What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guys Ready to Make "the Leap" (1 Viewer)

RedmondLonghorn

Footballguy
Compared to a lot you who post here I am probably a total amateur. But I have been playing fantasy football since the dark ages (looking through the newspaper with a legal pad for stats) and am in a stable 10-team league that only has a couple of total idiots.

Anyway, I am looking for some ideas from the assembled brain trust for players that are about ready to make "the Leap" from okay to outstanding. I guess you could call these semi-sleepers. They could either be young guys coming into their own, vets now in a better situation, or even comeback players who have visited the juvenation machine.

Basically, I am looking for some later round picks with big upside, but not total shot in the dark sleepers. I usually find that the waiver wire is the best place to get those guys.

A couple words on your basic thesis behind your prediction would also be cool.

My ideas are as follows, though I haven't studied them extensively (yet):

Matt Jones - Physical freak in his second year playing a new position. Difficult matchup for any defender. Absence of other great targets in Jacksonville.

Frank Gore - This one is obvious and seemingly trendy. SF doesn't face too many tough defenses either.

Eric Moulds - Not saying he will be awesome. But possibly better than expected. Houston hasn't had a decent #2 receiver...ever. And Andre Johnson will still draw the opponent's elite cover corner.

my sleepers are

QB- Rothlisberger and Brooks

RB- Barlow, Rhodes

WR- Burleson

TE- Ben Troupe, Heath Miller

those are just guys I like and think they have either sneaky consistency or not name brand recognition. Guys like this have opportunity, play on good teams and go in later rounds where you find the value.

other than that, I always exhaustively scour the waiver wire, team news, injury reports and immerse myself in NFL talk the first 4 weeks of every season. Some names I've got off waivers the last 4-6 years: Kurt Warner, Aaron Brooks, Dominic Rhodes, Priest Holmes, Jake Plummer, Steve Smith, and Darrel Jackson

I agree with Jones, though he has become trendy and is not always a good value. If you can get him as the #25 or higher WR off the board I consider that a risk worth taking. He is the white Randy Moss.

Hey Redmond.

I like Brandon Lloyd's chances of outperforming his ADP. He is currently something like the 60th WR off the board, and with Moss drawing coverages on the other side, I think he could make some noise.

Two words of caution:

1) Tough schedule

2) If Brunell stinks it up, the QBs behind him could also struggle

There's the old cliche that production is just a function of talent and opportunity. While there's usually a bit more than that, I like to base my sleepers on those two points. Also, the majority of these players are going to be veterans who have been given short shrift recently. The reason I gravitate towards vets is that they are PROVEN, and their upside is almost always underrated. People go after the flashier picks, the sexier picks. Drafters like guys with good measureables, or who were big news recently. As a result, a lot of veterans who are very clearly poised for fantastic seasons fall through the cracks.

QB-

Jake Plummer- Usually, when it comes to QBs, you have three main tiers. There's the "elite" tier, which is one or two (or occassional 3) QBs who are the unquestioned, indisputable studs. Peyton Manning is always in this tier. Culpepper and McNabb used to be in this tier before they got injured, and Palmer would be there if not for the injury, too. The next tier is the very solid QBs without a lot of questions surrounding them. This year, that would be the "Brady/Hasselbeck" tier (some people, including me, put McNabb here, too). After that, you have a massive third tier (usually around 10 QBs) where the difference between the top guy and the bottom guy is really inconsequential. As a result, the best value usually lies right at the end of that third tier. This year, Plummer seems to be one of two or three QBs who lives at the end of the third tier (along with Brooks and Trent Green). In my opinion, that's absolute lunacy. Plummer was the #5 fantasy QB two years ago, and was the #11 fantasy QB last year... and between the loss of Anderson and the addition of Walker (and possibly Scheffler and Marshall), Plummer's situation has SIGNIFICANTLY and DEMONSTRABLY improved. In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason he should be going as low as he's going. I have him ranked in my top 6 QBs this season, and he can usually be had as the 12th QB off the board.

RB-

Thomas Jones- Thomas Jones is every bit as talented as he was last season. Chicago's offense will afford Thomas Jones every bit as much opportunity this year as it did last year. Cedric Benson pretty much hasn't practiced all preseason, and hasn't gotten a single preseason carry. Thomas Jones was the #9 RB in the NFL last year. Thomas Jones is being drafted as the 27th RB off the board, a mere THREE SLOTS ahead of Benson. If you're really concerned about the situation, burn a pair of picks to grab both backs on the turn. Otherwise, grab Jones and laugh your way to the bank.

WR-

Lee Evans- He has already proven, in my mind, that he's a great talent. He had the best rookie season of anyone not named Moss, Boldin, or Clayton, and he followed that up with a very solid second season, all things considered. He's now the unquestioned #1 in an offense that is decidedly short on receiving threats. I think he's currently rated several tiers too low, and while I'm not expecting it, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him finish the season in the top 10 (sort of like Javon Walker his third season).

TE-

Jermaine Wiggins- Pop quiz: Who was Minnesota's leading receiver last year? Who was Minnesota's leading receiver the year before? The answer to both questions is Jermain Wiggins. Two years ago he was the #7 fantasy TE in the league. Last year, he fell to 17th, mostly due to the loss of 3 TDs and a little bit of ypc. Still, TDs are very volatile, while receptions tend to be more stable- and Wiggins gets a lot of receptions. He's now playing on a team that just suffered a big blow to its WR corps with the loss of KRob. He's playing with a QB known more for accuracy than arm strength in Brad Johnson. He's playing for an offensive coordinator famous for coordinating an offense that basically ran without any WRs until TO came to town, instead spreading a lot of receptions out among RBs and TEs. He's super-cheap, he's practically assured of outperforming his draft position, and he's a very sneaky late-round pick with a chance to crack the top 5 this season.

PK-

Jason Elam- Alright, the whole idea of a PK being a sleeper is rather ludicrous, but Jason Elam does NOT get the respect he deserves in fantasy circles. Consider this: Jason Elam has finished in the top 10 for fantasy kickers for 9 straight seasons. To put that into perspective... Vanderjagt and Stover are second, with three straight top-10 seasons. Jeff Reed, Rian Lindell, and Shayne Graham have two straight top-10 finishes. Outside of those 5, no one else has even back-to-back top-10 seasons. Elam's 9-straight top-10 finishes is ABSURD. He's pretty much a mortal lock to finish in the top 10, which should make him the no-brainer first kicker off the board.

Now, odds are that he won't be the #1 overall scorer at PK (he's only finished 1st overall once during that span, although he's been top-3 in 4 of the 9 years, and top-5 in 6 of the 9 years). Still, compare him to some of the other top kicker selections, such as Grammatica in '03 (finished 28th overall), Wilkins in '04 (finished 26th overall), and Vinatieri in '05 (19th overall).

Another underrated point is that Elam kicks in Denver. Everyone likes grabbing kickers in domes, but Denver's actually just as easy to kick in as a dome (if not easier), thanks to the extreme altitude. Denver has had a kicker finish in the top 10 in 14 of the last 16 seasons. Second place over that span goes to Tennessee, with 9 top-10 finishes in the last 16 years. Third place is a tie between Indy, Pitt, and Philly, with 8 such finishes apiece.

It's hard to argue that a kicker is underrated, but if any kicker is, it's Elam. The guy is money in the bank season after season, and yet he's never been drafted higher than 3rd (twice), and is currently the 5th kicker off the board. If 4 PKs have been selected, and there's no one else I am in love with, I will grab Elam without hesitation and not worry about PK for the rest of the season.

Defense-

New England Patriots- Remember a couple of years ago when the Patriots lost some ridiculous number of starting defensive players and still finished as one of the top fantasy defenses in the entire NFL? Apparently no one else does. This defense is going WAAAAY too late, considering it has a track record bested only by Tampa and Baltimore. New England's defense is the D/ST equivalent of the veteran player with a proven track record who everyone has written off after one bad season. They've done a lot more good than bad, and so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Speaking of Tampa Bay, in one of my leagues, they haven't finished the season a single time this millennium as low as they're being drafted on average at the moment. Not a great "sleeper" because you'll still have to pay for them, but seriously undervalued.

God now that I think about it... you're right about Plummer being set up for a breakout.

I really wish I hadn't passed on him and taken Brees later. Might have been a big mistake.

Why didn't you post this a week ago?

I don't really agree with the other ones though. I think we see a time-share in Chicago because Benson is a talented runner making a lot of money and is no longer a rookie. He should be back pretty soon. Lee Evans is excellent but inconsistent with Losman at the helm, and there is no way Wiggins comes close to top five, not with such TE's as Witten, Cooley, LJ Smith and Ben Watson in the mix. Wiggins doesn't have a tenth of the talent those players do.

Last edited by a moderator:
QB: Big Ben-- I think Pitt is going to let him throw more this year and without bettis; i expect more passing in the red zone

RB: f.gore-- all alone in SF; now 3years removed frominjury

WR: driver-- GB is terrible and farve will be putting the ballup 40+ game

TE : watson-- a developed v.davis with a great Qb; I have been reading NE is going to run more and set-up playaction for watson who has been on the field 90% of the time.

I'd definitely say that M. Jones has the potential/surroundings to make a leap.

I also like Troupe a lot. He's being drafted about 14-15th TE/undrafted in the drafts I've been involved with and he has the potential on that awful offense to be the main guy.

If Alex Smith can get it together, keep an eye on Antonio Bryant, speaking of opportunity.

Also, I think Amani Toomer could actually rebound from a terrible fantasy stretch. With Eli emerging, and Burress getting more and more attention, Toomer could have a surprisingly good year.

If Alex Smith can get it together, keep an eye on Antonio Bryant, speaking of opportunity.

Also, I think Amani Toomer could actually rebound from a terrible fantasy stretch. With Eli emerging, and Burress getting more and more attention, Toomer could have a surprisingly good year.
I've also read that Toomer and Eli have a much better rapport what with Burress throwing him under the bus. I have also read though that Tim Carter is expected to see much more action if he stays healthy.

Fast Willie Parker - He showed what he could do in a limited role last year, has low mileage on the wheels, and is in an offense that relies heavily on the ground game. He could be next year's Larry Johnson

Eli Manning - 3rd year qb who is just starting to grasp the nuances of the pro-style offense. Great supporting cast in Tiki, Plaxico, Amani, and Shockey. Solid, if not spectacular, offensive line. Despite the tough schedule, he could become this year's Carson Palmer

Tod Heap - All a matter of injuries, but the step up from Boller to McNair will be huge. Solid deep threat could challenge Gates for supremacy at that position if he can avoid injury.

QB: Big Ben-- I think Pitt is going to let him throw more this year and without bettis; i expect more passing in the red zone

WR: driver-- GB is terrible and farve will be putting the ballup 40+ game ...and throwing to the WR2 as Driver is being double and triple covered every freaking play.

TE : watson-- a developed v.davis with a great Qb; I have been reading NE is going to run more and set-up playaction for watson who has been on the field 90% of the time.
Fixed.I like the rest of the list, I just don't think Driver will fair well unless A.Green can stay healthy (i.e. draw some respect from opposing safeties) AND his WR2 can play respectably enough to draw at least a glance now and then.

WR: driver-- GB is terrible and farve will be putting the ballup 40+ game

I've now been able to nab Watson after every other team as landed a TE. Not sure why he's so low, but I'll take it.

Here's my sleepers

QB Rivers SD, has a nice cast of supporting players, plus games against Oak(2), Tenn, SF, KC(2), STL, Cleveland, AZ, I like him as a spot starter in these games

RB Not a sleeper any more but Lundy Houston, could have a nice year

Jacobs NYG, Tiki's not getting any younger, and a injury could put this guy in the spot light

WR Not usually a fan of rookie WR's, but Jennings of GB is special, he's been playing with the first team and looks good

Wilson Pitt, if Hines Ward misses any time due to his hammy this guy is the man

Willie Parker...no Bus means more Yards and TD's

Lee Evans....this guy is going to be a steal in drafts

A.Bryant.....another WR who is going to put some good #'s

C.Taylor....even as crappy as he's been in Pre-Season...Vikings keep saying he's gonna be da man

Randy McMichael....Culpepper looks to this dude alot...with Mr Chamber getting doubled all day long...this dude is gonna be legit

Players ready to break out:

QB - Rothlisberger

RB - Deshaun Foster

WR - Lee Evans

TE - Randy McMichael

Players who will have a great turnaround year:

RB - Fred Taylor, Corey Dillion

WR - Joe Horn, Drew Bennett

Players ready to break out:QB - RothlisbergerRB - Deshaun FosterWR - Lee EvansTE - Randy McMichaelPlayers who will have a great turnaround year:RB - Fred Taylor, Corey DillionWR - Joe Horn, Drew Bennett
Not so fast on Dillon...THE NEWSBill Belichick said Tuesday he doesn't have a specific plan for how to divide carries this year between Corey Dillon and Laurence Maroney. "You better have someone else," Belichick told the Boston Herald when asked about using multiple backs. "It's a tough position to play. Those guys take a lot of hits. There's a lot riding on their shoulders depending on how many times they're carrying [the ball]... It might change from week to week. I think all of our backs have shown some skill and some ability to make plays. How all of that works out, we'll just have to see."Our ViewIn three preseason tilts, Dillon has 20 carries and Maroney has 19. Dillon has started each game and done most of the work on their first several series before being spelled by Maroney. Dillon has also gotten the bulk of the short yardage and goal line work as well, which means he's the man you should be using in your starting lineups, at least early in the season until the Patriots' actions show us how the two backs will be utilized. One thing we can be certain of; the tight-lipped Belichick is unlikely to reveal his game plan, even if he does have a preconceived notion of how he's going to split the carries

I'm about to trade Ben Watson even though I love the guys situation and ability.

Sure as hell if every one of us loves this dude, he's gonna turn in 2TDs and 400 yards. Everytime we do this he goes straight to hell. :kicksrock:

QB

Chris Simms - he's improved each year, even though he probably was handed the keys a year early at least, has good talent around him, I think he steps up big time this year

Byron Leftwich - he was on his way last year until he got squished by injury AGAIN. IF he can stay healthy he'll put up great numbers, and if done over a full season it would be a marked step up for him

RB

Hard to find a sleeper here, they're so overanalyzed and picked over

DeShaun Foster - if he can make it through 16 games he'll shine, taking a noticeable step up

Willis McGahee - I think he's been slept on to an extent this year, I think he'll return to being a 1st round pick type of player which would definitely be a step up

WR

Ernest Wilford - it's a gamble, but he was already a mainstay in the red zone, I'm very curious to see what he can do as a full time #2 receiver

Kevin Curtis - he made some noise last year, Bruce is another year older, Holt has a bit of an injury, I think he'll step up this year if Bulger can stay on the field

Mark Clayton - this one is more of a hunch, knowing the rapport McNair had with Mason and the prominence of Heap, but I think those things mean Clayton will be open quite a bit and I think McNair will get him the ball - and I think he's got the talent

TE

Heath Miller - he really stands out to me as the beneficiary of Bettis leaving (I think he'll be even more prominent around the goalline), and also with the advent of Willie Parker full time he should have more space in the middle of the field, he also had a really good year for a rookie tight end to build on

Kellen Winslow Jr. - he's good, really good, Frye isn't that great so a tight end like Winslow will really be an attractive target, it's not hard to step up from nothing, but I think Winslow may be an eye opener t his year

I like the Plummer pub above, as mentioned he was already performing at a high level, so there's only so much more he can step up. I rolled the dice with Vick in many leagues this year (thinking he'll get a nice chunk of the stats that Duckett took to Washington, particularly a few of those rushing TDs), and my friend Jake was there for me to back up every time. It's nice that I can have Vick evaporate and have Plummer as a fall back plan - it may even turn out Plummer just plain out performs Vick anyway, and that's something I'd be very comfortable living with.

Not to be a Vermeil, but I think some of you should go back and read the original post.

RedmondLonghorn said:
I am looking for some ideas from the assembled brain trust for players that are about ready to make "the Leap" from okay to outstanding. I guess you could call these semi-sleepers. Basically, I am looking for some later round picks with big upside.
Then, I see names like McGahee, McMichael, Parker, Driver, Heap and Eli Manning.These guys have already been more than "okay" and they won't be available in the "later rounds."

:2cents:

Why not recommend Tomlinson and Alexander, also?

WRs- Lloyd, Matt Jones, Troy Williamson, Evans, Mike Clayton, Moose

RBs- Benson, Foster until he goes down, Gore, FWP, Lewis (bounces back)

TEs- Watson, Cooley, Troupe, LJ Smith, Miller

Not to be a Vermeil, but I think some of you should go back and read the original post.

RedmondLonghorn said:
I am looking for some ideas from the assembled brain trust for players that are about ready to make "the Leap" from okay to outstanding. I guess you could call these semi-sleepers. Basically, I am looking for some later round picks with big upside.
Then, I see names like McGahee, McMichael, Parker, Driver, Heap and Eli Manning.These guys have already been more than "okay" and they won't be available in the "later rounds."

To defend my McGahee mention - he's a young guy who people still don't have a complete fix on, I've seen him being drafted at the tail end of the second round and I think he can break into the top 12 overall, which would be a big step up from last year. Most guys going in later rounds aren't going to step up to outstanding - they're going to step up to good to pretty good if they're going to step up at all, and there isn't a round limit on where you can find value, and I think if it plays out that way he's a nice value, possibly even outstanding, so I mentioned him.My apologies if that bothers you, I didn't intend to.

QB-Jake Plummer
I think I would disagree a little bit about Plummer. I agree that is he a decent QB, but I don't think he is top 6.If you look at his stats, he had a career year when he was the #5 or so fantasy back. It's by far the best year he has ever had. He hasn't really come close to those types of numbers before or since.All his other years, he was basicallya 3000 yard, 18 TD QB. Which isn't bad at all, just not top 6 type stuff.Adding a potential top WR in Javon Walker will be a bonus, for sure. But Rod Smith isn't getting any younger and they are a little thin after that. Plus, you have to consider Walker a clear injury risk. If he were to go down, I would think that Plummer's stock hits the skids.I just think the guy is a bad decision maker, most of the time. He throws alot of picks, way more then he should. Even that career year, he threw 20 INTs. I'm not a Denver fan by any means, but I have to respect Mike Shannahan and the job he has done. So, I'm figuring that there is a good reason why they moved up in the draft to get Jay Cutler. And it probably isn't because he thinks Plummer is a top flight QB.So, I think he is solid, but I also think he is probably valued correctly at the QB11-13 range.Just my $0.02.

RedmondLonghorn said:

Guess its a matter of semantics. To me, making the leap is jumping into top 5 for QBs and top 10 for RBs. Guess this thread is really looking for sleepers.Big difference in my mind

RedmondLonghorn said:

Guess its a matter of semantics. To me, making the leap is jumping into top 5 for QBs and top 10 for RBs. Guess this thread is really looking for sleepers.Big difference in my mind
I didn't mean to offend you and Gr00vus specifically. The guy was making a general statement that he was looking for "okay players" who would be available in the "later rounds".... and many of the nominations don't come close to meeting that criteria. That's all.Carry on.

