What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (1 Viewer)

avoiding injuries said:
"The Corner" is airing on BET tonight at 8 if anyone is interested. I couldn't get into it, but wanted to give other people the chance...
thanks, I'll look for a re-airingAnyone know when the new episodes will come? I'll be especially anxious for them with the Shield and Sopranos winding down.

avoiding injuries said:
"The Corner" is airing on BET tonight at 8 if anyone is interested. I couldn't get into it, but wanted to give other people the chance...
Anyone know when the new episodes will come?
Late Fall or early next year is my guess.Wikipedia says season 5 production began 4/30/07:
Season 5HBO announced September 12, 2006, that they have commissioned a fifth and final season, ordering 13 episodes.[1] The season was later shortened to 10 episodes.[27] In an interview with Slate on December 1, 2006, David Simon said that season five will be about the media and consumers of media. The theme will be about "what stories get told and what don't and why it is that things stay the same." Journalism modeled after The Baltimore Sun will be a major focus. Profits and the decrease in the number of reporters will be an issue along with the end of aspiration for news quality.[2] In the same interview, Simon indicated that no theme seemed substantial enough to warrant a sixth season, except possibly the large influx of Latinos into Baltimore. Simon said that since no writer on the show spoke Spanish or had any intimate knowledge of the city's Latino population, the field work would be too cumbersome.On April 30, 2007, production for Season 5 officially began.

Side note : I have the last two discs of season 2 and all 5 Season 3s in my queue right now, but I don't see season 4 available. Is it not available to rent yet?
No, not yet. It's another great one though.
Rank the seasons for me so I can see where four might stack up. To me it's 3, 1, 2 but I think most people liked 2 more than one.
that's a really tough question. I don't think I can answer it. All 4 seasons were equally awesome to me...but McNulty seems to play a smaller role in season 4, so I think that hurts it a little.
True, but the 8th graders' stories were so good it made up for it really. I don't think there was any type of drop off. You really got a glimpse of life for these kids. I cant rank the seasons either really.
:bye: And this series is designed for you not to fall in love with the characters, but the stories. Omar, McNulty, Bunk, Bodie - all great characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn this show is away until 2008, stop bumping this thread, i keep thinking it will be back sooner

Cant wait
From Wikipedia:
On April 30, 2007, production for Season 5 officially began. It is expected to premiere in September.
I just finished up w/ season 4 tonight. Awesome stuff. Chris and Snoop are probably the most cold blooded characters I've ever seen on TV. Just cold. I hope to find out more about what motivates them in Season 5.

Don't expect big changes from HBO without Chris Albrecht at the helm, his replacements pledged Thursday at the network's Television Critics Assn. presentation.

Co-president Richard Plepler and Michael Lombardo, president of the programming group and West Coast operations, are staying the course set by Albrecht, who was ousted in May.

"I consider Chris a friend, and it's been a very difficult transition with him not being with the company," Lombardo said. "The genius of Chris was he assembled an unbelievable group of programmers who all remain. It feels like we are just continuing to do the work we have been doing."

But Plepler acknowledged that HBO isn't likely to outdo "The Sopranos."

"The issue with 'The Sopranos' is, it's such a transcendent thing, an iconic piece of work, (that) everyone asks the question, 'What's next?' " he said. "Truthfully, nothing will ever top 'The Sopranos.' "

Still, HBO is putting its best foot forward on the series front. The network said it has teamed with "American Idol" creator/executive producer Simon Fuller for an American version of the hit BBC comedy "Little Britain."

The much anticipated 10-episode sixth season of Larry David's comedy "Curb Your Enthusiasm" will launch Sept. 9 and will run in the Sunday 10 p.m. time slot. During the "Curb" TCA session, David indicated that he hasn't decided whether the series will continue beyond the coming season and that the season finale leaves that door open.

Preceding the "Curb" season premiere is the debut of HBO's new racy drama "Tell Me You Love Me," which will run in the signature 9-10 p.m. time period.

Much of the discussion in the session devoted to "Love Me" centered on its graphic sex scenes, which HBO entertainment president Carolyn Strauss defended as key to a series that strives to capture the reality of relationships.

