What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (9 Viewers)

Rodgers, RG3, and Luck are in their own tier. Then Brady and Brees.Then Stafford, Ryan, and Cam.Probably Peyton, Romo, and Big Ben next but it gets cloudier in now vs. later. i.e. if I need a starter I want them, but if I have one of the top guys I want Kaepernick, Wilson, Tannehill, etc. instead.
I like the groupings here. Probably would throw Payton in with Brady and Brees and call it the win now group. Cam, Stafford, and Ryan would be the solid foundation group. Throw in Eli with Romo and Ben.
Only reason I didn't include Peyton is because I'm wary his window is only open for 2 more years whereas the others are looking at 3 to 5 to maybe even 7 or so in Brees' case. All bring similar expectations to the table in the interim, but how long will Manning last?

I play in 4 pt QB TDs, and Cam is my no.1 QB like Concept. Also like Concept, I used to have RG3 number one, but his injuries are scaring me.

Players should never be ranked as highly as you want to rank them in the middle of a hot streak, or as low as you want to rank them in the middle of a cold streak.

'SSOG said:
Players should never be ranked as highly as you want to rank them in the middle of a hot streak, or as low as you want to rank them in the middle of a cold streak.
I see your point, but don't know if it is applicable here. Newton's nearly 2 year sample size has been pretty consistant, save an outlier: a few bad games over the first half of the season.

This is really neither here nor there, may not really belong here, and was just a passing thought, but figured this was the best place to generate decent discussion on it and in a roundabout way it does pertain to dynasty values of players. Am I the only person who feels the standard scoring for quarterbacks has become archaic and outdated? As more and more "running" quarterbacks enter the league and the NFL begins what feels like a slow transition from "prototypical pocket quarterback" to the Vick, RGIII, Cam, Kaeprnick, Tebow, Rodgers, etc... mold- players who are equally as good/dangerous running as they are throwing- it feels like the balance between fantasy points awarded for passing stats and fantasy points awarded for rushing stats has gotten too out of whack.

I guess I am not even entirely sure where I am going with this, but it feels silly to me that a quarterback who rushes for 100 yards and throws for 100 yards produces points on par and/or better than a quarterback who throws for 300 yards and rushes for 0 yards in most leagues. In what universe is 200 yards better than 300? Why are rushing stats such a huge elevator for quarterbacks? It doesn't seem to follow reason for me. As an example, we don't reward receiving yardage anymore than rushing yardage for a running back or vice versa for a receiver, so why do we reward rushing yardage more than passing yardage for a quarterback?

This also has a LARGE impact on long term dynasty rankings of players, as the values of Cam, RGIII, Kaeprnick, Luck (to a lesser extent), etc... are greatly influenced by the fact that they accumulate a sustainable and consistent level of rushing statistics.

We have already seen an evolution of sorts in this area, as the days of awarding 4 points for passing touchdowns and 6 points for rushing touchdowns as the accepted norm and/or way all leagues run are a thing of the past. More and more, you see leagues awarding 6 points for all touchdowns and it continues to grow closer to the "standard" for leagues.

With that in mind, is it time to start scoring quarterbacks on a total yardage scale, rather than individual scoring for rushing and passing statistics? Rather than award 1 point per 25 passing yards(or whatever is your leagues standard) and 1 point per 10 rushing yards (or whatever is your standard), why not just award 1 point per 25 total yards (or whatever your leagues standard)? Additionally, what would that do to people's rankings and how much fluctuation and volatility would some of the quarterbacks who rely on rushing statistics to buoy their value/ranking see?

Also, if this is actually just totally useless drivel, and there is a 75% chance it is, then just disregard and carry on with the thread!

This is really neither here nor there, may not really belong here, and was just a passing thought, but figured this was the best place to generate decent discussion on it and in a roundabout way it does pertain to dynasty values of players. Am I the only person who feels the standard scoring for quarterbacks has become archaic and outdated? As more and more "running" quarterbacks enter the league and the NFL begins what feels like a slow transition from "prototypical pocket quarterback" to the Vick, RGIII, Cam, Kaeprnick, Tebow, Rodgers, etc... mold- players who are equally as good/dangerous running as they are throwing- it feels like the balance between fantasy points awarded for passing stats and fantasy points awarded for rushing stats has gotten too out of whack.I guess I am not even entirely sure where I am going with this, but it feels silly to me that a quarterback who rushes for 100 yards and throws for 100 yards produces points on par and/or better than a quarterback who throws for 300 yards and rushes for 0 yards in most leagues. In what universe is 200 yards better than 300? Why are rushing stats such a huge elevator for quarterbacks? It doesn't seem to follow reason for me. As an example, we don't reward receiving yardage anymore than rushing yardage for a running back or vice versa for a receiver, so why do we reward rushing yardage more than passing yardage for a quarterback? This also has a LARGE impact on long term dynasty rankings of players, as the values of Cam, RGIII, Kaeprnick, Luck (to a lesser extent), etc... are greatly influenced by the fact that they accumulate a sustainable and consistent level of rushing statistics.We have already seen an evolution of sorts in this area, as the days of awarding 4 points for passing touchdowns and 6 points for rushing touchdowns as the accepted norm and/or way all leagues run are a thing of the past. More and more, you see leagues awarding 6 points for all touchdowns and it continues to grow closer to the "standard" for leagues.With that in mind, is it time to start scoring quarterbacks on a total yardage scale, rather than individual scoring for rushing and passing statistics? Rather than award 1 point per 25 passing yards(or whatever is your leagues standard) and 1 point per 10 rushing yards (or whatever is your standard), why not just award 1 point per 25 total yards (or whatever your leagues standard)? Additionally, what would that do to people's rankings and how much fluctuation and volatility would some of the quarterbacks who rely on rushing statistics to buoy their value/ranking see?Also, if this is actually just totally useless drivel, and there is a 75% chance it is, then just disregard and carry on with the thread!
I see what you're saying; but isn't it equally imbalanced to suggest that 10 rushing yards from a QB is worth less than 10 rushing yards from a RB?

'SSOG said:
I see your point, but don't know if it is applicable here. Newton's nearly 2 year sample size has been pretty consistant, save an outlier: a few bad games over the first half of the season.
Those poor games to start the season were part of what I was referring to. People were ranking him during a cold streak as if it represented the new normal. Things have equalized a bit, but now the pendulum is starting to swing the other way. Looking at the last 4 games and dismissing his slow start to the season as an "outlier" is ranking him based on his hot streak. Big games, small games, you can't dismiss any of them as outliers or anoint any if them as the new normal. You have to look at the whole body of work. Calvin is another fantastic example of this. After scoring 2 TDs a game for each of the first 4 weeks last year, people were declaring that the new normal and speculating about 30 TD seasons. Wouldn't you know it, though, his TD pace over the last 12 games conformed pretty much exactly to his career averages, not to his "new normal" hot streak. And the opposite was true after his slow start to this season.

The bolded is important and a reason why raw VBD scores don't tell the entire story. What good does Marcel Reece do for you as soon as McFadden/Goodson is back? Surely, you won't be getting replacement or baseline production. Replacement or baseline production from a RB has solid value and is much harder to secure than any other position.

I won't pretend to know how to adjust the VBD numbers or the baseline to capture that difference, but I do know it's there.
I think you're wrong. Maybe your strategy has led you away from this possibility. I have a 1st in points team where I started Gerhart W1, played Draughn a few weeks, eventually got to Reece, and now have moved on to Bryce Brown. Each step of the way I upgraded my production - twice by waiver moves, and once by a 5th round rookie sleeper. Whose to say Montell Owens won't get 70 yards, 4 catches, and a TD this week. Another league where I played LSH and Andre Brown at various points and kept Moreno all year for just this possibility, I used my last $28 on Owens to try and beat Instinctive this week. You can always get a guy.
Haha just noticed this. It's gonna work, and it is a strategy I totally agree with.

ETA:

I think I'm dropping all my ZLeagues after this year. I am WAY too busy to run as many leagues as I do with any semblance of effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really neither here nor there, may not really belong here, and was just a passing thought, but figured this was the best place to generate decent discussion on it and in a roundabout way it does pertain to dynasty values of players. Am I the only person who feels the standard scoring for quarterbacks has become archaic and outdated? As more and more "running" quarterbacks enter the league and the NFL begins what feels like a slow transition from "prototypical pocket quarterback" to the Vick, RGIII, Cam, Kaeprnick, Tebow, Rodgers, etc... mold- players who are equally as good/dangerous running as they are throwing- it feels like the balance between fantasy points awarded for passing stats and fantasy points awarded for rushing stats has gotten too out of whack.I guess I am not even entirely sure where I am going with this, but it feels silly to me that a quarterback who rushes for 100 yards and throws for 100 yards produces points on par and/or better than a quarterback who throws for 300 yards and rushes for 0 yards in most leagues. In what universe is 200 yards better than 300? Why are rushing stats such a huge elevator for quarterbacks? It doesn't seem to follow reason for me. As an example, we don't reward receiving yardage anymore than rushing yardage for a running back or vice versa for a receiver, so why do we reward rushing yardage more than passing yardage for a quarterback? This also has a LARGE impact on long term dynasty rankings of players, as the values of Cam, RGIII, Kaeprnick, Luck (to a lesser extent), etc... are greatly influenced by the fact that they accumulate a sustainable and consistent level of rushing statistics.We have already seen an evolution of sorts in this area, as the days of awarding 4 points for passing touchdowns and 6 points for rushing touchdowns as the accepted norm and/or way all leagues run are a thing of the past. More and more, you see leagues awarding 6 points for all touchdowns and it continues to grow closer to the "standard" for leagues.With that in mind, is it time to start scoring quarterbacks on a total yardage scale, rather than individual scoring for rushing and passing statistics? Rather than award 1 point per 25 passing yards(or whatever is your leagues standard) and 1 point per 10 rushing yards (or whatever is your standard), why not just award 1 point per 25 total yards (or whatever your leagues standard)? Additionally, what would that do to people's rankings and how much fluctuation and volatility would some of the quarterbacks who rely on rushing statistics to buoy their value/ranking see?Also, if this is actually just totally useless drivel, and there is a 75% chance it is, then just disregard and carry on with the thread!
I see what you're saying; but isn't it equally imbalanced to suggest that 10 rushing yards from a QB is worth less than 10 rushing yards from a RB?
Yes. A good way to balance it isn't to change the points awarded for rush yards...it's to SUBTRACT the points for yards taken in sacks

Yes. A good way to balance it isn't to change the points awarded for rush yards...it's to SUBTRACT the points for yards taken in sacks
That wouldn't change things at all. Running QBs would still get an equal bump in value. Even if they score 0 points a game, compared to the average QB who scores -10 points from rushing total, it' still an advantage.

I'm in a league with EBF and some other FBgs that gives .1 pts per passing yard. Deflates the value of running QBs but makes QBS scoring overall crazy.

I'm in a league with EBF and some other FBgs that gives .1 pts per passing yard. Deflates the value of running QBs but makes QBS scoring overall crazy.
Yep. My first dynasty league. Joined back in 2003 and took William Green over Peyton Manning in the startup draft. :lol: Know your scoring system.I traded Harvin and the 1.04 pick in that league in April this past year to get Andrew Luck. When a QB can drop 65 points in a game, you need a good one.

Yep. My first dynasty league. Joined back in 2003 and took William Green over Peyton Manning in the startup draft. :lol: Know your scoring system.I traded Harvin and the 1.04 pick in that league in April this past year to get Andrew Luck. When a QB can drop 65 points in a game, you need a good one.
:hifive:You inspired me to trade Dez Bryant, my 13 first and 13 2nd for that 1.04 and I took RG3.Working out pretty well for both of us so far.

That wouldn't change things at all. Running QBs would still get an equal bump in value. Even if they score 0 points a game, compared to the average QB who scores -10 points from rushing total, it' still an advantage.
Running QBs take more sacks, so I think it'd help, but not be enough on its own. I'd say add 1 point per completion and subtract one point per incompletion. Running QBs get fewer attempts (every run is, by definition, not a pass). Doing that would bring Peyton 68 points closer to Griffin this year, for instance.

Didn't see this Bernard Pierce highlight until today:http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000101228/RB-Pierce-18-yd-runPretty athletic play. This guy is looking like one of the best backups in the league. Considering where Hillman and Pead went in rookie drafts this past year, Pierce was a great value. He looks like a real player.
No love for Pierce? He is my most widely owned dynasty RB besides Daryl Richardson, who was just a waiver pick up. 3rd round pick5'11.6" 218 poundsran 4.49 at the combine and 4.38 at his pro day36.5" vert10'3" broad jump still just 21 years oldLikely a future NFL starter, but costs peanuts because he's on the same team as Ray Rice. Looking at the dynasty RBs right now, he is shaping up to be one of the best value-for-money buys this offseason along with guys like David Wilson, Rashard Mendenhall, and maybe Toby Gerhart.

David Wilson may have raised that peanuts price tag yesterday... which sucks as I was definitely looking to buy him in the offseason.

Didn't see this Bernard Pierce highlight until today:http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000101228/RB-Pierce-18-yd-runPretty athletic play. This guy is looking like one of the best backups in the league. Considering where Hillman and Pead went in rookie drafts this past year, Pierce was a great value. He looks like a real player.
No love for Pierce? He is my most widely owned dynasty RB besides Daryl Richardson, who was just a waiver pick up. 3rd round pick5'11.6" 218 poundsran 4.49 at the combine and 4.38 at his pro day36.5" vert10'3" broad jump still just 21 years oldLikely a future NFL starter, but costs peanuts because he's on the same team as Ray Rice. Looking at the dynasty RBs right now, he is shaping up to be one of the best value-for-money buys this offseason along with guys like David Wilson, Rashard Mendenhall, and maybe Toby Gerhart.
I like Pierce - happily grabbed him late in a few drafts, feeling all along that he was as good a prospect overall as guys like Pead, Hillman, and James who went a round or two earlier. He definitely has passed the eyeball test for me when I've had a chance to see him play also. He wouldn't come super cheap at all if you're buying him from me, though.Wilson's buy window probably slammed shut this week, obviously.I like Gerhart also. He'll be a UFA after next year, and has the ability to carve out a nice role somewhere.Mendenhall is a crapshoot IMO. First of all he's more expensive than a Gerhart, Pierce type, at least in my leagues. His owners know he's a UFA and want to see where he ends up. Second, his value will be totally dependent on where he lands -- as a Steelers homer who's watched every play of his pro career, he's not good enough to overcome a bad situation and be fantasy-relevant. If he lands in GB or Indy or something, then he's probably a steal at his current price. But he could also go to Arizona or land in a RBBC somewhere (he's just not good enough to automatically get the lion's share regardless), in which case he'll likely be hot garbage. If you can get him cheap enough, sure, but anyone who has held on this long is unlikely to jump ship right before the possible payoff.

he's not good enough to overcome a bad situation and be fantasy-relevant.
Generally agree with nearly everything you write, but don't here.Mendenhall has already overcome a terrible situation and been highly relevant. The Steelers' o-line mostly sucked during his workhorse years.
Do you still have the blog? I am curious to read what you think about this coming class; perhaps you haven't started researching it yet. But, when you do, again, very interested. :thumbup:

Those that caught LaMichael James this weekend, thoughts? I thought he looked pretty good. He looked bigger in pads than I expected him to next to this level of competition. He is not going to grind out yards, though.

Thanks Coop... I haven't posted since June or July, but will pick up again for the draft. Also kicking around the idea of just putting what I've got out there this summer to generate discussion and see if the crowd can improve on what I've got.

FWIW, there's no doubt that the basic cross-position algorithm is right at this point and for the first time in like eight years I've gone six months without any new ideas on how to improve things. It's mostly just waiting for data to fill in the holes now. If I ever go back and beef up my own stats knowledge I might revisit the performance metrics I use so that they're statistically sounder, but the crude ones seem to work OK so maybe not.

Mendenhall is a crapshoot IMO. First of all he's more expensive than a Gerhart, Pierce type, at least in my leagues. His owners know he's a UFA and want to see where he ends up. Second, his value will be totally dependent on where he lands -- as a Steelers homer who's watched every play of his pro career, he's not good enough to overcome a bad situation and be fantasy-relevant. If he lands in GB or Indy or something, then he's probably a steal at his current price.
To be honest I didn't know there was that much interest in Mendenhall. It seems like one of those situations where you hope and hope he lands in Indy because it's such a great situation. And after he goes there, a few weeks into 2013 you realize he's still just Rashard Mendenhall. Gives me hope that I can sell high.I don't see what the fascination with Gerhart is other than price. He can catch and he can do goalline, but so can Mike Tolbert and Marcel Reese, right? It seems there are a dozen Toby Gerharts and probably none of them are more than injury replacement plays.

he's not good enough to overcome a bad situation and be fantasy-relevant.
Generally agree with nearly everything you write, but don't here.Mendenhall has already overcome a terrible situation and been highly relevant. The Steelers' o-line mostly sucked during his workhorse years.
The line certainly was a major negative, but overall the situation was pretty good - minimal competition and a good offense that provided him with heavy red zone touches. I think he's a guy a team can "get by with," but he's not a weapon that can dictate to a defense. I think he's most likely to sign a "lead guy in the committee" type contract and end up in that type of role. He's not as bad as some people think, but he's not a difference maker in any way either.

Mendenhall is a crapshoot IMO. First of all he's more expensive than a Gerhart, Pierce type, at least in my leagues. His owners know he's a UFA and want to see where he ends up. Second, his value will be totally dependent on where he lands -- as a Steelers homer who's watched every play of his pro career, he's not good enough to overcome a bad situation and be fantasy-relevant. If he lands in GB or Indy or something, then he's probably a steal at his current price.
To be honest I didn't know there was that much interest in Mendenhall. It seems like one of those situations where you hope and hope he lands in Indy because it's such a great situation. And after he goes there, a few weeks into 2013 you realize he's still just Rashard Mendenhall. Gives me hope that I can sell high.I don't see what the fascination with Gerhart is other than price. He can catch and he can do goalline, but so can Mike Tolbert and Marcel Reese, right? It seems there are a dozen Toby Gerharts and probably none of them are more than injury replacement plays.
Mendenhall is no worse than guys like Benson, McGahee, and BJGE, who all became starters on new teams after moving on. I think that's likely to happen with him if Pitt lets him walk. There are lots of teams like the Dolphins, Colts, Broncos, Raiders, Lions, Packers, Falcons, Cardinals, and Rams who would love to have a guy like this in their stable. Bear in mind that there was very little excitement about Lynch, Benson, McGahee, etc. when they were at this point in their careers. History repeats itself. Mendy will be just 26 next season and I think he has a decent chance to log more points over the next few years than guys like Forte, Chris Johnson, and MJD. He's just not a hot name right now because of the season he had, which is probably related to him tearing his ACL last December. As for Gerhart, I think he becomes a more attractive acquisition as Peterson increasingly becomes a less attractive one. With Peterson having a monster year and convincing everyone that he'll be a star forever (he won't), Gerhart has become a complete afterthought. I've never been a massive fan of his game, but he might be good enough to start in the NFL. He was a prolific college player, a second round pick, and has been productive thus far in his pro career. He averaged 4.83 YPC last season in games where he had 10+ carries. His contract is due to expire after next season. If he doesn't get another chance in Minnesota between now and then, it's possible that he could emerge as something like a Michael Bush or Andre Brown elsewhere. I would not give up a lot for him, but at this point I don't think the sticker price would be very high.

'EBF said:
Mendenhall is no worse than guys like Benson, McGahee, and BJGE, who all became starters on new teams after moving on. I think that's likely to happen with him if Pitt lets him walk. There are lots of teams like the Dolphins, Colts, Broncos, Raiders, Lions, Packers, Falcons, Cardinals, and Rams who would love to have a guy like this in their stable. Bear in mind that there was very little excitement about Lynch, Benson, McGahee, etc. when they were at this point in their careers. History repeats itself.
IMO he'll get another chance because he's capable of handling a big load and he's, at worst, an average NFL starting RB. My own thinking has him nearer to Lynch and McGahee than Benson and BJGE, but it doesn't really matter. Non-elite guys who are solid can put up strong numbers in good situations. And, as EBF points out above, there are some potentially tasty situations out there that might be looking for a RB.

'EBF said:
'thriftyrocker said:
'Coeur de Lion said:
Mendenhall is no worse than guys like Benson, McGahee, and BJGE, who all became starters on new teams after moving on. I think that's likely to happen with him if Pitt lets him walk. There are lots of teams like the Dolphins, Colts, Broncos, Raiders, Lions, Packers, Falcons, Cardinals, and Rams who would love to have a guy like this in their stable. Bear in mind that there was very little excitement about Lynch, Benson, McGahee, etc. when they were at this point in their careers. History repeats itself. Mendy will be just 26 next season and I think he has a decent chance to log more points over the next few years than guys like Forte, Chris Johnson, and MJD. He's just not a hot name right now because of the season he had, which is probably related to him tearing his ACL last December.
Benson, McGahee, and Jones are solid comparisons to Mendenhall. IMO so are guys like Peyton Hillis and Michael Bush -- all in the range of solid RBs who need things to fall right (limited competition, decent or better offense) to be playable in most fantasy leagues. Mendenhall landing somewhere like Arizona where he has to fight with two other high picks at RB (not to mention the line, etc) is not going to be startable. In GB or Indy he's likely a good RB2, maybe more.Think we agree for the most part on Mendenhall himself, I'm just not seeing him as being undervalued right now with UFA right around the corner. You're not getting him as a throw in, for a mediocre prospect, or even for a late 1st with the way people feel about this draft class.

'EBF said:
Bear in mind that there was very little excitement about Lynch, Benson, McGahee, etc. when they were at this point in their careers. History repeats itself.
Lynch is sort of the exception. He has become the focal point of an average to above average offense. The + landing spots for Mendenhall won't give him that. They will make him a cog in a great offense. Benson carried limited trade value even when he was producing because he had 0 upside. A few years of stable RB production is nothing to sneeze at, but it's replaceable. If McGahee was younger and started 2012 the way he started this year, he'd carry a lot of value, so I'm sure that's what you're hoping for. I think McGahee was a better back than Mendenhall, but not much. I agree it's a possibility, but I think I'd lean toward cashing out.

'EBF said:
Bear in mind that there was very little excitement about Lynch, Benson, McGahee, etc. when they were at this point in their careers. History repeats itself.
Lynch is sort of the exception. He has become the focal point of an average to above average offense. The + landing spots for Mendenhall won't give him that. They will make him a cog in a great offense. Benson carried limited trade value even when he was producing because he had 0 upside. A few years of stable RB production is nothing to sneeze at, but it's replaceable. If McGahee was younger and started 2012 the way he started this year, he'd carry a lot of value, so I'm sure that's what you're hoping for. I think McGahee was a better back than Mendenhall, but not much. I agree it's a possibility, but I think I'd lean toward cashing out.
I am not sure that was the case when he first arrived. Nobody new what to expect and Seattle was not nearly as put together as they are now.

Mendenhall will probably be a free agent until at least August, just like most mediocre veteran former starting running backs. He could get a last minute call like Benson, never know, but if you're hanging onto him now you need to recognize that's the most likely scenario. Teams are going to throw darts at younger, more cost efficient options in the draft if they're looking for RB's - not eat into cap space with an average talent like Mendenhall. When the available options on the team show they're not up to task or injuries beset then he will get a call.

Michael Turner falls into this category too, I'd throw the dart at Mendenhall first fwiw, and I think NFL teams will too.

Steven Jackson, Reggie Bush, Peyton Hillis, Cedric Benson, Felix Jones and Mendenhall are all guys in the same rough tier of FA to be RBs IMO. All will depend almost entirely on landing spot. I'd say Mendenhall is likely the most expensive of these guys (prolly the best combo of talent/age also to be fair) -- if I want to roll the dice on free agent landing spots I'd rather do it almost for free with a Benson, Hillis type than pay a premium to roll the same dice with Mendenhall.

'EBF said:
I am not sure that was the case when he first arrived. Nobody new what to expect and Seattle was not nearly as put together as they are now.
Yes I agree. It's what he became as the pieces gelled (or didn't gel) around him. A lot of the good landing spots for Mendenhall are already set in what they do. He's not going to go to Indy and demand a lot of touches. Or GB. He's going to be a cog (at best?). Lynch/Priest Holmes/Turner situations are rare.

I guess I am not even entirely sure where I am going with this, but it feels silly to me that a quarterback who rushes for 100 yards and throws for 100 yards produces points on par and/or better than a quarterback who throws for 300 yards and rushes for 0 yards in most leagues. In what universe is 200 yards better than 300? Why are rushing stats such a huge elevator for quarterbacks? It doesn't seem to follow reason for me. As an example, we don't reward receiving yardage anymore than rushing yardage for a running back or vice versa for a receiver, so why do we reward rushing yardage more than passing yardage for a quarterback?

With that in mind, is it time to start scoring quarterbacks on a total yardage scale, rather than individual scoring for rushing and passing statistics? Rather than award 1 point per 25 passing yards(or whatever is your leagues standard) and 1 point per 10 rushing yards (or whatever is your standard), why not just award 1 point per 25 total yards (or whatever your leagues standard)? Additionally, what would that do to people's rankings and how much fluctuation and volatility would some of the quarterbacks who rely on rushing statistics to buoy their value/ranking see?
I think using total yardage for QBs is a good idea actually.As far as the bolded point about rushing and receiving yardage, the majority of leagues use PPR or some version of PPR, in which receiving yardage is effectively rewarded more than rushing yardage. Some do it for WRs and RBs, some use a sliding scale, some do it for WRs but not RBs... but all of them effectively give more points for receiving yards.

'EBF said:
Yes I agree. It's what he became as the pieces gelled (or didn't gel) around him. A lot of the good landing spots for Mendenhall are already set in what they do. He's not going to go to Indy and demand a lot of touches. Or GB.
I'd disagree with that. I'm sure the Colts and Packers would love to run the ball more than they do. They just don't have the personnel to do it. There are probably at least ten teams in the NFL where Mendenhall would be the most talented RB on the roster. If he goes to one of those spots, he could have pretty significant value. I actually think he's more likely than not to rush for 1000+ yards again at some point in his career. So if you can get him for the price of a dynasty RB3, which is where a lot of people seem to value him, I'd say it's good business.

'JFS171 said:
David Wilson may have raised that peanuts price tag yesterday... which sucks as I was definitely looking to buy him in the offseason.
I own Wilson in two different dynasty leagues. In the offseason saying nothing crazy happens in the next few weeks, I would not trade Wilson for Ridley, Sproles, Gore, Leshoure, Bradshaw, MJD, Law Firm, Steven Jackson, Daryl Richardson, Shonn Greene...just for some examples.

I think I am going to look into selling David Wilson in the off season. There is certainly risk of missing out on a Spiller/Charles level talent. But if an owner is willing to pay as though it is anything close to a given, I'd happily move him.

He has a ways to go before he is trusted to be a regular contributor. Above and beyond that, what role did NYG have in mind when drafting him? The number of players who can produce RB1/2 numbers with 10-12 touches a game is very small.

Deals I would consider as a starting point; I'll be trying to add to Wilson to acquire a player like Spiller/Charles. Or downgrade from Wilson, to RBs others might be down on: McFadden, Ingram. Or straight across to someone wanting the younger upside option: Murray, Ridley, Morris.

Just based on posts in this forum, I think the needle really moved on his value. I don't think he is any closer than he was a week ago, but his value is much higher. I feel there are other options who provide more value, based on cost: LaMichael, Richardson, Pead, Hillman, Ingram, etc.

I think I am going to look into selling David Wilson in the off season. There is certainly risk of missing out on a Spiller/Charles level talent. But if an owner is willing to pay as though it is anything close to a given, I'd happily move him. He has a ways to go before he is trusted to be a regular contributor. Above and beyond that, what role did NYG have in mind when drafting him? The number of players who can produce RB1/2 numbers with 10-12 touches a game is very small. Deals I would consider as a starting point; I'll be trying to add to Wilson to acquire a player like Spiller/Charles. Or downgrade from Wilson, to RBs others might be down on: McFadden, Ingram. Or straight across to someone wanting the younger upside option: Murray, Ridley, Morris.Just based on posts in this forum, I think the needle really moved on his value. I don't think he is any closer than he was a week ago, but his value is much higher. I feel there are other options who provide more value, based on cost: LaMichael, Richardson, Pead, Hillman, Ingram, etc.
I've never been a big Wilson fan, but I wouldn't sell him for table scraps either, which is basically what I consider guys like Ingram, McFadden, and Pead to be. At the end of the day he's a first round pick on a loaded offense with no obvious long term competitor for the starting RB job. He's ~5-6 years younger than Bradshaw. Andre Brown has always been made out of glass. This is a pretty good situation for a young player to be in. I would hold or buy depending on price. I don't think he will come cheap based on his pedigree and where he went in rookie drafts, but you also won't be able to move him for a more talented player. No real reason to sell unless you think he's a bust and you just want out.

I've never been a big Wilson fan, but I wouldn't sell him for table scraps either, which is basically what I consider guys like Ingram, McFadden, and Pead to be. At the end of the day he's a first round pick on a loaded offense with no obvious long term competitor for the starting RB job. He's ~5-6 years younger than Bradshaw. Andre Brown has always been made out of glass. This is a pretty good situation for a young player to be in. I would hold or buy depending on price. I don't think he will come cheap based on his pedigree and where he went in rookie drafts, but you also won't be able to move him for a more talented player. No real reason to sell unless you think he's a bust and you just want out.
I consider Ingram and Wilson very close in value, actually. Both are in bad situations, both former 1st round picks, both have questions. I am still high on Ingram's talent. Yet, the market dictates Wilson be valued much more; he isn't as far removed from his rookie buzz. I would gladly take advantage of that; Ingram and a late first - sign me up. It's not that I think he is a bust; it's that I am not as sold on him being the next Spiller as the market seems to be. I could come to find my reading of his market value to be way off and hold him. But, if the market is willing to give me what his price dictated after the draft, when he was thought to be a 10-12 carry guy with a good chance to take the job by EOS - again, sign me up. I'm not as sold and there are other pieces with a better risk/reward ratio in my opinion. In summary, if others are willing consider safer than I do, due to his special teams play and a run against the worst defense in the league, be my guest.

I think using total yardage for QBs is a good idea actually.As far as the bolded point about rushing and receiving yardage, the majority of leagues use PPR or some version of PPR, in which receiving yardage is effectively rewarded more than rushing yardage. Some do it for WRs and RBs, some use a sliding scale, some do it for WRs but not RBs... but all of them effectively give more points for receiving yards.
You are right and the thought cross my mind while typing this, but I specifically avoid PPR leagues because I think it is an arbitrary and generally useless stat that doesn't really serve a purpose beyond confusing scoring and making it possible to reward players for mediocre performance (much like the rushing yardage for quarterbacks).I realize I am slowly fading into the minority with this opinion, however, as PPR leagues are more and more becoming the norm.

Rodgers is still #1 imo. He's got 6-ish years of good/great production left, carries the greatest market value right now (in my leagues at least) and judging by Tom Brady's valuation in most leagues at the age of 35, Rodgers will hold his value for a long time as long as he keeps producing (which is the case for any great QB, young or old) so their will be ample opportunity to trade him for a younger model at a later date. Rodgers also has the least worrisome question marks for those that are risk averse.

RG3 is my #2 followed by Cam. Luck is a close 4th.
Very solid. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't have traded Cam for RG3 and Rodgers at one point this year, despite valuing him #1 going into the season. Now, however, in the leagues in which I do own Cam, I wouldn't make those moves now. The last month has been reinvigorating for me as a Cam owner; I've been reminded of the potential he offers every week. I know there are many theories out there, but a simple change in the running game philosophy seems to have sparked a major improvement in this offense. I have to think that positive factor will remain through the rest of this season, and into next, with potential for the situation around him to further improve, as he improves as a player.

I valued RG3 as #1 until recently, and I still love the kid. I don't know how certain I am in this claim - it's easy to feel great about Cam right now - but, again, I wouldn't make that swap. Not only his Cam better built to take the hits, he has been much better at avoiding them.
How quickly you forget that half-season of terrible play. And the mediocre numbers over the second half of last season.Cam has the upside, but he's not the top dynasty QB. He's probably not a top-3 dynasty QB. You're biased because he's on your team.

I'd take Rodgers, RG3, Ryan and probably Luck over him. I think you'd do the same if you didn't own Cam.

With that logic, you should award RBs and WRs with the same yardage as QBs. Yards are yards, right?In that case, QB is going to be pretty much the only position that really matters for your fantasy team and determines your W/L record. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

I don't think one game swayed that many people. After all, he was a first round pick with gaudy college production and workout numbers. There was already a lot to be excited about. That's why he was a high pick in every rookie draft. The same applies to a guy like Michael Floyd. He has a high built-in value based on what he did in college and how high he was selected in the draft. If he catches a 60 yard TD this weekend, it won't really spike his value much.

Wilson might not be the next Spiller, but he also won't cost that much. The risk of him busting is factored into his cost. That's why he's available for the equivalent of something like a 4th-6th round startup pick and not a top 20 overall player. For that cost, he's a solid gamble.

As for Ingram, two years of utter mediocrity on an otherwise explosive offense is a pretty big knock against him. I thought he would be solid coming out of Alabama, but I jumped ship after his rookie year and I'm glad that I did. He's shown basically nothing and looks like he'll be a Benson type at best. I would definitely rather gamble on the upside of a more explosive player with a similar pedigree, which is what Wilson represents.

How quickly you forget that half-season of terrible play. And the mediocre numbers over the second half of last season.Cam has the upside, but he's not the top dynasty QB. He's probably not a top-3 dynasty QB. You're biased because he's on your team.I'd take Rodgers, RG3, Ryan and probably Luck over him.
And why do you think his play was terrible? I have a pretty good understanding of the changes made that led to his current increase in production. I project that to continue.He is 23 and is on his way to his 2nd top 5 season in as many years. He has a top 10 QB season ever, in terms of VBD. Ryan is laughable. RG3, I love, but fear injury concerns. Luck I love, but value Newton's rushing production. Rodgers is Rodgers; I can't blame anyone for siding with the safer, more proven, less risky option.

I consider Ingram and Wilson very close in value, actually. Both are in bad situations, both former 1st round picks, both have questions. I am still high on Ingram's talent. Yet, the market dictates Wilson be valued much more; he isn't as far removed from his rookie buzz. I would gladly take advantage of that; Ingram and a late first - sign me up. It's not that I think he is a bust; it's that I am not as sold on him being the next Spiller as the market seems to be. I could come to find my reading of his market value to be way off and hold him. But, if the market is willing to give me what his price dictated after the draft, when he was thought to be a 10-12 carry guy with a good chance to take the job by EOS - again, sign me up. I'm not as sold and there are other pieces with a better risk/reward ratio in my opinion. In summary, if others are willing consider safer than I do, due to his special teams play and a run against the worst defense in the league, be my guest.
No way I'd give up David Wilson for Mark Ingram.

As for Ingram, two years of utter mediocrity on an otherwise explosive offense is a pretty big knock against him. I thought he would be solid coming out of Alabama, but I jumped ship after his rookie year and I'm glad that I did. He's shown basically nothing and looks like he'll be a Benson type at best. I would definitely rather gamble on the upside of a more explosive player with a similar pedigree, which is what Wilson represents.
As for Wilson, I don't disagree with your valuation him; just question the market value that you suggest. There is a lot of buzz about him in this forum. It will depend on our individual leagues, so there is likely no right or wrong - all it takes is one trade partner, as they say. I will certainly be testing his value, at the very least.As for Ingram, he has looked a lot better than mediocre this season, in my opinion. I really like what I see from him and think his talent would be even better displayed in another situation.

How quickly you forget that half-season of terrible play. And the mediocre numbers over the second half of last season.

I'd take Rodgers, RG3, Ryan and probably Luck over him. I think you'd do the same if you didn't own Cam.
Uhhhh... not so much. Despite the "terrible play" and "mediocre numbers," Cam has bested the career year numbers that Ryan is putting up right now in each of his first two years in the league. Ryan's upside is worse than Cam's floor, and Cam's significantly younger as well; they're not even remotely comparable in fantasy value.And I own Cam nowhere, and have never really been a particularly big fan of him fantasy-wise.

While we're talking about RB values moving forward, how do you guys feel about Vick Ballard? I got him late in my rookie draft, so I don't have a ton invested, but at the same time, the staff appears to love the guy, and even Cosell piped up with some positive reviews of Ballard's game.

Considering the situation in Indy, he could be quite valuable if he could keep that lead back job, but does anyone actually expect that? I have to admit, I'm cautiously optimistic that he can pull that off for 2013.

As for Wilson, I don't disagree with your valuation him; just question the market value that you suggest. There is a lot of buzz about him in this forum. It will depend on our individual leagues, so there is likely no right or wrong - all it takes is one trade partner, as they say. I will certainly be testing his value, at the very least.As for Ingram, he has looked a lot better than mediocre this season, in my opinion. I really like what I see from him and think his talent would be even better displayed in another situation.
I actually agree entirely with the bolded. I think Ingram has looked fairly solid and showed well over the last 6'ish games. I think he looked entirely mediocre to terrible over the first 6-7 games, but based on his recent performance, am willing to entirely chalk that up to injury issues, as his coach alluded to as well.In my opinion, Ingram represents one of the single best, sneaky buy low players in all of football for dynasty leagues. People seem to very, very quickly forget that he won a heisman, was good enough to keep Trent Richardson relegated to a backup/change of pace role at a major university, and was drafted in the first round. People also are blinded by the fact that they mistakenly thought the Saints were a perfect spot for him and have been disappointed by his lack of performance, when in reality there literally may not have been a single worse landing spot in the entire NFL. There are very, very, very few running backs that can thrive in an NFL setting while being shuffled in and out of the lineup constantly on a play by play basis, rarely seeing more than low teens in touches. These players are generally of the Spiller/Charles/Chris Johnson mold- electric, quick, blazingly fast, and capable of taking any single touch 80 yards for a touchdown. Mark Ingram is not of that mold and is not even close to that player. However, before we begin writing his obituary, consider for a second what someone like Shaun Alexander, who in my opinion is built much more like the player Mark Ingram is, would have accomplished on 10-15 touches a week (and before anyone blasts me, I'm mostly picking a random player who experienced fantasy superstardom due to his consistent success carry to carry and ability to take a large workload, not his electric athletic ability or speed). Given 10 touches a week, people would have been grumbling about Alexander's ~50 yards a week and seemingly mediocre play due to not being able to get into the game flow and wear defenses down just as people currently do for Ingram.

The reality, at least as it appears to me, is that the Saints simply seem unwilling to give 1 running back the majority of the touches. I don't really think it matters how well any 1 player in their backfield performs either- this seems to be a philosophical mindset and it hasn't changed even when a running back develops a "hot hand". Mark Ingram is never going to thrive in this setting and it appears he is not going to be able to win anything more than a 10-15 touch a week role unless massive changes happen (Sean Peyton leaving).

However, I also think it is unlikely Ingram spends his entire career with the Saints given this, as he probably isn't a fool and will recognize his best chance for success, and thus better pay, will be to go to a situation more keenly suited to his skills. Given how insanely cheap it is to acquire him right now, at least from how most of the people in this thread are talking about him, I see him as an absolutely ideal buy low. I'm willing to pay bargain basement prices to bet on the fact that Ingram will play for a different coach or be on a different team in the short to mid future...hell, I probably am willing to pay a little more than bargain basement prices, the fact that he is so damn cheap is simply a very nice bonus.

How quickly you forget that half-season of terrible play. And the mediocre numbers over the second half of last season.

Uhhhh... not so much. Despite the "terrible play" and "mediocre numbers," Cam has bested the career year numbers that Ryan is putting up right now in each of his first two years in the league. Ryan's upside is worse than Cam's floor, and Cam's significantly younger as well; they're not even remotely comparable in fantasy value.And I own Cam nowhere, and have never really been a particularly big fan of him fantasy-wise.
I really like Cam (and rank him over Ryan), but you and many others are drastically underrating Ryan imo (likely due to the recent slump he's had). He is an elite fantasy QB in his own right.

I actually agree entirely with the bolded. I think Ingram has looked fairly solid and showed well over the last 6'ish games. I think he looked entirely mediocre to terrible over the first 6-7 games, but based on his recent performance, am willing to entirely chalk that up to injury issues, as his coach alluded to as well.
:goodposting: I'll just add, before the Eagles game (after which Ingram has been the starter; previously, it was Thomas)Ingram was really only used as a short yardage back. I think it's hard to look good in that role, given the Saints offensive line. His YPC was very directly reflective of this.Since starting (including the Eagles game) he has averaged 4.46 YPC.

Users who are viewing this thread