What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (1 Viewer)

ya only 10 episodesblows
:confused:On OnDemand they have epsiodes about Prop Joe in '62 cornering a drug market, Omar in '85 on his first robbery, and Bunk on his first case with McNulty. I'll have to check those out. Has anyone?

OK - I'm fully caught up now on the first 2 episodes.

Sweet stuff so far. The dialogue is crisp as h-e-double-hockey sticks. And I like the media angle combined with the re-introduction of the core favorite players.

I rented "The Corner" and only watched one or two episodes. I couldn't stay into it.
I think it's harder because the story is mostly about the appalling conditions. The Wire is more interesting because there are several interconnected storylines. But I would recommend watching them all anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we're getting somewhere. The third episode is probably the best one of the season so far IMO.

Apparently now you can't put separate paragraphs in as spoilers. At least it wasn't coming up when I tried to put all of the above under one spoiler tag. :cry:

I was worried about the newspaper angle when I started reading stuff about Simon's admitted grudge against his former editors. Maybe it will improve, but after the first two episodes, that plotline looks poised to pull down the show's overall quality.

This show has been awesome over four seasons in presenting characters with nuance to them, but so far everyone in the newsroom is either transparently saintly (Gus), or tranparently evil (Whiting).

Sigmund Bloom said:
jamil said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
what the ####? Jimmy is going insane.
word. mcnutty is putting his ### out there on this one just to get some money flowing again.
He's doing the only thing he knows how to do - stir s&!t up.also, :confused: at the mcnutty reference.
It pissed me off when he did that though. I mean, is he just insane or what the ####? I dont see how this helps other than he NEEDS to feel useful.

Shrek said:
Now we're getting somewhere. The third episode is probably the best one of the season so far IMO.

Apparently now you can't put separate paragraphs in as spoilers. At least it wasn't coming up when I tried to put all of the above under one spoiler tag. :goodposting:
I can get this episode on demand right now?

I can get this episode on demand right now?
I get On Demand through Mediacom, and their On Demand service advertises that all season long you will be able to get every episode of The Wire a week early. :thumbup: Just go in and check. If episode 53 is available, you know you have it.

word. mcnutty is putting his ### out there on this one just to get some money flowing again.
He's doing the only thing he knows how to do - stir s&!t up.also, :confused: at the mcnutty reference.
It pissed me off when he did that though. I mean, is he just insane or what the ####? I dont see how this helps other than he NEEDS to feel useful.
In episode one they talked about how there has been no media play in town since Marlow's 22 bodies were found, and they were just in a bar last night wondering how to get attention to all the dead people who noone cares about.A serial killer would bring some play to B-more. At least that is my guess on why he might be doing it. That, plus he's a self-destructive pot-stirrer (back on the bottle, cheating on his new wife Beasley, messing with a crime scene)

He's doing the only thing he knows how to do - stir s&!t up.also, :lmao: at the mcnutty reference.
In episode one they talked about how there has been no media play in town since Marlow's 22 bodies were found, and they were just in a bar last night wondering how to get attention to all the dead people who noone cares about.A serial killer would bring some play to B-more. At least that is my guess on why he might be doing it. That, plus he's a self-destructive pot-stirrer (back on the bottle, cheating on his new wife Beasley, messing with a crime scene)
how does the position of the dead guy make it look like a serial killer as opposed to a random kill?Dont know what the hell Jimmy was doing to the corpse

He's doing the only thing he knows how to do - stir s&!t up.also, :lmao: at the mcnutty reference.
He says to Bunk that this is exactly why he is doing it.Spoiler in episode three:

Like every other HBO series, though, I'm starting to get frustrated that it doesn't seem like they will wrap up some of the storylines by the end of the series. This is irritating, and I hope I'm wrong.

how does the position of the dead guy make it look like a serial killer as opposed to a random kill?Dont know what the hell Jimmy was doing to the corpse
The female cop explained that an accidental death could look like a murder even if the strangle marks were made after death. Jimmy put his hands around the guys throat to make strangle marks. Then when he turned the body over he was pushing the blood back to the top of the body so it would pool in a different area after he moved the body. With the body in the morgue and the body in the house having similar strangle marks, he can now claim that someone's out there strangling the homeless/druggies.Or so he hopes.

I was worried about the newspaper angle when I started reading stuff about Simon's admitted grudge against his former editors. Maybe it will improve, but after the first two episodes, that plotline looks poised to pull down the show's overall quality. This show has been awesome over four seasons in presenting characters with nuance to them, but so far everyone in the newsroom is either transparently saintly (Gus), or tranparently evil (Whiting).
Episode 53 will change your opinion of them IMO. It did for me. :confused:

People I'd like to see dead: Marlo and crew, excluding the kids.

People I'd like to see punched in the face: McNutbag and possibly Lester.

Episode 53 = :goodposting:

I am so bummed that I have to type "only seven more to go."

I predict that there will be a big tying up of a loose end - Marlowe will go to jail and most of his crew will be dead. And there will be hanging chads to show that life goes on in B-more (Prop Joe aint going anywhere).

I love the confrontations in this show now - old friends ending up on opposite sides of a lot of issues.

just wached episode 2 of this season

avons return was great but did anyone else think that he was playing marlow?

i dont know what his angle is but he acted totally different than he used to

maybe hes just less stressed now that he doesnt have to worry about getting caught but it seemed like he was way over the top with that westside stuff. throwing the w sign. :confused:

I have never seen this program.....yeah I know I am missing some great stuff.

I have been putting off getting these seasons on DVD and watching them. My wife doesn't care for HBO programs so I don't put her through it and we no longer have HBO. She will be traveling to Europe for 10 days in February and I think that will be a golden opportunity to watch every episode available on DVD.

Here is my questions;

As a Fanatic of the programs Homicide and The Shield, I was interested to see Clark Johnson listed as a new character. Has he appeared on any episodes yet and is his character a good or bad character? I loved his acting on Homicide and his Directing on The Shield is incredible.

Fill me in. TIA

I have never seen this program.....yeah I know I am missing some great stuff.I have been putting off getting these seasons on DVD and watching them. My wife doesn't care for HBO programs so I don't put her through it and we no longer have HBO. She will be traveling to Europe for 10 days in February and I think that will be a golden opportunity to watch every episode available on DVD.Here is my questions;As a Fanatic of the programs Homicide and The Shield, I was interested to see Clark Johnson listed as a new character. Has he appeared on any episodes yet and is his character a good or bad character? I loved his acting on Homicide and his Directing on The Shield is incredible.Fill me in. TIA
Run to the video store or put them in your online queue now. Seriously. I put it off for way too long. Does anybody know if HBO plans to air the first episode of Season 5 again? Or where I can find it? I have comcast and somehow deleted or F'ed up Tivoing the first episode. :useless:

I have never seen this program.....yeah I know I am missing some great stuff.I have been putting off getting these seasons on DVD and watching them. My wife doesn't care for HBO programs so I don't put her through it and we no longer have HBO. She will be traveling to Europe for 10 days in February and I think that will be a golden opportunity to watch every episode available on DVD.Here is my questions;As a Fanatic of the programs Homicide and The Shield, I was interested to see Clark Johnson listed as a new character. Has he appeared on any episodes yet and is his character a good or bad character? I loved his acting on Homicide and his Directing on The Shield is incredible.Fill me in. TIA
Run to the video store or put them in your online queue now. Seriously. I put it off for way too long. Does anybody know if HBO plans to air the first episode of Season 5 again? Or where I can find it? I have comcast and somehow deleted or F'ed up Tivoing the first episode. :useless:
no OnDemand?

no OnDemand?
I think I have it??? Don't watch much TV. But aren't OnDemand offerings usually a couple years behind? For example, I was at my parents oevr the holidays and their OnDemand episodes of Curb were seasons 2-3.

Run to the video store or put them in your online queue now. Seriously. I put it off for way too long. Does anybody know if HBO plans to air the first episode of Season 5 again? Or where I can find it? I have comcast and somehow deleted or F'ed up Tivoing the first episode. :thumbdown:
no OnDemand?
I think I have it??? Don't watch much TV. But aren't OnDemand offerings usually a couple years behind? For example, I was at my parents oevr the holidays and their OnDemand episodes of Curb were seasons 2-3.
Shouldn't be - "in-season," the new ones are available a week in advance. You should have episodes 51, 52, and 53 all available on demand if you have HBO OnDemand.

He plays a good guy. Well, initial appearances are that he's going to be a good guy, but The Wire has a way of switching that around sometimes. Anyway, his character's name is Gus, and he's an editor at The Baltimore Sun newspaper.Johnson also directed the first two episodes of the series in Season 1, and from what I understand, he is directing the finale. Those first two episodes are fantastic film. You'll tear through the first season in about a day if you get the DVD's. Get them and don't think twice about it. You'll thank us later.

You know Homicide was based on David Simons book of the same name right? David Simon is the creator and main writer of The Wire. You will love it if you are A Homicide fan. Clark's a good guy so far.

You know Homicide was based on David Simons book of the same name right? David Simon is the creator and main writer of The Wire. You will love it if you are A Homicide fan. Clark's a good guy so far.
I have been DVR'ing Homicide every day from WGN. I watch it every night. 10 years later it is still better than anything by x1000 that is currently on network television.One of these days when it cycles back to Season 1 I want to start an Official Thread and get some other Homicide groupies to join in on the daily viewing.

I'd like to see Omar kill Marlo. I don't think it will happen early in the season, if at all.
I highly doubt that is going to happen. This show almost never strays too far from reality. Omar's character may be the best and most complexed in the history of television... it'll be a shame to see him fall, but I can’t see things ending any other way for him. He will never get close enough to Marlo, but I do think he will catch either Snoop or Chris (has there ever been two more laid back killers than those two?). BTW: The final scene of the last episode in season one, is IMO the best scene in the history of Television. It was done flawlessly.

just wached episode 2 of this seasonavons return was great but did anyone else think that he was playing marlow?i dont know what his angle is but he acted totally different than he used tomaybe hes just less stressed now that he doesnt have to worry about getting caught but it seemed like he was way over the top with that westside stuff. throwing the w sign. :thumbup:
Stringer "sold out" to Prop Joe giving him half his real estate, that Avon supposedly famously fought for. I think Avon is giddy because he's getting something over on Prop Joe. I also can't imagine him giving in to some committee approach. Also, if he wants his towers back, it's much easier to take down Marlo than everyone on that committee combined.Alot of wins for Avon here

I'd like to see Omar kill Marlo. I don't think it will happen early in the season, if at all.
I highly doubt that is going to happen. This show almost never strays too far from reality. Omar's character may be the best and most complexed in the history of television... it'll be a shame to see him fall, but I can’t see things ending any other way for him. He will never get close enough to Marlo, but I do think he will catch either Snoop or Chris (has there ever been two more laid back killers than those two?). BTW: The final scene of the last episode in season one, is IMO the best scene in the history of Television. It was done flawlessly.
I agree Omar's gotta fall, sadly.Also, if he is going to take out Snoop then I would love for an hour long episode of their dialogue. I love how those two talk.Last scene, first season.....refresh my memory, please

One thing I love about David Simon's writing is that he gets you so close to the characters with such an understanding that you are so sure you know what will happen next. When you're wrong, you don't care. You just think moreso about what great writing it is.

I've seen a number of people do this in this thread alone.

watched the on demand episode today

"it aint easy civilizin this mother####er"

:goodposting:

Bri said:
just wached episode 2 of this seasonavons return was great but did anyone else think that he was playing marlow?i dont know what his angle is but he acted totally different than he used tomaybe hes just less stressed now that he doesnt have to worry about getting caught but it seemed like he was way over the top with that westside stuff. throwing the w sign. :lmao:
Stringer "sold out" to Prop Joe giving him half his real estate, that Avon supposedly famously fought for. I think Avon is giddy because he's getting something over on Prop Joe. I also can't imagine him giving in to some committee approach. Also, if he wants his towers back, it's much easier to take down Marlo than everyone on that committee combined.Alot of wins for Avon here
There are no towers.

Bri said:
just wached episode 2 of this seasonavons return was great but did anyone else think that he was playing marlow?i dont know what his angle is but he acted totally different than he used tomaybe hes just less stressed now that he doesnt have to worry about getting caught but it seemed like he was way over the top with that westside stuff. throwing the w sign. :excited:
There are no towers.
:thumbup:But I agree that Avon is trying to get over on Prop Joe, plus he just made 100G by letting two people shake hands, and he has made a bond with the Greeks through Sergei.

Bri said:
Last scene, first season.....refresh my memory, please
Here is the very end of it (it doesn’t do it justice because you kind of need to see the season wrap up before the scene to get the full effect). Anyway... It's Omar in NYC, after skipping town in the aftermath of testifying against Bird.

After spending this past Saturday with a hangover and all 13 episodes of Season 1, I just re-upped for Seasons 2 - 4. Amazing effing show.

Users who are viewing this thread