RedmondLonghorn said:

I didn't mean to offend you and Gr00vus specifically. The guy was making a general statement that he was looking for "okay players" who would be available in the "later rounds".... and many of the nominations don't come close to meeting that criteria. That's all.Carry on.
No offense taken, I understand the point you're making.

SLEEPERS

QB - Pennington (Not maybe a starter but someon who can get you decent numbers in back up situations.)

RB - McCalister (bushfest will take over your draft and why everyone has a woody for Bush (LOL!!!) you can grab the goalline option... Deuce.)

WR - Sammie Parker (looks solid and the goto WR for the team. But then again they have fooled be before)

TE - Zach Hilton (Yeha I know, teh sexy pick now adays but for good reason)

DoubleG said:

WR: driver-- GB is terrible and farve will be putting the ballup 40+ game ...and throwing to the WR2 as Driver is being double and triple covered every freaking play.

Fixed.I like the rest of the list, I just don't think Driver will fair well unless A.Green can stay healthy (i.e. draw some respect from opposing safeties) AND his WR2 can play respectably enough to draw at least a glance now and then.
Driver was in the same situation last season too. 86-1221-5

I think it is easier to see him finishing at the same level or even with 8-10 TDs than it is to see him finishing below what he did last year.

DoubleG said:

Driver's bread-and-butter route is the quick slant pass.Even if he's double-covered, they'll still hit a good number of those for big yards.

I wouldn't worry too much about his numbers suffering. I'd be more worried about Favre breaking his fingers again. I heard last week that Favre has broken Driver's fingers seven times in his career with the steam Favre puts on his throws. :shock:

QB-

Jake Plummer
I think I would disagree a little bit about Plummer. I agree that is he a decent QB, but I don't think he is top 6.If you look at his stats, he had a career year when he was the #5 or so fantasy back. It's by far the best year he has ever had. He hasn't really come close to those types of numbers before or since.

All his other years, he was basicallya 3000 yard, 18 TD QB. Which isn't bad at all, just not top 6 type stuff.

Adding a potential top WR in Javon Walker will be a bonus, for sure. But Rod Smith isn't getting any younger and they are a little thin after that. Plus, you have to consider Walker a clear injury risk. If he were to go down, I would think that Plummer's stock hits the skids.

I just think the guy is a bad decision maker, most of the time. He throws alot of picks, way more then he should. Even that career year, he threw 20 INTs. I'm not a Denver fan by any means, but I have to respect Mike Shannahan and the job he has done. So, I'm figuring that there is a good reason why they moved up in the draft to get Jay Cutler. And it probably isn't because he thinks Plummer is a top flight QB.

So, I think he is solid, but I also think he is probably valued correctly at the QB11-13 range.

Just my $0.02.
On the contrary. Let's play the pro-rate game here. Pro-rate Plummer's 2003 numbers over a 16-game season, and he would finish as the... 5th ranked QB. That means that, in 3 seasons in Denver, Plummer has finished 5th, 5th, and 11th. You tell me which season was the aberration :) .Plummer's pro-rated 2003 results in 26 combined TDs. In 2004, he had 28 combined TDs. In 2005, Plummer had 20 combined TDs as Denver's rushing game reached new heights. Denver's 25 rushing TDs last season were the most in a single year since Terrell Davis destroyed the league in 1998. With a brand new shiny red-zone threat in Walker who had 9 TDs on just 41 grabs in 2003, as well as potentially the first receiving TE that'll be used in the red zone since Sharpe left in Scheffler, look for Plummer's passing TDs to spike back up again.

QB sleeper - JP Loseman

He's got it together with Chambers. They're not a good ball club and will pass from behind. He also runs and has a year to learn. As sleeper a QB as any can get.

RB - Reuben Droughns. Yes, not a sleeper, but he's going to get 325 + touches this year and with a better offense under Frye and with Winslow / Edwards making defenses honest ....... he could produce 1500 total yards and double digit TD's, far above what many think he'll get

WR - Greg Jennings. Favre will make a 70-80 catch stud rookie out of this kid opposite the field from Driver.

TE - Eric Johnson. 60+ catches and a few TD's for a guy who's suppose to be the #2 behind Vernon "I can't figure this sytem out" Davis

Defense - Seattle isn't geting love. Weak schedule, great offense ......... top 3-5 Defense

RB - Reuben Droughns. Yes, not a sleeper, but he's going to get 325 + touches this year and with a better offense under Frye and with Winslow / Edwards making defenses honest ....... he could produce 1500 total yards and double digit TD's, far above what many think he'll get
The Browns will be lucky to cross mid field ten times. But I do see him getting some yardage. Don't forget Harrison looks to work his way in the mix as well.

I tend to disagree about Plummer for one reason - Jay Cutler.

Cutler has looked great in camp; in fact, hes already claimed the backup job. If Plummer struggles at any point this year, look for Shanny to pull Jake in order to give Cutler some reps. Plummer may be good for the first 6-8 weeks of the year, but I definitely see Cutler recieiving more playing time as the season progresses.

Plummer may not lose the starting job altogether, but he will certainly lose playing time throughout the year.

I tend to disagree about Plummer for one reason - Jay Cutler.Cutler has looked great in camp; in fact, hes already claimed the backup job. If Plummer struggles at any point this year, look for Shanny to pull Jake in order to give Cutler some reps. Plummer may be good for the first 6-8 weeks of the year, but I definitely see Cutler recieiving more playing time as the season progresses. Plummer may not lose the starting job altogether, but he will certainly lose playing time throughout the year.
I don't quite understand your logic here. Whens the last time you seen coaches use a QBBC? More importantly whens the last time you seen a coach us a QBBC when they are in the middle of a playoff run, which Denver should be? The only way Cutler see the field this year is if Plummer gets hurt, they start losing a lot of games or are in a blowout game that they feel they locked up.

I tend to disagree about Plummer for one reason - Jay Cutler.Cutler has looked great in camp; in fact, hes already claimed the backup job. If Plummer struggles at any point this year, look for Shanny to pull Jake in order to give Cutler some reps. Plummer may be good for the first 6-8 weeks of the year, but I definitely see Cutler recieiving more playing time as the season progresses. Plummer may not lose the starting job altogether, but he will certainly lose playing time throughout the year.
I don't quite understand your logic here. Whens the last time you seen coaches use a QBBC? More importantly whens the last time you seen a coach us a QBBC when they are in the middle of a playoff run, which Denver should be? The only way Cutler see the field this year is if Plummer gets hurt, they start losing a lot of games or are in a blowout game that they feel they locked up.
which likely means will be seeing Cutler. Seriously, Denver believes (and rightly so) that they should get to the Superbowl this year and I think Shanahan will have a very short leash for Plummer IF he starts stinking it up.

My #1 "sleeper" is Kevan Barlow, and I think he's providing excellent value right now. I have him in both of my dynasty leagues as my RB4/5, and I drafted him as my RB4 in my only redraft league.

Consider this:

On a 2004 49er squad with no talent at QB or WR and a terrible offensive line, he managed just over 1,000 total yards and 7 TDs. The only reason this was viewed as a disappointment is because of the high expectation that people had for him based on the previous year. However, the loss of Owens, Garcia, and 60% of the offensive line ruined any chances he had for success.

No matter how bad you think the Jets offense will be this year, they'll be better than the 2004 49ers.

So, now he'll be playing for a team with a better QB, more threats at WR, and a better offensive line than the 2004 49ers. He'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder, and he still has the same talent that made him successfull in 2003.

It may take a week or three before he takes over the full-time role, but he will. And he's got more than enough talent to take advantage of it. If he can go 1,000-7 on the 2004 49ers, his cieling on this year's Jets is a good bit higher.

QB sleeper - JP Loseman

He's got it together with Chambers. They're not a good ball club and will pass from behind. He also runs and has a year to learn. As sleeper a QB as any can get.

WR - Greg Jennings. Favre will make a 70-80 catch stud rookie out of this kid opposite the field from Driver.

TE - Eric Johnson. 60+ catches and a few TD's for a guy who's suppose to be the #2 behind Vernon "I can't figure this sytem out" Davis

Defense - Seattle isn't geting love. Weak schedule, great offense ......... top 3-5 Defense
In totality, this is a candidate for the worst post I've ever seen on these boards.I don't even know where to start, so I won't.

Watch out for Travis Taylor!!!!! He is my big sleeper along with Price if JP can come around. But do not count on that one. I also like Brooks. In my draft he fell to me with the 11.11 pick. I know everyone is high on Lundy.....thats why I like Morency. Lundy being a rook and all.

Here's my sleepersQB Rivers SD, has a nice cast of supporting players, plus games against Oak(2), Tenn, SF, KC(2), STL, Cleveland, AZ, I like him as a spot starter in these gamesRB Not a sleeper any more but Lundy Houston, could have a nice year Jacobs NYG, Tiki's not getting any younger, and a injury could put this guy in the spot lightWR Not usually a fan of rookie WR's, but Jennings of GB is special, he's been playing with the first team and looks good Wilson Pitt, if Hines Ward misses any time due to his hammy this guy is the man
Lundy Houston ? My head hurts ! :cry:

RB:

Frank Gore

Ronnie Brown

Kevin Jones

Jamal Lewis (again)

QB:

Trent Green (again)

Jon Kitna

David Carr

WR:

Lee Evans

Troy Williamson

Braylon Edwards

Andre Johnson

Chris Chamber (if he counts)

Roy Williams

Matt Jones (someone has to catch ball in Jack)

TE:

Ben Watson

Ben Troupe (a lot of you were a year too early on this one ;) )

Watch out for Travis Taylor!!!!! He is my big sleeper along with Price if JP can come around. But do not count on that one. I also like Brooks. In my draft he fell to me with the 11.11 pick. I know everyone is high on Lundy.....thats why I like Morency. Lundy being a rook and all.
Again with Travis Taylor. Wasn't he supposed to emerge last season too?? Travis Taylor is undraftable, we have seen everything the guy has to offer. I know Koren is down and T.Taylor has an ADP of WR#61 but I just don't like a WR to finally emerge in his seventh season.I think T.Williamson has plenty of value right now (ADP WR#42) and that should be the direction you look in when you scout Minn WRs.

There are a few examples:1) First off, I think back to Eli Manning's rookie year. Kurt Warner was playing well and the Giants were playing competitve football. Still, Coughlin waited for Warner to make just one minor mistake before giving Eli the football. That was an extreme example, because the Giants actually tanked the second half of the season in order to get Eli the experience he needed. 2) When Mike Vick was a rookie in 2001, Dan Reeves would give bring him off the bench for 1-2 series at a time to expose him to the rigors of the NFL. After 10 games the Falcons were 6-4 and challenging for a playoff spot. The Falcons lose 5 of their last 6 and finished 7-9. Vick cut into Chris Chandlers playing time just enough so that he wouldnt be a succesful Fantasy QB. Vick had 1100 total yards, while Chandler had ~3000 total yards.When QB's are drafted high, they sometimes get sporadic playing time throughout their rookie year to get them upto speed. Obviosuly not all rookie QB's get playing time (Philip Rivers comes to mind). But its certainly something you have to take into consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread