What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (5 Viewers)

Sorry for spamming but thoughts on where the fighters go win or lose?If Silva wins or loses I don't see much changing for him. He won't retire cuz he'll look like Chael's #####. He'll angle for another shot at Chael if he loses.If Chael wins I wonder if he gives Silva another shot. If Chael loses I don't think he really leaves.I think after the fight either way these guys make nice.
Definitely a rematch if Silva losses. If Sonnen loses, hopefully he shuts the #### up.
But if Silva loses it's gonna be by majority decision (says me). And that means two Silva/Sonnen fights where Silva got dominated. Still a rematch?
If Silva wants it, yes. This fight is going to sell a lot. A trilogy would be money in the bank, if Sonnen wins. If Silva kicks the crap out of him its over at 185 for Chael and a title shot until Silva retires and even then it might be too late. This is his last shot.

What are the prop bets on that? Silva in first (TKO). Sonnen by majority decision.
Just to make sure you have this right if you are thinking of betting:unanimous decision - all 3 judges give you the fightsplit decision = 2 of 3 judges give you the fight, the other judge rules for your opponentmajority decision - 2 of the 3 judges give you the fight, the other calls it a draw (pretty rare)majority draw - 2 of the 3 judges rule it a draw, one gives it to one of the fighter (exceedingly rare. Fitch/BJ Penn was the most well-known one)99% of decisions are unanimous or split.

What are the prop bets on that? Silva in first (TKO). Sonnen by majority decision.
Just to make sure you have this right if you are thinking of betting:unanimous decision - all 3 judges give you the fightsplit decision = 2 of 3 judges give you the fight, the other judge rules for your opponentmajority decision - 2 of the 3 judges give you the fight, the other calls it a draw (pretty rare)majority draw - 2 of the 3 judges rule it a draw, one gives it to one of the fighter (exceedingly rare. Fitch/BJ Penn was the most well-known one)99% of decisions are unanimous or split.
Thanks. Meant unanimous for Sonnen.

Sorry for spamming but thoughts on where the fighters go win or lose?If Silva wins or loses I don't see much changing for him. He won't retire cuz he'll look like Chael's #####. He'll angle for another shot at Chael if he loses.If Chael wins I wonder if he gives Silva another shot. If Chael loses I don't think he really leaves.I think after the fight either way these guys make nice.
Definitely a rematch if Silva losses. If Sonnen loses, hopefully he shuts the #### up.
If Sonnen gets a dominant win, like he was on pace to in the 1st fight, I am not sure if Silva would want a rematch.

There seems to be good value on Sonnen at +250, imo.

I don't see why Silva's takedown defense would be drastically improved for this fight.

edit: Sonnen was +325 for the first fight, surprised that the line moved so little

Last edited by a moderator:
If Sonnen gets a dominant win, like he was on pace to in the 1st fight, I am not sure if Silva would want a rematch.
Alright, you guys and this whole Sonnen has a chance to win have officially gone off the deep end. Silva was considered the top pound for pound fighter up to a year ago, and if not for Jon Jones storming through people he would still be considered there. Chael Sonnen barely beat Mike Bisping. I know the match-up is good for Chael, but to think Sonnen comes out and dominates Silva (i see almost 0 chance that Sonnen can stop Anderson by KO, TKO or submission) is just silly. Yes, he definitely was up 4-0 going into the 5th round the last time they fought, but to think Silva would be avoiding a rematch with Chael if he loses is just insane. And if Chael was wittier (i like his humour, but he swings and misses a lot with his insults) he would walk out with Jean Claude Van-Damme to counter the Steven Seagal effect. Now that would be good

Sorry for spamming but thoughts on where the fighters go win or lose?

If Silva wins or loses I don't see much changing for him. He won't retire cuz he'll look like Chael's #####. He'll angle for another shot at Chael if he loses.

If Chael wins I wonder if he gives Silva another shot. If Chael loses I don't think he really leaves.

I think after the fight either way these guys make nice.
Alright, you guys and this whole Sonnen has a chance to win have officially gone off the deep end. Silva was considered the top pound for pound fighter up to a year ago, and if not for Jon Jones storming through people he would still be considered there. Chael Sonnen barely beat Mike Bisping. I know the match-up is good for Chael, but to think Sonnen comes out and dominates Silva (i see almost 0 chance that Sonnen can stop Anderson by KO, TKO or submission) is just silly. Yes, he definitely was up 4-0 going into the 5th round the last time they fought, but to think Silva would be avoiding a rematch with Chael if he loses is just insane. And if Chael was wittier (i like his humour, but he swings and misses a lot with his insults) he would walk out with Jean Claude Van-Damme to counter the Steven Seagal effect. Now that would be good
:goodposting: Lets see how well Sonnen does without his "medication". Funny how his suspension is completely overlooked.

Sonnen dominated Silva for 4 rounds. Unless the fighters greatly changed since then (which I don't what has), I don't see how that the previous fight isn't one of the best tools for predicting the rematch. Sonnen is still on TRT.

Sorry for spamming but thoughts on where the fighters go win or lose?

If Silva wins or loses I don't see much changing for him. He won't retire cuz he'll look like Chael's #####. He'll angle for another shot at Chael if he loses.

If Chael wins I wonder if he gives Silva another shot. If Chael loses I don't think he really leaves.

I think after the fight either way these guys make nice.
:goodposting: Lets see how well Sonnen does without his "medication". Funny how his suspension is completely overlooked.
Make no mistake, he is still on the TRT, he will just have to pay closer attention to his test levels. He will have an advantage in the testosterone department on fight night compared to Silva.

Silva didn't want to fight Sonnen in a rematch when Sonnen is the #1 contender AND made the most sense financially (outside of GSP.) If Sonnen were to dominate him and win the rematch, I question how disheartened Silva would be and his willingness to deal with Sonnen again for a 3rd fight. Not because he's scared of Sonnen, but Silva probably wouldn't want to deal with Sonnen's antics again.

Silva didn't want to fight Sonnen in a rematch when Sonnen is the #1 contender AND made the most sense financially (outside of GSP.) If Sonnen were to dominate him and win the rematch, I question how disheartened Silva would be and his willingness to deal with Sonnen again for a 3rd fight. Not because he's scared of Sonnen, but Silva probably wouldn't want to deal with Sonnen's antics again.
i think it is a totally different story is Silva loses. If Silva doesn't want an immediate rematch, i don't know why he would still be fighting in the UFC. i think his avoidance for this upcoming fight was like you mention above, but i do question why he wanted to avoid it so much too considering the amount of money he'll make from PPV sales that Chael does an excellent job promoting

i think it is a totally different story is Silva loses. If Silva doesn't want an immediate rematch, i don't know why he would still be fighting in the UFC. i think his avoidance for this upcoming fight was like you mention above, but i do question why he wanted to avoid it so much too considering the amount of money he'll make from PPV sales that Chael does an excellent job promoting
My only guess is that Silva and his camp think Sonnen is legit crazy and fear what he would do publicly. Talk trash about Silva or Soares family members, bring out actual skeletons in their closets for their private lives, who knows. Sonnen is likely to up the ante each time and they have no idea where the line is for him.

I didn't catch it initially, but you can see Silva tell Sonnen "You're going to die" when he caused a scene at the stare down.

Dana will have a whole crew on hand at the weigh in because Anderson will do something ridiculous. Remember the phantom of the opera mask he used with Vitor? He is going to try to get clever with Chael and I bet it blows up in his face.

I think there's no question Silva doesn't want anything to do with Sonnen on a PR level or in the ring if he can avoid it. I think Chael knew that and that's why all the talk. I don't think Chael fought his way into a rematch so much as talked his way into it.

Look at Silva's reaction after the first fight. He's on his knees bowing in front of Sonnen. Take that for what you want but I think Silva was just relieved and thought it was over and wanted to make amends or a clean break or whatever. But it wasn't over and I don't know that Silva wants to go through this whole thing again for Silva/Sonnen III. But who could sit there and listen to Chael say he's the one that retired Silva?

I dunno. The whole thing is interesting from pre-fight through post-right we'll all be watching.

I think there's no question Silva doesn't want anything to do with Sonnen on a PR level or in the ring if he can avoid it. I think Chael knew that and that's why all the talk. I don't think Chael fought his way into a rematch so much as talked his way into it.

Look at Silva's reaction after the first fight. He's on his knees bowing in front of Sonnen. Take that for what you want but I think Silva was just relieved and thought it was over and wanted to make amends or a clean break or whatever. But it wasn't over and I don't know that Silva wants to go through this whole thing again for Silva/Sonnen III. But who could sit there and listen to Chael say he's the one that retired Silva?

I dunno. The whole thing is interesting from pre-fight through post-right we'll all be watching.
:confused: Anderson always bows to his opponents after a fight.

Here's a pic of him on bending the knee to James Irvin:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/galleries/2008/jul/19/silva-gets-win/1935/

:confused: Anderson always bows to his opponents after a fight.

Here's a pic of him on bending the knee to James Irvin:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/galleries/2008/jul/19/silva-gets-win/1935/
Thanks, had no idea. I still he was pretty relieved.

Can anyone give me reason not to buy Cody McKenzie for his fight? That line seems really off.
Well, he has one move he can catch Chad with, the gable grip guillotine choke.Chad isn't much of a finisher so I think Cody gets 3-4 attempts at it in 15 minutes and I think he pulls off the sub due to his size, reach advantage, and determination.Cody hasn't showed us much for other skills, but he hasn't had much for full camps either. I think the one hit wonder hits his note once again.

Can anyone give me reason not to buy Cody McKenzie for his fight? That line seems really off.
Well, he has one move he can catch Chad with, the gable grip guillotine choke.Chad isn't much of a finisher so I think Cody gets 3-4 attempts at it in 15 minutes and I think he pulls off the sub due to his size, reach advantage, and determination.Cody hasn't showed us much for other skills, but he hasn't had much for full camps either. I think the one hit wonder hits his note once again.
Anxiously awaiting your full write up for this card... :thumbup:

Wow, really? I guess if you get him around +400 you could justify a small play, but i was thinking of taking Mendes tomorrow even with the huge line. Mendes is better in every single facet of the fight over Mckenzie. I mean he literally only has one move to win the fight, and it isn't like it is that impossible to avoid. I mean we're not talking Palharres here with some guy who has some skill and has one great move, we are talking Mckenzie who literally has one move. He also trained with team Alpha Male for a month or 2, so i have to imagine the guys there learned a little about Cody's guillotine.

One fight i'm having a tough time figuring out is Griffin-Ortiz. I am pretty sure the fight won't be too entertaining, but i really don't know who will win that one

Can anyone describe the Dolce diet to me in 2-3 sentences. I'm watching an interview with him (http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/7/5/3140187/mike-dolce-explains-how-chael-sonnen-will-lose-20-pounds-in-24-hours), and he is bragging about how Chael has to lose 20 pounds before the weigh-in tomorrow. He does a great job of self-promoting, but i can't figure out the legitimacy of his diet. I just can't figure out how having to lose 20 pounds in 24 hours is the best way to prepare for you body for a title fight.

I think my skepticism is with Dolce himself, and with his presentation. I have a hard time figuring out that this guy has figured out this magic formula with dieting and cutting weight that years of scientific research and experts in the nutrition industry seem to be completely missing. And i can't imagine how cutting 20 pounds in 24 hours is the healthiest way to prepare for a fight. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Can anyone describe the Dolce diet to me in 2-3 sentences. I'm watching an interview with him (http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/7/5/3140187/mike-dolce-explains-how-chael-sonnen-will-lose-20-pounds-in-24-hours), and he is bragging about how Chael has to lose 20 pounds before the weigh-in tomorrow. He does a great job of self-promoting, but i can't figure out the legitimacy of his diet. I just can't figure out how having to lose 20 pounds in 24 hours is the best way to prepare for you body for a title fight.

I think my skepticism is with Dolce himself, and with his presentation. I have a hard time figuring out that this guy has figured out this magic formula with dieting and cutting weight that years of scientific research and experts in the nutrition industry seem to be completely missing. And i can't imagine how cutting 20 pounds in 24 hours is the healthiest way to prepare for a fight. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Agreed. I always thought the "advantage" to the Dolce diet was not having to cut so much in the couple of days before the fight. Instead, the diet would leave you with a more manageable cut. Oh well.And I've never seen anything about the actual diet either.

If Chael wins on Saturday, it's because of his rough upbringing:http://www.cagepotato.com/west-linn-oregon-is-basically-compton-x-1000000-chaelsanity/
Dear god. I had no idea dude had it like that growing up. Traumatizing. Really puts things in perspective. Wow. :scared:

Agreed. Read this this morning and wondered what the heck he was talking about. I thought Dolce's whole system was a gradual loss the entire week.

I'm also pretty confused about Dolce's system. Here is the quote

"We're going to relax for a little bit and then we're going to check his weight and we're going to start to break a sweat. We're not going to work it off, we're not going to run it off, we're not going to grapple it off or hit pads. We're not going to put on plastics or step in the sauna; right now, we've prepared the body through scientific method to start releasing the weight. We've increased the metabolism, we've increased the core temperature -- he's sweating right now talking. His body is purging the weight in the most healthy manner possible. What I was able to do was find a system that allows these athletes to lose weight in a healthy manner, give the athletes what they need and then the body does what we want it to do instead of the opposite."
It sounds like supplements are a big part of it. They better know what the hell they're doing.

"We're going to relax for a little bit and then we're going to check his weight and we're going to start to break a sweat. We're not going to work it off, we're not going to run it off, we're not going to grapple it off or hit pads. We're not going to put on plastics or step in the sauna; right now, we've prepared the body through scientific method to start releasing the weight. We've increased the metabolism, we've increased the core temperature -- he's sweating right now talking. His body is purging the weight in the most healthy manner possible. What I was able to do was find a system that allows these athletes to lose weight in a healthy manner, give the athletes what they need and then the body does what we want it to do instead of the opposite."
It sounds like supplements are a big part of it. They better know what the hell they're doing.
How do you get supplements from that quote?

:shrug:

My picks:

Sonnen (unanimous).

Ortiz (TKO)

Kim (inside distance)

Gilliard (TKO)

Fukuda (decision)

Cote (TKO)

Wow, really? I guess if you get him around +400 you could justify a small play, but i was thinking of taking Mendes tomorrow even with the huge line. Mendes is better in every single facet of the fight over Mckenzie. I mean he literally only has one move to win the fight, and it isn't like it is that impossible to avoid. I mean we're not talking Palharres here with some guy who has some skill and has one great move, we are talking Mckenzie who literally has one move. He also trained with team Alpha Male for a month or 2, so i have to imagine the guys there learned a little about Cody's guillotine.
I cap Mendes at like -300 and think is he is more skilled in every single department. But be has short, stubby arms and Cody is going to have about an 8" reach and a big frame to work with, with the drop to 145. I don't think the reach is going to be worth a darn in the striking department but if he can get close enough to Chad to attempt the choke, it is over.The definition of a one trick pony, but I think he has Chad's number in this one.

One fight i'm having a tough time figuring out is Griffin-Ortiz. I am pretty sure the fight won't be too entertaining, but i really don't know who will win that one
Tito looked really bad taking body shots from Lil Nog in his last fight, really bad. If he has some sort of long term sternum damage he won't last long at all. In Forrest's book he talks about how he gameplanned for Rampage and was able to time him and land body shot after body shot.I like Tito as the big dog at this stage in their careers but I hope injuries aren't once again more to overcome.

I think Tito can control Griffin with his takedowns. And I think he finishes him later with strikes. But Tito's cardio is suspect to me. He seems to get uber-emotional and come out strong and then get worse as the fights go on if I remember right. I'm actually picking against Le for that reason.

If Tito can take Griffin down I think that helps Tito's cardio and thus he'll last. I think Tito wins a boring, control-oriented fight with just enough to end it on strikes from guard late in the fight.

The stuff you put in bold is done through ketogenic dieting (extreme low carb) and calorie restriction. It's a natural scientific method for dropping water weight (dehydrating) without all the saunas and spitting. Basically a day on zero carb will cause a switch in metabolism (from the Krebb's cycle) to ketone bodies which purge water weight. GSP did a video where he went ketogenic five days before a fight, dropped 20 pounds, and carbbed after the weigh in. Dolce isn't anti-carb but he is close to anti-supplements and tells stories of getting fighters off the processed shakes and hands full of pills they take. He approves of fish oil, flax, vitamin D and that's about it. He's basically a health food junkie with an Atkins induction trick in his bag for making weight.

“I am not an advocate of supplements, although, supplements do make their way into my program towards the very end once we made sure we have a very high level of whole, earth grown nutrients,” Mike says. The only supplements he supports are all natural ones, like fish oil or flax seed. “Any other supplements out there, sports supplements – I’m not the guy. We can get all the same nutrients and a better level of nutrients through whole foods.” If you want to get big, it’s all about “calories in versus calories out.” Mike advocates eating “mom meals” when trying to gain muscle, foods like chicken, broccoli, potatoes, steak, etc. The caveat is “you have to make sure your food source is of a very high quality.”

I think Tito can control Griffin with his takedowns. And I think he finishes him later with strikes. But Tito's cardio is suspect to me. He seems to get uber-emotional and come out strong and then get worse as the fights go on if I remember right. I'm actually picking against Le for that reason.

If Tito can take Griffin down I think that helps Tito's cardio and thus he'll last. I think Tito wins a boring, control-oriented fight with just enough to end it on strikes from guard late in the fight.
I believe you're thinking about Tito from 10 years ago. Here is a link to the stats breakdown. You'll see that Tito averages 2.3 takedowns per 15 minutes and is only successful on 34% of them. I'm not sure how far back these stats go but I'd venture to guess that they are buoyed by his earlier performances in the UFC. He was completely abused in his last two fights and while Forrest might not be on the level of Evans and Nog, he is no slouch.In their last fight, Tito was 6 of 18 on takedowns and 6 of 24 in their first meeting. I believe that they'll be even worse this fight. Even if he does get him down, he isn't going to be able to do anything.

We're talking about a guy who has one win since '06 and that was nothing more than a lucky punch.

Forrest keeps it standing enough to win by decision.

was this the diet person shane carwin used to fight jr?

if so i was not very impressed with the result.

he dropped weight for sure but it looked like it was at the expense of a lot of muscle.

he just looked like a smaller version of himself where dropping 20 plus pounds should have shown a lot of fat loss.

The stuff you put in bold is done through ketogenic dieting (extreme low carb) and calorie restriction. It's a natural scientific method for dropping water weight (dehydrating) without all the saunas and spitting. Basically a day on zero carb will cause a switch in metabolism (from the Krebb's cycle) to ketone bodies which purge water weight. GSP did a video where he went ketogenic five days before a fight, dropped 20 pounds, and carbbed after the weigh in. Dolce isn't anti-carb but he is close to anti-supplements and tells stories of getting fighters off the processed shakes and hands full of pills they take. He approves of fish oil, flax, vitamin D and that's about it. He's basically a health food junkie with an Atkins induction trick in his bag for making weight.

“I am not an advocate of supplements, although, supplements do make their way into my program towards the very end once we made sure we have a very high level of whole, earth grown nutrients,” Mike says. The only supplements he supports are all natural ones, like fish oil or flax seed. “Any other supplements out there, sports supplements – I’m not the guy. We can get all the same nutrients and a better level of nutrients through whole foods.” If you want to get big, it’s all about “calories in versus calories out.” Mike advocates eating “mom meals” when trying to gain muscle, foods like chicken, broccoli, potatoes, steak, etc. The caveat is “you have to make sure your food source is of a very high quality.”
:thumbup: Thanks. I didn't know any of that, obviously. Sounded very strange to hear someone say they can increase core temp and have you sweat while you just talk without something fishy going on. Didn't know that something fishy was just good ol' fashioned fish oil.

Sensie Steven Segal on what he has been teaching Anderson this fight camp

"About two or three things. I really don't want to tip it. I'm sure this guy's not stupid. It's stuff that, maybe we thought was illegal, that's not illegal, and stuff like that."

"About two or three things. I really don't want to tip it. I'm sure this guy's not stupid. It's stuff that, maybe we thought was illegal, that's not illegal, and stuff like that."
This is just getting crazy. If not for all the hype this matchup wouldn't interest me that much. I think Anderson stays on his feet and wins a striking battle like he did Henderson before choking him out. Hendo did great on the ground with Anderson before getting hurt with strikes. Like Chael did, just not as much, and I can't see that happening again. But all the crazy has sure got my attention.

This is just getting crazy. If not for all the hype this matchup wouldn't interest me that much. I think Anderson stays on his feet and wins a striking battle like he did Henderson before choking him out. Hendo did great on the ground with Anderson before getting hurt with strikes. Like Chael did, just not as much, and I can't see that happening again. But all the crazy has sure got my attention.
The only thing I can think of regarding the legal/illegal stuff is 12-6 elbows.

The only thing I can think of regarding the legal/illegal stuff is 12-6 elbows.
If Anderson Silva ends up losing this fight a la Jon Jones-Matt Hammill because of something Steven Seagal taught him, the internet will lose it's collective mind

I cap Mendes at like -300 and think is he is more skilled in every single department. But be has short, stubby arms and Cody is going to have about an 8" reach and a big frame to work with, with the drop to 145. I don't think the reach is going to be worth a darn in the striking department but if he can get close enough to Chad to attempt the choke, it is over.The definition of a one trick pony, but I think he has Chad's number in this one.
I can't get behind this at all. Mendes will destroy McKenzie on the feet, and McKenzie has only a minuscule chance to get it to the ground. Mendes will dictate everything about this fight. It'll be a laugher.

I don't think Silva will let him off that easy... unless he plans on choking him to death, I think (hope) he keeps making Sonnen stand back up so he can beat him some more.

Ugh, I don't know if i will ever be able to get into Kenny Florian and Jay Glazer here hyping whatever they can. Look fella's, if people are tuning into the weigh-in show they don't need you 2 salivating over everything. The weigh-in shows are fine on their own, they don't need your support

I'll take Tibau's nutrition and conditioning coach over Dolce any day of the week. I have no idea how that guy constantly makes weight at 155. That fight is one of those where i like both guys and wish they both could win

Users who are viewing this thread