What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers moving (1 Viewer)

cracKer

Shawn Culcasi
Santa Clara or somewhere else in California

can't get a stadium in San Francisco and their lease ends after 2008

Here's a link:

The Mercury News

Is 49ers owner John York using the threat of a move in an attempt to have the city cough up some stadium bucks? I don't know much about Bay-area politics, but I have the impression the city of San Francisco is one of the least likely to put up tax dollars to build a stadium.

The A's are moving to the Santa Clara border....Magowan turned down almost $500M to give up rights to San Jose...dunno how much cash the south bay has to cough up for two new stadiums.

York is hated in SF. Even if he could put a winner on the field, the public would not support a publicy funded stadium. He better take his $100M in public funds, be happy with it, and build it in SF. :angry:

Here's a link:

The Mercury News

Is 49ers owner John York using the threat of a move in an attempt to have the city cough up some stadium bucks? I don't know much about Bay-area politics, but I have the impression the city of San Francisco is one of the least likely to put up tax dollars to build a stadium.
It took several attempts but San Francisco finally voted to partially fund a stadium in the mid-1990s during the Willie Brown era. The idea was to build a new stadium next to the current one and also develop some sort of super mall there. The whole thing was a debacle. The city is unlikely to fund the project or any new project without another vote and that vote would likely fail. Almost certainly. I'll see if I can find an article that provides a better history than I am recalling off the top of my head.

A little more info from last summer...

49ers unveil plans for stadium

By Dennis Georgatos

SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS

776 words

18 July 2006

Contra Costa Times (Walnut Creek, CA)

F4

English

© Copyright 2006, Contra Costa Times. All Rights Reserved.

SAN FRANCISCO

The 49ers unveiled a preliminary design for a new stadium Monday and said they intend to build it on the vacant bayfront land next to 46-year-old Monster Park, the NFL's oldest facility.

For the first time in the long-stalled process, the 49ers also publicly outlined a timeline for construction that would have the team playing in the new stadium by 2012 and a cost estimate ranging from $600 million to $800 million.

The news conference to announce the plans was one of the few tangible signs of progress in the decade-long effort to build a replacement for the aging park.

49ers vice president Lisa Lang said all the team's efforts were concentrated on making the San Francisco site work. But she acknowledged that a parking lot across the street from the 49ers' Santa Clara headquarters has been selected as a backup site should the plans for Candlestick Point fall through.

"We aren't looking at Santa Clara right now," Lang said. "We're spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a month on the effort to make this work at Candlestick Point. If there's a point where there is a significant barrier that we just can't surmount, then we'd have to make a decision. But we've had a great working relationship with the city. We feel very positive as we move ahead."

Voters in San Francisco gave the go-ahead for a new stadium and mall project in 1997. They also approved a $100 million bond measure to help finance the new stadium, but soaring cost projections led team owners John and Denise York to put that on hold in 1998 soon after they assumed control of the club.

Under the current scenario, the 49ers do not intend to use the taxpayer-backed bond to replace the park, in which the team has played since 1971. The club plans to arrange private financing for the stadium, including a contribution in the "hundreds of millions of dollars" from the York family as well as up to $150 million from an NFL stadium fund, Lang said.

The 49ers' development partner, Lennar Corp., is conducting a feasibility study for a mixed-use development around the new stadium that would include housing, shops and other entertainment and retail outlets. Results of that study are expected by September and will figure in the team's ability to generate private financing for the project.

The 49ers say the current plan is consistent with the one approved by voters nine years ago, so they don't think there is a need to submit it to another vote.

"We're very aware that there are challenges ahead of us," Lang said. "But we are absolutely determined to have a new stadium for our fans and our players. That's what we're focused on and that's what we're going to deliver."

There are several potential obstacles to the stadium's construction, including:

A member of the public could object to the project, saying it has changed too much since it was approved.

If Lennar's study shows building on the site wouldn't be profitable, Lennar and the team might decide not to go forward.

The city still needs to conduct a thorough review of the project, including an environmental review. Snags in that process could hold up or stop construction.

Private financing has yet to be secured.

Lang said the team hopes to break ground on the new stadium Jan. 1, 2010.

The preliminary design by the HNTB architectural firm, which was hired in March, calls for a 68,000-seat stadium that could be expandable to 80,000 seats, making it possible for the facility to play host to the Olympic opening and closing ceremonies.

Other features include an open end on the north side to allow a view of the San Francisco skyline, a large promenade, and a design that would put the majority of seats in the lower bowl.

Luxury suites would be arranged in a stack on one side of the stadium, topped by a press box.

Tony Gonzales, an HNTB vice president, said architects visited stadiums throughout the world before drawing up plans for the 49ers' new park.

"We have a wonderful start here," he said. "We've taken the best of the best from throughout the world, whether it's an urban setting or fan experience issue. We feel this is an incredible site and an incredible city and we are really looking to make this an incredible stadium."

Very sad news.

The Sharks have thrived in the South Bay, hopefully the Niners can do the same. It'd be pretty gross if they moved to LA.

I'm a diehard Niner's fan, and I actually think this is a good move. Candlestick/3Com/Monster/whatever it's called has been having problems for years. I can't tell you how many games I've watched and seen problems with the turf not holding up because of the soil conditions down near the bay. The Giants moving out helped, but the whole stadium needs to be renovated from the ground up. I think it would be cheaper to just move.

If they do move, I hope they stay in the area as the 'San Francisco' 49ers. Anything else really wouldn't make sense.

I'm also on board as thinking that this is ultimately the best move for the team. They have a better chance of building a state-of-the-art stadium and providing a better overall fan experience. They'll have as much support from the South Bay as they do now from the city of SF- if not more.

If the Giants and the Jets can play in a stadium that is not in the same state as the city they are representing, then the Niners can play in a stadium 30 miles down the road.

As a niner fan, GOOOOOOREEEEEEEE, I wouldn't be upset if they moved the team. As long as they keep the team name the same and they don't move them to Anhiem (sp?) or LA. Santa Clara would be just fine...

Go Niners. BEAT THE F'ING LIONS!!!

A few things...

- York is adamant about staying in the bay area, so LA is not an option.

- Yes, it definitely seems like a ploy by York to get some funds.

- Gavin Newsom is in a real pickle. This is how I see the situation:

Newsom is attempting to get the 2016 Olympic Games in San Francisco, so it's very difficult for him to justify building a new stadium in 2008 when he believes he can wait another 8 years and kill two birds with one stone. Not sure when the decision will be made by the Olympic Committee to determine the 2016 location, but IMHO York is best to wait until then before taking his marbles to someone else's playground.

Anyone know how far in advance the Olympic Committee decides on locations?

COME TO SACRAMENTO!!

you know.. another thing to think about is that they might just be using Santa Clara and LA as a measure of leverage the same way Al Davis did with Sacramento.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2016 olympics are supposed to be determined by 2009, so SF would probably need to have stadium financing in the works and approved by then to be a serious contender.

Frankly, I hope the Niners get moved out of the area. If they don't want the team, fine, plenty of other areas would. I mean, if a team can leave Cleveland, they can leave anywhere.

Do you guys realize who holds the purse strings of this country now? The Niners aren't going anywhere.

Are you suggesting that federal funds will be spent on a stadium in SF? Is that a common occurrence with NFL stadiums? I thought it was usually a state/local thing.

derek19 said:
As a niner fan, GOOOOOOREEEEEEEE, I wouldn't be upset if they moved the team. As long as they keep the team name the same and they don't move them to Anhiem (sp?) or LA. Santa Clara would be just fine...

Go Niners. BEAT THE F'ING LIONS!!!
Looks like they will keep the San Francisco name.The 49ers announced Thursday that they will be moving from San Francisco to Santa Clara by 2012, but will retain the name "San Francisco 49ers."

Owner John York called Candlestick Park "the oldest and worst stadium" in the NFL during a press conference.

Source: NBCSports.com

DeBartolo woulda had this done 5 years ago, and kept 'em in SF. You can take that to the bank.

York and Denise moving the Niners, because the longer term plan is not to spend money, much less find any brainpower within themselves to muster a good team going forward... so at least a newer fanbase and shiny stadium replete with Gilroy Garlic Fries, Saratoga wineries, and so forth... will keep the seats full (for a couple years, at least).

I hope they move to Santa Clara as well. Candlestick is horrible to get in and out of.

On the topic of the Olympics, I dont know how SF is going to win it. I read that the plans are for the Olympic Village to be in Hunter's Point (area around Candlestick). Only problem is, that's the ghetto of San Francisco.

It would be almost like if LA won the Olympics and put everything in Compton.

DeBartolo woulda had this done 5 years ago, and kept 'em in SF. You can take that to the bank.

York and Denise moving the Niners, because the longer term plan is not to spend money, much less find any brainpower within themselves to muster a good team going forward... so at least a newer fanbase and shiny stadium replete with Gilroy Garlic Fries, Saratoga wineries, and so forth... will keep the seats full (for a couple years, at least).
:goodposting:

I hope they move to Santa Clara as well. Candlestick is horrible to get in and out of.On the topic of the Olympics, I dont know how SF is going to win it. I read that the plans are for the Olympic Village to be in Hunter's Point (area around Candlestick). Only problem is, that's the ghetto of San Francisco. It would be almost like if LA won the Olympics and put everything in Compton.
I agree. I think they have the notion that they can bridge the burgeoning China Basin area with Hunters Point and develop up and down 3rd Street. I don't see how that can happen, though. Cities need low-income housing, and even Hunters Point ghe-toe houses are going for $400-500,000.

Are you suggesting that federal funds will be spent on a stadium in SF? Is that a common occurrence with NFL stadiums? I thought it was usually a state/local thing.
I'm suggesting that federal matching funds will be channelled to another project where federal dollars are allowed and local funds diverted to a stadium.

I also think the 49ers moving is good idea. As long as they stay in the Bay Area it would be for the best. Alot of 9er fans don't live in San Francisco anyway, if they moved it might make alot of commutes to the ballpark shorter or easier for alot of fans.

Getting in and out of Candlestick for 49ers games was one of the worst transportation experiences ever. Hopefully the new stadium will be a little better set up. From what York said, it wasn't stadium financing that was the hurdle in SF but building public transportation to more adequately support it that's been a dealbreaker

Users who are viewing this thread