What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What does the confederate flag mean to you? (1 Viewer)

oddball

Smart
A few blocks away from my house there is a house on a corner that planted a homemade flagpole on the corner of his property and flys a confederate flag. This flag flys day and night. No big trees nearby, so its very easy to see while driving down either street. Whats the FBG play here?

What does the confederate flag represent to you? Please include the state you grew up in with your answer.

To me, the confederate flag represents an illogical reminescence to a bygone white aristocracy that was built upon the evil institution of slavery.

And I'm a descendent of a confederate general who helped promote the "The South will rise again" message during the antebellum.

Just because some racists hijacked the confederate flag as their symbol of choice doesn't mean that everyone who flies that flag is a racist. Many in the south hold on to history and tradition and the confederate flag is a part of their history and tradition.

I grew up in Michigan and I've never spent any great deal of time in the south. To me it represents the Dukes of Hazard. I've never known anyone that flys a confederate flag, nor even hung around people that do (that I know of). So... essentially I have no opinion on it... I guess I just felt like typing.

A few blocks away from my house there is a house on a corner that planted a homemade flagpole on the corner of his property and flys a confederate flag. This flag flys day and night. No big trees nearby, so its very easy to see while driving down either street. Whats the FBG play here?What does the confederate flag represent to you? Please include the state you grew up in with your answer.
to me, it represents the following:1. Lack of education - I don't think I've ever seen a college grad flying this flag (outside of O'le Miss grads, and their education is questionable at best).2. Regional pride3. willful ignorance to history - This flag was appropriate >140 years ago, it means nothing now.4. racism - there is no way that the confederate flags racial undertones can be ignored.Oh, and I grew up in Wyoming.

Good Southern Rock-n-Roll!

And ignorance......of people that think it is a racist symbol.

I was raised in Upstate NY.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in Lansing IL (30 min south of Chicago) and went to TF South. We are the TF South REBELS! The flag used to be our rebel flag used to be on a sign right on top of our school until about 1998 or so (dont remember the exact year), when people started complaining...its always just been a flag representing our school to me!

Assuming you live in a sub-division, check your plat to see if he built his flagpole in an easement or R/W and if he did, then report him. Check your covanents too - there could be an ordinance against the flagpole as well.

Grew up in New York, can't help think of racist and the KKK when I see it. But other then that it means nothing of value to me.

Just because some racists hijacked the confederate flag as their symbol of choice doesn't mean that everyone who flies that flag is a racist. Many in the south hold on to history and tradition and the confederate flag is a part of their history and tradition.
You mean, their history and tradition of being racists?

I see you live in NC. You think everyone from the south is/was racist?

It's easier for him that way. Less to think about.

The south was racist. Those that dream about the past "greatness" of Southern history and tradition are reminiscing about a culture of racism.

The south was racist. Those that dream about the past "greatness" of Southern history and tradition are reminiscing about a culture of racism.
I don't deny a culture of racism. But do you think that was the case with everyone?

Actually I've probably thought too much about my family's history and what kinds of actions I must do to make up for the sins of my family name.

Reminds me of a dude I went to highschool with. Drove a souped-up Monte Carlo SS with a huge rebel flag covering the backseat and a license plate frame that read : "American by birth - Southern by the grace of God." The fact that he was born and raised in New Jersey and had never been south of Atlantic City didn't seem to matter to him.

Not long afterwards, I spent hours convincing him that he needed Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mud flaps on his back tires. So, he had that going for him. Which was nice.

To me, the Confed flag = dumb ###, ignornant, racist. I don't buy the argument that the flag shows pride in the confederacy - I think that is just what people say when they don't want to sound like racists.

Maryland.

No, it doesn't automatically mean they are a racist. But certainly they have no room to be suprised if people assume as much.

Actually I've probably thought too much about my family's history and what kinds of actions I must do to make up for the sins of my family name.
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: right back at you if you think the only thing it means is "southern heritige/pride" and has no racial significance.

:rolleyes: right back at you if you think the only thing it means is "southern heritige/pride" and has no racial significance.
Sweet!! Another race/religion/politcs thread!! It is FRIDAY, not Monday...how bout some trivia, movie lines, nekkid women....you know FUN stuff?

The Confederate Battle Flag to me represents the Confederate soldier that fought to protect his family and home from an invading northern army. Unfortunately the flag was used (and is still used) by hate groups and that has forever changed how most people see the flag. But, as a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans it is my duty to fight against this image.

South Carolina by the way.

Why? Why should you feel guilty about something your great great grandfather did to someone else's great great grandfather? I'll wager you've never personally kept a slave. What sins do you have to atone for? This is a mentality that I'll never understand.
That's a pretty broad brush you paint with. I don't think it's as black and white (pardon the metaphore) as you make it out to be - the world I live in is a little more grey

it is what people want it to be.people can make the symbol of a cross a racial symbol or a symbol of peace.seems to me that when considering what it is, you should consider what the original users of the symbol wanted it to stand for.

I don't deny a culture of racism. But do you think that was the case with everyone?
It doesn't matter if that wasn't the case with every single person. It was with the majority. And the confederate flag was the symbol that majority of southern, white, racists chose to represent themselves. So for a non-racist person to claim that they can fly the confederate flag because it represents the non-racist parts of the southern heritage is either woefully ignorant or ridiculous.

To me, the confederate flag represents an illogical reminescence to a bygone white aristocracy that was built upon the evil institution of slavery.And I'm a descendent of a confederate general who helped promote the "The South will rise again" message during the antebellum.
That's what I was going to say.............

Sweet!! Another race/religion/politcs thread!! It is FRIDAY, not Monday...how bout some trivia, movie lines, nekkid women....you know FUN stuff?
I tried to post something humorous, but it looks like it's going to get lost in yet another racism debate.

The Confederate Battle Flag to me represents the Confederate soldier that fought to protect his family and home from an invading northern army. Unfortunately the flag was used (and is still used) by hate groups and that has forever changed how most people see the flag. But, as a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans it is my duty to fight against this image.

I remember there was a lengthy debate about this a while back and you told me about this organization. I was very impressed. :thumbup:

To me, the confederate flag represents an illogical reminescence to a bygone white aristocracy that was built upon the evil institution of slavery.And I'm a descendent of a confederate general who helped promote the "The South will rise again" message during the antebellum.
That's what I was going to say.............
by those standards the American flag is a racist symbol also.

When you say confederate flag do you mean the battle flag, ie stars and bars, ie battle flag of the army of virginia? or do you mean the 1st, 2nd or 3rd national confederate flag.

South Carolina

We are accused of being ignorant, but we do know our history and take pride in it.

I remember there was a lengthy debate about this a while back and you told me about this organization. I was very impressed. :thumbup:
i am going to run for cover in case the foundation starts to shake....because i am going to agree with pantagrapher. :thumbup:

Why? Why should you feel guilty about something your great great grandfather did to someone else's great great grandfather? I'll wager you've never personally kept a slave. What sins do you have to atone for? This is a mentality that I'll never understand.
I've gone back and forth on this quite a bit. I didn't say that I had come to a definitive conclusion. Just that I had thought a lot about it. And the "too much" part means exactly that. I've thought about it more than it was probably worth. But doesn't one normally want to have pride in their family? I met one relative who changed the spelling of his last name to disassociate himself from our family history.
That's a pretty broad brush you paint with. I don't think it's as black and white (pardon the metaphore) as you make it out to be - the world I live in is a little more grey
But some things are just so horrible and unjust that it is best to avoid the appearance of being associated with it, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread