What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (4 Viewers)

Bri

Footballguy
heads up as most of us will be entrenched in football

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/?ntrack_para1=feat_main_title

Great show for those that don't know

The third season of THE WIRE generated wide critical praise. It was named the best series of 2004 by Entertainment Weekly, which called the show "the smartest, deepest and most resonant drama on TV." The New York Times observed that the series is "one of the smartest, most ambitious shows on television." TV Guide hailed THE WIRE as "smart and subtle, yet also brutally powerful," while New York Newsday declared THE WIRE "the greatest dramatic series ever produced for television," and Daily Variety called it "brilliant" and "meticulously written, superbly acted."

THE WIRE was created by David Simon; executive producers are David Simon and Nina Kostroff Noble, with co-executive
10 pm sunday night

Last edited by a moderator:
We're here. Not a lot in that episode but bringing in new characters and setting up storylines. Like the rest of the episodes though, it was very well written.

A focus on the kids and public school system. I think this will be a very good season. Great great show.

Big delima here in that every Wire season I have simply waited and then rented the whole season so I could watch multiple episodes at a time. I am so tempted to simply Tivo them all or at least blocks of 5 before I watch them.

Big delima here in that every Wire season I have simply waited and then rented the whole season so I could watch multiple episodes at a time. I am so tempted to simply Tivo them all or at least blocks of 5 before I watch them.
so you actually like the wire?

where'd the Wire fans go?
Good Show. Setting up for the season with many story lines. I hear you can watch the show like 6 days in advance on HBO On Demand? What is that about? Anyway about the show...So Marlo is basically Barksdale without Stringer and his smarts. Seems that it will not be very long for them to get busted as they are not as covert as B&B. But they "drop" bodies better. Are they stashing them in abandon houses and then putting lime (?) or something on them to deteriorate faster? Not sure what the powder stuff was they were putting on that crackhead but I figured it had to do something with hiding the evidence. Just a matter of time before the Police find the bodies and take down Marlo. But I'm sure it will not be until the end of the season, right? I was surprised they knocked off Fruit in the first Epi. Slim needs to step the **** up and take control. Sad to see such a once mighty organization so low. Reminds me of the Packers :) . I think Bodie will take a bigger role and might be able to carve out a little niche for himself. Where in the world is Prop Joe? Omar? Cutty? A lot could be developed from here.As for the Political angle, I like Carcetti better this year. Especially when he was talking about the middle of the order for the Orioles?!? instead of getting contributions. He cracks me up. I hope that one Rep (can't remember his name but took all that money from Stringer) gets nailed and is shipped off to prison.

Marlo's there but he's nowhere in sight when the sh hits the fan. I think he's a little craftier than you think.

I agree Bodie's up to something. I'm afraid he's going to take on some guys he can't muscle. His crew is a bunch of kids.

Carcetti is annnoying to me. He's probably the prototypical slippery two faced politician. It was the first normal side I recall seeing out of this guy, rest of the time he just whined. I'm interested where they go with this storyline.

McNulty walking a beat? Cmon that can't last or he's banging that chick from the docks of a "beattie russel?" couple years ago. I've been waiting for these storylines to collide. Remember Prop Joe met with the Russians.

That girl in the beginning bit was awesome with that nail gun and the way she talked and all.

Bunk's "See how bow legged he is? I made him like that" was pretty funny

As if, I think the lime helps them decompose and they're working on the buildings so maybe stashing them in the walls or in the foundation? I don't think they left that guy there. That'd be stupid, obviously be the guys working on the building and cost them work $.

Barksdale's in jail right? So that big ox bruiser is waiting for orders from him I guess? Only saw him talk to Bodie briefly.

I laughed as that guy went into the Mayor's office in a suit. What a goof.

Best show on TV... period.

The cops kept saying no bodies, marlow isnt dropping bodies.

we know he is and hes putting them in those abandoned buildings, these buildings are tombs for his enemies.

catch it now.

wow, finally got around to watching The Wire last nite (stupid Sunday nite time slot).

that was excellent. usually the first episode of any season is kinda lame and boring (see, Sopranos, the) but this one did a lot for me. we got introduced to a new crew (the kids).. see a developing situation with Marlo and Bodie's independent crew, etc.

it seemed really well put together.. moreso than past seasons. it looked tighter for lack of a better description.

i was impressed.

can't wait to record Sunday's episode (and watch it on Tuesday again) !!

This most excellent of shows was just renewed for a 5th season.

Baltimore's already excellent reputation will now only get better.

:bye:

Interesting stirring everything up this week. Bubs' cart and how he could expand his business with another cart and do some marketting was hysterical. Nice to see Omar in next week's preview.

nice! i skipped the previews. like to be surprised by the upcoming episode.

i was :lmao: when they showed that TJ Houshmandzadeh is actually Weebay's kid. wtf?

nice! i skipped the previews. like to be surprised by the upcoming episode.i was :lmao: when they showed that TJ Houshmandzadeh is actually Weebay's kid. wtf?
As they are sitting in jail Weebay telling his mother that he has to start somewhere (runner). Yep, you too can grow up to be just like Daddy. Dispensing advice from a prison cell.

I'm a little grumpy they wrote in the mayor not wanting any paperwork and basically shutting down the unit. Fine add-in by me but that took many good characters out for an episode. Put Kima in homocide in same episode and let's get going.

McNulty being happy as a family guy. I'd be glad for him if he wasn't such a tragic hero(like in novels). What bad happens to him next? I love his and Bunk's conversations. Anyone else?

Next week Omar walks in on Marlo, I'm excited for that and would do HBO On demand if my cable co offerred it.

LOL @ dopey white cop getting promoted for witnessing a BJ

I predict Bodey is going to switch sides and work for Marlo

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a great show. they've managed to introduce a whole new set of characters, integrate them in the stories of previous cast and not make it awkward.

very very well done.

very surprising

thought the FFA would be all over this one. it's the best thing going right now. besides football anyways.

this is a great show. they've managed to introduce a whole new set of characters, integrate them in the stories of previous cast and not make it awkward.

very very well done.
so surprising it's not more popular isn't it?
Not really.EZ Streets
:) I remember that show, also I have all the episodes of 100 Center St on VCR tape and watch them every now and then. HBO though, they are pretty well known for putting out good original shows and well it's been a long time since OZ and even Dream On and some others; Sopranos, Sex and the city etc. Deadwood, for example, seems like a much more popular show than The Wire. I think they came out at a similar time if nto a year within each other and were on close to each other on Sunday night. Eh I don't know, just figured it'd be more popular.

On a similar vein, Fox has been playing The Shield reruns now. Maybe that becomes more popular and Vic+co get the money they want and it stays on the air longer. I see him as a superhero on some movie and oh my I hope he doesn't want to abandon the Shield and try a movie career.

Bri said:
RKMoney said:
Bri said:
mr. furley said:

very very well done.
Not really.EZ Streets
:) I remember that show, also I have all the episodes of 100 Center St on VCR tape and watch them every now and then. HBO though, they are pretty well known for putting out good original shows and well it's been a long time since OZ and even Dream On and some others; Sopranos, Sex and the city etc. Deadwood, for example, seems like a much more popular show than The Wire. I think they came out at a similar time if nto a year within each other and were on close to each other on Sunday night. Eh I don't know, just figured it'd be more popular.

On a similar vein, Fox has been playing The Shield reruns now. Maybe that becomes more popular and Vic+co get the money they want and it stays on the air longer. I see him as a superhero on some movie and oh my I hope he doesn't want to abandon the Shield and try a movie career.
Thie is The Wire's 4th season, isnt it?

I watched the 4th episode of season 4 and I'm liking the way things are taking shape. I won't give anything away since it doesn't air until Sun Oct 1st. :ph34r: Damn good show. I'm glad that it has been renewed for a 5th season. I hope the writers don't lose their edge.

writing seems to be getting better each season actually. i was worried coming in that maybe it wouldn't be as interesting since they knocked off the Barksdales.. but so far so good.

very very well done.
Not really.EZ Streets
:confused:
When the show came out it was touted as one of the best shows ever from many critics but not many people watched it. Reminds me of The Wire, an incredible show that many people don't watch for some unknown reason, perhaps because it isn't fast and easy to understand like most shows on TV.

sportsguy's take on The Wire

I found it fascinating that, in the same month that "Gridiron Gang" became the No. 1 movie, HBO ignored perpetually crummy ratings and renewed "The Wire" for a fifth and final season. After plowing through the first 37 episodes of "The Wire" in three weeks this summer, I agree with others who argue that it's the most important television show of all-time, surpassing even "The Sopranos" because of its ambition and social relevance. The "Sopranos" worked because the acting and writing was so exceptional, we found ourselves identifying with unlikable characters who were basically unredeemable (save for Tony's wife, his children and his therapist). We excused every horrible action because we grew to like these characters personally over the years. In real life, we probably wouldn't like any of them, and we would definitely be afraid of them. It's fantasy disguised as reality: Lose yourself in the show for an hour, digest it when it's over and move on to something else.

Well, there's nowhere to hide in "The Wire." The characters are stuck in Baltimore, a washed-up city ravaged by drugs, poverty and political corruption. Our closest thing to heroes are renegade detective Jimmy McNulty (a likable, hard-drinking iconoclast who disappears for much of Season 2 and becomes completely irrelevant in Season 4) and a gun-wielding nomad named Omar (a scarfaced Robin Hood, only if Robin Hood was gay and stole from drug dealers). We spend three full seasons watching Baltimore police break the city's biggest drug syndicate ... only to watch an angrier, more ruthless group of rival dealers immediately pop up in its place. The current season centers around four poor teenagers (all of them threatening to succumb to the drug lifestyle) and Baltimore's incompetent school system (which can't even begin to hope to save them), with the show elucidating in painstaking detail why these kids can't be salvaged: They have no role models and no chance to escape, and things will never change because the lead politicians and major police heads only care about themselves. There's no overall plan to save the city, no passionate leader on the horizon, nothing. All of it would take too much effort. Like a dead fish, Baltimore rots from the head down.

It's an exceptional show, and I'm not even sure "exceptional" is a strong enough word. Of course, barely anyone watches it. HBO deliberated over its renewal all summer until the gushing feedback for Season 4 left them no choice. Late to the party, I spent the past few weeks devouring the show, then the next week wondering what took everyone else so long to jump on the bandwagon, and more importantly, what took ME so long to jump on the bandwagon. Two weeks ago in this space, I explained how I'm one of those people who doesn't like when other people tell me, "YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS SHOW!" If anything, that makes me not want to watch it. I like to stumble across these things organically.

Now I'm wondering if I avoided "The Wire" because its central themes -- drugs, corruption, urban decay -- were realities that I simply wanted to ignore. Instead of being haunted by a show like this, it was easier and safer to skip it entirely. Most people feel this way, I'm guessing; it's the only conceivable reason why five times as many people would watch "The Sopranos" over a show that's better in every way. See, when most Americans dabble in inner-city TV shows or movies for our "taste" of street life, we're hoping for the Hollywood version. We don't want despair and decay, we want hope and triumph. We don't want the zero sum game of drug dealers killing each other, we want the Rock coaching juvie kids and turning their lives around in two hours. We want them to win the big football game, we want the movie to end, and we don't want to think about these people ever again.

That's the real reason why "Gridiron Gang" became the No. 1 movie last weekend, and that's the real reason why "The Wire" was barely renewed for a fifth season. Upon further review, maybe the problem isn't Hollywood after all.

Grrr. So after years of every one with a brain telling me I have to watch this show, I bought the Season One DVD set. And it's awesome. Maybe the best season of TV I've ever seen.

But the other seasons at Best Buy are like 80 bucks (season 1 was $50)! Thematically relevant or not, I don't appreciate getting hooked on their TV crack only to have them jack the prices on me.

So the guy that said "Omar isn't a terrorist, he's just an *&^%$# with a gun" later hears "You must be confusing me with someone that repeats himself" while Omar puts a gun under his chin. Next week should be great.

Marlo pretty clever scam on Omar this week. IIRC There's a video in that convenience store though.

When they set the camera up, they ran the wire behind+over the wall to a transmitter. How come if they know there's a camera there they don't just unplug the transmitter? It's not in the camera's eye.

Greggs is gonna solve that case and rub it in fatboys face

im noty sure what more we can say. this show is just great.
There's not one character that is not spot on. It's incredible. Really feels like you are watching real life unfold in front of you.
:goodposting: finally caught up this week on the last 2 plus next weeks (on demand)some of the situations these characters are in are overwhelmingly sadespecially the kidsi expect the kids' situations to get even more tragicanyone have any idea whats up with the kid who is spending time with cutty in the gym?seems like he was molested or something? doesnt trust anyone.the scene where he doesnt want to be alone in cutties car with him after going to the fights was odd. he jumps out and walks home.

wee-bays son, damien...is he in the opening credits...silhouette behind the plastic bags about to get shot?

damiens mom is worse than anything tony sorprano had to face.

cargetti wins!!!!!!!!

whats up w/ omar?

and why did marlo do that whole set-up w/ the cops?

Users who are viewing this thread