Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Moving to Prague

Chaka

I have been back from Finland for 6 months now and, long story short, I am dissatisfied with the lifestyle here in beautiful San Diego (believe it or not).

So I have decided to pack it in and move to Prague, I have an excellent job offer there (no, it's not teaching English) and have started a shelf company that will allow me to purchase property immediately (legally I might add). I am pretty much ready to rock'n'roll but I have a lot of stuff that I simply do not want to keep in storage any longer.

I am starting the process of selling all my crap on eBay (so far only my music collection is up for auction), but I have a ton of comics, a very nice collection of power tools, a few guns and basically anything else that isn't nailed down.

I am going to place ads in the local newspapers etc. as well but does anyone have any other suggestions for how I can sell my stuff? Swap meets are the only other option that comes to mind.

TIA

I have been back from Finland for 6 months now and, long story short, I am dissatisfied with the lifestyle here in beautiful San Diego (believe it or not).So I have decided to pack it in and move to Prague, I have an excellent job offer there (no, it's not teaching English) and have started a shelf company that will allow me to purchase property immediately (legally I might add). I am pretty much ready to rock'n'roll but I have a lot of stuff that I simply do not want to keep in storage any longer.I am starting the process of selling all my crap on eBay (so far only my music collection is up for auction), but I have a ton of comics, a very nice collection of power tools, a few guns and basically anything else that isn't nailed down. I am going to place ads in the local newspapers etc. as well but does anyone have any other suggestions for how I can sell my stuff? Swap meets are the only other option that comes to mind.TIA

List everything you own here. Sell at good prices to FBGs. Win-win.

I have been back from Finland for 6 months now and, long story short, I am dissatisfied with the lifestyle here in beautiful San Diego (believe it or not).So I have decided to pack it in and move to Prague, I have an excellent job offer there (no, it's not teaching English) and have started a shelf company that will allow me to purchase property immediately (legally I might add). I am pretty much ready to rock'n'roll but I have a lot of stuff that I simply do not want to keep in storage any longer.I am starting the process of selling all my crap on eBay (so far only my music collection is up for auction), but I have a ton of comics, a very nice collection of power tools, a few guns and basically anything else that isn't nailed down. I am going to place ads in the local newspapers etc. as well but does anyone have any other suggestions for how I can sell my stuff? Swap meets are the only other option that comes to mind.TIA

List everything you own here. Sell at good prices to FBGs. Win-win.
Super special FBG discount?If you want I will PM you links when I post on eBay but I didn't want to turn the FFA into Chaka's personal swap meet.Unless of course Joe wouldn't mind.

What kind of guns do you have?Sacamano will be back to Columbus sometime soon.

I have a Mossberg pump action 12 gauge and a Springfield 1898 30-06 long rifle.I am certain there are laws concerning the interstate sale of weapons though...so don't tell anyone. :ph34r:

:jealous:

lolIt's a tough move because I am sacrificing my earning potential out here (PhD in Human Genetics) for quality of life out there.Oh and the girls are real purtty there too. :nerd:

What kind of guns do you have?Sacamano will be back to Columbus sometime soon.

I have a Mossberg pump action 12 gauge and a Springfield 1898 30-06 long rifle.I am certain there are laws concerning the interstate sale of weapons though...so don't tell anyone. :ph34r:
Uh-oh. Homer's all about anything that involves pump action. :unsure:

What were the ladies like in Finland?

:goodposting: Congrats Chaka. I love that place. What exactly did you find for work out there, and how did you go about it?And :lmao: at losing your "EARNINGS POWER". I weep for you.
I went to Prague two weeks ago (5th time) and if finally dawned on me that there was no other place in the world that I wanted to live, really like an epiphany.I have a highly marketable degree (PhD in human genetics) so I started checking job sites, expats.cz, monster etc. and the local universities. Currently I am have offers from Monsanto and ELC but I have not signed anything yet. I am hoping to land a lecturing position at Charles University.It is also fairly easy to establish residency and buy property if you are willing to deal with a lot of paperwork and even more bureaucracy but it is a well defined path if you choose to follow it.I am always happy to help those interested. PM me if you want more details.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If I were a single ninja, I'd be in europe right now. Prague is a wonderful city. Have a blast.

Thanks bro. I'll try.

What were the ladies like in Finland?
Nice. Very nice. Not the best looking people in the world, due to the shallow gene pool, but generally, tall, slender, very fit and lacking most sexual hang-ups commonly associated with American wimmens.Finland is where I finally learned that the concept of dating is the single worst cultural contribution that America has unleashed upon the world.

I dunno man, it seems like a really big risk to just up and move to another country. :P

But seriously, you need to iron out all your visa issues before hand, otherwise you'll likely have to travel BACK to the US in order to finish processing the paperwork. Since you'll be going as a tourist at first it isn't so easy to just switch and get a work visa in the EU (trust me, I know).

As for selling your stuff... craigslist is where it's at, then have a "moving sale" where everythign must go. You'll usually get crap prices from this, but you can move your #### out of your place in one day. Take whatever doesn't sell, distibute it to your good friend locally (have them pick it up), and take the remainder to the Goodwill etc.

Oh, and put whatever your're keeping/shipping out there in one room and don't let anyone into that room. Sell everything else.

This is what I did and it worked pretty well.

Craigslist.org.

:thumbup:Posted my CDs on Craigsat 4:30pm sold them at 11:30pm.Now it's time to get the my comic books and coins up there.Thanks again bro.

I dunno man, it seems like a really big risk to just up and move to another country. :PBut seriously, you need to iron out all your visa issues before hand, otherwise you'll likely have to travel BACK to the US in order to finish processing the paperwork. Since you'll be going as a tourist at first it isn't so easy to just switch and get a work visa in the EU (trust me, I know).As for selling your stuff... craigslist is where it's at, then have a "moving sale" where everythign must go. You'll usually get crap prices from this, but you can move your #### out of your place in one day. Take whatever doesn't sell, distibute it to your good friend locally (have them pick it up), and take the remainder to the Goodwill etc. Oh, and put whatever your're keeping/shipping out there in one room and don't let anyone into that room. Sell everything else.This is what I did and it worked pretty well.

Thanks for the advice Z. I am well versed in acquiring foreign visas but thanks for the reminder.Craigslist does seem to be the place for sure.

I dunno man, it seems like a really big risk to just up and move to another country. :PBut seriously, you need to iron out all your visa issues before hand, otherwise you'll likely have to travel BACK to the US in order to finish processing the paperwork. Since you'll be going as a tourist at first it isn't so easy to just switch and get a work visa in the EU (trust me, I know).As for selling your stuff... craigslist is where it's at, then have a "moving sale" where everythign must go. You'll usually get crap prices from this, but you can move your #### out of your place in one day. Take whatever doesn't sell, distibute it to your good friend locally (have them pick it up), and take the remainder to the Goodwill etc. Oh, and put whatever your're keeping/shipping out there in one room and don't let anyone into that room. Sell everything else.This is what I did and it worked pretty well.

Thanks for the advice Z. I am well versed in acquiring foreign visas but thanks for the reminder.Craigslist does seem to be the place for sure.
Well you're up at an early hour, even for the continent.Good to hear about the visas.. This was a real pain for me when I moved here to Spain. I was traveling through eastern europe (Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland) and had to return to the US to pick up my visa from the Spanish consulate. They had f'd up the first time and had to restart all the paperwork. That took an extra 6 weeks or so.There are other headaches that foreign citizens face when moving to the EU as compared to just visiting. Setting up a life in a new place is difficult, and no knowing the regulations, customs, procedures, and language can be tough. Lines are long and people are often rude. I can't imagine what it's like be an immigrant to the US. I'm sure quite the same.Speaking of which, how is your Czech? My Spanish is passable, but for beaurocratic things where every detail and form muct be perfect, it really helps to have a native speaker there. My gf acted in this capacity since she's perfectly bilingual in both english and spanish.In particular, the most difficulties have been in finding an apartment, opening a bank account, and getting residency to live and work. Those things are tough, and if you've never experienced them before, it can be eye-opening.One last thing, if you ever are passing through Madrid, you have a place to crash with me (this goes for any other FBG as well... I'm serious). It's a fun city that parties all night long as well as having a lot of cultural activites and being very... spanish. Autumn and Spring are the times to visit.

Well you're up at an early hour, even for the continent.Good to hear about the visas.. This was a real pain for me when I moved here to Spain. I was traveling through eastern europe (Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland) and had to return to the US to pick up my visa from the Spanish consulate. They had f'd up the first time and had to restart all the paperwork. That took an extra 6 weeks or so.There are other headaches that foreign citizens face when moving to the EU as compared to just visiting. Setting up a life in a new place is difficult, and no knowing the regulations, customs, procedures, and language can be tough. Lines are long and people are often rude. I can't imagine what it's like be an immigrant to the US. I'm sure quite the same.Speaking of which, how is your Czech? My Spanish is passable, but for beaurocratic things where every detail and form muct be perfect, it really helps to have a native speaker there. My gf acted in this capacity since she's perfectly bilingual in both english and spanish.In particular, the most difficulties have been in finding an apartment, opening a bank account, and getting residency to live and work. Those things are tough, and if you've never experienced them before, it can be eye-opening.One last thing, if you ever are passing through Madrid, you have a place to crash with me (this goes for any other FBG as well... I'm serious). It's a fun city that parties all night long as well as having a lot of cultural activites and being very... spanish. Autumn and Spring are the times to visit.
I am not in Prague yet, still in sunny San Diego, CA where it is getting late.My Czech language proficiency is pretty much non-existant at this point (pivo = beer), I just started with my Pimsleur course, but I have many friends there to help me, expats and locals alike (including a minister of parliment). The visa process will be facilitated by sponsorship from my workplace, but I am strongly considering opening a shelf corporation which will allow me to sponsor myself (and buy property). However there are many pitfalls involved, nottheleast of which is dealing with Czech tax laws. As I only got the ball rolling last week I still have many hoops to jump through including dealing with the Czech consulate locally. Whatever I will jump through any and every hoop necessary to make this one fly.Muchos gracias por las awesomo hospitality-o. And please allow me to extend a similar offer for Prague, or San Diego if you are ever in the area, because you can bet your last nickle that I will take you up on your offer. I love Spain and have been dying to get to Madrid for a long time now.

Find out what an auction company would take as a percentage and maybe have them include your stuff in an estate sale or large multi-househols auction. It could be well worth it from the aspect that you could get rid of everything instead of being cherry picked by newspaper ad/internet surfers.

I am not in Prague yet, still in sunny San Diego, CA where it is getting late.My Czech language proficiency is pretty much non-existant at this point (pivo = beer), I just started with my Pimsleur course, but I have many friends there to help me, expats and locals alike (including a minister of parliment). The visa process will be facilitated by sponsorship from my workplace, but I am strongly considering opening a shelf corporation which will allow me to sponsor myself (and buy property). However there are many pitfalls involved, nottheleast of which is dealing with Czech tax laws. As I only got the ball rolling last week I still have many hoops to jump through including dealing with the Czech consulate locally. Whatever I will jump through any and every hoop necessary to make this one fly.Muchos gracias por las awesomo hospitality-o. And please allow me to extend a similar offer for Prague, or San Diego if you are ever in the area, because you can bet your last nickle that I will take you up on your offer. I love Spain and have been dying to get to Madrid for a long time now.

Growing up in LA, I know what you're saying about sunny souther california. In another life, I'd be living in CA myself, but alas, that's not meant to be.Being an expat is a different life. I've been here about a month now, and it's been tough making friends, but I'm on my way. Before coming here I knew one other person living in Madrid (not related to work), and I've yet to meet up with her. My gf's sister has a good friend that lives here and we've sort of been adopted into this circle of freinds. They're all Venezuelan, so it's not like I hang with Americans or English speakers. Currently I'd estimate that about 50% of the conversations I have are in Spanish, the rest in English (excluding my conversations with my gf). There's some isolation and lonliness in this though since there's so much that goes on around you that wither you're unaware of or can't comprehend. I started out with a decent base, including 4 years of classes in HS and college, and taking a 2-week intensive course in mexico just prior to arrival here. I hope to be fluent by the end. We'll see. I'm making progress though for sure.My best advice is this... "getting into the system" is going to be harder and lengthier than you will expect or want. There will be unexpected hurdles, conflicts, and problems. All of those are solveable and are just building blocks of your life in the new country. Remember that the good times will come back eventually once your life settles down somewhat and you find your niche. Don't sweat the appearant decrease in earnings or even personal possesions and such... european life is not entirely centered around how big your house is, or how sweet your new ride is. It's different, sometimes conservative, and sometimes jsut plain strange... just roll with it.For me, life is all about experiences, and this is an intensive one. Also, Skype is your friend.

Finland is where I finally learned that the concept of dating is the single worst cultural contribution that America has unleashed upon the world.

:goodposting:

Finland is where I finally learned that the concept of dating is the single worst cultural contribution that America has unleashed upon the world.

I'm wondering what the #### will happen if/when my gf decides to leave and persue her PhD. #### may hit the fan.

lolIt's a tough move because I am sacrificing my earning potential out here (PhD in Human Genetics) for quality of life out there.Oh and the girls are real purtty there too. :nerd:
happiness + quality of life > work

I'm wondering what the #### will happen if/when my gf decides to leave and persue her PhD. #### may hit the fan.
gf is American, right? Well, you won't have to worry about "dating" when it comes to the Spanish wimmens, LOL. You might have to worry about older angry brothers though... or so I've heard... :bag:

gf is American, right? Well, you won't have to worry about "dating" when it comes to the Spanish wimmens, LOL. You might have to worry about older angry brothers though... or so I've heard... :bag:
American exchange students = speed :yes:
yeah, that's the funny part... American Exchange students are the loosest possible when over seas... at home, not so much... not that it's a bad thing... :banned:

Interesting question. She was born in Venezuela, moved to the states when she was 14. Mom is American. Father is Venezuelan. So neither... or both...

BTW, charvik, where ya at these days?

I have a highly marketable degree (PhD in human genetics)

sweet. so before you go can you explain the damaging effects Smoo has caused on the human gene pool?
I can explain that. He has none. One must copulate in order to damage the gene pool.
phew

Growing up in LA, I know what you're saying about sunny souther california. In another life, I'd be living in CA myself, but alas, that's not meant to be.Being an expat is a different life. I've been here about a month now, and it's been tough making friends, but I'm on my way. Before coming here I knew one other person living in Madrid (not related to work), and I've yet to meet up with her. My gf's sister has a good friend that lives here and we've sort of been adopted into this circle of freinds. They're all Venezuelan, so it's not like I hang with Americans or English speakers. Currently I'd estimate that about 50% of the conversations I have are in Spanish, the rest in English (excluding my conversations with my gf). There's some isolation and lonliness in this though since there's so much that goes on around you that wither you're unaware of or can't comprehend. I started out with a decent base, including 4 years of classes in HS and college, and taking a 2-week intensive course in mexico just prior to arrival here. I hope to be fluent by the end. We'll see. I'm making progress though for sure.My best advice is this... "getting into the system" is going to be harder and lengthier than you will expect or want. There will be unexpected hurdles, conflicts, and problems. All of those are solveable and are just building blocks of your life in the new country. Remember that the good times will come back eventually once your life settles down somewhat and you find your niche. Don't sweat the appearant decrease in earnings or even personal possesions and such... european life is not entirely centered around how big your house is, or how sweet your new ride is. It's different, sometimes conservative, and sometimes jsut plain strange... just roll with it.For me, life is all about experiences, and this is an intensive one. Also, Skype is your friend.
Thanks for the wisdom bro, I appreciate it.:thumbup:

Chaka, could you expound more on this?

Also, if you want to trade a good looking (albeit somewhat #####y at times) wife and a nice house in exchange for a plane ticket to prague and a job, PM me. :bag:

:useless:

BTW, charvik, where ya at these days?

Still in Houston... I am being head hunted hard right now though and might accept a position which would have me 2 months in Europe every now and then... we'll see. I am still talking money so nothing is set in stone.

Also, if you want to trade a good looking (albeit somewhat #####y at times) wife and a nice house in exchange for a plane ticket to prague and a job, PM me. :bag:

I sincerely worry this response will get me either flamed, banned or both but since you asked...

Before I answer let me state that I will be making some very broad and sweeping statements that clearly do not apply to all women, in particular I doubt they apply to women who are cool enough to hang out regularly on a message board that originally was dedicated to all things football (I am looking at you Mrs. BSR, Macartist, e-mom etc.). Additionally all of the things I am about to say apply equally to the men in this country, except the part about paying for dinner.

It is quite simple IMO I think that America is about as uptight a country as you will find in this world, short of the hardcore muslim states or military juntas.

[RANT]

Here we go...

American women are the first ones to demand equality in all things except when it comes to paying the bill for dinner. How about offering to go dutch once in awhile? We probably will still insist on paying but at least OFFER for goodness sake!!!. Especially in a time when many women earn as much if not more than their s.o.

American women are also far more likely to be influenced by quality of possessions or at least the perception of quality. What kind of car does he drive? is a great example. e.g. I drive a Pontiac Vibe, I can afford a Mercedes but I chose an economical car that gets great gas mileage, has very low emissions and a 5 star safety rating because these things are important to me, besides it's just a freaking car. But try explaining this to a date in Los Angeles and all she sees is "cheap car". Yeesh!

And what about all the potential rules and hoops that American women seem to expect the men to jump through? All these potential deal breakers. I dated a girl once who broke it off after ONE TIME I *gasp* failed to walk next to her on the traffic side of the sidewalk! True story. Apparently this was in her rule book as a deal breaker. Give me a break.

As I said above these things apply to American men too, this point in particular: With our advertising culture our expectations are ridiculously high and as a result American women have far less tolerance for flaws in their mate. I am not saying Naomi Campbell should date Tom Arnold but I know a girl who broke up with her boyfriend because he had ugly feet! No kidding. (for those who think I may be hideously ugly and hoping for women with lower expectations I will be happy to send a pic so you can judge for yourself. Who knows, maybe I am Quasimoto's shorter, dumber, uglier cousin and simply don't realize it. PM me).

And then there is sex. Wow are American women uptight about sex or what? I am not saying that women in other countries are more sexually promiscuous than American women rather they are not afraid to admit that they actually *gasp* enjoy sex too (RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!). It seems that American women use sex as a tool to gain control of their relationships and forget the fact that it is pleasurable for them too...or at least it should be.

Not to get off topic but in particular I think the sexual tension levels in this country are reaching critical mass and are going to explode soon. And I also think the solution IMO is quite simple, we need more boobs on television. For real. What's the big deal? We show so much violence and hate on television what would be so wrong to show something that 1) people will watch and 2) will actually cause feelings of pleasure and happiness rather than create angst from which the only positive feeling one gets is a sense of "Thank G-D that didn't happen to me." Though it creates the dual effect of making people believe that these horrible things like you see on Law&Order: SVU not only can happen but are, in fact, likely to happen. These things are far less of an issue in other countries and frankly I am fed up!

THESE PRETZLES ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!!!!

[/RANT]

happiness + quality of life > work
Agreed.

American exchange students = speed :yes:
yeah, that's the funny part... American Exchange students are the loosest possible when over seas... at home, not so much... not that it's a bad thing... :banned:
I have seen this too.

:useless:
<-----------------------
Low mileage?

Can I kick the tires? :ph34r:

I sincerely worry this response will get me either flamed, banned or both but since you asked...

Before I answer let me state that I will be making some very broad and sweeping statements that clearly do not apply to all women, in particular I doubt they apply to women who are cool enough to hang out regularly on a message board that originally was dedicated to all things football (I am looking at you Mrs. BSR, Macartist, e-mom etc.). Additionally all of the things I am about to say apply equally to the men in this country, except the part about paying for dinner.

It is quite simple IMO I think that America is about as uptight a country as you will find in this world, short of the hardcore muslim states or military juntas.

[RANT]

Here we go...

American women are the first ones to demand equality in all things except when it comes to paying the bill for dinner. How about offering to go dutch once in awhile? We probably will still insist on paying but at least OFFER for goodness sake!!!. Especially in a time when many women earn as much if not more than their s.o.

American women are also far more likely to be influenced by quality of possessions or at least the perception of quality. What kind of car does he drive? is a great example. e.g. I drive a Pontiac Vibe, I can afford a Mercedes but I chose an economical car that gets great gas mileage, has very low emissions and a 5 star safety rating because these things are important to me, besides it's just a freaking car. But try explaining this to a date in Los Angeles and all she sees is "cheap car". Yeesh!

And what about all the potential rules and hoops that American women seem to expect the men to jump through? All these potential deal breakers. I dated a girl once who broke it off after ONE TIME I *gasp* failed to walk next to her on the traffic side of the sidewalk! True story. Apparently this was in her rule book as a deal breaker. Give me a break.

As I said above these things apply to American men too, this point in particular: With our advertising culture our expectations are ridiculously high and as a result American women have far less tolerance for flaws in their mate. I am not saying Naomi Campbell should date Tom Arnold but I know a girl who broke up with her boyfriend because he had ugly feet! No kidding. (for those who think I may be hideously ugly and hoping for women with lower expectations I will be happy to send a pic so you can judge for yourself. Who knows, maybe I am Quasimoto's shorter, dumber, uglier cousin and simply don't realize it. PM me).

And then there is sex. Wow are American women uptight about sex or what? I am not saying that women in other countries are more sexually promiscuous than American women rather they are not afraid to admit that they actually *gasp* enjoy sex too (RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!). It seems that American women use sex as a tool to gain control of their relationships and forget the fact that it is pleasurable for them too...or at least it should be.

Not to get off topic but in particular I think the sexual tension levels in this country are reaching critical mass and are going to explode soon. And I also think the solution IMO is quite simple, we need more boobs on television. For real. What's the big deal? We show so much violence and hate on television what would be so wrong to show something that 1) people will watch and 2) will actually cause feelings of pleasure and happiness rather than create angst from which the only positive feeling one gets is a sense of "Thank G-D that didn't happen to me." Though it creates the dual effect of making people believe that these horrible things like you see on Law&Order: SVU not only can happen but are, in fact, likely to happen. These things are far less of an issue in other countries and frankly I am fed up!

[/RANT]

[/ slowclap]

[RANT]

Here we go...

[/RANT]

[/ slowclap]

[/ building . . .]

[/ standing O]

Thank you for sharing your rant. Im pretty sure lots will agree with you including me

No problem.[Waiting for the other shoe to drop]

Archived