What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (5 Viewers)

Tesla co-founder Elon Musk is up to still more new tricks. No details yet, design release scheduled for Aug. 12. Speculation is that it might be a combination of maglev and pneumatic tube transport.
If I could just go long Musk, I would. Instead, I'm left with just buying TSLA stock.
I'm on board. The stock should suffice for now.
Wish I would've been smart enough to buy more yesterday after that stupid Goldman report came out crushing it's value. Oh well, I guess I should rant about that in the stock thread.

Tesla co-founder Elon Musk is up to still more new tricks. No details yet, design release scheduled for Aug. 12. Speculation is that it might be a combination of maglev and pneumatic tube transport.
Yup. Basically eliminating all friction so you can accellerate to ridiculous speeds. NYC to LA in under an hour.

That said, what happens if something goes wrong at 3,000 MPH?
um, you probably die
But the outcome is probably the same whether you're going 3,000 MPH on the ground or 30,000 feet high.

This wouldn't compete for the traveler of current rail systems, it would compete for the air traveler. And if there's no statistical difference safety-wise and only moderate price diffences, it might be a good alternative.

I travel coast-to-coast all the time. Plop me in DC after an hour? Yes please.

Yup. Basically eliminating all friction so you can accellerate to ridiculous speeds. NYC to LA in under an hour.

um, you probably die
But the outcome is probably the same whether you're going 3,000 MPH on the ground or 30,000 feet high.

This wouldn't compete for the traveler of current rail systems, it would compete for the air traveler. And if there's no statistical difference safety-wise and only moderate price diffences, it might be a good alternative.

I travel coast-to-coast all the time. Plop me in DC after an hour? Yes please.
Yup, the airlines would fight this with all their might. Couldn't even imagine what it would be like to travel from my home state of NJ to say San Fran in less time than it takes me to go to drive to the beach. Not even sure about the moderate price diff. The yahoo article that was in another thread had a trip like that being estimated at $100.

Yeah, I've seen lots of safety concerns raised in comments at various articles about this, which is all kinda speculative since we don't know exactly what kind of system he's proposing yet. Still, whatever disasters we can dream up, he's gonna have to have an answer for all of them.

Interesting times and he's one of the people making them so.
Not very different from when commercial air travel first began.

Good to see deliveries up. Revenue for the quarter appeared to be down - not sure when they are booking their sales credit.

From the Q2 release - LINK

Q2 non-GAAP net income was $26 million, or $0.20 per share. This excludes lease accounting, certain non-cash items, and one-time charges of $16 million associated with the payoff of our DoE loan nine years early. Including all these items, GAAP net loss was $31 million or $(0.26) per share.
ZEV credit revenue fell to $51 million this quarter from $68 million last quarter
Still have yet to make a profit if they don't sell there CA emissions credits.

Good to see deliveries up. Revenue for the quarter appeared to be down - not sure when they are booking their sales credit.

From the Q2 release -

Still have yet to make a profit if they don't sell there CA emissions credits.
No kidding. Love the car and the potential of EV, but I'm sorry, the stock is a total scam. Outright Enron accounting going on. Tesla is worth more than Porsche and they sell over 100,000 cars a year with huge margins. This is creative financing of a capital intensive business. Looks like the plan is to keep selling stock to finance operations and to keep the stock high they need to be "creative". Not sure when it will happen, but this stock will crater and be a smoldering wreck. Kind of a shame really.

Tesla quietly increases pricing on Model S

It appears that Tesla is making more of their content optional. Consumers are seeing price increases of up to 10% as standard options become additional costs. I've seen base price increases during a model year, but not decontenting and option price increases.

This seems to be going against the grain that Tesla will be dropping the price of its vehicles as production increases.

It appears that Tesla is making more of their content optional. Consumers are seeing price increases of up to 10% as standard options become additional costs. I've seen base price increases during a model year, but not decontenting and option price increases.

This seems to be going against the grain that Tesla will be dropping the price of its vehicles as production increases.
Did you ever get a chance to go check out the local Tesla store (from your earlier post)?

I haven't been to the Scottsdale location yet, but a buddy tells me that he went in and the place was buzzing like a hornet's nest last week. I need to make time for the trip soon.

I haven't been yet. I was up in the bay area last week and drove by the Tesla plant in Fremont. It will probably be September before I make it out to a retail store.

Talking to my customers in San Jose and Sacramento, they see them all the time. Everything they hear is good about the car.

I haven't been yet. I was up in the bay area last week and drove by the Tesla plant in Fremont. It will probably be September before I make it out to a retail store.

Talking to my customers in San Jose and Sacramento, they see them all the time. Everything they hear is good about the car.
There's a store on Santa Monica just off the 405.

Major just sold 100 shares of his 200 lot. Going to take those profits and make a down payment on a Model S for Xmas. Now I'm playing with the houses money on those 100 shares. Major's investment thesis since a youth - Don't get greedy, Take profits, Ride stock out on "free" shares.

There's a store on Santa Monica just off the 405.
The one at Fashion Island is closest to me. I'm a South OC guy.

Major just sold 100 shares of his 200 lot. Going to take those profits and make a down payment on a Model S for Xmas. Now I'm playing with the houses money on those 100 shares. Major's investment thesis since a youth - Don't get greedy, Take profits, Ride stock out on "free" shares.
Congrats! If you do order an S, I'd love to know the timing from order to delivery.

Congrats! If you do order an S, I'd love to know the timing from order to delivery.
:goodposting: Preferably without the 3rd person.

The big margins Tesla wants to achieve ain't gonna happen on cheap cars so it's a weird problem. They give lip service to creating a mass market EV, but the margins on those would be terrible (see Volt and Leaf).

The big margins Tesla wants to achieve ain't gonna happen on cheap cars so it's a weird problem. They give lip service to creating a mass market EV, but the margins on those would be terrible (see Volt and Leaf).
Ford runs a margin just above 10%, GM around 7%. At a 25% margin, there will be so many new entrants into the market that competition will drive margins and pricing down.

Ford runs a margin just above 10%, GM around 7%. At a 25% margin, there will be so many new entrants into the market that competition will drive margins and pricing down.
That is where I see the huge disconnect in the stock and the product. In addition to raising pricing on the high end S to hold margins, they couldn't make the numbers work on the lower end S and discontinued it. It's kind of a catch-22. Elon needs capital and the best thing he can do is to goose the stock price and use it as his ATM. However it can't end well if he's guiding for Porsche like margins and trying to develop a mass market product. I don't see it.

That is where I see the huge disconnect in the stock and the product. In addition to raising pricing on the high end S to hold margins, they couldn't make the numbers work on the lower end S and discontinued it. It's kind of a catch-22. Elon needs capital and the best thing he can do is to goose the stock price and use it as his ATM. However it can't end well if he's guiding for Porsche like margins and trying to develop a mass market product. I don't see it.

One thing going for it is that it is leap years ahead in technology then any other electric car. Can they keep that edge is the big question.

link

TESLA MODEL S ACHIEVES BEST SAFETY RATING OF ANY CAR EVER TESTED

SETS NEW NHTSA VEHICLE SAFETY SCORE RECORD

MONDAY, AUGUST 19, 2013

Palo Alto, CA — Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception. Approximately one percent of all cars tested by the federal government achieve 5 stars across the board. NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars.

Of all vehicles tested, including every major make and model approved for sale in the United States, the Model S set a new record for the lowest likelihood of injury to occupants. While the Model S is a sedan, it also exceeded the safety score of all SUVs and minivans. This score takes into account the probability of injury from front, side, rear and rollover accidents.

The Model S has the advantage in the front of not having a large gasoline engine block, thus creating a much longer crumple zone to absorb a high speed impact. This is fundamentally a force over distance problem – the longer the crumple zone, the more time there is to slow down occupants at g loads that do not cause injuries. Just like jumping into a pool of water from a tall height, it is better to have the pool be deep and not contain rocks. The Model S motor is only about a foot in diameter and is mounted close to the rear axle, and the front section that would normally contain a gasoline engine is used for a second trunk.

For the side pole intrusion test, considered one of the most difficult to pass, the Model S was the only car in the "good" category among the other top one percent of vehicles tested. Compared to the Volvo S60, which is also 5-star rated in all categories, the Model S preserved 63.5 percent of driver residual space vs. 7.8 percent for the Volvo. Tesla achieved this outcome by nesting multiple deep aluminum extrusions in the side rail of the car that absorb the impact energy (a similar approach was used by the Apollo Lunar Lander) and transfer load to the rest of the vehicle. This causes the pole to be either sheared off or to stop the car before the pole hits an occupant.

The rear crash testing was particularly important, given the optional third row children's seat. For this, Tesla factory installs a double bumper if the third row seat is ordered. This was needed in order to protect against a highway speed impact in the rear with no permanently disabling injury to the third row occupants. The third row is already the safest location in the car for frontal or side injuries.

The Model S was also substantially better in rollover risk, with the other top vehicles being approximately 50 percent worse. During testing at an independent facility, the Model S refused to turn over via the normal methods and special means were needed to induce the car to roll. The reason for such a good outcome is that the battery pack is mounted below the floor pan, providing a very low center of gravity, which simultaneously ensures exceptional handling and safety.

Of note, during validation of Model S roof crush protection at an independent commercial facility, the testing machine failed at just above 4 g's. While the exact number is uncertain due to Model S breaking the testing machine, what this means is that at least four additional fully loaded Model S vehicles could be placed on top of an owner's car without the roof caving in. This is achieved primarily through a center (B) pillar reinforcement attached via aerospace grade bolts.

The above results do not tell the full story. It is possible to game the regulatory testing score to some degree by strengthening a car at the exact locations used by the regulatory testing machines. After verifying through internal testing that the Model S would achieve a NHTSA 5-star rating, Tesla then analyzed the Model S to determine the weakest points in the car and retested at those locations until the car achieved 5 stars no matter how the test equipment was configured.

The Model S lithium-ion battery did not catch fire at any time before, during or after the NHTSA testing. It is worth mentioning that no production Tesla lithium-ion battery has ever caught fire in the Model S or Roadster, despite several high speed impacts. While this is statistically unlikely to remain the case long term, Tesla is unaware of any Model S or Roadster occupant fatalities in any car ever.

The graphic below shows the statistical Relative Risk Score (RSS) of Model S compared with all other vehicles tested against the exceptionally difficult NHTSA 2011 standards. In 2011, the standards were revised upward to make it more difficult to achieve a high safety rating.

link

TESLA MODEL S ACHIEVES BEST SAFETY RATING OF ANY CAR EVER TESTED

SETS NEW NHTSA VEHICLE SAFETY SCORE RECORD

MONDAY, AUGUST 19, 2013

Palo Alto, CA — Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception. Approximately one percent of all cars tested by the federal government achieve 5 stars across the board. NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars.

Of all vehicles tested, including every major make and model approved for sale in the United States, the Model S set a new record for the lowest likelihood of injury to occupants. While the Model S is a sedan, it also exceeded the safety score of all SUVs and minivans. This score takes into account the probability of injury from front, side, rear and rollover accidents.

The Model S has the advantage in the front of not having a large gasoline engine block, thus creating a much longer crumple zone to absorb a high speed impact. This is fundamentally a force over distance problem – the longer the crumple zone, the more time there is to slow down occupants at g loads that do not cause injuries. Just like jumping into a pool of water from a tall height, it is better to have the pool be deep and not contain rocks. The Model S motor is only about a foot in diameter and is mounted close to the rear axle, and the front section that would normally contain a gasoline engine is used for a second trunk.

For the side pole intrusion test, considered one of the most difficult to pass, the Model S was the only car in the "good" category among the other top one percent of vehicles tested. Compared to the Volvo S60, which is also 5-star rated in all categories, the Model S preserved 63.5 percent of driver residual space vs. 7.8 percent for the Volvo. Tesla achieved this outcome by nesting multiple deep aluminum extrusions in the side rail of the car that absorb the impact energy (a similar approach was used by the Apollo Lunar Lander) and transfer load to the rest of the vehicle. This causes the pole to be either sheared off or to stop the car before the pole hits an occupant.

The rear crash testing was particularly important, given the optional third row children's seat. For this, Tesla factory installs a double bumper if the third row seat is ordered. This was needed in order to protect against a highway speed impact in the rear with no permanently disabling injury to the third row occupants. The third row is already the safest location in the car for frontal or side injuries.

The Model S was also substantially better in rollover risk, with the other top vehicles being approximately 50 percent worse. During testing at an independent facility, the Model S refused to turn over via the normal methods and special means were needed to induce the car to roll. The reason for such a good outcome is that the battery pack is mounted below the floor pan, providing a very low center of gravity, which simultaneously ensures exceptional handling and safety.

Of note, during validation of Model S roof crush protection at an independent commercial facility, the testing machine failed at just above 4 g's. While the exact number is uncertain due to Model S breaking the testing machine, what this means is that at least four additional fully loaded Model S vehicles could be placed on top of an owner's car without the roof caving in. This is achieved primarily through a center (B) pillar reinforcement attached via aerospace grade bolts.

The above results do not tell the full story. It is possible to game the regulatory testing score to some degree by strengthening a car at the exact locations used by the regulatory testing machines. After verifying through internal testing that the Model S would achieve a NHTSA 5-star rating, Tesla then analyzed the Model S to determine the weakest points in the car and retested at those locations until the car achieved 5 stars no matter how the test equipment was configured.

The Model S lithium-ion battery did not catch fire at any time before, during or after the NHTSA testing. It is worth mentioning that no production Tesla lithium-ion battery has ever caught fire in the Model S or Roadster, despite several high speed impacts. While this is statistically unlikely to remain the case long term, Tesla is unaware of any Model S or Roadster occupant fatalities in any car ever.

The graphic below shows the statistical Relative Risk Score (RSS) of Model S compared with all other vehicles tested against the exceptionally difficult NHTSA 2011 standards. In 2011, the standards were revised upward to make it more difficult to achieve a high safety rating.
NHTSA rebukes Tesla claim. Where did Tesla get this info? They appear to be full of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing a few each week. Every model looks good.
Very popular here in CA.

In the first half of 2013, Tesla captured 0.6 percent of the total light-duty vehicle market in the state—more than Buick, Fiat, Land Rover, Lincoln, or Mitsubishi. And looking only at June, the latest month for which figures are available, Tesla also topped Cadillac, Chrysler, and Porsche. That’s especially impressive when you consider that those brands are selling multiple different cars, whereas the Model S is the only Tesla vehicle in production.

I'm seeing a few each week. Every model looks good.
Very popular here in CA.

In the first half of 2013, Tesla captured 0.6 percent of the total light-duty vehicle market in the state—more than Buick, Fiat, Land Rover, Lincoln, or Mitsubishi. And looking only at June, the latest month for which figures are available, Tesla also topped Cadillac, Chrysler, and Porsche. That’s especially impressive when you consider that those brands are selling multiple different cars, whereas the Model S is the only Tesla vehicle in production.
Looks like almost half of Model S sales occurred in California. I am surprised that they outsold Chrysler in June.

Their performance is really pretty impressive.

Check out this video of how the Model S is made.

The robots are coming to get us. Especially the evil seat installing robot.
Looks like a pretty normal assembly plant to me. :shrug:
the best thing about these cars is they're more like computers for maintenance issues so they'll send some tech guy to get you sorted instead of some shady wrecker/mechanic

the best thing about these cars is they're more like computers for maintenance issues so they'll send some tech guy to get you sorted instead of some shady wrecker/mechanic
Who do you send it to when it bursts into flames?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/10/02/tesla-fire-stock-falls-analyst-downgrade/2911345/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/10/02/tesla-fire-stock-falls-analyst-downgrade/2911345/
unless we get to Pinto levels, I don't think one has to worry about an isolated incident

The same place you send a Honda on fire. Cars occasionally burst into flames after accidents, guy.

“The rationale given for the regulation change that requires auto companies to sell through dealers is that it ensures ‘consumer protection’. If you believe this, Gov. Christie has a bridge closure he wants to sell you!” -Elon Musk

The rationale given for the regulation change that requires auto companies to sell through dealers is that it ensures consumer protection. If you believe this, Gov. Christie has a bridge closure he wants to sell you! -Elon Musk
It boggles my mind that Christie is considered a conservative to anyone.

The rationale given for the regulation change that requires auto companies to sell through dealers is that it ensures consumer protection. If you believe this, Gov. Christie has a bridge closure he wants to sell you! -Elon Musk
How many state politicians anywhere would be willing to nuke the dealership system?

How many state politicians anywhere would be willing to nuke the dealership system?
This. Go to any small town America and the guy that owns the Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Honda store is the guy who supports the local football team, keeps the newspaper in business, and sponsors the local 5K run. I hate dealer franchise laws, but I don't see the system going away.

Tesla is still an amazing car and story, but the market cap is still way out of whack. Their technology is not that far in front of the major manufacturers and at some point the buzz of owning a Tesla will fade. The Model S is the Hummer for this decade.

This. Go to any small town America and the guy that owns the Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Honda store is the guy who supports the local football team, keeps the newspaper in business, and sponsors the local 5K run. I hate dealer franchise laws, but I don't see the system going away.
Who was asking anyone to blow up the dealer system?You can sell Teslas in Illinois but I still see dealers everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread