Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Finished off the first season and really enjoyed it. Love me some good drug storylines. I'm about four episodes into season 2 and I'm not really feeling the dock storyline. Oh and Zigi might be the most annoying character ever.

All points balls on accurate. Getting to season 4 makes it all worth it.
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably my favorite scene of all time:  Snoop buys a Nail Gun NSFW Language.    

Good lord.

About halfway through "All The Pieces Matter," the oral history of The Wire. It is a treasure trove. If you're a fan of the show, I can't recommend this book more highly. Not sure how it would be as a

So, I watched the whole 5 seasons again two years ago while I was laid up after my surgery/chemo.... and after seeing you guys talk about this, decided to rewatch again this year. (I have 3 monitors at my computer, so just let them run on one while doing work). Already through season 1, three into season 2.

I still LOVE Season 1. Season 2 was, back in the day, what led me astray for a little while, but in hindsight it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Season 3, if I recall, was underrated especially compared to Season 4.

Finished off the first season and really enjoyed it. Love me some good drug storylines. I'm about four episodes into season 2 and I'm not really feeling the dock storyline. Oh and Zigi might be the most annoying character ever.

I think once it's all finished, you'll be glad you watched it.

:coffee: getting through it at the time seems like a chore, but it's definitely crucial to the series.

OH yeah. I remember thinking the exact same thing... how much I wanted to punch Zig in the face. But what an amazing character arc.

I agree that Ziggy is annoying and the way season 2 begins almost makes it feel like a totally different show. However, the season comes on like train down the stretch of Season 2. Epic stuff IMO.

I agree that Ziggy is annoying and the way season 2 begins almost makes it feel like a totally different show. However, the season comes on like train down the stretch of Season 2. Epic stuff IMO.
:confused: and it's great how he kept the street drug story going while still focusing on the docks. Lots of setup for season 3, especially in the finale. Anyone else feel the Brother Mizzone character is a little too "out there"? Kind of a nerdy take that should have been a little more intimidating, imo.

sheeeeeeeit

A man's gotta have a code. No doubt.Season 3 was always sort of under the radar for me, partially because Season 4 was so excellent... but two of the best scenes in that - Omar + Brother, and the clip of Rawls in the bar.

Anyone else feel the Brother Mizzone character is a little too "out there"? Kind of a nerdy take that should have been a little more intimidating, imo.

Nah, that's the whole point. He's smart, ruthless. That's why I love the Omar + Brother scenes. Both smart and ruthless, no fear. One likes boys and the others a nerd... an deveryone else in B-More is terrified of them :lmao:

Anyone else feel the Brother Mizzone character is a little too "out there"? Kind of a nerdy take that should have been a little more intimidating, imo.

Nah, that's the whole point. He's smart, ruthless. That's why I love the Omar + Brother scenes. Both smart and ruthless, no fear. One likes boys and the others a nerd... an deveryone else in B-More is terrified of them :bye:
I also imagined some scenario where cops were looking for a killer, saw him and thought no way and moved on in their investigation. That guy would totally be under the radar in any city

:thumbup: getting through it at the time seems like a chore, but it's definitely crucial to the series.
:goodposting: dead on. I didnt like this season much when i first watched it. However, the 2nd time i watched it(after i completed the entire series) i liked it alot more. This season sets things up for seasons 3 and 4 so i think thats why it feels a bit slow. But like everyone has said, you will be glad you watched this season and be rewarded with seasons 3 and 4 which are simply amazing!

Nah, that's the whole point. He's smart, ruthless. That's why I love the Omar + Brother scenes. Both smart and ruthless, no fear. One likes boys and the others a nerd... an deveryone else in B-More is terrified of them :thumbup:
yea. their scenes are great.

Season 3 starts next Sunday on Directv 101. I'm not a big fan of this season due to the ridiculousness of Hamsterdam, but am still looking forward to watching it again.

Hamsterdam was based on fact.

Season 3 starts next Sunday on Directv 101. I'm not a big fan of this season due to the ridiculousness of Hamsterdam, but am still looking forward to watching it again.

Hamsterdam was based on fact.
I don't think so, but it was still awesome.
I think it's more accurate to say that it was inspired by real Baltimore politics, in particular this guy.

As mayor, he became known for his opposition to the "War on Drugs" and his stance in favor of drug decriminalization. Schmoke initiated programs in housing, education, public health and economic development. During his three terms in office Schmoke faced very serious challenges, including poor quality schools, drug addiction, and violent crime. Some of his controversial positions included advocating the decriminalization of drug use ...

UPS guy just brought the box set to my front door. :rolleyes:

4:3 aspect ratio? WTF!:wall:Gotta hope it's released on Blu Ray someday.
There's an explanation from simon (in here I think. Certainly somewhere on the net) that he shot it that way for a specific look, so I think that it will always be that way.

UPS guy just brought the box set to my front door. :D

4:3 aspect ratio? WTF!:lmao:Gotta hope it's released on Blu Ray someday.
Why are you slamming your head? That was the aspect ratio the show was shot in. You see exactly what the director wants you to see and exactly how it was originally shown on HBO.BluRay will have no relation to the aspect ratio. It was shot in 4:3 and will be displayed on all media types as 4:3 as it should be. If some one was idiotic enough to release this in 1.77:1 they should be shot as it would look moronic to say the least, Edited by NewlyRetired

UPS guy just brought the box set to my front door. :thumbup:

4:3 aspect ratio? WTF!

:wall:

Gotta hope it's released on Blu Ray someday.

Why are you slamming your head? That was the aspect ratio the show was shot in. You see exactly what the director wants you to see and exactly how it was originally shown on HBO.

BluRay will have no relation to the aspect ratio. It was shot in 4:3 and will be displayed on all media types as 4:3 as it should be.

If some one was idiotic enough to release this in 1.77:1 they should be shot as it would look moronic to say the least,

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9016/vlcs...81811h44m32.png

Doesn't look like 4:3 to me here.

Edited by Raider Nation

UPS guy just brought the box set to my front door. :thumbup:

4:3 aspect ratio? WTF!

:wall:

Gotta hope it's released on Blu Ray someday.

Why are you slamming your head? That was the aspect ratio the show was shot in. You see exactly what the director wants you to see and exactly how it was originally shown on HBO.

BluRay will have no relation to the aspect ratio. It was shot in 4:3 and will be displayed on all media types as 4:3 as it should be.

If some one was idiotic enough to release this in 1.77:1 they should be shot as it would look moronic to say the least,

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9016/vlcs...81811h44m32.png

Doesn't look like 4:3 to me here.

don't know what to tell you. Do some research. Simply google "The Wire Aspect Ratio"

You will see it was shot in 4:3. Any other format will crop the picture from what the director intended unless they future proofed it for 16:9 like Babylon 5 did.

Edited by NewlyRetired

This article explains it pretty well (note the article does mention that they did future proof when framing the shots)

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/inside-hbos-the-wire

"And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set."

Edited by NewlyRetired

This article may explain the pic you linked RN ( I don't know if this is true as I did not see the Direct TV broadcast of these to see if they were stretched)

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dwire071910.htm

Washington, D.C. (July 19, 2010) -- DIRECTV announced last April that it would air all five seasons of the HBO series The Wire in High-Definition for the first time.

DIRECTV last night debuted the first episode of The Wire, but it was definitely not in HD. Instead, DIRECTV stretched (or cropped) the program from its original 4:3 format (as it aired on HBO) to 16:9 so it would fill the entire screen, apparently trying to fool people into thinking it was in HD.

This article may explain the pic you linked RN ( I don't know if this is true as I did not see the Direct TV broadcast of these to see if they were stretched)

Washington, D.C. (July 19, 2010) -- DIRECTV announced last April that it would air all five seasons of the HBO series The Wire in High-Definition for the first time.

DIRECTV last night debuted the first episode of The Wire, but it was definitely not in HD. Instead, DIRECTV stretched (or cropped) the program from its original 4:3 format (as it aired on HBO) to 16:9 so it would fill the entire screen, apparently trying to fool people into thinking it was in HD.

that should be a ####ing crime

yeah, I did not see this but if it did happen as stated it was a truly awful decision. I hate when friggan foodTV does this with a meaningless show much less a work of art like The Wire.

Look, I didn't go to film school or anything and artsy stuff like what the director did doesn't offend me.I'm just a simple caveman who enjoys watching programs and movies in 16:9. That's why I have a HDTV. :unsure:

You should enjoy watching programs as they were originally intended to be shot. There is nothing worse than cropped or stretched pictures on a HD set (or any set for that matter).Your HD set should be used to watch all aspect ratio's from 2:40 all the way to 1.33 in their best glory.Just be careful how you complain. It is complaints from people who don't really understand what they are saying which forces idiots at the networks to crop or stretch because people are black bar phobic. You have no idea how long and hard many of us nerds fought back in the late 90's with the studios to get them to stop only releasing the full frame crap(on movies that had a much wider aspect ratio) on DVD's.None of this is artsy in any way. It is simply just watching the picture as was intended and not to have it distorted. Edited by NewlyRetired

Look, I didn't go to film school or anything and artsy stuff like what the director did doesn't offend me.I'm just a simple caveman who enjoys watching programs and movies in 16:9. That's why I have a HDTV. :unsure:

you'd rather watch a cropped picture than the whole thing?

Just finished season 4 for the first time. I really enjoyed it. Sad to see Bode get whacked. I really liked his character.

:shrug: I wasn't surprised, but I wasn't expecting it. I really liked Bode. I was rooting for him to survive.
It seems like anytime a character is ready to cross over from the dark side to the light to help dismantle the system they participated in, the universe keeps them from completing their conversion - Wallace, DeAngelo, Sobotka, Stringer, Bode... Nick is only one I can think of that is allowed to live

I know we've touched on this before, but am I the only one who finds it completely distracting when Dominic West goes from British accent to American accent to British accent and so on? Sometimes it happens in the same sentence. I find myself focusing on how he says something rather than on what he's saying.

By the fourth episode, the producers must have given up telling him to watch his accent.

Just finished season 4 for the first time. I really enjoyed it. Sad to see Bode get whacked. I really liked his character.

:confused: I wasn't surprised, but I wasn't expecting it. I really liked Bode. I was rooting for him to survive.
It seems like anytime a character is ready to cross over from the dark side to the light to help dismantle the system they participated in, the universe keeps them from completing their conversion - Wallace, DeAngelo, Sobotka, Stringer, Bode... Nick is only one I can think of that is allowed to live
Except for Bubbles I'd say. But Johnny would be a good example of what you said. Edit: And cutty? Edited by njherdfan

Just a humble.

I know we've touched on this before, but am I the only one who finds it completely distracting when Dominic West goes from British accent to American accent to British accent and so on? Sometimes it happens in the same sentence. I find myself focusing on how he says something rather than on what he's saying.

By the fourth episode, the producers must have given up telling him to watch his accent.

Not really.

Though I did love when he was faking a bad British accent :bag:

This was a tough scene to watch. Wallace got caught up in the game, but still. Give him a chance to get out of town and never show his face again while telling String they couldn't find him. Guess it wouldn't be the powerful show it is had they done that. :goodposting:

Incidentally, the actors who played "Bodie" and "Wallace" were friends before The Wire.

Michael B. Jordan auditioned for the role of Bodie. He was called back twice and the auditions went well, but he was turned down for the part because Fogel thought he was too young. The part went to Jordan's friend J. D. Williams, who grew up in the same hometown with Jordan in Newark, New Jersey. Jordan was asked instead to audition for the younger character Wallace, and was cast in the part.

:goodposting: I wasn't surprised, but I wasn't expecting it. I really liked Bode. I was rooting for him to survive.
I believe there was also at least one character killed in each season who was wrongly thought to be a snitch.

I've been reading this book: http://cathoderaytube.blogspot.com/2009/10...old-review.html

I'm only about a third of the way through, but it's a really good behind the scenes look at the series. They have episode summaries for all five seasons, but the real interesting part are the various essays interspersed throughout the book. Obviously, if you haven't finished the series yet, you'll want to beware of spoilers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've already seen every episode a few times. You know, first-run, then repeats, then On Demand... whatever. You manage to see them all two or three times. But since I got the box set delivered last week, I've been banging them out one after the next. Watched the first three seasons in the past 10 days. Doing it that way, it's amazing how much more stuff you catch that you might have missed before.

***Don't watch this if you haven't gotten through S3 yet***

This scene with Stringer and Avon from the end of season 3 was some great television.

:lmao:

I've already seen every episode a few times. You know, first-run, then repeats, then On Demand... whatever. You manage to see them all two or three times. But since I got the box set delivered last week, I've been banging them out one after the next. Watched the first three seasons in the past 10 days. Doing it that way, it's amazing how much more stuff you catch that you might have missed before.

***Don't watch this if you haven't gotten through S3 yet***

This scene with Stringer and Avon from the end of season 3 was some great television.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();

:)

I just finished S3, very good stuff. I'm definitely into this show. With all of the area Blockbusters shutting down, & hardly any rental places left, I may just have to buy the whole set.

BTW, :goodposting: at Omar calling Mouzone "Bow Tie."