of 8.
Can you taste the dressing after it is finished?

I haven't read through the entire thread, so if it's already been mentioned, then I apologize; I like to throw a pork roast into the pot and use 100% cranberry juice mixed with a bit of 100% pineapple juice. I do about 3/4 Cranberry juice, 1/4 Pineapple. Do about 6 to 8 hours on low, then shred it, and quick-cook your favorite barbecue sauce whether it be homemade or store bought. Pretty simple, I know, but I like it.

Just took out the pork butt after 8 hours. I said to my wife that it should rip apart really easy. I tried to pick it up with a fork and it just fell apart. We both gasped.

Just added a bottle of Stubbs and letting it cook 2 more hours.

:thumbup:

can't wait.

Tried the Lazy Man's Pulled Pork tonight.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Two thumbs up from everyone in the family, including 2 hard to please kids.

Made beef stew for the first time ever this weekend. HFS is it good! 8 hours on low with following ingredients:

2 lbs. stew beef (cubed)

3 celery stalks

1 onion

2 large potatoes

3 large carrots

1 McCormick beef stew seasoning packet

1 2/3 cups water.

Put all veggies and beef in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix with water. Pour into slow cooker. Done.

Just made this for the first time recently. It was very easy and very tasty.

Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken

Number of Servings:

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 cup salsa

1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning

1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)

1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions

Add chicken to slow cooker.

Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.

Pour salsa and soup over chicken.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

Serve with rice.

Just made this for the first time recently. It was very easy and very tasty.

Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken

Number of Servings:

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 cup salsa

1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning

1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)

1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions

Add chicken to slow cooker.

Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.

Pour salsa and soup over chicken.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

Serve with rice.

Any idea on what to substitute for the sour cream? I'm not a fan

Users who are viewing this thread