What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How's your housing market? (1 Viewer)

I feel bad still showing our house when we already have a possible buyer and paperwork has been sent to lawyers but I guess enough falls through so you need backups. We had 2 more showings today that I'm sure will make a bid. One agent even told me they were. I hate to get people's hopes up.

Orlando market is hot.  Inventory usually runs around 8,000 homes in Orange county but currently average is around 1,800 homes, definitely a sellers market.  I did a FISBO on parents home 280K in January before market heated up, buyer financing fell thru in April and I did not extend contract due to increase in value.  Listed with realtor to get MLS exposure on a Monday 320K, Tuesday had showings every hour and Friday had 10 offers with some cash and some over listing price.  End results took the 330K with no apprisal contingencies and "as is", there was a 350K offer but was contingent on appraisal and the cash offers were below listing price.  All offers had mortgage pre-approvals.  Luck was definitely on my side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, California is amazing.  Going to explore the redwood forests in May and check out some of the northern coast line, which I've never done.  
Just drove from here to Napa and back a few weeks ago.  I'd been Napa area south in California, and Bandon north in Oregon, but never the area between, say, Eugene and Napa.  Unbelievable.  I'm not sure I've ever seen another more beautiful area, almost certainly not in the US.  Enjoy your trip; it's such a treat (like raisins).

Just drove from here to Napa and back a few weeks ago.  I'd been Napa area south in California, and Bandon north in Oregon, but never the area between, say, Eugene and Napa.  Unbelievable.  I'm not sure I've ever seen another more beautiful area, almost certainly not in the US.  Enjoy your trip; it's such a treat (like raisins).
I live on the east coast but have driven from Astoria to San Fran 3 times with lot of time to explore the coast and forests. It is my absolute favorite spot on earth. 

No doubt. Beautiful state

Right - but how often are folks really explaining why they wouldn't want to live in North Dakota, Iowa, or Alabama?  That phase is almost always used when someone is referring to a place that is widely viewed as desirable.

Probably an overgeneralization - but you get my drift.  
Would love to live in San Diego but I can't afford it.  You COULD pay me to live there, but I still probably couldn't afford it. ;)

I feel bad still showing our house when we already have a possible buyer and paperwork has been sent to lawyers but I guess enough falls through so you need backups. We had 2 more showings today that I'm sure will make a bid. One agent even told me they were. I hate to get people's hopes up.
I wouldn't feel too bad, if I had a dollar for every time an agent said they were putting in an offer and then nothing comes...

Have a build job for a client we went pending on in October at $264,900.  Townhome 3/2/1360

The 1360 model has 26 pendings now in MLS. Last sale for the last phase is at $319,900.  Appraisal came in at $330,000.

25% gain in six months and they get the keys next Wednesday.

Really wish I was in a spot where it was possible to sell my place and rent for the next 1-2 years.   But alas, Mrs APK isn't on board with it.  "Why would we rent right now when the kids are entering high school soon?"

She's right of course.  It's unlikely we will be able to sell our house for a better price 5 years from now......and if we still have this house in 5 years, she won't want to leave Chicago then, and we will be stuck here forever.  ;)

When relators are cold-calling and posting on FB if you're interested in selling...
I used my broker to get pre-qualified early this week, a guy I’ve used multiple times before. 15 mins after he ran my credit I started getting random text and spam calls from different people asking if I’m interested in refinancing or a loan.  It’s been like a flood.  5/6 a day.  I’m blocking calls like a mad man.  Pure feeding frenzy.  

I've never seen anything like the market right now. Insane. And fortunately, we are about to sell our home. Good timing. Surely, things can't keep going much higher than they are right now. 

I've never seen anything like the market right now. Insane. And fortunately, we are about to sell our home. Good timing. Surely, things can't keep going much higher than they are right now. 
So where are you gonna move? As in, new, cheaper location, new construction? Do you just consider it a lateral move?

Is anyone getting their places appraised?

We are under contract on t a second home in the Disney area and our appraisal came in way low.  The market in that neighborhood was way down during Covid since it's right by Disney, and now with things re-opening the market has blown up.  We are under contract at $565k and the whole neighborhood is basically the same home.  Two just sold for $590k and there are 10 more under contract between $590k and $620k.

Yet our appraiser came back in the low $500's citing a bunch of comps from months ago when the market was still depressed.  There is literally nothing in the neighborhood you can buy for less than $590k right now but this guy is still appraising low $500's.  Tried a reconsideration and they basically just sent back a list of the old comps.

So frustrating that these clowns get $600 a pop to understand the real estate market but all they do is put a few comps into an excel spreadsheet and run an average like any trained monkey could do.

I really don't want to have to back out because the seller could turn around and get this home back under contract for $600k with another buyer tomorrow and we won't find anything less than that but damn it's a lot of unexpected cash to dish out to cover the appraisal gap.
Have you talked to your lender about ordering a second appraisal? It's not free of course but could save you a bunch of money. 

PNW here...our market is off the charts.  It's ridiculous.  They are about to price everyone out of here

Putting my house up today.  My realtor who I’ve worked with for 10 yrs (she’s done it our town for 25) and got us this home did a work up 2 weeks ago and suggested a price which was above what we hoped to get.  Today we signed the paperwork to list and she’s up’d it by another 10k, and is positive it will go for 10-30 over that.  Super heated market.  So nuts.  

Some folks near us outside of Nashville just got 60 over asking by some folks moving here from California.  Guy is flying here tonight from New York to look at our house tomorrow. 

Some folks near us outside of Nashville just got 60 over asking by some folks moving here from California.  Guy is flying here tonight from New York to look at our house tomorrow. 
We looked at 2 houses yesterday, we’re not ready to pull the trigger but are getting a sense of what’s out there in our range.  Both houses just listed mid week last week so this weekend was the only showings.  Today both houses have 13 or 14 offers on them ranging from 50 to 75 over.  And the list price was high so I was assuming the “over” was baked into that list price.  Wrong!   

market in raleigh is psychotic , but we’re not ready to relo to italy yet.  new apple facility announced last week will further ramp this market.  12/2019 we decided to buy a beach condo out on topsail.  nothing special.  Ask was 191 and we bought for 186.  Did a full reno cause it was old.  Our broker reached out and said she has buyers lined up offering 275+.  staycations, plus no one spent money all year, plus our government decided to print money for people that obviously already had plenty of money.  maybe every year we can send everyone 3-5k.

dkp993 said:
Putting my house up today.  My realtor who I’ve worked with for 10 yrs (she’s done it our town for 25) and got us this home did a work up 2 weeks ago and suggested a price which was above what we hoped to get.  Today we signed the paperwork to list and she’s up’d it by another 10k, and is positive it will go for 10-30 over that.  Super heated market.  So nuts.  
Are you selling just to sell because of the hot market or were you anticipating selling anyway when the time was right?

Is this another bubble situation?  How are people affording these prices?  Just selling/upgrading so it's all relative?  Spending all that government cheese being doled out over the last year? 

Is this another bubble situation?  How are people affording these prices?  Just selling/upgrading so it's all relative?  Spending all that government cheese being doled out over the last year? 
Low rates, extra cash, no inventory, can't build new houses due to lumber costs and lack of labor, people selling small homes in places like SF, SEA, LA, SD, NY etc taking those profits and outbidding people in places like Boise, Portland, Denver etc.  The 2007-2008 bubble was predictable.  Guys like @RedmondLonghorn and I were screaming about the impending bubble, it was obvious.  So obvious.  Made the most money in my life shorting it in 2007.  But I ain't shorting this one and I don't see what catalyst is out there to pop it.  

Users who are viewing this thread