What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (9 Viewers)

There's other fighters who do the same thing, Nick Diaz comes to mind. They've explained the mentality as "I hate my opponent until the fight ends". Some fighters may need that as a mental tactic. I don't know.

I do know I've never laced up for even an amateur fight let alone a fight on that large of a stage so therefore I'm not seeing myself as a particularly a good candidate to get judge-y about the mental game and preparation at that level. :shrug:
I don't mind this part about her as I think like you some people can use that to their advantage.

the part I do question however is the lack of womaning up after the fight.

Daniel cormier vs jon jones comes to mind off hand. pretty sure there was some real hate there between the 2 not to mention the huge amount of pride and confidence each 1 of them have, but after it was over cormier fulfilled his obligation and humbled himself and gave credit where it was deserved.

There's other fighters who do the same thing, Nick Diaz comes to mind. They've explained the mentality as "I hate my opponent until the fight ends". Some fighters may need that as a mental tactic. I don't know.

I do know I've never laced up for even an amateur fight let alone a fight on that large of a stage so therefore I'm not seeing myself as a particularly a good candidate to get judge-y about the mental game and preparation at that level. :shrug:
im pretty sure she didnt get just her mothers judo skills ...she also got her mothers persona...if you read her book losing was NOT an option growing up...shes kinda messed up from that

I don't mind this part about her as I think like you some people can use that to their advantage.the part I do question however is the lack of womaning up after the fight.

Daniel cormier vs jon jones comes to mind off hand. pretty sure there was some real hate there between the 2 not to mention the huge amount of pride and confidence each 1 of them have, but after it was over cormier fulfilled his obligation and humbled himself and gave credit where it was deserved.
Sonnen vs Silva as well. Sonnen was talking an ungodly amount of ####, got beat in heartbreaking fashion, manned up, did all the interviews and was very respectful.

im pretty sure she didnt get just her mothers judo skills ...she also got her mothers persona...if you read her book losing was NOT an option growing up...shes kinda messed up from that
I generally think that by any ham-n-eggers standpoint, that 95%+ of any olympic medal winning athletes are going to be a little "off". It's just a different level of drive and will. That doesn't usually come without consequence or sacrifice in other areas of life (including sanity and social adjustment).

JMO.

Scott Coker is putting all his chips on the table and flipping that son of a ##### over. For Bellator’s February event in Houston the Spike TV promo is trying to out freak show itself. Not only is Kimbo Slice returning to fight his former street fighting buddy Dada 5000 but Ken Shamrock returns to the cage to fight Royce Gracie. What?

The Texas state athletic commission is just running a turnstile for Bellator’s February event in Houston. If you want a license for anything to go to Texas and they will give it to you. Two kangaroos may fight a bear on the undercard and the Texas athletic may legitimately give it a long hard look before saying yes or no.

Ken versus Royce fights one and two occurred when VCRs were the main medium to access MMA fights. VCRs!!! The MMA Gods want Gracie versus Shamrock three to be viewed only on laser discs.

When booking Kimbo Slice versus another Miami boat yard brawler isn't the craziest #### you announced you know MMA has gone full Bellator. If booking Shamrock versus Gracie in the year 2016 doesn’t create a MMA wormhole that sucks in Bellator cage, Coker, Jimmy Smith, the Bellator ring girls, Dave and Buster's coupons, and all of its fighters than this sport can survive anything.

He's had some great fights (which is why he is still employed in UFC) but wondering if there's ever been any other non-top of card fighter that's been given as much rope as Scott Jorgensen. 2-8 in last 10 UFC Fights

:yawn: Neither Cejudo or Formiga stand a chance against Mighty Mouse. More guys that are just too slow to touch him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil Magny follows a 5-0 2014 with a 4-1 2015. Wish other fighters were as active as he is. Even though he probably isn't making too much base pay, all those fights plus win bonuses must be adding up to a nice few years for the guy (plus that massive Reebok money!)

Not sure why Llamas wasn't spamming leg kicks at the end.
Seriously. I think sometimes these guys over think it. Who cares if he knows it's coming. Hasn't stopped it yet. I'm hoping that's a taste of what Aldo does to McGregor. Haven't seen an old fashioned leg kick TKO in a while.

just caught up with the first 2 TUF eps.

I am hitching my wagon to Ryan Hall. Love oddball guys like this who completely go against the meathead stereotype grain and also do what they say they are going to do. Remains to be seen how he fares as his opponent level ramps up quickly -- but so far I've loved both his fights. That 50/50 game is crazy. The 2nd fight he had (first real fight after his win to get on the show) the dude was defending well, rolling into and through the position as he should have been and Hall just stayed with him the entire way until he ran out of real estate to wiggle with. Just awesome to watch.

"People don't think jiujitsu be like it be, but it do" :lmao:
:sadbanana:

I am hitching my wagon to Ryan Hall. Love oddball guys like this who completely go against the meathead stereotype grain and also do what they say they are going to do. Remains to be seen how he fares as his opponent level ramps up quickly -- but so far I've loved both his fights. That 50/50 game is crazy. The 2nd fight he had (first real fight after his win to get on the show) the dude was defending well, rolling into and through the position as he should have been and Hall just stayed with him the entire way until he ran out of real estate to wiggle with. Just awesome to watch.

ya his performance was very ....disappointing

Man, Masvidal is the king of losing really close fights (or getting flat out robbed), and Bendo is the king of getting them

BustedKnuckles said:
steelerfan1 said:

ya his performance was very ....disappointing
Thought the judge who had it 19-19 had it right.

Are we going to empty the account on Aldo or what?
I'm all over Aldo on this one. It may be my heart talking because I just don't like McGreggor. But I also just don't think McGreggor has fought anyone yet (Mendez only had 2 weeks notice). It will be interesting to see how he does against Aldo, but I'm guessing Aldo is going to leg kick him to death.

I'm all over Aldo on this one. It may be my heart talking because I just don't like McGreggor. But I also just don't think McGreggor has fought anyone yet (Mendez only had 2 weeks notice). It will be interesting to see how he does against Aldo, but I'm guessing Aldo is going to leg kick him to death.
Aldo also hasn't fought in over a year and you have to think if rust may play a factor. i'm pretty sure i'll be all over Aldo, but not a guarantee. McGreggor has shown some improvements in his game, and his strategy against Mendez was good fight IQ. the 2 weeks for Chad is only one piece. the kicks and use of space had more of an effect. one of the things i liked about this season of TUF was when McGreggor was coaching and talked about not using pads so that he can train digging his toes in when he kicks.

Aldo also hasn't fought in over a year and you have to think if rust may play a factor. i'm pretty sure i'll be all over Aldo, but not a guarantee. McGreggor has shown some improvements in his game, and his strategy against Mendez was good fight IQ. the 2 weeks for Chad is only one piece. the kicks and use of space had more of an effect. one of the things i liked about this season of TUF was when McGreggor was coaching and talked about not using pads so that he can train digging his toes in when he kicks.
:lmao: so i went to sherdog to see some other upcoming fighters amount of lay-off. Guess (without looking) when Royce Gracie last fought? the 48 year old last fought

6/2/07 against Sakuraba which i believe got overturned cause all kinds of drugs Gracie was on
that is pretty awesome. Shamrock blows, and has for a long time, but i think i'll have money on the Ken here

I love McGregor. Literally has brought me back to the sport.

But Aldo +125 looks good. Too good to pass up.

Conor being a southpaw may effect the way Aldo throws his leg kicks....its like boxing a southpaw...its all backwards

Most excited I've been for a fight in ages, maybe ever. Fighting predictions aside, the layers and narratives concerning the fight are fantastic. Aldo is the utterly dominant champ. He's not a huge fan favorite, in large part because he doesn't communicate in English. However, while he's clearly not as flamboyant as Conor, he keeps it as real as anyone in the fight game, and is perfectly willing to speak out against the UFC, and supports the creation of a fighters' union. If he loses the status that comes with being champion, the UFC might move on from him reeeeeeeeal quick. Meanwhile, Conor is the brash, flashy newcomer who talks an enormous game and has backed it up so far, but is now facing his biggest challenge by a wide margin. He is clearly the present and future star that the UFC is pushing (almost embarrassingly so), and with Ronda's recent loss, Dana White and company must be out of their minds hoping for a Conor win. It's almost a Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat type of narrative, even though Aldo isn't quite as clean-cut as Ricky. I love it.

Definitely going with Aldo, as evidenced by my posting history, even though I do consider Conor a worthy competitor.

Most excited I've been for a fight in ages, maybe ever. Fighting predictions aside, the layers and narratives concerning the fight are fantastic. Aldo is the utterly dominant champ. He's not a huge fan favorite, in large part because he doesn't communicate in English. However, while he's clearly not as flamboyant as Conor, he keeps it as real as anyone in the fight game, and is perfectly willing to speak out against the UFC, and supports the creation of a fighters' union. If he loses the status that comes with being champion, the UFC might move on from him reeeeeeeeal quick. Meanwhile, Conor is the brash, flashy newcomer who talks an enormous game and has backed it up so far, but is now facing his biggest challenge by a wide margin. He is clearly the present and future star that the UFC is pushing (almost embarrassingly so), and with Ronda's recent loss, Dana White and company must be out of their minds hoping for a Conor win. It's almost a Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat type of narrative, even though Aldo isn't quite as clean-cut as Ricky. I love it.

Definitely going with Aldo, as evidenced by my posting history, even though I do consider Conor a worthy competitor.
what's crazy is that Rockhold-Weidman is on this card too. Should be a fantastic fight too

what's crazy is that Rockhold-Weidman is on this card too. Should be a fantastic fight too
Who? There are other fights?

That week's 3 shows could've made one absolutely insane card with the top 4 fights of each. Edgar/Mendes and Barboza/Ferguson should be awesome, and the Fight Night main card is like the UFC's runway show with Van Zant, Northcutt and Theodorou (and, well, the Chiesa/Miller hobo showdown), but the fights should be damn good. Hoping that Namajunas pulls off the upset, actually. Just hatin'. I love to see Dana White's best-laid plans going awry. :)

Conor being a southpaw may effect the way Aldo throws his leg kicks....its like boxing a southpaw...its all backwards
Good point

Good point
You would think that has been a major part of his camp though.

Aldo hurt yet?
Conor claiming he's fighting with no legs and a broken neck yet?
At least he shows up :shrug:
I do wish most fighters were smarter about their training, but the "injury-prone Aldo" talking point seems like such a red herring to me. He hasn't run from a single fighter that I can remember. His fights were rescheduled, and he proceeded to beat 'em all down. I understand the UFC being upset about having to rework fights, but from a fan's point of view, why the snark over someone not wanting to come into a fight with a serious injury? Seems silly.

Abrantes said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Abrantes said:
Cliff Clavin said:
Aldo hurt yet?
Conor claiming he's fighting with no legs and a broken neck yet?
At least he shows up :shrug:
I do wish most fighters were smarter about their training, but the "injury-prone Aldo" talking point seems like such a red herring to me. He hasn't run from a single fighter that I can remember. His fights were rescheduled, and he proceeded to beat 'em all down. I understand the UFC being upset about having to rework fights, but from a fan's point of view, why the snark over someone not wanting to come into a fight with a serious injury? Seems silly.
I'm am just being silly. I'm an Aldo fan when he's fighting anyone but McGregor.

Bobcat10 said:
kutta said:
Good point
that works both ways

Dana White: Looking for a Fight - PilotWhen Dana White took over the UFC in 2001, one of the new UFC President’s first tasks was to scour the MMA backwaters searching for undiscovered talent to sign to the UFC. White hasn’t scouted talent in person for over a decade - but with childhood friend Nick “The Tooth” and the irrepressible Matt Serra in tow - Dana hits the road once again in search of potential UFC superstars. This is the pilot episode “Dana White: Looking for a Fight.”

this is when he discovered Sage Northcutt

Bobcat10 said:
kutta said:
Good point
that works both ways
:thumbup:

Excited for this one.

Dana White: Looking for a Fight - Pilot

When Dana White took over the UFC in 2001, one of the new UFC President’s first tasks was to scour the MMA backwaters searching for undiscovered talent to sign to the UFC. White hasn’t scouted talent in person for over a decade - but with childhood friend Nick “The Tooth” and the irrepressible Matt Serra in tow - Dana hits the road once again in search of potential UFC superstars. This is the pilot episode “Dana White: Looking for a Fight.”

this is when he discovered Sage Northcutt
interesting premise. but I've had about enough of Dana as I can stomach.

Users who are viewing this thread