"I know the sex is getting enormous amounts of attention, but you really can't tell the story of intimacy without sex as an important part of your took kit," she said. "If you're not doing that honestly, you're not telling the story."

Just in time for the 2008 presidential elections, HBO has renewed "Real Time With Bill Maher" for a sixth season. The show returns for the second half of its fifth season Aug. 24; Season 6 is slated to kick off in 2008.

One deviation from the Albrecht playbook that spurred questions from TCA critics: The execs waffled on plans set by their predecessor to produce a pair of movies that would wrap up the story line of the canceled series "Deadwood." Plepler put the odds for greenlighting a film at "50-50," citing the fact that members of the cast are committed to other projects and the willingness of the series' creator, David Milch, to pursue it.

"If David is game for this and we can figure it out, we'll figure it out," Lombardo said.

Another factor that will play a part in resuming production in "Deadwood" will be the fate of Milch's new series, "John From Cincinnati," which Plepler spoke supportively of but stopped short of a renewal announcement.

"The show is really finding an audience, and the audience is staying consistent," he said. "I think it's important to see where it goes, where David takes us, and we'll make that decision at the end of the season."

As for other returning favorites, Plepler noted that "The Wire" will come back for its final season in the first quarter of next year.

The Wire

"The Wire" is not just considered one of the greatest TV shows of all time. It's simply a classic work of art, by any standard in any creative field. The HBO drama getting only one nomination in its four-season history is like "The Godfather" getting one measly Oscar nomination. It's not just wrong, it shows an institutional inability (or even unwillingness) to recognize true greatness.

I just finished watching Season 3 the other day, the only one I hadn't yet seen. All I can say is...wow. Best show on TV.

hell yes

also Omar, D'Angelo's mom (avons sister), Johnny (bubs junky bud), Bodie are all on that new Donnie Wahlberg/John Leguziamo show on spike. Its called Kill Point and is filmed in Pittsburgh. :shrug:

hell yesalso Omar, D'Angelo's mom (avons sister), Johnny (bubs junky bud), Bodie are all on that new Donnie Wahlberg/John Leguziamo show on spike. Its called Kill Point and is filmed in Pittsburgh. :shrug:
Thanks for the info. Will be going on the TIVO To Do list immediately.

RedmondLonghorn said:
Fiddles said:
hell yesalso Omar, D'Angelo's mom (avons sister), Johnny (bubs junky bud), Bodie are all on that new Donnie Wahlberg/John Leguziamo show on spike. Its called Kill Point and is filmed in Pittsburgh. :lmao:
Thanks for the info. Will be going on the TIVO To Do list immediately.
to save others little time looking for Kill Point- its on Sunday nights, four episodes, two different

http://athousandcorners.blogspot.com/

In a cruel example of life imitating art, the younger brother of Ralph Anwan Glover (Slim Charles) was gunned down two blocks south of the Columbia Heights Metro stop in Washington D.C. last Thursday. Tayon Glover, 29, was killed in the area he and his brother grew up in.

According to the article in the Washington Post about the shooting, Tayon had had several brushes with the law but was trying to get his life straight when the shooting happened.

Like many of the actors on the show, the elder Glover and his brother had taken a hands-on role in empowering their community and it's incredibly tragic to see this happen.

In more upbeat news, Lance Reddick (Lt. Daniels), will be joining the cast of "Lost" this season. "Lost" has a good crew of writers - they've been able to do a lot with the premise - so I'll be curious to see how he fits in.

Someone posted a rumor that Steve Earle would be performing the "Down in the Hole" official Wire theme song for Season 5. And... the rumors are true. The song won't be commercially released until Sept. 25. If anybody has an in into listening to the song sooner please let me know. I'm still waiting to get my hands on the Season Four version.

I was on a Delta flight a couple weeks ago and they ran a behind the scenes special on HBO shows. The Wire was one of the shows they concentrated on. It was so odd to see Bubs and Chris talk as themselves. I couldn't get their characters out of my mind when I saw them. Chris was very giddy and articulate, exact opposite of the stone cold killer he plays. And seeing Bubs as anything other than a junkie was just weird.

Can't wait for the show to start!!!

they wrapped the final episode and the big bummer is that the final season is only 10 episodes :)

the finale is 90 mins though

This season, which begins airing Jan. 6, explores the media, featuring a morally challenged reporter played by Tom McCarthy, who wrote and directed the indie film "The Station Agent." :thumbup: love that movie!http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7090201454.html

Season five - how soon?

They really kind of left us in the middle of a ton of storylines with little resolution @ the end of season 4 (unlike the ends of season 1-3, which were all wrapped up nicely), but I hope they go back to more of the investigative police work and the adult storylines.

Pretty sure Season 4 is out on DVD in early December. You can pre-order it on Amazon now, for December release.

Season 5 (final season) should follow in January.

The Wire - The Complete Fourth Season (2005)

Starring: Stephen Zaleski, Michael Stone Forrest Director: Daniel Attias

List Price: $59.99

Price: $38.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

You Save: $21.00 (35%)

Pre-Order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and release date, you'll receive the lowest price. See Details

Availability: This title will be released on December 4, 2007. Pre-order now! Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Pre-Order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and release date, you'll receive the lowest price. See Details

Availability: This title will be released on December 4, 2007. Pre-order now! Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Going to order this today!

Going to order this today!
Just did. I got a bad bootleg copy and decided to wait for the real article.

Someone sent me this today. Good read.

The Wire

One of my favorite parts:

Filming on city streets in marginal neighborhoods carries its peculiar risks and rewards. On one occasion, a car involved in a high-speed chase smashed into one of the actors’ cars, and everybody had to dive out of the way. Another time, a man got shot yards away, staggered onto the set trailing blood, and was treated by the show’s medic. Once, a man pressed a package of heroin into the hands of Andre Royo, the actor who plays the sympathetic junkie and police informant Bubbles, saying, “Man, you need a fix more than I do.” Royo refers to that moment as his “street Oscar.”

The Wire

Filming on city streets in marginal neighborhoods carries its peculiar risks and rewards. On one occasion, a car involved in a high-speed chase smashed into one of the actors’ cars, and everybody had to dive out of the way. Another time, a man got shot yards away, staggered onto the set trailing blood, and was treated by the show’s medic. Once, a man pressed a package of heroin into the hands of Andre Royo, the actor who plays the sympathetic junkie and police informant Bubbles, saying, “Man, you need a fix more than I do.” Royo refers to that moment as his “street Oscar.”
Ah, home sweet home.

The Wire

Filming on city streets in marginal neighborhoods carries its peculiar risks and rewards. On one occasion, a car involved in a high-speed chase smashed into one of the actors’ cars, and everybody had to dive out of the way. Another time, a man got shot yards away, staggered onto the set trailing blood, and was treated by the show’s medic. Once, a man pressed a package of heroin into the hands of Andre Royo, the actor who plays the sympathetic junkie and police informant Bubbles, saying, “Man, you need a fix more than I do.” Royo refers to that moment as his “street Oscar.
Sweet

The Wire

Filming on city streets in marginal neighborhoods carries its peculiar risks and rewards. On one occasion, a car involved in a high-speed chase smashed into one of the actors’ cars, and everybody had to dive out of the way. Another time, a man got shot yards away, staggered onto the set trailing blood, and was treated by the show’s medic. Once, a man pressed a package of heroin into the hands of Andre Royo, the actor who plays the sympathetic junkie and police informant Bubbles, saying, “Man, you need a fix more than I do.” Royo refers to that moment as his “street Oscar.
Sweet
Bubbles at the end of season 4 made me pretty sad.Drugs are bad mmm'kay?

i watched season 1(i liked it) but never watch after that. I am thinking about getting season 2,3 and 4 from Netflix, is season2,3 and 4 as good as the first season

Just finished Season 3. Season 4 is next month on On Demand, then it's on to the final season. I can't get enough of this show.

TexanFan02 said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Drugs are bad mmm'kay?
Haven't seen season 4 yet so I wish I wouldn't have read that.
It's ok. It probably doesn't mean what you think it does, and you can still be surprised.
:hifive:
Ok thanks. I like this thread a lot, just don't want to lose anything from season 4 as you might imagine. Just watched seasons 1,2, and 3 for the third time over the past few weeks in preparation for my delivery of season 4 in a couple of weeks. Still rank them 3, 1, 2 because three has characters like Slim Charles, more of Butch and Omar, and the best ending of the seasons. I kind of know what season 4 is about but as long as it's good I don't care because it will all be new. And several of you already said it was good. :pickle:Hey whatever happened with Freeman and the dancer from seasons 1 and 2? Is that addressed in season 4? Also the Kima lesbo scene from season 3 is the best sex moment of the first three seasons IMO. If you slow-mo it you won't regret it. :X

fsufan said:
i watched season 1(i liked it) but never watch after that. I am thinking about getting season 2,3 and 4 from Netflix, is season2,3 and 4 as good as the first season
I thought Season 2 was really interesting, although the general consensus is that it's the weakest season. Even so, it's still a lot more compelling than almost anything else, and you'll be able to follow the plot lines in 3-4 a lot easier.

fsufan said:
I thought Season 2 was really interesting, although the general consensus is that it's the weakest season. Even so, it's still a lot more compelling than almost anything else, and you'll be able to follow the plot lines in 3-4 a lot easier.
Agree. Season 2 was super high quality television, but I didn't like it as much as the other three. It did introduce a couple of very memorable characters though.

fsufan said:
Agree. Season 2 was super high quality television, but I didn't like it as much as the other three. It did introduce a couple of very memorable characters though.
As a whole, I thought Season 2 was excellent. Frank, Ziggy, and Nick Sobotka, Horse Face, Major Valchek, the Greeks (and "The Russian"), the female port officer (who I thought was hot in a girl next door kind of way), etc were all very memorable characters. My favorite part so far has been the way that each season leads into and sets up the next season.

Heard a good interview on NPR last night with one of the show's writers. I guess it originally broadcasted last year. They did mention that Season 5 would be about the media, though. Can't wait! :confused:

As a whole, I thought Season 2 was excellent. Frank, Ziggy, and Nick Sobotka, Horse Face, Major Valchek, the Greeks (and "The Russian"), the female port officer (who I thought was hot in a girl next door kind of way), etc were all very memorable characters. My favorite part so far has been the way that each season leads into and sets up the next season.
I have caught the first 3 seasons on DVD so was able to tear through them. I spent the first half of Season Two thinking that it wasn't as good as Season One - and being remotely disappointed. But then, something about the last 4 or so episodes really hit me and I thought it was some of the best TV I'd seen. Frank Sobotka was one of my favorite characters so far.Here's to Season 4 coming out on Tuesday!

Wire Prequels

Includes:

Young Prop Joe, 1962

Young Omar, 1985

Bunk and McNulty first meet, 2000.
great find gonna watch these tonight. thanks manfound a couple of andre royo interviews:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tvguide/342201_tvgif4.html

http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stories/20...in3550223.shtml

When we read the pilot all of us thought this is the most boring-est cop show we ever saw! We thought, "A cop show on HBO — we're going to be shooting everybody, a lot of sex, it's cable!" All of a sudden we got into this dialogue with just the cops and the lawyers and the politicians — even the drug dealers. We thought, "Oh, this is not going to make it."
:lol:
TVGuide.com: Is there any more you can tell me about the final season? The theme is going to revolve around the media, right?

Royo: As you know, The Wire has at least 30 themes. Last year it was told from the side of [producer] Ed Burns who was a Baltimore cop turned teacher. This season is how [series creator] David Simon saw what was going on from the media's side. We'll see how a story can dictate how fast the cops move or how the cops use the newspaper to get things moving on their end. There are all these different facets of how the media plays into the law game. And then you got the classic Marlo vs. Omar… that battle. And then, you know, you got Bubs.
:wall:

Users who are viewing this thread