Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

50 minutes ago, PlayaHata said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127243/tesla-model-s-autopilot-disabled-remotely-used-car-update

I was seriously considering buying a used Model S for my next car.  This is not cool at all.

Tesla should have disabled the AP/FSD before the auction or honored the software if it was enabled at the time of auction. I assume the AP/FSD being enabled influenced the price that Tesla got for the car at the auction.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

welp, just got rear ended in my 3.  F-550 hit me so hard I went into the 2 cars in front of me.   I got it all on my dash cam.  I'll figure out how to load that up later and post some pics.  I fi

Just put in my order for a Model 3 LR RWD

Picked up my new Model 3 today. Did not play with any autopilot features, was mostly on back roads and wanted the full experience. One pedal driving is so much fun on roads with lots of curves. So is

22 minutes ago, dhockster said:

Tesla should have disabled the AP/FSD before the auction or honored the software if it was enabled at the time of auction. I assume the AP/FSD being enabled influenced the price that Tesla got for the car at the auction.

This seems like a one off.  Like the car got the upgrade when it shouldn't have at Tesla and then they auctioned it off.  I agree they should honor it if those features were specifically listed in the Tesla auction.  It doesn't sound like they are going to go shutting it off if you sell your Tesla to someone else.

1 hour ago, PlayaHata said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127243/tesla-model-s-autopilot-disabled-remotely-used-car-update

I was seriously considering buying a used Model S for my next car.  This is not cool at all.

Wow—if that’s true—that seems really petty of them to do that. If it was auctioned off as having those features—they should honor them as the second hand dealer that bid on the car—bid on it with the impression that those features were included. He would have bid less had those features not been included.  It’s not like it’s going to cost Tesla much (if anything at all) to honor a mistake that was their own. 

• Like 1

Both the dealer and Tesla would be receiving a letter from my lawyer. I have to think that gets resolved in his favor, be it at the cost of the dealer or Tesla. It is a brave new world in regard to capabilities being pushed out/pulled back, though. And from what I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla makes more than one mistake in that regard. I dotting and T crossing don't seem to be their strongest suits.

There is a good bit of used Model 3 inventory posted this morning on Tesla.  Most times there is nothing.   It happens about once a week then they're all gone in a few hours.  

Looks like some pretty decent options.  I hope this trend keeps up, and it should with the Y rolling out soon.  

Just to note, it looks like the used 3's with FSD get a bump of about $4k from those that don't have it.    Might be something to consider for those that really want it.  No firm evidence to back that up, just what I gleam from the prices.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 2/5/2020 at 9:31 AM, matttyl said:

Any 3 owners have any issues with the low ground clearance?  Looks very low, and the Y doesn't look like it's going to be much higher. 

Rough estimate, but Y appears to have 1 - 1.5" higher clearance.

https://electrek.co/2020/02/18/tesla-model-y-size-comparison-higher-ride-height-easier-entry/

I did a test drive of a 3.  It was very fun to drive, and had the "oh poop" moment hitting the accelerator to get onto the highway.  I am looking forward to seeing how well the Y is made, and that may be my next car.  

ETA:  Or a 2020 vet.

Edited by D-Day
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nugget said:

Think Tesla is going to get hit with some backlash over Elon and his response to the virus.

A friend is an employee.  Elon convinced the local authorities to allow keeping 2k out of 10k folks on production line.

Edited by -jb-
  • 3 weeks later...

Good article below explaining why some people think the Y is a better car than the 3.

Tesla Model Y Deep Dive Reveals A Much Better Engineered Car Than The Model 3

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-y-deep-dive-reveals-a-much-better-engineere-1842698386?utm_source=digg

Edited by MTskibum
On 3/19/2020 at 5:10 PM, -jb- said:

A friend is an employee.  Elon convinced the local authorities to allow keeping 2k out of 10k folks on production line.

Shut down until May now? Think that just happened this week.

• 1 month later...

I still want a Tesla, that's not changed. However, I am beginning to wonder if I'm continuing to telecommute for the foreseeable future, spending $40k+ on a vehicle I'll hardly use may not be the best use of my money. My 10 year old Grand Caravan hardly gets any miles anymore, and I think I could hold onto it another 5 years or more no problem. One thing that WOULD push me to buy a new ride, is if Tesla offered a 2-door ~$25k model like I hear they're developing in China. 

Has anyone heard more about a less expensive/entry level Telsa in the pipeline?

15 minutes ago, Jobber said:

I still want a Tesla, that's not changed. However, I am beginning to wonder if I'm continuing to telecommute for the foreseeable future, spending $40k+ on a vehicle I'll hardly use may not be the best use of my money. My 10 year old Grand Caravan hardly gets any miles anymore, and I think I could hold onto it another 5 years or more no problem. One thing that WOULD push me to buy a new ride, is if Tesla offered a 2-door ~$25k model like I hear they're developing in China. 

Has anyone heard more about a less expensive/entry level Telsa in the pipeline?

I would doubt it, they are going to have all they can handle with the M3 and MY orders, and I would think the profit margin on a 25k model would be almost non-existent.  Plus they need to refresh the S and X models.

1 hour ago, Foosball God said:

I would doubt it, they are going to have all they can handle with the M3 and MY orders, and I would think the profit margin on a 25k model would be almost non-existent.  Plus they need to refresh the S and X models.

Agreed. This is probably on the "eventually" timeline, but I don't see it being released in the US in the next 5 years. They still have Semi, Cybertruck and Roadster that are already announced, that are 2+ years away (maybe 2021 for Semi).

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Price drops on Model S, Model X, and Model 3.  I wonder if it has anything to do with an upcoming battery announcement that would make people be willing to wait, or if it is just to spur slow sales because of Covid.

Hate to break it to the thread, but I bought a Tacoma.   Kids are at an age where a truck makes more sense.  Camping,  kids sports, kayaking,  wife wants a boat, etc...so much easier with a truck.   I was hoping to wait on the Cyber truck, but that thing is too big.  There were rumors early on that the truck would actually be smaller than what was unveiled but those have been debunked.   I doubt its ready in 2021 like they want it to be.  

When they come out with a smaller pick up I'll  be interested again.  Still love all things Tesla though.  

Absolutely loved my 3 when I had it, but couldn't spend the money again.   I waited for the Y, but was underwhelmed by it.  Saved $15kish by getting the Tacoma.  

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, jb1020 said:

Hate to break it to the thread, but I bought a Tacoma.   Kids are at an age where a truck makes more sense.  Camping,  kids sports, kayaking,  wife wants a boat, etc...so much easier with a truck.   I was hoping to wait on the Cyber truck, but that thing is too big.  There were rumors early on that the truck would actually be smaller than what was unveiled but those have been debunked.   I doubt its ready in 2021 like they want it to be.  

When they come out with a smaller pick up I'll  be interested again.  Still love all things Tesla though.  

Absolutely loved my 3 when I had it, but couldn't spend the money again.   I waited for the Y, but was underwhelmed by it.  Saved $15kish by getting the Tacoma.  

Elon was on Jay Leno’s garage last week and he said that they were going to shrink every component down on the cybertruck by 5%—which would make it small enough to fit in the average garage.  I’m not sure where you heard that the rumors were de-bunked unless the episode was taped a long time ago.  

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/elon-musk-leno-drive-cybertruck-boring-company-tunnel/

go to about the two minute and five second mark on the video

Edited by jvdesigns2002
Added the link
5 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Elon was on Jay Leno’s garage last week and he said that they were going to shrink every component down on the cybertruck by 5%—which would make it small enough to fit in the average garage.  I’m not sure where you heard that the rumors were de-bunked unless the episode was taped a long time ago.  

This article seems to conflict.  I had a full size truck (tundra) in the past and I couldn't stand it.   Theres no way the CT will be smaller than a tundra any way.  

That obviously wasn't the only factor in making my purchase.  

• Thanks 1
On 5/15/2020 at 11:36 AM, Foosball God said:

Problem with doing refresh without a dealer network is that it increases the spare part complexity issue.

• 1 month later...

Anyone had any issues with their cars not staying connected to their home WiFi?

No issues until last few days and it has disconnected every night and not reconnected until I manually select my network and then renter password. 

Nothing else in my house has had issues.

13 hours ago, The General said:

No issues until last few days and it has disconnected every night and not reconnected until I manually select my network and then renter password. 

I never had that issue.  I bet its an easily fixable bug.  

Just sold some of my old Tesla accessories on ebay...holy crap, I had no idea what some of that was worth.   The mobile charging cord that came with the car went for like $260.  When I bought my 3,  it was towards the end of a quarter and they were really pushing sales.  I had opted to have a home delivery and would have to wait a week or two.  A rep called me on like March 28th and said if I could drive to Nashville and pick up the car by March 31st they would send me a wall connector and they would even provide me with a one way rental car.  I ended up going, but never even opened the wall connector.  

Sold it for a little over $500.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, The General said:

Have you tried turning your car off and on again?

• Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1

Ok so I just paid about $1100 fixing my 2010 Grand Caravan. And have in hand an estimate for about $2000 more expected repairs as well. So I got that going for me.

I will be getting a Tesla, but wanted to check with you guys first as I have a question on the Federal credit. I know it's expired/gone. However, I hear the Democrats have a bill out there (sitting in a pile on someone's desk) to revive the 7500 credit. Assuming they get control, and pass this thing in 2021, is there a chance for someone who buys a Tesla this year can get in on that credit? Or do I roll the dice and hope my car lasts until early/mid 2021 in hopes of taking advantage? Basically I am wondering if it's somewhat retroactive.

TIA

2 hours ago, Jobber said:

Ok so I just paid about $1100 fixing my 2010 Grand Caravan. And have in hand an estimate for about $2000 more expected repairs as well. So I got that going for me.

I will be getting a Tesla, but wanted to check with you guys first as I have a question on the Federal credit. I know it's expired/gone. However, I hear the Democrats have a bill out there (sitting in a pile on someone's desk) to revive the 7500 credit. Assuming they get control, and pass this thing in 2021, is there a chance for someone who buys a Tesla this year can get in on that credit? Or do I roll the dice and hope my car lasts until early/mid 2021 in hopes of taking advantage? Basically I am wondering if it's somewhat retroactive.

TIA

I would guess it would not be.  Once you pay your taxes for this year I don't think they'd retro a rebate.  I also wouldn't necessarily bank on Democrats passing a new tax credit, the existing one is still out there for manufacturers that haven't sold the requisite number of EVs.  If they passed something like this I could see it as the gov favoring Tesla over other manufacturers.

1 hour ago, Foosball God said:

I would guess it would not be.  Once you pay your taxes for this year I don't think they'd retro a rebate.  I also wouldn't necessarily bank on Democrats passing a new tax credit, the existing one is still out there for manufacturers that haven't sold the requisite number of EVs.  If they passed something like this I could see it as the gov favoring Tesla over other manufacturers.

GM's credit has phased out (or is almost out), too. So some kind of modification could pass to put US companies on even footing with foreign companies.

I also doubt it would be retroactive.

Got the car out on the road today and had forgotten it’s fun to drive.

They have been doing road work all over the place and drove a long stretch of new blacktop and was like I was in silent mode. Zero sound anywhere.

Another stretch where I was in an area where you can see for about maybe a mile or so. No cars anywhere was doing about 75, barely mashed the pedal and suddenly at 100 with zero effort.

Musk, you are a crazy dude but you have built a great machine here.

• Like 2

So pretty much narrowed it down to getting a Tesla by the end of the year.  The only reason I don’t now is because of Covid I’m pretty much on lockdown at home and not driving much so no real need at the moment.  It’s either going to be a 3 or a Y,  dual motor non-performance.  Which one should I get?  Married with 1 5yr old. 

3 hours ago, dkp993 said:

So pretty much narrowed it down to getting a Tesla by the end of the year.  The only reason I don’t now is because of Covid I’m pretty much on lockdown at home and not driving much so no real need at the moment.  It’s either going to be a 3 or a Y,  dual motor non-performance.  Which one should I get?  Married with 1 5yr old. 

Just got to go drive em. They have very easy test drive set up. Go in on like a Tuesday morn and they just give you the card to drive them.

The 3 is a little low to the ground so maybe not the best for family life. There is a ton of room and storage in it tho for a Sedan.

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just don't drive the performance if you know you're not buying it. 

I’ve rented an insane Model S (pre-ludicrous, the P85D) and a “run of the mill” Model X (back when 90kWh was the biggest battery.) IIRC those were 3.2 and 4.8 0-60. With the latter I was in Newport for an extended weekend, and every. Single. Time. I had the pole position at a stoplight, the guy next to me started revving it up to challenge me to race 0-35 to the next light. They unequivocally knew their Boxster / 5-series / TT was about to get curb stomped. They just had to know how badly they would get beat.

That was a non-P Model X, roughly what the regular ole dual motors do now. Was fast enough to beat anything off the line. But the P Model S? That would bounce MY noggin’ off the headrest, because no matter how many times I punched it, I was never fully prepared for just how quick it would be.

Def only test drive non-P. You’ll think it’s the greatest thing ever and save yourself a boatload of $$.

20 hours ago, Jobber said:

TIA

Mustang Mach E gets the full $7500 credit

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

I’ve rented an insane Model S (pre-ludicrous, the P85D) and a “run of the mill” Model X (back when 90kWh was the biggest battery.) IIRC those were 3.2 and 4.8 0-60. With the latter I was in Newport for an extended weekend, and every. Single. Time. I had the pole position at a stoplight, the guy next to me started revving it up to challenge me to race 0-35 to the next light. They unequivocally knew their Boxster / 5-series / TT was about to get curb stomped. They just had to know how badly they would get beat.

That was a non-P Model X, roughly what the regular ole dual motors do now. Was fast enough to beat anything off the line. But the P Model S? That would bounce MY noggin’ off the headrest, because no matter how many times I punched it, I was never fully prepared for just how quick it would be.

Def only test drive non-P. You’ll think it’s the greatest thing ever and save yourself a boatload of $$.

Yep. We have a Model 3 Performance and it happens quite a bit at stop lights. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, -jb- said:

Yep. We have a Model 3 Performance and it happens quite a bit at stop lights. 

I just look over, make revving sounds like a 10 year old with a match box car, and then watch em leave. Cause #### em.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Cause #### em.

Also, incidentally, likely to be the inscription on my headstone. 

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Wine
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, The General said:

Just got to go drive em. They have very easy test drive set up. Go in on like a Tuesday morn and they just give you the card to drive them.

The 3 is a little low to the ground so maybe not the best for family life. There is a ton of room and storage in it tho for a Sedan.

Thanks. I’ve driven a 3 dual motor and I’ve driven an S 85D. Just never driven a Y.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my first issue with the Model 3. 

Drove home in a huge rainstorm and noticed the next day the tail light had water in it and condensation. I use the app to schedule the maintenance, explaining the issue. They contact me today and the response was that it is common to have condensation in a light.

:lol: what? Maybe in a 95 Accord it is. 

I had read about the production quality being a bit off (trim not aligning properly) and that is the issue here the light housing with the issue is not sealed tightly. 

I let the person know there is water in there and they are going to come fix it but we’ll see how this goes.

Some observations:

Drove a S and a Y

I'm looking at either new Y or a used S that is in the price range of a new Y.

Had previously driven a 90D from 2014 timeframe and a P100D that was a loaner from the 90D.  The P100D was hands down the most wild ### car ride I've ever been in.  I've actually had a couple ubers that took me around in S and a few 3s.  

Model S I drove was not a performance model, but dual motor and drove great, felt like any luxury sedan I've been in.  The only ones I'd been in before was before the 2017 refresh of the interior so I was impressed they fixed some of the funky things in the early models.  Super quick, got to demo auto pilot and was impressed, but the FSD was a little hesitant I thought.

The Y was one of the early ones they put the performance gear on with the LR interior.  So it was a little snappy.  I think they had the max battery mode on as the car really pulled a lot in one pedal driving, trying to get as much regen as possible, which made it feel a little more like a Prius than a Porsche.  The autopilot on the Y was much more capable in the time I used it over the S.  It had much less hesitation and seemed to glide in and out of lanes easily.  Both were set on the 2nd of 4 settings (top being mad max).  

I was prepared to be freaked out about the rear-view being swallowed up, but I found the mirror to be sufficient even without using the camera.  Still feel like they need to add a rear camera/nav split screen.

I think it's going to come down to whether I can find a S in the spend range I am looking at in the next few weeks/months.  I honestly prefer the S, the wife preferred the Y but the reasons she cites would likely have us in a 3.