Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title

• Replies 32.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• modogg

• SacramentoBob

• AhrnCityPahnder

• Craig_MiamiFL

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forgot to mention - got my BJJ purple belt a couple weeks ago.

***OFFICIAL NOTICE***: Any further talk of Ronda Rousey vs (a TUF Contestant/A male bantanweight / a bear / a horse sized duck / steven segal / whatever ) -- someone else start a new thread and

Random nerd on reddit doing the lords work.   a gif of every KO of the night since UFC started awarding the Bonus 11 years ago at UFC61.   http://imgur.com/a/OfR0P

Oh man, tomorrow I go on vacation to North Carolina and I'm hoping there's a bar there that's showing this fight, because I think it's gonna be GOOD!

My picks, for what they're worth:

Silva over Sonnen - submission 3rd round

Griffin over Ortiz - Unanimous Decision

Mendes over McKenzie - One-trick pony won't last long in the UFC. Unanimous decision

Guillard over Camoes - I've loved Guillard since his first UFC fight. KO in 2nd round.

The other fights on the card I have no opinion about.

ETA: If anyone has a working stream when the card starts, can you PM it to me? I'll be stuck on my crappy laptop and really want to watch.

Edited by MikeIke

Sensie Steven Segal on what he has been teaching Anderson this fight camp

"About two or three things. I really don't want to tip it. I'm sure this guy's not stupid. It's stuff that, maybe we thought was illegal, that's not illegal, and stuff like that."

This is just getting crazy. If not for all the hype this matchup wouldn't interest me that much. I think Anderson stays on his feet and wins a striking battle like he did Henderson before choking him out. Hendo did great on the ground with Anderson before getting hurt with strikes. Like Chael did, just not as much, and I can't see that happening again. But all the crazy has sure got my attention.
The only thing I can think of regarding the legal/illegal stuff is 12-6 elbows.
Further into the Sensei's interview he says the new things are all from the standing position.

Any good articles on Segal's impact on MMA or fighting in general? I don't know much about him besides he trains with Silva, made some movies in the past, and is a black belt at something. Does he work with anyone else in the UFC?

"About two or three things. I really don't want to tip it. I'm sure this guy's not stupid. It's stuff that, maybe we thought was illegal, that's not illegal, and stuff like that."

This is just getting crazy. If not for all the hype this matchup wouldn't interest me that much. I think Anderson stays on his feet and wins a striking battle like he did Henderson before choking him out. Hendo did great on the ground with Anderson before getting hurt with strikes. Like Chael did, just not as much, and I can't see that happening again. But all the crazy has sure got my attention.
Further into the Sensei's interview he says the new things are all from the standing position.

Any good articles on Segal's impact on MMA or fighting in general? I don't know much about him besides he trains with Silva, made some movies in the past, and is a black belt at something. Does he work with anyone else in the UFC?

It's a funny question. 95% of people think he is a complete joke in MMA, and yet there are still 5% who think he brings something. He is a multi-black belt in whatever he has studies, but the thought process is that he hasn't done anything for MMA, is riding on the blackhouse guys' coattails, and for some reason the blackhouse guys keep pumping him up

I think the Segal / Blackhouse thing is all shtick.

I felt uncomfortable watching his interview with Ariel, it was almost comical in a way.....the one where he talked about teaching Silva a few new things for this fight, I think at the weigh in.

Yeah. I'm thinking standing 12-6 elbows. Maybe right to the collarbone.

Maybe also also knee kicks.

Seagal has also worked with Machida. Blackhouse in general probably. He offered to work with Jon Jones, but Jones turned him down.

Nice little shoulder shot by Silva :thumbup:

If Chael had done that to Silva, people would be calling for this fight to not happen. Cheap shot. Chael will make him pay soon. :hot:

It's a funny question. 95% of people think he is a complete joke in MMA, and yet there are still 5% who think he brings something. He is a multi-black belt in whatever he has studies, but the thought process is that he hasn't done anything for MMA, is riding on the blackhouse guys' coattails, and for some reason the blackhouse guys keep pumping him up
Cung Le would agree....and Ariel was shocked to hear that.

Nice little shoulder shot by Silva :thumbup:

If Chael had done that to Silva, people would be calling for this fight to not happen. Cheap shot. Chael will make him pay soon. :hot:
Preach on!

Top 2 dogs of the night?Besides Sonnen.Alessio, Fukuda, Le, Camoes, Nurmagomedov, Ortiz, Menjivar, McKenzie, Maia, Oliveira

Le and Nurmagomedov

Nice little shoulder shot by Silva :thumbup: He's in Sonnen head.

Wait, Silva gets physical at the weigh-in, which is out of character for him, yet he's the one in Sonnen's head? He gets all pouty and offended after Chael's trash talk, and suddenly he's got the psychological edge? Nice analysis, Sigmund. :lmao:

Top 2 dogs of the night?Besides Sonnen.Alessio, Fukuda, Le, Camoes, Nurmagomedov, Ortiz, Menjivar, McKenzie, Maia, Oliveira

Le and Nurmagomedov
That's good to read...have them, Camoes, McKenzie, Alessio, Sonnen as far as dogs go...and Sonnen!

Le and Nurmagomedov
That's good to read...have them, Camoes, McKenzie, Alessio, Sonnen as far as dogs go...and Sonnen!
For whatever it's worth, I Like Camoes. Don't like McKenzie or Alessio.

Le and Nurmagomedov
I really think putting money on Mckenzie is throwing money away. I like Ahrn's calls of Khabib and Le, not as sure about Camoes. I like Fukoda and Menjivar too. The card overall is a strange betting card. The lines set are strange, like why Cote is more than a -200 favorite is beyond me. Talking about a guy just coming back to the UFC, who is taking this fight because Franklin took the Silva fight. I thought Cote was going to be the dog for this fight and i was ready to take him with + money, but i think getting Le at anything around +200 is a much better fight. And almost everything i am hearing has people on Sonnen, but i still can't find Silva at better than -270. I want to take Silva, but that line is off with Silva being too much of a favorite considering the variables in this one. there are others one too. Weird card with some of the playsAnd I have money on Alessio as well. Small bet though, and it is based much more as a bet against Roller than a bet for Allesio

Le and Nurmagomedov
I really think putting money on Mckenzie is throwing money away. I like Ahrn's calls of Khabib and Le, not as sure about Camoes. I like Fukoda and Menjivar too. The card overall is a strange betting card. The lines set are strange, like why Cote is more than a -200 favorite is beyond me. Talking about a guy just coming back to the UFC, who is taking this fight because Franklin took the Silva fight. I thought Cote was going to be the dog for this fight and i was ready to take him with + money, but i think getting Le at anything around +200 is a much better fight. And almost everything i am hearing has people on Sonnen, but i still can't find Silva at better than -270. I want to take Silva, but that line is off with Silva being too much of a favorite considering the variables in this one. there are others one too. Weird card with some of the playsAnd I have money on Alessio as well. Small bet though, and it is based much more as a bet against Roller than a bet for Allesio
Fukoda it, I'm on most dogs now. Favs I'm doing something with Kim and Griffin and whoever Oliveira is going to lose to. Edited by Bobcat10

I'm just putting a little on McKenzie because of the line, I liked him on the show, and I want to root for the 'tine.

At the price i am guessing you got it at it won't kill you. There have been bigger upsets, Varner-Barboza stands out as the biggest in recent memory.

Yeah. I'm thinking standing 12-6 elbows. Maybe right to the collarbone.

Maybe also also knee kicks.

Seagal has also worked with Machida. Blackhouse in general probably. He offered to work with Jon Jones, but Jones turned him down.

So I predicted 2 legal/illegal moves Seagal taught Silva. He said 3, so I'll predict a third...

Open hand shot to the Adam's Apple.

Main Card:

Anderson Silva (184) vs. Chael Sonnen (185)

Gotta roll with the American Gangster. If he can come out aggressive and close the distance quick and stay out of range, he has the same advantages he had in the last fight. Like someone said, Silva isn't all of a sudden going to learn how to defend takedowns.

Forrest Griffin (204) vs. Tito Ortiz (204)

Big Forrest fan but not sure if he gives a crap and I think Tito would love to go out on his shield.

Patrick Cote (185) vs. Cung Le (185)

Cote's style isn't much different than Franklin's so Le has had plenty of time to train for this. If Le really wants a UFC career I think we should see some takedowns from him.

Dong Hyun Kim (170) vs. Demian Maia (170)

Maia looked good at 170, but Kim's judo will dictate this fight and his style will gas Maia pretty quick.

Chad Mendes (146) vs. Cody McKenzie (145)

Chad has every skill advantage available but he is tiny compared to Cody and I think he finds the guillotine. If your book has props take Cody by submission because it is the only chance he has.

Mike Easton (135) vs. Ivan Menjivar (136)

Should be a great fight. Easton has a big reach advantage which makes me hesitate a little but his defense sucks and Menjivar is creative enough to find a way to exploit it.

Preliminary Card:

Khabib Nurmagomedov (155) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)

Damn close to a lock. Tibau is huge and has advantages in every area I can think of. Khabib even closes his eyes at time I noticed in watching his fight tapes. Uh oh.

Fabricio Camoes (156) vs. Melvin Guillard (155)

Melvin is lacking in the fight IQ department, if it hasn't been fixed by now, it probably won't ever be. Melvin will dominate the fight and end up getting choked out.

Riki Fukuda (185) vs. Constantinos Philippou (186)

I think this fight is pretty close to a coin flip. I think Philippou's power is overrated and Fukuda will be able to land the takedowns. Great bet to go the distance.

John Alessio (156) vs. Shane Roller (155)

Roller was a great college wrestler and had some success in the WEC but he has looked worse and worse the last few times in the Octagon. Alessio should have a striking advantage and sprawled and brawled with a prime Diego Sanchez back at UFC 60. Roller also had a pieced together camp in Oklahoma to train for this, while Alessio has been at Team Couture forever. Roller should not be favored.

Yoislandy Izquierdo (156) vs. Rafaello Oliveira (156)

Octagon jitters are out of the way and he should be able to showcase his striking here. Oliveira can be effective on the ground but his takedowns are terrible as well as telegraphed.

What I got:

Silva - MDK KTFO

Ortiz - If we're being honest, neither guy has looked all that impressive recently.

Coté - Le has always been overrated. Coté has huge punching power and good takedown defense, and has been fighting more regularly.

Maia - Not a homer pick. Kim is nothing special standing, and Maia should have a clear edge on the ground. Also, Kim's gas tank blows.

Mendes - Ehhhhh. I've talked #### about Mendes' style for a while now, but he's great at what he does. Really hope Cody pulls it off, though.

Menjivar - I honestly think very little of Easton, and Menjivar has far superior technique in all areas of the game.

Camões - Rolling the dice. Guillard has the edge on paper, but how many times has he been submitted in similar situations?

Tibau - Again, hate his style, but he's effective and doesn't lose to random dudes. Khabib would have to be much better than I expect.

Fukuda - Going with the veteran grappler, but who knows.

Alessio - One of my favorite MMA Hall of Very Good candidates.

Oliveira - Third time's the charm.

Silva by destruction

Forrest by decision - Hoping these guys put on a little bit of a show, but can see this one being pretty slow.

Le by decision - Not a Cote fan. Le will control the exchanges and the grappling. Don't see Cote putting Le in any danger at all

Mendes - Working with the 209 Bros has to be helping McKenzie. I will be rooti8ng for him. Mendes is a tier above him right now though.

Just wanted to get on the record with my "Silva in the 3rd" pick.

I think the first round is a little slow as they feel each other out. Sonnen may get a take down and will at least try as few, but Silva won't go nuts on him.

In the 2nd, Silva will find his range and start beating on Sonnen pretty good.

Sonnen is a mess in the third and Silva finishes him off with TKO with 2:15 left in the round.

Take it to the bank.

Roller 29-28

Agreed, but that is a brutally boring fight. Wrestlers suck.
Well, specifically Roller sucks. I'll bet against him again next time. I don't know why they chose to televise that fight instead of the Oliveira fight, they had to know it wasn't going to be exciting. And it isn't like Roller deserves a higher position on any card

I'm not into mma hardcore, but the hype on Silva vs Sonnen II has got me hook line and sinker. Off to Buffalo Wild Wings for the festivities!

It's sucked me in too. First time I bought a UFC PPV. Hoping Chael gets the W. I could listen to that guy talk all day. Listened to him on the Joe Rogan podcast for over 2 hours and he's mostly shtick but it's still entertaining to listen to him.

Any of you pro's know about what time range to expect the Silva Sonnen fight? Need to know info so I can pace my drinking accordingly.

i don't think it comes on before 11 EST. I think quite a few of the fights on the main card will go full distance.And Ricky is kicking the crap out of Phillipou. Only thing that sucks is these Nevada judges love their punches, and don't always consider kicks equal to punches. I think Ricky should have this 2nd round, and it is probably 19-19 going to the 3rd again

Boozer looks like he could knock this guy out at any moment with that right hand.

Same could be said about Phillipou's liver leaking out the side of his body from those body kicks and punches in the clinchETA: and Goldy and Rogan seem awfully bias in this one. Not sure why. I think Ricky won that 2nd round, and i think a lot of the live UFC blogs agree Edited by modogg

:eek:It's over.

Yup. I don't think Phillipou wants to get back in this one, sounded like he got shot. Shame because Ricky landed a real nice body kick in that exchange too
So could he have choose to not continue, then win by dq there?
  • AhrnCityPahnder changed the title to UFC wagering: GSP -- I waz eeempressed by your performances. Godspeed!