What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bizarro World Fantasy League (1 Viewer)

SSOG

I'm thinking of creating a fantasy league designed to turn studs into mediocre performers, and mediocre performers into studs. It would award points for pass attempts, rushing attempts, and receptions (or better yet, if I can get the data... targets), as well as bonus points for fumbles or INTs, but penalize players for things like completions, yards, and TDs. Obviously for kickers, they'd get points for every miss, with really short misses worth bonus points, and 50+ yard figgies worth a big penalty.

Would anyone else be interested in this sort of thing, or am I just out of my mind?

you're out of your mind.

So, basically you'd be rooting for all of your guys to do bad...what's the point.

you're out of your mind.

So, basically you'd be rooting for all of your guys to do bad...what's the point.
Actually sounds kind of fun, but only if you play this sort of league during the season, otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out.

Actually sounds kind of fun, but only if you play this sort of league during the season, otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out.
I have no idea what this even means....when else would you play in this kind of a league if it wasn't during the season?

you're out of your mind.

Well, keep in mind, you'd draft guys you thought would do bad in the first place. I don't think any fantasy footballer is going to be too upset if Alex Smith has a horrible outing.The point is that it's different, and I think it sounds like fun. Sort of like Loser Leagues (where all production is counted as negative), except that I think this one would require more strategy. I mean, you might expect Rex Grossman to be an absolutely HORRIBLE QB this season, but you wouldn't want to draft him because if he's TOO bad then he gets replaced. Likewise, a bad QB with very few attempts would probably have less value than a mediocre QB with a ton of attempts.

Football Outsiders does something similar with their Loser League.
Yeah, I know, but this is different from a loser league in that it rewards consistant poor performance. The goal isn't to try and pick someone who will get the least opportunity to play possible, the goal is to try to pick someone who is going to get the MOST chances and still suck the maximum amount during them.The ideal Loser League stat-line is something like 8 carries for 16 yards. The ideal Bizarro League stat line would be 25 carries for 52 yards.

Football Outsiders does something similar with their Loser League.
Yeah, I know, but this is different from a loser league in that it rewards consistant poor performance. The goal isn't to try and pick someone who will get the least opportunity to play possible, the goal is to try to pick someone who is going to get the MOST chances and still suck the maximum amount during them.The ideal Loser League stat-line is something like 8 carries for 16 yards. The ideal Bizarro League stat line would be 25 carries for 52 yards. A Kyle Boller game like 19-33-142-0-3 sacked 4/32(wk 10) or 15-36-151-0-2 Sacked 2/13(wk 17)
fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what this even means....when else would you play in this kind of a league if it wasn't during the season?
Sorry -- I meant to say only if you only play this type of format during the season.

This has been done. It was a bigger pain than you think. I know, I commished it. Maybe on a pay site it could work better, but who wants to put money into something like this?

Actually, this would be easiest, and fairer, with a survivor style, "best" ball format on FLM. Naming starters every week would be easy. Pick who is going against the best D of the week. But drafting, then accepting the results would be a lot more challenging, especially when Alex Smith starts rocking after being the #1 (Niner fan dreaming ;) )

IN if it doesn't require an actual draft.

ETA: If you just submit a team like the FO loser league, I'd be in for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've seen similar leagues where the idea is the lowest score wins. but, you starting lineup must have starters in it...i.e. winning teams had alex smith as their QB or jamal lewis as their RB.

How do you handle injuries?
Same way they're handled in regular fantasy football.Ideally, the scoring would be balanced in such a way that it's in your own best interest to play guys who will be getting a lot of rushes/receptions/attempts. That might mean giving 5 points per reception, 1 point per rush, 1 point per passing attempt, -1 point for every 10 yards rushing/receiving, -1 point for every 25 yards passing, 6 points for every turnover, and -2 points for every TD. I don't know the exact scoring- obviously it would have to be balanced to some degree- but something like that.

I tried to run that through the Draft Dominator using last year's numbers that were provided, but the rushing attempts and receptions numbers are still from the projections and not the actual results. Despite that, my initial impression is that the ppr is too high, especially if it applies to running backs. LT is still pretty valuable. I'd like to see what the value table looks like with the actual results though.

I tried to run that through the Draft Dominator using last year's numbers that were provided, but the rushing attempts and receptions numbers are still from the projections and not the actual results. Despite that, my initial impression is that the ppr is too high, especially if it applies to running backs. LT is still pretty valuable. I'd like to see what the value table looks like with the actual results though.
I played around with the scoring system in a draft dominator until I started seeing results more in line with what I was going for. A much better scoring system would be:Qbs:

1 point per attempt

-1 point per completion

-.05 points per yard passing

6 points per INT

-2 points per TD

1 point per rushing attempt

-.15 points per rushing yard

-4 points per rushing TD

RBs:

-4 points per rushing TD

1 point per reception

-.1 points per yard receiving

-6 points per receiving TD

WRs:

5 points per reception

-.25 points per yard receiving

Defenses:

1 point for every 2 points allowed

-1 point for every sack

-2 points for every turnover

-2 points for every safety

-6 points for every Defensive TD

I haven't been able to figure out a good scoring system for kickers or TEs yet.

I played around with the scoring system in a draft dominator until I started seeing results more in line with what I was going for. A much better scoring system would be:Qbs:

1 point per attempt

-1 point per completion

-.05 points per yard passing

6 points per INT

-2 points per TD

-4 points per rushing TD

RBs:

-4 points per rushing TD

1 point per reception

-.1 points per yard receiving

WRs:

5 points per reception

-.25 points per yard receiving

Defenses:

1 point for every 2 points allowed

-1 point for every sack

-2 points for every turnover

-2 points for every safety

-6 points for every Defensive TD

I would hope you could find a way to include fumbles and sacks/sack yardage into the equation. Maybe you could also reward penalty flags on each player if you could get them included from the stat provider.

1 for FG miss 50+ yards2 for 40-49 yds.3 for 30-395 for 20-2910 for inside 20 (jackpot!)7 for missed XP-10 for successful onside kick.

I would hope you could find a way to include fumbles and sacks/sack yardage into the equation. Maybe you could also reward penalty flags on each player if you could get them included from the stat provider.
Yeah, all fumbles were counted as 6 points. No way to put Sacks into the Draft Dominator scoring to see how it impacted results, but if we were in a league that gave such capabilities, I would definitely include them. I doubt I'd be able to get a penalty flag stat, though (much like I doubt I'd be able to get a Targets stat, which is what I'd really like to get my hands on for WR scoring). The big problem now is that I'd like to boost the scoring values, because I feel they're pretty low. According to the numbers spit out by the DD, elite players are averaging just over 100 points in this system. I might just triple all scoring values to get numbers more in line with a standard fantasy league.
1 for FG miss 50+ yards2 for 40-49 yds.

3 for 30-39

5 for 20-29

10 for inside 20 (jackpot!)

7 for missed XP

-10 for successful onside kick.
I don't know about the onside kick, but that's probably how I'm going to have to do it. Every time I try to penalize for made field goals, when I check the results it bumps all of the backups to the front of the line, which isn't what I want at all. Maybe if I only penalize for made FGs of 50+ yards or something. I dunno.

Yeah, all fumbles were counted as 6 points. No way to put Sacks into the Draft Dominator scoring to see how it impacted results, but if we were in a league that gave such capabilities, I would definitely include them. I doubt I'd be able to get a penalty flag stat, though (much like I doubt I'd be able to get a Targets stat, which is what I'd really like to get my hands on for WR scoring). The big problem now is that I'd like to boost the scoring values, because I feel they're pretty low. According to the numbers spit out by the DD, elite players are averaging just over 100 points in this system. I might just triple all scoring values to get numbers more in line with a standard fantasy league.
1 for FG miss 50+ yards2 for 40-49 yds.

3 for 30-39

5 for 20-29

10 for inside 20 (jackpot!)

7 for missed XP

-10 for successful onside kick.
I don't know about the onside kick, but that's probably how I'm going to have to do it. Every time I try to penalize for made field goals, when I check the results it bumps all of the backups to the front of the line, which isn't what I want at all. Maybe if I only penalize for made FGs of 50+ yards or something. I dunno.
Maybe if you penalized for made XPs but not Made FGs, that way you'd want one on a team that sucked and couldn't score TDs.

Maybe if you penalized for made XPs but not Made FGs, that way you'd want one on a team that sucked and couldn't score TDs.
I don't like that idea. XPs are gimmes. Penalizing a player for making gimmies, while not penalizing at all for making substantially harder kicks, simply doesn't lend itself to a scoring system that emphasizes mediocrity. The ideal kicker would be one that misses a bunch of kicks, not one that plays in a lousy offense.
What a really stupid, stupid idea...
What a really stupid, stupid post...

a starting "head coach" would be a must in this loser format. margin of the head coaches team victory/loss worth +/- 2 points

wayne fontes and rich kotite would have been $ :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread