What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (8 Viewers)

As a guy who picked up Danario off waivers ill be looking to shop him ASAP.

Not giving him away but if I can get some of the names mentioned here for him ill jump on it.

Blount did. Blount's rookie year: 5.0/200/1007/6 In every game that he started, he at least had 1 run of 16+ yards. That is 11 games. Straight. He and Martin scored at nearly the exact same rate, too. What am I LOLing at, here?
Martin is a much better overall back than Blount. Blount can be deadly when he has a big crease to work with, but otherwise he's pretty useless. He's bad in space and has very limited elusiveness. When he has to create something in a tight space, he fails. He did have a strong rookie year, but there's a reason he went undrafted and was cut by the Titans in camp. He's not that great. Even if you want to believe that Blount has equal rushing talent to Martin, that's only one piece of the equation. Part of the reason why guys like Forte, Lynch, Rice, and Foster are gold in the NFL and FF is because of their pass catching ability. Blount had 5 catches his entire rookie year. Martin has 35 through 13 games. So no, Blount didn't do what Martin is doing. And I have no reason to believe that he could if given the opportunity. He's simply not a weapon in that facet of the game. Ingram hasn't shown any ability in the passing game either. I think he has more upside in that regard than Blount, but his yards per catch has been downright pathetic thus far in his NFL career and he doesn't have a single 20+ yard play in the passing game. Meanwhile Martin is averaging over 10 yards per catch. I don't really need to bend over backwards explaining why Martin has been great. He's almost beyond reproach at this point. There aren't a lot of 220+ pound backs in the NFL who can make dynamic plays in the running game with power and speed, and also catch 50+ passes in a season. They're a pretty rare breed. When you get those guys in FF, you need to hold onto them.

Those that caught LaMichael James this weekend, thoughts? I thought he looked pretty good. He looked bigger in pads than I expected him to next to this level of competition. He is not going to grind out yards, though.
Very limited role, hope to see his snap count increase to get a better look at him this week. He played about exactly like I thought he would. Great in space, challenged in tight quarters. Will his game suffer in space with an increased workload? That's the question I want answered from him and only way to find out is if he gets more play.

He did have a strong rookie year, but there's a reason he went undrafted and was cut by the Titans in camp. He's not that great.
Not this argument. Fine: there's a reason Ingram was drafted higher than Martin. See?
Even if you want to believe that Blount has equal rushing talent to Martin, that's only one piece of the equation. Part of the reason why guys like Forte, Lynch, Rice, and Foster are gold in the NFL and FF is because of their pass catching ability. Blount had 5 catches his entire rookie year. Martin has 35 through 13 games. So no, Blount didn't do what Martin is doing. And I have no reason to believe that he could if given the opportunity. He's simply not a weapon in that facet of the game.
I was not trying to argue that Blount is as good a back. I am putting context on the basic totals you use to hold Martin up to the best RBs in the NFL.
Ingram hasn't shown any ability in the passing game either. I think he has more upside in that regard than Blount, but his yards per catch has been downright pathetic thus far in his NFL career and he doesn't have a single 20+ yard play in the passing game. Meanwhile Martin is averaging over 10 yards per catch.
Ingram has great hands and displayed such at Bama. Again, why are we using /touch basic stats for guys in such very different positions? Put Martin on the Saints and see how much of the 3rd down work he gets from Sproles/Thomas - likely just as much as Ingram; not much.
I don't really need to bend over backwards explaining why Martin has been great. He's almost beyond reproach at this point. There aren't a lot of 220+ pound backs in the NFL who can make dynamic plays in the running game with power and speed, and also catch 50+ passes in a season. They're a pretty rare breed. When you get those guys in FF, you need to hold onto them.
He is a very good, very balanced player in an ideal situation. Ideal situations for a RB, today, are very rare. Hold on to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very limited role, hope to see his snap count increase to get a better look at him this week. He played about exactly like I thought he would. Great in space, challenged in tight quarters. Will his game suffer in space with an increased workload? That's the question I want answered from him and only way to find out is if he gets more play.
I agree. I think is ideal usage is closer to Sproles than it is to Rice. I was excited, myself, even though the raw numbers don't look great. He did have a coule 0 sum touches.

He is a very good, very balanced player in an ideal situation. Ideal situations for a RB, today, are very rare. Hold on to it.
Yea, but versatile skill sets create ideal situations. When the Ravens had Jamal Lewis, they didn't throw him 70 passes a year. Why? Because he wasn't that good in the receiving game. But now that they have Ray Rice, their approach has totally changed. So you could say that Rice is in an ideal situation, but it would be more accurate to say that he created an ideal situation. Martin is the same way. He was drafted to be a three down back because of his skill set. He gets lots of targets because he's effective in the passing game. That's really where any comparison with Blount or Ingram completely falls apart. Neither guy compares to him as a receiver. You can say that Ingram has great hands, but on 16 career catches he's averaging a paltry 4.3 yards per catch. Martin is averaging 10.8 yards per catch and has almost as many receiving yards as Ingram has total yards. There are lots of backs in the NFL that you can plug in and get 3.8-4.0 YPC from, but a guy who can make plays in space and catch ~50 balls in a year is harder to find. The Saints use a committee because none of their backs are capable of performing all of the roles. Martin combines all of the best qualities of Sproles/Thomas/Ingram into one player, and that's why he's so valuable in the NFL and in FF. Writing him off as a product of the situation is a bit misguided. It's almost like saying RGIII only has good rushing stats because of his situation. If you put Peyton Manning on the Skins, he wouldn't have those rushing yards. That's because his skill set doesn't dictate that kind of usage. Just like how Blount's lack of ability in space restricts what you can do with him. If he were starting in place of Martin, he wouldn't be catching 3-4 balls every game. And Ingram wouldn't suddenly become an explosive player if you put him on a different team.

Blount did.

Blount's rookie year: 5.0/200/1007/6 In every game that he started, he at least had 1 run of 16+ yards. That is 11 games. Straight. He and Martin scored at nearly the exact same rate, too. What am I LOLing at, here?
Martin is a much better overall back than Blount. Blount can be deadly when he has a big crease to work with, but otherwise he's pretty useless. He's bad in space and has very limited elusiveness. When he has to create something in a tight space, he fails. He did have a strong rookie year, but there's a reason he went undrafted and was cut by the Titans in camp. He's not that great. Even if you want to believe that Blount has equal rushing talent to Martin, that's only one piece of the equation. Part of the reason why guys like Forte, Lynch, Rice, and Foster are gold in the NFL and FF is because of their pass catching ability. Blount had 5 catches his entire rookie year. Martin has 35 through 13 games. So no, Blount didn't do what Martin is doing. And I have no reason to believe that he could if given the opportunity. He's simply not a weapon in that facet of the game. Ingram hasn't shown any ability in the passing game either. I think he has more upside in that regard than Blount, but his yards per catch has been downright pathetic thus far in his NFL career and he doesn't have a single 20+ yard play in the passing game. Meanwhile Martin is averaging over 10 yards per catch.

I don't really need to bend over backwards explaining why Martin has been great. He's almost beyond reproach at this point. There aren't a lot of 220+ pound backs in the NFL who can make dynamic plays in the running game with power and speed, and also catch 50+ passes in a season. They're a pretty rare breed. When you get those guys in FF, you need to hold onto them.
I feel you are considerably overrating the ability of one Doug Martin. Let's not forget how mediocre, disappointing, and non-explosive he looked over the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the season. I am a Martin owner in 2 different dynasty leagues (my most important and most competitive leagues), so I am an absolute fan, but I think you are guilty of extreme hyping here. Read that again- I am a fan, was a buyer from the very beginning, believed in his ability since watching him at Boise St., and STILL believe you are completely overrating him at this point in time.Do you know the biggest difference between Doug Martin and Mark Ingram? It's not talent (I believe they are roughly comparable on a talent scale as their draft positions say as much, and actually so does the eyeball test over the last 1/2 of the season. Martin is better, but I don't believe it is by nearly the same margin as you seem to be implying), it's not pass catching ability (Mark Ingram showed plenty of that at Alabama and it was actually a positive of his heading into the draft, not a negative), and it's not athleticism (I concede that Mark Ingram is not the most athletic player to ever hit the NFL, but there have been all kinds of star running backs who were far from from freak athletes. It's one of the few positions on the football field that actual playing skill trumps athletic ability more times than not. Also, Doug Martin is not what I would call an athletic freak either, so let's not go overboard). The difference between the 2 is mostly situation. Martin was given the opportunity, via sheer volume, to excel over the last 1/2 to 2/3 of the season after starting out slowly and, frankly, looking mediocre to bad at the beginning of the year. Had he been in New Orleans, he never would have had that opportunity. All the pass catching stats you want to spit out would be utterly and completely useless and mute because Sproles would be dominating all of those play calls and opportunities, leaving Martin only the ability to try and excel on a handful of 1st or 2nd down plays per game and/or the short yardage opportunities. What are the odds that his stats would mirror Ingram's fairly closely on some level? I would be willing to wager that they would look pretty eerily similar, as I don't feel anyone but the truly great running backs in the NFL (of which I do not believe Doug Martin is yet) could excel on the amount of touches and the situations Mark Ingram has had to work with.

The true answer to this riddle, at least to me, is that Doug Martin is a better player than Mark Ingram, but not nearly so much as is being implied or is currently believed. The difference in situation has a lot more to do with the difference in performance so far in their careers, in my opinion, than the talent difference between the two. If Ingram were on Tampa Bay, I believe he would be viewed as a high end RB2 or a low end RB1, while Doug Martin on New Orleans would be a low end RB2 or a high end RB3. In essence, I believe that the talent difference between the two is high end, elite RB1 (Martin) -vs- low end RB1/high end RB2 (Ingram) if they were in similar, beneficial situations.

As I have said a few times, for the price of a late 1st round pick (which feels to me like the current market for Ingram, although I haven't actually seen a trade completed for him in any of my leagues so I am not entirely sure where I get that feeling), Mark Ingram is a steal given that I believe he has that upside and is merely situation dependent to reach it. I don't dispute that Ingram is more lottery ticket than bankable asset and this discussion is somewhat silly since Martin is already a bankable asset (nor am I absurd enough to believe Ingram is in the same stratosphere as Martin in terms of value). I just think the Ingram lottery ticket has a very high chance to be able to be cashed in and all it will take is a change of scenery or a change in coaching and/or philosophy.

Martin is the same way. He was drafted to be a three down back because of his skill set. He gets lots of targets because he's effective in the passing game. That's really where any comparison with Blount or Ingram completely falls apart. Neither guy compares to him as a receiver. You can say that Ingram has great hands, but on 16 career catches he's averaging a paltry 4.3 yards per catch. Martin is averaging 10.8 yards per catch and has almost as many receiving yards as Ingram has total yards.
What do you think that means? You think they got the same routes, caught the ball in the same locations, and Ingram was only able to get 40% of the yards Martin did? Of course not. Situation. Situation. Situation. Ingram has not been given the opportunity to be a 3rd down/passing back at all. Ever. There is nothing the YPR says beyond that. Absolutely nothing. Ingram has great hands, displayed them at Bama, and any scouting profile will support that statement.
There are lots of backs in the NFL that you can plug in and get 3.8-4.0 YPC from, but a guy who can make plays in space and catch ~50 balls in a year is harder to find. The Saints use a committee because none of their backs are capable of performing all of the roles. Martin combines all of the best qualities of Sproles/Thomas/Ingram into one player, and that's why he's so valuable in the NFL and in FF.
This is gross hyperbole. Martin is the best of Sprores/Thomas/Ingram? You can't truly believe this. Martin would be the 3rd best receiving option out of the Saints backfield. He is not on the same planet as Sproles, in that regard. He's a slightly bigger, slightly faster Mark Ingram in a better situation. That's it.

I feel you are considerably overrating the ability of one Doug Martin. Let's not forget how mediocre, disappointing, and non-explosive he looked over the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the season. I am a Martin owner in 2 different dynasty leagues (my most important and most competitive leagues), so I am an absolute fan, but I think you are guilty of extreme hyping here. Read that again- I am a fan, was a buyer from the very beginning, believed in his ability since watching him at Boise St., and STILL believe you are completely overrating him at this point in time.
Martin showed flashes from the very beginning. The idea that he was this horrible scrub in the first few weeks has been blown out of proportion. He basically had one bad game and one mediocre game. Certainly not enough evidence to justify the amount of flack he got on these boards. Obviously situation plays a huge role in determining FF performance and value. But it also provides a really convenient excuse for anyone looking to defend a player because it's impossible to refute. You can't prove that Peyton Manning wouldn't have the rushing stats of RGIII if he were on the Redskins. Of course we know that it's a ridiculous claim, but it's also impossible to refute. Saying that Ingram could duplicate Martin's numbers on the Bucs is not as crazy, but that doesn't mean it's accurate either. Nothing about Ingram's NFL performance thus far indicates that he has the same caliber of playmaking skills as Martin. Just like how nothing in Peyton's history suggests he would suddenly become a runner if he were on the Redskins. The objective factors aren't that kind to Ingram. He was a high pick and a great college player, but he did terribly in workouts and has shown very little big play ability at the NFL level. So while you can still say "he looks good to me" and fall back on his college career to defend him, the simple fact is that his play doesn't warrant much excitement up to this point. Maybe that will change in time. Maybe it won't.Again, I don't really need to strain myself to defend Martin. It's all there in the stats. Great YPC. Lots of big plays. Great value in the passing game. He's doing about as well as you could reasonably expect anyone to do in the same situation. And if it matters, he was also a first round pick and (unlike Ingram) didn't flunk all the drills at the combine. His workout numbers are about on par with Lynch, which makes sense. I see Lynch as a realistic floor for him with Rice probably representing something close to his ceiling. He's probably a top 10 overall back in the NFL and he doesn't have any real warts, which is why he might be the #1 dynasty RB right now. The only backs who are clearly better than him are also older with a lot more mileage.

I feel you are considerably overrating the ability of one Doug Martin. Let's not forget how mediocre, disappointing, and non-explosive he looked over the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the season. I am a Martin owner in 2 different dynasty leagues (my most important and most competitive leagues), so I am an absolute fan, but I think you are guilty of extreme hyping here. Read that again- I am a fan, was a buyer from the very beginning, believed in his ability since watching him at Boise St., and STILL believe you are completely overrating him at this point in time.Do you know the biggest difference between Doug Martin and Mark Ingram? It's not talent (I believe they are roughly comparable on a talent scale as their draft positions say as much, and actually so does the eyeball test over the last 1/2 of the season. Martin is better, but I don't believe it is by nearly the same margin as you seem to be implying), it's not pass catching ability (Mark Ingram showed plenty of that at Alabama and it was actually a positive of his heading into the draft, not a negative), and it's not athleticism (I concede that Mark Ingram is not the most athletic player to ever hit the NFL, but there have been all kinds of star running backs who were far from from freak athletes. It's one of the few positions on the football field that actual playing skill trumps athletic ability more times than not. Also, Doug Martin is not what I would call an athletic freak either, so let's not go overboard). The difference between the 2 is mostly situation. Martin was given the opportunity, via sheer volume, to excel over the last 1/2 to 2/3 of the season after starting out slowly and, frankly, looking mediocre to bad at the beginning of the year. Had he been in New Orleans, he never would have had that opportunity. All the pass catching stats you want to spit out would be utterly and completely useless and mute because Sproles would be dominating all of those play calls and opportunities, leaving Martin only the ability to try and excel on a handful of 1st or 2nd down plays per game and/or the short yardage opportunities. What are the odds that his stats would mirror Ingram's fairly closely on some level? I would be willing to wager that they would look pretty eerily similar, as I don't feel anyone but the truly great running backs in the NFL (of which I do not believe Doug Martin is yet) could excel on the amount of touches and the situations Mark Ingram has had to work with.The true answer to this riddle, at least to me, is that Doug Martin is a better player than Mark Ingram, but not nearly so much as is being implied or is currently believed. The difference in situation has a lot more to do with the difference in performance so far in their careers, in my opinion, than the talent difference between the two. If Ingram were on Tampa Bay, I believe he would be viewed as a high end RB2 or a low end RB1, while Doug Martin on New Orleans would be a low end RB2 or a high end RB3. In essence, I believe that the talent difference between the two is high end, elite RB1 (Martin) -vs- low end RB1/high end RB2 (Ingram) if they were in similar, beneficial situations.As I have said a few times, for the price of a late 1st round pick (which feels to me like the current market for Ingram, although I haven't actually seen a trade completed for him in any of my leagues so I am not entirely sure where I get that feeling), Mark Ingram is a steal given that I believe he has that upside and is merely situation dependent to reach it. I don't dispute that Ingram is more lottery ticket than bankable asset and this discussion is somewhat silly since Martin is already a bankable asset (nor am I absurd enough to believe Ingram is in the same stratosphere as Martin in terms of value). I just think the Ingram lottery ticket has a very high chance to be able to be cashed in and all it will take is a change of scenery or a change in coaching and/or philosophy.
:goodposting:

The objective factors aren't that kind to Ingram. He was a high pick and a great college player, but he did terribly in workouts and has shown very little big play ability at the NFL level. So while you can still say "he looks good to me" and fall back on his college career to defend him, the simple fact is that his play doesn't warrant much excitement up to this point. Maybe that will change in time. Maybe it won't.
Combine results are not objective, as far their translation to NFL production goes. Chris Henry, anyone? You can't defend Doug Martin by bringing up combine results; he didn't exactly blow anyone away either. And who here is falling back on his college career? Everyone supporting Ingram in this conversation has mentioned is NFL production since starting this year.If you want to ignore that due to his rookie season in which he was never healthy, fine. But don't accuse us of not looking at all available information.

Ingram has great hands, displayed them at Bama, and any scouting profile will support that statement.
Hands aren't the problem. It's the lack of playmaking ability that hurts him. He's not an explosive player. He can't make things happen in space. He has a lower career YPC than Shonn Greene and averages fewer yards per reception. I'd have to look at the stats to be certain, but his ratio of touches to big plays is probably one of the worst in the league. And that's essentially what separates Martin from him. Martin makes "+" plays. Ingram gets the minimum. Blame it on opportunity all you want. The numbers tell a different story. He has 250+ career touches and no plays longer than 35 yards.
This is gross hyperbole. Martin is the best of Sprores/Thomas/Ingram? You can't truly believe this. Martin would be the 3rd best receiving option out of the Saints backfield. He is not on the same planet as Sproles, in that regard.
Martin is averaging 10.8 yards per reception compared to 8.4 for Sproles. You could make a case for Martin being the most effective RB in the passing game in the NFL this year. I think he has the highest yards per catch. He has the power of Ingram and the ability to make plays in space of Thomas/Sproles. So what I said applies. He combines the best traits of those backs into one player. If the Saints had him, they wouldn't need the others.

I think Martin is being a touch over rated right now and Ingram is a nice buy low, but...this is ridiculous. Playing the what if game really doesn't work here, Tampa drafted Martin because they wanted a work horse, New Orleans drafted Ingram because they didn't think they had a between the tackles runner. I think Ingram's role would have expanded this year had he not come into the year banged up and had Payton been around. Still, saying he'd be doing what Martin is doing in Tampa if he were there just doesn't ring true. Ingram's nowhere near the asset in the pass game and isn't a daylight runner. Martin churns out the tough yardage and can take it home if he has a hole, Ingram's a yardage churner too but he won't breakaway in the open field which is why New Orleans doesn't use him in that role. He wouldn't have made sense in New Orleans because his skills in the passing game would be neutralized since they already have guys in Sproles and Pierre that fulfill that role.

With the advantage of hindsight, I think New Orleans wishes they'd have passed on Ingram but they didn't think Ivory was as good as he was. Sproles-Pierre-Ivory-Cadet, that's something they could have worked with and improved another position. Live and learn.

Martin is averaging 10.8 yards per reception compared to 8.4 for Sproles. You could make a case for Martin being the most effective RB in the passing game in the NFL this year. I think he has the highest yards per catch.
Let me get this straight; you think Doug Martin is a better receiving threat than Darren Sproles?

Combine results are not objective, as far their translation to NFL production goes. Chris Henry, anyone? You can't defend Doug Martin by bringing up combine results; he didn't exactly blow anyone away either.
I'd be the first guy to admit that combine numbers don't always tell you everything about a prospect, but they're certainly relevant to any discussion of a player's athletic ability. It's not a coincidence that guys like Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, and Chris Johnson blew the doors off the combine. They've got rare gifts and it's reflected in the numbers. Combine numbers give you a starting point. In the case of Ingram, they indicate very underwhelming tools. I would be willing to ignore all of that if his on-field performance contradicted it, but it hasn't so far. His workout numbers say that he lacks explosiveness, and that's exactly what we've seen so far in the NFL. Martin's workout numbers are fine. Nothing amazing, but within the range of what you usually see from a first round RB prospect.

Still, saying he'd be doing what Martin is doing in Tampa if he were there just doesn't ring true. Ingram's nowhere near the asset in the pass game...
Based on what? It was one of Ingram's biggest strengths coming out of college. Just because he hasn't been given the opportunity, doesn't mean he isn't capable.
... and isn't a daylight runner. Martin churns out the tough yardage and can take it home if he has a hole...
The Oakland game really altered people perception of Martin. He's fast enough, just as Arian Foster is, but he doesn't have homerun speed. He's not Peterson, he's not Spiller, Charles, or Johnson.
Ingram's a yardage churner too but he won't breakaway in the open field which is why New Orleans doesn't use him in that role.
What role? The break-away role? You 50 yard runs are in the playbook?

Martin is averaging 10.8 yards per reception compared to 8.4 for Sproles. You could make a case for Martin being the most effective RB in the passing game in the NFL this year. I think he has the highest yards per catch.
Let me get this straight.; you think Doug Martin is a better receiving threat than Darren Sproles?
I'm willing to entertain the idea. Martin has been absolutely great as a receiver this year. He isn't as quite or fast as Sproles, but he's significantly bigger with better tackle breaking ability. He's a very versatile talent and very dangerous in space. People might not realize that he also returned kicks at Boise State and had some big time plays in that area as well.

Let me get this straight.; you think Doug Martin is a better receiving threat than Darren Sproles?
I'm willing to entertain the idea. Martin has been absolutely great as a receiver this year. He isn't as quite or fast as Sproles, but he's significantly bigger with better tackle breaking ability. He's a very versatile talent and very dangerous in space. People might not realize that he also returned kicks at Boise State and had some big time plays in that area as well.
Would you entertain the idea of Chris Ivory being a better runner than Martin due to YPC? Or D.Richardson, or P. Thomas, or Kendall Hunter, or Aldred Morris, or Chris Johnson, or Frank Gore, or Brandon Bolden, or Shane Vereen, or Andre Brown?Without context YPX numbers are very flawed. Any stat that suggests Martin is the receiving threat that Sproles is needs context.

I feel you are considerably overrating the ability of one Doug Martin. Let's not forget how mediocre, disappointing, and non-explosive he looked over the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the season. I am a Martin owner in 2 different dynasty leagues (my most important and most competitive leagues), so I am an absolute fan, but I think you are guilty of extreme hyping here. Read that again- I am a fan, was a buyer from the very beginning, believed in his ability since watching him at Boise St., and STILL believe you are completely overrating him at this point in time.
Martin showed flashes from the very beginning. The idea that he was this horrible scrub in the first few weeks has been blown out of proportion. He basically had one bad game and one mediocre game. Certainly not enough evidence to justify the amount of flack he got on these boards. Obviously situation plays a huge role in determining FF performance and value. But it also provides a really convenient excuse for anyone looking to defend a player because it's impossible to refute. You can't prove that Peyton Manning wouldn't have the rushing stats of RGIII if he were on the Redskins. Of course we know that it's a ridiculous claim, but it's also impossible to refute. Saying that Ingram could duplicate Martin's numbers on the Bucs is not as crazy, but that doesn't mean it's accurate either. Nothing about Ingram's NFL performance thus far indicates that he has the same caliber of playmaking skills as Martin. Just like how nothing in Peyton's history suggests he would suddenly become a runner if he were on the Redskins.

The objective factors aren't that kind to Ingram. He was a high pick and a great college player, but he did terribly in workouts and has shown very little big play ability at the NFL level. So while you can still say "he looks good to me" and fall back on his college career to defend him, the simple fact is that his play doesn't warrant much excitement up to this point. Maybe that will change in time. Maybe it won't.

Again, I don't really need to strain myself to defend Martin. It's all there in the stats. Great YPC. Lots of big plays. Great value in the passing game. He's doing about as well as you could reasonably expect anyone to do in the same situation. And if it matters, he was also a first round pick and (unlike Ingram) didn't flunk all the drills at the combine. His workout numbers are about on par with Lynch, which makes sense. I see Lynch as a realistic floor for him with Rice probably representing something close to his ceiling. He's probably a top 10 overall back in the NFL and he doesn't have any real warts, which is why he might be the #1 dynasty RB right now. The only backs who are clearly better than him are also older with a lot more mileage.
Let's move away from Ingram for a second and focus in on Martin.If this conversation is telling me anything, it is that I ABSOLUTELY need to be looking to trade Doug Martin right now and cash in on what seems like an extreme over-inflation of his value. #1 overall dynasty RB?! What?! I have watched literally every snap of his season so far this year (remember, owner in my 2 biggest and most competitive leagues so I have a very vested interest) and I have come away thinking he is a solid, above average player but nothing CLOSE to anything that would resemble the #1 overall running back. I am of the belief that his current performance is outpacing his actual skill level and don't value him close to that high. His situation really is pretty damn good- good quarterback, great wide outs to draw attention, run oriented coach who is unwilling to abandon it in most situations, good line (despite the injuries), nobody to challenge his workload or goal line touches (which he has had underwhelming success with so far this year) at all currently, and beautiful schedule that has allowed him to feast on some pretty poor run defenses.

For a reference of what I think it would be worth moving him for, if I could get C.J. Spiller +, I would do it in an nanosecond, as Spiller has looked to be the better player to me and is currently putting up stats under his actual talent level due to situation. I'm betting that changes at some point. Also, I would think about Adrian Peterson +, as I believe we have several years of Peterson's top level production to go and don't feel safe enough about Martin on a year to year basis. Also, if he really is the #1 RB, I'm trading him every day and nine times on Sunday for Trent Richardson straight up and/or am willing to give Martin + to get Richardson if the gap has narrowed between the two that much. Other things I would consider but wouldn't be slam dunks would be Rice + (some age concern and he isn't the once in a lifetime talent Peterson is), McCoy + (Bryce Brown gives me a tiny bit of worry about future workloads and/or goal line touches), Jamaal Charles + (I believe Charles is a better player), and maybe even Steven Ridley ++ (I'm not so entirely sold that Doug Martin is a vastly better player than Steven Ridley). I'm not sure Doug Martin belongs ahead of any of these players, to be frank (with the possible exception of Ridley, who I am including because I don't think Martin is as far ahead of him as is currently believed), and if I could get any of them PLUS other value in return? I suppose I was unaware his value had reached that point, I guess.

In summation, if we have reached a point where it is capable to get what I believe is a more talented player, such as Spiller or Peterson, and more on top of it in return for Martin, I can't see a scenario where it isn't beneficial to move him since I believe his value will fall from that high level as soon as next season. Additionally, if we have reached a point where it is capable to trade Martin and more, within reason, to get Trent Richardson (which was not the case earlier this year- it would have taken Martin and a king's ransom to land Richardson) then I can't see how that shouldn't be done as well.

What am I missing in regards to Martin? I admit that I am possibly just not high enough on him, but I just haven't been blown away nearly enough after watching extensively to value him at these levels. I always have felt he is lucky to have a competent offense around him, a coach willing to feed him, and that he doesn't have anyone looming that suddenly could hurt his value (like McCoy potentially now has to worry about in Bryce Brown). I see someone like Spiller and believe he could be doing exactly what Martin is doing now if he were on the Bucs, at least from an overall performance standpoint, but absolutely do not believe Martin could be replicating what Spiller is doing on the Bills. I personally like the players that I value as elite at their position to be much more irreplaceable than this.

Would you entertain the idea of Chris Ivory being a better runner than Martin due to YPC? Or D.Richardson, or P. Thomas, or Kendall Hunter, or Aldred Morris, or Chris Johnson, or Frank Gore, or Brandon Bolden, or Shane Vereen, or Andre Brown?
Yea, I would certainly entertain the possibility if they could put up better stats on a similar sample size. I agree that stats aren't everything, but they're pretty significant.

What's the consensus on the current value of Josh Gordon? I realize that now would probably be a bad time to be trading for him, but how high could his ceiling be?

Yea, I would certainly entertain the possibility if they could put up better stats on a similar sample size. I agree that stats aren't everything, but they're pretty significant.
But they're blanket stats. Is Vincent Jackson the best WR in the NFL? He has the highest YPR, followed by Cecil Shorts, Torrey Smith, Josh Gordon, and Brandon LaFell. Martin is great and belongs in any conversation that doesn't include Sproles, Ray Rice, Reggie Bush, and maybe a few others, when it comes to receiving ability. But not because of a 12 game sample of a basic stat.

The Oakland game really altered people perception of Martin. He's fast enough, just as Arian Foster is, but he doesn't have homerun speed. He's not Peterson, he's not Spiller, Charles, or Johnson.
Breaking long runs isn't just about speed. It's also about vision, quickness, and power. You're right that Martin isn't as fast as Charles, Johnson, or Spiller. Fortunately for him, he's a hell of a lot bigger and stronger. If you watch his reel, you can see how his combination of quickness, power, and speed makes him a constant big play threat.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIw6WfOB59k

And the stats corroborate the eyeball test. Here are the NFL leaders in 20+ yard runs:

1. Peterson - 18

2. Spiller - 11

3. Martin - 9

4. Newton - 8

5t. Gore - 7

5t. Charles - 7

5t. Johnson - 7

5t. Morris - 7

5t. McCoy - 7

He's breaking long runs at a similar clip to the fastest backs in the NFL. And he also has four 20+ yard receptions.

This is the main reason why I disagree that Ingram is on Martin's level. He has 250+ NFL touches and hasn't produced nearly as many big plays. And that's really where the debate begins and ends for me. Until Ingram actually flashes some of these alleged playmaking skills, he really doesn't belong in the conversation with a guy who's already doing it.

What's the consensus on the current value of Josh Gordon? I realize that now would probably be a bad time to be trading for him, but how high could his ceiling be?
The advnced stats that I have looked at suggest his season is worthy of the raw stats he put up; high YPT, solid catch rate, despite going deep often, etc.He is a guy I will need to watch over the off-season, though. Didn't make it a point to watch many Browns games this year. Interested in the opinions of those who did watch a good amount, though.

This is the main reason why I disagree that Ingram is on Martin's level. He has 250+ NFL touches and hasn't produced nearly as many big plays. And that's really where the debate begins and ends for me. Until Ingram actually flashes some of these alleged playmaking skills, he really doesn't belong in the conversation with a guy who's already doing it.
I am not arguing that Ingram is capable of breaking off long runs at the pace that Martin is; Ingram's top gear just isn't there.Everything needs context; Martin isn't the homerun hitter than Charles is, so any stat that suggests such needs context. Schedule, Raider game, offensive line, scheme, offense in general...a lot goes into to. I don't want to make it sound like I am discrediting him. He's fast enough, and Arian Foster has a lot of 20 yard runs in his career with a top gear not much faster than Martin's. But, again, context.

Hands aren't the problem. It's the lack of playmaking ability that hurts him. He's not an explosive player. He can't make things happen in space. He has a lower career YPC than Shonn Greene and averages fewer yards per reception.
If you watch a Saints game its pretty apparent the Saints are going to run when Ingram enters the game. He's also used on short yardage and goal-line carries so yes his ypc on such a small sample size isn't going to be all that great.And you're really basing his career ypr on 16 catches?The Saints really don't do any of their RBs any favors by their constant rotation. Sproles is the only back with a defined role and consistent snaps. None of the backs ever get into a rhythm or the flow of the game with such limited opportunities.

Hands aren't the problem. It's the lack of playmaking ability that hurts him. He's not an explosive player. He can't make things happen in space. He has a lower career YPC than Shonn Greene and averages fewer yards per reception.
If you watch a Saints game its pretty apparent the Saints are going to run when Ingram enters the game. He's also used on short yardage and goal-line carries so yes his ypc on such a small sample size isn't going to be all that great.And you're really basing his career ypr on 16 catches?The Saints really don't do any of their RBs any favors by their constant rotation. Sproles is the only back with a defined role and consistent snaps. None of the backs ever get into a rhythm or the flow of the game with such limited opportunities.
I can buy this to a point, but 250+ touches is a lot of opportunities to make something happen. Great players are going to bust big gains on that workload regardless of what the situation and context is.When Ingram was coming into the league I thought the range of outcomes for his career would be Cedric Benson --- Frank Gore. After one year I started leaning heavily towards Benson and that's still where I'm at. They're very similar in every regard. Prolific college backs from major programs who have good power and feet, but poor workout numbers and no real big play ability to speak of. Ingram's plight right now is very similar to what Benson endured in Chicago. I think he can emerge as a serviceable FF RB2 with a change of coaches or scenery just like Benson did, but nothing in his profile or production to date suggests he'll be able to do the things that guys like Martin, Rice, Lynch, Foster, and Forte have done for their teams. I've really said all I want to say on that topic. I'd be more interested in hearing arguments as to why Martin shouldn't be a top 3 dynasty RB, as the more I look at the production and profile, the more I realize that there's almost no one who has a clear and obvious case for being valued higher.

I've really said all I want to say on that topic. I'd be more interested in hearing arguments as to why Martin shouldn't be a top 3 dynasty RB, as the more I look at the production and profile, the more I realize that there's almost no one who has a clear and obvious case for being valued higher.
I wouldn't argue against that. But I think that says more about the current collection of RBs than about Martin. He's not what Peterson was 3-4 years ago, or what Foster was 2 years ago. In my opinion, he's not even what McCoy was coming into this year. A lof great backs are getting older, and as they go, teams are implying a RBBC more and more often. He'll be 24 next month, which is still plenty young, but not young enough to value him over guys like Spiller, Charles and Rice, just due to age. Assuming you think the 3 mentioned are better talents, I don't think 1-2 years should cause you to bet against that.

Still, saying he'd be doing what Martin is doing in Tampa if he were there just doesn't ring true. Ingram's nowhere near the asset in the pass game...
Based on what? It was one of Ingram's biggest strengths coming out of college. Just because he hasn't been given the opportunity, doesn't mean he isn't capable.
... and isn't a daylight runner. Martin churns out the tough yardage and can take it home if he has a hole...
Ingram's a yardage churner too but he won't breakaway in the open field which is why New Orleans doesn't use him in that role.
What role? The break-away role? You 50 yard runs are in the playbook?
Strongly disagree with point #1.Never said Martin was Spiller, Charles, or Johnson. Been comparing him to an unproven Ray Rice for about a year.How many home runs has Ingram hit in the NFL? Martin doesn't have a 5th gear, but he has a 4th. I'm not sure Ingram has a 4th. He is very good at what he does, run between the tackles, but his 50+ yard runs are going to be infrequent even when he breaks through the front 8 and jukes the safety. I think the corner on the opposite side can catch him, as can LB's chasing the play.

If you watch a Saints game its pretty apparent the Saints are going to run when Ingram enters the game.
Ingram is going to be much better next year for exactly this reason, Saints offense has been way too predictable, the run vs. pass %'s when each back is on the field is ridiculous.

His ceiling is top 10, not going top 5 but really can't dismiss it either. Physical ability is there and he is translating his game very, very quickly...especially for a guy who was out of football last year.

If you watch a Saints game its pretty apparent the Saints are going to run when Ingram enters the game.
Ingram is going to be much better next year for exactly this reason, Saints offense has been way too predictable, the run vs. pass %'s when each back is on the field is ridiculous.
Was true the 1st half of the season. Last 5-6 games its been much better. Problem with Ingram is he needs 300 carries to be fantasy relevant. Hes not used much in the passing game and the Saints throw near the goalline. Hes not going to bust any long tds. Dont see any of that changing. He is what he is imo, a 4 ypc back with half a dozen tds and a handful of catches.

Was true the 1st half of the season. Last 5-6 games its been much better. Problem with Ingram is he needs 300 carries to be fantasy relevant. Hes not used much in the passing game and the Saints throw near the goalline. Hes not going to bust any long tds. Dont see any of that changing. He is what he is imo, a 4 ypc back with half a dozen tds and a handful of catches.
Expect him to be used more in the passing game next year to keep teams off balance. Expect him to be the goal line guy and do both pass and run plays. Again, keep teams off balance. I think Payton had a plan, but Bounty Gate screwed up his offseason planning.

He'll be 24 next month, which is still plenty young, but not young enough to value him over guys like Spiller, Charles and Rice, just due to age. Assuming you think the 3 mentioned are better talents, I don't think 1-2 years should cause you to bet against that.
I don't think Martin is any less talented than Foster. Probably the reverse, actually. I rate Martin over Rice from a dynasty standpoint. Two years younger and has about three years less of NFL mileage. Rice is probably the better overall player, but the margin is thin and Martin is already scoring on par with him as a rookie. Charles and Spiller have a flashier game than Martin, but neither has the bulk of a conventional three down back. I think those guys are exciting talents, but I'd like to see them have a complete season as a workhorse before I rank them as top 5 dynasty RBs. I wouldn't want to take a guy like that top 10 and then be stuck with a time share or injury. McCoy has negatives as well. Bryce Brown is nipping at his heels and he's facing a possible coaching change. If Andy Reid takes that system with him then maybe some of the numbers dry up. I don't think McCoy is objectively a better back than Martin. More elusive. More dangerous in space. Not as powerful. Peterson is for sure a better talent than Martin, but he's a strong sell for me after this season. This is his "Moss in New England" year where his insane production will cause people to overlook how old and spent he is. He's on the downslope of his career, hard as that might be to fathom given his awesome season. So if you're looking for a steady #1 RB for your team for the next 3-4 years, I'm not sure there's a better bet than Martin. I see the Seattle version of Lynch as a pretty reasonable estimate of his floor. He might not have the ceiling of a Faulk/LT/Peterson level player, but he should be a rock in the lineup for years the same way that Rice and Forte have been.

I don't think this is wrong, but I am happy betting on talent to eventually lead to a better situation. I would hope that starts next year by by getting 12-15 carries a game. Since starting, he has gotten roughly touches total a game this year. If he the Saints would commit to the run more, and he could cut into Thomas' touches, he'd be more involved through the passing game. 15 carries (4.5), 2 receptions (7.0) could formulate out to 81 yards a game. Add 8 TDs on the season and we have a respectable RB2. I don't know how likely it is too happen, but I don't think it's too drastic either. I think it is roughly what they envisioned when they drafted him. I won't deny his situation sucks, but that's why his cost is so low. He is younger than Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, and a few others from this rookie class. Having to wait 2 years would suck, but I think it could pay off.

I don't think this is wrong, but I am happy betting on talent to eventually lead to a better situation. I would hope that starts next year by by getting 12-15 carries a game. Since starting, he has gotten roughly touches total a game this year. If he the Saints would commit to the run more, and he could cut into Thomas' touches, he'd be more involved through the passing game. 15 carries (4.5), 2 receptions (7.0) could formulate out to 81 yards a game. Add 8 TDs on the season and we have a respectable RB2. I don't know how likely it is too happen, but I don't think it's too drastic either. I think it is roughly what they envisioned when they drafted him. I won't deny his situation sucks, but that's why his cost is so low. He is younger than Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, and a few others from this rookie class. Having to wait 2 years would suck, but I think it could pay off.
Without big plays I don't see any way he gets to 4.5 ypc for a season at 12-15 carries a game. His 6 game run here has been against some pretty poor run defenses. Only good one was SF and they crushed him. Don't see why the Saints would use him much in the passing game, hes just not explosive enough. There are 10 better receiving options on that team. Unless its a panicked dumpoff why give it to him?

I don't think Martin is any less talented than Foster. Probably the reverse, actually. I rate Martin over Rice from a dynasty standpoint. Two years younger and has about three years less of NFL mileage. Rice is probably the better overall player, but the margin is thin and Martin is already scoring on par with him as a rookie. Charles and Spiller have a flashier game than Martin, but neither has the bulk of a conventional three down back. I think those guys are exciting talents, but I'd like to see them have a complete season as a workhorse before I rank them as top 5 dynasty RBs. I wouldn't want to take a guy like that top 10 and then be stuck with a time share or injury. McCoy has negatives as well. Bryce Brown is nipping at his heels and he's facing a possible coaching change. If Andy Reid takes that system with him then maybe some of the numbers dry up. I don't think McCoy is objectively a better back than Martin. More elusive. More dangerous in space. Not as powerful. Peterson is for sure a better talent than Martin, but he's a strong sell for me after this season. This is his "Moss in New England" year where his insane production will cause people to overlook how old and spent he is. He's on the downslope of his career, hard as that might be to fathom given his awesome season. So if you're looking for a steady #1 RB for your team for the next 3-4 years, I'm not sure there's a better bet than Martin. I see the Seattle version of Lynch as a pretty reasonable estimate of his floor. He might not have the ceiling of a Faulk/LT/Peterson level player, but he should be a rock in the lineup for years the same way that Rice and Forte have been.
I think Foster is an elite talent and a better NFL RB than Martin, but I respect your call. Charles is finishing a workhorse season as we speak. In even a neutral situation, I think he is a top 2 dynasty back right now. He is a very special football player in my opinion. I understand that McCoy has concerns, but, again, I'll be on what I view as elite talent. He is still only about 6 months older than Martin, IIRC. Again, I don't question your claim that he is a top dynasty option. I just think it is becuase guys like Rice, MJD, Foster, Peterson - truly elite players - are getting older and those following them aren't used as 3 down backs.

Without big plays I don't see any way he gets to 4.5 ypc for a season at 12-15 carries a game. His 6 game run here has been against some pretty poor run defenses. Only good one was SF and they crushed him. Don't see why the Saints would use him much in the passing game, hes just not explosive enough. There are 10 better receiving options on that team. Unless its a panicked dumpoff why give it to him?
Only 7 carries came against the Eagles. The only other bad run defense is Oakland.He has been breaking runs. He has runs of 27,23, and 19 in 6 games. The reason you give it to him is balance. It's not that they target him, just that he'll be going out on routes. If they threaten to run more often, Ingram will be in the lineup more often, thus, more routes. Let's not forget Ingram is a good receiving RB.

Only 7 carries came against the Eagles. The only other bad run defense is Oakland.He has been breaking runs. He has runs of 27,23, and 19 in 6 games. The reason you give it to him is balance. It's not that they target him, just that he'll be going out on routes. If they threaten to run more often, Ingram will be in the lineup more often, thus, more routes. Let's not forget Ingram is a good receiving RB.
Giants are 29th in ypc and Falcons are 31st. I haven't see any receiving ability at the nfl level. Just no explosion there, everything is methodical. Against good defenses with little room to run he will have a lot of 10 for 27 lines. You need big plays on a regular basis to bring that up to 4.5 ypc.

Giants are 29th in ypc and Falcons are 31st. I haven't see any receiving ability at the nfl level. Just no explosion there, everything is methodical. Against good defenses with little room to run he will have a lot of 10 for 27 lines. You need big plays on a regular basis to bring that up to 4.5 ypc.
How could have seen receiving ability at this level? Honest question? Do you see him dropping balls or running poor routes? Why would he be able to catch and run routes in college, but not the NFL? The reason you haven't seen it is because he hasn't been given the opportunity. This is the only healthy, starting Mark Ingram we have seen in the NFL; 6 games. I am not saying to ignore his rookie season, but put it in context. Are we really ready to call a kid who graded out as a first round talent a bust after 250 carries, many of which came in short yardage situations, and many while he was playing with turf toe and knee issues?And if we are going to filter Ingram's stats to good defenses, I think we should be fair. Doug Martin would start looking a lot like Mark Ingram, rushing average wise, without the big games against poor competition.

How could have seen receiving ability at this level? Honest question? Do you see him dropping balls or running poor routes? Why would he be able to catch and run routes in college, but not the NFL? The reason you haven't seen it is because he hasn't been given the opportunity. This is the only healthy, starting Mark Ingram we have seen in the NFL; 6 games. I am not saying to ignore his rookie season, but put it in context. Are we really ready to call a kid who graded out as a first round talent a bust after 250 carries, many of which came in short yardage situations, and many while he was playing with turf toe and knee issues?And if we are going to filter Ingram's stats to good defenses, I think we should be fair. Doug Martin would start looking a lot like Mark Ingram, rushing average wise, without the big games against poor competition.
I'm not filtering anything, I'm just saying part of the reason hes looked decent the last 5 games is that hes faced some of the worst run defenses in the nfl. Hes had some huge holes. Want to see how he does against the bucs Sunday. As far as receiving, I guess I could turn it around and ask what you've seen that makes you think hell be a good receiving option capable of 32 catches in a season. College vs pros, obviously the pro game is faster, players catch up to him quicker and hes not padding his stats against Appalachian State. Limited action, he had 4 yards per catch last season and the same this year. Obviously a small sample size. But like I said I haven't seen anything yet and were almost done with 2 years. Don't think many teams had a 1st round grade on him either. He looks like a replacement level player to me. No better than the other guys on his team. If it weren't for his college pedigree he'd be Chris Ivory but less explosive.

Peterson is for sure a better talent than Martin, but he's a strong sell for me after this season. This is his "Moss in New England" year where his insane production will cause people to overlook how old and spent he is. He's on the downslope of his career, hard as that might be to fathom given his awesome season.
Peterson is neither old nor spent. He's 27 dude, and on the "maybe the best RB ever" career path a la Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Jim Brown. He's very unlikely to suddenly hit the wall at 29 or 30. The Vikings are also a game-managing QB away from having a really good football team, which could move him from guaranteed top 5 RB to likely slam-dunk #1 overall player.If by "strong sell" you mean get another player on your top 11 - AJ Green or someone else who DEFINITELY has more shelf life - then sure. Anything less and you're definitely a sucker.

Peterson is for sure a better talent than Martin, but he's a strong sell for me after this season. This is his "Moss in New England" year where his insane production will cause people to overlook how old and spent he is. He's on the downslope of his career, hard as that might be to fathom given his awesome season.
Peterson is neither old nor spent. He's 27 dude, and on the "maybe the best RB ever" career path a la Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Jim Brown. He's very unlikely to suddenly hit the wall at 29 or 30. The Vikings are also a game-managing QB away from having a really good football team, which could move him from guaranteed top 5 RB to likely slam-dunk #1 overall player.If by "strong sell" you mean get another player on your top 11 - AJ Green or someone else who DEFINITELY has more shelf life - then sure. Anything less and you're definitely a sucker.
Season's almost over. He's 28 in a few months. Tons of mileage. He has more career carries than Michael Turner, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Cedric Benson. He's about half a season shy of Frank Gore. I'd guess that he has 1.5 years of top performance left. You'd have to decide for yourself if that's worth the cost. I think he's likely to go in the top 15 of most startups given his name recognition, past production, and 2012 stats. I wouldn't want to pay that price. I know he's probably the most talented RB of his generation, but raw ability didn't help Moss and Tomlinson a lot once their physical gifts started to go. Peterson's situation reminds me a lot of when Moss had that monster year in New England. He was still ranked as a top 5 dynasty WR even though he was clearly approaching his sell-on date. All it took was one mediocre year for his value to plummet about 15-20 spots. That's the risk when you bank on an old guy. And yes, Peterson is very old by RB standards. The guy is a demon, so maybe he can age like Steven Jackson and Ricky Williams. I wouldn't put it past him, but if I could get a younger player with a similar ppg outlook then I'd take him. Some of the lists I've seen on here have Peterson ranked as a top 5 dynasty back and I'd have a tough time getting on board at that kind of valuation.

Mendenhall will probably be a free agent until at least August, just like most mediocre veteran former starting running backs. He could get a last minute call like Benson, never know, but if you're hanging onto him now you need to recognize that's the most likely scenario. Teams are going to throw darts at younger, more cost efficient options in the draft if they're looking for RB's - not eat into cap space with an average talent like Mendenhall. When the available options on the team show they're not up to task or injuries beset then he will get a call.

Michael Turner falls into this category too, I'd throw the dart at Mendenhall first fwiw, and I think NFL teams will too.
Couldn't disagree more with this.

I am leaning towards riding ADP until the wheels fall off unless I get an offer of another true tier 1 guy. I tend to think his demonstrated freakish healing ability may stave off age related decline due to the body breaking down for a few extra years. The numbers certainly aren't in his favor and father time always wins eventually but he seems to truly be exceptional in that area (as well as others)

He'll be 24 next month, which is still plenty young, but not young enough to value him over guys like Spiller, Charles and Rice, just due to age. Assuming you think the 3 mentioned are better talents, I don't think 1-2 years should cause you to bet against that.
I don't think Martin is any less talented than Foster. Probably the reverse, actually. I rate Martin over Rice from a dynasty standpoint. Two years younger and has about three years less of NFL mileage. Rice is probably the better overall player, but the margin is thin and Martin is already scoring on par with him as a rookie.

Charles and Spiller have a flashier game than Martin, but neither has the bulk of a conventional three down back. I think those guys are exciting talents, but I'd like to see them have a complete season as a workhorse before I rank them as top 5 dynasty RBs. I wouldn't want to take a guy like that top 10 and then be stuck with a time share or injury.

McCoy has negatives as well. Bryce Brown is nipping at his heels and he's facing a possible coaching change. If Andy Reid takes that system with him then maybe some of the numbers dry up. I don't think McCoy is objectively a better back than Martin. More elusive. More dangerous in space. Not as powerful.

So if you're looking for a steady #1 RB for your team for the next 3-4 years, I'm not sure there's a better bet than Martin. I see the Seattle version of Lynch as a pretty reasonable estimate of his floor. He might not have the ceiling of a Faulk/LT/Peterson level player, but he should be a rock in the lineup for years the same way that Rice and Forte have been.
You keep mentioning this- Charles doesn't have the "bulk of a conventional three down back". Hogwash and poppycock. Charles plays for the worst team in the league, his coaches have admitted that they had no idea how few carries they were giving him at times, and he still ranks 8th in the league in carries. He's on pace for 300. Trent "bulk of a conventional three down back" Richardson has a whopping seven carries more than Charles. You need to give up the ghost, here. Maybe in your grandma's NFL, guys who look like Charles don't get huge workloads, but this isn't Granny's NFL. Highly drafted, first team AP All Pros like Peterson, Chris Johnson, and yes, Jamaal Charles actually get stereotypical, prototypical three-down RB workloads now. You better get on the Spiller train while you have the chance, too, because despite your antiquated biases, he's hopping on the 300 touch train starting next season, too. Choo choo!

You keep mentioning this- Charles doesn't have the "bulk of a conventional three down back". Hogwash and poppycock. Charles plays for the worst team in the league, his coaches have admitted that they had no idea how few carries they were giving him at times, and he still ranks 8th in the league in carries. He's on pace for 300. Trent "bulk of a conventional three down back" Richardson has a whopping seven carries more than Charles. You need to give up the ghost, here. Maybe in your grandma's NFL, guys who look like Charles don't get huge workloads, but this isn't Granny's NFL. Highly drafted, first team AP All Pros like Peterson, Chris Johnson, and yes, Jamaal Charles actually get stereotypical, prototypical three-down RB workloads now. You better get on the Spiller train while you have the chance, too, because despite your antiquated biases, he's hopping on the 300 touch train starting next season, too. Choo choo!
Five years into his career Charles hasn't even come close to the 300 carry barrier. I would draft players like him and Spiller because they have dynamic big play skills, but not because I ever expect them to log insane volume. The fact that guys like Richardson and Martin are putting up touch numbers that would be career highs for guys like Charles and Spiller as rookies kind of illustrates why, all else being equal, I favor that kind of back. 9 of the top 10 NFL leaders in rushing attempts are right in that 215-230 pound sweet spot.

Five years into his career Charles hasn't even come close to the 300 carry barrier. I would draft players like him and Spiller because they have dynamic big play skills, but not because I ever expect them to log insane volume. The fact that guys like Richardson and Martin are putting up touch numbers that would be career highs for guys like Charles and Spiller as rookies kind of illustrates why, all else being equal, I favor that kind of back. 9 of the top 10 NFL leaders in rushing attempts are right in that 215-230 pound sweet spot.
:penalty:Charles gets a mulligan for year 1. He was drafted to sit behind Larry Johnson, and as a rookie, that's what he did. He also gets a mulligan for year 4, because he tore his ACL, and you have yet to demonstrate any link between size and torn ACLs, making it a non-predictive event (Jamaal Lewis, Terrell Davis, Rashard Mendenhall- way more ideal backs shred their ligaments than small backs). That leaves us with three seasons. Carry totals? 190, 230, 295 (pro-rated). Total touches? 230, 275, 332 (pro-rated). Why, what do we have here? It looks to me like we have a bona-fide workhorse back! He wasn't one from day 1, but neither were ideal backs like MJD, Rice, Priest Holmes, Stephen Jackson, Jonathan Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall, etc, etc, etc. Or, for that matter, neither were non-ideal backs like Chris Johnson, Brian Westbrook, Warrick Dunn, etc, etc, etc. Doesn't change the fact that he's been trending towards workhorse status for his entire career, and now he's finally reached it, and anyone with eyes could have seen it coming from miles away if they weren't so hung up on their own biases and preconceived notions about ideal body types for workhorse RBs. Face it, you were sleeping on Charles's ability to handle a heavy workload, just like you slept on Chris Johnson's, and just like you're sleeping on Spiller's.Fun fact! Jamaal Charles has essentially as many touches per game over the last four years (17.22) as your pet favorite "ideally sized" mediocrity, Rashard Mendenhall (18.08). All this hue and cry you keep raising about how Mendenhall is a proven workhorse with multiple consecutive workhorse seasons and is an ideal size and that's the kind of guy you like to bet on, while Charles is this undersized, sub-ideal CoP back who will never get a real workload and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves... yeah, all that drama is over what essentially amounts to less than 14 touches per 16 games. If that's what "ideal size" is worth- 14 extra touches a year- then ideal size isn't worth wasting bandwidth debating over. Increasing yards per touch by just a single tenth will have more than double the impact of increasing total touches by just 14 a year.

You keep mentioning this- Charles doesn't have the "bulk of a conventional three down back". Hogwash and poppycock. Charles plays for the worst team in the league, his coaches have admitted that they had no idea how few carries they were giving him at times, and he still ranks 8th in the league in carries. He's on pace for 300. Trent "bulk of a conventional three down back" Richardson has a whopping seven carries more than Charles. You need to give up the ghost, here. Maybe in your grandma's NFL, guys who look like Charles don't get huge workloads, but this isn't Granny's NFL. Highly drafted, first team AP All Pros like Peterson, Chris Johnson, and yes, Jamaal Charles actually get stereotypical, prototypical three-down RB workloads now.

You better get on the Spiller train while you have the chance, too, because despite your antiquated biases, he's hopping on the 300 touch train starting next season, too. Choo choo!
:penalty: Charles gets a mulligan for year 1. He was drafted to sit behind Larry Johnson, and as a rookie, that's what he did. He also gets a mulligan for year 4, because he tore his ACL, and you have yet to demonstrate any link between size and torn ACLs, making it a non-predictive event (Jamaal Lewis, Terrell Davis, Rashard Mendenhall- way more ideal backs shred their ligaments than small backs). That leaves us with three seasons. Carry totals? 190, 230, 295 (pro-rated). Total touches? 230, 275, 332 (pro-rated). Why, what do we have here? It looks to me like we have a bona-fide workhorse back! He wasn't one from day 1, but neither were ideal backs like MJD, Rice, Priest Holmes, Stephen Jackson, Jonathan Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall, etc, etc, etc. Or, for that matter, neither were non-ideal backs like Chris Johnson, Brian Westbrook, Warrick Dunn, etc, etc, etc. Doesn't change the fact that he's been trending towards workhorse status for his entire career, and now he's finally reached it, and anyone with eyes could have seen it coming from miles away if they weren't so hung up on their own biases and preconceived notions about ideal body types for workhorse RBs. Face it, you were sleeping on Charles's ability to handle a heavy workload, just like you slept on Chris Johnson's, and just like you're sleeping on Spiller's.

Fun fact! Jamaal Charles has essentially as many touches per game over the last four years (17.22) as your pet favorite "ideally sized" mediocrity, Rashard Mendenhall (18.08). All this hue and cry you keep raising about how Mendenhall is a proven workhorse with multiple consecutive workhorse seasons and is an ideal size and that's the kind of guy you like to bet on, while Charles is this undersized, sub-ideal CoP back who will never get a real workload and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves... yeah, all that drama is over what essentially amounts to less than 14 touches per 16 games. If that's what "ideal size" is worth- 14 extra touches a year- then ideal size isn't worth wasting bandwidth debating over. Increasing yards per touch by just a single tenth will have more than double the impact of increasing total touches by just 14 a year.
If you look around the NFL, the RBs with the most touches are almost always 215-230 pound guys with compact frames and good power. It was true ten years ago and it's true now. As I mentioned in my previous post, 9 of the top 10 RBs in carries right now are cut from this cloth. The same holds true over a larger sample size. I just opened the NFL career rushing leaders in a different tab. Here are the leaders in carries of the players who are active or recently retired:LaDainian Tomlinson - 3174

Thomas Jones - 2678

Ricky Williams - 2431

Steven Jackson - 2352

Willis McGahee - 1957

Frank Gore - 1864

Adrian Peterson - 1671

Michael Turner - 1604

Cedric Benson - 1600

Maurice Jones-Drew - 1570

Larry Johnson - 1427

Chris Johnson - 1410

Marshawn Lynch - 1398

As you can see, the list is dominated by 215-230 pound backs with strong frames. The job duties of being a long term featured back in the NFL clearly select for this type of physique. Chris Johnson is the only small back in the top 15 and he's years away from reaching Ricky/LT levels.

I think it's clear that atypical backs can offer tremendous value in FF and the NFL, but historically they don't last long enough or get enough opportunities to log the kind of volume needed for a HoF type of career. That's not bias or myopia or whatever you want to call it. That's just a fact. You can talk a lot about what guys like Charles and Spiller are capable of, but neither of those players even registers on the Richter scale in terms of career touches at this point. Meanwhile guys like Turner, Gore, McGahee, Lynch, and Jackson just keep churning out carries.

It's not a coincidence that Doug Martin and Trent Richardson are almost the exact same height and weight, that both of them fit the ideal range to a T, and that both of them have been able to step in and immediately log more carries in their first season than guys like McFadden, Charles, or Spiller will ever have in the busiest year of their career. It's also not a coincidence that modestly talented 220 pounders like Morris, Ridley, BJGE, and Greene are churning out yards. At a basic level, 5'10" 220 pounds is what a pro RB looks like. It is the archetype. Minor riffs and variations can also be successful, but in the long run this very specific type of player dominates.

The NFL is brutally violent and RB is probably one of the most taxing positions on the field. It takes a certain type of physique and skill set to survive the gauntlet of playing this position over an extended sample size. If people are still resistant to this idea then I'd simply point them to the NFL leaderboard in carries. The argument begins and ends there. Whether you're talking about this season or the all-time rankings, the leaderboard will be dominated by backs that fall within a fairly narrow range of body types. All of the proof is right there.

That's not to say that guys like Charles or Spiller can't do it over a small sample size. They can, do, and will. But one season is not a career. Darren McFadden is probably the least ideal RB plying his trade as a starter in the NFL right now, and even with all of his flaws he still managed 223 carries one season. You can mash a square peg into a round hole for quite a while before it breaks on you. But it will break eventually. A guy like Spiller is an electric talent, but I don't see him ever being a consistent volume guy from year to year. Even his own coaches have limited his volume. He has one 20+ carry game in his entire NFL career. Doug Martin has seven this season. Trent Richardson has five.

Again, it's all there in the numbers. Determinism in general is something that bothers a lot of people and I think a lot of people take exception to the idea that a player's physique limits how he can be used, but recent history paints a pretty clear picture. As I've often said in the past, function follows form. The functions required to play RB in the NFL over an extended period of time clearly select for a narrow range of body types. If being aware of this makes one ignorant, then I'm guilty as charged.

Users who are viewing this thread