What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (2 Viewers)

Tesla missed badly and has production and labor issues. Stock could get hit extra hard tomorrow. It may drop below $300 share.

Market cap will still be larger than Ford. 

Tesla missed badly and has production and labor issues. Stock could get hit extra hard tomorrow. It may drop below $300 share.

Market cap will still be larger than Ford. 
I'm so tempted to short, but per usual, I get the sense that the Tesla bulls will come to the rescue between $290-$300.

Theyve also changed their forecast from 5k cars a week by the end of the year to the end of Q1. 

I mean, who would've thought producing automobiles would be so difficult, :mindblown:

But don't worry, they're not really an auto company, they're a travel company, an autonomous driving company, a power company, ELON MUSK!!! 

I'm so tempted to short, but per usual, I get the sense that the Tesla bulls will come to the rescue between $290-$300.

Theyve also changed their forecast from 5k cars a week by the end of the year to the end of Q1. 

I mean, who would've thought producing automobiles would be so difficult, :mindblown:

But don't worry, they're not really an auto company, they're a travel company, an autonomous driving company, a power company, ELON MUSK!!! 
The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent - JMK

Please let us know how the delivery experience goes.  How was the sales process?  Did you get to test drive a S75 before purchasing?  I was trying to figure out the differences between their  sedan models - This helped a bit

Congrats on the car.  It looks to be a blast to drive.
How long until people start jail breaking their cars?

not surprising the current GOP tax plan removes the $7500 tax credit.  I’d rather see them phase it out.

Are they crafting these things by hand or what? It’s like back when Ferrari made 200 cars a year by hand. 

Even Preston Tucker is like wtf?

Chief battery engineer is leaving.  Most shorted stock in North America. Should be back to $350/share by Christmas. 

:thumbdown: It still looks like a Porsche.
:goodposting:

Why cant Porsche build anything that doesn't look like a 911 these days? Thinking back to the '80's they had the 911, 944, and (my favorite) the 928. Completely different looking cars.

Now they have the Panamera, Cayman, and Boxster which are all basically just the 911 stretched out or squished in and given different motors. 

So Elon, your chief battery dude is gone, feels like an important position, what happened?

Have you guys seen the pictures of our new semis? We'll have renderings in less than a month!!

Stock goes up 4%

:goodposting:

Why cant Porsche build anything that doesn't look like a 911 these days? Thinking back to the '80's they had the 911, 944, and (my favorite) the 928. Completely different looking cars.

Now they have the Panamera, Cayman, and Boxster which are all basically just the 911 stretched out or squished in and given different motors. 
Northern Virginia is infested with Macans.  :X

They almost hit their 5,000 a week goal at the end of 2017...

Wait, no they didn't
But I am sure they made boatloads on those sales.   

They are collecting deposits on the semi trucks to finance the Model 3s that they can't build.  How many deposits on Model 3 have they been asked to refund at this point?

They will start taking deposits on Model Y soon and then the pick up truck to keep the Ponzi scheme going. 

Love that this thread is still small enough to read from the beginning. We've gone from discussing concept cars to freaking Semi trucks.

Stock getting hammered on NHTSA investigation, production shortfall, and credit downgrades.   They need another round of funding.  

Elon is the only positive for this company right now.  

Just got my email today that my 3 is ready to order.

Not too many choices, but having a difficult time on the full self driving (I'm definitely getting the enhanced auto pilot). 

I've read some reports that doubt whether Tesla will ever be able to implement FSD on the current models. And buying the FSD capability now is a waste of $3k. But then Musk tweeted that the next autopilot update due in August will start using the FSD capability.

Anyone have any knowledge or an opinion on this issue? Thanks.

Not too many choices, but having a difficult time on the full self driving (I'm definitely getting the enhanced auto pilot). 

I've read some reports that doubt whether Tesla will ever be able to implement FSD on the current models. And buying the FSD capability now is a waste of $3k. But then Musk tweeted that the next autopilot update due in August will start using the FSD capability.

don't know the answer, but i've usually gotten good answers on their forum - https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/categories/tesla-forum.47/

congrats on the Model 3.  Starting to see quite a few of them around town.

whoknew said:

Friend got a similar email. They will let her pick options but unless she goes with more expensive choices it will still be 6-9 months out

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't make what up? The news media over reacting to non-news?

Many current owners (S, X and 3 alike) are reporting that Tesla has always asked for $2500 when configuring your car. Buyers are going to have to produce $50k+, or do you think they're getting the 3 for free?
Most manufacturers don’t ask for upfront money from a customer, let alone twice.  But most manufacturers use a franchise model. 

Can't make what up? The news media over reacting to non-news?

Many current owners (S, X and 3 alike) are reporting that Tesla has always asked for $2500 when configuring your car. Buyers are going to have to produce $50k+, or do you think they're getting the 3 for free?
For free? I don't go down to my local Ford dealership, give them $3,500 and say hey in a year from now hopefully you can make the car that I'm giving you this deposit for. And if not, no worries it's nonrefundable so just keep my money.

Most manufacturers don’t ask for upfront money from a customer, let alone twice.  But most manufacturers use a franchise model. 
So what? What other manufacturer received 300,000 reservation requests for a car with a planned start of production date 2 years away? Go put nothing down on a Bolt and let us know the lead time. Or put nothing down on the hundreds of 'announced' EVs due in 2020-2025.

For free? I don't go down to my local Ford dealership, give them $3,500 and say hey in a year from now hopefully you can make the car that I'm giving you this deposit for. And if not, no worries it's nonrefundable so just keep my money.
Correct, Ford doesnt have a BEV planned for release in 2019

Last edited by a moderator:
The following email was sent to Tesla employees today:

Earlier today, I announced that I’m considering taking Tesla private at a price of $420/share. I wanted to let you know my rationale for this, and why I think this is the best path forward.

First, a final decision has not yet been made, but the reason for doing this is all about creating the environment for Tesla to operate best. As a public company, we are subject to wild swings in our stock price that can be a major distraction for everyone working at Tesla, all of whom are shareholders. Being public also subjects us to the quarterly earnings cycle that puts enormous pressure on Tesla to make decisions that may be right for a given quarter, but not necessarily right for the long-term. Finally, as the most shorted stock in the history of the stock market, being public means that there are large numbers of people who have the incentive to attack the company.

I fundamentally believe that we are at our best when everyone is focused on executing, when we can remain focused on our long-term mission, and when there are not perverse incentives for people to try to harm what we’re all trying to achieve.

This is especially true for a company like Tesla that has a long-term, forward-looking mission. SpaceX is a perfect example: it is far more operationally efficient, and that is largely due to the fact that it is privately held. This is not to say that it will make sense for Tesla to be private over the long-term. In the future, once Tesla enters a phase of slower, more predictable growth, it will likely make sense to return to the public markets.

Here’s what I envision being private would mean for all shareholders, including all of our employees.

First, I would like to structure this so that all shareholders have a choice. Either they can stay investors in a private Tesla or they can be bought out at $420 per share, which is a 20% premium over the stock price following our Q2 earnings call (which had already increased by 16%). My hope is for all shareholders to remain, but if they prefer to be bought out, then this would enable that to happen at a nice premium.

Second, my intention is for all Tesla employees to remain shareholders of the company, just as is the case at SpaceX. If we were to go private, employees would still be able to periodically sell their shares and exercise their options. This would enable you to still share in the growing value of the company that you have all worked so hard to build over time.

Third, the intention is not to merge SpaceX and Tesla. They would continue to have separate ownership and governance structures. However, the structure envisioned for Tesla is similar in many ways to the SpaceX structure: external shareholders and employee shareholders have an opportunity to sell or buy approximately every six months.

Finally, this has nothing to do with accumulating control for myself. I own about 20% of the company now, and I don’t envision that being substantially different after any deal is completed.

Basically, I’m trying to accomplish an outcome where Tesla can operate at its best, free from as much distraction and short-term thinking as possible, and where there is as little change for all of our investors, including all of our employees, as possible.

This proposal to go private would ultimately be finalized through a vote of our shareholders. If the process ends the way I expect it will, a private Tesla would ultimately be an enormous opportunity for all of us. Either way, the future is very bright and we’ll keep fighting to achieve our mission.

Thanks,
Elon

The following email was sent to Tesla employees today:

Earlier today, I announced that I’m considering taking Tesla private at a price of $420/share. I wanted to let you know my rationale for this, and why I think this is the best path forward.

First, a final decision has not yet been made, but the reason for doing this is all about creating the environment for Tesla to operate best. As a public company, we are subject to wild swings in our stock price that can be a major distraction for everyone working at Tesla, all of whom are shareholders. Being public also subjects us to the quarterly earnings cycle that puts enormous pressure on Tesla to make decisions that may be right for a given quarter, but not necessarily right for the long-term. Finally, as the most shorted stock in the history of the stock market, being public means that there are large numbers of people who have the incentive to attack the company.

I fundamentally believe that we are at our best when everyone is focused on executing, when we can remain focused on our long-term mission, and when there are not perverse incentives for people to try to harm what we’re all trying to achieve.

This is especially true for a company like Tesla that has a long-term, forward-looking mission. SpaceX is a perfect example: it is far more operationally efficient, and that is largely due to the fact that it is privately held. This is not to say that it will make sense for Tesla to be private over the long-term. In the future, once Tesla enters a phase of slower, more predictable growth, it will likely make sense to return to the public markets.

Here’s what I envision being private would mean for all shareholders, including all of our employees.

First, I would like to structure this so that all shareholders have a choice. Either they can stay investors in a private Tesla or they can be bought out at $420 per share, which is a 20% premium over the stock price following our Q2 earnings call (which had already increased by 16%). My hope is for all shareholders to remain, but if they prefer to be bought out, then this would enable that to happen at a nice premium.

Second, my intention is for all Tesla employees to remain shareholders of the company, just as is the case at SpaceX. If we were to go private, employees would still be able to periodically sell their shares and exercise their options. This would enable you to still share in the growing value of the company that you have all worked so hard to build over time.

Third, the intention is not to merge SpaceX and Tesla. They would continue to have separate ownership and governance structures. However, the structure envisioned for Tesla is similar in many ways to the SpaceX structure: external shareholders and employee shareholders have an opportunity to sell or buy approximately every six months.

Finally, this has nothing to do with accumulating control for myself. I own about 20% of the company now, and I don’t envision that being substantially different after any deal is completed.

Basically, I’m trying to accomplish an outcome where Tesla can operate at its best, free from as much distraction and short-term thinking as possible, and where there is as little change for all of our investors, including all of our employees, as possible.

This proposal to go private would ultimately be finalized through a vote of our shareholders. If the process ends the way I expect it will, a private Tesla would ultimately be an enormous opportunity for all of us. Either way, the future is very bright and we’ll keep fighting to achieve our mission.

Thanks,
Elon
Interesting price he's choosing...

Interesting price he's choosing...
Market cap at that price is about $70B.  If even 80% of the stockholders opt to hang on to the stock, Tesla would still have to come up with close to $30B to privatize.  So where is the money going to come from?

Market cap at that price is about $70B.  If even 80% of the stockholders opt to hang on to the stock, Tesla would still have to come up with close to $30B to privatize.  So where is the money going to come from?
They are going to convert the shares.  Or something.  

They are going to convert the shares.  Or something.  
I hope he does it just so we can watch how such a thing might be accomplished.

This could also just be a ploy to screw the shorters out there I guess.  TSLA was up 11% today on this news.

Picked up my Model 3 last week and love it so far.

I've read on the tesla motor club forums that you should put some coating on the car and only hand wash it. Is this true? Anyone know?
Congrats! What color did you get?

There are lots of TMC threads on the paint quality, especially the softness. Theorized it may be due to the CA air quality rules and formulation of water based paint. But whatever the cause, Telsa Model S & X thickness of the paint was less than industry standards. Seeing tons of M3 threads with similar complaints.

Most S/X owners - well IDK about most, but def quite a few - take their car immediately to a detailer and have them apply OptiCoat Pro. Or apply a clear wrap. Kind of absurd to spend to spend 100K-150K on a car, waited 45-60 days for delivery, and immediately fork over a few grand more and wait another 5-6 days. But I have never heard anyone say they regretted it because both are great at protecting the OEM paint from swirls caused by washing. I have seen 2012/2013 MS with close to 100K and they look like they're brand new because it had OptiCoat Pro from the jump.

With respect to how to wash, nothing beats the two-bucket Optimum No Rinse system. Look up ONR on LikeTesla or PeachStateDetailing on YouTube, good videos on using ONR on a Tesla. Plus you can use ONR on practically any surface.

If you go for the OptCoat or a wrap - not cheap options - you'll never have to wax it.

Curious what your home charging setup is? NEMA 14-50 50A? Pretty awesome waking up to a full tank 365, at a fraction of what you used to spend on gas.

BobbyLayne said:
Congrats! What color did you get?

There are lots of TMC threads on the paint quality, especially the softness. Theorized it may be due to the CA air quality rules and formulation of water based paint. But whatever the cause, Telsa Model S & X thickness of the paint was less than industry standards. Seeing tons of M3 threads with similar complaints.

Most S/X owners - well IDK about most, but def quite a few - take their car immediately to a detailer and have them apply OptiCoat Pro. Or apply a clear wrap. Kind of absurd to spend to spend 100K-150K on a car, waited 45-60 days for delivery, and immediately fork over a few grand more and wait another 5-6 days. But I have never heard anyone say they regretted it because both are great at protecting the OEM paint from swirls caused by washing. I have seen 2012/2013 MS with close to 100K and they look like they're brand new because it had OptiCoat Pro from the jump.

With respect to how to wash, nothing beats the two-bucket Optimum No Rinse system. Look up ONR on LikeTesla or PeachStateDetailing on YouTube, good videos on using ONR on a Tesla. Plus you can use ONR on practically any surface.

If you go for the OptCoat or a wrap - not cheap options - you'll never have to wax it.

Curious what your home charging setup is? NEMA 14-50 50A? Pretty awesome waking up to a full tank 365, at a fraction of what you used to spend on gas.
Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it. I've looked into some coatings to get some prices.

I got a blue one. Like I said, I love it so far. When I first picked it up, I asked the guy at the showroom, "How do I turn it off?" He said, "You don't." So weird to just get up and walk away - but its awesome. 

At home, I installed a 240v outlet. So a full charge takes about 8 hours. My commute is only about 3 miles, so I don't think I will have to charge that often. Did it for the first time last night.

Just saw the announcement of the Audi e-tron.  At $75k,  the Tesla seems like the better option. 

Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate it. I've looked into some coatings to get some prices.

I got a blue one. Like I said, I love it so far. When I first picked it up, I asked the guy at the showroom, "How do I turn it off?" He said, "You don't." So weird to just get up and walk away - but its awesome. 

At home, I installed a 240v outlet. So a full charge takes about 8 hours. My commute is only about 3 miles, so I don't think I will have to charge that often. Did it for the first time last night.
You have the standard battery? IIRC the onboard charger is 32amps so you should be getting around 30-33 miles per hour of charging. That 240V is probably on a 50A circuit, meaning you can charge at 80% or 40A - but you won’t see speeds that high unless you have the long range battery.

I’m sure know this, but try not to let it drop below 20%, and charge to 90% unless you’re getting ready for a road trip. If you keep it between 20-90 and only home charge you will see very little battery degradation.

Just saw the announcement of the Audi e-tron.  At $75k,  the Tesla seems like the better option. 
I'd think the Audi e-tron competitor would be the Model X, not the 3.  Until we get more performance stats from Audi, it seems like it will be difficult to judge.

Users who are viewing this thread