What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Phish Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Tiger Fan

Footballguy
So about 3 or so years ago, I posted on here that I wanted to dabble into listening to Phish. Based on my music preferences, everyone recommended that I start with Billy Breathes :thumbup: Absolutely love that CD and then I got Hoist :thumbup: Not as good as BB for me, but still great. So I stopped listening to them for a while, and then I found one of my good friends at work was a big Phishead and had him burn me a few discs. He mixed a bunch of stuff together (I still don't know the names of the songs) but they all rawk :thumbup:

So I figure I'm ready for a full live show. Any recommendations? Personally, I prefer songs w/o the extended 10 min jams....I know I can't 100% avoid them on a live show, but if there was a show with fewer of these that still is considered a classic, let me know.

Links appreciated

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Show I've ever been to.

Tuesday, August 6, 1996

Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

Set I: Makisupa Policeman, Rift, Suzy Greenberg > Simple, Theme From the Bottom, The Lizards, Dinner and a Movie, Horn, Run Like an Antelope

Set II: The Curtain > Tweezer, Prince Caspian, A Day in the Life, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, HYHU > Purple Rain > HYHU, Harry Hood > Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

Show Notes: Note the "This is Red Rocks, This is the Edge" quote from Trey during the break in Rift! The quote was a reference to the both band U2's Live: Under a Blood Red Sky album and Trey's similar remarks on the Junta-released version of Icculus. Suzy included a Simple tease. The phrase "21 year old Phish Fan Marcus Esquandolas" was substituted for "Marco Esquandolas" during Antelope in reference to a fan's quote in a newspaper article on the disturbance in Morrison the day before. Tweezer included a Norwegian Wood jam. Harry Hood featured the debut of the "Hood" response chant, initiated by Phish.netters and advertised on flyers handed out at the Red Rocks shows. Among other ideas, the flyers encouraged fans to shout "Hood" after the band sings "Harry." It began to rain in the second set and the band responded with Purple Rain. Chris played along by showering the stage in purple lights.

So about 3 or so years ago, I posted on here that I wanted to dabble into listening to Phish. Based on my music preferences, everyone recommended that I start with Billy Breathes :thumbup: Absolutely love that CD and then I got Hoist :thumbup: Not as good as BB for me, but still great. So I stopped listening to them for a while, and then I found one of my good friends at work was a big Phishead and had him burn me a few discs. He mixed a bunch of stuff together (I still don't know the names of the songs) but they all rawk :thumbup:

So I figure I'm ready for a full live show. Any recommendations? Personally, I prefer songs w/o the extended 10 min jams....I know I can't 100% avoid them on a live show, but if there was a show with fewer of these that still is considered a classic, let me know.

Links appreciated

TIA
Live At Madison Square Garden New Year's Eve 1995 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Review from Rollingstone

from the review:

It's the short, fun tunes that capture the spirit of the night, though: "Axilla (Part II)" and "Chalk Dust Torture" are adrenaline-fueled sprints. The covers - the Who's "Drowned" and "Sea and Sand"; a goofy take on Collective Soul's torturous hit "Shine"; and a rip-roaring encore of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" -- are inflected with such a Phish-y flavor you'd think they wrote them.

Asking for a Phish show without 10 minute jams is missing the point. And studio Phish is just bleh.

Go to Nugs.net "free stash" and look for some of the formative classic phish shows, amy's farm, ft collins CO, etc... stuff from 1990-1993, then explore from there...

Links appreciated

TIA
The Red Rocks and MSG suggestions are right on. Can you use Bit Torrent? If so, these are available.Here's Fro's recommendation - 8.6.96 Red Rocks

Another great Red Rocks show - 8.20.93

A classic older show with horns - 7.21.91 Parksville, NY

Links appreciated

TIA
The Red Rocks and MSG suggestions are right on. Can you use Bit Torrent? If so, these are available.Here's Fro's recommendation - 8.6.96 Red Rocks

Very good shows!

I was at this show. At the end of the second day, Phish has some of the Radiators play Gumbo with them. Excellent show. The Radiators rocked too.

Another good show that is now on CD that I went too was at Townsend Family Park in VT. I think it was July or August 1990. Great 3 sets in a beautiful setting. Divided Sky was great (although it may have been the drugs), and they play some hardcore stuff in one of the encores of the third set. Lots of fun. It was great being there, but the recording isn't the cleanest. Still better than all the tapes I used to listen to.

I was at this show. At the end of the second day, Phish has some of the Radiators play Gumbo with them. Excellent show. The Radiators rocked too.

Another good show that is now on CD that I went too was at Townsend Family Park in VT. I think it was July or August 1990. Great 3 sets in a beautiful setting. Divided Sky was great (although it may have been the drugs), and they play some hardcore stuff in one of the encores of the third set. Lots of fun. It was great being there, but the recording isn't the cleanest. Still better than all the tapes I used to listen to.
Anther terrific older show was a week after the Arrowhead Ranch gig, Amy's farm in Maine. It was their 7th anniversary show and the first time I saw them do Chalkdust Torture.

Links appreciated

TIA

thanks

That's crazy you were at those shows Dr. J.

New Years Eve 1995 at MSG - a must have
Yeah, I'm old. I actually helped produce a Phish show in Syracuse because Fishman is from there and he always wanted to play at the bar I tended at the time. I've never heard a recording of it, though. It was at Clement's Brewpub (used to be Hungry Charlie's), Fall 1990. If anyone has heard this, I'd like to know how to get a hold of it.

Yeah, I'm old. I actually helped produce a Phish show in Syracuse because Fishman is from there and he always wanted to play at the bar I tended at the time. I've never heard a recording of it, though. It was at Clement's Brewpub (used to be Hungry Charlie's), Fall 1990. If anyone has heard this, I'd like to know how to get a hold of it.
I'll keep an eye out. Is this it?EDIT: found this with no setlist -

Wednesday, November 28, 1990

Clement's, Syracuse, NY

these are from 89 -

Saturday, May 13, 1989

Hungry Charlie's, Syracuse, NY

Set I: AC/DC Bag, Alumni Blues, You Enjoy Myself, Golgi Apparatus, La Grange, Fluffhead, Possum, Foam, Walk Away, Take the 'A' Train, Split Open and Melt > David Bowie

Set II: Suzy Greenberg > Bold As Love, The Lizards, Harry Hood, If I Only Had a Brain, Contact, Fire

Encore: Whipping Post

Show Notes: This show featured more fun stage banter, as Trey referred to Fishman as "the hometown boy" and Fish commented about embarrassing himself in front of his entire class. Also, Trey commented that his mother was in the audience, "all the way from Ireland." After AC/DC Bag, Trey referenced that day's graduation events. Possum included Fishing Hole Theme teases. This version of Whipping Post was really jammed out. The Bowie hi-hat intro included 'A' Train and SOAM teases. The venue is often listed as Orange Grove but, according to those in attendance, was actually Hungry Charlie's.

Friday, October 13, 1989

Clement's, Syracuse, NY

Set I: David Bowie, Slave to the Traffic Light, The Sloth, Possum

Set II: Bike, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, AC/DC Bag, Colonel Forbin's Ascent

Show Notes: While this show might have taken place, it also might be confused with the May 13, 1989 show at Hungry Charlie's. Tapes with the above list circulate, though it is unclear if they are from this show. Home videos were shown both before and during this humorous, early Bike. Trey jokingly referred to TMWSIY as "The Man Who Stepped Into Dog Log." It is believed that this show was actually at Clement's and not at The Orange Grove or Copperfield's, as it is usually listed.

I'll keep an eye out. Is this it?EDIT: found this with no setlist -

Wednesday, November 28, 1990

Clement's, Syracuse, NY

these are from 89 -

Saturday, May 13, 1989

Hungry Charlie's, Syracuse, NY

Set I: AC/DC Bag, Alumni Blues, You Enjoy Myself, Golgi Apparatus, La Grange, Fluffhead, Possum, Foam, Walk Away, Take the 'A' Train, Split Open and Melt > David Bowie

Set II: Suzy Greenberg > Bold As Love, The Lizards, Harry Hood, If I Only Had a Brain, Contact, Fire

Encore: Whipping Post

Show Notes: This show featured more fun stage banter, as Trey referred to Fishman as "the hometown boy" and Fish commented about embarrassing himself in front of his entire class. Also, Trey commented that his mother was in the audience, "all the way from Ireland." After AC/DC Bag, Trey referenced that day's graduation events. Possum included Fishing Hole Theme teases. This version of Whipping Post was really jammed out. The Bowie hi-hat intro included 'A' Train and SOAM teases. The venue is often listed as Orange Grove but, according to those in attendance, was actually Hungry Charlie's.

Friday, October 13, 1989

Clement's, Syracuse, NY

Set I: David Bowie, Slave to the Traffic Light, The Sloth, Possum

Set II: Bike, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, AC/DC Bag, Colonel Forbin's Ascent

Show Notes: While this show might have taken place, it also might be confused with the May 13, 1989 show at Hungry Charlie's. Tapes with the above list circulate, though it is unclear if they are from this show. Home videos were shown both before and during this humorous, early Bike. Trey jokingly referred to TMWSIY as "The Man Who Stepped Into Dog Log." It is believed that this show was actually at Clement's and not at The Orange Grove or Copperfield's, as it is usually listed.
The 5/13/89 show was at the Orange Grove, not Clements. I think the set list for October 13 is the Clement's set list for 11/28/90, because that definitely happened in 90 and I don't think there was a Syracuse show 10/13/89. I remember a show in Ithaca around the same time at the Haunt.It's funny reading about Trey's mom at the OG show, because I remember dancing with Fishman's mom at Clements. After the show, Phish walked around and served the audience from the trays of food we provided for them.

The 5/13/89 show was at the Orange Grove, not Clements. I think the set list for October 13 is the Clement's set list for 11/28/90, because that definitely happened in 90 and I don't think there was a Syracuse show 10/13/89. I remember a show in Ithaca around the same time at the Haunt.

It's funny reading about Trey's mom at the OG show, because I remember dancing with Fishman's mom at Clements. After the show, Phish walked around and served the audience from the trays of food we provided for them.
Here's a link to the 5.13.89 torrent, but it has no seeders at the moment.

I would get anything from 8/93 or Fall 94. Fall 95 is also very good. Once you get into those, and get use to the extended jams, then try Fall 97.

The July 91 horn tour is also a blast.

I'm a relatively recent convert to the Dead, but haven't quite made it to being a Phish fan...yet. Will probably get there eventually.

DLing this one now :thumbup:

I'm a relatively recent convert to the Dead, but haven't quite made it to being a Phish fan...yet. Will probably get there eventually.
I'm your man when you're ready. Just let me know.
I know you're the man who can get things. :thumbup: I have Lawn Boy, and I like it, but it hasn't quite hit me yet. Always looking for more suggestions.
Like most of these guys have said, their live shows are where they earned their money. I don't think they ever really mastered the studio. Tough to harness all that energy.

DLing this one now :thumbup:
I think I played this tape so much when I was younger, the tape broke. I just downloaded it the other day, really brings back some memories.

Alot of the older stuff is tighter. As the years progressed they tended to get a little more noodley and a little too spacey sometimes. I can do without a 30 minute Tweezer.

The 7/21/91 was really a perfect suggestion for you. They also have a new live 3cd set of the '88 Colorado tour. That'd be worth picking up.

Alot of the older stuff is tighter. As the years progressed they tended to get a little more noodley and a little too spacey sometimes. I can do without a 30 minute Tweezer.

The 7/21/91 was really a perfect suggestion for you. They also have a new live 3cd set of the '88 Colorado tour. That'd be worth picking up.
:shock: :no: I've seen many shows....mostly between 90-95. Good times. I thought the Dead were better live, but I mean come on, those guys played and lived together forever.

YEM, Tweezer, ####, all of their jams are all good to go.

Phish, It all just kinda clicked for me today
Awesome. Worst thing about Phish: their music is so quirky and complex that it's difficult to get into them without seeing them live and witnessing the energy with the music.

Best thing about Phish: their music is so quirky and complex that once you "get it", you'll spend years and years listening to thousands of hours of live shows and love every second. It never gets old.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to attend a live show when Phish gets back together. After that, your favorite phrases will be "set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul", "we're sharing in the weekapaug groove", and "momma sing sing when she gotta jibboo".

:thumbup:

As previously mentioned, free live shows stream here: nugs stash

Awesome. Worst thing about Phish: their music is so quirky and complex that it's difficult to get into them without seeing them live and witnessing the energy with the music.

Best thing about Phish: their music is so quirky and complex that once you "get it", you'll spend years and years listening to thousands of hours of live shows and love every second. It never gets old.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to attend a live show when Phish gets back together. After that, your favorite phrases will be "set your gear shift to the high gear of your soul", "we're sharing in the weekapaug groove", and "momma sing sing when she gotta jibboo".

Are they seriously going to get back together?

:shock: :no: YEM, Tweezer, ####, all of their jams are all good to go.
Not all the time, but then again no band will ever be on every single night. I'm just saying I'd much rather listen to a 89 YEM than I would a 99 YEM.The 35 min Tweezers were cool when I was in my "Phish can do no wrong" days, but now when I hear one after about 15 min I'm waiting to hear them go back into the familiar Tweezer Chords.

Too much money not too. They just needed a break. Trey and Gordon are still playing all the time; Fishman and Page will get the itch soon.It'll happen.

Anybody know where I can find this set? I didn't see it on the free stash link

3-28-93 -- East Gym - Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA

Boy was I a young pup then :(

So I figure I'm ready for a full live show. Any recommendations? Personally, I prefer songs w/o the extended 10 min jams....
The earlier the show, the better, in your case. Their jams got longer as time went on. In particular, at this point you should avoid anything from 1999 or later -- things got real drawn-out and spacey in those years. I highly recommend anything from early May 1993 -- 5/1 thru 5/8. They were on fire that week. I'm particularly biased because 5/2 was my first show, but I think you'll find that pretty much the whole week is a great example of tight, high-caliber playing without too many long jams. 5/3 has some Gamehendge narration, 5/5 has a crazy extended YEM with the Aquarium Rescue Unit, 5/6 has some country-music guests, and the others are just rock solid and killer. Another week of shows you'd enjoy is 4/16 thru 4/21/92. Again, high-level playing that showcases the best of what they could do without too many extended jams.

Too much money not too. They just needed a break. Trey and Gordon are still playing all the time; Fishman and Page will get the itch soon.It'll happen.
Page is going though a divorce and is in a custody battle. Doubtful any sort of reunion will happen until that is resolved.

Links appreciated

TIA

Had a friend who won tickets for sound check for this show, and saved us space in the second row!!! AWESOME show!

So I figure I'm ready for a full live show. Any recommendations? Personally, I prefer songs w/o the extended 10 min jams....
The earlier the show, the better, in your case. Their jams got longer as time went on. In particular, at this point you should avoid anything from 1999 or later -- things got real drawn-out and spacey in those years. I highly recommend anything from early May 1993 -- 5/1 thru 5/8. They were on fire that week. I'm particularly biased because 5/2 was my first show, but I think you'll find that pretty much the whole week is a great example of tight, high-caliber playing without too many long jams. 5/3 has some Gamehendge narration, 5/5 has a crazy extended YEM with the Aquarium Rescue Unit, 5/6 has some country-music guests, and the others are just rock solid and killer. Another week of shows you'd enjoy is 4/16 thru 4/21/92. Again, high-level playing that showcases the best of what they could do without too many extended jams.
great suggestions

7/21/91 was a terrific suggestion if you want to steer clear of the jams. I heart horn shows

April 92, especially 4/16/92 was another good one.

7/24/93 is a great picture of phish on the verge of really blowing up - the second sets from summer 93 that start with also sprach zarathustra are all great

I could write hundreds of pages about where to start, but my personal pick for you to get introduced to live phish is (*drumroll*)

12/30/93 set II portland maine

2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song-> The Horse-> Silent in the Morning, Punch You in the Eye, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Weekapaug Groove-> Purple Rain, Slave to the Traffic Light

E: Rocky Top, Good Times Bad Times

Some really excellent segues, highlighting some of phish's best songs that you wont hear on albums, no jams that get too far out there. This set was my favorite single set of phish until the monster known as fall 97 happened.

7/21/91 was a terrific suggestion if you want to steer clear of the jams. I heart horn showsApril 92, especially 4/16/92 was another good one.7/24/93 is a great picture of phish on the verge of really blowing up - the second sets from summer 93 that start with also sprach zarathustra are all greatI could write hundreds of pages about where to start, but my personal pick for you to get introduced to live phish is (*drumroll*)12/30/93 set II portland maine2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song-> The Horse-> Silent in the Morning, Punch You in the Eye, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Weekapaug Groove-> Purple Rain, Slave to the Traffic LightE: Rocky Top, Good Times Bad TimesSome really excellent segues, highlighting some of phish's best songs that you wont hear on albums, no jams that get too far out there. This set was my favorite single set of phish until the monster known as fall 97 happened.
I was at this show. Easily one of the best shows I saw in person.Don't miss out on the first set either, more Gamehenge goodness:1: David Bowie, Weigh, The Curtain-> Sample in a Jar, Paul and Silas, Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Famous Mockingbird, Rift, Bathtub Gin, Freebird

Best Show I've ever been to.

Tuesday, August 6, 1996

Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, CO

Set I: Makisupa Policeman, Rift, Suzy Greenberg > Simple, Theme From the Bottom, The Lizards, Dinner and a Movie, Horn, Run Like an Antelope

Set II: The Curtain > Tweezer, Prince Caspian, A Day in the Life, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, HYHU > Purple Rain > HYHU, Harry Hood > Tweezer Reprise

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

Show Notes: Note the "This is Red Rocks, This is the Edge" quote from Trey during the break in Rift! The quote was a reference to the both band U2's Live: Under a Blood Red Sky album and Trey's similar remarks on the Junta-released version of Icculus. Suzy included a Simple tease. The phrase "21 year old Phish Fan Marcus Esquandolas" was substituted for "Marco Esquandolas" during Antelope in reference to a fan's quote in a newspaper article on the disturbance in Morrison the day before. Tweezer included a Norwegian Wood jam. Harry Hood featured the debut of the "Hood" response chant, initiated by Phish.netters and advertised on flyers handed out at the Red Rocks shows. Among other ideas, the flyers encouraged fans to shout "Hood" after the band sings "Harry." It began to rain in the second set and the band responded with Purple Rain. Chris played along by showering the stage in purple lights.
:thumbup: I wish I could've been there.

Asking for a Phish show without 10 minute jams is missing the point.
Agree completely. It hasn't "clicked" for you at all. Not to say it's a terrible thing if you are into the short, poppy, jam-less songs, but you also aren't listening to them for what they are really all about. It took me a long time (and some narcotics probably) to appreciate them but I can remember the period when me and my buddies would always have some Phish live tape playing everywhere we went. It was the soundtrack for several years. I never went to the weekend-long festivals (my friends went to them yearly), but I did see them in concert, and it's pretty insane.

My favorite show is my first. Found the soundboard too in a small music store in California a few years later.

02-16-97 Wartesaal, Koln, Germany

1: Beauty of My Dreams*, Split Open and Melt, Bouncing Around the Room, Crosseyed and Painless, Guelah Papyrus, Ginseng Sullivan, Tweezer, Waste, Cavern, Chalk Dust Torture

2: Sample in a Jar, Cars Trucks Buses, Free, Sparkle, Simple-> When the Circus Comes, Swept Away-> Steep-> David Bowie, Loving Cup, Tweezer Reprise

E: Theme From the Bottom, Johnny B. Goode

*First time played; Del McCoury Band (bluegrass legend) cover, from their "Blue Side of Town" album.

Saw this show a few days later and am still looking for the soundboard.

02-18-97 Bataclan, Paris, France

1: Beauty of My Dreams, Cavern, Punch You in the Eye, Runaway Jim, NICU, Stash, Waste, Walfredo, Character Zero, Slave to the Traffic Light

2: Peaches En Regalia, Also Sprach Zarathustra-> My Soul, Maze, Wolfman's Brother, Reba, Train Song, Harry Hood-> Frankenstein

E: Bold As Love*

* Dedicated to Jimi Hendrix

Users who are viewing this thread