What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marty Schottenheimer is one of the top 10 coaches in the NFL (1 Viewer)

SSOG

This spun off from the Antonio Gates thread, and rather than continue to hijack, I made a new thread.

Just Win Baby said:
A great coach does not stick around for 20+ years or whatever Shotty has been involved in the game if he was not one of the best at the time. Any notion that he is not worthy of coaching a team has not seen the stats his players are able to put up and the "W's" they put up with it. Shotty is clearly in the top 10 coaches in the league currently.
Really? Which of the coaches I listed below would you choose Marty over to coach your NFL team?
I challenge you to name me 10 coaches who are better than Schottenheimer. Go on, try.
It obviously depends on what you mean by "better". I'll choose to look at it like I'm drafting a coach to coach my team for three years, because that eliminates any age factor. In no particular order, I'd prefer: Cowher, Shanahan, Belicheck, Parcells, Holmgren, Reid, Fox, Gibbs, Dungy, Del Rio, Lewis, Gruden, and Fisher, at minimum, and maybe Billick and Saban, too. And I'm not sure that's all, without looking at it more closely.
I'd prefer Cowher, Shanny, Belichick, and Reid. Those 4 are the stone-cold no-brainers, since I think they're the 4 best coaches in the league at the moment.I would prefer Schottenheimer to Saban and Billick. Those 2 are also stone-cold no-brainers. Billick is drastically overrated, with a lower winning percentage and more losing seasons in the last 8 years than Schotty's had in 21 (and Schotty has had a lot of WORSE teams than Billick, since as I mentioned, he keeps taking over reclamation projects). As for Saban... come on, he's coached 20 games, and has a .500 record (10-10). It's a little bit too early to start anointing him a savior already.

I think Gruden and Fisher are solid coaches, but I'd prefer Schottenheimer. Gruden's Buccaneers have been perennial underachievers. Fisher has 4 winning seasons in 13 years. Yes, Fisher has been handicapped by a very bad front office, but that front office wasn't *ALWAYS* bad (at one point in time, more starting players in the NFL were drafted by Tennessee than any other franchise), and my point is that Schottenheimer has historically taken poor talent and gotten solid results from it, something Fisher has yet to do. When Tennessee sportswriters call the Titans the worst team on their own schedule, they don't run off a 12-4 season to shut the critics up.

I'd take Schottenheimer over Del Rio and Marvin Lewis. Both are very solid coaches, but neither has really done anything to date (28 and 30 career wins, respectively), and both have a worse career winning percentage. Both coaches could have won a coach of the year award every single season they were coaching in the league, and they'd still only have as many as Marty has.

Parcells and Holmgren... this one's tougher. On the one hand, with Holmgren, I'm reminded of all of the years of mediocrity the Seahawks went through... but on the other hand, they were never bad during those years, and they're dominant now. I'd take Holmgren over Schotty. If it were for a 1-year coaching job, I'd take Parcells over Schotty, but given all of the drama that surrounds Parcells, I'd rather have Schottenheimer signed to a 5-year contract than Bill.

Gibbs. This one's easy- if you're in the Hall of Fame, you're ranked above Marty Schottenheimer... although Gibbs could have this status revoked if Washington doesn't keep playing strong, because I'm still not 100% sure that Gibbs is as good of a coach now as he was his first time around.

Who am I forgetting from your list? Just Tony Dungy? This one's another easy one. I'd take Dungy over Schottenheimer. Dungy's taken on two reclamation projects and done as well with both of them as Schottenheimer ever did. His winning percentage is sterling, his consistancy is sterling, and he's dealt with a TON of roster turnover so we know it's not a fluke.

I'll throw out another name you haven't mentioned yet- Lovie Smith. I'd be veeeery tempted to take Lovie Smith over Schottenheimer. I know, I know, it's a little bit hypocritical to take Schotty over Lewis/Del Rio because they haven't shown me enough, and then turn around and say I might take Lovie over Schotty... but I think Lovie has created a stronger turnaround than Del Rio or Lewis has, and I *LOVE* what Lovie did as a defensive coordinator. I dunno, maybe it's just a mancrush, but I like Lovie a lot as a head coach. If it really came down to it, I'd take Schottenheimer though, because he's got a much stronger resume (3 CoY awards with 3 different teams), and Lovie Smith really hasn't dealt with any extreme roster turnover. That's a big factor in my mind- anyone can look like a good coach if he has some great talent (Barry Switzer, George Seifert, Bill Callahan), but the BEST coaches will keep on looking good as they turn their entire roster over- and nobody has produced with as many different rosters as Schottenheimer.

So, here are the coaches I'd take over Schotty:

Belichick, Shanahan, Cowher, Reid, Dungy, Holmgren, Gibbs, MAYBE Parcells (if it was a 1-year deal). That's about it.

Did I forget anyone? Is there anyone that you disagree with, or question my reasoning on? I'm more than happy to engage in a very nice, calm, rational discussion of this matter. Or you can call me names and engage in a long series of ad hominem attacks. I don't mind, really- it's always nice to know who the tools are so I can ignore them in advance. :)

too much to read about a boring coach who's never won anything of real significance. sorry. :shrug:

Agreed, he is top 10.

I would take these guys above him:

BB

Cower

Reid

Shanny

Fox

L. Smith

Parcells

Gibbs

Del Rio (I'm starting to love this guy)

Barely in my top 10, but there. He is on very thin ice to stay there however.

too much to read about a boring coach who's never won anything of real significance. sorry. :shrug:
Meh, he was two "capital letter" moments away from being in two straight superbowls. Without "The Drive" and "The Fumble"- historical outliers of such magnitude that they're forever referred to with capital letters- I suspect the perception of Schottenheimer would be drastically different. Especially if he'd managed to win one of the two SBs.It's not Marty's fault that Bynar forgot to hang on to the ball, or that Elway decided to teach the rest of the world what a "perfect drive" looked like.I'm actually surprised that everyone seems to agree with me here. With as much vitriol as some fans direct at Schotty and "Martyball", I expected a more negative response.

I don't think that most Chargers fans will say that Schottenmeimer is a bad coach, even as annoyed as we are right now. He's obviously had a lot of success in his coaching career and he does a lot of things right. However, there are a lot of different elements to coaching. He excels in some of them, but I do think he falls glaringly short in other areas. I don't know how many Chargers games you've watched over the last couple of years, but it's not an exaggeration to say that Schottenheimer seems to play not to lose rather than playing to win.

There was simply no excuse for the way he managed the game on Sunday. The Chargers dominated the game, and were moving the ball well, yet Schottenheimer called plays as if the Chargers were up by mutiple TD's, rather than 6 points. If you watch him in key situations, it really does appear that his playoff failings have gotten inside his head, and he refuses to put a team away if it means taking even the smallest risk. He did the same thing in the Chargers playoff loss to the Jets a couple of years ago. Consider this statistic: the Chargers were 0-5 in games decided by 4 points or less last season. I'm sorry, but that has something to do with the coaching.

Do I think Schottenheimer's a good coach and that the Chargers will finish with a great record this season? Absolutely. Do I think they have the talent to win the Super Bowl? Absolutely. Do I think the Chargers will win the Super Bowl with Marty Schottenheimer as head coach? No.

Meh, he was two "capital letter" moments away from being in two straight superbowls. Without "The Drive" and "The Fumble"- historical outliers of such magnitude that they're forever referred to with capital letters- I suspect the perception of Schottenheimer would be drastically different. Especially if he'd managed to win one of the two SBs.It's not Marty's fault that Bynar forgot to hang on to the ball, or that Elway decided to teach the rest of the world what a "perfect drive" looked like.I'm actually surprised that everyone seems to agree with me here. With as much vitriol as some fans direct at Schotty and "Martyball", I expected a more negative response.
i don't disagree that he's a borderline top 10 coach... i just thought it was a lot to read about a polarizing subject that there will be no real agreement on.

I don't think that most Chargers fans will say that Schottenmeimer is a bad coach, even as annoyed as we are right now. He's obviously had a lot of success in his coaching career and he does a lot of things right. However, there are a lot of different elements to coaching. He excels in some of them, but I do think he falls glaringly short in other areas. I don't know how many Chargers games you've watched over the last couple of years, but it's not an exaggeration to say that Schottenheimer seems to play not to lose rather than playing to win. There was simply no excuse for the way he managed the game on Sunday. The Chargers dominated the game, and were moving the ball well, yet Schottenheimer called plays as if the Chargers were up by mutiple TD's, rather than 6 points. If you watch him in key situations, it really does appear that his playoff failings have gotten inside his head, and he refuses to put a team away if it means taking even the smallest risk. He did the same thing in the Chargers playoff loss to the Jets a couple of years ago. Consider this statistic: the Chargers were 0-5 in games decided by 4 points or less last season. I'm sorry, but that has something to do with the coaching. Do I think Schottenheimer's a good coach and that the Chargers will finish with a great record this season? Absolutely. Do I think they have the talent to win the Super Bowl? Absolutely. Do I think the Chargers will win the Super Bowl with Marty Schottenheimer as head coach? No.
I agree that Schottenheimer "plays not to lose", but you have to admit... "playing not to lose" has a pretty strong history of success. What's Cowher's record in games where he has a 10 point lead?
i don't disagree that he's a borderline top 10 coach... i just thought it was a lot to read about a polarizing subject that there will be no real agreement on.
I agree that it's a lot to read, but we were having the discussion in another thread, and I wanted to answer the question but I didn't want to keep hijacking the thread from its original topic (Antonio Gates), so a new thread was born. :)

Schottenheimer is an excellent organizer and motivator. I'd love to have him coaching a young team that's rebuilding.

I think he's a poor gameday coach and I think that he seizes up in pressure situations and then makes horrible decisions. This of course means that he's got problems in the playoffs.

He's won a lot of NFL games and for that I sincerely respect him. I recognize, however, that his success is limited.

This spun off from the Antonio Gates thread, and rather than continue to hijack, I made a new thread.

Just Win Baby said:
A great coach does not stick around for 20+ years or whatever Shotty has been involved in the game if he was not one of the best at the time. Any notion that he is not worthy of coaching a team has not seen the stats his players are able to put up and the "W's" they put up with it. Shotty is clearly in the top 10 coaches in the league currently.
Really? Which of the coaches I listed below would you choose Marty over to coach your NFL team?
I challenge you to name me 10 coaches who are better than Schottenheimer. Go on, try.
It obviously depends on what you mean by "better". I'll choose to look at it like I'm drafting a coach to coach my team for three years, because that eliminates any age factor. In no particular order, I'd prefer: Cowher, Shanahan, Belicheck, Parcells, Holmgren, Reid, Fox, Gibbs, Dungy, Del Rio, Lewis, Gruden, and Fisher, at minimum, and maybe Billick and Saban, too. And I'm not sure that's all, without looking at it more closely.
I'd prefer Cowher, Shanny, Belichick, and Reid. Those 4 are the stone-cold no-brainers, since I think they're the 4 best coaches in the league at the moment.I would prefer Schottenheimer to Saban and Billick. Those 2 are also stone-cold no-brainers. Billick is drastically overrated, with a lower winning percentage and more losing seasons in the last 8 years than Schotty's had in 21 (and Schotty has had a lot of WORSE teams than Billick, since as I mentioned, he keeps taking over reclamation projects). As for Saban... come on, he's coached 20 games, and has a .500 record (10-10). It's a little bit too early to start anointing him a savior already.

I think Gruden and Fisher are solid coaches, but I'd prefer Schottenheimer. Gruden's Buccaneers have been perennial underachievers. Fisher has 4 winning seasons in 13 years. Yes, Fisher has been handicapped by a very bad front office, but that front office wasn't *ALWAYS* bad (at one point in time, more starting players in the NFL were drafted by Tennessee than any other franchise), and my point is that Schottenheimer has historically taken poor talent and gotten solid results from it, something Fisher has yet to do. When Tennessee sportswriters call the Titans the worst team on their own schedule, they don't run off a 12-4 season to shut the critics up.

I'd take Schottenheimer over Del Rio and Marvin Lewis. Both are very solid coaches, but neither has really done anything to date (28 and 30 career wins, respectively), and both have a worse career winning percentage. Both coaches could have won a coach of the year award every single season they were coaching in the league, and they'd still only have as many as Marty has.

Parcells and Holmgren... this one's tougher. On the one hand, with Holmgren, I'm reminded of all of the years of mediocrity the Seahawks went through... but on the other hand, they were never bad during those years, and they're dominant now. I'd take Holmgren over Schotty. If it were for a 1-year coaching job, I'd take Parcells over Schotty, but given all of the drama that surrounds Parcells, I'd rather have Schottenheimer signed to a 5-year contract than Bill.

Gibbs. This one's easy- if you're in the Hall of Fame, you're ranked above Marty Schottenheimer... although Gibbs could have this status revoked if Washington doesn't keep playing strong, because I'm still not 100% sure that Gibbs is as good of a coach now as he was his first time around.

Who am I forgetting from your list? Just Tony Dungy? This one's another easy one. I'd take Dungy over Schottenheimer. Dungy's taken on two reclamation projects and done as well with both of them as Schottenheimer ever did. His winning percentage is sterling, his consistancy is sterling, and he's dealt with a TON of roster turnover so we know it's not a fluke.

I'll throw out another name you haven't mentioned yet- Lovie Smith. I'd be veeeery tempted to take Lovie Smith over Schottenheimer. I know, I know, it's a little bit hypocritical to take Schotty over Lewis/Del Rio because they haven't shown me enough, and then turn around and say I might take Lovie over Schotty... but I think Lovie has created a stronger turnaround than Del Rio or Lewis has, and I *LOVE* what Lovie did as a defensive coordinator. I dunno, maybe it's just a mancrush, but I like Lovie a lot as a head coach. If it really came down to it, I'd take Schottenheimer though, because he's got a much stronger resume (3 CoY awards with 3 different teams), and Lovie Smith really hasn't dealt with any extreme roster turnover. That's a big factor in my mind- anyone can look like a good coach if he has some great talent (Barry Switzer, George Seifert, Bill Callahan), but the BEST coaches will keep on looking good as they turn their entire roster over- and nobody has produced with as many different rosters as Schottenheimer.

So, here are the coaches I'd take over Schotty:

Belichick, Shanahan, Cowher, Reid, Dungy, Holmgren, Gibbs, MAYBE Parcells (if it was a 1-year deal). That's about it.

Did I forget anyone? Is there anyone that you disagree with, or question my reasoning on? I'm more than happy to engage in a very nice, calm, rational discussion of this matter. Or you can call me names and engage in a long series of ad hominem attacks. I don't mind, really- it's always nice to know who the tools are so I can ignore them in advance. :)
You named 7 you prefer to Marty. You forgot Fox. I'll assume that if you love what Lovie is doing, you'd take him over Marty, bringing us to 8.And, yes, it is hypocritical to prefer Lovie to Del Rio and Lewis.

Entering this season, Lovie had one winning season and one losing season, with a 16-16 regular season record. He is 0-1 in the playoffs. The season prior to his arrival, Chicago was 7-9, and during the three seasons prior to his arrival, Chicago was a combined 24-24.

Entering this season, Del Rio had two winning seasons (in a row) and one losing season, with a 26-22 regular season record. He is 0-1 in the playoffs. The season prior to his arrival, Jacksonville was 6-10, and during the three seasons prior to his arrival, Jacksonville was a combined 19-29.

Entering this season, Lewis had no losing seasons and one winning season, with a 27-21 regular season record. He is 0-1 in the playoffs. The season prior to his arrival, Cincy was 2-14. Yes, 2-14. And during the three seasons prior to his arrival, Cincy was a combined 12-36. Yes, 12-36. The team had not had a winning season for 13 years when Lewis took over, and only one .500 season during that span. And Lewis promptly reeled off 8-8, 8-8, 11-5.

I think it is safe to say that Chicago has played a weaker regular season schedule than Jacksonville and Cincy in recent years, which has helped Lovie in this comparison. Yet both Del Rio and Lewis, especially Lewis, have made bigger turnarounds with their teams so far.

Perhaps you are just extremely impressed with Chicago this season, more so than Jacksonville and Cincy, and thus are projecting. But to date, Lovie has not been as impressive as the others. Given that you identified 7 without Parcells, Fox, Del Rio, or Lewis, I think it is fairly clear that Marty is not top 10.

And note that this whole conversation in the other thread started because of Marty's lousy coaching yesterday. He pulled the team's offense into a shell in the second half, even though it performed well in the first half, and then he ignored two wakeup calls (Baltimore fumble on the doorstep and a Baltimore dropped TD bomb) and stuck to the ultra-conservative game plan. That was a big game on the road for a possible contender. Can anyone give any similar examples by any of the other coaches named here? Many of them are conservative... but not to the extreme of Martyball.

EDIT to address the others.

Yes, Saban is 10-10. But would you take him over Marty if you were starting a team right now? I think so. Even if you only limited your window to 3 years, as I said in my post.

Billick and Gruden have won the Super Bowl, and Fisher has been. I'm not huge fans of Billick and Gruden, I do like Fisher. I'd probably take Gruden and Fisher over Marty for my team, but not Billick. So I suppose I rest at 14.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that Schottenheimer "plays not to lose", but you have to admit... "playing not to lose" has a pretty strong history of success.
"Playing not to lose" is such a bull #### concept. In any given situation, there is a mixed strategy(Simple Example: 70% Inside Run, 30% Play Action Pass is a mixed strategy) that yields the maximum possible EV(Expected Value, in football it equates to %Chance of winning game).Coaches are pretty smart, they should have figured this out by now. Then again, studies have proven that going for it on 4th and 2 usually increases your chance of winning, yet coaches still punt even in 4th and 1 or 4th and inches.

Schottenheimer is an excellent organizer and motivator. I'd love to have him coaching a young team that's rebuilding. I think he's a poor gameday coach and I think that he seizes up in pressure situations and then makes horrible decisions. This of course means that he's got problems in the playoffs. He's won a lot of NFL games and for that I sincerely respect him. I recognize, however, that his success is limited.
:goodposting: He is one of the most consistent winners in the history of the NFL... if only he could delegate play calling responsibility to others.

Cowher and Dungy both coached under Shotty...

Anyway, I'm a complete Chiefs homer. I remember how pitiful they were before he came. And I remember him and Peterson turning the franchise completely around.

I remember a lot of winning seasons under him, and a few division titles as well. Yeah, the playoffs...can't win the big one, etc... But you know what? I'd sure as hell rather go to the playoffs and lose than not go at all. The Chiefs have been to the playoffs once since Marty left (and they lost that game too). :(

I think he's a great coach. I may have disagreed with his choice of Offensive coordinators (Hackett), and some of the decisions he made in his time here in KC. But man, he and Peterson put the Chiefs back on the map, and I'm pretty sure the Chiefs won the most games of any team in the 90's? Correct me if I'm wrong there. He helped make KC a football town again, and I'll always respect him for that.

Not to mention that quite a few of the coaches I see listed out have never won SB's. I mean, if we're gonna knock Marty for never winning one...why not Dungy? Hell, his Bucs won the Bowl the year after he was fired, didn't they? And we all know that Indy has been repeatedly picked to win it, and never gotten it done. Del Rio? Saban? Lovie Smith? Fisher? Reid lost his bowl. Etc, etc...

All I know is Marty wins games. It's hard to argue with that.

Schottenheimer is an excellent organizer and motivator. I'd love to have him coaching a young team that's rebuilding. I think he's a poor gameday coach and I think that he seizes up in pressure situations and then makes horrible decisions. This of course means that he's got problems in the playoffs. He's won a lot of NFL games and for that I sincerely respect him. I recognize, however, that his success is limited.
exactly. We don't get to see coaches in practice or dealing with players behind the scenes, so its hard for us to judge there. But Marty's record would indicate that hes good in those areas. The one area we do see is in game coaching. And I think Marty is one of the worst in the league by far in that area.

Also, whats with the Dungy love? What has he ever accomplished? TB won as soon as he left. And he has championship level talent in Indy yet hasn't even made the SB.

It is what it is said:
1) Parcells - Best gameday coach in the league. Most knowledgable coach in all aspects of coaching in the NFL...he is always thinking special teams. His gameplanning is the best in the league, he just needs his players to carry it out. I remember the AFC Championship when his Jets should have destroyed Denver's club with Elway and Davis. But his players had an uncharacteristic turnover laden game. They should have been up 24 points at the half in that one. One of the best talent evaluaters in the NFL as well. Take a look at the top coaches he has produced, the list is unmatched by any active coach in the NFL. The most charismatic coach in the NFL. His players would do absolutely anything for him, extremely loyal and honest, almost to a fault. - His only negative...well along with his supersticious behavior - Has a Daughter named Dallas, which is probably a big part of why he took the Cowboys job. Multiple Super Bowl winner2) Belichick - His defensive schemes are unmatched. His ability to stay on top of every position on his roster and supply quality players at all positions is the best in the league. Excellent gameday coach, one of the best. Parcells disciple. Multiple Super Bowl winner3) Gibbs- His long time away from the game and taking on another sport is his only negative. One of the only remaining true Coryell-two Sid's disciples. His assistant (Saunders) this year will get far too much credit for what Gibbs put together. The reason why Saunders is there is because of his similiarity to Gibbs and the Coryell-two Sid's connection. I am always amazed at the offensive production Gibbs gets from both the running and passing game. His work and success with non top caliber QB's in unmatched. May have put together the best coaching staff in the NFL this year. Delegates responsibilty extremely well. Multiple Super Bowl winner4) Shanahan - Best offensive mind in the game. Probably the best coach of all the Bill Walsh disciples, which says volumes. Excellent gameday coach, one of the best. His biggest fault may be in his player evaluation. Not that it's bad, it is just very up and down. - See multiple QB's since Elway and more recent offensive draft busts5) Cowher - A true closer with his consistant ground and pound approach. Although not afraid to open up the offense with trickery. Constantly produces among the best defenses in the game. Top player motivator...another one who's players would do absolutely anything for him. A Marty Schottenheimer disciple. Super Bowl winner6) Dungy - A master defensive guru and player evaluator. Should have won the Super Bowl with his home made Tampa teams, but got a raw deal. Another one who his players will do absolutely anything for. A Chuck Noll disciple. Expect him to win his first Super Bowl within the next three years.7) Lewis - The brainchild behind the Ravens defensive success. Should get the coaching credit for the Ravens Super Bowl win over Billick. Defensive guru who is getting it done offensively in Cincy. Excellent player talent evaluator. A Bill Cowher disciple. Another who should be getting his first Super Bowl win in short order.8) Holmgren - Player evaluator including the QB position is unmatched in the league. Builds teams slowly, but if you've got the time, he's got your team. Offensive guru in both the passing and running game. Makes his offensive lines a big priority of his teams success. Total control guy who players respect, if not always like. A Bill Walsh disciple. Super Bowl winner9) Reid - A WCO guru. A Holmgren disciple. Like Holmgren depends heavily on his ability to build the offensive line, a former offensive lineman himself. Controlled passing game master. Took Eagles to 4 consecutive NFC titles and one Super Bowl appearance. Biggest problem has been taking his power and control too seriously. Does not always handle his players correctly. His Owens-spandex fiasco was a head coaching atrocity.10) Fox/Del Rio Tie...Both (Fox/Del Rio) excellent defensive minded coaches...two of the better newer coaches in the game. Fox having been to the NFC Championship twice and Super Bowl once. Del Rio is working his way there quickly. Both excellent player evaluators and game day coaches.Edited to add space between coaches:
I'd put Gibbs at #1, Belicheck at #2, and Parcells at #3. But overall, great list imo.

You named 7 you prefer to Marty. You forgot Fox. I'll assume that if you love what Lovie is doing, you'd take him over Marty, bringing us to 8.
I did forget Fox. He's another guy that I have a hard time being too high on, because he hasn't faced any real player turnover. I'm halfway tempted to put him above Schottenheimer because of his great coaching season in 2004 (yes, the season when Carolina went 7-9). The great late-season turnaround despite huge injuries (the closest thing he's faced to player turnover) really impressed me. It impressed me enough that I had to go back and take a second look at that season before deciding whether I'd rather have him or Schottenheimer. You know what I saw? Lots of wins against lousy teams late in the year (2-14 niners, 6-10 cards, 5-11 bucs, 8-8 saints, 8-8 rams), as well as a loss in week 17 against a mediocre Saints squad when he could have punched his ticket to the playoffs. That run had as much to do with the crappy NFC as it did with the Scrappy Panthers. Still... two deep playoff runs in 4 seasons as a coach is very impressive (almost as impressive as 3 CoY awards with 3 different teams). I'll give him a mulligan for 2004 because of the injuries, and call him a tie with Schottenheimer.Also, I would *NOT* put Lovie over Schottenheimer, and I clearly stated that in my original post. I want to, because I like Lovie, but until he's dealt with some player turnover I just can't do it. I have 7 coaches who are clearly ahead of Schottenheimer, then John Fox (who is a wash), and Bill Parcells (who I'd rather have for a 1-year coaching stint, but not for a 3-year coaching stint).

And, yes, it is hypocritical to prefer Lovie to Del Rio and Lewis.

Entering this season, Lovie had one winning season and one losing season, with a 16-16 regular season record. He is 0-1 in the playoffs. The season prior to his arrival, Chicago was 7-9, and during the three seasons prior to his arrival, Chicago was a combined 24-24.

Entering this season, Del Rio had two winning seasons (in a row) and one losing season, with a 26-22 regular season record. He is 0-1 in the playoffs. The season prior to his arrival, Jacksonville was 6-10, and during the three seasons prior to his arrival, Jacksonville was a combined 19-29.

Entering this season, Lewis had no losing seasons and one winning season, with a 27-21 regular season record. He is 0-1 in the playoffs. The season prior to his arrival, Cincy was 2-14. Yes, 2-14. And during the three seasons prior to his arrival, Cincy was a combined 12-36. Yes, 12-36. The team had not had a winning season for 13 years when Lewis took over, and only one .500 season during that span. And Lewis promptly reeled off 8-8, 8-8, 11-5.

I think it is safe to say that Chicago has played a weaker regular season schedule than Jacksonville and Cincy in recent years, which has helped Lovie in this comparison. Yet both Del Rio and Lewis, especially Lewis, have made bigger turnarounds with their teams so far.

Perhaps you are just extremely impressed with Chicago this season, more so than Jacksonville and Cincy, and thus are projecting. But to date, Lovie has not been as impressive as the others.
First off, I never said it was hypocritical to prefer Lovie to Lewis/Del Rio. I said that it was hypocritical to criticise Lewis and Del Rio for a lack of sample size, and then not criticise Lovie for the same thing. There's nothing at all wrong with preferring Lovie Smith. While you presented a lot of really good numbers, there are really just two things I have to say in Lovie Smith's defense. First off, Del Rio and Lewis have dealt with Byron Leftwich and Carson Palmer as their starting QBs in their quality seasons. Lovie Smith had Kyle Orton. There is a *WORLD* of difference there. Second off, Lovie Smith has won a Coach of the Year award. Del Rio and Lewis have not. Lovie has also asserted himself this season, and I also loved his work as a defensive coordinator (Marvin Lewis coordinated one of the greatest defenses of all time, but I was more impressed with the fact that the Rams defense went from horrid to great as soon as Lovie Smith arrived, and then back to horrid when he left. Baltimore's defense has remained great without Lewis).
Given that you identified 7 without Parcells, Fox, Del Rio, or Lewis, I think it is fairly clear that Marty is not top 10.
No, it's not fairly clear. I did talk about Parcells, who doesn't make my top 10 because he leaves his team on the eve of the superbowl, commits to returning in Tampa Bay but then changes his mind, and has a constant retirement speculation surrounding him. He's just not dependable. I'd love him for a 1-year stint, but beyond that, he's just not dependable. And again, I don't think Fox, Del Rio, or Lewis deserve to be on that list because they haven't turned over a roster yet. Even an idiot can get lucky and create one roster that's so good that it carries ITSELF to victory, but the great coaches are capable of CONSISTANTLY fielding strong teams year after year after year, despite turning over the entire roster every 6 years.Consider this: if we just want to talk about early coaching careers, Bill Callahan was 11-5 and in the superbowl in his first season. The Oakland Raiders have 7 winning seasons in the past 20 years, and Art Shell (considered one of the worst coaches in the league) was at the helm for 4 of them. Denny Green went his first 9 seasons without falling below .500 once, but has now had 4 straight losing campaigns. All of these are examples of why you need more than a 4-year sample to evaluate a coach.

And note that this whole conversation in the other thread started because of Marty's lousy coaching yesterday. He pulled the team's offense into a shell in the second half, even though it performed well in the first half, and then he ignored two wakeup calls (Baltimore fumble on the doorstep and a Baltimore dropped TD bomb) and stuck to the ultra-conservative game plan. That was a big game on the road for a possible contender. Can anyone give any similar examples by any of the other coaches named here? Many of them are conservative... but not to the extreme of Martyball.
Sure, every coach has his weaknesses. Denver's lost plenty of games because Shanahan has turtled up in the end zone. Cowher's playcalling was positively lambasted in his repeated postseason failures. Bellichick's decision to let Branch walk when he had $13 million in unspent cap space was a huge reason why they lost to Denver, and you don't think that everyone here wasn't jumping on his back when he went for it on 4th down at the end of that game rather than kicking the field goal (I can find the threads if you want)? Andy Reid's inability to call anything but passes has certainly cost the Eagles more victories than Schottenheimer's inability to call anything but runs (remember week 2 against the Giants?).Every coach in the league has his own personal bugbears, problems that at some point wind up costing him games. Every single one. Some (such as Schottenheimer) worse than others, but I wouldn't even call him the worst. I think Andy Reid's pass first, second, and third mentality is far worse than Schottenheimer's "martyball".

Yes, Saban is 10-10. But would you take him over Marty if you were starting a team right now? I think so. Even if you only limited your window to 3 years, as I said in my post.

Billick and Gruden have won the Super Bowl, and Fisher has been. I'm not huge fans of Billick and Gruden, I do like Fisher. I'd probably take Gruden and Fisher over Marty for my team, but not Billick. So I suppose I rest at 14.
I most certainly would NOT take Saban over Marty. Not a chance in hell. I don't even have Saban in my top 16 coaches. He hasn't shown me *ANYTHING*.As for the Super Bowl... again, if not for The Drive or The Fumble, Marty would have two SB appearances to his name (and possibly a win or two). It's not Marty's fault Bynar couldn't hold on to the ball.

Marvin Lewis and Tony Dungy haven't won anything. Both are supposed to be defensive gurus and yet their teams absolutely blow on defense.

Both lucked out with a franchise quarterback. The Bengals are still the Bungles without Palmer, and I'm not sipping the Colts Kool-Aid sans Peyton Manning.

Marvin Lewis and Tony Dungy haven't won anything. Both are supposed to be defensive gurus and yet their teams absolutely blow on defense. Both lucked out with a franchise quarterback. The Bengals are still the Bungles without Palmer, and I'm not sipping the Colts Kool-Aid sans Peyton Manning.
In Tony Dungy's defense, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had one winning season in the 20 years of their existance before Tony Dungy came around. ONE. That's it. Then they had 4 winning seasons in 6 years under Dungy, and Dungy's team wound up winning the superbowl the year after he left (as bad as Gruden has looked in Tampa Bay, I honestly believe that they still would have won with Dungy around). You can't blame that success in Tampa on a franchise QB, unless your definition of "franchise QB" includes Trent Dilfer, Shaun King, and Brad Johnson. Besides, Dungy's career winning percentage is 64.6%. That's RIDICULOUS. That's ABSURD. Not only has he only had 1 losing season (his first season in Tampa, which was the ultimate reclamation project), but he also only had 1 season at .500. He has made the playoffs a REMARKABLE 80% of his seasons as a head coach. These numbers are downright LUDICROUS. As far as I can tell, Dungy has the best active winning percentage in the entire NFL, and the only modern-era head coach who can match that playoff mark is John Madden (8 playoff appearances in 10 years), and Dungy will pass even him unless the Colts implode and miss the playoffs this season.While Marvin Lewis doesn't have quite the resume that Dungy has, you can't say he "lucked out with a franchise quarterback". Not only did he draft that franchise QB himself, but he also went 8-8 with John Kitna- quite an accomplishment when you consider that the team was 2-14 the season before and had AVERAGED 4.6 wins a season over the last dozen years.

All of these coaches have SB titles. Winning games when it matters most is the true measure of greatness.

1) Parcells

2) Belichick

3) Gibbs

4) Shanahan

5) Cowher

6) Billick

7) Gruden

8) Holmgren

These guys are knocking on the door:

9) Reid - Been to a SB, 4 conf. championship games

10) Fox - Been to SB, 2 Conf. championship games

Schottenheimer may be a decent regular season coach who can take a bad team and make it competitive, but don't confuse that talent with being able to lead a team to the ultimate prize, which he hasn't been able to do....and never will.

I did talk about Parcells, who doesn't make my top 10 because he leaves his team on the eve of the superbowl, commits to returning in Tampa Bay but then changes his mind, and has a constant retirement speculation surrounding him. He's just not dependable. I'd love him for a 1-year stint, but beyond that, he's just not dependable. And again, I don't think Fox, Del Rio, or Lewis deserve to be on that list because they haven't turned over a roster yet. Even an idiot can get lucky and create one roster that's so good that it carries ITSELF to victory, but the great coaches are capable of CONSISTANTLY fielding strong teams year after year after year, despite turning over the entire roster every 6 years.
I think you (and some others in this thread) and I are comparing these coaches differently. Some in the thread appear to be comparing track records and accomplishments and saying Marty has proved more. I have taken the approach from the start that if I was going to hire a coach to coach my NFL team for 3 years, I'd hire the coaches I named over Marty.Obviously, Fox, Lewis, Del Rio, etc. haven't turned over a roster... that is a function of the years they have been in their jobs. But the fact that Marty has been a head coach longer and is much older does not make him a better coach. Preferring Marty over these guys is like saying you'd take Trent Green over Carson Palmer if you had your choice of QBs because he has done it longer.

Also, my premise is that I am hiring the coach in question. So with respect to Parcells, the question I was answering is whether I'd rather have him over Marty to coach my team in its 3 year window. There is no issue with dependability, because in my comparison, one of them is coaching my team for 3 years. I'd clearly rather it be Parcells, and I believe most would agree.

It is what it is said:
1) Parcells - Best gameday coach in the league. Most knowledgable coach in all aspects of coaching in the NFL...he is always thinking special teams. His gameplanning is the best in the league, he just needs his players to carry it out. I remember the AFC Championship when his Jets should have destroyed Denver's club with Elway and Davis. But his players had an uncharacteristic turnover laden game. They should have been up 24 points at the half in that one. One of the best talent evaluaters in the NFL as well. Take a look at the top coaches he has produced, the list is unmatched by any active coach in the NFL. The most charismatic coach in the NFL. His players would do absolutely anything for him, extremely loyal and honest, almost to a fault. - His only negative...well along with his supersticious behavior - Has a Daughter named Dallas, which is probably a big part of why he took the Cowboys job. Multiple Super Bowl winner2) Belichick - His defensive schemes are unmatched. His ability to stay on top of every position on his roster and supply quality players at all positions is the best in the league. Excellent gameday coach, one of the best. Parcells disciple. Multiple Super Bowl winner3) Gibbs- His long time away from the game and taking on another sport is his only negative. One of the only remaining true Coryell-two Sid's disciples. His assistant (Saunders) this year will get far too much credit for what Gibbs put together. The reason why Saunders is there is because of his similiarity to Gibbs and the Coryell-two Sid's connection. I am always amazed at the offensive production Gibbs gets from both the running and passing game. His work and success with non top caliber QB's is unmatched. May have put together the best coaching staff in the NFL this year. Delegates responsibilty extremely well. Multiple Super Bowl winner4) Shanahan - Best offensive mind in the game. Probably the best coach of all the Bill Walsh disciples, which says volumes. Excellent gameday coach, one of the best. His biggest fault may be in his player evaluation. Not that it's bad, it is just very up and down. - See multiple QB's since Elway and more recent offensive draft busts. Multiple Super Bowl winner5) Cowher - A true closer with his consistant ground and pound approach. Although not afraid to open up the offense with trickery. Constantly produces among the best defenses in the game. Top player motivator...another one who's players would do absolutely anything for him. A Marty Schottenheimer disciple. Super Bowl winner6) Dungy - A master defensive guru and player evaluator. Should have won the Super Bowl with his home made Tampa teams, but got a raw deal. Another one who his players will do absolutely anything for. A Chuck Noll disciple. Expect him to win his first Super Bowl within the next three years.7) Lewis - The brainchild behind the Ravens defensive success. Should get the coaching credit for the Ravens Super Bowl win over Billick. Defensive guru who is getting it done offensively in Cincy. Excellent player talent evaluator. A Bill Cowher disciple. Another who should be getting his first Super Bowl win in short order.8) Holmgren - Player evaluator including the QB position is unmatched in the league. Builds teams slowly, but if you've got the time, he's got your team. Offensive guru in both the passing and running game. Makes his offensive lines a big priority of his teams success. Total control guy who players respect, if not always like. A Bill Walsh disciple. Super Bowl winner9) Reid - A WCO guru. A Holmgren disciple. Like Holmgren depends heavily on his ability to build the offensive line, a former offensive lineman himself. Controlled passing game master. Took Eagles to 4 consecutive NFC titles and one Super Bowl appearance. Biggest problem has been taking his power and control too seriously. Does not always handle his players correctly. His Owens-spandex fiasco was a head coaching atrocity.10) Fox/Del Rio Tie...Both (Fox/Del Rio) excellent defensive minded coaches...two of the better newer coaches in the game. Fox having been to the NFC Championship twice and Super Bowl once. Del Rio is working his way there quickly. Both excellent player evaluators and game day coaches.Edited to add space between coaches:
I really can't disagree with anything you've written here. I am, however, one of those people who thinks that Parcells gets rated a bit too high in these kinds of discussions. Mind you, I still place him up near the top - top 5 easily (and certainly better than Marty), but not at the very top. I believe that there's something to the argument that notes that he's never been able to match the level of success that he had when he was with Belichick and Lawrence Taylor. He also has a declining career path:Giants: Won 2 Super BowlsPatriots: Won 1 Conference ChampionshipJets: Got to the Conference Championship GameCowboys: 1 playoff appearance (no wins so far)

All of these coaches have SB titles. Winning games when it matters most is the true measure of greatness.
Superbowl titles are extremely overrated. Did Cowher magically become a better coach immediately after the superbowl last year? If Seattle had attempted a 17-lateral play like the Jets tried this week, and it miraculously worked and gave them the victory, then would Cowher suddenly be a worse coach again?If you want to deal with the smallest sample sizes imaginable, then feel free to continue judging based entirely on the Superbowl. Personally, I'd much prefer a guy with a history of making the playoffs. Once you get into the playoffs, anything is possible, so I'd want a guy who can get me there as often as possible.

I did talk about Parcells, who doesn't make my top 10 because he leaves his team on the eve of the superbowl, commits to returning in Tampa Bay but then changes his mind, and has a constant retirement speculation surrounding him. He's just not dependable. I'd love him for a 1-year stint, but beyond that, he's just not dependable. And again, I don't think Fox, Del Rio, or Lewis deserve to be on that list because they haven't turned over a roster yet. Even an idiot can get lucky and create one roster that's so good that it carries ITSELF to victory, but the great coaches are capable of CONSISTANTLY fielding strong teams year after year after year, despite turning over the entire roster every 6 years.
I think you (and some others in this thread) and I are comparing these coaches differently. Some in the thread appear to be comparing track records and accomplishments and saying Marty has proved more. I have taken the approach from the start that if I was going to hire a coach to coach my NFL team for 3 years, I'd hire the coaches I named over Marty.Obviously, Fox, Lewis, Del Rio, etc. haven't turned over a roster... that is a function of the years they have been in their jobs. But the fact that Marty has been a head coach longer and is much older does not make him a better coach. Preferring Marty over these guys is like saying you'd take Trent Green over Carson Palmer if you had your choice of QBs because he has done it longer.

Also, my premise is that I am hiring the coach in question. So with respect to Parcells, the question I was answering is whether I'd rather have him over Marty to coach my team in its 3 year window. There is no issue with dependability, because in my comparison, one of them is coaching my team for 3 years. I'd clearly rather it be Parcells, and I believe most would agree.
I still feel that there *IS* an issue of dependability with Parcells. Will he leave your team the week before the superbowl? Will he retire in the offseason? He's a mercenary who cannot be depended on for an extended period of time.Anyway, the whole reason I keep mentioning turning over the roster is because the more different rosters you win with, the more proven you are. Marvin Lewis and John Fox are still essentially playing with their first roster. Are they both so good because they're good coaches, or because they lucked into Chad Johnson and Steve Smith? I mean, what's John Fox's record without Steve Smith? It's not very good (7-11). One could argue that it's not that Fox is a great coach, it's that Steve Smith is a DOMINANT WR. Like I said, even Bill Callahan can go 11-5 and make the superbowl if he lucks into the talent.

Waiting 6 years before evaluating a coach separates the flukes from the real quality guys.

I like Marty as a rehab coach. Dan Snyder made a big mistake getting rid of him after one year. Yeah they started 0-5, but they finished the year 8-3. Turning around a team involves some growing pains. If you aren't in it for at least the 3 year long haul, you're wasting your time. Schotty would've done much better than Spurrier did in Washington.

Everyone knows about Marty in the playoffs though. Yeah that fumble really hurt, but he also went nowhere with a 12-4 San Diego team and two 13-3 Kansas City teams.

I like Marty as a rehab coach. Dan Snyder made a big mistake getting rid of him after one year. Yeah they started 0-5, but they finished the year 8-3. Turning around a team involves some growing pains. If you aren't in it for at least the 3 year long haul, you're wasting your time. Schotty would've done much better than Spurrier did in Washington.
I can't disagree with you and I was opposed to Shotty's firing when it occurred, although I must admit that when Spurrier's name surfaced I was intrigued. :bag: Subsequently, when I learned about his megalomaniacal ways with the power Snyder gave to him, I soured on him. It's pretty clear to me he should be a coach but is not cut out for GM duties, and Snyder's primary mistake with him was giving him too much power to begin with. Still, he has a well documented record of performing far better in his second year as coach than in his first, and it took until last year for the team to match or improve upon Schotty's 8-8 record in 2001. That team could have been a playoff contender in 2002 with just one or two components added. If this was the path required to get Gibbs back, then it was all worth it though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone knows about Marty in the playoffs though. Yeah that fumble really hurt, but he also went nowhere with a 12-4 San Diego team and two 13-3 Kansas City teams.
Well, first of all, had Byner not fumbled, that would have only tied the game with the Broncos, not won it. Second, it could be argued that Schottenheimer got some of those KC teams in the 90's to overachieve in the regular season, only to see them lose to better teams in the playoffs (though not in the case of the 10-7 loss to the Colts in '95). Lastly, I would say Schottenheimer is definitely a great head coach, but like some have said, I am not sure he would be in my top list of coaches I would want coaching my team in the postseason. My top 10 NFL head coaches would be:1. Belichick2. Shanahan3. Cowher4. Reid5. Holmgren6. Gibbs7. Parcells8. Lewis9. Schottenheimer10. Dungy

Waiting 6 years before evaluating a coach separates the flukes from the real quality guys.
Well, it is certainly harder to argue that Marty isn't a top 10 coach if you exclude all coaches with less than 6 years of HC experience, since that eliminates around half of the current NFL head coaches. So what you're really saying is that Marty is in the top 10 of 16, and you personally rank him 8th, behind the 7 you listed earlier... so you rank him as about average for NFL head coaches with 6+ years of experience. It is harder for me to disagree with that. Like I said, we've been talking apples and oranges.

My top 10 NFL head coaches would be:1. Belichick2. Shanahan3. Cowher4. Reid5. Holmgren6. Gibbs7. Parcells8. Lewis9. Schottenheimer10. Dungy
How on earth can you rate Cowher and Reid that high? Those guys are on a tier above Shotty to be sure due to better playoff performances, but their ability to turn good teams into champions simply must be questioned. A year ago Cowher had been to 4 AFC Championship games and had lost every single one of them; two years ago Reid had coached the undisputed best team in the NFC for three years running and had failed to win 3 consecutive Conference Championship games. Kudos to Cowher for winning last year (especially with what I think was probably the fourth or fifth best team in his conference entering the playoffs) but that's not exactly a great batting average for a team that's reached the conference championship game the number of times that his team has. I also think that Reid is a poor game day coach, like Schotty is - that alleged "hurry up" offense in the Super Bowl and his repeatedly idiotic play calls (usually he's waaaaaaaaay too pass heavy) have really hurt his team's fortunes. Cowher is better than Reid in this regard as he seems to keep his head on game day and even comes up with creative play calls.

I think Marty is a very good coach for teams that have mediocre talent. He will get teams like that to overachieve by playing within his system. However, when he has teams with a lot of talent, I believe he holds them back.

My top 10 NFL head coaches would be:1. Belichick2. Shanahan3. Cowher4. Reid5. Holmgren6. Gibbs7. Parcells8. Lewis9. Schottenheimer10. Dungy
How on earth can you rate Cowher and Reid that high? Those guys are on a tier above Shotty to be sure due to better playoff performances, but their ability to turn good teams into champions simply must be questioned. A year ago Cowher had been to 4 AFC Championship games and had lost every single one of them; two years ago Reid had coached the undisputed best team in the NFC for three years running and had failed to win 3 consecutive Conference Championship games. Kudos to Cowher for winning last year (especially with what I think was probably the fourth or fifth best team in his conference entering the playoffs) but that's not exactly a great batting average for a team that's reached the conference championship game the number of times that his team has. I also think that Reid is a poor game day coach, like Schotty is - that alleged "hurry up" offense in the Super Bowl and his repeatedly idiotic play calls (usually he's waaaaaaaaay too pass heavy) have really hurt his team's fortunes. Cowher is better than Reid in this regard as he seems to keep his head on game day and even comes up with creative play calls.
I can rate Cowher and Reid that high because of the success they have had. Cowher is the winningest coach in the NFL since the year he became the Steelers head coach, and Reid has a ton of success over the lat five years. Yes, both guys have lost conference championships at home, but in many of those cases, they got those teams to overachieve all year, only to see them lose to better teams in the title games. Don't coaches get points for getting to the conference title games? It seems like you want to take points away from them for losing those games, but getting there repeatedly speaks volumes about what good head coaches they are. Reid is a poor gameday head coach? What about last night? They were losing 9-7 at the half to a lesser team, but obviously did some tweeking at halftime, and they blewout the Packers in the second half. Was that not some good gameday adjusting? I am curious, what would your top 10 look like?

How on earth can you rate Cowher and Reid that high?
I can rate Cowher and Reid that high because of the success they have had.
Neither Cowher nor Reid have had as much success as Gibbs or Parcells and Holmgren has been more successful than Reid and equal success with Cowher.

Neither Cowher nor Reid have had as much success as Gibbs or Parcells and Holmgren has been more successful than Reid and equal success with Cowher.
Okay, I should have said their more recent success. Neither Parcells nor Gibbs have won a Super Bowl in a decade and a half. Neither have even been to one in the last decade.

Okay, I should have said their more recent success. Neither Parcells nor Gibbs have won a Super Bowl in a decade and a half. Neither have even been to one in the last decade.
Yeah, I'm just not a huge fan of the recency effect.

I'm sure Shell appreciates that. ;)

So, speaking hypothetically, if a coach won two Super Bowl's, but then had a less than .500 record over the next ten years, would you still rank him in the top 5 or 10 based on his SB wins from more than a decade ago?

I'm sure Shell appreciates that. ;)
Meh, he was never anything more than average anyways. He's stepped into a horrible situation this go around and I'm not going to change my belief of him as a coach based on a few recent games.

So, speaking hypothetically, if a coach won two Super Bowl's, but then had a less than .500 record over the next ten years, would you still rank him in the top 5 or 10 based on his SB wins from more than a decade ago?
Depends on who else there is to fill those 5 or 10 slots. And, depends on the circumstances of the SBs and his .500 record. IOW, not enough information.But, just going off that info, I wouldn't necessarily rank him below a coach who had 10 years of .500 then won the most recent two SBs just because the other coach's SBs were more recent.

Depends on who else there is to fill those 5 or 10 slots. And, depends on the circumstances of the SBs and his .500 record. IOW, not enough information.But, just going off that info, I wouldn't necessarily rank him below a coach who had 10 years of .500 then won the most recent two SBs just because the other coach's SBs were more recent.
Okay. I just don't see how anyone can have a problem with Belichick, Shanahan, or Cowher being in the top 3. Cowher and Shanahan are two most winningest coaches over the past decade plus, and both have Super Bowl wins to the credit. And Belichick has been the best head coach over the last five plus years, so he is a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread