What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (6 Viewers)

I don't know what was said by his corner crew, but Hendricks fought as if he was sure he had the fight in the bag going into the last round. That's a horrible mindset for a title challenger. Had a chance to seal the win.
I didn't think that Hendricks fought the 5th too safely. He was still engaging. Maybe he wasn't going for the knockout blow as if he was behind, but it didn't appear like he wasn't looking to win that round.

I laugh at anyone saying this was close. So do their doctors. Can you imagine if it happened in a parking lot? Anyone think GSP won? Bah. Terrible for Hendricks.
With the way the ten-point-must system is used in the UFC, it was definitely close. That's the problem, of course.
Definitely close based on the system. Only one round was up for debate and definitely no 10-8 round. What's the alternative to the ten point-must system? If you have a non-ten point must system, then you have the potential for a lot of draws especially in the 3 rounders. Even in this case, you might have just had a 47-47 if you thought the 1st was a draw or maybe a 47-46 if you also thought the 3rd was a draw although not sure the Hendricks takedown negates GSP's striking effectiveness up until that point.

If you just looked at their faces you never would have guessed this but Hendricks is on a 6 month medical suspension (pending future clearance) while GSP got just 45 days.

Something about Hendricks knee I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the payroll for UFC 167

*Georges St-Pierre: $400,000 (No win bonus)

*Johny Hendricks: $50,000

*Rashad Evans: $250,000 (includes $125,000 win bonus)

*Chael Sonnen: $100,000

*Robbie Lawler: $166,000 (includes $83,000 win bonus)

*Rory MacDonald: $50,000

*Tyron Woodley: $104,000 (includes $52,000 win bonus)

*Josh Koscheck: $78,000

*Ali Bagautinov: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)

*Tim Elliott: $12,000

*Donald Cerrone: $96,000 (includes $48,000 win bonus)

*Evan Dunham: $25,000

*Thales Leites: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)

*Ed Herman: $40,000

*Rick Story: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus)

*Brian Ebersole: $18,000

*Erik Perez: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus)

*Edwin Figueroa $12,000

*Jason High: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)

*Anthony Lapsley: $8,000

*Sergio Pettis: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)

*Will Campuzano: $10,000

*Gian Villante: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus)

*Cody Donovan: $8,000

In what world does the loser in a championship bout make less than an overrated loser in the match before him?

Edit: AND HOW THE #### DOES KOSCHECK MAKE MORE THAN HENDRICKS?

Second edit: Rick "Cool Story Bro" made more than Hendricks to win a ####### prelim!

In what world does the loser in a championship bout make less than an overrated loser in the match before him?

Edit: AND HOW THE #### DOES KOSCHECK MAKE MORE THAN HENDRICKS?

Second edit: Rick "Cool Story Bro" made more than Hendricks to win a ####### prelim!
In the world where contracts are signed and negotiated years in advance. Plus Hendricks would likely have got a % of the PPV buys.

I don't really know how their contracts work, but is Hendricks on what would be considered a "rookie contract" in other sports? Those guys you mention have some tenure with the UFC.

I don't really know how their contracts work, but is Hendricks on what would be considered a "rookie contract" in other sports? Those guys you mention have some tenure with the UFC.
AFAIK, it is X amount of fights @ $X. Headline a PPV, get a % of the buys. Hendricks definitely isn't on his initial deal. I'm guessing he signed his latest deal a year or two ago (around when he fought Fitch/Koscheck) when he was a middle tier guy in the division.

God I wish I could make $250K to kick Chael Sonnen's ### for 3 minutes. What's the hourly rate on that?
You have to factor in training time, expense of training etc, and then factor in they can only fight ~3 times per year.

That being said, 125k base and doubling that on a win was an excellent number for him going into the fight.

God I wish I could make $250K to kick Chael Sonnen's ### for 3 minutes. What's the hourly rate on that?
You have to factor in training time, expense of training etc, and then factor in they can only fight ~3 times per year.

That being said, 125k base and doubling that on a win was an excellent number for him going into the fight.
Yah people often forget the year around training and dedication it takes. Still even in the low end and making $150,000 (3 fights, $50,000) is decent. They have to pay trainers and etc..... still but the sponsorships help offset those costs.

Yah people often forget the year around training and dedication it takes. Still even in the low end and making $150,000 (3 fights, $50,000) is decent. They have to pay trainers and etc..... still but the sponsorships help offset those costs.
one nice change for the fighters that happened a couple of years ago was Zuffa I believe picking up 100% of all health care for fighters under contract.

I am unsure what happens to the guy who gets destroyed in a fight and released shortly after that while needing medical care.

interesting rumor on UFC Tonight, Rashad vs. Cormier. I like the match-up. Rashad has cost me as pretty penny over the last year with his horrendous performance against Lil Nog, then looking like a completely different fighter in his fight against Chael. Just crazy how different he looked in those fights, and it is hard to have a ton of confidence betting on any of his fights going forward. But if he looks like he did against Chael, i think takes Cormier. wrestling might be a wash, but Rashad should be quicker and have sharper boxing

I wouldn't consider the wrestling a wash. Right now I think Evans is the best wrestler in the LHW division. But he's almost All-American collegiate wrestler caliber vs Cormier who was a Div I All American and 4th place finisher in the Olympics. Once Cormier makes weight, he's the best pedigreed wrestler in the division. Off the top of my head, the only other active LHW who brings those kinds of credentials is King Mo.

Strange thing about Evans, most people who wrestled in his weight class are WW or LW in the UFC. Evans went from 174 to 205. Anyway, I wouldn't feel too confident about a win for Evans. He definitely has more experience, but his main wrestling advantage is nullified against a guy like Cormier. Evans has also shown a suspect chin in a couple of fights. Wildcard: Evans is a BJJ black belt and Cormier made it a point to avoid Josh Barnett on the ground despite his obvious wrestling advantage. He may not have the same respect for Evans and get caught with something.

I wouldn't consider the wrestling a wash. Right now I think Evans is the best wrestler in the LHW division. But he's almost All-American collegiate wrestler caliber vs Cormier who was a Div I All American and 4th place finisher in the Olympics. Once Cormier makes weight, he's the best pedigreed wrestler in the division. Off the top of my head, the only other active LHW who brings those kinds of credentials is King Mo.

Strange thing about Evans, most people who wrestled in his weight class are WW or LW in the UFC. Evans went from 174 to 205. Anyway, I wouldn't feel too confident about a win for Evans. He definitely has more experience, but his main wrestling advantage is nullified against a guy like Cormier. Evans has also shown a suspect chin in a couple of fights. Wildcard: Evans is a BJJ black belt and Cormier made it a point to avoid Josh Barnett on the ground despite his obvious wrestling advantage. He may not have the same respect for Evans and get caught with something.
yeah you are right about the wrestling. I am just not sure if it plays a big factor in the fight. Though i think Rashad doesn't have a great takedown percent (not sure who took him down a bunch, but i remember seeing it and being a little surprised. For some odd reason the number 56% is floating in my head (hah, kind of close, 66%. I can't remember my wedding anniversary date, but ask me about Suga's takedown defense and i can almost nail it). Also surprising to see Rashad only has 3 losses on his record. The one is that God awful lil nog fight, the other is Jones, and at the other one is that KO to Lyoto. that is pretty impressive.

For me, i just haven't been that impressed by Cormier yet, and i think if he takes on Rashad at a new weight he'll be in trouble. I just think Rashad can pepper him on the feet. The question is the strength advantage, and if Cormier can get Rashad in the clinch and overpower him easily it will be bad for Rashad.

So, a lot of variables to factor in. depends how Cormier handles the weight cut, but if he can maintain a good chunk of his strength he will be a force. he will lose a speed advantage to quite a few LHWs though

I think if Cormier has a good cut to 205 he handles Rashad. The question is I don't know how well he's going to handle that cut. He had kidney problems cutting weight at the Olympics, and to my knowledge has never fought down at LHW in his MMA career. Rashad is certainly no easy task for someone to be welcomed with in their first fight at a new weight.

I really do like this season of TUF. I know they are talking about how Ronda's personality is going to really hurt her, but man i like watching her on this show. It really is funny how Ronda seems to take the low road at every single opportunity she gets, and it makes me look forward to their fight more

I don't think Cormier is "cutting" to 205. That is going to be his walking around weight. IIRC, he has kidney issues because of weight cutting in his amateur wrestling days and can't cut weight anymore. He's going to lose his gut and manhandle most people at 205. He's obviously pretty strong considering he tossed around legit HWs like Barnett and Mir like ragdolls. I wonder how well he does against Cain when they grapple?

We're only talking about 20 pounds for him to drop. That shouldn't be tough for him to drop. He isn't exactly chiselled right now.

I watched 40 minutes of TUF for that bulls#it ending?
Ya I watch that last night, good thing I could fwd thru it. Second time this season a fighter missed weight...I can see maybe someone missing weight once then everyone else takes notice, since it is their dream and all. But twice? Save the cheeseburgers for me, guy.

I watched 40 minutes of TUF for that bulls#it ending?
Ya I watch that last night, good thing I could fwd thru it. Second time this season a fighter missed weight...I can see maybe someone missing weight once then everyone else takes notice, since it is their dream and all. But twice? Save the cheeseburgers for me, guy.
To me it seemed like it was all a big joke or party to that guy. He never took it seriously and certainly didn't deserve to be there. Adios! Fortunately I usually FF through most of the drama so it didn't me long to watch that one.

I see free Friday night fight with Diaz on their facebook page but I dont see it on FS1 listing, WTF?

Is it a different Friday night?

prosopis said:
I see free Friday night fight with Diaz on their facebook page but I dont see it on FS1 listing, WTF?

Is it a different Friday night?
Nate is headlining the TUF finale on Sat nov 30. That should be prelim and main card on FS1.

modogg said:
man, i'm really disliking Hendricks more and more. Now he is saying he was only punching with 70% because his hand wraps were bad. What a deuche.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/22/5133498/johny-hendricks-poor-hand-wraps-punching-70-percent-gsp-ufc-167
"Bad/Poor hand wraps" seems to be a bit misleading after reading what he really said. Poor article title by TBE there. Whether or not a thicker wrap would have allowed him to hit harder and not bruise up his hands, I have no idea, but seems like he thinks so.

modogg said:
man, i'm really disliking Hendricks more and more. Now he is saying he was only punching with 70% because his hand wraps were bad. What a deuche.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/22/5133498/johny-hendricks-poor-hand-wraps-punching-70-percent-gsp-ufc-167
"Bad/Poor hand wraps" seems to be a bit misleading after reading what he really said. Poor article title by TBE there.Whether or not a thicker wrap would have allowed him to hit harder and not bruise up his hands, I have no idea, but seems like he thinks so.
well, either way Hendricks is going to need a PR team soon, or just learn to shut his mouth. Seeing him talk #### about GSP in every interview can't be good for him:

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/23/5135792/johny-hendricks-to-georges-st-pierre-if-you-cant-handle-being

I've got no problem with what Hendrick's is saying. He's gonna do whatever he can to get his rematch with GSP. He deserves it and will get it if GSP can be persuaded.

I had ridiculous seats for the Hendricks/St. Pierre fight, so I was able to shake Hendricks' hand after the fight, and tell him he should have won. He was very humble. Big fan.

And Ed Herman looked like he was on something when he walked out.

"I needed it," a candid MacDonald admitted on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour.

"I think it's a collection of things, it's been leading up to (this). I think it's just my mental state, the way I've been thinking leading up to fights. I've been more interested in after the fight, rather than getting into the fight.

"My fights before," he continued, "The most exciting point for me was actually getting into the fight. I was hungry. I wanted to destroy my opponents, and I was hungry. I had that fire in me to fight. I think it shows in both of my performances this year, that I didn't have that fire."

"I just don't think I was interested," MacDonald admitted. "I felt like my Ellenberger fight, I think I fought a really good fight. I was technically on-point, I was sharp, and watching the fight I wasn't disappointed. But I didn't have fun at the end of the day, and that's what I do this for. I want to express myself when I'm up there, like an artist painting a picture. It's just basically self-expression for me, and I don't think I did that in these last two fights this year.

"I didn't enjoy them. I didn't walk out of the cage knowing that I had fun. Usually, win or lose, in my fights in the past, I've always had fun. I've always enjoyed my time fighting. This year I didn't enjoy fighting."

It's become a cliché for losing fighters to justify the experience as a positive, saying that it led them back to a reborn sense of motivation. For MacDonald, though, whether it's the surprising honesty with which he spoke, or the hint of anger caught in his throat, the sentiment appears very real indeed.

"Everything was coming very easy for me the last three years since losing to Carlos (Condit). The fights were going very smoothly, and I just felt like, wow, it's becoming very easy. So I kind of let my guard down a bit," he said.

"I needed to lose. I needed to get into a hard fight. I'm very motivated, more than ever now. I'm very hungry. I feel like I have that fire back."
Good to hear, hope he comes out ready to fight next time.

For the TUF finale Saturday night it looks like no men from the show (outside of the 2 finalists) were asked to fight on the card. I don't know if this has ever happened before.

4 women from the show (outside of the 2 finalists) are on the card.

Main card (Fox Sports 1)

Lightweight Gray Maynard vs. Nate Diaz

Women's Bantamweight Julianna Peña vs. Jessica Rakoczy

Bantamweight Chris Holdsworth vs. David Grant

Women's Bantamweight Jessamyn Duke vs. Peggy Morgan

Women's Bantamweight Roxanne Modafferi vs. Raquel Pennington

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)

Featherweight Akira Corassani vs. Maximo Blanco

Featherweight Rani Yahya vs. Tom Niinimäki

Heavyweight Jared Rosholt vs. Walt Harris

Welterweight Sean Spencer vs. Drew Dober

Preliminary card (Facebook)

Flyweight Ryan Benoit vs. Joshua Sampo

Cain opens at -275 vs Jones
Strange fight choice for Jones. Given his brothers, he probably has the ability to support a nice HW body. But I don't think putting on 20 pounds in less than a year and fighting Cain would be the optimal strategy. He'd have to get used to his new body which would mean a long-term move to HW. He said he wants to put on 10 pounds and fight at 240, but I don't think he'd have the power or ability to keep Cain off of him against the cage and avoid takedowns.

Cain opens at -275 vs Jones
Strange fight choice for Jones. Given his brothers, he probably has the ability to support a nice HW body. But I don't think putting on 20 pounds in less than a year and fighting Cain would be the optimal strategy. He'd have to get used to his new body which would mean a long-term move to HW. He said he wants to put on 10 pounds and fight at 240, but I don't think he'd have the power or ability to keep Cain off of him against the cage and avoid takedowns.
yeah, hoping it stays around this because i will eat up Jones at anything over +200

Feel horrible for Del Rosario, i forget the details about the car accident he was in, but i know it wasn't his fault. wrecked his career just when he was considered one of the top prospects, and he just can't catch a break to build some momentum to move back on up
the breaks keep on not coming. Apparently Shane Del Rosario is "barely clinging to life" after cardiac arrest.
Yeah, i read about that. Dude just has some horrible luck. Hate to take away from it at all, but pretty good deal for him that he is in the UFC and hopefully their medical coverage helps with any of this. I have heard that his outlook is a little better and they think he might make it through.

and totally taking away from it again, but the fight card tonight i think should be fun. Some exciting fights with Blanco-Corassani, Roshalt, Yahya, etc. Fingers are crossed the ladies put on a good show (and i a pulling Roxxi can survive with not getting cut), and i know you are with me hoping Nate can put on a hell of a show. He is giving up his high school reunion for this, so he deserves something

Users who are viewing this thread