What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (3 Viewers)

Concept Coop said:
Question for those that have Best ranked a lot higher than CJ Spiller: Do you like Best's talent more and did you like him more before the NFL Draft? I would take Best over Spiller, based on what we have seen this season, so far. But I viewed them as pretty close after the NFL draft. I like Spiller more before the draft. But I seem to have them ranked closer than most, at this point in their careers.
Very interesting question. I myself find them very equal value wise.Spiller has never missed a game going back to high school, but might not have the obscene upside of Best. Spiller can still be an elite fantasy player without the huge injury issues but Best could be the #1 fantasy back down the road.Very hard to judge the overall value longterm, but i'd side with Spiller because i think he can be a longterm top 10 fantasy RB and currently has never missed a game since he was in pee-wee ball.

identikit said:
Go deep said:
Sure, because no other coach and/or team in the entire NFL has a prolific offense and know how to use a very good rb.
Obviously this is the part we disagree on.
Actually, I can respect your opinion on AF himself; it's the corner you painted yourself into regarding every other team in the NFL.
What did i say about every other NFL team? Of course there are alot of teams with prolific offenses, but having Foster wouldnt improve their offense in my opinion. Which prolific offense in the NFL do you think Foster could go to an be an instant upgrade to what that team already has? The only one i can think of is the Packers, but any RB with a pulse could help the Packers.

identikit said:
Go deep said:
Sure, because no other coach and/or team in the entire NFL has a prolific offense and know how to use a very good rb.
Actually, I can respect your opinion on AF himself; it's the corner you painted yourself into regarding every other team in the NFL.
What did i say about every other NFL team? Of course there are alot of teams with prolific offenses, but having Foster wouldnt improve their offense in my opinion. Which prolific offense in the NFL do you think Foster could go to an be an instant upgrade to what that team already has? The only one i can think of is the Packers, but any RB with a pulse could help the Packers.
PackersPatriots

Colts (I don't buy Addai being anything more than very average, which Foster is better than)

Broncos

3 elite offenses and 1 very good offense that all would benefit TREMENDOUSLY from having Foster on their roster, in my opinion.

identikit said:
Go deep said:
PackersPatriots

Colts (I don't buy Addai being anything more than very average, which Foster is better than)

Broncos

3 elite offenses and 1 very good offense that all would benefit TREMENDOUSLY from having Foster on their roster, in my opinion.
That is because you think Foster is more talented than i think he is.

You're right that Adrian Peterson is such a sublime talent that he'd remain a stud no matter where he was, and that Arian Foster is not at that level. That's why Adrian is a tier 1 back with a value score of 98 100 while Arian is a tier 2 back with a value score of 82. There's a huge gap between those two players. I'm not comparing Foster to Peterson, though... I'm comparing him to guys like Ryan Mathews, Beanie Wells, or Lesean McCoy. Foster is every bit as talented as those guys, and he's in a better situation, to boot. The result is that he gets ranked above those guys. I think Foster is as talented as Mendenhall, so Foster gets ranked near Mendenhall (a bit below because Mendenhall is a slightly more secure investment, but all in all pretty comparable- I've got Foster at value 82 and Mendy at value 84).

Arian Foster is not a top 5 talent. That's why Arian Foster doesn't have a top-5 ranking. I do think he's a top 12 talent, though, which is a lot more than most people are giving him credit for. He's not Matt Forte or Joseph Addai here- a mediocre-to-below-average RB whose value is wholly and completely derived from his situation, a guy who is basically just filling in until his team goes about securing a more adequate replacement. He's better than that.
It's really semantics, but I've updated your post for what it should really read... :mellow:
To be honest, I'm on board with that. I haven't really been touching the "big 4" since the season started because I don't think any of them have done enough to really alter my initial thoughts on them, but if I were jumbling them up and re-ranking from scratch, I'd have Peterson at value 100 and MJD at value 99.
PranksterJD said:
Interesting to see some of the bigger proponents of pedigree jumping on the Foster bandwagon as a long term solution. Not that the UDFA is a problem, just that they're writing off Tate as a non-factor. I'm not sure that the Texans will be willing to throw away a 2nd rounder as quickly.

Here's my take...

Foster's got skills. He has talent, but as has been said, its not transcendent, so a lot of his current value is boosted by his current situation, while his future value is limited by the same. He is Pierre Thomas, though maybe a bit more talented. That lack of transcendent talent, though, is the problem, in that there's a highly drafted RB sitting on IR ready to take some work next year.

The bottom line is that there's little downside to selling by the end of 2010, and lots of downside to keeping him. Does anyone believe that he's got the talent to **become** a top 4 RB? I doubt it. So, ride the lightning through 2010, and move him after, even if it seems like a lateral move by the rankings. Get Mendenhall. Get Stewart, Mathews, or Best. The floor for that crew seems quite a bit higher than the worst case for Foster, while Foster's ceiling isn't much higher ( if at all ).

My first targets for Foster would be to try and add pieces to get to a top 4 runner, but if that fell through then I'd be more than happy to take Mendenhall for him. I'd be even happier to take McCoy or Beanie and get something else. Its worth it just to eliminate the risks.

In full disclosure, on the one team where I owned Foster, I sold him after week 1 for Jon Stewart. I think that move was less than optimal, but only the timing, not the pieces. As foster has continued his pace, I likely could have gotten the same deal in the offseason while enjoying Foster's production this year. However, it was worth the move to me as I have more confidence in Stewart long term, so I'm sleeping a little better at night. I've seen how quickly these RB5-10 guys can become RB25 guys.

Early 2011 will be very interesting. Per rotoworld, Foster is a RFA next year, so watching the Texans decisions on how much to pay the man is going to say a lot about whether he's a special back, or just a guy in a special scheme.
I'm not writing off Ben Tate. I never liked him in the first place.Also, I agree with the Arian Foster/Pierre Thomas comparison, but fail to see how it's a negative. If Pierre Thomas was the workhorse, I'd have him in my dynasty top 10. Arian Foster is basically Pierre Thomas, except a workhorse to boot. The result is a top 10 dynasty ranking.

I disagree with this idea that Ryan Mathews has a higher floor. I haven't seen enough of Mathews to make definitive judgments, but if I was going to rate his talent level, I'd put him right on par with Arian Foster. Foster is as talented as Rashard Mendenhall. Foster might not be as talented as Jahvid Best (again, I want to see more from Best before saying anything definitively), but Best has a *MUCH* lower floor than Arian Foster because he has a serious history of concussions and because he plays for the Lions.

Concept Coop said:
Lets not forget that Slaton was a special talent, top 10 dynasty back, and the future of the Houston ground game at one time too. Kubiak ruined that, whether that was right or wrong. It is very fair and accurate to say that most NFL caliber running backs can put up good numbers in Houston's offense. It is also very fair and accurate to say that Kubiak seems to view his backs and interchangeable, making it easier for someone to lose their job, ala Steve Slaton. It isn't black or white, and you are trying to make it so, by clinging to perceived inconsistent comment. Pulling up an old post, made before Tate got hurt, is a classless move, in my opinion. Before Tate got hurt, it looked like it was going to be a full-blown RBBC, with Kubiak benching them all on a rotating basis. The "gem" you are harping on was actually a pretty logical statement, at the time.
Can we put a moratorium on the Steve Slaton talk? Has nobody noticed yet that the guys who are highest on Arian Foster are the exact same guys who were lowest on Steve Slaton? Yes, some people bought into the idea that Steve Slaton was a top-10 dynasty back once upon a time. However, those guys aren't the ones that are buying on Arian Foster right now. The guys buying Foster are the guys who were calling Slaton a mirage.I was as slow as everyone else to warm to the idea that Arian Foster was anything other than a stop-gap solution in Houston. Then I watched him play. He's much better than I was giving him credit for. He's much better than everyone else in this thread is giving him credit for.

Dr. Octopus said:
I know that draft position doesn't mean everything - especially after players have been in the league for a while, but do you think that Foster could perform much better than all of these former first (or second) round picks if he was in their situation? SD, Arizona, Chicago and Indy have some of the worst run blocking lines in the NFL.

This isn't to knock Foster, as I do like him quite a bit, but I don't see how is compares to a Beanie Wells or how he's head and shoulders (talentwise) above a guy like Joe Addai. If Foster played in a pass first offense while running behind a horrid o-line, I think he'd end up with similiar numbers to what Addai is producing.
I disagree. I think Foster is substantially better than Addai. He's not just head and shoulders above Joe Addai, he's head, shoulders, knees, and toes (knees and toes!) better than Joe Addai. Eyes and ears and mouth and nose better than Addai.

Herm23 said:
To spark a new conversation, because the Arian Foster discussion has mostly run its course for now, what are people's thoughts on Beanie Wells at this point?Almost everyone that has watched him play would agree he most definitely passes the eye test, yet he has been completely unable to take the starting job away from Tim Hightower (a mediocre player). What are we attributing this to- pure stubborn foolishness by his head coach? Injuries? Are we overrating his skill?Are people still as high on his long term prospects?
Personally, I think he's overrated. I hear the "Beanie Wells is 95% of Adrian Peterson" line a lot, and I think it's total hogwash. 95% of Adrian Peterson wouldn't be sitting on the bench watching Tim Hightower steal all the snaps.
Concept Coop said:
Question for those that have Best ranked a lot higher than CJ Spiller: Do you like Best's talent more and did you like him more before the NFL Draft? I would take Best over Spiller, based on what we have seen this season, so far. But I viewed them as pretty close after the NFL draft. I like Spiller more before the draft. But I seem to have them ranked closer than most, at this point in their careers.
The gap between Best and Spiller in my rankings is essentially the same today as it was in my initial set of rankings back at the beginning of August. Neither rookie has seen much movement yet. From what little we've seen, I feel that any movement at this point would be premature.Spiller's value literally hasn't changed once in any of my updates, although his rank has changed as he's been leapfrogged by a couple of guys behind him (e.g. Darren McFadden). Best got one value bump after his huge game, but he's been ranked 12th, 11th, or 10th in every rankings update I've done (he's currently 11th).
Is Colston no longer a top flight WR? I am curious as if you would prefer V-Jackson or Colston right now in a dynasty league ?I am being offered Colston for V-Jackson. Right now my team is tied for 4th-7th place. Top 6 make playoffs.Do I take Colston and try and win now or hold onto V-Jax ?I think coming into the year they would have ranked very closely going forward but with Colston struggles that has me worried but V-Jax situation is wierd as well.
Colston hasn't been a top-flight WR for a while now. Again, looking at my ranking archives, he's remained totally unchanged so far this season (value 75 in every rankings update). To quote Denny Green, he is who we thought he was- the most talented WR on a team whose top WR changes on a weekly basis. I've had Vincent Jackson ahead of him by a noticeable margin through every ranking update so far. I think Vincent Jackson is a long-term fantasy WR1 (or, at the very worst, one of the strongest fantasy WR2s in the game). I think Marques Colston's long-term outlook is middling WR2. He's Santonio Holmes with more hype. Had Holmes remained in Pittsburgh, I'd probably view both of those guys as totally interchangeable.

humpback said:
Go deep said:
Again, these aren't necessarily the best and certainly aren't all of the quotes, but plenty of them were made after Tate was injured and/or had nothing to do with Tate. It's funny to me how some people think Houston is a terrible spot for a FF RB while others think it's great.
Im going to explain this one more time. The Houston situation is GREAT for a RB, if that RB could somehow be assured of job security. I think everyone agrees on that. The part that people are disagreeing with here is how secure of a hold Foster has on the job at this point.
I'm going to explain this one more time- we're in the dynasty thread, so we're talking long term value. You said yourself that Houston is NOT a great long term spot for a RB, yet other people are saying his dynasty value would plummet if you took him out of Houston, so they obviously think Houston is a great long term spot for him. Get it?
Your logic is flawed. Saying that his value would plummet if you took him out of Houston does not prove (or disprove) that they think Houston is a great long term spot for him.Get it?

GreatLakesMike said:
Herm23 said:
To spark a new conversation, because the Arian Foster discussion has mostly run its course for now, what are people's thoughts on Beanie Wells at this point?Almost everyone that has watched him play would agree he most definitely passes the eye test, yet he has been completely unable to take the starting job away from Tim Hightower (a mediocre player). What are we attributing this to- pure stubborn foolishness by his head coach? Injuries? Are we overrating his skill?Are people still as high on his long term prospects?
I think it's a bit early to panic. Beanie was hurt the first two games and Arizona was out of the game before it started last week. That said, Whisenhunt comes across as a guy who likes to play games and teach lessons. That worries me more than anything.ETA: Another thing to consider is that Beanie just turned 22.
He was more than "hurt" - he had friggin' knee surgery! Beanie is a buy low candidate now IMO.

humpback said:
Go deep said:
Again, these aren't necessarily the best and certainly aren't all of the quotes, but plenty of them were made after Tate was injured and/or had nothing to do with Tate. It's funny to me how some people think Houston is a terrible spot for a FF RB while others think it's great.
Im going to explain this one more time. The Houston situation is GREAT for a RB, if that RB could somehow be assured of job security. I think everyone agrees on that. The part that people are disagreeing with here is how secure of a hold Foster has on the job at this point.
I'm going to explain this one more time- we're in the dynasty thread, so we're talking long term value. You said yourself that Houston is NOT a great long term spot for a RB, yet other people are saying his dynasty value would plummet if you took him out of Houston, so they obviously think Houston is a great long term spot for him. Get it?
Your logic is flawed. Saying that his value would plummet if you took him out of Houston does not prove (or disprove) that they think Houston is a great long term spot for him.Get it?
Enlighten me- what does it mean then?

Last edited by a moderator:
humpback said:
Go deep said:
There are three factors being discussed. 1. Some people believe Foster is in an excellent system for his mediocre talent

2. Some people believe that Houston is an excellent spot for running backs

3. Some people believe that Foster's job security is very low

Thus, they feel if Foster were to lose his role, or if he went to another system, he would fail. It would have absolutely nothing to do with Houston being a great long-term spot for [starting Houston RB].

What they're saying is that Foster isn't succeeding on his own merits, and that if he left the cozy confines of the Houston Texans and went to, say, Buffalo, that he'd be a middling talent on a middling team and not worth all the hub-bub. If he stays in Houston, though, it's an excellent fit that boosts his value significantly.

By the way, I'm a believer in Foster, and in the "he's really good" camp. Hope this helps clarify.

I'll admit I didn't search the past 10 weeks of posts to see if this had been discussed, but I find myself having a hard time putting a value on Stafford. I'm toying with trying to acquire him in my league. While certainly he has the physical attributes for NFL success, and has good weapons around him, he really hasn't done anything (in my mind) to increase or decrease his dynasty value since day one (mostly due to time missed with injury).

On one hand, in our dynasty league Stafford I think was drafted around #8 (12 team league)...and so far he's done "as expected" for a young QB, making me think that he is about the same value as on draft day his rookie year.

On the other hand, young stud QBs are hard to come by (not that Stafford is a stud...yet). And current-day Stafford has some value over a hypothetical 2011 rookie QB just because 1.5 years of the "waiting period" for him to develop has already happened.

I'm in the middle of a dreaded "rebuild" and my QBs are off the scrap heap (Cassel, Gradkowski, Garrard). The guys with Stafford has Peyton Manning and Flacco as well. I have multiple firsts in each of the next few years so my dilemma is to spend a couple of those acquiring stafford, or just try and get my future QB through the draft and free agency.

Any thoughts on Stafford's development, dynasty potential, and value?

There are three factors being discussed. 1. Some people believe Foster is in an excellent system for his mediocre talent2. Some people believe that Houston is an excellent spot for running backs3. Some people believe that Foster's job security is very lowThus, they feel if Foster were to lose his role, or if he went to another system, he would fail. It would have absolutely nothing to do with Houston being a great long-term spot for [starting Houston RB]. What they're saying is that Foster isn't succeeding on his own merits, and that if he left the cozy confines of the Houston Texans and went to, say, Buffalo, that he'd be a middling talent on a middling team and not worth all the hub-bub. If he stays in Houston, though, it's an excellent fit that boosts his value significantly.By the way, I'm a believer in Foster, and in the "he's really good" camp. Hope this helps clarify.
Thanks for the attempt, but it doesn't clarify it for me. His talent is the same no matter what system he is in. If he went to another system and wasn't as successful, then that system isn't as good for him. How could his value plummet if he went to an equally good spot? In your example, his value would plummet because Houston is a far superior spot than Buffalo.

I'll admit I didn't search the past 10 weeks of posts to see if this had been discussed, but I find myself having a hard time putting a value on Stafford. I'm toying with trying to acquire him in my league. While certainly he has the physical attributes for NFL success, and has good weapons around him, he really hasn't done anything (in my mind) to increase or decrease his dynasty value since day one (mostly due to time missed with injury). On one hand, in our dynasty league Stafford I think was drafted around #8 (12 team league)...and so far he's done "as expected" for a young QB, making me think that he is about the same value as on draft day his rookie year.On the other hand, young stud QBs are hard to come by (not that Stafford is a stud...yet). And current-day Stafford has some value over a hypothetical 2011 rookie QB just because 1.5 years of the "waiting period" for him to develop has already happened.I'm in the middle of a dreaded "rebuild" and my QBs are off the scrap heap (Cassel, Gradkowski, Garrard). The guys with Stafford has Peyton Manning and Flacco as well. I have multiple firsts in each of the next few years so my dilemma is to spend a couple of those acquiring stafford, or just try and get my future QB through the draft and free agency.Any thoughts on Stafford's development, dynasty potential, and value?
I pretty much agree with your take. I like Stafford, I think he's going to be a good QB, but we haven't been able to see as much as we would like because of injuries. I would take him over the rookie QBs coming out next year for the reasons you said, but I don't think you have to necessarily spend multiple 1st round picks to get him (unless they are late picks). I agree that his value hasn't changed a whole lot, so try offering a similar pick to what he was taken with. It makes sense to go after him now if you're rebuilding because his value isn't so high, and since that guy already has Peyton and Flacco, he might be up for it.

There are three factors being discussed. 1. Some people believe Foster is in an excellent system for his mediocre talent2. Some people believe that Houston is an excellent spot for running backs3. Some people believe that Foster's job security is very lowThus, they feel if Foster were to lose his role, or if he went to another system, he would fail. It would have absolutely nothing to do with Houston being a great long-term spot for [starting Houston RB]. What they're saying is that Foster isn't succeeding on his own merits, and that if he left the cozy confines of the Houston Texans and went to, say, Buffalo, that he'd be a middling talent on a middling team and not worth all the hub-bub. If he stays in Houston, though, it's an excellent fit that boosts his value significantly.By the way, I'm a believer in Foster, and in the "he's really good" camp. Hope this helps clarify.
Thanks for the attempt, but it doesn't clarify it for me. His talent is the same no matter what system he is in. If he went to another system and wasn't as successful, then that system isn't as good for him. How could his value plummet if he went to an equally good spot? In your example, his value would plummet because Houston is a far superior spot than Buffalo.
If I may interject; I think the perception is there really is no "better spot" - or even one that is equally as good. In Houston he is part of a high powered passing offense with a stud #1 WR who draws extra attention and an efficient zone blocking running scheme - both aspects contribute immensly to his success and play to the strengths of his running style. There are probably few if any systems that would fit the same description. Even place like Indy and GB run a different blocking sheme up front - and both lack a dominant #1 WR that draws the safety help that Johnson does.

If I may interject; I think the perception is there really is no "better spot" - or even one that is equally as good. In Houston he is part of a high powered passing offense with a stud #1 WR who draws extra attention and an efficient zone blocking running scheme - both aspects contribute immensly to his success and play to the strengths of his running style. There are probably few if any systems that would fit the same description. Even place like Indy and GB run a different blocking sheme up front - and both lack a dominant #1 WR that draws the safety help that Johnson does.
Way too much time has been spent on this already, but I don't think that is the consensus. I'm sure most people think it's a very good spot for him, and some feel it's the best, but not everyone does. Some people put a lot of weight on the so called "Kubiak shuffle" at RB.I have no problem with someone saying that Houston is the best spot for him, so his value would fall if he went elsewhere. I don't necessarily agree, but that logic makes sense at least. My issue is with all of the inconsistencies. People saying Houston isn't a great spot, but then saying his value would plummet if he went anywhere else. People saying it is a great spot in some arguments, not so great in others. Etc. I fully understand that there are some really good things and some not so good about the Houston running situation, just like there are in every case. However, you can only have one overall opinion on it. Is it a great spot (maybe even the best) or not, factoring in the negatives as well as the positives? If you ranked all 32 teams running situations, where does Houston fall for you? Form an opinion and stick with it, or at least don't bother arguing if you can't decide.Anyway, carry on...

Concept Coop said:
HenryMuto said:
Is Colston no longer a top flight WR? I am curious as if you would prefer V-Jackson or Colston right now in a dynasty league ?I am being offered Colston for V-Jackson. Right now my team is tied for 4th-7th place. Top 6 make playoffs.Do I take Colston and try and win now or hold onto V-Jax ?I think coming into the year they would have ranked very closely going forward but with Colston struggles that has me worried but V-Jax situation is wierd as well.
I think it is close, actually. Coltson is having a bad stretch, but he will put up some monster games this season. I like Jackson more as a player, but we don't know where he'll end up or when. Plus, his behavior is starting to be an issue, I think. But that is not the important part. The important part is that the other owner likes Jackson more. So make him pay more. Counter with a draft pick. Either a 2nd, or a 1st/2nd swap.
I tried the 1st/2nd swap and he told me to pound salt.

SSOG said:
PranksterJD said:
Interesting to see some of the bigger proponents of pedigree jumping on the Foster bandwagon as a long term solution. Not that the UDFA is a problem, just that they're writing off Tate as a non-factor. I'm not sure that the Texans will be willing to throw away a 2nd rounder as quickly.Here's my take...Foster's got skills. He has talent, but as has been said, its not transcendent, so a lot of his current value is boosted by his current situation, while his future value is limited by the same. He is Pierre Thomas, though maybe a bit more talented. That lack of transcendent talent, though, is the problem, in that there's a highly drafted RB sitting on IR ready to take some work next year. The bottom line is that there's little downside to selling by the end of 2010, and lots of downside to keeping him. Does anyone believe that he's got the talent to **become** a top 4 RB? I doubt it. So, ride the lightning through 2010, and move him after, even if it seems like a lateral move by the rankings. Get Mendenhall. Get Stewart, Mathews, or Best. The floor for that crew seems quite a bit higher than the worst case for Foster, while Foster's ceiling isn't much higher ( if at all ).My first targets for Foster would be to try and add pieces to get to a top 4 runner, but if that fell through then I'd be more than happy to take Mendenhall for him. I'd be even happier to take McCoy or Beanie and get something else. Its worth it just to eliminate the risks.In full disclosure, on the one team where I owned Foster, I sold him after week 1 for Jon Stewart. I think that move was less than optimal, but only the timing, not the pieces. As foster has continued his pace, I likely could have gotten the same deal in the offseason while enjoying Foster's production this year. However, it was worth the move to me as I have more confidence in Stewart long term, so I'm sleeping a little better at night. I've seen how quickly these RB5-10 guys can become RB25 guys.Early 2011 will be very interesting. Per rotoworld, Foster is a RFA next year, so watching the Texans decisions on how much to pay the man is going to say a lot about whether he's a special back, or just a guy in a special scheme.
I'm not writing off Ben Tate. I never liked him in the first place.Also, I agree with the Arian Foster/Pierre Thomas comparison, but fail to see how it's a negative. If Pierre Thomas was the workhorse, I'd have him in my dynasty top 10. Arian Foster is basically Pierre Thomas, except a workhorse to boot. The result is a top 10 dynasty ranking.I disagree with this idea that Ryan Mathews has a higher floor. I haven't seen enough of Mathews to make definitive judgments, but if I was going to rate his talent level, I'd put him right on par with Arian Foster. Foster is as talented as Rashard Mendenhall. Foster might not be as talented as Jahvid Best (again, I want to see more from Best before saying anything definitively), but Best has a *MUCH* lower floor than Arian Foster because he has a serious history of concussions and because he plays for the Lions.
Whether you believe in Tate or not is irrelevant. The Texans believe(d) in Tate. I was just commenting on the fact that Tate will get a chance to make an impact, and if he makes even enough impact to become Mike Bell on the 2009 Saints, then its just another reason why the Pierre Thomas comparison could be a negative. Somebody's got to trot out that Kubiak only rolls a workhorse runner, but Martz never used his TE either... until he did.Truly though, I don't think the Pierre Thomas comparison is a negative, but then again I don't think of highly as Foster ( or Thomas, apparently ) as you do. Pierre is not a Top 10 dynasty back. He's not, under any circumstances. If Reggie hadn't gotten hurt, Pierre would be the workhorse, and he **might** be a top 10 redraft back, but the Saints have shown year after year that they don't believe Thomas is anything special. The job is his long-term to the extent that he's willing to accept monies less than his production dictates. I have a sneaking suspicion that Foster will have to make the same choice, especially since a 2nd round pick will be leverage for the Texans.Mathews has a higher floor, as does Best and Mendenhall, in so much that their respective teams almost **cannot** bench them, even in poor performances. You've said yourself how first round backs get a "pass". Foster will not be granted that same luxury. He's already been benched last year due to fumbles, and had Tate not been injured, it is a complete unknown as to whether he would have gotten another shot. Logic says its probable given the skills he's shown, but its far from guaranteed... while Mathews and Best **will** get that chance. That's all I'm talking about here.To me, Foster's floor in 2011 ( assuming no lockout ;) ) is zero. The likelihood of hitting that floor is minimal, but there are two or three other (relatively) talented backs on that roster that are chomping at the bit should Foster start drop the ball, and seeing out-of-the-woodwork guys put up Foster's stat lines in one year only to fade away the next isn't exactly uncommon. However, barring a catastrophic injury on Best's part, he doesn't have that problem. As well, I truly fail to see how the Lions give Best a low floor, especially since his coach needs a box of Kleenex every time he sees him run.

GreatLakesMike said:
Herm23 said:
I think it's a bit early to panic. Beanie was hurt the first two games and Arizona was out of the game before it started last week. That said, Whisenhunt comes across as a guy who likes to play games and teach lessons. That worries me more than anything.ETA: Another thing to consider is that Beanie just turned 22.
The ability of this teams hierarchy to make good personnel decisions is very suspect to me. Knowing that Warner was probably going to retire, they did nothing substantive to replace him. They had to know what they had in Leinart or at least they should have. Giving them the benefit of the doubt in this situation, they bring in Derek Anderson as insurance and wait so long to make a decision on Leinart? Terrible decision making. The fact that Wells isn't getting more playing time because of some talent issue does not carry much weight to me when the decision makers are who they are.

lyon812 said:
What they're saying is that Foster isn't succeeding on his own merits, and that if he left the cozy confines of the Houston Texans and went to, say, Buffalo, that he'd be a middling talent on a middling team and not worth all the hub-bub. If he stays in Houston, though, it's an excellent fit that boosts his value significantly.By the way, I'm a believer in Foster, and in the "he's really good" camp. Hope this helps clarify.
Someone on this board mentioned this, and it bears repeating: there's very little mediocre talent in the NFL. There is a ton of great talent on almost every roster. The quality that separates an average talent from a quality talent is effort and discipline. We've seen plenty of WRs come into the NFL drafted in the first round only to fail. Most often, they weren't mediocre talents. They were usually really talented players that thought they could coast on talent alone.

Colston vs V-Jackson who would you prefer in a PPR dynasty league going forward ?

Colston is playing now in an elite offense and can you help my team now but man he has done almost nothing so far avg only 9 pts a week.

V-Jackson is an elite talent but who knows where this guy ends up after this year.

Does he end up on a team where he will become an elite WR or end up on a poor passing offense ?

I am struggling on this decision.

Where are the links to the updated rankings ?

We really need some PPR rankings as well for dynasty around here.

Colston vs V-Jackson who would you prefer in a PPR dynasty league going forward ?Colston is playing now in an elite offense and can you help my team now but man he has done almost nothing so far avg only 9 pts a week.V-Jackson is an elite talent but who knows where this guy ends up after this year.Does he end up on a team where he will become an elite WR or end up on a poor passing offense ?I am struggling on this decision. Where are the links to the updated rankings ?We really need some PPR rankings as well for dynasty around here.
Well no one can predict the future, so it's hard to gauge.I would say that Vincent is more talented.Now if Vincent goes to a team and is the clear 1, than he would have great value.But at this point, it's impossible to say who will go where and what the situation will be a year from now.So I'd go with the guy who you believe has the most talent.

Colston vs V-Jackson who would you prefer in a PPR dynasty league going forward ?Colston is playing now in an elite offense and can you help my team now but man he has done almost nothing so far avg only 9 pts a week.V-Jackson is an elite talent but who knows where this guy ends up after this year.Does he end up on a team where he will become an elite WR or end up on a poor passing offense ?I am struggling on this decision. Where are the links to the updated rankings ?We really need some PPR rankings as well for dynasty around here.
Well no one can predict the future, so it's hard to gauge.I would say that Vincent is more talented.Now if Vincent goes to a team and is the clear 1, than he would have great value.But at this point, it's impossible to say who will go where and what the situation will be a year from now.So I'd go with the guy who you believe has the most talent.
I don't believe Colston has more talent then V-Jax but I did the deal I got Colston, Ricky Williams and my own 1st round pick back while giving up his 1st back to him and V-JaxThis gives me a chance to compete this year and Colston and V-Jax are probably a wash anyway in a dynasty format right now.

I don't believe Colston has more talent then V-Jax but I did the deal I got Colston, Ricky Williams and my own 1st round pick back while giving up his 1st back to him and V-JaxThis gives me a chance to compete this year and Colston and V-Jax are probably a wash anyway in a dynasty format right now.
Can you please stop using this as your own personal Assistant Coach forum?

RazorbackPete said:
+1 - Please stop, no one cares about your crappy trades.
No offense guys, but that accounts for probably a quarter of the posts (and ensuing discussion) in this thread. Does it really matter if someone asks for advice on a trade? We usually end up with some good discussion about individual players and their relative values out of it (which, based on the title of the thread, is what we're going for).

Well no one can predict the future, so it's hard to gauge.
:lmao: isn't that what this entire thread and 99% of the shark pool is about?
RazorbackPete said:
No offense guys, but that accounts for probably a quarter of the posts (and ensuing discussion) in this thread. Does it really matter if someone asks for advice on a trade? We usually end up with some good discussion about individual players and their relative values out of it (which, based on the title of the thread, is what we're going for).
I agree with this but there's a line between "evaluate Colston vs. VJax" and comments about how each player affects an individual FF team. that line is where we're looking at the composition of the rosters and discussing why it makes sense for his team instead of the merits of the players. I don't think he crossed it here but it's getting close.

RazorbackPete said:
Just because people can turn HenryMuto's Assistant Coach Forum questions into legitimate discussions doesnt mean he shouldnt be called out for them.There is a big difference between discussing player values and what HenryMuto is doing.

RazorbackPete said:
Just because people can turn HenryMuto's Assistant Coach Forum questions into legitimate discussions doesnt mean he shouldnt be called out for them.There is a big difference between discussing player values and what HenryMuto is doing.
:thumbup:

Whether you believe in Tate or not is irrelevant. The Texans believe(d) in Tate. I was just commenting on the fact that Tate will get a chance to make an impact, and if he makes even enough impact to become Mike Bell on the 2009 Saints, then its just another reason why the Pierre Thomas comparison could be a negative. Somebody's got to trot out that Kubiak only rolls a workhorse runner, but Martz never used his TE either... until he did.
It's not irrelevant. When I rank players, I either have the choice to rank them based on what I think of them, or to rank them based on what their team thinks of them. I go the former route, which is why Jamaal Charles is in my top 10. I think Ben Tate is bad and will not steal carries from Arian Foster. I rank accordingly.
There is a big difference between discussing player values and what HenryMuto is doing.
Agreed. I didn't mind so much the first time he solicited VJax/Colston comparisons, even though I'm sick of talking about VJax, mostly because I could use it as an opportunity to talk a little bit about Colston. The big problem was when Muto came back a second time and asked the exact same question because he wanted more feedback on it. ACF posts are poor form, but can sometimes result in decent discussion. Continually coming back with repeated ACF questions (or even worse, the same question multiple times because you want even more feedback) is just annoying, though.

Nothing.It's simple logic here, dude. Someone said, "if he leaves Houston, then his value plummets." In other words, leaving Houston would be sufficient, but not necessary, to prove that his value plummets. If the first condition does not happen, his statement has NO bearing on the second statement... and even LESS bearing on whether they think Houston is a good long-term situation.

I'll admit I didn't search the past 10 weeks of posts to see if this had been discussed, but I find myself having a hard time putting a value on Stafford. I'm toying with trying to acquire him in my league. While certainly he has the physical attributes for NFL success, and has good weapons around him, he really hasn't done anything (in my mind) to increase or decrease his dynasty value since day one (mostly due to time missed with injury). On one hand, in our dynasty league Stafford I think was drafted around #8 (12 team league)...and so far he's done "as expected" for a young QB, making me think that he is about the same value as on draft day his rookie year.On the other hand, young stud QBs are hard to come by (not that Stafford is a stud...yet). And current-day Stafford has some value over a hypothetical 2011 rookie QB just because 1.5 years of the "waiting period" for him to develop has already happened.I'm in the middle of a dreaded "rebuild" and my QBs are off the scrap heap (Cassel, Gradkowski, Garrard). The guys with Stafford has Peyton Manning and Flacco as well. I have multiple firsts in each of the next few years so my dilemma is to spend a couple of those acquiring stafford, or just try and get my future QB through the draft and free agency.Any thoughts on Stafford's development, dynasty potential, and value?
I pretty much agree with your take. I like Stafford, I think he's going to be a good QB, but we haven't been able to see as much as we would like because of injuries. I would take him over the rookie QBs coming out next year for the reasons you said, but I don't think you have to necessarily spend multiple 1st round picks to get him (unless they are late picks). I agree that his value hasn't changed a whole lot, so try offering a similar pick to what he was taken with. It makes sense to go after him now if you're rebuilding because his value isn't so high, and since that guy already has Peyton and Flacco, he might be up for it.
Well i don't want to turn this into my own personal Assistant Coach Forum, but I advertised price for him is two first round picks. I was contemplating offering that, but one of those picks would definitely by toward the end of the first round.Regardless, the more general question/debate is: when in total rebuild with holes everywhere in your roster, is a player like Stafford (or similarly Sanchez or another young decent pedigree QB) worth potentially multiple draft picks (if you have them to spend)...or do you keep that money in your pocket and just hope that the draft and free agency can fill the QB hole over time? The Staffords and Sanchez's of the world have at least shown some potential, haven't totally flamed out, and have already over a season of "investment" time that you wouldn't have to spend on a rookie. On the other hand, a rookie probably costs much less. I am a fairly big proponent of the idea of "how long will it take before I know if this player is good" mentality that I think was discussed in this thread. We'll probably have a good idea of Stafford/Sanchez's true value by the end of 2011. A 2011 rookie may need to be nurtured until the end of 2013 before we would have a similar read.

Well i don't want to turn this into my own personal Assistant Coach Forum, but I advertised price for him is two first round picks. I was contemplating offering that, but one of those picks would definitely by toward the end of the first round.Regardless, the more general question/debate is: when in total rebuild with holes everywhere in your roster, is a player like Stafford (or similarly Sanchez or another young decent pedigree QB) worth potentially multiple draft picks (if you have them to spend)...or do you keep that money in your pocket and just hope that the draft and free agency can fill the QB hole over time? The Staffords and Sanchez's of the world have at least shown some potential, haven't totally flamed out, and have already over a season of "investment" time that you wouldn't have to spend on a rookie. On the other hand, a rookie probably costs much less. I am a fairly big proponent of the idea of "how long will it take before I know if this player is good" mentality that I think was discussed in this thread. We'll probably have a good idea of Stafford/Sanchez's true value by the end of 2011. A 2011 rookie may need to be nurtured until the end of 2013 before we would have a similar read.
I understand every dynasty league has its own valuations of the QB position, and certainly if you are in a large league, or a start 2 QB league that will drive up their value as well. So it's hard to know exactly how to value Sanchez or Stafford in YOUR league.However, if you have a "total rebuild" on your hands, "with holes everywhere in your roster", then I don't think you should be considering trading away ANY of those 1st rounders. It sounds like you'll need them...Have you tried offering a 2nd for Stafford or Sanchez? I'ld do that before I would consider giving up a 1st. Also, if you just can't help yourself, then at least float similar offers for a 'proven' QB and see if you can't get a better QB than Sanchez/Stafford if you're going to trade away a 1st rounder to get them anyways. You might be surprised at how much value 1st round picks hold especially in the weeks leading up to your rookie draft.

I find that total rebuild is a two part process for me:

1. TRADING AWAY

Try to trade away aging receivers and runners for young guys and high picks (2nd round is the latest that a pick is useful) --- my best example of his is that last season I took over a team and turned SJax and Welker and Kevin Smith into Nicks, MWallace, BTate, and Santonio (preJets trade dangit). Now this team has zero RB power, without even a starter on roster, but I added Dez through the draft and it has the most promising young receiving corps in the league. I also managed to get Freeman and Orton for QB, Orton as a cheap stop gap that turned out unbelievably well, and Freeman for the future.

Trade away later picks to move up (e.g. 4/5/6 for a 2) --- early picks can then be used to move up more, like into the 1st round, or traded away for guys who are basically just like those you'll be picking, but with one year of NFL experience already

2. DRAFTING WELL

My strategy is to draft receivers and QBs, with TEs later that have promise (like Finley 2 years ago, Hernandez this year, Gresham this year) because they have long term stability. When your QB and receivers come together, you should have one more year of a poor record and a top 2 or 3 draft pick. Then you can use this pick on a top RB to fill the hole in your squad. Only that first rounder is important to draft with, IMO, when you feel like the #1RB type is the last piece missing. I try to trade the rest of the picks, unless I have a prospect I like, to get some RB depth guys. Examples from this year would have been Foster, Bradshaw, McFadden, Hillis, LT, Thomas Jones, Hightower, MBIII, Lynch)

FA pickups are also important, but less predictable. The only thing true is that there are ALWAYS 2-4 guys off the wire. Year in, year out. They make a difference.

At the risk of opening this can of worms again, it is worth looking at the production in SD without VJax. As you guys know, I've probably been higher on Floyd than most - and while he was relatively quiet in weeks 1 & 3, he was near 100 yards in week 2 and 3 and obviously had an explosion this past week.

It remains to be seen what VJax does after SD, but it may be worth considering that SD is becoming one of those offenses that is almost plug-and-play... and much of the value is tied to being in that offense.

Of course, after pimping Floyd so much, I'm the ####### who traded him away last week in my primary league :banned:

I think it may be time to look at bumping Rivers too. If he can do this without VJax or a great run game then what does that say?

corpcow said:
At the risk of opening this can of worms again, it is worth looking at the production in SD without VJax. As you guys know, I've probably been higher on Floyd than most - and while he was relatively quiet in weeks 1 & 3, he was near 100 yards in week 2 and 3 and obviously had an explosion this past week.It remains to be seen what VJax does after SD, but it may be worth considering that SD is becoming one of those offenses that is almost plug-and-play... and much of the value is tied to being in that offense. Of course, after pimping Floyd so much, I'm the ####### who traded him away last week in my primary league :lmao:
Rivers is just on fire this year. It's hard to compare last year to this year. Rivers is throwing more (more than 3 more attempts per game) and being even more efficient (more than a yard more per attempt, which is insane). This has nothing to do with VJax, and everything to do with Rivers.If VJax was still there, he would be killing it just as hard, and actually be earning himself a top 3 WR paycheck. If Floyd got hurt, would you bump up Naanee, Buster, or Crayton? I wouldn't much at all. Obviously they have a different skillset than Floyd and VJax; that might be part of it. There's few 6'5" WRs who can stretch the field, SD just happened to have two of them.

corpcow said:
At the risk of opening this can of worms again, it is worth looking at the production in SD without VJax. As you guys know, I've probably been higher on Floyd than most - and while he was relatively quiet in weeks 1 & 3, he was near 100 yards in week 2 and 3 and obviously had an explosion this past week.It remains to be seen what VJax does after SD, but it may be worth considering that SD is becoming one of those offenses that is almost plug-and-play... and much of the value is tied to being in that offense. Of course, after pimping Floyd so much, I'm the ####### who traded him away last week in my primary league :lmao:
Rivers is just on fire this year. It's hard to compare last year to this year. Rivers is throwing more (more than 3 more attempts per game) and being even more efficient (more than a yard more per attempt, which is insane). This has nothing to do with VJax, and everything to do with Rivers.If VJax was still there, he would be killing it just as hard, and actually be earning himself a top 3 WR paycheck. If Floyd got hurt, would you bump up Naanee, Buster, or Crayton? I wouldn't much at all. Obviously they have a different skillset than Floyd and VJax; that might be part of it. There's few 6'5" WRs who can stretch the field, SD just happened to have two of them.
Maybe Rivers is "more efficient" and "on fire" because he is spreading the ball around more and not trying to force it to one guy--namely, VJax.

Maybe Rivers is "more efficient" and "on fire" because he is spreading the ball around more and not trying to force it to one guy--namely, VJax.
Except VJax was never a target hog. Had 100 targets last year and 99 the year before.Floyd is on pace for 125 this year.Gates is on pace for 128 this year (had 109 last year).

whoa F&L. Love the new website. I hadn't checked on your ranking in a while and was pleasantly surprised :thumbsup:
Can someone PM me the link? I noticed the links were removed from F&L's sig and not sure if there is a reason for that but I'd like to see his new site.TIA

corpcow said:
At the risk of opening this can of worms again, it is worth looking at the production in SD without VJax. As you guys know, I've probably been higher on Floyd than most - and while he was relatively quiet in weeks 1 & 3, he was near 100 yards in week 2 and 3 and obviously had an explosion this past week.It remains to be seen what VJax does after SD, but it may be worth considering that SD is becoming one of those offenses that is almost plug-and-play... and much of the value is tied to being in that offense. Of course, after pimping Floyd so much, I'm the ####### who traded him away last week in my primary league :shrug:
I've always ripped teams for underpaying their super stud players. It's really bad business some times. But in this case, now that SD is doing fine without Jackson, I am a little bit pleased. On one hand, I think Jackson deserved a lot more money. On the other hand, SD's position was that the team would survive without Jackson - and they were right.

.02 is that Hightower is a very undervalued NFL RB. Sure, he may not pass the eye test, but he does all the small things well. Yes, I hear you with the fumbling problem. Fumbling is the worst thing one can do as a NFL RB. However, even with the fumbling issue, why have the coaches continued to keep him in the game? Either Wells isnt all everyone thinks/wants him to be or Hightower is more than what people think/want him to be.I think Hightower picks up blitzes, runs hard, and catches well. I think he instills confidence in the Ari coaching staff. Why Wells cant do that we dont know.

whoa F&L. Love the new website. I hadn't checked on your ranking in a while and was pleasantly surprised :thumbsup:
Can someone PM me the link? I noticed the links were removed from F&L's sig and not sure if there is a reason for that but I'd like to see his new site.TIA
Is it this one?http://dynastyrankings.blogspot.com/

It's on the thread's first post - if that's the one you were referring to.
Rankings on that page are dated June 2010, and the link to roto rankings on that page are end of preseason. The post I responded to above mentioned a 'new website', so I assumed there is a new site. :confused:

Anyone feel comforable putting Miles Austin over Calvin Johnson? I love that Austin is a threat if the Cowboys decide to dink and dunk, and he is a threat if the Cowboys bomb it down the field. Johnson seems to rely on the Redzone more than Austin, when it comes to putting up points. Austin can take a 5 yard in and break it, while Johnson relies on the ball traveling in the air to score. Thoughts?

I don't own either in my dynasty leagues. I would be targeting Austin, however, because of this. I would think his owners would be more likely to part with him than Calvin's owners. There seems to be the idea that Calvin is putting up Moss/Rice/Owens numbers as soon as his situation is closer to ideal.

At this point, im worried about his durability. Talent I think he is great, but its not just about talent.

Anyone feel comforable putting Miles Austin over Calvin Johnson? I love that Austin is a threat if the Cowboys decide to dink and dunk, and he is a threat if the Cowboys bomb it down the field. Johnson seems to rely on the Redzone more than Austin, when it comes to putting up points. Austin can take a 5 yard in and break it, while Johnson relies on the ball traveling in the air to score. Thoughts?I don't own either in my dynasty leagues. I would be targeting Austin, however, because of this. I would think his owners would be more likely to part with him than Calvin's owners. There seems to be the idea that Calvin is putting up Moss/Rice/Owens numbers as soon as his situation is closer to ideal.
After watching the Cowboys, Austin is clearly Romo's favorite target. Austin runs good if not great routes and has good if not great hands. He is a clear #1 right now. I would say buy buy buy

Is it this one?http://dynastyrankings.blogspot.com/

It's on the thread's first post - if that's the one you were referring to.
Rankings on that page are dated June 2010, and the link to roto rankings on that page are end of preseason. The post I responded to above mentioned a 'new website', so I assumed there is a new site. :mellow:
Ah yes. He did post a link to his Rotoworld rankings:http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=36145

Interested in Fear and Loathing's thoughts on Tampa's Mike Williams. He has Mike Williams at #31 with Chad Ochocinco at #27. Having watched Williams over the past few weeks, I wouldn't trade him for Ochocinco in a millions years. Williams seems to be underrated at this point.

Anyone feel comforable putting Miles Austin over Calvin Johnson? I love that Austin is a threat if the Cowboys decide to dink and dunk, and he is a threat if the Cowboys bomb it down the field. Johnson seems to rely on the Redzone more than Austin, when it comes to putting up points. Austin can take a 5 yard in and break it, while Johnson relies on the ball traveling in the air to score. Thoughts?I don't own either in my dynasty leagues. I would be targeting Austin, however, because of this. I would think his owners would be more likely to part with him than Calvin's owners. There seems to be the idea that Calvin is putting up Moss/Rice/Owens numbers as soon as his situation is closer to ideal.
I agree Austin is more valuable now and in the near future. But I don't think we know what Calvin Johnson is yet. His RZ targets are bailing out owners this year, but his upside includes elite yardage as well. We might not know til next year (when Stafford comes back this year, how close to 100% will he be, especially on deep balls).They have used him some on dink and dunk with Shaun Hill. YAC has a lot to do with the QB (hitting the WR in stride) and his YAC is way down. Calvin's YPC and YAC (as well as YPG) are all lower this year than it was last year. And last year was pretty disappointing. He is bailing out owners cause he's such a great RZ threat and is actually getting targets there now.Considering I've bought Calvin twice in the past 2 months, I don't know if "owners will be more likely to part" with Austin than him. I know owners (myself included) are more willing to overpay for Calvin because they see Moss-like transcendence even if it might not actually be there. I haven't seen anyone overpay for Austin like I have for Calvin and Fitz.

Users who are viewing this thread