Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title

I suspect RR will come out humbly and say that Holly was better prepared and she was the better woman -- until the rematch PPV hype starts rolling, when of course she'll turn back into cocky, brash, marketing-Rousey again.

LOL... you're nuts. This happen yet?

And LOL about cheapshots when she clearly threw that haymaker after the bell had rung. Fkin cnt

• Like 3

I didn't stay up to watch the fight live (would've been around 3 or 4AM down here), but I found it hilarious. Perfect gameplan and execution by Holm, and whether Ronda rebounds from the loss or not, her aura of invincibility has been irrevocably shattered.

As for Ronda's schtick, I personally find it ridiculous. The other examples brought up aren't exactly apples-to-apples comparisons. Chael was far more over-the-top, and he worked it so that it was obvious that it was an act. That, and he was good enough on the mic to make it entertaining. Diaz is different to me, because I don't think he's a bad person, strictly speaking, but I don't think it's an act to him. I just feel he has a massive chip on his shoulder at all times. Conor's schtick is similar to Chael's, with the difference being that he actually backs it up in the ring. Ronda, however, doesn't give me an entertainment factor like those dudes. Comes across as mean-spirited, mostly. I get why people might appreciate the way they operate, some more so than others, but whether it's schtick or not, it can still get tiresome.

Man, I would've paid good money to have seen Dana's reaction in real time. It's "you can pinpoint the exact second when his heart breaks" stuff. Only dude he has left is Conor now, and Aldo's set to put him in a bodybag in less than a month's time.

Edited by Abrantes

I didn't stay up to watch the fight live (would've been around 3 or 4AM down here), but I found it hilarious. Perfect gameplan and execution by Holm, and whether Ronda rebounds from the loss or not, her aura of invincibility has been irrevocably shattered.

As for Ronda's schtick, I personally find it ridiculous. The other examples brought up aren't exactly apples-to-apples comparisons. Chael was far more over-the-top, and he worked it so that it was obvious that it was an act. That, and he was good enough on the mic to make it entertaining. Diaz is different to me, because I don't think he's a bad person, strictly speaking, but I don't think it's an act to him. I just feel he has a massive chip on his shoulder at all times. Conor's schtick is similar to Chael's, with the difference being that he actually backs it up in the ring. Ronda, however, doesn't give me an entertainment factor like those dudes. Comes across as mean-spirited, mostly. I get why people might appreciate the way they operate, some more so than others, but whether it's schtick or not, it can still get tiresome.

Man, I would've paid good money to have seen Dana's reaction in real time. It's "you can pinpoint the exact second when his heart breaks" stuff. Only dude he has left is Conor now, and Aldo's set to put him in a bodybag in less than a month's time*.

If he doesn't fake an injury again ;)

• Like 1

Ronda posted on Twitter:

“I just wanted to thank everyone for the love and support,” Rousey wrote. “I appreciate the concerns about my health, but I’m fine. As I mentioned before I am going to take a little bit of time, but I’ll be back.”

http://fansided.com/2015/11/15/ronda-rousey-statement-ufc-193-instagram/?utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=si.com

Rousey is referencing plans to take a break from the UFC that she mentioned before UFC 193. Rousey said she was going to disappear to work on some movie projects which will require her time.

Nothing congratulating the new champ? Color me shocked.

Champ gets destroyed and takes off to make films. Gina Carano part II.

But blame for what though? Holm wins. We'll get a rematch that'll be more anticipated (and profitable) than anything we'd have seen if Rousey won. I give Dana #### all the time, but he should be applauded for putting this together. Fight that's new and fresh. The worst thing that could happen to the UFC is what happened to boxing where we don't get fights while the competitors are in their primes & we end up with a boring put you to sleep 'fight'.

Unless you believe Cyborg would finally commit to making weight :lol: If she wanted to make weight, she'd have made the weight already.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

Man, I would've paid good money to have seen Dana's reaction in real time. It's "you can pinpoint the exact second when his heart breaks" stuff. Only dude he has left is Conor now, and Aldo's set to put him in a bodybag in less than a month's time*.

If he doesn't fake * an injury again * ;)

:sleep:

So you agree that Aldo's going to whoop him, then?

Edited by Abrantes

But blame for what though? Holm wins. We'll get a rematch that'll be more anticipated (and profitable) than anything we'd have seen if Rousey won. I give Dana #### all the time, but he should be applauded for putting this together. Fight that's new and fresh. The worst thing that could happen to the UFC is what happened to boxing where we don't get fights while the competitors are in their primes & we end up with a boring put you to sleep 'fight'.

Unless you believe Cyborg would finally commit to making weight :lol: If she wanted to make weight, she'd have made the weight already.

The worst thing that could happen is yet another immediate rematch after a champ got clowned.

The worst thing that could happen is yet another immediate rematch after a champ got clowned.

For fans, sure because w/o a radical camp change nothing will change in the outcome.. For Dana, no. He's already stated Holm/Rousey immediate rematch makes most sense next. Financially, there's no doubt about that.

Dana may feed someone to Holm. (like he did Connor to build up to title shot) I just don't think he'll risk a Tate beating Holm to risk the mammoth buys for Rousey/Holm 2. He's already shown us what he thinks of Rousey/Tate 3.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

Glad to see this thread buzzing, have to think this was good for MMA/UFC and hopefully it continues. I was a little quiet because i was one of the dopes that put money on Rousey at -1000 :bag:. In hindsight, i do not like betting against Wink-Jackson especially in title fights, but Holm has never shown overwhelming power in her career, including the boxing world. Needless to say this will be a hole to have to dig out of.

For me, it is telling how much RR's mom came out against RR's coach pre-fight and the way RR looked for this fight i think a lot of the blame can fall on him and that camp (that seems to only consist of RR, Travis Browne and Jake Ellenburg). Hell, she could head to Cesar Gracie and train with the Diaz brothers camp for the next one. i think a different camp is something she should strongly consider, and i would think she has the money to go anywhere and train for her rematch.

I for one am excited for a rematch, and certainly think it is warranted here. I thought GSP and Anderson Silva deserved immediate rematches too, and Jones would probably deserve one as well. they shouldn't be assumed like they seem to be, but there are occasions where they make sense.

i am also surpised at all of the anti-Rousey. i think even if you don't like her, there is no way you can put her down considering she has basically elevated Women's MMA to a level it probably would not have ever reached. No Rousey probably means no Holly Holm or Joanna Jedrzejczyk (good luck spelling that without looking it up). I think Ronda could be annoying at times, and i was anti-RR during the season of TUF she was on, but i think the way she came out after that season was great and i have appreciated her since. It is fine to not like her, but without a doubt the sport will take a big hit the day she leaves

It's especially surprising since Holm couldn't finish her previous UFC opponents.

Which camp has the best striking coaches besides Jackson-Wink? The Pit, ATT, Sityodtong, Tristar, maybe Holland?

No camp is going to get her ready to strike with Holm. She should strengthen her takedowns. Holm even through her on her ### once. Maybe she spent too much time on striking this camp and it cost her her strength.

It's especially surprising since Holm couldn't finish her previous UFC opponents.

Which camp has the best striking coaches besides Jackson-Wink? The Pit, ATT, Sityodtong, Tristar, maybe Holland?

would be fun to see her go to Tristar or i would like to see her go to The Alliance (though i am not sure what their recent shake-up was about). Maybe Grudge center with Ludwig and TJ Dillashaw as well. I think Tristar is able to coach their fighters in a way that they are prepared well for the big fights. i don't know how you can get her good training partners without stepping on toes, but if there was ever a reason to do this, now would be the time.

I am not a fan of ATT, and think they can be a bit over-rated, but the idea of seeing RR train with Cormier so that another element can be added to the Cormier-Jones feud would be intriguing.

of course we have heard from numerous long-time champions how you hit a spot where the challenge and excitement just isn't there. GSP used to discuss quite a bit, and i wonder if this played a part with Ronda

Couple of observations.

1. I really question her camp/training. Seems to me that it never mattered before because she was so dominant against mediocre opponents. Was I the only one that wondered WTF her coach was saying about her having a good round after the first? I am like...there is no way she believes what he is saying because even she knows that that was a round unlike any other that she had faced.

It kind of illustrated to me that the coaching staff was in over its head. But maybe I am overreacting.

2. Maybe because she never had to in the past...but her stamina looked like ####. Does she ever do cardio?

3. Poor Fighter/Ring IQ - I have to seriously question Rousey's ring IQ. I mean...she just didn't seem to exhibit any knowledge about the fight game in there. From the poor strategy to failing to make any adjustments...she seemed like an inexperienced fighter to me.

4. Rousey should not get an instant rematch. Not because I don't think she deserves one (I do think she deserves it), but because I think she was so badly outclassed that it would be a disservice to her to jump back in so soon. She needs to get back to the drawing board because I did not see anything that leads me to believe that she suffered a bad beat/tough loss. She got whooped.

She had the same strategy that she had for every fight, it was just completely nullified so it looked terrible.

It's a simple 3 part strategy:

1. Grab girl

2. Throw girl on head

3. Rip off her arm

But if you can't grab the girl and you're getting punched in the face, it doesn't work. And since it worked so well for so long it was just impossible for her to abandon. The whole fight she's thinking, "If I can just get my hands on her"... not "If I can just land a punch or two".

It should be in all fighters contracts that they have to appear at a post fight presser.

:goodposting:

Unless they need immediate medical attention, they should be there. Especially someone talking as much #### as Rousey.

maybe she was humbled enough to start showing a tad more respect towards her opponents ...thats a good thing

It should be in all fighters contracts that they have to appear at a post fight presser.

Unless they need immediate medical attention, they should be there. Especially someone talking as much #### as Rousey.

maybe she was humbled enough to start showing a tad more respect towards her opponents ...thats a good thing

And she could show respect by showing up to the press conference and, you know, being respectful.

• Like 1

And she could show respect by showing up to the press conference and, you know, being respectful.

she went right to the hospital right? Dana said her lip was split in half and so they wanted to sew it up and i am sure knowing that she will certainly have a career after MMA they probably wanted to check her for everything. she took a nasty KO

she went right to the hospital right? Dana said her lip was split in half and so they wanted to sew it up and i am sure knowing that she will certainly have a career after MMA they probably wanted to check her for everything. she took a nasty KO

Countless fighters have been there for post-show press conferences with their faces looking like raw burger meat. Ronda wasn't even interviewed by Rogan in the Octagon. Doesn't come across too well, despite the image concerns.

Yeah shes acting like a baby. She must not like the taste of humble pie.

And Im a fan of hers, but shes really showing poor sportsmanship.

when you are as confident as she is and cant even imagine being beat ,im sure being defeated is a hard bone to chew on....this is uncharted territory for her....lets see how she grows as a person and a fighter before we cut her down too much

when you are as confident as she is and cant even imagine being beat ,im sure being defeated is a hard bone to chew on....this is uncharted territory for her....lets see how she grows as a person and a fighter before we cut her down too much

I agree, but I remember her last fight against Correia, who got KOed quick, was at the post fight presser and was gracious and conceded that she got whooped...thats how pros do it...again, Im a big fan of Ronda, but the fact that she has went radio silent and covered her face at the airport...c'mon, man...we all saw the ### kicking she got, seeing her face now isnt gonna shock anyone more than the still of Holms foot or fist upside her bloody face that have been plastered all over the internet.

Maybe UFC needs to put better doctors on site so they can handle the wreckage after fights enough to allow the fighters to be at the presser....then go to the hospital if they need it. Theres just no excuse for her to be acting like this. Win gracious, and lose gracious. Thats how its done. Otherwise, this game isnt for you.

I agree, but I remember her last fight against Correia, who got KOed quick, was at the post fight presser and was gracious and conceded that she got whooped...thats how pros do it...again, Im a big fan of Ronda, but the fact that she has went radio silent and covered her face at the airport...c'mon, man...we all saw the ### kicking she got, seeing her face now isnt gonna shock anyone more than the still of Holms foot or fist upside her bloody face that have been plastered all over the internet.

Maybe UFC needs to put better doctors on site so they can handle the wreckage after fights enough to allow the fighters to be at the presser....then go to the hospital if they need it. Theres just no excuse for her to be acting like this. Win gracious, and lose gracious. Thats how its done. Otherwise, this game isnt for you.

I agree 100 % but again she hasnt had to do this before ...im sure when the dust settles she will come out of hiding and say and do the right things ...its a learning curve for some...Even Hagler ,who had tasted defeat a couple of times ,didnt handle his loss to Sugar Ray very well ...took him years to accept it and move on

it is truly funny to sit back and just think of all this talk about a women's MMA fight. Pre-Ronda Rousey never would see this many people care about it, and it really is a game changer.

here is a good take with the reaction Rousey is getting: http://mmajunkie.com/2015/11/as-vicious-mockery-of-rousey-continues-has-it-made-her-a-sympathetic-figure

and we can keep letting this conversation roll, but man do i want to talk about this next Bellator card [spoiler alert..... Main Event is Royce Gracie vs. ken Shamrock (no idea what weight, but Ken last fought at HWY), and co-main is Kimbo Slice vs DaDa 5000]. I mean how far can they push this?

Edited by modogg

Good posting

Eat some Crow ACP

Diaz bros would've been walking through the airport mean mugging with some fked up faces talking #### about bad air on the plane being bad for their cuts... and that's why they didn't interview. :lol:

Mrs. Rousey was clearly projecting when she was talking about how her opponent couldn't handle the rigors and demands of being a champion.

I agree 100 % but again she hasnt had to do this before ...im sure when the dust settles she will come out of hiding and say and do the right things ...its a learning curve for some...Even Hagler ,who had tasted defeat a couple of times ,didnt handle his loss to Sugar Ray very well ...took him years to accept it and move on

Yea, no ####. How expensive is the PR machine in her corner right now? Her next public appearance is going to be so overly coached it might have a laugh track.

The fact that she hasn't had a likable moment since facing her first moment of adversity says more than anything that will come after. Willing to give her the benefit of doubt though. I want her to say all the right things and then fight a competitive rematch.

and get KTFO'd again

Really sad the way Rhonda is acting. Unprofessional and childish. Not a champions demeanor at all.

Holm has shown the qualities of a champion IMO. She's remained humble, respectful and the fact the way she responded to giving a rematch to Rhonda with, I have been on the side of defeat and know how I felt.

Just seems like a really classy individual to me.

• Like 1

Good posting

Eat some Crow ACP

Diaz bros would've been walking through the airport mean mugging with some fked up faces talking #### about bad air on the plane being bad for their cuts... and that's why they didn't interview. :lol:

Mrs. Rousey was clearly projecting when she was talking about how her opponent couldn't handle the rigors and demands of being a champion.

lolwut

I need to eat crow because she walked through an airport holding her backpack over her face? OK.

Come talk to me after she starts doing legit media appearances again.

Rousey given 6 month medical suspension

http://www.thescore.com/mma/news/885456

Ronda Rousey, already expected to take some time away from the Octagon regardless of how her bout at UFC 193 unfolded, now has no choice but to step away until mid-2016.

In light of her stunning, lopsided loss to Holly Holm, the promotion has placed the former undefeated champion on a six-month medical suspension stemming from a concern over the possibility of a head injury.

Rousey, who suffered the first loss of her glittering UFC career when Holm knocked her out with a devastating head kick - and a flurry of punches - in the second round of Saturday's fight, will be suspended for 180 days, unless a head CT scan reveals no damage.

Additionally, the 28-year-old has been informed that she is not to have contact for 45 days, and cannot fight inside the next 60 days, according to a full list of medical suspensions released to MixedMartialArts.com.

Such bans are typically handled by the state athletic commission, but, as Elias Cepeda of FOX Sports outlines, the absence of an athletic commission for Saturday's event in Australia led the UFC to issue the suspensions itself.

Good posting

Eat some Crow ACP

lolwut

I need to eat crow because she walked through an airport holding her backpack over her face? OK.

C'mon man

"It's usually really telling how fighters act AFTER a fight, not before. If RR comes out and says that little preachers daughter caught her with a lucky shot and she's going to kill her 99 out of the next 100 fights and #### Holly Holm etc, then I admit to being fooled and that she really is an ###. "

First sentence says it all. Her coached up media appearance that she'll eventually have where she's told what to say doesn't count (unless she throws something, screams obscenities and cries the whole time)

The silence is telling. That walk of shame is telling. She really is an ###.

again, your quote: "It's usually really telling how fighters act AFTER a fight, not before"

Isn't her next legit media appearance technically a promotion for the rematch? How long of a buffer do you get "AFTER" a fight before it's no longer telling of your true nature?

I have no idea what or when her next media appearance is going to be. Whenever it is, I'm sure she will get asked questions about Holly Holm. Then we can see if I was right or not. Keep in mind even before the loss and the medical suspension she was scheduled for a long time off, so the silence now really doesn't say anything one way or the other to me.

I get that if you thought she was a total bitsh before this that the new TMZ clip won't change your mind. It doesn't prove anything one way or the other re: what I said, though.

Edited by AhrnCityPahnder

I have no idea what or when her next media appearance is going to be. Whenever it is, I'm sure she will get asked questions about Holly Holm. Then we can see if I was right or not. Keep in mind even before the loss and the medical suspension she was scheduled for a long time off, so the silence now really doesn't say anything one way or the other to me.

I get that if you thought she was a total bitsh before this that the new TMZ clip won't change your mind. It doesn't prove anything one way or the other re: what I said, though.

Ok, quick question though... how does not touching gloves help sell a fight? If her being an ### is just a ruse to help hype up a fight... why keep up the charade at that point? All the tickets and PPV are sold.

IMO the moments immediately before and after are where you show your sportsmanship... not weeks later in a coached appearance.

wow, this Ronda-hate is truly Bisping-esque. I for one am pretty surprised by it. I agree she can come off #####y, but i came around to liking that about her. Why is it a bad thing if she wants to not like her opponent before a fight, and she creates some energy and excitement for the fight? i would take that any day instead of that b.s. we would see where 2 guys act like they hate each other before a fight, than after the fight and act like they are just best friends.

i would like to see her try another camp, but i am very sure she probably won't. Shame, because it would be interesting. I for one will have my money on Ronda in the rematch. I have not been that impressed with Hollie since she has come to the UFC (this fight not included).

and really, like her hate her, you have to appreciate that honestly there would not be Women's MMA if it weren't for her. or it would be equivalent to WNBA, and barely hanging on by a thread

There's other fighters who do the same thing, Nick Diaz comes to mind. They've explained the mentality as "I hate my opponent until the fight ends". Some fighters may need that as a mental tactic. I don't know.

I do know I've never laced up for even an amateur fight let alone a fight on that large of a stage so therefore I'm not seeing myself as a particularly a good candidate to get judge-y about the mental game and preparation at that level. :shrug:

Edited by AhrnCityPahnder

• AhrnCityPahnder changed the title to UFC wagering: GSP -- I waz eeempressed by your performances. Godspeed!