What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (6 Viewers)

Ebron's situation really reminds me of Eiffert last year. (1) Consensus #1 TE, (2) drafted on pass-happy team, (3) with an entrenched starter at TE already. Yes Pettigrew is underwhelming, but so is Gresham. And yes the target order is fairly wide open, but so was Cinci.

Given the general forecast for rookie TEs, I would expect a devaluation in the short term on Ebron when he doesn't blow up as a rook sharing targets with Tate, Pettigrew, Bush, and even Fauria. If you plan to draft and hold him long term, no problem. But it may be that he can be acquired more cheaply in the future (as per Eiffert).
It's worth noting that Stafford has 250 more pass attempts than Dalton over the last two years. Even if they're both "pass happy" offenses it's not to the same extent.
Also worth noting that Stafford set the record for attempts at 727 in 2012, so that's certainly an outlier. More realistically, Stafford will be around 600-650 and Dalton will be at or under 600. Point taken, but it isn't that extreme a difference if you ignore 2012. Also worth noting the Lions have a new coach.

Kind of surprised how high everyone has Ebron to be honest.
Pretty rare for a TE to be picked that high by the NFL, and Detroit throws like 50 times a game. He's been mid 1st in TE req, high 1st in TE premium from what I've seen -- IMO that's about right. Anything in particular you're not liking with him?
Since 1996 (multiple endpoints ahoy!), the only TEs taken in the top half of the first round are Ebron, Vernon Davis, KWII, Shockey, Franks, and Gonzo. That's not a shabby list at all- Gonzo gave 846 points of VBD for his career, Davis is at 200 and counting, Shockey topped 150 VBD (and would be well over 200 on a per-game basis), and Winslow topped 100 VBD (more in PPR, where he was a poor man's Jason Witten) despite playing his entire career at 85% after several injuries he never fully recovered from. By far the worst was Bubba Franks, and even he was a serviceable fantasy player for a while.

It's rare for TEs to go in the top half of the first round, and the ones that do make it have a pretty strong success rate. Positional value is important and cannot be disregarded, but the case for Ebron is easy to make.
If you just went back one more year we could have included Kyle Brady
Yup. Hence the "multiple endpoints" warning.

Also, forgot to include Rickey Dudley in the list. He was drafted 9th overall in 1996, and finished with 129 career VBD.
As a Jets fan, I'm just busting on the Brady pick.

I think he's going about where he should go in my drafts. Usually between 3-6.

As others mentioned, it's pretty special for a TE to get picked in the top 10. More rare than finding a top 5 WR (Watkins), a top 5 QB (Bortles), or a top 10 WR (Evans). There's a decent argument that, relative to his position, Ebron is the best skill prospect in this draft. Vernon Davis is the only other TE to go that high in the past decade (Winslow also went top 10 in 2004). Meanwhile we've seen numerous top 10 QBs and WRs in the same time period. It's a pretty good bet that there will be 1-2 more of those next year whereas we might not see another top 10 TE for 5+ years (though I guess OJ Howard might make a case for himself over the next 2 years).

Point being, he's a pretty elite TE prospect. That's one major variable. There are a few other things that factor into the decision. Watkins and Evans both fit the generic mold of an elite FF WR1 since they both have good size, but Beckham and Cooks do not. There basically aren't any elite NFL WRs in the NFL with their dimensions. I guess you could argue Percy Harvin and Steve Smith. If you look at the best WRs of the past 5-10 years, the list is dominated by big and strong targets (Fitz, Andre, Calvin, Dez, Demaryius, Marshall, VJax, Roddy, Julio, Gordon?, Jeffery?). Strength seems to be a big contributing factor to elite level success. When you take that away, the player in question now has one less way that he can win against defensive backs. So I think there's a legitimate question of whether or not Beckham and Cooks are serious candidates for eventual top 10 dynasty WR status. I think Beckham is a high floor, low ceiling guy who's a near 100% bet to become a solid FF WR2-WR3 and nothing more. Cooks seems to have more upside because his speed/suddenness are at a more elite level and because he's in such a friendly system, but he's a 5'9" squirt who could easily underwhelm like Tavon Austin (who may yet become great but didn't really dominate on offense as a rookie). Add it all up and it makes sense for Watkins and Evans to go ahead of Ebron in every standard PPR league (which they have), but it also makes sense to question whether or not Cooks and Beckham deserve the same. I think they're less likely to become elite at their position, though there's a good argument in a lot of formats that a mid level WR2 is worth more than a mere mortal (i.e. not Jimmy Graham or Tony Gonzalez) TE1.

The RBs don't really change the equation much because there aren't any elite RB prospects in this draft and the 2nd-3rd round guys aren't obvious favorites to start on day one besides Sankey and possibly Mason. So not only are these guys mediocre talents like most of last year's crew, but they won't benefit from the favorable situations that helped boost Zac Stacy, Bishop Sankey, Gio Bernard, and Eddie Lacy into day 1 relevance.

I personally have Ebron ranked as the #3 rookie in this class for a typical PPR league with no TE premium. It's definitely a questionable pick from an upside standpoint because we know that a good WR or RB will usually hold more functional and market value than an equivalent (or even better) TE. At the same time, I don't think Beckham profiles as an elite FF asset and I don't quite like Cooks enough to take him that high (though I think he has a good case for going #3). There's also the issue of scarcity. Why take a future FF WR2-WR3 in the top 5 of the rookie draft when this WR class is so deep with guys who seem to have a good chance at that type of career (i.e. Latimer, Robinson, Adams, etc)? Sankey would be a consideration if I believed in his talent. I think he's a good pick for short-sighted owners looking to turn a quick profit and/or flip their pick quickly, but he's a pedestrian prospect and there will be several guys of his ability entering the league every year. So for me he's not an exciting choice in the top 5. I could see a good argument for Ebron dropping down to 4 or 5, but anything beyond that seems questionable to me. If you're looking for players who have the chance to become true standouts and not just solid complementary pieces, I think he's one of the more high-certainty picks available.

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL WR2/3 production is higher than it's ever been.
Okay, I understand what you're talking about now. I did a regression on fantasy WR1/2/3/4/5/6 from 2006-2013 and found fantasy WR4-6 are increasing faster than WR1-3 (which echoes what you said about NFL WR2/3 production). However, fantasy WR1 are increasing slightly faster than fantasy WR3. It's okay for my general strategy if WR4-6 catch up to WR3 (the plateau is bigger, as I said earlier) as long as WR1 gap is solid. It is possible WR3 are catching up to WR2 (it didn't show last year, but prior WR2 production is pretty flat). FWIW, the linear regression slopes for WR1-WR6 PPG in PPR were .157, .117, .152, .223, .279, and .317.

Okay, I understand what you're talking about now. I did a regression on fantasy WR1/2/3/4/5/6 from 2006-2013 and found fantasy WR4-6 are increasing faster than WR1-3 (which echoes what you said about NFL WR2/3 production). However, fantasy WR1 are increasing slightly faster than fantasy WR3. It's okay for my general strategy if WR4-6 catch up to WR3 (the plateau is bigger, as I said earlier) as long as WR1 gap is solid. It is possible WR3 are catching up to WR2 (it didn't show last year, but prior WR2 production is pretty flat). FWIW, the linear regression slopes for WR1-WR6 PPG in PPR were .157, .117, .152, .223, .279, and .317.
But who are the players? Garcon, Brown, D. Jackson, Allen, Jeffrey, Gordon, Decker, Welker--these guys greatly outproduced their beggining of season dynasty values. Even beyond the numbers(FP)--the dynasty value at the WR spot is being flooded. Nobody who owns Brown or Garcon feels like they have a staple at their WR1 spot, despite getting WR1 value last season. Those who own Crabtree, Nelson, Cruz, Harvin, Cobb, and Fitz (among others) feel their guys have more than a puncher's chance to match the production of Brown and Garcon next season.

13/14 stats show gaps that don't exist in dynasty value, and likely won't exist in 14/15 stats, even.

Viewing each WR spot by their dynasty value (WR1/WR2/WR3)--the advantages are shriking, the tiers are growing, and the and the baseline is moving up. Fast.

So sure, the top 12 might outproduce the top 24 or 36 by the same rate as before, but if the players are shuffling more than before--if they are harder to project--the match simply doesn't match the dynasty value. The math is much less valuable to us, then.

So what's the take away from this? That dynasty WRs1/2 are now MORE valuable than before, or that they are less?

This is always the take away that I struggle with. If the pool of RBs is shrinking and the pool of WRs continues to expand, there's a certain logic that it hype-inflates the value of the handful of RB1s and devalues the borderline WR1/2 type guys. On the other hand, you're cutting against the grain of the real NFL if you have that takeaway.

So is it better to follow the trend in the league (e.g. no RB drafted in the first round, therefore don't draft your own RBs early be it in startup or rookie draft), or to value based on scarcity?

But who are the players? Garcon, Brown, D. Jackson, Allen, Jeffrey, Gordon, Decker, Welker--these guys greatly outproduced their beggining of season dynasty values. Even beyond the numbers(FP)--the dynasty value at the WR spot is being flooded. Nobody who owns Brown or Garcon feels like they have a staple at their WR1 spot, despite getting WR1 value last season. Those who own Crabtree, Nelson, Cruz, Harvin, Cobb, and Fitz (among others) feel their guys have more than a puncher's chance to match the production of Brown and Garcon next season.
Looking at PPG, 10 of the top 12 are guys you feel comfortable being WR1 year in year out baring substance abuse issues. Regardless of the crude methodology it captured all the heavy hitters in WR1. And pretty much year in/year out. I think we both agree if the market is flooded then guys like Brown and Garcon drop and that AJ/Calvin/AJ lineage will maintain their advantage.

So what's the take away from this? That dynasty WRs1/2 are now MORE valuable than before, or that they are less?
Somewhere around the 9th WR the curve flattens out. WR3s are catching up to WR2s, and WR4s and 5s are catching up to WR3s. Get as many elite WR as you can but after that it's a crapshoot.

This is always the take away that I struggle with. If the pool of RBs is shrinking and the pool of WRs continues to expand, there's a certain logic that it hype-inflates the value of the handful of RB1s and devalues the borderline WR1/2 type guys. On the other hand, you're cutting against the grain of the real NFL if you have that takeaway.
Same analysis on RB and it is across the board flat. RBBC is not making lots of RB valuable. It's still lonely at the top. Swing for the fences at all positions.

So is it better to follow the trend in the league (e.g. no RB drafted in the first round, therefore don't draft your own RBs early be it in startup or rookie draft), or to value based on scarcity?
The dynasty WR is less valuable because of the trend. Unfortunately, the dynasty RB is less talented than it has been in a long time, too. Hence the pickle.

I think the play is to "go big or go home" at WR, and play a numbers game where studs aren't an option.

Looking at PPG, 10 of the top 12 are guys you feel comfortable being WR1 year in year out baring substance abuse issues. Regardless of the crude methodology it captured all the heavy hitters in WR1. And pretty much year in/year out. I think we both agree if the market is flooded then guys like Brown and Garcon drop and that AJ/Calvin/AJ lineage will maintain their advantage.
The top guys will and should maintain their dynasty advantage. But they are hurt by a shrinking gap--in points and dynasty value. Just as Gronk and Graham will remain elite options who provide major advatage--their value is still affected by every Jordan Reed, Julius Thomas, and Jordan Cameron that comes along. Just as they got a boost when Hernandez was removed from the field.

But they are hurt by a shrinking gap--in points and dynasty value.
I guess we really do disagree then. I see elite WR maintaining their gap. Yes Keenan Allen is taken one round after Demaryius Thomas in a startup but that is not indicative of the cost difference. Elite WR are Menudo.

TE production is up across the board. 2013 is not that much different of a year than 2010 or 2008 other than the skew upward. 2011 is the outlier. Things haven't changed since 2011; it was just wrong to assume 2011 was the new normal.

thriftyrocker said:
I guess we really do disagree then. I see elite WR maintaining their gap. Yes Keenan Allen is taken one round after Demaryius Thomas in a startup but that is not indicative of the cost difference. Elite WR are Menudo.
I think we do disagree. I am not suggesting that there is no gap, just that it's shrinking.

thriftyrocker said:
TE production is up across the board. 2013 is not that much different of a year than 2010 or 2008 other than the skew upward. 2011 is the outlier. Things haven't changed since 2011; it was just wrong to assume 2011 was the new normal.
We're having two different conversations, I think. Fantasy points are a part of dynasty value, but not all of it. Witten and Gonzo are overly represented in those numbers, in relation to their dynasty value. Reed, Ebron, Green, Eifert, Ertz, and other are under represented.

thriftyrocker said:
We're having two different conversations, I think. Fantasy points are a part of dynasty value, but not all of it.
Your argument is that the size of the field leads to reduced dynasty value for elite players. My argument is that the field for TE is not changing. If the production of the field isn't adequate discussion for you contrast Wess's 2009 TE rankings from his blogspot (pre-once a millennia class) with the current status quo. There are always unproven prospects to tout. Eventually people learn Ertz or Zach Miller or Eifert or John Carlson or Rudolph or Scheffler are not elite and move on. If there is a change in the field it will be after people copy cat NE's 2 TE sets, but so far no one has been able to do that successfully; we'll see how Detroit does considering they have significant investment in both Pettigrew and Ebron. (Is NE even invested in that scheme at this point?) But this is all reading like boring minutiae and parsing at this point. Which is disappointing because I thought the actual trends were interesting.

Your argument is that the size of the field leads to reduced dynasty value for elite players. My argument is that the field for TE is not changing. If the production of the field isn't adequate discussion for you contrast Wess's 2009 TE rankings from his blogspot (pre-once a millennia class) with the current status quo. There are always unproven prospects to tout. Eventually people learn Ertz or Zach Miller or Eifert or John Carlson or Rudolph or Scheffler are not elite and move on. If there is a change in the field it will be after people copy cat NE's 2 TE sets, but so far no one has been able to do that successfully; we'll see how Detroit does considering they have significant investment in both Pettigrew and Ebron. (Is NE even invested in that scheme at this point?) But this is all reading like boring minutiae and parsing at this point. Which is disappointing because I thought the actual trends were interesting.
TE's are being used differently, above and beyond 2 TE sets; the production supports this; the prospects support this; the dynasty rankings support this. Perhaps the results don't match the pace of the claim you think I am making. Or, perhaps it's boring to you, as you suggested. But it's happening. If you wait for the numbers to catch up, you'll miss the train.

2013 51 players with 60+ receptions 3 RB 8 TE
2012 48 players with 60+ receptions 2 Rb 10 TE
2011 45 players with 60+ receptions 2 RB 10 TE
2010 43 players with 60+ receptions 3 RB 7 TE
2009 41 players had 60+ receptions 2 RB 10 TE
2008 40 players had 60+ receptions 2 RB 6 TE

TE's are being used differently, above and beyond 2 TE sets; the production supports this; the prospects support this; the dynasty rankings support this. Perhaps the results don't match the pace of the claim you think I am making. Or, perhaps it's boring to you, as you suggested. But it's happening. If you wait for the numbers to catch up, you'll miss the train.
I agree they are being used differently. But disagree about how much it matters because it is different across the board. Fantasy TE4s are guys getting 40 receptions a year (Housler, Pettigrew, Rivera, Eifert). Last decade they were half that. Production is increasing greatly, but uniformly. Bogus no name TEs are performing like Chris Cooley and Owen Daniels in their prime. All TE are performing higher. I think you are not believing my discussion of what the shape of the curve is because it is more fun to reply in the contrary to every sentence you read, which is why I feigned boredom or exhaustion. I don't see any reason to think there are more TEs worth monitoring or we should approach TEs differently, until/unless the shape of the curve changes, like it has for WR. It's bogus to look at Reed and Cameron and say it's a great era for TE or there's too many good TE or boy the value of elite TE has to go down. Last decade had plenty of great TE to offset Gates and Gonzalez and they produced at corresponding levels for their era. Is Reed a better prospect than Cooley? Is Ertz better than Celek? Is Thomas better than Scheffler? Names change, values change, but landscape stays the same.

Really struggling with sankey vs Evans at 2. I feel like sankey has a chance to be a 3 down back. I have read every evaluation on the internet. Is Evans special? Cannot get consensus on him. I could trade to 3 and get something. But if people think Evans has top 10 potential it would be crazy to deal...

Really struggling with sankey vs Evans at 2. I feel like sankey has a chance to be a 3 down back. I have read every evaluation on the internet. Is Evans special? Cannot get consensus on him. I could trade to 3 and get something. But if people think Evans has top 10 potential it would be crazy to deal...
I am not a big Evans fan but I'd take him over Sankey in a second.

I think he does have that potential. I could even see Evan's being the best player (in FF) from this draft class. I prefer Watkins in leagues where you get points for kick returns. But in leagues that don't Evan's has the highest TD potential as a receiver. I also think they have 2 quality developmental QBs on their roster, I like the overall situation in TB better than BUF.

At the same time Sankey will likely be a focal point of their offense right away, and that includes the passing game. So in the short term Sankey may be more likely to produce for your team than any of the WR will year 1. He has the potential to be a top 12 RB if he does well. The main concern for the Titans offense right now is their QBs. But if Sankey is involved a lot in the passing game I do not really see that being as a great a detriment to him as it is with Rb who are more reliant on a lead to get rushing attempts. Given position scarcity I think they are comparable prospects. The WR is the safer bet to give you good ROI longer is the main thing that would get me to draft Evans over Sankey. But team need could have me going either way.

Was thinking a bit about Harvin after some of the ruckus on the last page that he's "not a true WR1" because he's never had a 1,000 yard season. I think the responses based on his PPG numbers, his 1,300 yard 2011 season, his 2012 season where he averaged 75 yards/game receiving through 9 games, and his 16-game pace were pretty sufficient.

What didn't get mentioned was what he did on limited touches in 2013 (remember he actually played). These are his ONLY touches:

Regular season

1 reception for 17 yards, 1 kick return for 58 yards (1st game back, limited usage)

Post-season

3 catches, 21 yards and 1 rush for 9 yards (divisional round, 2nd game)

1 catch 5 yards, 1 rush 30 yards, 1 rush 15 yards, and 1 kick return for 87 yards and a TD (Superbowl, 3rd game)

That's averaging about 9 yards per reception (on 5 receptions), about 18 yards per rush (on 3 carries), and about 72 yards per kick return (on 2 returns). 242 all purpose yards on 10 touches. Very limited sample size, but pretty impressive. 12 yards per touch excluding the KRs on 8 touches (5 receptions, 3 carries).

He basically played about a quarter in the first game back, sat out the next several weeks, played 2-3 quarters against SF before the concussion, missed the next game, and played about a half in the Superbowl... about 5 quarters of playing time.

Golden Tate had about 900 yards on 64 receptions... I expect Percy to step into that roll and improve on it, and return to top 10 PPG numbers in PPR.

Harvin's limited usage also puts a big hole in the argument of those who suggested before last year that Seattle wouldn't use his rushing skills.

I said it at the time, but Pete Carroll tried like hell to sign Harvin out of high school knowing exactly what he was. Carroll used Reggie Bush very comparably to how Meyer used Harvin. Pete Carroll knows exactly what Harvin is capable of, and he knows how to use such a versatile weapon. I have a hard time imagining that he was so eager to acquire Harvin just to use him as a limited slot receiver. I have to think that Carroll had a lot more in mind, and Harvin's limited playing time during 2013 seems to confirm that. I believe in 2014 that we're going to see the full bag of tricks- including 200+ rushing yards, 1-2 rushing scores, and another 1+ scores on kickoff returns (for leagues that give points for those).

Harvin's limited usage also puts a big hole in the argument of those who suggested before last year that Seattle wouldn't use his rushing skills.

I said it at the time, but Pete Carroll tried like hell to sign Harvin out of high school knowing exactly what he was. Carroll used Reggie Bush very comparably to how Meyer used Harvin. Pete Carroll knows exactly what Harvin is capable of, and he knows how to use such a versatile weapon. I have a hard time imagining that he was so eager to acquire Harvin just to use him as a limited slot receiver. I have to think that Carroll had a lot more in mind, and Harvin's limited playing time during 2013 seems to confirm that.

I believe in 2014 that we're going to see the full bag of tricks- including 200+ rushing yards, 1-2 rushing scores, and another 1+ scores on kickoff returns (for leagues that give points for those).
Harvin is the Swiss Army knife of players - a coach isn't doing his job if he's not using him everywhere.

It's a pretty easy choice for me - Take Sankey and get a WR in the second round.....The NFL just received a large shipment of athletic WRs.... There are many to go around...

It's a pretty easy choice for me - Take Sankey and get a WR in the second round.....The NFL just received a large shipment of athletic WRs.... There are many to go around...
I beg to differ. I will take Evans in the top 2, Sankey is not even close. Unless you're playing in a redraft league, I am talking about dynasty here.

Talents always trump immediate situations, especially for RBs, today's NFL team rotate RB too fast for most of them to be valuable.

I just posted my Dynasty Rookie Ranking, it might help for your rookie draft!

I beg to differ. I will take Evans in the top 2, Sankey is not even close. Unless you're playing in a redraft league, I am talking about dynasty here.

Talents always trump immediate situations, especially for RBs, today's NFL team rotate RB too fast for most of them to be valuable.

I disagree. Evans is not a special player. I think you can pass on him, take the only RB who is going to be given a starting job in 2014, and get an equally good WR in the early second round. This WR class is deep but after Watkins, I think the WRs are amazingly comparable deep into the draft. I would be happy to have Sankey and Marquise Lee, Donte Moncrief, or Cody Latimer. That sounds better to me than Evans and West, Carey or Hill.

ffgiant I was just looking at your link where I see this-

We don't rank 50 rookies, we all know every years' draft produces less than a dozen players who are really fantasy relevant, which is why we only rank player who is likely to be in your starting lineup one day.
Could you please expand on how each draft produces less than 12 players who are really fantasy relevant?

I would be interested in the methodology behind that determination.

FWIW I currently have 40 rookie players from 2014 who I believe could become fantasy relevant.

Ebron's situation really reminds me of Eiffert last year. (1) Consensus #1 TE, (2) drafted on pass-happy team, (3) with an entrenched starter at TE already. Yes Pettigrew is underwhelming, but so is Gresham. And yes the target order is fairly wide open, but so was Cinci.

Given the general forecast for rookie TEs, I would expect a devaluation in the short term on Ebron when he doesn't blow up as a rook sharing targets with Tate, Pettigrew, Bush, and even Fauria. If you plan to draft and hold him long term, no problem. But it may be that he can be acquired more cheaply in the future (as per Eiffert).
Gresham is an underwhelming Pro Bowler?

We don't rank 50 rookies, we all know every years' draft produces less than a dozen players who are really fantasy relevant, which is why we only rank player who is likely to be in your starting lineup one day.
Could you please expand on how each draft produces less than 12 players who are really fantasy relevant?

FWIW I currently have 40 rookie players from 2014 who I believe could become fantasy relevant.
It's true that only about dozen players become fantasy relevant but it's hilarious that he only ranks 24 because he knows exactly which 12 they are. :lol:

Relevant is an incredibly subjective term. Some would say your typical WR3 is relevant because they are used in a lineup while others would say they aren't because there are more players putting up WR3 numbers than there are WR3 slots. Some would say roster worthy is relevant while others would say only difference makers are relevant.

IN the end, the word is useless on it's own

It's true that only about dozen players become fantasy relevant but it's hilarious that he only ranks 24 because he knows exactly which 12 they are. :lol:
Well, that's not my link, but I can understand where he's coming from. Let me put it this way: I don't know who my 20th ranked rookie RB is. Moreover, I don't care.

If a guy isn't good enough to be ranked in the top 5 QBs, 10 RBs, 15 WRs, and 5 TEs on my board in a given class then chances are that I can pretty much ignore him completely for FF purposes. It wouldn't be the worst strategy in the world to ignore every rookie drafted outside the first four rounds. You would miss the occasional Morris, Colston, Stacy, or Brady. You'd also avoid a whole lot of trash. The odds on the late picks are so bad that they're basically lottery tickets.

Realistically, I don't ignore those players completely. I have sort of a rough list in my head for a given class consisting of different groups:

- Elite prospects (usually 1st round NFL picks)

- Good prospects (usually 2nd-4th round NFL picks)

- Filler (everyone I don't like and almost all of the day 3/UDFA guys)

- Low probability flyers with intriguing upside (a handful of day 3/UDFA guys that I think actually have a chance to succeed)

There may only be 2-5 elite prospects in a given draft. Then maybe another 12-18 good prospects. Beyond that you're usually picking from longshots. With that being the case, I don't think there's a lot of value in spending a lot of time on anything outside the top 25-30 rookies in a draft. It's worthwhile to educate yourself about the day 3/UDFA guys just in case you see something that pops out at you, but I don't know that you need to bother ranking them when 95% of them are destined for total irrelevance. Find the few you like and don't worry about the rest. They don't matter.

Gresham is an underwhelming Pro Bowler?
So on how many teams do you have Gresham?

He's a solid real life TE with the ability to block and do some receiving, but like Pettigrew, he's not a spectacular receiver. 50% of his value IRL doesn't translate to fantasy. But they both figure to take a sizeable chunk of the (in-line) TE snaps for both teams, thus capping Eiffert and Ebron for 2014.

I said it at the time, but Pete Carroll tried like hell to sign Harvin out of high school knowing exactly what he was. Carroll used Reggie Bush very comparably to how Meyer used Harvin. Pete Carroll knows exactly what Harvin is capable of, and he knows how to use such a versatile weapon. I have a hard time imagining that he was so eager to acquire Harvin just to use him as a limited slot receiver. I have to think that Carroll had a lot more in mind, and Harvin's limited playing time during 2013 seems to confirm that.

I believe in 2014 that we're going to see the full bag of tricks- including 200+ rushing yards, 1-2 rushing scores, and another 1+ scores on kickoff returns (for leagues that give points for those).
Harvin is the Swiss Army knife of players - a coach isn't doing his job if he's not using him everywhere.
Right. It's like acquiring Mike Vick and telling him not to run. If you didn't want him to run, you shouldn't have gotten Vick, because that's what makes him who he is.

If Seattle didn't want everything Harvin brought to the table, then they shouldn't have acquired Percy Harvin. But, like I said, I get the feeling that Pete Carroll has been dreaming of what he could do with Percy Harvin ever since he was a senior in high school back in Virginia.

I disagree. Evans is not a special player. I think you can pass on him, take the only RB who is going to be given a starting job in 2014, and get an equally good WR in the early second round. This WR class is deep but after Watkins, I think the WRs are amazingly comparable deep into the draft. I would be happy to have Sankey and Marquise Lee, Donte Moncrief, or Cody Latimer. That sounds better to me than Evans and West, Carey or Hill.
Unspecial players do not typically become consensus top-10 picks in talent-rich drafts.

Unspecial players do not typically become consensus top-10 picks in talent-rich drafts.
It does happen though. Since 2000 these guys were all top 10 picks: Mike Williams, Roy Williams, DHB, Crabtree, Ginn, Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson (as a Vikings fan I will never forget this one as we let Moss go to get this bum), Reggie Williams, Charles Rogers, David Terrell, KRob, Peter Warrick, Travis Taylor. We could argue over a few of these--as some of them have had a few decent years, but I would say none of these guys showed as special in the NFL.

Who has showed special? Plaxico, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, Calvin, Julio Jones, AJ Green

I exempt Tavon Austin because it is too soon to know although personally he doesn't look like a special player to me.

Bottom line: of those top 10 consensus picks, 13 were less than special, 6 were special. That's a 68% disappointment rate. So, I don't think it is unreasonable for me to look at Evans film and conclude that he doesn't look special. In fact, odds are that I am right.

A better way of putting it is that a RB/WR/TE chosen in the top 10 of the NFL draft is "supposed to be" special. Over time we see that some of the players who go that high end up being special and some of them don't, but they're all drafted with the expectation that they will be. I think if you looked at the career expectation of a generic generic top 10 WR it would be better than the career expectation of a generic late 2nd round RB. There are going to be misses on both sides, but the odds favor the higher pick.

Doesn't mean I would never ever take the latter over the former, but I'd have to have a good reason for doing so. Ideally, you wouldn't have to make that decision. If you like Sankey ahead of Evans, but you know that Evans has the higher ADP, you could trade out of the Evans slot into a slightly lower slot and hopefully pick up some extra value to compensate.

A better way of putting it is that a RB/WR/TE chosen in the top 10 of the NFL draft is "supposed to be" special. Over time we see that some of the players who go that high end up being special and some of them don't, but they're all drafted with the expectation that they will be. I think if you looked at the career expectation of a generic generic top 10 WR it would be better than the career expectation of a generic late 2nd round RB. There are going to be misses on both sides, but the odds favor the higher pick.

Doesn't mean I would never ever take the latter over the former, but I'd have to have a good reason for doing so. Ideally, you wouldn't have to make that decision. If you like Sankey ahead of Evans, but you know that Evans has the higher ADP, you could trade out of the Evans slot into a slightly lower slot and hopefully pick up some extra value to compensate.
Fair enough. If you could trade down and take Sankey, that's even better.

For point of reference, comparing second round RBs from 2000 to 2009 (I excluded 2010 to present because there are quite a few that it is still too early to judge, including Ben Tate, Toby Gerhart, Christine Michael, Lacy, Ball, Bell, and Gio).

From 2000 to 2009 there were 21 RBs taken in second round. 6 were elite studs, with multiple years of over 1000 yards rushing: Travis Henry, Clinton Portis, MJD, Ray Rice, Forte, McCoy. That's a 29% hit rate and very comparable to the top 10 WR group (32% hit rate).

Incidentally, the hit rate for third round RBS for 2000-2009 is 12.5%, which is a big drop off from the 29% rate for second round RBs. The special RBs in this group include Gore,Westbrook, and Jamaal Charles out of 24 backs drafted.

The hit rate for second round WRs is about 15%. From 2000 to 2011 you have Chad Ocho, Boldin, VJax, Jennings, Desean Jackson, Jordy Nelson, Cobb, and Torrey Smith. 8 out of 52 guys drafted.

I think now after looking at this that you could make a case for going with need--do you need a RB or WR more, and taking that position at 1.02.

Choice 1: 32% hit rate on WR (drafted in top 10 slots) and 12.5% chance with a third round RB.

Choice 2: 29% hit rate on second round RB and 15% hit rate on a second round WR.

EBF said:
If a guy isn't good enough to be ranked in the top 5 QBs, 10 RBs, 15 WRs, and 5 TEs on my board in a given class then chances are that I can pretty much ignore him completely for FF purposes. It wouldn't be the worst strategy in the world to ignore every rookie drafted outside the first four rounds.
:wall:

Pretty rare for a TE to be picked that high by the NFL, and Detroit throws like 50 times a game. He's been mid 1st in TE req, high 1st in TE premium from what I've seen -- IMO that's about right. Anything in particular you're not liking with him?
Since 1996 (multiple endpoints ahoy!), the only TEs taken in the top half of the first round are Ebron, Vernon Davis, KWII, Shockey, Franks, and Gonzo. That's not a shabby list at all- Gonzo gave 846 points of VBD for his career, Davis is at 200 and counting, Shockey topped 150 VBD (and would be well over 200 on a per-game basis), and Winslow topped 100 VBD (more in PPR, where he was a poor man's Jason Witten) despite playing his entire career at 85% after several injuries he never fully recovered from. By far the worst was Bubba Franks, and even he was a serviceable fantasy player for a while.

It's rare for TEs to go in the top half of the first round, and the ones that do make it have a pretty strong success rate. Positional value is important and cannot be disregarded, but the case for Ebron is easy to make.
Ebron

Vernon Davis

KWII

Shockey

Franks

Gonzo

I don't remember all of these guys as draft prospects, but I'm guessing at least a few of them were drafted as more "complete" TEs than Ebron. We all know Ebron isn't much of a blocker. Neither was Shockey or KWII; I don't believe Davis was either. Guess my point is, like Jordan Reed, I'm OK with my TE in fantasy being absolutely atrocious at blocking, provided the team still intends to get him on the field. If he's: 1) bad at blocking; AND 2) still on the field a majority of the time, then it follows he's out there to be utilized in the passing game. In the case of Ebron, if he's: 1) bad at blocking; and 2) so good at the receiving aspect as to merit a top 10 selection from a team with significant needs in other areas (e.g. this wasn't the Seahawks with a random top 10 pick taking a luxury), then shouldn't we believe his team intends to get him involved heavily in that aspect of the game that merited the selection? Shouldn't he be drafted in fantasy accordingly?

The risk with Ebron is that he falls in that baseline production abyss at TE (which I'm on record as saying baseline TE production is pretty easy to acquire). I've heard others say he can give the Detroit Lions everything they're wanting from him from an NFL perspective and still be Greg Olsen from a FF perspective. As the rest of the discussion in this thread has evolved to searching for the truely elite talent (as the pool continues to increase with baseline options (especially at receiving positions)) where do we side with Ebron? Is he in the future top-3 at his position conversation? Or are you better off swinging for the fences at another position, especially in no TE-premium leagues?

Davis is a very good blocker which keeps him from getting consistent targets from year to year. Maybe he wasn't right away. Mike Singletary was very critical of him early on in his career. There are other things that have influenced that as well, but if he were a lesser blocker I think he would be used in the passing game more.

Franks was a complete TE who lost some of his speed after an injury IIRC. I dont think he was ever quite the receiving prospect that the other guys you list were. He had Favre who liked to throw in the RZ but wasn't used that much between the 20s.

Shockey was used as a receiver more than a blocker right away with the Giants. I do not have target data for his rookie season but he caught 74 in 15 games in 2002 with Kerry Collins. The offensive coordinator for the Giants in 2002 was Sean Payton.

Winslow had the injury that messed up his earlier career.

Shockey was injured in his second season and never caught as many as his rookie season again.

Both of my dynasty leagues are TE premium and even with that, I'm not planning on drafting Ebron with any of my 5 first round picks. He doesn't wow me on tape and I just have this suspicion that he will underwhelm if you're hoping for a future elite TE. I plan on letting someone else draft Ebron.

When taking over an "orphaned" dynasty team, which would most likely be lacking in either stud-caliber players and/or depth, what is the general idea of how to rebuild? Aim to build depth, or acquire one or two key players? What's the general method for re-building?

My advice:

Keep all of your picks and use them well (ie do your homework).

Work the waiver wire diligently.

Look to trade any vets that won't be much/any help to you in the next 2-3 years (theoretically/hopefully by that time you'll be competitive) for draft picks/youth.

Simple/obvious stuff I suppose.

When taking over an "orphaned" dynasty team, which would most likely be lacking in either stud-caliber players and/or depth, what is the general idea of how to rebuild? Aim to build depth, or acquire one or two key players? What's the general method for re-building?
Keeping picks is definitely important (although if you can make advantageous trades for quality 2nd/3rd year players with breakout potential, you should definitely consider it).

I disagree with ditching your veterans, however, unless they're merely backup quality or you can get solid upside players in return. I turned a team around from 2nd-to-last to 3rd-best in a single year, and that's a lot more fun that throwing in the towel for the season in the name of "building for the future."

It's got to be pretty close though right? Especially considering Julio's injury and the fact Alshon is one year younger.

It's got to be pretty close though right? Especially considering Julio's injury and the fact Alshon is one year younger.
I think Julio is probably in the first tier of dynasty studs, with AJ, Calvin, Dez, DT. Jeffery is one notch below. Still great, but you'd have to make up a little to even it out.

Users who are viewing this thread