What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Psych (1 Viewer)

Red Apples

Footballguy
On USa there is a new series, which is just great.Check it out it airs right after monk on Friday Nights.

PLAYING MIND GAMESCRIME IS NO JOKE TO THIS 'PSYCHIC' July 5, 2006 -- "Psych" Friday night at on USA REMEMBER the first time you saw "Monk" and knew you were watching the impossible - a show that was not only totally original, but was funny, quirky and unclassifiable? Well, believe it or not, USA has another one for you. It's called "Psych," and it's not only laugh-out-loud-until-soda-squirts-out-of-your-nose funny, but it's also perfectly cast - another miracle so rare in modern television. The show is about a lovable slacker, Shawn Spencer (James Roday from "Miss Match" and "The Dukes of Hazzard"), whose disapproving, estranged, retired cop father (Corbin Bernsen) taught (and taunted) him as a kid to have insanely keen observation skills. The only good it did him is, as a professional slacker/girl chaser, Shawn has managed to make a small living collecting reward money from calling in tips while watching news coverage of crime scenes. He does exactly what Dad taught him to do - observe. A couple of detectives who also happen to be having an affair (Julia O'Hara and Carlton Lassiter) decide there's something very fishy about this guy and attempt to arrest Shawn when he comes to collect his reward money for a case he nailed. When he can't explain how he actually knows all the stuff hesays he knows, he makes up a story. That's right, he's - yes! - a psychic detective! To further play his hand, he fakes a seizure while "under the influence" of his psychic spell. He does this a lot, and you will howl every time. When Shawn realizes he can actually make a living by faking people out, he opens a private psychic-detective agency and tries to drag his best childhood friend, the very responsible Gus (Dulé Hill from "The West Wing") into it. Hill, who was a real stiff on the "Wing," has come into his own here as an uncomfortable metrosexual, neat-freak, drug company sales rep. Gus never wants anything to do with Shawn's Ralph Kramden get-rich-quick schemes, but he always ends up going along because, well, his life is so boring without risky, annoying Shawn. Shawn's scam takes in everyone - except for his dad, who has recently moved back to town. It's a pure delight to see Bernsen - who's looking mighty fine, by the way - back in a role that's perfect for him. You don't have to be psychic to figure out that this one could do for these guys what "Entourage" did for those guys - and do for USA what "Monk" continues to do: put them on the map. "Psych" is just terrific.

:thumbup:

I'm a huge MONK fan and I gave Psych a shot the other night. I liked the pilot episode and plan to continue watching it in hopes of not being disappointed.

I watch Monk and saw this. A perfect companion show to Monk - other network executives should take a cue on how to do that.

Variety

'Psych' brings good fortune to USA

Cabler's skein makes good in debut

By JOHN DEMPSEY

USA hopes Friday night will foretell a bright ratings future. Net's "Psych" bowed Friday as the highest-rated debut episode of a basic-cable series so far this year....

It was OK, although having the extended pilot made it feel a little long, and Dule Hill needs to bring more to future episodes. He needs to be more than just the cartoon angel on the shoulder.

OK, there was a big drop off in episode 2.

they also changed one of the actors and they explained it away w/ a voiceover well after the fact.

it was jammed in there when there was a single shot of the new blonde actress...

"hey who's the blonde?"

"that's the new partner, the girlfriend transferred out"

and the boy playing the young Spenser was also very different.

Still have high hopes for it, though.

they also changed one of the actors and they explained it away w/ a voiceover well after the fact.

it was jammed in there when there was a single shot of the new blonde actress...

"hey who's the blonde?"

I think the change to the new actress, while it made the last episode awkward, is better in the long run. Spencer/Psych needs an ally in the police department, and having that be the girlfriend of his "enemy" was probably not the best course for the show - so having that be someone else was probably a wise choice.

"hey who's the blonde?"

Maybe she signed on to another show after the pilot was filmed? At least they recognized it was different :shrug:

I enjoyed the pilot quite a bit. But after watching the second episode, the whole concept is going to run dry pretty fast. how many times will we watch a fake psychic vision scene in the Captain's office before it getsmind-numbingly boring.

I enjoyed the pilot quite a bit. But after watching the second episode, the whole concept is going to run dry pretty fast. how many times will we watch a fake psychic vision scene in the Captain's office before it getsmind-numbingly boring.
i thought the same thing about house but that show gets major propsill check psych out since red apples recommended

(another wire freak :thumbup: )

tonight on USA...

“Psych,” 9 p.m., USA. James Roday and Dule Hill return in the new episode “Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Piece.” The show is the highest-rated new drama on cable so far this year.
previews look good, hoping for an upswing from last weeks episode.

I agree...i've seen it once and laughed my ### off.....but it could get pretty stale pretty quick.

I like the replacement detective they brought in- she's hotter than the one in the pilot.

However, I still don't get what Dule's character brings to the show. Other than using his super sniffer in the 2nd episode, he doesn't help much outside of providing a car (they suggested he would with his vault knowledge, but never got to use it).

I like the replacement detective they brought in- she's hotter than the one in the pilot.

However, I still don't get what Dule's character brings to the show.  Other than using his super sniffer in the 2nd episode, he doesn't help much outside of providing a car (they suggested he would with his vault knowledge, but never got to use it).
He remembered to knock on the door when they were breaking into hotel rooms. Shawn even said "Now this why I can't do this alone." But, yeah, he doesn't do much. The air guitar scene in the closing credits looked like it had some potential. Dunno where that would have fit in though.I agree about the new detective. She's cuter and less hostile than the original.

Last edited by a moderator:

However, I still don't get what Dule's character brings to the show. Other than using his super sniffer in the 2nd episode, he doesn't help much outside of providing a car (they suggested he would with his vault knowledge, but never got to use it).
He remembered to knock on the door when they were breaking into hotel rooms. Shawn even said "Now this why I can't do this alone." But, yeah, he doesn't do much. The air guitar scene in the closing credits looked like it had some potential. Dunno where that would have fit in though.I agree about the new detective. She's cuter and less hostile than the original.
Did they say in the pilot what Dule's real job was? They've shown him at work twice, but I must have missed what his job was.

However, I still don't get what Dule's character brings to the show.  Other than using his super sniffer in the 2nd episode, he doesn't help much outside of providing a car (they suggested he would with his vault knowledge, but never got to use it).
Did they say in the pilot what Dule's real job was? They've shown him at work twice, but I must have missed what his job was.
Pharmaceutical development/sales maybe? I know he had drug samples at some point.

I enjoyed the pilot quite a bit.  But after watching the second episode, the whole concept is going to run dry pretty fast.  how many times will we watch a fake psychic vision scene in the Captain's office before it getsmind-numbingly boring.
I agree...i've seen it once and laughed my ### off.....but it could get pretty stale pretty quick.
noy buying it.the show can stay fresh as sean begins to get a name for himself. new cases...not all just assignments from the cops...maybe even new towns.

by the by, i love every time sean "has a vision" he yells out, "gus".

In the spelling bee episode, his knowledge of the years of the winning words was critical to solving the case. In the pilot, his knowledge of chemical compound of a medicine for dog bites was critical to solving the case in the end. His character has a lot to do with the cases that are solved, but you have to look for it.

In the spelling bee episode, his knowledge of the years of the winning words was critical to solving the case. In the pilot, his knowledge of chemical compound of a medicine for dog bites was critical to solving the case in the end. His character has a lot to do with the cases that are solved, but you have to look for it.
In the spelling bee episode, he knew the words because they were on a brochure they picked up. If he had known the words, he would have given them out when they were faking being officials up in the balcony.

In the spelling bee episode, he knew the words because they were on a brochure they picked up. If he had known the words, he would have given them out when they were faking being officials up in the balcony.
It was his knowledge of the YEARS of the words that cracked the case. It allowed Psych to understand what "1953" meant on the dead spellmaster's page. Without that, Psych doesn't solve that case.

He could have given him any word, he didn't want to affect the integrity of the spelling bee. Shawn did that for him though.Ba Na Na. "Definition please". :lmao:

Im freinds with Dule Hill ... and I feel bad that I've only caught about 10 minutes if this show.. which I liked a lot , glad people like it though.

Anybody watch the Season 8 Premier this week? Great show. Cary Elwes is one of my favorites. One thing I love about this show is there ability to get guest stars.

How about the musical? I haven't watched the whole thing. Sitting on my DVR.

"Man, I thought I saw Rupert Grint, but is was just dumb old Prince Harry!"

Loved the Season 8 premiere—funniest ep since last year's Lassie Jerky. Elwes is always awesome on this show. I wish he'd be on more, especially as they wind the series down . . .

Musical was really good, but fell short of greatness in my opinion. They could've used some catchier, more quotable tunes & hooks.

Loved the Season 8 premiere—funniest ep since last year's Lassie Jerky. Elwes is always awesome on this show. I wish he'd be on more, especially as they wind the series down . . .

Musical was really good, but fell short of greatness in my opinion. They could've used some catchier, more quotable tunes & hooks.
How many more seasons are they going to do?

How many more seasons are they going to do?
Rumor has it that they'll either stop after this one, or do one more . . . I'd guess they'd give us at least another half season after this one.

Too bad, one of my favorite shows. Wonder if the effictive cancelation of Maggie Lawson's other show "Back in the Game" (not a bad show) will have anything to do with this.

Too bad, one of my favorite shows. Wonder if the effictive cancelation of Maggie Lawson's other show "Back in the Game" (not a bad show) will have anything to do with this.
Well, that's presumably why she wasn't in the premiere—she was off filming that. But the future of Psych was in limbo with her doing BitG. USA only ordered 8 episodes for this season, plus another two when it was clear BitG wasn't gonna make it. But they still haven't announced whether it's the last season or not.

I enjoyed it for the most part. On the other hand, there's an absolutely brilliant "did he just say what I thought he said?" reference in an exchange that Barry Bostwick has with one of the actresses that I had to rewind to catch.

My son is a huge fan, has all of the DVDs. :thumbup:

Went to see Rifftrax's destruction of Starship Troopers a few months back and Timothy Omundson (Lassie) had a brief appearance in that movie where he played a psychic. Sweet irony.

Users who are viewing this thread