Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Phish Thread***

cheesy, slow, played out, but whatever - I love Waste.

My last Phish show was in '96, I have a feeling that if I went to a reunion show, it would be filled with tunes like this that I don't know (and find kinda cheesy also).
Have no doubt - they'll still
. Edited by tommyGunZ
  • Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick review from last night: This was a "Trey" show, through and through. Sure, Mike chipped in with a quirky, not-very-interesting new song Infinite, and Page had his Lawnboy and the electronica dan

Wife already threw up and the show hasn’t started. Aah, summer tour. 

I was there but I was blissfully ignorant. People should probably stop buying nitrous from guys with swastika tats and maybe they won’t come back. 

My last Phish show was in '96, I have a feeling that if I went to a reunion show, it would be filled with tunes like this that I don't know (and find kinda cheesy also).
Same here. I saw most of my shows from 91-96. Went to New Years shows up until 2000...

Give me a 25 minute YEM over some of the new cheesy crap every day.

That being said...I still may be tempted to hit up a show. No matter how "bad" it is...it is still a good time.

Sounds like it's on. Vegoose '08?

I'd be there, without question.

Phish in Vegas is always a good time.

Been three times. I don't even like Vegas.
I caught the "Loaded" gig back in 97-98 :rolleyes: I ate about 500 hits worth of liquid that night. It actually came out of a squirt bottle :excited: Decided to stay in Vegas for work reasons and missed the Darkside Harpua encore in Utah.
:lmao:
That's a conservative estimate...I'd say it was closer to 1500. I drank about an ounce and washed my face with the rest.

Just another day at the office

:lmao:

This calls to mind the following experiment:

Details of the Injection

The 7000-pound bull elephant named Tusko was injected with a huge dose of LSD (297 mg) into one buttock with a dart rifle. Five minutes later, the elephant collapsed and went into convulsions. An excerpt from the original journal article about the experiment:

"Five minutes after the injection he trumpeted, collapsed, fell heavily onto his right side, defecated, and went into status epilepticus. The limbs on the left side were hyperextended and held stiffly out from the body; the limbs on the right side were drawn up in partial flexion; there were tremors throughout. The eyes were closed and showed a spasm of the orbicularis occuli; the eyeballs were turned sharply to the left, with markedly dilated pupils. The mouth was open, but breathing was extremely labored and stertorous, giving the impression of high respiratory obstruction due to laryngeal spasm. The tongue, which had been bitten, was cyanotic. The picture was that of a tonic left-sided seizure in which, mild clonic movements were present."

-- West LJ, Pierce CM, Thomas WD. Science, 1962, 1100-1103.

Twenty minutes after the initial injection of LSD, it was decided that promazine hydrochloride (Thorazine) should be administered in an attempt to counter the above reaction. 2800 mg of promazine hydrochloride was injected into his ear over a period of 11 minutes, and only partially relieved the seizures and respiratory distress. An hour later, in a further attempt to assist the elephant, Dr. West injected Tusko with an unspecified quantity of pentobarbital sodium directly into a vein. The elephant died 1 hour and 40 minutes after the LSD had been given. Dr. West's original article on the experiment can be found at: HofLSD1069. Several newspapers covered the story, one of which is available as HofLSD1069a. A german-language editorial mentions it at Hofmann Collection LSD1069b.

He was obviously not injected with the goods

Same here. I saw most of my shows from 91-96. Went to New Years shows up until 2000...

That being said...I still may be tempted to hit up a show. No matter how "bad" it is...it is still a good time.

Sure hope lots more share this attitude. More tickets for me...

I wouldn't count on it. It will be an absolute madhouse. There's probably a couple hundred thousand kids out there who have never seen a live show lining up willing to pay $500+ a pop for a ticket to see the first reunion show. My experience has been for the most part the best shows played are the ones you don't expect.

I actually want to check it out, mostly to bring my wife who wasn't into that sort of thing back then. Provided of course that it won't cost 1000 bucks for the two of us :goodposting:

I'll go in not expecting much, and will hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Have no doubt - they'll still
Hotness.

I like that song... Not a great version though. Unless that's how it reaally was and I just forgot :2cents:

In my garage band days we used to play that song.

There have been quite a few great shows since 1996-1997.

Hell, there were great post-hiatus shows.

I was fortunate to see these two MONSTERS back to back in 2003:

Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, MA

Set I: You Enjoy Myself, Clone, Roggae, Drifting, Blue Skies, The Moma Dance, Final Flight, Maze

Set II: Stash, Ghost -> Low Rider Jam -> Makisupa Policeman -> Ya Mar, Guyute, Waves > Prince Caspian -> Frankenstein > Golgi Apparatus

Encore: Loving Cup

Show Notes: For the first time since November 18, 1989, Phish opened with YEM (albeit preceded by a "Charge!" tease from Trey). The YEM vocal jam included Trey singing pieces Clone. Phish subsequently debuted Clone, as well as three other songs previously only played by various band member side projects: Drifting, Blue Skies, and Final Flight. Stash included a Foam tease. The lyrics to Makiupa referenced the fire at the band's hotel in Cincinnati a week earlier. Trey expanded Page's nickname to "Leo Kottke" in Ya Mar. Ya Mar also included a Stash tease. Caspian was unfinished. Golgi included a Frankenstein tease.

Friday, February 28, 2003

Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY

Set I: Birds of a Feather, Destiny Unbound, Horn > Bathtub Gin, Sleep, Back on the Train, Bouncing Around the Room, Walls of the Cave

Set II: Tweezer > Soul Shakedown Party -> David Bowie, Round Room > Harry Hood

Encore: Contact, Mexican Cousin, Tweezer Reprise

Show Notes: Phish broke out two long-shelved tunes: the first Destiny Unbound since November 15, 1991 (788 shows) and the first Soul Shakedown Party since February 20, 1997 (266 shows).

Anyone have the show when they played Quadrophenia in 95?

I was at the show. I dressed up like the Grinch as it was a Halloween show. Spent the day in Evanston and we almost drove an antique fire truck to the venue.

I was at the show. I dressed up like the Grinch as it was a Halloween show. Spent the day in Evanston and we almost drove an antique fire truck to the venue.
would you know where i could get a copy?

This was released, right? You can purchase it.
I don't think it was. I wouldn't mind finding a site to grab some old shows from :lmao:
Link.

P.S. I don't think I have this digitally (or on CD, for that matter; all of my Phish stuff on CD got stolen out of my car), but I'll see what I can find.

This was released, right? You can purchase it.
I don't think it was. I wouldn't mind finding a site to grab some old shows from :lmao:
Link.

P.S. I don't think I have this digitally (or on CD, for that matter; all of my Phish stuff on CD got stolen out of my car), but I'll see what I can find.

Weird, I looked but couldn't find it. That show was funtimes with the exception of some broad accidentally dumping a whole container of glitter on me. Ended up going down my neck and back and made me itchy.

Absolutely ripping Julius here

10/31/94 Trey was definately dialed in for this show. From about the five minute mark on, he is shredding. One of my fave Phish tunes!

The jam b/w Simple and Divided Sky during that first set still gives me chills. The Reba from set 3 is also out of this world (typical Reba) - I don't know if there was more anticipation for any show before this one - the first Halloween show with a costume set (White Album). Heads were breaking into the Glens Falls CC through the ventilation ducts to see this show.
I hate myself for never seeing these guys live.
Seriously? Can you elaborate a bit? Why didn't you?

from West Palm Beach. I was at this show as well. IIRC Jimmy Buffet came out and they encored Brown Eyed Girl :shrug: Could have been the trips but I'm pretty sure it happened. The second half of the Hood is epic as always.

10/31/94 Trey was definately dialed in for this show. From about the five minute mark on, he is shredding. One of my fave Phish tunes!

The jam b/w Simple and Divided Sky during that first set still gives me chills. The Reba from set 3 is also out of this world (typical Reba) - I don't know if there was more anticipation for any show before this one - the first Halloween show with a costume set (White Album). Heads were breaking into the Glens Falls CC through the ventilation ducts to see this show.
Kicked myself repeatedly for not going to this one.

Best Show I've ever been to.Tuesday, August 6, 1996Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, COSet I: Makisupa Policeman, Rift, Suzy Greenberg > Simple, Theme From the Bottom, The Lizards, Dinner and a Movie, Horn, Run Like an AntelopeSet II: The Curtain > Tweezer, Prince Caspian, A Day in the Life, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, HYHU > Purple Rain > HYHU, Harry Hood > Tweezer RepriseEncore: Johnny B. GoodeShow Notes: Note the "This is Red Rocks, This is the Edge" quote from Trey during the break in Rift! The quote was a reference to the both band U2's Live: Under a Blood Red Sky album and Trey's similar remarks on the Junta-released version of Icculus. Suzy included a Simple tease. The phrase "21 year old Phish Fan Marcus Esquandolas" was substituted for "Marco Esquandolas" during Antelope in reference to a fan's quote in a newspaper article on the disturbance in Morrison the day before. Tweezer included a Norwegian Wood jam. Harry Hood featured the debut of the "Hood" response chant, initiated by Phish.netters and advertised on flyers handed out at the Red Rocks shows. Among other ideas, the flyers encouraged fans to shout "Hood" after the band sings "Harry." It began to rain in the second set and the band responded with Purple Rain. Chris played along by showering the stage in purple lights.

Dude! I was totally at that show. The crowd from the hill ran down during Antelope in response and crashed the fence. I didn't know nothing about this till we were leaving--all high and ####--walking past all the cops. Craziness.We camped in the campground that was like five miles up the mountain, where were you?

Agreed. Hoist had tons of good stuff on it, and this was one of the tops.

Love that hair Trey! He was totally on in the early mid 90's.

"I think that I know now what I hadn't known yet"

:lmao::pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Because I'm a dumb###.
Serious rumors about them getting back together are floating around.

You might get a reprise yet :goodposting:

I dunno. I went to some of their post hiatus shows. Never really brought me back to the stuff from the 90's. I do think taking some time off like they have will have them producing some downright angry freakish funk.

That Red rocks show I was at as well. I remember the Purple Rain during the rain and bluish purple sky. My friend Jenny got hit by a cop car and a riot started. I think it was the night of this show. Ended up breaking her arm and all hell broke loose. I remember this cop telling us to move out of the way with his stomping horse, bottles flying through the air and the broad I was with flicking her cigarette in the cops face...nutty times. After that night it was decided Phish would not be allowed back. That was a crazy 4 days.

Because I'm a dumb###.

You might get a reprise yet :)

I dunno. I went to some of their post hiatus shows. Never really brought me back to the stuff from the 90's. I do think taking some time off like they have will have them producing some downright angry freakish funk.

That Red rocks show I was at as well. I remember the Purple Rain during the rain and bluish purple sky. My friend Jenny got hit by a cop car and a riot started. I think it was the night of this show. Ended up breaking her arm and all hell broke loose. I remember this cop telling us to move out of the way with his stomping horse, bottles flying through the air and the broad I was with flicking her cigarette in the cops face...nutty times. After that night it was decided Phish would not be allowed back. That was a crazy 4 days.

I think the key for them is going to be practice. Opiates being out of Trey's head might be helpful as well.

I am totally psyched to see these guys again, it has been a long time.

Because I'm a dumb###.

You might get a reprise yet :goodposting:

I think the key for them is going to be practice. Opiates being out of Trey's head might be helpful as well.

I was always a fan of "coked out" Trey for some reason. I liked he angrier gritty sound he produced.
Because I'm a dumb###.

You might get a reprise yet :shrug:

I was always a fan of "coked out" Trey for some reason. I liked he angrier gritty sound he produced.
Not being super familiar with their work from the later 90s onward, do you feel that Trey's opiate(s) problem led to a more noodley less tight Phish? I listened to a couple tunes from the farewell show that sounded just horrible.

That Red rocks show I was at as well. I remember the Purple Rain during the rain and bluish purple sky. My friend Jenny got hit by a cop car and a riot started. I think it was the night of this show. Ended up breaking her arm and all hell broke loose. I remember this cop telling us to move out of the way with his stomping horse, bottles flying through the air and the broad I was with flicking her cigarette in the cops face...nutty times. After that night it was decided Phish would not be allowed back.

She was a friend of yours? Wow. That's like rock n roll history there. It's a shame the band was never invited back, but they did give us one more good Red Rocks story on the 4th night to remember the place by.

That was a crazy 4 days.

To say the least. Ours involved sleeping next to the creek a few miles up the river road from Morrison, having our car towed and hitchhiking back to Boulder, and many other magic moments...
Because I'm a dumb###.

You might get a reprise yet :kicksrock:

Not being super familiar with their work from the later 90s onward, do you feel that Trey's opiate(s) problem led to a more noodley less tight Phish? I listened to a couple tunes from the farewell show that sounded just horrible.
Not sure...although being doped up will tend to take the life out of anyone. I speak from firsthand experience on this one. Their music was about energy and they seemed to have lost it in the 00s. I think things started going downhill around 1998-99. I also am positive Trey was taking opiates on an at least semi regular basis as early as fall of 1995...so who knows...

That Red rocks show I was at as well. I remember the Purple Rain during the rain and bluish purple sky. My friend Jenny got hit by a cop car and a riot started. I think it was the night of this show. Ended up breaking her arm and all hell broke loose. I remember this cop telling us to move out of the way with his stomping horse, bottles flying through the air and the broad I was with flicking her cigarette in the cops face...nutty times. After that night it was decided Phish would not be allowed back.

She was a friend of yours? Wow. That's like rock n roll history there. It's a shame the band was never invited back, but they did give us one more good Red Rocks story on the 4th night to remember the place by

That was a crazy 4 days.

To say the least. Ours involved sleeping next to the creek a few miles up the river road from Morrison, having our car towed and hitchhiking back to Boulder, and many other magic moments...
Yes, she wore horn-rimmed rhinestone black glasses. She was a regular as was I at most shows so we hung out quite a bit. I was right there when it all went down.

We all slept at a rest area just down the street. No tents or anything...just sleeping bags, chicks, booze and droogs.

This is just

Try to find a way to, but there's nothing I can say to make it stop.

Absolutely. I was at this one as well. I distinctly remember a Yamar and a Mango. Of all shows I had been to that year this was the hardest ticket bar none. Not sure why but it was next to impossible to get into. The park was all lit up like Christmas that night. Such a sick song.

ETA

No Yamar :lmao: Halley's Though :shrug:

Edited by Finless
I hate myself for frequently passing up the opportunity to see them in small clubs when I was in high school in the late 80s. As it turns out, one of my high school classmates ended up co-managing the band and Phish played his wedding.
1st time I saw them was in '89 at a club called the Blue Pelican in Newport, RI. Hardly anyone knew who they were, maybe 100 people tops. I remember thinking this is one of the weirdest bands Ive ever seen.

Gamehenge

One of my favorite things about Trey and Phish.

My favorite Phish show I attended included a fair amount of Gamehenge goodness. Sick David Bowie and Slave as well. I need to find this on the torrents / intarwebs.

12-30-93 Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME

1: David Bowie, Weigh, The Curtain-> Sample in a Jar, Paul and Silas, Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Famous Mockingbird, Rift, Bathtub Gin, Freebird

2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Mike's Song-> The Horse-> Silent in the Morning, Punch You in the Eye, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Weekapaug Groove-> Purple Rain, Slave to the Traffic Light

E: Rocky Top, Good Times Bad Times

This was one of the more memorable shows I caught:

Sunday, August 9, 1998

Virginia Beach Amphitheatre, Virginia Beach, VA

Set I: Punch You in the Eye, Bathtub Gin, The Lizards, The Moma Dance, Birds of a Feather, Esther, Roggae, Bouncing Around the Room, David Bowie

Set II: AC/DC Bag > Jam > Sparkle, Run Like an Antelope, Brian and Robert, Waste, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, You Enjoy Myself, Frankenstein, Chalk Dust Torture, Hello My Baby

Encore: Terrapin Station

Show Notes: Terrapin Station debuted at this show, as the band commemorated the third anniversary of Jerry Garcia's passing. AC/DC Bag included a tease of Black Sabbath's Electric Funeral. Somewhere Over the Rainbow was played for the first time since August 13, 1996 (152 shows).

This was the day before:

Saturday, August 8, 1998

Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD

Set I: The Wedge, NICU, Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley -> Guyute, Fikus, Farmhouse, Possum, Sweet Jane

Set II: Cavern, Also Sprach Zarathustra > Tela -> Piper, Sexual Healing > HYHU, Harry Hood

Encore: Sabotage

Show Notes: This show marked the debuts of Sweet Jane and Sabotage. This version of Piper is a fan favorite.

Edited by Alias

Love the Phish nostalgia goin on here. Lots of memories of bliss to recharge us anytime we need them... Island Tour was something out of a dream, December 1995 was probably the best single month in Phish history (any of you knuckleheads make the trip to Portland that year? or Lake (pl)acid?)

There is a reason our minds keep drifting back to these times... I have a feeling it will become clear very soon.

Love the Phish nostalgia goin on here. Lots of memories of bliss to recharge us anytime we need them... Island Tour was something out of a dream, December 1995 was probably the best single month in Phish history (any of you knuckleheads make the trip to Portland that year? or Lake (pl)acid?)

There is a reason our minds keep drifting back to these times... I have a feeling it will become clear very soon.

ROFL -- I was just telling my wife the other day about the knuckleheads who wrote the huge "Lake Acid" with footsteps in the snow on the frozen lake :lmao:

I also fondly remember sneaking into a wedding reception with some buddies after the show, tripping my face off, and sitting down for a drink with the bride's family who were all trashed. "So, what made you decide on this particular weekend, in this locale, for the wedding?" :lmao:

ETA: I was at that Portland show as well, after checking the setlist. Sweet Harry Hood, Tube(!), and Warren Haynes came out for the While My Guitar Gently Weeps encore :)

Edited by snitwitch

Love the Phish nostalgia goin on here. Lots of memories of bliss to recharge us anytime we need them... Island Tour was something out of a dream, December 1995 was probably the best single month in Phish history (any of you knuckleheads make the trip to Portland that year? or Lake (pl)acid?)There is a reason our minds keep drifting back to these times... I have a feeling it will become clear very soon.

I missed that Portland show, the Albany show and the Binghamton show. Made Hershey, New Haven, Amherst, Niagra, Cleveland, Providence, Philly and the Lake Placid shows.Those Lake Placid shows were so frigid. I remember looking for battery powered socks. Inside was interesting. I remember sitting on bleachers. Even though it was obscenely cold those shows were a blast. After the shows and before the NYE run we stayed in some seriously pimped out cabins in Lake Placid. These things had jacuzzi's, pool tables, juke boxes...totally decked out. A friend's family owned them. I just remember all these heads worried about how they were getting home or what they were going to do for the next 10 days and within hours of the second show ending I'm soaking in a jacuzzi with a couple buddies and 3 hotties.
Because I'm a dumb###.

You might get a reprise yet :thumbup:

Rocked that 4 days like never before.