What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Plays of the Week (1 Viewer)

cracKer

Shawn Culcasi
Roman Harper, SS-NO: 11 solo tackles and a sack in two games. Harper gets the Atlanta Falcons this week who, according to Clayton's FP Scored/Allowed, present the second best matchup for defensive backs. Through two weeks the opposing strong safeties v. Atlanta have been Shaun Williams of Carolina (10 tackles, 8 solo) and the Buccaneers' Jermaine Phillips (13 tackles, 12 solo, 2 FF, FR).

Other defensive backs to look for are Charles Tillman and Ed Reed. In his last three games against the Vikings Tillman has posted 23 solo tackles 2 interceptions, 5 passes defended and a forced fumble. Reed, looking for his first interception of the year (outside of his week one pick, of course :) ), has picked off five balls in eight career games versus Cleveland.

Will Witherspoon, MLB-STL: Witherspoon has gotten off to a great start with 18 solo tackles and 2 FF in two games (a perfectly balanced 9 and 1 in each). Arizona presents the second best matchup of the week for opposing linebackers (behind Miami) and W² has a history against the Cardinals, picking up a career 12 solo tackles with a sack during an '04 contest. Middle linebackers against Arizona this year have been Derek Smith (9 tackles, 8 solo) and Lofa Tatupu (12 tackles, 6 solo).

In regards to Miami, the top LB matchup, look for Keith Bulluck to have a big play of some sort. The Dolphins have allowed four sacks and two interceptions in two weeks to opposing linebackers.

If the New York Giants had a quality under tackle, they'd be the prime candidate here for defensive line. The Seahawks have been burned in each of the first two weeks by an opposing defensive tackle, Shaun Rogers in the opener with 5 solo tackles and two sacks, Darnell Dockett last week with 12 tackles (8 solo) and one sack. Good news for Fred Robbins, who has six solos and a sack on the year.

The best DL matchup for this is shared by Minnesota (v. Chicago) and Washington (@ Houston). I'll take the grudge match.

Kevin Williams, DT-MIN: After getting blanked in the opener Kevin Williams came back with four solo tackles and a sack last week. In his last five games versus the Bears, Williams has picked up 20 solo tackles, 6.5 sacks and two recovered fumbles. Chicago has done a good job of limiting sacks to opposing defensive linemen, giving up just one over the first two games, but those eight total linemen have combined for 27 solo tackles. Expect much of the same from Williams with 5 solos and a sack.

Andre Carter in Washington has a good chance to pick up his first sack of the year against a Texans team which has allowed four sacks by opposing defensive linemen in each game thus far (Trent Cole and Robert Mathis with 2 a piece, Raheem Brock with 1.5, JeVon Kearse and Juqua Thomas with one each, Bo Schobel with 1/2).

Last edited by a moderator:
you think Reed makes a better play the Madieu Williams this week?
Safeties have been pretty quiet versus Pittsburgh this year, but so has Ed Reed. I'd place Williams with 4-5 solo tackles this week, Reed with 2-4 tackles and a pick. Not sure how that works out with you system, but it probably gives Reed the slight edge. Is Kaesviharn taking over for Jackson at SS?

you think Reed makes a better play the Madieu Williams this week?
Safeties have been pretty quiet versus Pittsburgh this year, but so has Ed Reed. I'd place Williams with 4-5 solo tackles this week, Reed with 2-4 tackles and a pick. Not sure how that works out with you system, but it probably gives Reed the slight edge. Is Kaesviharn taking over for Jackson at SS?
Yep.
not sure but he piled up a lot of solos last year.
Different situation this season. Kaesviharn isn't a bad fill-in option, especially if the Steelers get their ground game going, but long-term Kaesviharn doesn't have great value. Ohalete was the other safety last season and he looked like he was arm tackling Sasquatch much of the time.Madieu Williams will pick up nearly all run and pass blitz responsibilities and is much more likely to be around the ball.

