What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How's your housing market? (1 Viewer)

Appraised value for my house came in. 2 1/2 years ago, purchase price $314k. Today corporate buyout appraisel $251k.
ouch :mellow: I'll never be able to afford a house in L.A unless the market comes back down some more, I get promotion/raise, and get married for a 2nd income. :goodposting:

Appraised value for my house came in. 2 1/2 years ago, purchase price $314k. Today corporate buyout appraisel $251k.
Where again are you moving? If it's any consolation, if you are going to a more expense market, the chances are pretty good that your new market will have experienced/be experiencing greater losses.

Here is a link to another post I made in the mortgage thread about the potential increase in the conforming loan limit to up to $700,000.

Taxpayers should not be subsidizing people's excesses. This only prolongs the market from correcting itself and encourages more risky behavior.

I'm stunned there is not ONE voice in either party in Washington (excluding Ron Paul) willing to speak up over this.
:confused: How are taxpayers subsidizing anything? Rates on jumbo loans already went way up due to the risk. Something tells me that this change will just end up increasing conforming rates if lenders have to give the same rates to 200k as they would now to 550k. It is a stupid change because it will make current conforming loans more expensive in order to make previously jumbo loans less expensive. It isn't like you can't get a jumbo loan right now, so I don't see any subsidies here. For example, this is what I think will happen:

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

New Rates (in places where the increase is OK)

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

It will be a good deal for the folks in that 417k-700k range where they fall into conforming, but bad for the normal folks out there who now have to pay more because there is more risk in conforming loans.

Where again are you moving? If it's any consolation, if you are going to a more expense market, the chances are pretty good that your new market will have experienced/be experiencing greater losses.
Moving to Northern Virgina (basically D.C.). Market is much more expensive and I have been seeing some fallout there, but it isn't nearly as bad as Southeast Michigan. The corporate incentive package we are getting is the only thing making this move possible.

Actually, unfortunately for him the Midwest (especially Detroit) has been hit just as hard because of economic reasons as areas like DC/Northern VA (where he is going) which got hit because of the huge runups. I didn't realize, but in those articles about where prices were falling, you would always see Midwestern cities right along with SD, Florida, etc.

Here is a link to another post I made in the mortgage thread about the potential increase in the conforming loan limit to up to $700,000.

Taxpayers should not be subsidizing people's excesses. This only prolongs the market from correcting itself and encourages more risky behavior.

I'm stunned there is not ONE voice in either party in Washington (excluding Ron Paul) willing to speak up over this.
:confused: How are taxpayers subsidizing anything? Rates on jumbo loans already went way up due to the risk. Something tells me that this change will just end up increasing conforming rates if lenders have to give the same rates to 200k as they would now to 550k. It is a stupid change because it will make current conforming loans more expensive in order to make previously jumbo loans less expensive. It isn't like you can't get a jumbo loan right now, so I don't see any subsidies here. For example, this is what I think will happen:

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

It will be a good deal for the folks in that 417k-700k range where they fall into conforming, but bad for the normal folks out there who now have to pay more because there is more risk in conforming loans.
The subsidy arises from the government insuring more expensive loans ($417,000 - $700,000).

Moving to Northern Virgina (basically D.C.). Market is much more expensive and I have been seeing some fallout there, but it isn't nearly as bad as Southeast Michigan. The corporate incentive package we are getting is the only thing making this move possible.
Are they compensating you for the difference or is it just a set of bonuses, etc. that will make it more palatable?Either way, I think in the long run you would be better off in NoVA economically than SE MI.

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

I think this just brings jumbo rates down. The reason conforming rates are so low is that Fannie and Fredie will buy them. Everyone else has currently left the business of buying mortgages so if it weren't for Fannie and Freddie rates on conforming mortgages would probably be a lot closer to jumbo levels.Whether this is good policy is an entirely different discussion as having quasi govt entities such as Fannie and Fredie is probably a bad idea in the first place.

I would wait to buy for a little bit once you move. Prices aren't going up in NoVa anytime soon (and will likely continue to fall) and you can get a feel for which town you want to settle in.

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

The subsidy arises from the government insuring more expensive loans ($417,000 - $700,000).
Maybe I am missing something, but people can now get loans for say $600k, who handles that versus a $400k loan?

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

Maybe I am missing something, but people can now get loans for say $600k, who handles that versus a $400k loan?
The difference is that for conforming mortgages (under 417k) the quasi govt entities can buy them in the secondary market. Above 417k they are forbidden to buy them by law unless we get this change.To be honest, this change does not cost the govt a cent as the govt does not give money to Fannie. Fannie just gets the benefit of a perceived govt backstop since they are federally chartered, which allows them to have incredibly high ratings for there debt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

I think this just brings jumbo rates down. The reason conforming rates are so low is that Fannie and Fredie will buy them. Everyone else has currently left the business of buying mortgages so if it weren't for Fannie and Freddie rates on conforming mortgages would probably be a lot closer to jumbo levels.Whether this is good policy is an entirely different discussion as having quasi govt entities such as Fannie and Fredie is probably a bad idea in the first place.
Got it. There obviously are people still buying loans (or giving them out themselves, i.e. Wachovia) at both levels, but I understand that having Fannie and Freddie to compete on buying them would create a bigger buyer market and thus help lower rates.

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

Redwes' post from above gives the most complete explanation.

:tfp: How are taxpayers subsidizing anything? Rates on jumbo loans already went way up due to the risk. Something tells me that this change will just end up increasing conforming rates if lenders have to give the same rates to 200k as they would now to 550k. It is a stupid change because it will make current conforming loans more expensive in order to make previously jumbo loans less expensive. It isn't like you can't get a jumbo loan right now, so I don't see any subsidies here. For example, this is what I think will happen:

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

Got it. There obviously are people still buying loans (or giving them out themselves, i.e. Wachovia) at both levels, but I understand that having Fannie and Freddie to compete on buying them would create a bigger buyer market and thus help lower rates.
yup, that is why conforming mortgages have always been cheaper. However, with the credit crunch the spread between the conforming and jumbo has increased since that market has pratically disappeared.

Are they compensating you for the difference or is it just a set of bonuses, etc. that will make it more palatable?Either way, I think in the long run you would be better off in NoVA economically than SE MI.
Package is based on your salary band at the company. For Mrs. Foos that equals:$100k incentive check. 30% of which was supposed to cover losses on the sale of your house. They soon realized that 30% wouldn't begin to cover losses for most people. So they bumped it up to cover the difference.They pay for all realtor fees, closing costs, moving expenses (including packing).$150k interest free loan to put towards a house in Virginia.A four day trip to Virginia to "look and see" to help us decide to move.A 5 day house hunting trip.Spousal resume and job finding services.Special deals with several mortgage companies (Wacohvia, Wells Fargo, etc.) for discounted rates.

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

The difference is that for conforming mortgages (under 417k) the quasi govt entities can buy them in the secondary market. Above 417k they are forbidden to buy them by law unless we get this change.To be honest, this change does not cost the govt a cent as the govt does not give money to Fannie. Fannie just gets the benefit of a perceived govt backstop since they are federally chartered, which allows them to have incredibly high ratings for there debt.
Thanks. I used to live in NoVA, so I know a lot about those 2 and tons of people that worked there, hence my wondering what the "subsidies" were. Especially, all the complaints from other banks about advantages they had by being linked into the government.It seems like this is a case like the Postal Service, where taxpayers aren't paying anything extra although if the Postal Service/Fannie/Freddie ever got into dire straits, then we would be holding the hook for it. That said, I know Fannie/Freddie were very profitable for a very long time, so I don't know how their reserves/cash looks.

I don't think Fannie/Freddie were involved much, if at all in subprime/oddball loans as you haven't heard anything about them in the news. If they were really in the prime only, the could be lobbying congress to open up their capabilities as they could make a killing now that other banks are really hurting because they took on too much of the riskier stuff.

Package is based on your salary band at the company. For Mrs. Foos that equals:$100k incentive check. 30% of which was supposed to cover losses on the sale of your house. They soon realized that 30% wouldn't begin to cover losses for most people. So they bumped it up to cover the difference.They pay for all realtor fees, closing costs, moving expenses (including packing).$150k interest free loan to put towards a house in Virginia.A four day trip to Virginia to "look and see" to help us decide to move.A 5 day house hunting trip.Spousal resume and job finding services.Special deals with several mortgage companies (Wacohvia, Wells Fargo, etc.) for discounted rates.
Not a bad deal at all, especially for anyone looking to move out of that area. My buddy/neighbor in VA worked for the FBI and he moved down here to SC a couple months before we left and the FBI took care of all of that as well. I pretty much paid for everything, but that was still a lot less than what I would have lost in house value had I stayed.

:lmao: How are taxpayers subsidizing anything? Rates on jumbo loans already went way up due to the risk. Something tells me that this change will just end up increasing conforming rates if lenders have to give the same rates to 200k as they would now to 550k. It is a stupid change because it will make current conforming loans more expensive in order to make previously jumbo loans less expensive. It isn't like you can't get a jumbo loan right now, so I don't see any subsidies here. For example, this is what I think will happen:

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

But the problem is when and to what extent the federal government has to step in to ensure payment on these bonds. Ya, it shouldn't cost the government anything if the collateral (homes) securing these loans weren't losing value, but that's not the likely scenario for the next few years.

:lmao: How are taxpayers subsidizing anything? Rates on jumbo loans already went way up due to the risk. Something tells me that this change will just end up increasing conforming rates if lenders have to give the same rates to 200k as they would now to 550k. It is a stupid change because it will make current conforming loans more expensive in order to make previously jumbo loans less expensive. It isn't like you can't get a jumbo loan right now, so I don't see any subsidies here. For example, this is what I think will happen:

Current Rates

0-417k - 5.5%

417k-700k - 6.5%

700k+ - 6.5%

0-700k - 6.0%

700k+ - 6.5%

But the problem is when and to what extent the federal government has to step in to ensure payment on these bonds. Ya, it shouldn't cost the government anything if the collateral (homes) securing these loans weren't losing value, but that's not the likely scenario for the next few years.
Very true and I think they create a major risk for our economy. The WSJ has been pointing this out for about a decade now. However, just the value of the collateral going down won't hurt Fannie and Freddie. They will need to go under for the Federal govt to step in and a bail out would be in the trillions.

Nevada Had Top Foreclosure Rate in 2007

By ALEX VEIGA, AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES - The number of U.S. homes that slipped into some stage of foreclosure in 2007 was 79 percent higher than in the previous year, a real estate tracking company said Tuesday. Many homeowners started to fall behind on mortgage payments in the last three months, setting the stage for more foreclosures this year.

About 1.3 million homes received foreclosure-related warnings last year, up from 717,522 in 2006, Irvine-based RealtyTrac Inc. said. Foreclosure filings rose 75 percent from the previous year to 2.2 million.

More than 1 percent of all U.S. households were in some phase of the foreclosure process last year, up from about half a percent in 2006, RealtyTrac said.

Nevada, Florida, Michigan and California posted the highest foreclosure rates, the company said.

The filings included notices warning owners that they were in default, or that their home was slated for auction or for repossession by a bank. Some properties may have received more than one notice if the owners had multiple mortgages.

A late-year surge in the number of properties reporting foreclosure filings suggests that many are in the initial stages of the foreclosure process and could end up lost to foreclosure this year unless lenders or the government steps in, RealtyTrac said.

"It does appear that we're seeing a new batch of properties enter the process," said Rick Sharga, RealtyTrac's vice president of marketing.

RealtyTrac is forecasting that the pace of foreclosure filings will remain steady, rather than accelerate during the first half of 2008.

"Assuming nothing else bad happens economically ... we will have exhausted the bulk of the worst-performing loans by the end of June," Sharga said, referring to adjustable-rate mortgage loans made to borrowers with poor credit.

Many of these subprime loans defaulted last year, triggering a credit crisis and saddling major financial institutions with losses.

More than 1.8 million subprime mortgages are scheduled to reset to higher interest rates this year and next.

Last year's explosion in foreclosure activity came amid a worsening housing downturn, as falling home values ate into homeowners' equity, making it harder for many to refinance into more affordable loans or to find buyers. Those options had helped keep troubled homeowners from sliding into foreclosure.

"We went from a sort of buying frenzy to a foreclosure frenzy in the last two years," Sharga said.

Recent efforts by government and mortgage lenders to help homeowners at risk of falling seriously behind on mortgage payments have had a marginal impact on the U.S. foreclosure rate so far, Sharga added.

In December alone, foreclosure filings soared 97 percent from the same month a year earlier to 215,749. It was the fifth consecutive month in which foreclosure filings topped more than 200,000, RealtyTrac said.

In the fourth quarter, filings rose 86 percent from the prior-year quarter but only 1 percent from the third quarter.

Nevada had the highest foreclosure rate in the nation last year, with 3.4 percent of its households receiving foreclosure filings. That was more than three times the national average, RealtyTrac said.

The state had 66,316 filings on 34,417 properties in 2007, up more than 200 percent from 2006's total.

Florida had more than 2 percent of its properties in some stage of foreclosure last year. The state reported 279,325 filings on 165,291 homes, more than twice the previous year's total.

In Michigan, where job losses are pressuring many homeowners, 1.9 percent of all households received a foreclosure filing last year. In all, 136,205 filings were issued on 87,210 properties, up 68 percent versus filings in 2006.

California led the nation in total foreclosure filings and the number of homes in some stage of foreclosure last year.

A total of 481,392 filings were issued on 249,513 properties, more than triple the number of filings in 2006, RealtyTrac said.

In all, 1.9 percent of households in California received foreclosure filings.

Many of the homes receiving foreclosure filings in the state were in the inland markets, where new construction and more affordable prices helped fuel a spike in sales toward the end of the housing boom.

Other states in the 2007 foreclusure top 10 were Colorado, Ohio, Georgia, Arizona, Illinois and Indiana.

nice heads up for our FFA peeps who are moving or have recently moved to Vegas. They should definitely rent and let the foreclosures knock prices down for awhile.

nice heads up for our FFA peeps who are moving or have recently moved to Vegas. They should definitely rent and let the foreclosures knock prices down for awhile.
Interesting list of states there. You have the obviously way too fast price growth in CA, FL, NV and AZ, along with the midwestern states where I think the economy/movement of jobs is the story in IL, IN, OH and MI.What I don't know about is GA and CO. I wonder if at the bottom of the top 10 you start getting into rates that aren't all that much different than the national rates.Foreclosures aren't surprising at all when housing prices go down because to a ton of investors and homeowners, ruining their credit probably isn't that big of a deal. Once your house goes into foreclosure, you really don't have anyone calling you about paying the mortgage. I don't think they can go after you for anything else.I wish I could remember my bold prediction for the housing boom after foreclosures from earlier in the thread (yes, I am lazy enough to not look :hot: ). I think I will restate it based upon the rise in foreclosures and call the housing boom of 2014-2020. Mark it down. :D

link

Engle Homes parent files for bankruptcy

Russ Wiles and Catherine Reagor

The Arizona Republic

Jan. 30, 2008 11:12 AM

The parent of Engle Homes has filed for bankruptcy protection - the largest homebuilder to fail amid the housing downtown.

Hollywood, Fla.-based TOUSA Inc. said it received support from a majority of senior creditors to restructure its equity and debt.

It pledged to "honor all commitments to our current and prospective homeowners" and announced that it will provide 10-year supplemental warranties at no cost to prospective homebuyers and those signing sales contracts through April 30.

Engle sold 1,320 new homes around the Valley last year, according to housing analyst RL Brown.

The company has roughly three-dozen existing or planned developments in Arizona, including in such developments as Anthem, Vistancia and Verrado.Ranked as the No. 3 Arizona homebuilder as recently as 2005, it slumped to eighth last year.

TOUSA, also known as Technical Olympic USA, warned in November that it might seek bankruptcy protection.

The company listed assets of $2.3 billion and debts of $1.8 billion and said the Chapter 11 reorganization was needed to repair its balance sheet.

"Like the vast majority of companies that go through Chapter 11, we fully expect to emerge as a stronger, more viable organization," TOUSA said in a statement.

In its most recent quarter ended Sept. 30, TOUSA reported a net loss of $620 million amid a 16 percent drop in revenue and 33 percent sales decline.

The latest quarter included $505 million in inventory-impairment and abandonment costs. The company lost $80 million in the same quarter of 2006.

TOUSA stock, which sold around $30 in 2005, traded yesterday at 12 cents a share, down 1 cent.

Echoing Roarin' Sonoran's article...

Link

The next housing casualty?

Orange County homebuilders and developers are struggling with high debt and dropping credit.

By JOHN GITTELSOHN

THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Comments 1 | Recommend 11

If 2007 was the year of extinction for Orange County-based subprime lenders, 2008 could be the year of decimation for the area's homebuilders and developers.

Topping the endangered species list are two Orange County mammoths: Standard Pacific Homes in Irvine and William Lyon Homes in Newport Beach.

Both of the homebuilders have seen their credit ratings downgraded and both have sold properties – often at a loss – to raise cash as they struggle to stay afloat.

Standard Pacific's stock closed Tuesday at $3.38, up from a low of $2.13 on Jan. 15. However, it's down 93 percent from a high of $49.25 in July 2005. William Lyon went private in 2006.

The companies are caught in the downward spiral of home sales prices and volume, with new home sales falling 26 percent in 2007, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce, the biggest annual drop on record. On Tuesday, Florida-based homebuilder Tousa Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, citing the "realities of today's homebuilding market."

In its most recent quarter, William Lyon's new home orders fell 33 percent and its revenue slumped 40 percent, swinging to a loss of $60 million. Standard Pacific's new home sales fell 25 percent for the most recent quarter as the company reported a loss of $120 million – its fourth consecutive quarterly loss. Standard Pacific releases its year-end earnings Tuesday.

Over the past four decades, Standard Pacific and William Lyon Homes survived several market downturns, riding out the tough times by slashing their inventories and staff.

Now it looks like they've made the same old mistake: buying too much land at too high a price. And their ability to weather this storm depends on how long the bad times last.

"The companies that survive will be those that don't have huge ownership of lots of land and that aren't highly leveraged," said Kerry Vandell, professor of finance and real estate at the UC Irvine's Merage School of Business.

Spokesmen for William Lyon and Standard Pacific declined to comment on their finances for this article.

Both are pursuing the strategies that saved them in the past: Shedding employees and land.

Since November, Standard Pacific has sold undeveloped properties in Palo Alto, Tucson and San Antonio for undisclosed prices.

In November, William Lyon laid off 134 employees, 25 percent of its staff. And this month, the company announced the sale of 604 home sites in 10 Southern California communities for $90.6 million to Resmark Equity Partners, a private equity firm in Los Angeles. William Lyon said the properties had a book value of $210.7 million, which meant they sold for 43 cents on the dollar.

Robert Goodman, president of Resmark, said his firm is taking advantage of the troubled market to "reload with better quality assets at very attractive prices." He added that his company is taking a risk by buying now, because the market has not hit bottom.

Homebuilders that survive will be those with little debt, overhead or idle property, he said.

"Cash is king and liquidity is very important," said Goodman, who manages property investment for the California Public Employees' Retirement System, among other investors.

William Lyon owned $1.62 billion in real estate inventory and had just $34.5 million in cash, according to its most recent financial report. Standard Pacific reported an inventory of $2.95 billion and only $5 million in cash.

In December, Moody's Investor Services downgraded William Lyon's credit to Caa1, a notch above "in, or very near, default." Moody's downgraded Standard Pacific's bond rating to B1 on Jan. 17 and put the company on "negative" watch, which means future downgrades are likely.

"This downturn is more protracted than anyone forecasted, and so their financial position is worsening," said Joseph Snider, Moody's senior credit analyst for the housing industry. "Since October, we've had 20 ratings actions – all negative."

Other homebuilders with a big Orange County presence are also struggling.

* Miami-based Lennar Corp. reported a $1.3 billion net loss for the fourth quarter of 2007. A leading developer in Orange County, Lennar has postponed construction of its Platinum Triangle project in Anaheim and halted sales at its Central Park West project in Irvine. The company bolstered its cash position, in part, by selling 11,000 home sites around the country for $525 million in a deal with Morgan Stanley & Co.The properties, valued at $1.3 billion, went for 40 cents on the dollar, although Lennar said it gained $852 million in tax refunds through the deal.

* K. Hovnanian Homes, a New Jersey-based company with projects in San Juan Capistrano, Irvine and Ladera Ranch, reported a net loss of $627 million for the year ending Oct. 31.

* KB Homes, which has projects in Anaheim, Irvine, Placentia and Tustin, announced a net loss of $929.4 million in 2007.

Industry observers say local companies in a strong position include Rancho Mission Viejo LLC and the Irvine Co., the enormous developers that own their land outright.

The threats to homebuilders and developers have been building for almost two years. Standard Pacific began shedding assets in 2006 in preparation for a downturn.

William Lyon, the company's founder and a retired Air Force Reserve general, took his company private in 2006, paying almost $190 million at a time real estate prices and other homebuilding company stocks were at their peak.

"The family wanted to go private for personal reasons, not because the stock was cheap or expensive," said Arthur Laffer, the economist who served on Lyon's board of directors until December.

When his company ran into trouble in the early 19'90s, Lyon pledged his personal assets – including his antique car collection – as collateral to keep bank funding flowing. In Lyon's favor this time, he has years to refinance his debt: The first $150 million in senior notes are due for repayment in 2012 with other notes due in 2013 and 2014.

Standard Pacific doesn't have the luxury of time. It has a $150 million note due in October and $1.2 billion due between 2009 and 2015. That money could be tough to refinance, given banks' growing risk aversion, said Tim Backshall, chief strategist of Credit Derivatives Research in New York.

Trading in Standard Pacific's credit default swaps, a derivatives market tied to its bond ratings, soared to the point that insuring new debt would become prohibitively expensive, Backshall noted. Although it has fallen off its mid-January peak, the swaps market shows upfront costs for Standard Pacific to insure $100 million in debt would exceed $30.5 million, plus $5 million a year in premiums. The price implies a 77 percent possibility of default in the next five years.

"Getting out of this situation is going to be extremely hard if not impossible," Backshall said. "It's very likely – given the lack of cash flow, the large interest and expenses – that these guys won't survive."

And this month, the company announced the sale of 604 home sites in 10 Southern California communities for $90.6 million to Resmark Equity Partners, a private equity firm in Los Angeles. William Lyon said the properties had a book value of $210.7 million, which meant they sold for 43 cents on the dollar.
Equity firm >>>>> Homebuilder.

Six of the largest home lenders agree to delay foreclosures for 30-days. Delaying the inevitable for 30 days...

Link

AP

Feds Announce Plan to Delay Foreclosures

Tuesday February 12, 1:31 pm ET

Feds Announce Initiative That Would Put Some Foreclosures on Hold for 30 Days

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Homeowners threatened with foreclosure would in some instances get a 30-day reprieve under an initiative the Bush administration announced Tuesday.

Dubbed "Project Lifeline," the program will be available to people who have taken out all types of mortgages, not just the high-cost subprime loans that have been the focus of previous relief efforts.

The program was put together by six of the nation's largest financial institutions, which service almost 50 percent of the nation's mortgages.

These lenders say they will contact homeowners who are 90 or more days overdue on their monthly mortgage payments. The homeowners will be given the opportunity to put the foreclosure process on pause for 30 days while the lenders try to work out a way to make the mortgage more affordable to homeowners.

"Project Lifeline is a valuable response, literally a lifeline, for people on the brink of the final steps in foreclosure," Housing and Urban Development Secretary Alphonso Jackson said at a joint news conference with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.

He said the goal was to provide a temporary pause in the foreclosure process "long enough to find a way out" by letting homeowners and lenders negotiate a more affordable mortgage.

Paulson said the new effort was just one of a number of approaches the administration was pursuing with the mortgage industry to deal with the country's worst housing slump in more than two decades.

In December, President Bush announced a deal brokered with the mortgage industry that will freeze certain subprime loans -- those offered to borrowers with weak credit histories -- for five years if the borrowers cannot afford the higher monthly payments as those mortgages reset after being at lower introductory rates.

"As our economy works through this difficult period, we will look for additional opportunities to try to avoid preventable foreclosures," Paulson said. "However, none of these efforts are a silver bullet that will undo the excesses of the past years, nor are they designed to bail out real estate speculators or those who committed fraud during the mortgage process."

In coming days, lenders will begin sending letters to homeowners who might qualify for the new program. Homeowners won't qualify if they have entered bankruptcy, if they already have a foreclosure date within 30 days, or if the home loan was taken out to cover an investment property or a vacation home.

The Mortgage Bankers Association reported that at least 1.3 million home mortgage loans were either seriously delinquent or in foreclosure at the end of the July-September quarter.

Private economists are forecasting that the number of foreclosures could soar to 1 million this year and next, about double the 2007 rate.

Officials did not have an estimate of how many people might be helped by the new "Project Lifeline" program.

Democratic critics said the administration was still not doing enough to help with a serious crisis that has slowed the overall economy to a near standstill and raised worries about a full-blown recession.

In a statement, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, said that last year she had called for a 90-day moratorium on subprime foreclosures. She said the administration has been slow to react to the unfolding crisis.

"The administration's latest initiative is welcome news, but more remains to be done," she said in a statement.

Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., said the finance industry and the administration were falling further and further behind in dealing with the growing crisis.

"This plan, while a step in the right direction, will not stem the tide of the millions of foreclosures we are facing in the coming months," Dodd said in a statement. His committee will hold a hearing on the housing crisis on Thursday with testimony from Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke.

The six participating banks are Bank of America Corp., Citigroup Inc. Countrywide Financial Corp., J.P. Morgan Chase and Co., Washington Mutual Inc. and Wells Fargo & Co.

They are all members of the Hope Now Alliance, an industry group that is trying to coordinate a response to the mortgage crisis. Officials urged homeowners to call the group's toll free hot line number at 1-888-995-HOPE for assistance.

AP Business Writer Marcy Gordon contributed to this report.

Six of the largest home lenders agree to delay foreclosures for 30-days. Delaying the inevitable for 30 days...
Another triumph for personal and corporate fiscal responsibility.
I don't disagree, but I'm glad to see it's only a 30-day freeze - which should be small enough time-frame to be meaningless. More than anything, I think it's a way for the Bush administration and the major lenders to make it look like they are trying to be sympathetic to defaulting borrowers while still knowing that the market will ultimately have to run its course. Style over substance.

January foreclosure numbers for San Diego have just leaked out - it ain't pretty. For the number to resonate, know the following:

My data source has foreclosure info for San Diego County all the way back to 1991 (16 years of data). The record for total foreclosures in a month before the recent explosion occurred in July of 1996 (during the last CA housing bust). There were 589 foreclosures that month, a record that held up until 2007. In 2007, the 589 foreclosure record was broken several times:

April 604

May 614

June 738

July 686

Aug 902

Sept 767

Oct 911

Nov 535

Dec 1,285 :thumbup:

January 2008 total foreclosures in SD County: 1,461

According to a couple local experts, Feb is already ahead of January's pace. This is going to be a freaking disaster.

January foreclosure numbers for San Diego have just leaked out - it ain't pretty. For the number to resonate, know the following:

My data source has foreclosure info for San Diego County all the way back to 1991 (16 years of data). The record for total foreclosures in a month before the recent explosion occurred in July of 1996 (during the last CA housing bust). There were 589 foreclosures that month, a record that held up until 2007. In 2007, the 589 foreclosure record was broken several times:

April 604

May 614

June 738

July 686

Aug 902

Sept 767

Oct 911

Nov 535

Dec 1,285 :boxing:

January 2008 total foreclosures in SD County: 1,461

According to a couple local experts, Feb is already ahead of January's pace. This is going to be a freaking disaster.
Do you have any data showing how the foreclosures break down across the different market segments?In Orange County, approximately 50% of "distressed" sales (foreclosures and short sales) are occurring below the median County price of $590,000. This is not surprising given the subprime difficulties, but I'm curious to see when and how much this will effect the pricier neighborhoods.

Link

January foreclosure numbers for San Diego have just leaked out - it ain't pretty. For the number to resonate, know the following:My data source has foreclosure info for San Diego County all the way back to 1991 (16 years of data). The record for total foreclosures in a month before the recent explosion occurred in July of 1996 (during the last CA housing bust). There were 589 foreclosures that month, a record that held up until 2007. In 2007, the 589 foreclosure record was broken several times: April 604May 614June 738July 686Aug 902Sept 767Oct 911Nov 535Dec 1,285 :shock: January 2008 total foreclosures in SD County: 1,461According to a couple local experts, Feb is already ahead of January's pace. This is going to be a freaking disaster.
Article in the AZ Republic on Sunday about how the time is ripe for people in AZ to buy a condo in San Diego. I don't know that market enough to know how far off the article is, but good press removing fear of the buyers is half the battle.With that said, being a realtor on the side for friends and family, I am swamped right now here in Phoenix. Land prices have bottomed at about $15,000 for a finished lot (to put it into perspective the cost to finish a lot is about $25,000 on average so buyers are getting the land for free and some of the finishing costs paid for when they buy land). Home prices are still declining. I've talked to a home builder who is coming back into the market after being out of it for a few years and he is coming to market at $85k a home in some of the outlying areas of Phoenix (Maricopa, Coolidge).2008 will be worse than 2007 in Phoenix though. I would imagine that almost all of the private homebuilders will be either going BK or getting acquired or short selling their assets to banks. We're working with new home builders to step into this void, although it doesn't help that virtually my entire portfolio will be wiped out this year (my "main" job is mezzanine financing and equity partnerships with homebuilders).There are some smoking deals on the MLS right now through short sales from lenders. If you can find a home you love at a great price compared to the market and can afford the payments, there is no reason to wait. It is amazing to see even within a city how certain areas have actually appreciated during this downturn compared to other areas that have completely free falled. When people are greedy, be afraid. When people are afraid, be greedy.

Zillow has my condo losing 10% in the last 30 days.
That Zillow site blows and I think unfairly hurts some sellers because buyers do look at it. We've lived in our 1950's ranch house for 10 years and in that time have finished our basement, put a jacuzzi tub in, new roof, cedar fenced yard, new mechanicals (furnace, HW heater), remodled our bathrooms and put in a new kitchen with granite counters, 42" cabs and SS appliances. We've probably put in $80K over that time. The exact same model house as mine four houses down has a higher "Zestimate" and has gone down less than mine in the last month eventhough it hasn't been upgraded in 20 years, smells like cats, has a leaky unfinished basement and has appliaces and decor from the 50's. Not sure how that even works, but it sucks for me.

Do you have any data showing how the foreclosures break down across the different market segments?
This piece yields some interesting info for the RE :popcorn: 's like me, you and bagger. The author, Ramsey Su, is a San Diego RE market analyst who has been in the SD RE game for over 30 years.
REDC AUCTIONS

by Ramsey Su

REDC has conducted four REO auctions in San Diego during the last 8 months, the most recent being January 26 of this year.

I have extensive data on 3 of the 4 auctions. Here are some of the findings:

Peak/Trough Analysis – currently down 37%

Properties that went to auction likely represented the group that was purchased or refinanced at the peak and sold at the low of what the current market offers. The peak is at a fixed point in the past, the trough is dynamic and continues to change with market conditions.

73% - average auction/PVA* for the May 2007 auction

67% - average auction/PVA for the August 2007 auction

63% - average auction/PVA for the Jan 2008 auction

* PVA (previously valued at) is the number that the auctioneer publishes. Comparing that to the last sales price if a sale was involved or the total encumbrance if a refinance was more recent than the last sale, I only found fractional difference. It is consistent enough to use as a peak price.

Time Line Analysis – Current foreclosures have little to do with reset. BORROWERS SIMPLY WALKED.

These REOs are foreclosures of loans from 2004, 2005 and early 2006 vintages. Loans or purchases made in 2003 or earlier appear to be home free, unless they refinanced in 2004 or later. Using the January auction:

23% were 2004 loans

51% were 2005 loans

26% were 2006 loans

The average elapsed time between auction date and trustee’s sales date (the day the loans officially become an REO) is 8 months.

If we do a calculation in reverse chronological order:

Jan 08 auction = May 07 trustee’s sales

May 07 trustee’s sales = borrowers stopped paying May 06.

If borrowers stopped paying May 06 due to a reset, the fastest being the 2-28s, then it implies the loans should be of May 04 vintage. Since the majority of these loans were originated during 2005, or later, it suggested that borrowers are walking long before any reset.

In other words, for a loan originated during 2006 to be foreclosed in 2007, it would have to be an early payment default, defined here as defaulting less than 6 months from origination. These borrowers did not default due to reset--THEY JUST WALKED.

Loss Severity – Currently Estimated at Over 60% in the Aggregate

Loss severity is different for the senior and junior lien holder. Using the January auction:

76% had junior liens

100% of foreclosures were by senior lien holders

Not only are the junior lien holders wiped out in its entirety, they may have to charge-off interest payments that were accrued but never received.

As for the senior lien holder, in addition to the depreciation of the asset, there is a hard cost related to holding and liquidating this non-performing asset. I am estimating that to be between 20%-25% of the loan amount.

In dollar terms, the average PVA was $425,000 for the properties auctioned in January. Using the 60% loss severity estimate, this is $255,000 loss per property. Granted that San Diego is not only the high end but also one of the most volatile MSAs, this is still quite a shocking number.

Estimating REO Prevalence Including REDC Auctions – over 60%?

San Diego MLS data showed that 44% of January pending sales were REOs. REOs sold at auction are not reported in the MLS. At the current pace of one auction every two months, there should be 6 of these REDC auctions in 2008. Say 100 REOs are sold at each auction, 600 REOs need to be added to the REOs sold via the MLS.

Financing – Agency and FHA Loan Limits Are Non-Issues

In spite of SD being one of the highest priced MSA in the nation, problem properties are clearly well below agency limits of $417k. Using the January auction:

$425,308 – average PVA using auctioneer’s number

$438,285 – average PVA using last sale

$421,982 – average PVA using last refinance

$282,980 – average auction price (including 5% buyers premium)

While raising agency and FHA loan limits may address liquidity problems for the higher end properties, it has no effect whatsoever on the current pool of REOs. The financing problem is finding qualified borrowers, not availability.

Credit Bubble REOs – Already Setting Records

It is without a doubt that REOs in San Diego to date are credit bubble REOs. I define credit bubble REOs as properties with loans where the borrowers have no ability or no intention of repaying, unless the underlying property value appreciates. The household financial condition has not changed. Defaults are triggered by depreciation in value/equity.

Normal Downcycle REOs – Coming Around the Corner

Normal REOs are results of changes in household financial condition, most common of which are lost of employment or unexpected increases in expenses such as medical bills. Reset is a new factor unique to this cycle.

Auction Properties Quality – JUNK

Eye balling the properties, there are a lot of junk. 44% of the January auction consisted of condos versus 34% of sales during the last 6 months as reported by the MLS. Only 6 properties out of 118 sold for over $500,000 at auction with the highest sale at $761,250. This is confirming that REOs have not spread into mainstream properties, yet.

Conclusion

Looking ahead, the REO pipeline is going to swell as new REOs are added to the unsold inventory. This is a fact, not a guess. In order for the volume of REOs to decline, defaults have to be stabilizing and declining NOW, if not earlier.

Having been in real estate business for over 30 years, I have never seen market conditions like we have today. What is most puzzling is the level of complacency. While market consensus seems to recognize that there is a problem, fear of lost opportunities still appears to be much higher than fear of real loss.

If you think January was volatile, you are not going to like the rest of 2008.

When people are greedy, be afraid. When people are afraid, be greedy.
:blackdot: Unfortunately, people in SD aren't afraid enough yet. Buying now when foreclosures are setting new records every month would be the height of stupidity.
It depends.Don't confuse the movements of the market as a whole with the movements of individual properties. There may be a home that is exactly what you want in the exact location you want at a price you think is within a reasonable range of the bottom. Maybe its due to a short sale or some other circumstance where that home is significantly below the market now and has already priced in future declines.For example, if the market was $500k for a home and you think the bottom is $450k for that home...if someone lists that home for $450k now, it won't fall another $50k. It has already priced it in to move now. These are the homes you need to look for in the area you love. If you don't see any, wait. If you do, don't fall into the trap that since the market as a whole still needs to correct that you shouldn't buy that individual home.

When people are greedy, be afraid.

When people are afraid, be greedy.
:blackdot: Unfortunately, people in SD aren't afraid enough yet. Buying now when foreclosures are setting new records every month would be the height of stupidity.
It depends.Don't confuse the movements of the market as a whole with the movements of individual properties. There may be a home that is exactly what you want in the exact location you want at a price you think is within a reasonable range of the bottom. Maybe its due to a short sale or some other circumstance where that home is significantly below the market now and has already priced in future declines.

For example, if the market was $500k for a home and you think the bottom is $450k for that home...if someone lists that home for $450k now, it won't fall another $50k. It has already priced it in to move now. These are the homes you need to look for in the area you love. If you don't see any, wait. If you do, don't fall into the trap that since the market as a whole still needs to correct that you shouldn't buy that individual home.
How in the world could you ever know this, especially with the numbers screaming that price declines are accelerating, not stabilizing?With thousands of REOs entering the market monthly, how could prices stabilize anytime in the near future? If every month adds 1k in REO to inventory, the downward pressure on price increases. What kind of data would support the idea that a home has reached it's "bottom" re: price in a market that is in virtual free fall?

Not being argumentative, but asking questions. I can understand bottom calling once indicators suggest the market is stabilizing, but the foreclosure numbers I've cited suggest that must-sell inventory is flooding the market. Can you come up with any reasonable scenario to support the idea that prices are at bottom in a market where the foreclosure rate is accelerating at record levels?

:confused: Unfortunately, people in SD aren't afraid enough yet. Buying now when foreclosures are setting new records every month would be the height of stupidity.
It depends.Don't confuse the movements of the market as a whole with the movements of individual properties. There may be a home that is exactly what you want in the exact location you want at a price you think is within a reasonable range of the bottom. Maybe its due to a short sale or some other circumstance where that home is significantly below the market now and has already priced in future declines.

For example, if the market was $500k for a home and you think the bottom is $450k for that home...if someone lists that home for $450k now, it won't fall another $50k. It has already priced it in to move now. These are the homes you need to look for in the area you love. If you don't see any, wait. If you do, don't fall into the trap that since the market as a whole still needs to correct that you shouldn't buy that individual home.
How in the world could you ever know this, especially with the numbers screaming that price declines are accelerating, not stabilizing?With thousands of REOs entering the market monthly, how could prices stabilize anytime in the near future? If every month adds 1k in REO to inventory, the downward pressure on price increases. What kind of data would support the idea that a home as reached it's "bottom" re: price in a market that is in virtual free fall?

Not being argumentative, but asking questions. I can understand bottom calling once indicators suggest the market is stabilizing, but the foreclosure numbers I've cited suggest that must-sell inventory is flooding the market. Can you come up with any reasonable scenario to support the idea that prices are stabilizing in a market where the foreclosure rate is accelerating at record levels?
I'm not saying that prices are stabilizing at all.What I am saying is that if you think that the market has x% to fall, and you see a home compared to other houses for sale like it that has priced in that decline (for whatever reason) recognize that.

Homes don't move all in lock step with each other, and certain areas of SD County that you have no interest living in may be throwing your stats off as they have nothing to do with where you want to live.

Now you may say that you have no idea how much the market has to fall, you just know that it will, then you're smarter than most. It then becomes a function of you really liking a home you'll be in long term, getting a deal on that home you think reflects the risk you're taking, and having a payment for that house that you can afford.

It is very tough to buy a home in this kind of market compared to a stabilized market that is growing 3% a year. However this is also where people make the most money because of the unknowns and you doing the research to put yourself at a competitive advantage compared to the rest of the masses.

If you don't feel comfortable, don't buy. But be aware that a home is not a commodity that is the same block to block, zip code to zip code.

When people are greedy, be afraid. When people are afraid, be greedy.
:confused: Unfortunately, people in SD aren't afraid enough yet. Buying now when foreclosures are setting new records every month would be the height of stupidity.
It depends.Don't confuse the movements of the market as a whole with the movements of individual properties. There may be a home that is exactly what you want in the exact location you want at a price you think is within a reasonable range of the bottom. Maybe its due to a short sale or some other circumstance where that home is significantly below the market now and has already priced in future declines.For example, if the market was $500k for a home and you think the bottom is $450k for that home...if someone lists that home for $450k now, it won't fall another $50k. It has already priced it in to move now. These are the homes you need to look for in the area you love. If you don't see any, wait. If you do, don't fall into the trap that since the market as a whole still needs to correct that you shouldn't buy that individual home.
I would agree with this. The overall housing market comprises a lot of individual parts. Just because the overall direction of the market is south, it doesn't necessarily follow that every house that's bought in the next 2 years will decline.TG, you're in an enviable position because you don't have any pressure to do anything soon - you can wait until you see a good opportunity to pounce on.I will tell a little story about how I bought the house I live in now. I was looking, not needing to buy anything anytime soon, just waiting for the right opportunity to come along. This was in 2000, the market was hot, I was convinced that we were going to buy at the top of the market, but we needed a place to live for the long term and I was tired of paying rent and we had a good down payment available. We looked at a lot of houses over 3-4 months, made one offer (got out-bid by a lot) but stayed patient. Eventually our agents' connections in the industry paid off- they knew another agent that had just gotten a listing that she wanted to flip quickly without having to spend a lot of time marketing. We got in and met the woman who was selling the place and she decided she liked us enough to sell without ever putting the property on MLS. I am 100% confident that we would not have been able to beat the highest bid if the property had been marketed properly to the public. The point of this story is, in every market, hot, cold, or sideways, there are properties out there that are underpriced relative to the market. If you have no pressure to buy immediately, you can wait for one of those properties to come along.

Now you may say that you have no idea how much the market has to fall, you just know that it will, then you're smarter than most.
I don't consider myself smarter than the average Joe - but I do have enough curiosity to pour through the data before investing several hundred thousand dollars. In this case, the data is extremely one sided. Housing prices do not turn on a dime. You can accurately predict the relative health of a market months in advance by looking at sales, inventory, foreclosures, notice of defaults, etc. A review of that data suggests that there is 0% chance that home prices in San Diego County stabilize within the next 6-8 months. I can state with 100% certainty that home prices will fall significantly over the next 6 months in SD County. It's really not difficult at all.
It then becomes a function of you really liking a home you'll be in long term, getting a deal on that home you think reflects the risk you're taking, and having a payment for that house that you can afford.
That sounds nice and all, but the reality is that even if you like the home you buy now, if you can buy a much nicer place for the same $ 1 year later, you'll regret it. It's human nature.
It is very tough to buy a home in this kind of market compared to a stabilized market that is growing 3% a year. However this is also where people make the most money because of the unknowns and you doing the research to put yourself at a competitive advantage compared to the rest of the masses.
Amen.
If you don't feel comfortable, don't buy. But be aware that a home is not a commodity that is the same block to block, zip code to zip code.
I agree, to a certain extent. While RE is local and markets can fluctuate from zip code to zip code, when entire areas are in free fall, all homes in the surrounding area are affected. Just like a rising tide lifts all boats, the receding tide will bring all home prices down, even in neighborhoods w/o a singe foreclosure. Good post bagger. :thumbup:

tommyGunZ said:
OC Zed said:
Do you have any data showing how the foreclosures break down across the different market segments?
This piece yields some interesting info for the RE :lmao: 's like me, you and bagger. The author, Ramsey Su, is a San Diego RE market analyst who has been in the SD RE game for over 30 years.
REDC AUCTIONS

by Ramsey Su

REDC has conducted four REO auctions in San Diego during the last 8 months, the most recent being January 26 of this year.

I have extensive data on 3 of the 4 auctions. Here are some of the findings...
Wow, this was an extremely interesting read.

tommyGunZ said:
OC Zed said:
This piece yields some interesting info for the RE :lmao: 's like me, you and bagger. The author, Ramsey Su, is a San Diego RE market analyst who has been in the SD RE game for over 30 years.
REDC AUCTIONS

by Ramsey Su

I have extensive data on 3 of the 4 auctions. Here are some of the findings...
Wow, this was an extremely interesting read.
I thought so too. Some excellent analysis, and it doesn't paint a pretty picture for SD RE in the near term. Looks like I won't be buying anytime soon.

tommyGunZ said:
bagger said:
tommyGunZ said:
bagger said:

:excited: Unfortunately, people in SD aren't afraid enough yet. Buying now when foreclosures are setting new records every month would be the height of stupidity.

How in the world could you ever know this, especially with the numbers screaming that price declines are accelerating, not stabilizing?With thousands of REOs entering the market monthly, how could prices stabilize anytime in the near future? If every month adds 1k in REO to inventory, the downward pressure on price increases. What kind of data would support the idea that a home has reached it's "bottom" re: price in a market that is in virtual free fall?

Not being argumentative, but asking questions. I can understand bottom calling once indicators suggest the market is stabilizing, but the foreclosure numbers I've cited suggest that must-sell inventory is flooding the market. Can you come up with any reasonable scenario to support the idea that prices are at bottom in a market where the foreclosure rate is accelerating at record levels?
Although I would echo bagger's points about looking at each home individually, for a general sense of the market, I would rely on historical indicators as price-to-income ratios and mortgage vs. rent comparisons. You can get this information for specific towns and neighborhoods (heck, I'm sure your local "bubble" blog is constantly featuring this data and how out-of-whack it is).

Although I would echo bagger's points about looking at each home individually, for a general sense of the market, I would rely on historical indicators as price-to-income ratios and mortgage vs. rent comparisons. You can get this information for specific towns and neighborhoods (heck, I'm sure your local "bubble" blog is constantly featuring this data and how out-of-whack it is).
Here is a WSJ Article discussing price-to-income ratios as a market barometer.
R.O.I.

By BRETT ARENDS

DOW JONES REPRINTS

Homes in Bubble Regions

Remain Wildly Overvalued

February 12, 2008

If you own a home in a former bubble region like California or southern Florida, there's bad news… and really bad news.

And they suggest that it is still way too early to go bargain hunting in these markets, although -- of course -- there is always the occasional deal around.

The bad news is fresh market data published Monday night by real-estate Web site Zillow.com. They show prices, as expected, kept slumping through the end of last year.

A new report from Zillow.com shows home values dropped nationwide by 3%. Chief Financial Officer Spencer Rascoff discusses which cities saw the largest declines.

But the really bad news is that, even after a year of misery and falling prices, homes in many of these regions still aren't cheap. They remain wildly overvalued compared to average personal incomes.

There is a strong long-term correlation between the two figures. And in many regions, house prices would still have to fall a very long way to get back into line.

How far?

Try around a third in Florida and Arizona -- and closer to 40% in California.

Yes, from here. The long-term chart for California is shown below.

Even if house prices stabilized, it would take a decade or more for rising incomes to catch up.

The data on median house prices and per capita personal income in these states have been tracked by Karl Case, economics professor at Wellesley College. (He is one half of the duo behind the closely-watched Case-Schiller real estate index).

[chart]

Professor Case's numbers ran through the end of the third quarter. I decided to see how they might look today, using Zillow's data for the fourth quarter.

The company hasn't posted statewide data, but the price falls across the many cities it tracks give a pretty strong picture. From these I assumed, for the sake of calculations, that California prices fell 8% last quarter from the third quarter, a huge number by historic measures but not out of line with Zillow's data. For Florida and Arizona I assumed declines of 5% and 5.5%. You could use other, more modest estimates for the recent declines: They won't change the outcomes much. I also assumed personal incomes in these states rose in line with recent and historic averages."

The results? In all three markets, the prices are well off their peaks when compared to incomes. But they remain far above historic averages.

Median prices in California peaked in 2006 at 13.3 times per capita incomes. Hard to believe, but true. They may be down now to about 11.1 times.

But that's still way above the ground. Throughout most of the 80s and 90s they ranged between six and seven times incomes.

Just to get down to seven times incomes, prices would have to fall 37% tomorrow.

Those who bought at the peak of the cycle may be pinning their hopes instead on "incomes catching up" instead. But they had better be patient. Even if house prices stayed exactly where they are, it would take around 10 years for rising incomes to bring the ratios back into any sort of alignment.

And it would take even longer before prices started to look very cheap again.

That's based on average personal income growth of 4.6% a year in California and Florida and 4.2% in Arizona.

Yes, these are projections and estimates. Time and chance will play their usual roles. And there will doubtless be different pictures within regions of the same state.

Nonetheless the overall picture is pretty clear. And, if you are a homeowner in any of these regions, none too appealing.

California home sales plunge to 20-year low

25 percent decrease from December to January, median price also falls

LOS ANGELES - Housing market data from January show California home sales have plunged to their lowest level in more than 20 years.

DataQuick Information Systems said Thursday that 19,145 homes were purchased statewide last month, a 41 percent drop from January 2007's total and down about 25 percent from December's sales. DataQuick's records go back to 1988. The data show that the statewide median home price also fell in January to $383,000. That's a drop of about 17 percent from $462,000 a year earlier and down about 5 percent from December after peaking last spring at $484,000.
Looks like the declines are just starting to make significant dents. A 20% drop this year in median prices at the very least is my prediction.

California home sales plunge to 20-year low

25 percent decrease from December to January, median price also falls

LOS ANGELES - Housing market data from January show California home sales have plunged to their lowest level in more than 20 years.

DataQuick Information Systems said Thursday that 19,145 homes were purchased statewide last month, a 41 percent drop from January 2007's total and down about 25 percent from December's sales. DataQuick's records go back to 1988. The data show that the statewide median home price also fell in January to $383,000. That's a drop of about 17 percent from $462,000 a year earlier and down about 5 percent from December after peaking last spring at $484,000.
Looks like the declines are just starting to make significant dents. A 20% drop this year in median prices at the very least is my prediction.
This could be true, but keep in mind that the median is only a reflection of the middle point of where the sales are occurring in the market. The median could be dragged down by a lot of the lower-end, subprime housing forced to sell due to foreclosures while upper-end sellers may try to wait 2008 out without budging on prices (and thus prolonging the correction). This is what's happening in Orange County right now. It's both amusing and frustrating to listen to beachtown sellers try to explain why their homes are completely immune from any market correction while the rest of the County gets pounded down. Of course, no one is buying that argument as the sales volume has been in decline for 2 straight years.

Users who are viewing this thread