What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (8 Viewers)

"In addition to random year-round testing, which will be conducted by an independent anti-doping agency, the UFC will advocate to athletic commissions for more fight-night drug tests and enhanced random testing ahead of every main event and championship fight."

So how do they keep this independent when the company doing the tests is paid for by the UFC and I assume the UFC will be the first to see any results and possibly bury them if it suits a business decision?

without a doubt, the best site that does updates for the pressers is mmamania. guy cracks me up with these:

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/2/18/8062473/live-ufc-drug-testing-press-conference-updates-dana-white-lorenzo-fertitta-las-vegas-mma
1:15 p.m. ET: White explains timeline for Hector Lombard drug test. Yells at imaginary critics.
:lmao:
I like this one:

1:55 p.m. ET: Leading "journalist" congratulates UFC for presser, then calls it "seminal day for the sport of MMA." Plays himself out using UFC-branded kazoo.

"In addition to random year-round testing, which will be conducted by an independent anti-doping agency, the UFC will advocate to athletic commissions for more fight-night drug tests and enhanced random testing ahead of every main event and championship fight."

So how do they keep this independent when the company doing the tests is paid for by the UFC and I assume the UFC will be the first to see any results and possibly bury them if it suits a business decision?
I can not imagine this ever happening. would pretty much be suicide for the UFC to do. I am sure they don't want this headache, but if they have already not done any of these kind things with the GOAT they won't do much more.

the one that caught my eye was this: 1:20 p.m. ET: Fertitta will pay to test every fighter for every event, approximately 984 tests annually. Will also subject all main event and championship bouts to enhanced testing (roughly 96 combatants). Says it will take time to implement due to relationships with "third-party agencies" but expects to have it wrapped up by July 1, 2015.

if they test every fighter for every fight, it will cost them a bunch, but it would seem that it will be difficult for any fighter to get by with using PEDs. the "out of competition" testing has been the key to finding all of these, but it sounds like they aren't taking it lightly.

this would be a disaster:

1:40 p.m. ET: The "worse before it gets better" comment resurfaces, causing me to worry about UFC 184 since Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano were recently drug tested.

Lawler vs MacDonald @ UFC 189 as the co-main to Aldo vs McGregor.

Must buy card with only two fights announced.
UFC really needs to get off McGregor's ****. They always have the heavier weight title fight take place after the lighter weight fight. These guys are so f'n money hungry towards the McGregor hype machine that they couldn't possibly imagine not having him be the headline fight. I think that's total utter dog####.

UFC really needs to get off McGregor's ****. They always have the heavier weight title fight take place after the lighter weight fight. These guys are so f'n money hungry towards the McGregor hype machine that they couldn't possibly imagine not having him be the headline fight. I think that's total utter dog####.
hmm, i didn't even realize that. Agreed it is sad that they are doing it, but to be honest if you want to know what will give it more buys, and sell the card, it is Mcgregor. only thing i can think of is that they say that that fight was already the main event and they can't change it out of that slot. either way, I am glad they are doing it though.

Still can't get out of my head that Tito-Bonner did 1.8 million buys. i can't get mad at any MMA org. when something like that gets more viewers then most other cards

Last edited by a moderator:
Still can't get out of my head that Tito-Bonner did 1.8 million buys.
I think it was 1.8 million viewers, not buys.

1.8 million buys think would have been the biggest MMA PPV ever....?

I think UFC 100 did something like 1.6 million buys which was the organizations high point if memory serves. .

I think UFC 100 did something like 1.6 million buys which was the organizations high point if memory serves. .
yeah, it was a free card. but 1.8 million viewers still blows a lot of the free UFC cards out of the water

So the in-competition testing (before and after the fights, i think same nights) had something like 1.1% of tests fail. When they started doing the out of competition fighting, the amount of tests that failed was close to 25% :shock:

This was on the Luke Thomas chat on mmafighting. I am not much of a fan of the guy, and am not sure the numbers are accurate, but i would assume them to be. That number is scary

modogg said:
NewlyRetired said:
modogg said:

yeah, it was a free card. but 1.8 million viewers still blows a lot of the free UFC cards out of the water
It was a well promoted fight and Tito/Bonnar played up the 'wrestling type angle'

Production by Spike/Bellator was tremendous.

Also Browne-Arlovski and Benevidez-Moraga....one of the better cards on paper in a long, long time. Let's hope we get at least 2/5 by the time the fight actually goes down.

sheerterror said:

They aren't going to bump the headliner :shrug:

I can not imagine this ever happening. would pretty much be suicide for the UFC to do. I am sure they don't want this headache, but if they have already not done any of these kind things with the GOAT they won't do much more.

the one that caught my eye was this: 1:20 p.m. ET: Fertitta will pay to test every fighter for every event, approximately 984 tests annually. Will also subject all main event and championship bouts to enhanced testing (roughly 96 combatants). Says it will take time to implement due to relationships with "third-party agencies" but expects to have it wrapped up by July 1, 2015.

if they test every fighter for every fight, it will cost them a bunch, but it would seem that it will be difficult for any fighter to get by with using PEDs. the "out of competition" testing has been the key to finding all of these, but it sounds like they aren't taking it lightly.

this would be a disaster:

1:40 p.m. ET: The "worse before it gets better" comment resurfaces, causing me to worry about UFC 184 since Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano were recently drug tested.
Zingano certainly looks more likely to piss hot.

It's not bumping the headliner, just keeping continuity in which the order of title fights are fought. It sends out the wrong message regarding the way the UFC treats and views McGregor IMO. It was announced first so they can't make it the co-main? BS.

It's not bumping the headliner, just keeping continuity in which the order of title fights are fought. It sends out the wrong message regarding the way the UFC treats and views McGregor IMO. It was announced first so they can't make it the co-main? BS.
Maybe the real new message is the continuity doesn't matter anymore. I personally think the fights are in the right order. It's the better fight and the more anticipated fight, IMO.

UFC really needs to get off McGregor's ****. They always have the heavier weight title fight take place after the lighter weight fight.
I went poking around because I was curious after reading this.

I found 2 other cards with multiple title fights where the heavier weight title fight was not the main event:

UFC 111 (Carwin/Mir was co-main ; GSP - Hardy main)

UFC 169 (Aldo/Lamas was co-main ; Barao/Faber main)

In most cases while the heavier title fights are the main events, the argument could be made it's because the heavier champs over the past several years (A. Silva, Jon Jones, JDS then Cain) have been very popular fighters. Whether or not it's warranted, McGregor is one of the hottest stars the UFC now, and pretty obvious to me he's a bigger PPV draw than either Lawler or Rory.

I think it is perfectly inline with how the UFC does business. McGregor sells tickets/PPVs. MacDonald and Lawler don't. You put the most popular/profitable guy in the main event; especially when he is in a title fight.

UFC really needs to get off McGregor's ****. They always have the heavier weight title fight take place after the lighter weight fight.
I went poking around because I was curious after reading this.

I found 2 other cards with multiple title fights where the heavier weight title fight was not the main event:

UFC 111 (Carwin/Mir was co-main ; GSP - Hardy main)

UFC 169 (Aldo/Lamas was co-main ; Barao/Faber main)

In most cases while the heavier title fights are the main events, the argument could be made it's because the heavier champs over the past several years (A. Silva, Jon Jones, JDS then Cain) have been very popular fighters. Whether or not it's warranted, McGregor is one of the hottest stars the UFC now, and pretty obvious to me he's a bigger PPV draw than either Lawler or Rory.
Interesting. I can't recall where I heard it, but it was within the last year or two of someone asking DW about the ordering of the fights and he bluntly stated something to the effect of "they're the heavier fighters, they go last." I also could have misremembered that. At any rate, your theory certainly holds some weight, but I think a lot of it plays into this McGregor hype machine. If Aldo was fighting say, Frankie Edgar on this card, I have a hard time believe they would get the top billing over Lawler-McDonald. I get it - trying to sell more buys yada yada yada, but I think a lot of it falls in line with this McGregor bias that's taking place with the UFC brass.

There was an interesting clip I listened to last week with Joey Diaz talking about the UFCs infatuation with him, and the perception it is creating amongst other fighters - specifically talking about how during the Boston show, all the fighters were in the same hotel, while McGregor went around bragging about being in the Ferrita suite.

I think it is perfectly inline with how the UFC does business. McGregor sells tickets/PPVs. MacDonald and Lawler don't. You put the most popular/profitable guy in the main event; especially when he is in a title fight.
On what grounds are you suggesting MacDonald and Lawler don't sell tickets - or that McGregor draws better? Lawler has long, and especially now as a champ, been a huge fan favorite. McGregor fights have done great at the gate I'm sure, but he's headlined exactly 1 time in the US, which was in Boston, aka West Ireland. Not to say he won't draw well in Vegas by any means...he obviously will with the UFC hype machine in full force. We'll have 6 documentaries and 4 reality shows produced about him by the time the fight actually goes down.

I hope Aldo kicks McGregor's butt. I'm so tired of the hype on this guy, and I sure don't like his cheesy antics.

I just wish these guys would train and fight and quit trying to promote themselves by being a-holes.

On what grounds are you suggesting MacDonald and Lawler don't sell tickets - or that McGregor draws better?
I don't think we really know yet with McGregor. They've put so much hype behind him (4 of his 5 fights have been on on TV instead of PPV). his one PPV sales were miserable but that was a PPV that Mighty Mouse was in the main event , and I wouldn't be surprised to find out MM is the worst PPV draw out of all the Men's belt holders.

It is all very calculated to build Conor as a star. This continues with having him main event a PPV with another huge title fight on it. I don't seem to mind as much as some people do, as long as the guy keeps putting on entertaining fights. It's not like they're doing this with Kalib Starnes. :shrug:

McGregor as a PPV draw is still an unknown quantity because he's been on exactly one card that had 200K PPV buys. Lawler is probably a decent draw because his 2nd fight with Hendricks did 400K which is about the best you can do if Silva, GSP or Jones aren't the headliners. Aldo normally does 200K himself, so if this thing doesn't do like 800K it's hard to credibly say that McGregor is a draw. I almost feel like they added Lawler/MacDonald to the card to hide his true drawing power. If this thing does like 500K, they can claim it was Conor when it may have just been normal interest in a WW and FW title fight.

TBH, I think all of the lighter weight title fights should be co-mains with the heavies. Those guys aren't drawing much anyway, and the best way to get them introduced to the world is to put them on cards people are already watching.

McGregor as a PPV draw is still an unknown quantity because he's been on exactly one card that had 200K PPV buys. Lawler is probably a decent draw because his 2nd fight with Hendricks did 400K which is about the best you can do if Silva, GSP or Jones aren't the headliners. Aldo normally does 200K himself, so if this thing doesn't do like 800K it's hard to credibly say that McGregor is a draw.
C'mon MOP, you're smarter than that.

On what grounds are you suggesting MacDonald and Lawler don't sell tickets - or that McGregor draws better?
I don't think we really know yet with McGregor. They've put so much hype behind him (4 of his 5 fights have been on on TV instead of PPV). his one PPV sales were miserable but that was a PPV that Mighty Mouse was in the main event , and I wouldn't be surprised to find out MM is the worst PPV draw out of all the Men's belt holders.

It is all very calculated to build Conor as a star. This continues with having him main event a PPV with another huge title fight on it. I don't seem to mind as much as some people do, as long as the guy keeps putting on entertaining fights. It's not like they're doing this with Kalib Starnes. :shrug:
Nice reference. To this day, I think that was the only 10-7 round I ever remember. Even Nate Quarry was surprised!

And you're right it is absolutely calculated. And I get that - it's a business and they are trying to build a product. But it's being done in such a shallow manner, and to me, in a way that is actually becoming disrespectful to other fighters. McGregor jumps out of the ring to get in Aldo's face in Boston, and Dana's security guards are both standing right there waiting for him, literally escorting him to Aldo. The whole thing feels cheesy and scripted. We've talked about it a million times in here, but it's clearly shifting to WWE style entertainment first, sport second.

Nice reference. To this day, I think that was the only 10-7 round I ever remember. Even Nate Quarry was surprised!

And you're right it is absolutely calculated. And I get that - it's a business and they are trying to build a product. But it's being done in such a shallow manner, and to me, in a way that is actually becoming disrespectful to other fighters. McGregor jumps out of the ring to get in Aldo's face in Boston, and Dana's security guards are both standing right there waiting for him, literally escorting him to Aldo. The whole thing feels cheesy and scripted. We've talked about it a million times in here,. but it's clearly shifting to WWE style entertainment first, sport second.
can't argue with you bud, but hey at least they don't do it all the time.

I think i'm like Ahrn with the whole Conner thing that luckily it doesn't bother me either way. I can see plenty of fighters getting bothered by it, but like Frankie Edgar said about it, Conner has brought a lot more attn. to the division and helped them out. For me, we will find out about Conner soon enough. If he loses to Jose, and pretty soundly, the Conner hype will go away for awhile. If he somehow wins that fight, well then i will be down some money and will make that division awesome to watch for awhile to see who can dethrone him.

if Conner loses, I would love to see Cub Swanson vs Mcgreggor

Anderson released this statement. Still claims he is clean

==============================

IN RESPECT TO MY FANS I will not say anything about who I am or what I went through to get here.

What matters to me now is the respect from those who have followed my career. I bled, struggled and fought because I love it and because I always wanted to honor the flag of the country I love so much.

I don't know what to apologize for, because I am still waiting for the results and analysis from the specialists that are working to reveal the truth. Everything that I took since my injury are being analyzed. I look for the truth as much as all those who were surprised with the results. I always played clean, I was never a cheater.

In eighteen years of my career, I never had a problem with exams. In and out of the Octagon I never slipped in compliance with the principles that always guided me. With much honor and dignity I defended my country where ever I fought. I never used any substances to better my performance in my fights.

I love what I do and I would never risk what I took so long to build. I think that the hurry some people have to condemn me is unfair. The time it takes to destroy a reputation is infinitely less than that is taken to build it. I am the one who is most eager to settle this situation. I want those who have always supported me to know that I am still fighting for all the sad happenings of this situation to be cleared.

Good to see De la Torre from the MMA Lab with a nice win. My trainer cornered him for this fight. He's a good dude.

seems like awful booking here, but Dodson vs. Makovsky added to UFC 187 card. you already have only one contender in Dodson, why have him fight the only other guy who makes sense as a contender in Makovsky?

Very weird that Mir is still relevant. Overall, not a bad group of fights. A few nice finishes and only one fight that was a bit boring.

WHERE DID THIS THREAD GO!?!one!1!!

Hi y'all -- sorry for the trouble.

I've been researching how to make our forums faster and more responsive over the last month. The performance of our forums, though never particularly speedy, had become uniformly slow with occasional unpredictable and excruciating delays. So I asked the folks at Invision Power, the forum software's authors, to dig in and make some recommendations on how we can speed the site up.

They recommended a number of infrastructure and settings changes which we've implemented in this upgrade. More performance upgrades will be coming when Invision releases their 4.0 version later this year. But their most significant recommendation -- more important than all the others combined -- was that we needed to archive and reopen the board's largest, most trafficked, and most loved threads.

There are fifteen threads that account for over 845,000 of the board's 13,000,000 posts and they've been viewed nearly 13,000,000 times. These threads have grown so large and they are loaded so often that their performance impact on the board can't be properly normalized. This is one of those fifteen threads.

For now, we've moved these threads to a new forum called Archived Topics to isolate them from the most heavily-trafficked forums -- the FFA and Shark Pool -- and preserved them so that they cannot be replied to, edited, or deleted. The original threads remain searchable, and I've added a link below to the original version of this topic. Over the next couple of weeks, these threads will be converted into archived threads by the Invision Board aoftware and moved back to their original forum. After archiving, they will remain searchable and browsable.

If you are the Original Poster of one of these threads, I encourage you to start a new topic to be version 2.0 of your thread and PM me with the link. I will merge this post into your new topic and leave it pinned for a few weeks.

Peace.
*** Official MMA - UFC Wagering Thread:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/447349-official-mma-ufc-wagering-thread/

A remarkable number of upsets at UFC Fight Night 61 resulted in a historic beating for the sportsbook Bovada.LV.

Frank Mir's victory over Antonio Silva in the main event in Porto Alegre, Brazil, on Sunday night marked the 10th win by an underdog, costing Bovada nearly $1 million, according to the sportsbook's manager.

Underdogs went 10-1, and as a result, parlay bets, in which gamblers bet between $1 and $5 on all underdogs, hit big.

According to Bovada sportsbook manager Kevin Bradley, one bettor had a $4 all-underdog parlay that paid $85,000. Another had four $1 parlays that paid $25,000 each.

"We had at least a dozen of these bets that paid out $10,000 or more," Bradley said.

When all was tallied up, Bradley said the loss approached nearly $1 million on the single event.

"We take in so much more money on the NFL or the NBA that when you have these types of parlay winners, it's hard to hurt [our business]," Bradley said. "With UFC, this will be hard to come back from."

"Normally, going into an event, I know what we need," Bradley added. "But I was focused on the Oscars and the Daytona 500, both of which we were ... doing well on. What happened with UFC is just so rare."

Bradley said the result was such a loser for the sportsbook that Bovada will likely need to win big in the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao fight on May 2 to make its UFC/boxing book a profitable one in 2015.

"We're not getting this money back from the people that won," Bradley said. "The type of bettor that wins these bets throws a small amount of money on all the favorites or all the underdogs to try to get rich. Well, I guess it worked."

Users who are viewing this thread