Kris Jenkins
Any reason in particular? Tampa has given up just four sacks on the year (87 pass attempts), three of which were to Ravens linebackers (the other by ATL DT Rod Coleman). Jenkins has recorded over four solo tackles just once in his career (37 games), so a breakout game tackle-wise is unlikely.

Kris Jenkins
Any reason in particular? Tampa has given up just four sacks on the year (87 pass attempts), three of which were to Ravens linebackers (the other by ATL DT Rod Coleman). Jenkins has recorded over four solo tackles just once in his career (37 games), so a breakout game tackle-wise is unlikely.
I should have put "Sleeper" in my post. I think with the interior O-line for T.B. not all intact that he can make a few plays. He had one sack last week against better interior linemen. I feel TB will need to continue to pass a lot and he should have a solid game.

cracKer said:
Reed, looking for his first interception of the year, has picked off five balls in eight career games versus Cleveland.
Reed had an INT in week 1 vs the Bucs.Bullocks and Harper both had good games against the Browns in week 1 (combined for 10 solos, 1 asst, 1 sack, 1 INT, 1 PD), but last week the Bengals safeties combined for just 6 solos, 2 assists, and a PD against them. Obviously, Reed's fantasy value relies heavily on big plays, so he's a high risk/high reward play this week and is probably only worth a look if you think he'll come up with another pick. When you combine how dominant the Ravens front 7 is playing right now along with the pathetic Browns running game, Reed should have a tough time finding many tackle opportunities this week.

Kevin Williams, DT-MIN: After getting blanked in the opener Kevin Williams came back with four solo tackles and a sack last week. In his last five games versus the Bears, Williams has picked up 20 solo tackles, 6.5 sacks and two recovered fumbles. Chicago has done a good job of limiting sacks to opposing defensive linemen, giving up just one over the first two games, but those eight total linemen have combined for 27 solo tackles. Expect much of the same from Williams with 5 solos and a sack.
Hmmm I am suprised this is considered the best Dline play of the week?I like Shawn Rogers against Green Bays weak offensive guards. I also like Kyle Vanden Bosh against the Dolphins and Culpepper. Simeon Rice against Gross playing out of position could be another good matchup.I hope that Kevin Williams goes off against the Bears. I am just suprised that he is considered the best matchup of all Dlinemen for week 3.

Hmmm I am suprised this is considered the best Dline play of the week?I like Shawn Rogers against Green Bays weak offensive guards. I also like Kyle Vanden Bosh against the Dolphins and Culpepper. Simeon Rice against Gross playing out of position could be another good matchup.

I hope that Kevin Williams goes off against the Bears. I am just suprised that he is considered the best matchup of all Dlinemen for week 3.
It's nothing more than the one I selected, based heavily on Williams' recent production v. Chicago. I shied away from Rice with news of his injury and the fact that he was shut out in both Carolina games a year ago. Rogers is also a great play. The matchup is there as is the recent production (2 sacks week one, a sack in each game last year v. Packers).

cracKer said:
Reed, looking for his first interception of the year, has picked off five balls in eight career games versus Cleveland.
Reed had an INT in week 1 vs the Bucs.
I'm such as idiot. That isn't the first time this week that I've missed Reed's interception when researching. All of the zeros in his statline must be blinding me :D

Hmmm I am suprised this is considered the best Dline play of the week?I like Shawn Rogers against Green Bays weak offensive guards. I also like Kyle Vanden Bosh against the Dolphins and Culpepper. Simeon Rice against Gross playing out of position could be another good matchup.

I hope that Kevin Williams goes off against the Bears. I am just suprised that he is considered the best matchup of all Dlinemen for week 3.
It's nothing more than the one I selected, based heavily on Williams' recent production v. Chicago. I shied away from Rice with news of his injury and the fact that he was shut out in both Carolina games a year ago. Rogers is also a great play. The matchup is there as is the recent production (2 sacks week one, a sack in each game last year v. Packers).
Dag I didn't know Rice is hurting too. Tampa really got steam rolled by Atlanta. Those cut blocks are nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread