What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (3 Viewers)

At the coop meeting Marlowe tells everyone that he's responsible for taking out Prop Joe. Then why does the one coop member who gets held up by Omar with the broken bottle ask Omar when he's leaving if he killed Prop Joe and Hungry Man? This didn't make sense to me.

At the coop meeting Marlowe tells everyone that he's responsible for taking out Prop Joe. Then why does the one coop member who gets held up by Omar with the broken bottle ask Omar when he's leaving if he killed Prop Joe and Hungry Man? This didn't make sense to me.
That's what I thought the first time I watched it. What Marlo actually says is "I'm responsible", but then he goes on to say he's responsible because he's been going after Omar, and Omar is coming back on people close to him (like Prop Joe). Then he ups the bounty on Omar. It's kind of hard to understand Marlo sometimes because he's a low talker.

That's what I thought the first time I watched it. What Marlo actually says is "I'm responsible", but then he goes on to say he's responsible because he's been going after Omar, and Omar is coming back on people close to him (like Prop Joe). Then he ups the bounty on Omar. It's kind of hard to understand Marlo sometimes because he's a low talker.
Exactly. Marlo says "I'm responsible" in the sense of, "my actions caused Joe's death", not "I killed Joe".

Tackling Dummies said:
I'm Netflixing this due to this thread.I'm on season 1 right now and it took me a few minutes to realize that it's the best show since Homicide.
The Wire is a step above Homicide IMHO. It takes television to the next level. Homicide was much more structured. On The Wire there are so many different characters and story lines (which open up as the series progresses) that it actually turns some people away. To the untrained viewer, a singal viewing is usually not enough to grasp the complexity of most episodes. But for those who stick with it, the reward is indeed great. Every season ends with the various story lines connecting to provide a vivid interpretation of how the (many diversified) characters are at the mercy of something much bigger than themselves. Some people dislike the (almost) overwhelming number of characters (and institutions) portrayed on the show; but without them ALL, the primary theme of a city "rotting from within" would not be complete. Best series ever as far as im concerned.

I'm so pissed off. I made the mistake of checking out the Wire boards over at HBO and some dumb MF'er gave the spoilers for the entire season without giving everyone a heads up. :popcorn:
Take it with a grain of salt. They've been making predictions on those boards since the season began, they're not always correct. A lot of it is guesswork.edited to add: I just went over there and saw no less than 5 different outcomes for the series. I don't know which "spoiler" you were looking at, but I don't think I would put too much faith in it.
The posters name is something like Open44. The post I'm talking about starts off with how the Omar plot line ends. The guy has posted over and over about how everyone is going to know he's right starting with episode 58. You're right that I should take it with a grain of salt, but that first story line goes hand in hand with what I instantly thought about during episode 57 in relation to Kenard.I hope he's full of BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so pissed off. I made the mistake of checking out the Wire boards over at HBO and some dumb MF'er gave the spoilers for the entire season without giving everyone a heads up. :hot:
Take it with a grain of salt. They've been making predictions on those boards since the season began, they're not always correct. A lot of it is guesswork.edited to add: I just went over there and saw no less than 5 different outcomes for the series. I don't know which "spoiler" you were looking at, but I don't think I would put too much faith in it.
The posters name is something like Open44. The post I'm talking about starts off with how the Omar plot line ends. The guy has posted over and over about how everyone is going to know he's right starting with episode 58. You're right that I should take it with a grain of salt, but that first story line goes hand in hand with what I instantly thought about during episode 57 in relation to Kenard.I hope he's full of BS.
Not a spoiler, but I saw an interview posted somewhere with Michael K. Williams, the actor who plays Omar. Most of the interview was about how he's really a nice guy in real life, and how he adapted the Omar character on the The Wire. Then, at the end, this exchange happens:Interviewer: So, does Omar die in the final season?Michael K. Williams: It's Baltimore, baby.

I'm so pissed off. I made the mistake of checking out the Wire boards over at HBO and some dumb MF'er gave the spoilers for the entire season without giving everyone a heads up. :confused:
Not a spoiler, but I saw an interview posted somewhere with Michael K. Williams, the actor who plays Omar. Most of the interview was about how he's really a nice guy in real life, and how he adapted the Omar character on the The Wire. Then, at the end, this exchange happens:Interviewer: So, does Omar die in the final season?Michael K. Williams: It's Baltimore, baby.
You have to know it will happen. If they can kill off Stringer, they can kill anyone.

I'm so pissed off. I made the mistake of checking out the Wire boards over at HBO and some dumb MF'er gave the spoilers for the entire season without giving everyone a heads up. :lol:
You have to know it will happen. If they can kill off Stringer, they can kill anyone.
THEY KILL STRINGER?!?!?!?!?! :ph34r: :lol: :lol: /kidding

I'm so pissed off. I made the mistake of checking out the Wire boards over at HBO and some dumb MF'er gave the spoilers for the entire season without giving everyone a heads up. ;)
THEY KILL STRINGER?!?!?!?!?! :wall: :hot: :yes: /kidding
Noooooo...I meant Clay Davis. I get those two characters confused. :coffee:

just watched this past sundays episode last night. nothing like some wire for a romantic valentine evening.

surprised no one mentioned how it was cool that they brought nicki back even if it was brief

about the chris murder of bugs dad. I had thought all along thought it was because he was mollested also but I am wondering now that we know he has kids if its simply a reaction because hes a parent. who knows. either way that was some powerful acting. speaking of powerful acting how great is it when mcnutty has the jutted out chin look when hes really upset. that face says it all.

also I am pretty sure that Scott is not going to get caught. gus is the guy thats going to be on the outside when its over not scott. its rare that a wrong is righted on this show/in life.

just watched this past sundays episode last night. nothing like some wire for a romantic valentine evening.surprised no one mentioned how it was cool that they brought nicki back even if it was briefabout the chris murder of bugs dad. I had thought all along thought it was because he was mollested also but I am wondering now that we know he has kids if its simply a reaction because hes a parent. who knows. either way that was some powerful acting. speaking of powerful acting how great is it when mcnutty has the jutted out chin look when hes really upset. that face says it all. also I am pretty sure that Scott is not going to get caught. gus is the guy thats going to be on the outside when its over not scott. its rare that a wrong is righted on this show/in life.
:blackdot: I know they like to "disappoint" the fans with who wins and who loses. But Templeton is making up stories and Gus is onto him. I don't see any scenario where Gus goes down but he doesn't. Faking a story is the No. 1 crime in journalism.

just watched this past sundays episode last night. nothing like some wire for a romantic valentine evening.

surprised no one mentioned how it was cool that they brought nicki back even if it was brief

about the chris murder of bugs dad. I had thought all along thought it was because he was mollested also but I am wondering now that we know he has kids if its simply a reaction because hes a parent. who knows. either way that was some powerful acting. speaking of powerful acting how great is it when mcnutty has the jutted out chin look when hes really upset. that face says it all.

also I am pretty sure that Scott is not going to get caught. gus is the guy thats going to be on the outside when its over not scott. its rare that a wrong is righted on this show/in life.
:confused: I know they like to "disappoint" the fans with who wins and who loses. But Templeton is making up stories and Gus is onto him. I don't see any scenario where Gus goes down but he doesn't. Faking a story is the No. 1 crime in journalism.
This is true. There was a movie called "Shattered Glass" based on a true story about a guy who made up a bunch of articles for the New Republic. He got canned, and it was a big problem for the magazine. A newspaper would be quicker to fire someone who was making up facts. I think Templeton will continue to screw up until he gets busted and fired in disgrace. Possibly in conjunction with McNutty's fall from grace.

:confused: I know they like to "disappoint" the fans with who wins and who loses. But Templeton is making up stories and Gus is onto him. I don't see any scenario where Gus goes down but he doesn't. Faking a story is the No. 1 crime in journalism.
This is true. There was a movie called "Shattered Glass" based on a true story about a guy who made up a bunch of articles for the New Republic. He got canned, and it was a big problem for the magazine. A newspaper would be quicker to fire someone who was making up facts. I think Templeton will continue to screw up until he gets busted and fired in disgrace. Possibly in conjunction with McNutty's fall from grace.
I was actually going to say that I think one of them hides the other person's failure... i.e., Templeton gets off because it comes out that McNutty is making it all up, or McNutty gets away with it because he pins it on Templeton. Obviously, it would be "easier" for Templeton to be the scapegoat.

I was actually going to say that I think one of them hides the other person's failure... i.e., Templeton gets off because it comes out that McNutty is making it all up, or McNutty gets away with it because he pins it on Templeton. Obviously, it would be "easier" for Templeton to be the scapegoat.
Who knows how it will all turn out? If it gets far enough, you might get to a situation where Bunk has to perjure himself or give up McNutty. That would be a tough choice. Probably not enough episodes left, though.

No way Jimmy Mcnulty gets off this time. From seasons past, we all know what happens when a character attempts to change their institution on The Wire. The institution ALWAYS wins. I don’t see things ending very well for him at all.

No way Jimmy Mcnulty gets off this time. From seasons past, we all know what happens when a character attempts to change their institution on The Wire. The institution ALWAYS wins. I don’t see things ending very well for him at all.
Yep. One of the institutions is the drug trade. That's why I don't understand McNutty and Lester risking so much to go after Marlo. What happens if they get him? Another Marlo, or another Avon. It goes on and on. Frustrating, but reality. Only large scale social policy action could begin to fix the problem, and a cash strapped Baltimore isn't going to do that any time soon. Bunny Colvin had the best solution, but it didn't jibe with the (failed) Federal "War on Drugs", so he got crushed.

Yep. One of the institutions is the drug trade. That's why I don't understand McNutty and Lester risking so much to go after Marlo. What happens if they get him? Another Marlo, or another Avon. It goes on and on. Frustrating, but reality. Only large scale social policy action could begin to fix the problem, and a cash strapped Baltimore isn't going to do that any time soon. Bunny Colvin had the best solution, but it didn't jibe with the (failed) Federal "War on Drugs", so he got crushed.
As I predicted after episode two this year:This show ends as it started - McNulty and Lester back in the doghouse, with McNulty about to lose his job.As for Marlo, he goes down - hard. His entire organization is gone by seasons end. A new dog rises. How do the (not even) Greek fit into it?

I think the risks Freamon and McNulty are taking to get Marlo are more of a statement on their attitude towards the institution that is failing them than it is about Marlo. It's the principle of the matter. They know who the bad guy is, so if the do the job they were hired to do, like "real police," they catch the bad guy. The problem is that the institution cares less about catching the bad guy than making it look like they are trying to catch the bad guy. Perception reigns over substance. The machine matters more than the individual. The worst thing a character on this show can do is care about something. When they start to care about something there are tragic consequences. If you play the game and don't care about anything, you are rewarded.Guys like Freamon, McNulty and Gus are dinosaurs living in the days just before their extinction. Only they can see it happening before their eyes and know their is little they can do. I think this is why Freamon and McNulty are throwing all rationale, and their futures, out the window to catch Marlo.

I think the risks Freamon and McNulty are taking to get Marlo are more of a statement on their attitude towards the institution that is failing them than it is about Marlo. It's the principle of the matter. They know who the bad guy is, so if the do the job they were hired to do, like "real police," they catch the bad guy. The problem is that the institution cares less about catching the bad guy than making it look like they are trying to catch the bad guy. Perception reigns over substance. The machine matters more than the individual. The worst thing a character on this show can do is care about something. When they start to care about something there are tragic consequences. If you play the game and don't care about anything, you are rewarded.Guys like Freamon, McNulty and Gus are dinosaurs living in the days just before their extinction. Only they can see it happening before their eyes and know their is little they can do. I think this is why Freamon and McNulty are throwing all rationale, and their futures, out the window to catch Marlo.
:goodposting: Bunny Colvin, Stringer Bell, Prop Joe all tried to reshape age old institutions (the drug trade and the Police Department). But what they failed to realize is that "the game is the rigged". Nobody REALLY wins; one side just loses a little more slowly.

Good post Captain, I'd also mention that the two young troublemaker detectives in season 1 with their fuzzy dunlop informant...the african american one, sorry can't think of his name. He gets it now too. He has for a couple seasons and bringing Michael "gift wrapped" was a perfect example of that.

Last night was a real good episode.

Nice cameo by Munch.

Interesting that Chris tells Michael that Marlo has enough on his plate so he won't tell him about Omar. I imagine that'll drive Omar crazy.

If he's hitting each of Marlo's musclemen, he's gotta hunt down snoop and chris soon, there's not much muscle left. Boy was Michael right and he's lucky Omar didn't realize he was there for the shootout.

That job hunting/classified ad reading was funny.

McNulty was too arrogant about the OT and using it elsewhere and all. He did seem to realize he was digging his grave but ....that plea to Freeman to get Marlo on the wire quick had alot of meaning to it. Save me, get us out of this, etc.

The clocks

Guesses on the code or what it means?

I'm guessing it's when they need a "ree-up"

The greeks can then tell how much is needed for everyone when it is time to make up a package.

I've been noticing Jay Landesman in the credits. (not the character, the person)

I remember one real detective had a bit part on the show. I don't think it was him though. Who is his character?

I hadn't noticed it before so I'm guessing it's not Jay Landesman the character.

That older cop in the bar that the reporter was running a hypothetical by?

I've been noticing Jay Landesman in the credits. (not the character, the person)I remember one real detective had a bit part on the show. I don't think it was him though. Who is his character?I hadn't noticed it before so I'm guessing it's not Jay Landesman the character.That older cop in the bar that the reporter was running a hypothetical by?
thats my guess

The clocksGuesses on the code or what it means?I'm guessing it's when they need a "ree-up"The greeks can then tell how much is needed for everyone when it is time to make up a package.
Do you really want to know?

BR,

I can't quote or I'll see the spoiler.

That's what I meant by killing the thread conversation

please let us debate and guess if you already know

I can understand that rationale for McNulty, but Freamon has consistently been written to know better. From Season 1, he's preached that its all about following the money to the game behind the game. Now, in the final season, Lester is singularly obsessed with getting a street Kingpin who will just be replaced by the next one. And Lester knows that. Hell, he's TOLD McNulty that there always be another guy.Lester doesn't even seem particularly invested in the Clay Davis case, and the Lester we've seen for the last four seasons would have taken that a lot harder than anything to do with Marlo. I still think The Wire is a great show, but Season 5 has some real problems IMO. Its not just that the serial killer plot forces us to expend our disbelief (because Hamsterdam forced that too), but that the plot just has characters acting in a way that seems inconsistent with the show itself.

Lester doesn't even seem particularly invested in the Clay Davis case, and the Lester we've seen for the last four seasons would have taken that a lot harder than anything to do with Marlo. I still think The Wire is a great show, but Season 5 has some real problems IMO. Its not just that the serial killer plot forces us to expend our disbelief (because Hamsterdam forced that too), but that the plot just has characters acting in a way that seems inconsistent with the show itself.
Maybe not, though. McNutty and Lester always liked to think that because they're aware of the game that they're somehow above it or immune to it, but maybe this is a realization that, when it comes down to it, they're not.Which is exactly what the theme of this show has been from day one.

I think what you're all missing with the "there always be another guy so Lester and McNulty shouldn't care so much" is that Marlow is the most vicious killer they've ever seen. How many bodies did they pull out of the vacants? He kills way more people than Avon and Stringer did. I think they think the "next guy" won't be as savage as Marlow.

I think what you're all missing with the "there always be another guy so Lester and McNulty shouldn't care so much" is that Marlow is the most vicious killer they've ever seen. How many bodies did they pull out of the vacants? He kills way more people than Avon and Stringer did. I think they think the "next guy" won't be as savage as Marlow.
:moneybag:

IMO, Lester is just as much about getting the bad guy at all costs as McNulty. He was re-energized by working on the Barksdale case. He's the "outside the box" thinker - and he realizes that the only thing holding back getting the bad guy here is the money. He is doing everything so it is admissible in court - he is just not following proper police procedure for authorization for use of equipment and allocation of resources.

Instead of the allocated equipment being used to investigate homeless mens' deaths, the equipment is being used on a properly obtained search warrant on Marlo. Remember, as far as the brass is concerned, Lester and one more guy are still working that case and Bunk is working the vacant building murders and trying to tie those to Stanfield. Those are open investigations. All Lester is doing is helping McNulty "open the spickets" so they have the resources to get the real bad guy.

Besides, Marlo is the guy in front of them, so that is the target.If they knew or even suspected the Greek was behind it and was still in the B-more area, I am sure they'd try to chase that angle - they did sol in season 2, right?Theoretically, they have those guys tied in some way to the illegal port activity, and they were responsible for the can with the dead girls, right?

I can understand that rationale for McNulty, but Freamon has consistently been written to know better. From Season 1, he's preached that its all about following the money to the game behind the game. Now, in the final season, Lester is singularly obsessed with getting a street Kingpin who will just be replaced by the next one. And Lester knows that. Hell, he's TOLD McNulty that there always be another guy.Lester doesn't even seem particularly invested in the Clay Davis case, and the Lester we've seen for the last four seasons would have taken that a lot harder than anything to do with Marlo. I still think The Wire is a great show, but Season 5 has some real problems IMO. Its not just that the serial killer plot forces us to expend our disbelief (because Hamsterdam forced that too), but that the plot just has characters acting in a way that seems inconsistent with the show itself.
Remember that Marlow isnt just a drug kingpin. They found 22 bodies in those vacant homes and not a single one of them has been officially solved. Lester felt that they were close to wrapping up all of them if they had real support for real police work.

Remember that Marlow isnt just a drug kingpin. They found 22 bodies in those vacant homes and not a single one of them has been officially solved. Lester felt that they were close to wrapping up all of them if they had real support for real police work.
I haven't forgotten any of that. I still think its untrue to Lester's character. At the least, they could have had someone call Lester out so that he could have defended himself on those grounds. Its not as if the 22 murders were unprecedented. When the bodies weren't being found, they were low on bodies. The bodies were just being hidden.Lester isn't trying to get up on the bodies. I don't see him working any of the files that Bunk's working. He's trying to get up on Marlo's drug operations. He's tying his resources into disrupting the street level drug game. Which is fine for what its worth, but Lester wouldn't be implicit in McNulty's nutty serial killer game for that. I just think its a shame because this is a show that has built these type of details up from the first season. If they needed a fantastical storyline to get the dominos to fall, that's fine, but that isn't what has happened. As it is, the serial killer and newsroom plots seem to exist for their own sake. I don't feel that either one of them have illuminated the problems in Baltimore the way the school or stevedores arcs did.

I said "good posting" above, but I just thought about it and I remember a big thing in the initial Barksdale stuff were the "15 unsolved bodies"

I haven't forgotten any of that. I still think its untrue to Lester's character. At the least, they could have had someone call Lester out so that he could have defended himself on those grounds. Its not as if the 22 murders were unprecedented. When the bodies weren't being found, they were low on bodies. The bodies were just being hidden.Lester isn't trying to get up on the bodies. I don't see him working any of the files that Bunk's working. He's trying to get up on Marlo's drug operations. He's tying his resources into disrupting the street level drug game. Which is fine for what its worth, but Lester wouldn't be implicit in McNulty's nutty serial killer game for that. I just think its a shame because this is a show that has built these type of details up from the first season. If they needed a fantastical storyline to get the dominos to fall, that's fine, but that isn't what has happened. As it is, the serial killer and newsroom plots seem to exist for their own sake. I don't feel that either one of them have illuminated the problems in Baltimore the way the school or stevedores arcs did.
I don't think Lester is looking at Bunks files because he "knows" or has convinced himself that the bodies belong to Marlow. Now he is just trying to find a way to prove it

I've been noticing Jay Landesman in the credits. (not the character, the person)

I remember one real detective had a bit part on the show. I don't think it was him though. Who is his character?

I hadn't noticed it before so I'm guessing it's not Jay Landesman the character.

That older cop in the bar that the reporter was running a hypothetical by?
I think he's the one who played Colvin's lieutenant- the one who made Major after Colvin was released.ETA: Yep, here it is: http://www.hbo.com/thewire/cast/characters...nis_mello.shtml

BR,I can't quote or I'll see the spoiler.That's what I meant by killing the thread conversationplease let us debate and guess if you already know
Sorry bro. I didn’t know that you could see Spoilers when you quote them. My apologies.

58 was a great episode :kicksrock: I can't help but think, though, that many things that happened in Episode 58 could have, or maybe should have, happened earlier in the season.

However, that being said, they have a lot to deliver on in the last 2 episodes. If they don't, this could be a bigger end-of-series thud than The Sopranos.

BTW, Beadie is looking older, isn't she? She looked good in Season 2, but has gone downhill steadily since.

Don't forget that Lester spent 14 years 3 months (or something like that) on a desk job because he butted heads with Rawls. He only appears more level headed now. How he's acting now could be the Lester that messed up his career 18 years ago.

the Lester that messed up his career 18 years ago.
That Lester refused to cover up a crime:
His first major unit was Homicide, but in 1989, acting against the orders of the Deputy Commissioner, he charged a politically connected stolen goods fence to coerce his testimony in a homicide case. Though the case was successfully closed, the Deputy still had Freamon transferred to the Pawnshop unit as a punishment.

Don't forget that Lester spent 14 years 3 months (or something like that) on a desk job because he butted heads with Rawls. He only appears more level headed now. How he's acting now could be the Lester that messed up his career 18 years ago.
The Pawn Shop duty... that was classic :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread