What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (1 Viewer)

Didnt like Bodie at all when I first started watching (Season 1), but he became 1 of my 5 favorite characters of the show. Certainly the only character that is 1 of my favorites that I didnt like initially.
One of the best things about the show to me is how I went from hating Bodie after what happened to Wallace in season 1 to rooting for him in season 4. The amazing part is that Bodie didn't change. The character stayed the same and my viewpoint slowly changed if that makes sense.
Neither did the game. According to Slim at least

Didnt like Bodie at all when I first started watching (Season 1), but he became 1 of my 5 favorite characters of the show. Certainly the only character that is 1 of my favorites that I didnt like initially.
One of the best things about the show to me is how I went from hating Bodie after what happened to Wallace in season 1 to rooting for him in season 4. The amazing part is that Bodie didn't change. The character stayed the same and my viewpoint slowly changed if that makes sense.
:spitthroughteeth:

Nice piece by Klosterman on Grantland today

Because TV is so simultaneously personal (it exists inside your home) and so utterly universal (it exists inside everyone's home), people care about it with an atypical brand of conversational ferocity — they take it more personally than other forms of art, and they immediately feel comfortable speaking from a position of expertise. They develop loyalties to certain characters and feel offended when those loyalties are disparaged.

This is what makes arguing about these particular shows so intense and satisfying — even though most serious TV watchers enjoy (or at least appreciate) all four, they habitually feel a greater internal obligation to advocate the superiority of whichever title they love most. As a result, you hear people making damning, melodramatic criticisms of TV shows they ostensibly like.

You hear a lot of sentences that begin, "I love Mad Men, but …" or "The first two seasons of The Sopranos were great, but …" And whatever follows that "but" is inevitably crazy and hyperspecific. This is especially true among people who prefer The Wire. There's never been a more obstinate fan base than that of The Wire; it's a secular cult that refuses to accept any argument that doesn't classify The Wire as the greatest artistic endeavor in television history.

It's almost as if these people secretly believe this show actually happened, and that criticizing the storyline is like mocking an episode of Frontline. This was not a documentary about Baltimore: Wallace is not alive and playing high school football in Texas, Stringer Bell was not reincarnated as a Pennsylvania paper salesman, and you are not qualified to lecture on inner-city education because you own Season 4 on DVD. The citizens on that show were nonexistent composites, and the events you watched did not occur.

As a society, we must learn to accept this.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6763000/bad-decisions

Nice piece by Klosterman on Grantland today

Because TV is so simultaneously personal (it exists inside your home) and so utterly universal (it exists inside everyone's home), people care about it with an atypical brand of conversational ferocity — they take it more personally than other forms of art, and they immediately feel comfortable speaking from a position of expertise. They develop loyalties to certain characters and feel offended when those loyalties are disparaged.

This is what makes arguing about these particular shows so intense and satisfying — even though most serious TV watchers enjoy (or at least appreciate) all four, they habitually feel a greater internal obligation to advocate the superiority of whichever title they love most. As a result, you hear people making damning, melodramatic criticisms of TV shows they ostensibly like.

You hear a lot of sentences that begin, "I love Mad Men, but …" or "The first two seasons of The Sopranos were great, but …" And whatever follows that "but" is inevitably crazy and hyperspecific. This is especially true among people who prefer The Wire. There's never been a more obstinate fan base than that of The Wire; it's a secular cult that refuses to accept any argument that doesn't classify The Wire as the greatest artistic endeavor in television history.

It's almost as if these people secretly believe this show actually happened, and that criticizing the storyline is like mocking an episode of Frontline. This was not a documentary about Baltimore: Wallace is not alive and playing high school football in Texas, Stringer Bell was not reincarnated as a Pennsylvania paper salesman, and you are not qualified to lecture on inner-city education because you own Season 4 on DVD. The citizens on that show were nonexistent composites, and the events you watched did not occur.

As a society, we must learn to accept this.

The citizens on that show were nonexistent composites, and the events you watched did not occur. As a society, we must learn to accept this.
even if they are composites, the characters in the show are generally all based on real people. even though the specific events didn't happen, I think the realism of the show is what helps set it apart. So, not really sure I get his point here, other than looking for a way to ##### about fans of the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Homicide is well worth your time. Season 2 is where things pick up. Not to hijack but if looking for a new obsession on DVD is go with damages or BreakIng bad

'Fiddles said:
Homicide is well worth your time. Season 2 is where things pick up. Not to hijack but if looking for a new obsession on DVD is go with damages or BreakIng bad
i gave damages a try when it first aired. i didn't care for it. i gave season 2 a go before giving up on it. i like "breaking bad" a lot and got distracted in the middle of season 2. it's back in my queue but buried down at the bottom.

'jdoggydogg said:
favorite Wire character was Bodie. I was always hoping he'd find a way out...
Loved Bodie. To me, Bodie exemplifies this series. Yes, he's a criminal. But in a place where morality is a relative term, Bodie was one of the only characters that actually lived his creed.
exactly. through all the turmoil and change, you could always be sure of one thing...Bodie would be on his corner.
Yes. And I know this is twisted logic, but you could argue that Bodie was the most honorable character in the show.
Bodie was my ####### boy.I was crushed when Snoop got him.
Same here. That was a tragic episode.
Wasn't snoop the distraction while that new guy walked out of the alley and snuck up on Bodie?
Yes, I believe you're right.
I could be wrong, but I dont think they ever showed Snoop or Chris in that scene.

'jdoggydogg said:
Loved Bodie. To me, Bodie exemplifies this series. Yes, he's a criminal. But in a place where morality is a relative term, Bodie was one of the only characters that actually lived his creed.
exactly. through all the turmoil and change, you could always be sure of one thing...Bodie would be on his corner.
Yes. And I know this is twisted logic, but you could argue that Bodie was the most honorable character in the show.
Wasn't snoop the distraction while that new guy walked out of the alley and snuck up on Bodie?
I could be wrong, but I dont think they ever showed Snoop or Chris in that scene.
They showed them both.

'Please See Mine said:
'Deepster said:
2) Herc is pretty annoying, but once you realize that he is an idiot, he is much more bearable. Liked his storyline as the mayor's driver.
Great scene when Valcheck explains to him how to play the fact he caught the mayor screwing around. My link
no doubt.Valcheck is probably the most underrated character on the show.
I love the grudge Valchek has with Frank Sobotka. Valchek couldn't care the slightest about building a case against an international smuggling ring linked to murder, human trafficking, and illegal drugs; he just wants to see this pollack pay for one upping his stained glass window. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mCWSKbUXWik

nsfw

Idris Elba gets 2 Emmy nominations this year but none for Stringer Bell :lmao:
The work that HBO, Showtime, and AMC have been doing all these years is so much better than most network TV, it's pretty clear the Emmys are worthless at this point. If these awards were truly objective, the networks would get destroyed in most categories every year.

The work that HBO, Showtime, and AMC have been doing all these years is so much better than most network TV, it's pretty clear the Emmys are worthless at this point. If these awards were truly objective, the networks would get destroyed in most categories every year.
After The Wire failed to get any meaningful Emmy nominations for the 4th season, I sent them an email that might have accused the Emmy voters of being racist. I'll paraphrase the response I got back "We aren't racist, look at all the Emmys we gave to Roots". :mellow:

i gave damages a try when it first aired. i didn't care for it. i gave season 2 a go before giving up on it. i like "breaking bad" a lot and got distracted in the middle of season 2. it's back in my queue but buried down at the bottom.
For what it's worth, Breaking Bad was my "must watch" every week, even when up against other Simon shows that I loved like Generation Kill and Treme. Even over Dexter. Breaking Bad is GOOD ####.

Just finished. Fantastic :thumbup:

Thought it was very fitting how they had everyone following in the footsteps of other characters ie Micheal/Omar, Daquan/Bubbs, Carver/Colvin

ETA: Anyone read Snoop's memoirs, Grace After Midnight?

After The Wire failed to get any meaningful Emmy nominations for the 4th season, I sent them an email that might have accused the Emmy voters of being racist. I'll paraphrase the response I got back "We aren't racist, look at all the Emmys we gave to Roots". :mellow:
:lmao:

Thought it was very fitting how they had everyone following in the footsteps of other characters ie Micheal/Omar, Daquan/Bubbs, Carver/Colvin

Loved the finale and last few episodes, but it still bothers me how Omar got killed and that Kima ratted out McNulty. I can live with it, but I didnt like those 2 decisions.

Yup, she distracted him and Michael aced him.

Loved the finale and last few episodes, but it still bothers me how Omar got killed and that Kima ratted out McNulty. I can live with it, but I didnt like those 2 decisions.
I think Omar had to die. A big part of the show was how the nature of "the game" was cyclical, and how different characters would take over for those who died or left. I think Michael needed to fill Omar's shoes.

I think Omar had to die. A big part of the show was how the nature of "the game" was cyclical, and how different characters would take over for those who died or left. I think Michael needed to fill Omar's shoes.
I don't think anyone "had" to do anything. We saw the cyclical nature of things where people were replaced in roles who didn't die. Bubbles didn't die, and he was replaced as "the junkie" by Duquan.The take-away from Omar's death is just how saturated with violence inner cities like this are. He nearly survived two different/separate drug crews trying to kill him (although you could credit Marlo's gang with an assist, I suppose), but was taken out by a kid. Violence was everywhere.

It was always just a matter of time for Omar. That's the game he knew. I don't think they could have concluded the series with him still walking the streets as a survivor.

I had what passes for a celebrity sighting in Baltimore last night - David Simon was eating at the table next to ours. Baltimore might be the only city where he's famous enough that anyone even knows what he looks like. My wife saw Griggs in the produce section of Whole Foods back when they were filming the final season.

'Good said:
I don't think anyone "had" to do anything. We saw the cyclical nature of things where people were replaced in roles who didn't die. Bubbles didn't die, and he was replaced as "the junkie" by Duquan.The take-away from Omar's death is just how saturated with violence inner cities like this are. He nearly survived two different/separate drug crews trying to kill him (although you could credit Marlo's gang with an assist, I suppose), but was taken out by a kid. Violence was everywhere.
Omar is probably almost a hero that many don't want to admit to. If you ever lived in a bad neighborhood where drug dealers ruled, you know the cops aren't doing much. A guy like Omar would be the only one to stand up to these guys. (Not saying I ever knew of such a guy)There's something special about a guy that would walk down those dangerous streets with a shotgun kicking ... taking names. I doubt anyone that frequents these boards would do it. Schwarzenneger(sp?) or Stallone might in of their movies but there would be a shotgun with 10,000 shells somehow loaded into it and even some sort of explosive effect shells to it too_Omar's character had some HUGE cujones to do what he did.

'Kenny Powers said:
'Cliff Clavin said:

I had no problem with Omar dieing but the way it happened was pretty weak. I thought it would be Chris/Snoop/Micheal/Marlo that got him, not some 9 year old kid popping him from behind.Kima ratting McNulty out was to show the difference between good police and bad I thought. McNulty and Freeman seemed to think she did the right thing at the end.

'Kenny Powers said:
'Cliff Clavin said:

I had no problem with Omar dieing but the way it happened was pretty weak. I thought it would be Chris/Snoop/Micheal/Marlo that got him, not some 9 year old kid popping him from behind.Kima ratting McNulty out was to show the difference between good police and bad I thought. McNulty and Freeman seemed to think she did the right thing at the end.
That was the beauty of it, IMO. Here's this bad ### dude everyone's afraid of, knocking off the best of the best, and a 9 yr old who he doesn't fear ends up being the one to do it.

'Kenny Powers said:
'Cliff Clavin said:

I think the kid killing Omar was perfect, and illustrated just how brutal the game really is. In a sense, you can't hide from it.As a character, I don't think anyone wanted to see him die, but I do agree that it seems fitting that he did.

'Good said:
Omar is probably almost a hero that many don't want to admit to. If you ever lived in a bad neighborhood where drug dealers ruled, you know the cops aren't doing much. A guy like Omar would be the only one to stand up to these guys. (Not saying I ever knew of such a guy)There's something special about a guy that would walk down those dangerous streets with a shotgun kicking ... taking names. I doubt anyone that frequents these boards would do it. Schwarzenneger(sp?) or Stallone might in of their movies but there would be a shotgun with 10,000 shells somehow loaded into it and even some sort of explosive effect shells to it too_Omar's character had some HUGE cujones to do what he did.
It's in the script.Seriously, this kind of points out what that recently posted article was mentioning about fans almost acting as though it were real. It's a show... but somehow, it was more than a show.

That was the beauty of it, IMO. Here's this bad ### dude everyone's afraid of, knocking off the best of the best, and a 9 yr old who he doesn't fear ends up being the one to do it.
I think the kid killing Omar was perfect, and illustrated just how brutal the game really is. In a sense, you can't hide from it.

As a character, I don't think anyone wanted to see him die, but I do agree that it seems fitting that he did.
Yeah, I gotta agree with both of you. I think I just wanted to him to go out in a better way. Getting capped by a kid was pretty fitting for the show.Has there every been a show that has shifted its 'main' characters so easily? Killing them off after a couple seasons, locking them up, just ignoring them (McNulty in particular).

'Kenny Powers said:
'Cliff Clavin said:

That's what I was getting at. It's not that I had a problem with them killing him off, its how they did it. Sure, it fits the show in its overarching themes and lessons, but I thought he deserved a better death. I can see the irony of how he died, but not the beauty of it

'Kenny Powers said:
'Cliff Clavin said:

That's what I was getting at. It's not that I had a problem with them killing him off, its how they did it. Sure, it fits the show in its overarching themes and lessons, but I thought he deserved a better death. I can see the irony of how he died, but not the beauty of it
I don't think the Wire ever aimed to be beautiful. Also don't sleep on Kenard, kid always had balls of steel. He will be a force later in life, ruthless.

Omars death was fitting because if you were paying attention to the series he always let his guard down around kids.... that was his main weakness.

Omars death was fitting because if you were paying attention to the series he always let his guard down around kids.... that was his main weakness.
And, to top it off, the same kid that years earlier was running around the street pretending to be Omar after a big shootout in his neighborhood.

And, to top it off, the same kid that years earlier was running around the street pretending to be Omar after a big shootout in his neighborhood.
Yeah, it wasn't just some random kid. Kenard was in the game 100%. He was dealing for Michael and Marlo. His crew was held up at gunpoint by Omar. The fitting thing is that just as Omar ignored always kind of ignored Kenard, so did the audience. We never saw him for the threat he was. It was just as shocking to Omar that this kid killed him as it was for the audience.

I think the kid killing Omar was perfect, and illustrated just how brutal the game really is. In a sense, you can't hide from it.

As a character, I don't think anyone wanted to see him die, but I do agree that it seems fitting that he did.
Yeah, I gotta agree with both of you. I think I just wanted to him to go out in a better way. Getting capped by a kid was pretty fitting for the show.Has there every been a show that has shifted its 'main' characters so easily? Killing them off after a couple seasons, locking them up, just ignoring them (McNulty in particular).
McNulty's actor had a hiatus so he could do a side project in England which conflicted with a large portion of the shooting schedule.

Yeah, it wasn't just some random kid. Kenard was in the game 100%. He was dealing for Michael and Marlo. His crew was held up at gunpoint by Omar. The fitting thing is that just as Omar ignored always kind of ignored Kenard, so did the audience. We never saw him for the threat he was. It was just as shocking to Omar that this kid killed him as it was for the audience.
Yeah, I figured it would be something like that which would get Omar. I knew going in his death was inevitable so maybe I was watching for clues. Everything in the show had an arc and a circle which brought things around. Dealer circles rise and fall, individuals rise up and die and are replaced, the city, schools, politicians, and industry enable it and profit from it. No beginning and no end.

'Ilov80s said:
'The Noid said:
'Carver said:
IIRC, their crew got held up by Omar when he was still limping around with crutches, and Kenard made a comment about how Omar didn't look like much. That planted the seed in Kenard for him to take out Omar. Basically everyone in the neighborhood feared Omar except for this little kid.

Not reading anything to avoid spoilers, I accidentally caught one up in the thread and it partially ruined a scene for me only partial.

Just finished season 4 and while people said it was great I still think season 3 was a better overall season.

Quick question to anyone to answer. The finale of 4 was the girl with cuddy at the gym during the montage the nurse??

TIA..

just started season5. Only 10 episodes?

'Carver said:
Yes.Omar's death and who killed him is one of the show's masterstrokes.

Not reading anything to avoid spoilers, I accidentally caught one up in the thread and it partially ruined a scene for me only partial.Just finished season 4 and while people said it was great I still think season 3 was a better overall season. Quick question to anyone to answer. The finale of 4 was the girl with cuddy at the gym during the montage the nurse??TIA..just started season5. Only 10 episodes?
Writer's strike.

just started season5. Only 10 episodes?
Writer's strike.
I don't think this is true. From what I can tell, the show wrapped filming before the strike hit.I think it had something to do with the show not making much money for HBO. They probably cut the budget and Simon figured 10 episodes was enough to wrap things up.EDIT: filming wrapped on 9/1/2007. Strike began 11/5/2007.

Not reading anything to avoid spoilers, I accidentally caught one up in the thread and it partially ruined a scene for me only partial.Just finished season 4 and while people said it was great I still think season 3 was a better overall season. Quick question to anyone to answer. The finale of 4 was the girl with cuddy at the gym during the montage the nurse??TIA..just started season5. Only 10 episodes?
Yes, it was the nurse who initially wrote him off as a gangster when he came in after having been shot trying to pull Michael off the corner.

Users who are viewing this thread