What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (7 Viewers)

wdcrob said:
Concept Coop said:
Instead, the awful Derek Anderson was the opening day starter.
Rookie UDFAs don't start Week 1, period. It doesn't happen. So the fact that Anderson was the starter is 100% irrelevant. Hall could have been a clone of Montana and he'd have ridden the bench at the start of the season.
Undrafted rookies don't start this early in the season, period. Hall is the first in the history of the NFL. And just to point out why, Hall is not nearly as good (un-bad?) as Anderson.

Sabertooth said:
Hall beat the Saints, no? Pretty ####### good chance he keeps playing if he keeps winning. They had a chance at McNabb this season and didn't get him.
:jawdrop: Hall wasn't on the roster when they passed on Mcnabb. If fact, after passing on McNabb, they neglected to draft Hall...

Carson Palmer: 400+ yards; 3 TDSMax Hall: Sucks, benched...for Derek Anderson...
he was just a lottery ticket . . .
A lottery ticket that was never going to pan out. Palmer is a high end QB2/ Low end QB1. Much more than a lottery ticket.Honestly, Hall isn't worth a roster spot. If you are stashing lottery tickets on your roster, roster WRs and RBs: Gettis, Alexander, Parmele, Ivory...

Last edited by a moderator:
EBF, what are your thoughts about Mcfadden now? :thumbdown:

Seriously though, whats not to like about him? If there is anything, i am not seeing it.

Not that I like to be the guy who mentions things right after a big game, but I think we're at the point where Roddy White is a tier one receiver.

A lot of people seem to have kept him behind AJ/CJ/Fitz, but I've had him at #1 since Ryan showed some rapport with him in his rookie year, and acquired him everywhere I could. I think the receiver ranks have to looks something like this:

Tier 1:

Roddy White/Andre Johnson

Fitz/Calvin

Above tier 2 but not tier 1: Miles Austin

Tier 2:

And so on and so forth. I think White has officially shown the consistency and big play ability of a top 3 receiver, and today he added the extra "monster game" capacity that he seemed to be missing when compared to the Johnsons or Fitzgerald.

Not that I like to be the guy who mentions things right after a big game, but I think we're at the point where Roddy White is a tier one receiver.A lot of people seem to have kept him behind AJ/CJ/Fitz, but I've had him at #1 since Ryan showed some rapport with him in his rookie year, and acquired him everywhere I could. I think the receiver ranks have to looks something like this:Tier 1:Roddy White/Andre JohnsonFitz/CalvinAbove tier 2 but not tier 1: Miles AustinTier 2:And so on and so forth. I think White has officially shown the consistency and big play ability of a top 3 receiver, and today he added the extra "monster game" capacity that he seemed to be missing when compared to the Johnsons or Fitzgerald.
I have White #4 in my dynasty rankings behind AJ, Austin and CJ. I cant see putting him higher than any of those guys, although i can see an argument for it.

What's the Garrett Blount long term outlook ?Could he be the Bucs RB of the future or just some temporary replacement ?
Your missing the "La" in his first name, but there is probably a reason people dont know his name. He is a looooong shot at ever being fantasy relevant.

I recall people here being down on Knowshon Moreno prior to this year - mainly arguing that he is not as gifted as other premier RBs. When I watch him play, he looks good to me. Is it because he looks to be running hard? http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091909/2...ahawks@broncos/ http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091909/2...ahawks@broncos/

This week he scored what amounts to garbage points after Denver fell way behind to the Raiders. Has anybody who had earlier thoughts that Moreno was not for real in dynasty changed their opinion on him? Is he in the top ten for dynasty RBs? If not, where is he currently ranking on your list? Who would be in front of him?

I recall people here being down on Knowshon Moreno prior to this year - mainly arguing that he is not as gifted as other premier RBs. When I watch him play, he looks good to me. Is it because he looks to be running hard? http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091909/2...ahawks@broncos/ http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091909/2...ahawks@broncos/

This week he scored what amounts to garbage points after Denver fell way behind to the Raiders. Has anybody who had earlier thoughts that Moreno was not for real in dynasty changed their opinion on him? Is he in the top ten for dynasty RBs? If not, where is he currently ranking on your list? Who would be in front of him?
I have him in the low/mid 20's in my dynasty rankings(see sig). I just dont think he is a very good runner....at least from what i have seen to this point.

EBF, what are your thoughts about Mcfadden now? :missing:

Seriously though, whats not to like about him? If there is anything, i am not seeing it.
SLS. (Skinny Leg Syndrome)
So who's right?

The DMC haters were correct for 2 years, now his backers are having their day. Should be interesting to see how this plays out the next 4-5 years.
No they werent, unless they were hating in redrafts. I think its pretty clear at this point Mcfadden can be a top 10 dynasty RB if he can stay healthy.

I'm curious about a big-picture question...

Does anyone else who's serious about dynasty not think in terms of 'rankings' at all?

For me there are players I like and players I don't. And players who are valued at or above their real value, and players who are undervalued in the market. So rather than keep an up to date set of rankings I ignore players I don't like, and only acquire those I do like if I think are undervalued.

I miss out on some guys - but I find that narrowing my focus and being pretty disciplined in pursuing only the players I think might have long term value that are currently undervalued makes it much simpler to make decisions about trades and the bottom of my roster. It also means I'm typically not holding many players with the idea that I'll trade them (and I very rarely grab a guy on the hope that I can flip him) and that there are a fairly limited number acquisition targets at any one time, but I'm OK with not trading very much.

It also means that I tend to end up with a LOT of the same guys on my rosters - since I'm willing to 'overpay' on the guys I think are undervalued I often sweep them up across many leagues. But that's only a problem when I'm wrong about a guy that I actually had to pay something significant for. (So far, so good!)

Does anyone focus this narrowly on the player pool or have an approach that sounds similar?

Is David Gettis anything real or just fools gold?

HT: 6-3, WT: 217, Born: 8-27-1987, College: Baylor, Drafted: Round 6

8 rec. 125 yds. 1td v. the 49ers on 9 targets

EBF, what are your thoughts about Mcfadden now? :missing:

So who's right?

The DMC haters were correct for 2 years, now his backers are having their day. Should be interesting to see how this plays out the next 4-5 years.
No they werent, unless they were hating in redrafts. I think its pretty clear at this point Mcfadden can be a top 10 dynasty RB if he can stay healthy.
So your overriding 2 years of suckitude because of 5 great games? And to say "if he can stay healthy?" is quite the leap of faith.

Does anyone else who's serious about dynasty not think in terms of 'rankings' at all?

For me there are players I like and players I don't. And players who are valued at or above their real value, and players who are undervalued in the market. So rather than keep an up to date set of rankings I ignore players I don't like, and only acquire those I do like if I think are undervalued.

I miss out on some guys - but I find that narrowing my focus and being pretty disciplined in pursuing only the players I think might have long term value that are currently undervalued makes it much simpler to make decisions about trades and the bottom of my roster. It also means I'm typically not holding many players with the idea that I'll trade them (and I very rarely grab a guy on the hope that I can flip him) and that there are a fairly limited number acquisition targets at any one time, but I'm OK with not trading very much.

It also means that I tend to end up with a LOT of the same guys on my rosters - since I'm willing to 'overpay' on the guys I think are undervalued I often sweep them up across many leagues. But that's only a problem when I'm wrong about a guy that I actually had to pay something significant for. (So far, so good!)

Does anyone focus this narrowly on the player pool or have an approach that sounds similar?
:missing:

How do you know who these guys are if you dont have a set of rankings to refer to? I think everyone does what you are saying. When i do my rankings, i know that most the guys i am ranking will likely never see my roster. Unlike you i trade alot. I rarely will sit on my team no matter how good it might be. As far as im concerned there is always a trade i can make that would improve my team. Keeping my own rankings helps me in finding them. Thats were the rankings in my sig came from. I started it years ago to help me keep updated with a players real and perceived value.

EBF, what are your thoughts about Mcfadden now? ;)

So who's right?

So your overriding 2 years of suckitude because of 5 great games? And to say "if he can stay healthy?" is quite the leap of faith.
i dont think he sucked in his first two years, i just think he was hurt. Now that he is healthy he is looking like the player i thought he could be, and then some.

I'm not too interested in rehashing the McFadden debates of years past, but it's telling that three seasons into his career a single 150+ yard rushing game is such a big deal that it causes people to bump ancient threads and pull out the "See, he doesn't suck!" card. As much as I've enjoyed poking fun at DMC in the past, I often went out of my way to acknowledge that he had explosive speed and would almost certainly yield occasional highlight reel moments. I still rate him clearly behind Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Stewart, Chris Johnson, Felix Jones, Ray Rice, and Jamaal Charles as an NFL player and FF asset. We don't bump threads when those guys have good games because we know they're good players and we expect them to excel. However, every time DMC does anything remotely promising the fanboys come out of the woodwork to have themselves a good pat on the back. I think it's telling that his successes have been so few and far between that a good game is still newsworthy.

The fact that some people are bringing the whole BMI thing into the equation is pretty amusing considering that DMC has struggled to stay healthy throughout his NFL career and just recently missed the past two weeks with an injury. Where were the sarcastic BMI remarks when he was sitting on the shelf nursing his chicken legs?

If you go back and read my posts from around the 2008 draft, my argument wasn't that DMC was complete crap who had no place in the NFL. It was merely that he was an overrated prospect who probably wouldn't become the consistent superstar that his most ardent supporters envisioned. I feel good about that prediction and I think it's funny that people still attack me about DMC when my original opinion was pretty sound. I guess the people who have suffered through seasons of DMC-induced frustration need to savor the rare feeling of success. Be my guest. If landing the 6th or 7th best RB from a draft class with the 1.01 rookie pick is cause for celebration, by all means break out the ;) .

I'm not too interested in rehashing the McFadden debates of years past, but it's telling that three seasons into his career a single 150+ yard rushing game is such a big deal that it causes people to bump ancient threads and pull out the "See, he doesn't suck!" card. As much as I've enjoyed poking fun at DMC in the past, I often went out of my way to acknowledge that he had explosive speed and would almost certainly yield occasional highlight reel moments. I still rate him clearly behind Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Stewart, Chris Johnson, Felix Jones, Ray Rice, and Jamaal Charles as an NFL player and FF asset. We don't bump threads when those guys have good games because we know they're good players and we expect them to excel. However, every time DMC does anything remotely promising the fanboys come out of the woodwork to have themselves a good pat on the back. I think it's telling that his successes have been so few and far between that a good game is still newsworthy. The fact that some people are bringing the whole BMI thing into the equation is pretty amusing considering that DMC has struggled to stay healthy throughout his NFL career and just recently missed the past two weeks with an injury. Where were the sarcastic BMI remarks when he was sitting on the shelf nursing his chicken legs? If you go back and read my posts from around the 2008 draft, my argument wasn't that DMC was complete crap who had no place in the NFL. It was merely that he was an overrated prospect who probably wouldn't become the consistent superstar that his most ardent supporters envisioned. I feel good about that prediction and I think it's funny that people still attack me about DMC when my original opinion was pretty sound. I guess the people who have suffered through seasons of DMC-induced frustration need to savor the rare feeling of success. Be my guest. If landing the 6th or 7th best RB from a draft class with the 1.01 rookie pick is cause for celebration, by all means break out the :shrug: .
I think this is a reasonable post, but I also think it must be noted that it's not really just about his game today. He has now had over 100 total yards in all 5 games he has played this season, and he has scored in 3 of those 5 games. He is averaging 150 combined yards and more than 1 TD per game. It's only 5 games, but, then again, he has looked *really* good doing it. He just turned 23 in August, so it seems possible that he matured both physically and mentally during those first two seasons, and he is now simply playing up to his potential.Of the players you mentioned, I definitely wouldn't trade him for Felix Jones, and I'm not sure about Charles or Stewart.

I'm not too interested in rehashing the McFadden debates of years past, but it's telling that three seasons into his career a single 150+ yard rushing game is such a big deal that it causes people to bump ancient threads and pull out the "See, he doesn't suck!" card. As much as I've enjoyed poking fun at DMC in the past, I often went out of my way to acknowledge that he had explosive speed and would almost certainly yield occasional highlight reel moments. I still rate him clearly behind Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Stewart, Chris Johnson, Felix Jones, Ray Rice, and Jamaal Charles as an NFL player and FF asset. We don't bump threads when those guys have good games because we know they're good players and we expect them to excel. However, every time DMC does anything remotely promising the fanboys come out of the woodwork to have themselves a good pat on the back. I think it's telling that his successes have been so few and far between that a good game is still newsworthy.

The fact that some people are bringing the whole BMI thing into the equation is pretty amusing considering that DMC has struggled to stay healthy throughout his NFL career and just recently missed the past two weeks with an injury. Where were the sarcastic BMI remarks when he was sitting on the shelf nursing his chicken legs?

If you go back and read my posts from around the 2008 draft, my argument wasn't that DMC was complete crap who had no place in the NFL. It was merely that he was an overrated prospect who probably wouldn't become the consistent superstar that his most ardent supporters envisioned. I feel good about that prediction and I think it's funny that people still attack me about DMC when my original opinion was pretty sound. I guess the people who have suffered through seasons of DMC-induced frustration need to savor the rare feeling of success. Be my guest. If landing the 6th or 7th best RB from a draft class with the 1.01 rookie pick is cause for celebration, by all means break out the :shrug: .
Of course you didnt say this, but you made it clear that he wouldnt be a valuable fantasy commodity due to his BMI. You also said the same thing about Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson. I dont think it is the Mcfadden thing people are questioning as much as it was your BMI theory. I like how you try to downplay him by calling him the 6th or 7th best Rb from his class, since that class has pumped out 7 or 8 top 15 dynasty RBs at this point.

I would love to know what you dont like about him when watching him play this season?

I'm not too interested in rehashing the McFadden debates of years past, but it's telling that three seasons into his career a single 150+ yard rushing game is such a big deal that it causes people to bump ancient threads and pull out the "See, he doesn't suck!" card. As much as I've enjoyed poking fun at DMC in the past, I often went out of my way to acknowledge that he had explosive speed and would almost certainly yield occasional highlight reel moments. I still rate him clearly behind Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Stewart, Chris Johnson, Felix Jones, Ray Rice, and Jamaal Charles as an NFL player and FF asset. We don't bump threads when those guys have good games because we know they're good players and we expect them to excel. However, every time DMC does anything remotely promising the fanboys come out of the woodwork to have themselves a good pat on the back. I think it's telling that his successes have been so few and far between that a good game is still newsworthy. The fact that some people are bringing the whole BMI thing into the equation is pretty amusing considering that DMC has struggled to stay healthy throughout his NFL career and just recently missed the past two weeks with an injury. Where were the sarcastic BMI remarks when he was sitting on the shelf nursing his chicken legs? If you go back and read my posts from around the 2008 draft, my argument wasn't that DMC was complete crap who had no place in the NFL. It was merely that he was an overrated prospect who probably wouldn't become the consistent superstar that his most ardent supporters envisioned. I feel good about that prediction and I think it's funny that people still attack me about DMC when my original opinion was pretty sound. I guess the people who have suffered through seasons of DMC-induced frustration need to savor the rare feeling of success. Be my guest. If landing the 6th or 7th best RB from a draft class with the 1.01 rookie pick is cause for celebration, by all means break out the :shrug: .
I really don't care about all of your historic "hate" on DMC. But, you can believe that if Jamaal Charles or Felix Jones had a nearly 200 total yard 4 TD game, there would be 5 new threads and old threads bumped. So, don't think for a second that DMC is special in that regard.I don't think a 150 yard game is what we should be celebrating. Maybe it's the 5 starts this season with no fewer than 122 total yards in each game. That's a little more than the "occasional highlight reel moments", especially considering the average talent he's surrounded by. Don't ya think?

He is averaging 150 combined yards and more than 1 TD per game. It's only 5 games, but, then again, he has looked *really* good doing it.
That's where I disagree. I don't think he has matured physically or mentally. I think he looks like the same back he has always been. The one area where DMC has always been unquestionably elite is pure speed. The guy can fly. If you watch the highlights from today's game, you'll see that a lot of his big plays came on sweeps designed specifically to utilize his one elite trait. If the team can continue to give him huge creases, he'll continue to break long runs because he's very dangerous when he has a huge lane. I just don't think he'll be consistent because I don't think he's even above average in most of the other categories that matter for the RB position (elusiveness, power).I'm not surprised that you might take him over Charles or Stewart with today's game fresh in your memory. I'm sure you wouldn't have considered trading Charles for DMC after he rushed for 259 yards against this same craptastic Broncos team in week 17 of last season. I'm sure you wouldn't have considered trading Stewart for DMC after he rushed for 208 yards against the Giants in week 16 of last season.One of things that has become abundantly clear is that people's long-term player valuations are hugely dependent on short-term results. Last week we had people ranking Danario Alexander over Demaryius Thomas. This week it's Darren McFadden and Kenny Britt to the top of the charts. Next week maybe CJ Spiller will finally bust loose and everyone will be vaulting him up in their rankings. The process is really predictable and I don't put much stock in what people say when it's clearly been skewed by short-term trends that don't necessarily tell us anything about the future.

He is averaging 150 combined yards and more than 1 TD per game. It's only 5 games, but, then again, he has looked *really* good doing it.
That's where I disagree. I don't think he has matured physically or mentally. I think he looks like the same back he has always been. The one area where DMC has always been unquestionably elite is pure speed. The guy can fly. If you watch the highlights from today's game, you'll see that a lot of his big plays came on sweeps designed specifically to utilize his one elite trait. If the team can continue to give him huge creases, he'll continue to break long runs because he's very dangerous when he has a huge lane. I just don't think he'll be consistent because I don't think he's even above average in most of the other categories that matter for the RB position (elusiveness, power).I'm not surprised that you might take him over Charles or Stewart with today's game fresh in your memory. I'm sure you wouldn't have considered trading Charles for DMC after he rushed for 259 yards against this same craptastic Broncos team in week 17 of last season. I'm sure you wouldn't have considered trading Stewart for DMC after he rushed for 208 yards against the Giants in week 16 of last season.One of things that has become abundantly clear is that people's long-term player valuations are hugely dependent on short-term results. Last week we had people ranking Danario Alexander over Demaryius Thomas. This week it's Darren McFadden and Kenny Britt to the top of the charts. Next week maybe CJ Spiller will finally bust loose and everyone will be vaulting him up in their rankings. The process is really predictable and I don't put much stock in what people say when it's clearly been skewed by short-term trends that don't necessarily tell us anything about the future.
Whether you feel DMC is an elite NFL starter talent wise is irrelevant in FF. Is DMC as talented as Jonathan Stewart? No, but neither is Matt Forte...and that bum is in the top 10 in PPR scoring for RBs.

Whether you feel DMC is an elite NFL starter talent wise is irrelevant in FF. Is DMC as talented as Jonathan Stewart? No, but neither is Matt Forte...and that bum is in the top 10 in PPR scoring for RBs.
No doubt about that. I don't at all regret being down on DMC when he was a draft prospect, but I DO regret being so dismissive of him in redraft leagues or as a dynasty flyer after his value had already plummeted. Even though I don't think he's a very good back, I do think he's the best back on Oakland's roster right now and any RB who's starting for his team has a chance to be productive by virtue of opportunity alone.

That's where I disagree. I don't think he has matured physically or mentally. I think he looks like the same back he has always been. The one area where DMC has always been unquestionably elite is pure speed. The guy can fly. If you watch the highlights from today's game, you'll see that a lot of his big plays came on sweeps designed specifically to utilize his one elite trait. If the team can continue to give him huge creases, he'll continue to break long runs because he's very dangerous when he has a huge lane.
Thats funny, he didnt have any huge lanes, he created most of everything he got today. Only the biggest hater can find a way to hate a guy who is the #1 or #2 fantasy back(depending on league) despite missing two games and playing in a bad situation. Guys who are ONLY fast dont do the things Mcfadden has been doing. If i were you, i would stick the the injury prone thing, its all you really have.Just for laughs, were would have Mcfadden ranked amongst RB's?

That's where I disagree. I don't think he has matured physically or mentally. I think he looks like the same back he has always been. The one area where DMC has always been unquestionably elite is pure speed. The guy can fly. If you watch the highlights from today's game, you'll see that a lot of his big plays came on sweeps designed specifically to utilize his one elite trait. If the team can continue to give him huge creases, he'll continue to break long runs because he's very dangerous when he has a huge lane.
Thats funny, he didnt have any huge lanes, he created most of everything he got today. Only the biggest hater can find a way to hate a guy who is the #1 or #2 fantasy back(depending on league) despite missing two games and playing in a bad situation. Guys who are ONLY fast dont do the things Mcfadden has been doing. If i were you, i would stick the the injury prone thing, its all you really have.Just for laughs, were would have Mcfadden ranked amongst RB's?
Two of his first three TDs had ridiculous blocking. His first TD there wasn't anyone within 5 yards and that was only a few yards out in the red zone. His reception TD no one came close for 15 yards until the final 5 yards where his momentum and 1 on 1 tackling carried him the rest of the way. You could go through most of his big plays. Even on his last TD, which was a great play, he got a huge opening at the line and simply zipped past everyone after. Heck, the oline blocking was half in the redzone on the short yardage push, but he took what the oline gave him.He had plenty large openings. That's all he needed.Granted I was one of his 'believers', in the sense that I thought he could still become a good RB. He can still become that. But he had more than enough help from a pathetic Denver D and some great blocking by their oline.

Thats funny, he didnt have any huge lanes, he created most of everything he got today. Only the biggest hater can find a way to hate a guy who is the #1 or #2 fantasy back(depending on league) despite missing two games and playing in a bad situation.

Guys who are ONLY fast dont do the things Mcfadden has been doing. If i were you, i would stick the the injury prone thing, its all you really have.

Just for laughs, were would have Mcfadden ranked amongst RB's?
His first three TDs had ridiculous blocking. His first TD there wasn't anyone within 5 yards and that only a few yards out in the red zone. His reception TD no one came close for 15 yards until the final 5 yards where his momentum and 1 on 1 tackling carried him the rest of the way.

You could go through most of his big plays. Even on his last TD, which was a great play, he got a huge opening at the line and simply zipped pased everyone after.

He had plenty large openings. That's all he needed.

Granted I was one of his 'believers', in the sense that I thought he could still become a good RB. He can still become that. But he had more than enough help from a pathetic Denver D and some great blocking by their oline.
Fixed

Two of his first three TDs had ridiculous blocking. His first TD there wasn't anyone within 5 yards and that was only a few yards out in the red zone. His reception TD no one came close for 15 yards until the final 5 yards where his momentum and 1 on 1 tackling carried him the rest of the way. You could go through most of his big plays. Even on his last TD, which was a great play, he got a huge opening at the line and simply zipped past everyone after. Heck, the oline blocking was half in the redzone on the short yardage push, but he took what the oline gave him.He had plenty large openings. That's all he needed.Granted I was one of his 'believers', in the sense that I thought he could still become a good RB. He can still become that. But he had more than enough help from a pathetic Denver D and some great blocking by their oline.
There is no way to doubt that McFadden is playing well. What is in question is can he grind out yards when the blocking isn't there? I haven't seen that yet. And I haven't seen him carry the rock a whole season and stay healthy. He is very good in space and today he got in space a lot. But whether he can be a consistent player is yet to be seen.

Just moved Harvin plus a mid-grade 2011 first rounder for Brandon Lloyd. My team is primed for a title run, his is rebuilding. I had 3 firsts next season and think this move shores up my receiving corps (start 3WR) of Roddy, Desean, VJax, Santonio, and Mike Thomas and Steve Smith south. I like Lloyd for the remainder of this season, and possibly into next before Demaryus gets the pro game figured out.
:thumbup: Wow! This is possibly the most shocking trade I've ever seen in this thread. You'd have to add more than one first-round pick to Brandon Lloyd to get me to consider giving up Harvin. Lloyd is the quintessential flavor of the month. I'll bet you a six pack of Fat Tire ale that Harvin outscores Lloyd the rest of this year, never mind future value.
F&L beasting this thread as always.

Thats funny, he didnt have any huge lanes, he created most of everything he got today. Only the biggest hater can find a way to hate a guy who is the #1 or #2 fantasy back(depending on league) despite missing two games and playing in a bad situation.

Guys who are ONLY fast dont do the things Mcfadden has been doing. If i were you, i would stick the the injury prone thing, its all you really have.

Two of his first three TDs had ridiculous blocking. His first TD there wasn't anyone within 5 yards and that was only a few yards out in the red zone. His reception TD no one came close for 15 yards until the final 5 yards where his momentum and 1 on 1 tackling carried him the rest of the way.

You could go through most of his big plays. Even on his last TD, which was a great play, he got a huge opening at the line and simply zipped past everyone after. Heck, the oline blocking was half in the redzone on the short yardage push, but he took what the oline gave him.

He had plenty large openings. That's all he needed.

Granted I was one of his 'believers', in the sense that I thought he could still become a good RB. He can still become that. But he had more than enough help from a pathetic Denver D and some great blocking by their oline.
There is no way to doubt that McFadden is playing well. What is in question is can he grind out yards when the blocking isn't there? I haven't seen that yet. And I haven't seen him carry the rock a whole season and stay healthy. He is very good in space and today he got in space a lot. But whether he can be a consistent player is yet to be seen.
Ok, I seriously have to ask the McFadden "he's not that good"ers-- have you watched more than his highlight reels this year? He's doing EXACTLY what you are saying you need to see him do before you consider him improved. He DOES run with power, he DOES show vision for cutbacks. Are you seriously going to discount his 15 yard TD reception with "momentum" and "1 on 1 tackling"? What the hell does that even mean? Every time Earl Campbell knocked a punk down, that was "momentum" as well. Practically any time a tackle is broken, it is due to "momentum." What the hell are you guys needing to see, exactly? It seems that the only way you'll be satisfied is if McFadden takes a run up the gut, plows through Ngata, Jenkins, and Haynesworth before stiff-arming Urlacher, sidestepping Willis, and sprinting past Polamalu for the score. I bet you'd come back with "why did he kiss Erin Andrews afterwards on the sideline?" Good lord. Hater's gon' hate.

Hoot&HoLLer said:

I think the problem with Moreno is he suffers from Curtis Martin syndrome. While by no means am I saying that Moreno is as good as the NFLs 4th all time rusher, but what I am saying is that neither back was flashy, and never made you say "wow" while watching them run - however they are both savvy, hard runners that take what the defense gives them and both do all teh little thinsg well.

EBF said:
Just Win Baby said:
That's where I disagree. I don't think he has matured physically or mentally. I think he looks like the same back he has always been. The one area where DMC has always been unquestionably elite is pure speed. The guy can fly. If you watch the highlights from today's game, you'll see that a lot of his big plays came on sweeps designed specifically to utilize his one elite trait. If the team can continue to give him huge creases, he'll continue to break long runs because he's very dangerous when he has a huge lane. I just don't think he'll be consistent because I don't think he's even above average in most of the other categories that matter for the RB position (elusiveness, power).
I wasn't super high on McFadden either (ranked him third in the class behind Stewart and Rice), but I actually think he's shown surprising power so far this season. I've seen a few runs where he either was hit, bounced off and kept going or even more impressively driven a defender backa few yards while he plowed ahead. Even yesterday on one of teh swing passes into space you talk about he finished off the run by dring into the endzone with a DB holding onto him.

I have White #4 in my dynasty rankings behind AJ, Austin and CJ. I cant see putting him higher than any of those guys, although i can see an argument for it.
:goodposting: You were the first to have him that high, based on what I have seen/read. Props.I tried to trade Fitz for him BEFORE his monster game and was shot down. Roddy is on a roll, and I don't see that roll coming to an end anytime soon.

Just Win Baby said:
EBF said:
I think this is a reasonable post, but I also think it must be noted that it's not really just about his game today. He has now had over 100 total yards in all 5 games he has played this season, and he has scored in 3 of those 5 games. He is averaging 150 combined yards and more than 1 TD per game. It's only 5 games, but, then again, he has looked *really* good doing it. He just turned 23 in August, so it seems possible that he matured both physically and mentally during those first two seasons, and he is now simply playing up to his potential.Of the players you mentioned, I definitely wouldn't trade him for Felix Jones, and I'm not sure about Charles or Stewart.
:goodposting: EBF, Your argument was once a sound one...but may no longer be. On occassion, you're guilty of digging your heels in too hard and missing out. I think this may be one of those times. You were still right about McFadden two years ago, but things change. McFadden looks to have grown.

Go deep said:
EBF said:
Just Win Baby said:

You may have noticed that he avoided answering the question posed at the end about McFadden's ranking among RBs. Not surprising as that could make him look even more foolish if McFadden continues to perform well from this point forward. I don't know where he ranks McFadden outside of the fact that he would put him below Felix Jones - so I imagine we are talking mid teens at best, probably somewhere in the 20's at worst (although I question whether he would even qualify as a #2 RB in EBF's eyes). I can tell you right now that if you are waiting for EBF to admit that he might be wrong about McFadden, it ain't gonna happen this season, no matter how well he does. When McFadden was brought up in another thread a few weeks back, EBF said this about players he has developed a strong opinion on:

I try not to budge from that stance unless I have strong evidence that I'm wrong one way or the other. 3-4 games don't qualify as strong evidence. Hell, even a whole season might not qualify as strong evidence.
So, you can continue to bump old threads, but you will probably have to see McFadden outperform EBF's expectations over a period of years before he might change his mind on this player and even then I am not too sure that we will see it.

What's the Garrett Blount long term outlook ?Could he be the Bucs RB of the future or just some temporary replacement ?
Your missing the "La" in his first name, but there is probably a reason people dont know his name. He is a looooong shot at ever being fantasy relevant.
I think that's pretty misguided. He's going to get a shot this year, and he'll probably be the most established RB coming back next year. The fact that TB is winning games means Morris will be back next year, so he has a chance to be Morris' guy. TB will draft or acquire a RB somehow, but that's not a death knell for Blount either.There's still a significant chance of failure, but he's worth acquiring. The only reason why he hasn't made more of an impact this year is he's raw in pass protection.Heading into next year I'd rather have Blount than Torain.
Hoot&HoLLer said:
Is David Gettis anything real or just fools gold?HT: 6-3, WT: 217, Born: 8-27-1987, College: Baylor, Drafted: Round 68 rec. 125 yds. 1td v. the 49ers on 9 targets
Actually he had 2 TDs. It's no coincidence that his breakout came in Smith's first game back. He drew single coverage and was able to beat it. LaFell also had a solid game. A lot of people added Gettis when Smith went down and he was the de facto WR1, and news came out that he had a good rapport with Claussen. He might not get 100 yards again for the rest of the year, but I don't think he's fool's gold, and there is long term value there. Any size/speed prospect (track speed at 6'3"/6'4") that actually delivers is worth getting. The juke move on the first TD was pretty slick, and he has good burst. Might be a little bit of a body catcher. If someone who added him for free is looking to sell "high", I could see buying.

where does kenny britt rank as of now considersing his great physicak ability but also the idiot factor? top 20? top 15?
Somewhere in the 20 range. He has the idiot factor and also he plays on a team that is a run first team and doesn't have an elite QB. So that hurts him a bit too.

I think in dynasty, you have to consider Britt at least top 15, and he's quickly making a beeline to top 10.

From a talent perspective, which is what you have to consider in dynasty, are their really 20 player better than Britt? 15? 10?

The kid is a top ten talent without question.

If people can still have Jonathan Stewart as a top 5 dynasty RB, despite his complete lack of production (basically worthless this year), than there is a place for Britt in the top ten.

I think in dynasty, you have to consider Britt at least top 15, and he's quickly making a beeline to top 10.From a talent perspective, which is what you have to consider in dynasty, are their really 20 player better than Britt? 15? 10?The kid is a top ten talent without question.If people can still have Jonathan Stewart as a top 5 dynasty RB, despite his complete lack of production (basically worthless this year), than there is a place for Britt in the top ten.
Except Britt's talent isn't in the same category--not even close. He is good but he isn't an elite talent as far as I am concerned.

I think in dynasty, you have to consider Britt at least top 15, and he's quickly making a beeline to top 10.From a talent perspective, which is what you have to consider in dynasty, are their really 20 player better than Britt? 15? 10?The kid is a top ten talent without question.If people can still have Jonathan Stewart as a top 5 dynasty RB, despite his complete lack of production (basically worthless this year), than there is a place for Britt in the top ten.
In no particular order:1. Andre Johnson2. Roddy White3. Calvin Johnson4. Larry Fitzgerald5. Brandon Marshall6. Vincent Jackson7. Sidney Rice8. Santonio Holmes9. Dez Bryant10. Miles Austin11. Demaryius Thomas12. Hakeem Nicks13. Desean Jackson14. Dwayne Bowe (though I'm sure many would disagree)15. Marques ColstonGuys I say more talented, but perhaps discounted for age: Steve Smith CAR, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Hines WardGuys I think are more talented, but could see him being ranked over by someone else: Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace

Except Britt's talent isn't in the same category--not even close. He is good but he isn't an elite talent as far as I am concerned.
If he's not an elite talent than you have pretty high standards. His talent is on par with Sid Rice. Following the same trajectory Rice did last year, but in a tougher situation (bad pass offense), and at a seemingly faster rate. Not sure I follow this line of questioning though. If he's going to give you a TD per game and be the only reliable target on the team, why would you compare him to someone who only offers future gains like Stewart? He is at worst a WR3 going forward, and more likely a high WR2. I'd put him right around #15 with Rice, Harvin, Jennings, and those types, but I've always been high on him. It was an insane WR class.

In no particular order:1. Andre Johnson2. Roddy White3. Calvin Johnson4. Larry Fitzgerald5. Brandon Marshall6. Vincent Jackson7. Sidney Rice8. Santonio Holmes9. Dez Bryant10. Miles Austin11. Demaryius Thomas12. Hakeem Nicks13. Desean Jackson14. Dwayne Bowe (though I'm sure many would disagree)15. Marques ColstonGuys I say more talented, but perhaps discounted for age: Steve Smith CAR, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Hines WardGuys I think are more talented, but could see him being ranked over by someone else: Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace
If I am drafting a dyno team today and I took any of your 6-9 and 11 over Miles Austin, Hakeen Nicks or DJax, please put me down slowly.

I think in dynasty, you have to consider Britt at least top 15, and he's quickly making a beeline to top 10.

From a talent perspective, which is what you have to consider in dynasty, are their really 20 player better than Britt? 15? 10?

If people can still have Jonathan Stewart as a top 5 dynasty RB, despite his complete lack of production (basically worthless this year), than there is a place for Britt in the top ten.
In no particular order:1. Andre Johnson

2. Roddy White

3. Calvin Johnson

4. Larry Fitzgerald

5. Brandon Marshall

6. Vincent Jackson

7. Sidney Rice

8. Santonio Holmes

9. Dez Bryant

10. Miles Austin

11. Demaryius Thomas

12. Hakeem Nicks

13. Desean Jackson

14. Dwayne Bowe (though I'm sure many would disagree)

15. Marques Colston

Guys I say more talented, but perhaps discounted for age: Steve Smith CAR, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Hines Ward

Guys I think are more talented, but could see him being ranked over by someone else: Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace
If I am drafting a dyno team today and I took any of your 6-9 and 11 over Miles Austin, Hakeen Nicks or DJax, please put me down slowly.
"In no particular order:"

In no particular order:1. Andre Johnson

2. Roddy White

3. Calvin Johnson

4. Larry Fitzgerald

5. Brandon Marshall

6. Vincent Jackson

7. Sidney Rice

8. Santonio Holmes

9. Dez Bryant

10. Miles Austin

11. Demaryius Thomas

12. Hakeem Nicks

13. Desean Jackson

14. Dwayne Bowe (though I'm sure many would disagree)

15. Marques Colston

Guys I say more talented, but perhaps discounted for age: Steve Smith CAR, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Hines Ward

Guys I think are more talented, but could see him being ranked over by someone else: Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace
"In no particular order:"
missed that, not sure why they were listed with numbers then. carry on.

Britt is a promising player, but there are 15-20 other receivers who offer similar ability. Don't let the fact that he's coming off a monster game cause you to overrate him. He has been held below 42 receiving yards in 4 out of 6 games this season and has eclipsed 86 yards only once.

Pretty much any good NFL player can have one or two huge days. What separates the stars from the frauds is the ability to do it consistently. Britt hasn't reached that level yet, though he certainly has the potential. He has WR1 size and is clearly the most talented receiver on his team.

Users who are viewing this thread