What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (5 Viewers)

Begs the question  "Which 3 rounds did Tyron win?"

Yeah I'm not going to back to look either....

Kudos to the Fox post-fight crew showing the fight highlights......the last 30 seconds..... over and over again. ####### Brian Stann looks like he's about to fall asleep :lmao: as Florian and the female continue to talk about this snoozefest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Begs the question  "Which 3 rounds did Tyron win?"

Yeah I'm not going to back to look either....

Kudos to the Fox post-fight crew showing the fight highlights......the last 30 seconds..... over and over again. ####### Brian Stann looks like he's about to fall asleep :lmao: as Florian and the female continue to talk about this snoozefest.

Woodley definitely won the 3rd and 5th - which was a clear 10-8, so he didn't lose the fight. I gave Thompson the other three, but it's not like he certainly took any of them. At best, Thompson got a draw.

Woodley definitely won the 3rd and 5th - which was a clear 10-8, so he didn't lose the fight. I gave Thompson the other three, but it's not like he certainly took any of them. At best, Thompson got a draw.
Since it was 2 48-47's, the judges had him winning 3 rounds.  Crazy to think that even if he didn't get the knockdown in the 5th, he still would've won since Thompson was intentionally retreating as he probably thought he was winning.   

Didn't watch but were the post fight interviews as insightful and poignant as ever?
Thompson said he finished the 5th round strong, but he actually finished the 5th round on the mat getting pounded by Woodley.  Either Woodley connected so that Thompson lost some time there or Thompson was bull####ting.  I think it's the former.

Went to bed early and just got done watching it.  Boooooooooo

The co-main & undercards were pretty good.  Lando could lose a bunch of fights, and still establish himself as an exciting fighter.  That's huge for Dana, and the fans.  Woodley / Thompson on the other hand...  I don't think anyone wants to ever see that fight again.  I sure as hell don't. 

There is always McGregor or Nick Diaz for Woodley if he wants his "money fight", but I think you have to give him the winner of Maia Masvidal first.  I'm still not sure who Lawler fights next.

Went to sleep after Kelly/Evans. Got the event recorded, but from the sound of it, the main event stunk up the joint, so I don't know if I'll even bother.

All I was really hoping to see was a walk-off KO from Hunt, but oh well. Dude's about ready to be done with the UFC.

Went to sleep after Kelly/Evans. Got the event recorded, but from the sound of it, the main event stunk up the joint, so I don't know if I'll even bother.

All I was really hoping to see was a walk-off KO from Hunt, but oh well. Dude's about ready to be done with the UFC.
Just watch the last :37 seconds of the fight and you see everything you would want to see.

What if Woodley didn't get that last round flurry/ knock down.  I think it definitely goes Thompson at that point.  I think Wonderboy won 1,2,4 anyways.  

I don't mean this in a "LOL HOW BORING I WAS ASLEEP", I actually did fall asleep in round 2.  woke up as the decision was being read.   Had no desire to watch what I missed based on the first two rounds.   

What if Woodley didn't get that last round flurry/ knock down.  I think it definitely goes Thompson at that point.  I think Wonderboy won 1,2,4 anyways.  
Tough to say for sure.  

If you look at the scorecards, the guy who awarded it a draw would have given the fight to Thompson as he already had it 39-37.  Woodley doesn't get that 10-8 without the flurry.  

The other two scorecards were identical...1st and 4th for Thompson, 2nd and 3rd for Woodley.  Without the flurry, who knows how they would have scored the final round.  

I thought it was Woodley in the 5th even without the flurry, but all the rounds were pretty close.  Surprised all three scorecards were so similar.

Tough to say for sure.  

If you look at the scorecards, the guy who awarded it a draw would have given the fight to Thompson as he already had it 39-37.  Woodley doesn't get that 10-8 without the flurry.  

The other two scorecards were identical...1st and 4th for Thompson, 2nd and 3rd for Woodley.  Without the flurry, who knows how they would have scored the final round.  

I thought it was Woodley in the 5th even without the flurry, but all the rounds were pretty close.  Surprised all three scorecards were so similar.
Yeah, Woodley definitely gets the 5th even without the knockdown b/c it appears that Thompson thought he had the fight one and was strictly in retreat mode.   Just from aggression and octagon control, Woodley wins that round and thus the fight.   

Yeah, Woodley definitely gets the 5th even without the knockdown b/c it appears that Thompson thought he had the fight one and was strictly in retreat mode.   Just from aggression and octagon control, Woodley wins that round and thus the fight.   
in my opinion neither guy fought to win...they just fought to not lose....hate fights like that and i dont think either deserved a W...it was a draw by default

Two of the best comebacks i've ever seen last night ''The Damage'' pulling it off after his face opening up all over the place was just inspirational... I was calling for the corner to throw in the towel after the first.  Amazing win
it was also fun saying he needed to get a new tattoo with an arrow pointing up to his face. 

Quez said:
I got a big kick on how many reviewers started using the word "tactical" for the very 1st time after the fight.... :lmao:  

Agree with the tweet. Let's just forget it even happened. Even Woodley wouldn't call out a next opponent after the fight :lol:  "I'll let UFC do that". I can't remember a worse main event title fight. If the card wasn't very good on the whole, no doubt these guys would be getting #### on even more.

oh damn, looks like he snapped out of nowhere.  The people in the background are still all relaxed like nothing is happening.
the big face is good 'ol "Let me Bang Bro" Julian Lane. Agreed he was never one who seemed to be relaxed so it did seem like Cody either snuck TJ or something weird happened.

I think it was a matter of time. Hard because the show encourages coaches to talk all kinds of ####, and then not doing anything about it

Watched Woodley/Wonderboy II, against my better judgment. Basura. So glad I didn't stay up late to see those two jabronis West Side Story dance-fighting.

Vannata/Teymur was fun, though the Brazilian announce team was annoying/embarrassing, gushing praise on Vannata to the very end, despite the fact that his striking defense was nonexistent.

And el cucuy got less than half his show money. And people wonder why they need a union. Dude did everything (media bull#### etc...)...and gets punished for another guy not making weight.

Refuse to believe this would stand legally. Just ridiculous

And el cucuy got less than half his show money. And people wonder why they need a union. Dude did everything (media bull#### etc...)...and gets punished for another guy not making weight.

Refuse to believe this would stand legally. Just ridiculous
i heard he got 6 figures and they paid him quite him a bit. i heard the interview with Tony where he said he didn't know if he got paid yet, but it w simply cause he didn't check yet. it seems like they gave him some good stuff, but with this stuff there is always uncertainty cause it is under the table and they never make it official. and to be honest if i was a fighter i wouldn't say a peep about it either, avoid paying taxes on it, etc.  

I thought he was getting the full show amount.
Nope. He indicated in interview he got less than half of it. http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/8/14835764/tony-ferguson-on-not-getting-full-show-money-not-wanting-to-take-pay-cut-vs-michael-johnson   http://mmajunkie.com/2017/03/tony-ferguson-says-he-received-less-than-half-his-contracted-show-money-for-ufc-209 

:lmao:  

However, White didn’t explicitly say Ferguson would receive that at a post-fight news conference. Asked by a reporter whether Ferguson’s situation warranted being paid his show money considering the canceled title fight, White initially responded, “We’ve never done that.” Asked to clarify whether that meant Ferguson wasn’t paid his show money, he said, “He got paid. He did get paid. Yeah, he did.

Crap like this is why the UFC is starting to lose prime talent like Rory. Per the articles linked above, Tony might have actually lost money preparing to fight Khabib and then not getting his show money. These guys go out of pocket to pay for their camps, and fight maybe 3 times / year; the company needs to take care of the fighters when something happens to kill a fight through no fault of the fighter in question.

Chiming in late here, but holy cow. What a horrible main event. That may be the worst fight I've ever seen.

That's why I like watching guys like Lawler, McGreggor (even though I cant' stand the guy), and Nate Diaz fight. They are never afraid to go after the other guy. Both of these guys were terrified of each other.

Chiming in late here, but holy cow. What a horrible main event. That may be the worst fight I've ever seen.

That's why I like watching guys like Lawler, McGreggor (even though I cant' stand the guy), and Nate Diaz fight. They are never afraid to go after the other guy. Both of these guys were terrified of each other.
Where have you gone, Tank Abbott?

A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Coeur de Lion said:
Crap like this is why the UFC is starting to lose prime talent like Rory. Per the articles linked above, Tony might have actually lost money preparing to fight Khabib and then not getting his show money. These guys go out of pocket to pay for their camps, and fight maybe 3 times / year; the company needs to take care of the fighters when something happens to kill a fight through no fault of the fighter in question.
 He'll probably get his discretionary pay at some point in the future.  

you still hate CM ? 

He`s as entertaining  as all get go both out of the cage and in it

you still hate CM ? 

He`s as entertaining  as all get go both out of the cage and in it
Yes, I do. I think if he was a bit more humble and not such an ### he would be one of my favorite fighters. I just don't like the guys that calculate their a-holeishness.

I can live with Nate Diaz because he's just an idiot and is a natural #####. CM has it planned down to a T and it annoys me.

Coeur de Lion said:
i don't think Bellator or anybody else would ever even come close to pay 6 figures for a guy who wouldn't even fight that particular night. Agreed that it sucks super bad for Tony, but in all honesty it is a weird spot. UFC should pay this out, but that precedent is tricky too. 

I have really dismissed mmafighting with their TMZ approach to MMA now, but happened to turn on the MMA Beat this week and they discuss it pretty good:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/9/14855750/watch-the-mma-beat-live-today

i don't think Bellator or anybody else would ever even come close to pay 6 figures for a guy who wouldn't even fight that particular night. Agreed that it sucks super bad for Tony, but in all honesty it is a weird spot. UFC should pay this out, but that precedent is tricky too. 

I have really dismissed mmafighting with their TMZ approach to MMA now, but happened to turn on the MMA Beat this week and they discuss it pretty good:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/9/14855750/watch-the-mma-beat-live-today
Eh, there has been WAY less public drama and bad blood over money between Coker and his fighters (both at SF and now with Bellator) than there has with Dana and the UFC, so  :shrug:

Coeur de Lion said:
Eh, there has been WAY less public drama and bad blood over money between Coker and his fighters (both at SF and now with Bellator) than there has with Dana and the UFC, so  :shrug:
maybe. and I am doing more devil's advocate here cause obviously it is very easy to side with the fighter's who get royally screwed in this deal. Ariel brought up a point that there should ne consideration to count it as a DQ loss for the fighter who misses weight and the other fighter gets his pay and the win bonus. I would guess less fighters would miss weight too. Dana, being the loudmouth he is, has done a good job to make it easy to always bash the UFC and not side with them. but it is tough to ask the UFC to pay a fighter when they get absolutely nothing in return.

I would much rather see the rhetoric and discussion around this issue be about the fighters who miss weight (because many fighters never miss weight because they do it correctly) , and focus on them as the thing that needs to be corrected. It's easy to always say the UFC is wrong, but to actually fix this fighters need to stop missing weight.

the guy who gets screwed no matter what is El Cucouy (as well as other fighters who are burned by this), and it was funny hearing him talk about how one of the embedded had Nurmy eating Tiramisu or something a few days before the weigh-in. Something that was super high in fat and calories. I would be fuming too

maybe. and I am doing more devil's advocate here cause obviously it is very easy to side with the fighter's who get royally screwed in this deal. Ariel brought up a point that there should ne consideration to count it as a DQ loss for the fighter who misses weight and the other fighter gets his pay and the win bonus. I would guess less fighters would miss weight too. Dana, being the loudmouth he is, has done a good job to make it easy to always bash the UFC and not side with them. but it is tough to ask the UFC to pay a fighter when they get absolutely nothing in return.

I would much rather see the rhetoric and discussion around this issue be about the fighters who miss weight (because many fighters never miss weight because they do it correctly) , and focus on them as the thing that needs to be corrected. It's easy to always say the UFC is wrong, but to actually fix this fighters need to stop missing weight.

the guy who gets screwed no matter what is El Cucouy (as well as other fighters who are burned by this), and it was funny hearing him talk about how one of the embedded had Nurmy eating Tiramisu or something a few days before the weigh-in. Something that was super high in fat and calories. I would be fuming too
I would absolutely get behind stiffer penalties (both financial and otherwise) for fighters who miss weight -- it's totally unprofessional and unfair to both the company and their opponents. But I do find it very hard to side with the UFC in pretty much any financial dispute with the fighters. Obviously the handful of fighters at the very tip of the pyramid are doing well (but even then, not so much compared to top athletes in other sports), but most of them are absurdly underpaid IMO, and it hurts the sport overall. The UFC was just sold for $4 billion, and they're nickel-and-diming one of their best and most consistently entertaining and active fighters over $100K -- it's not a good look IMO. Not to mention the fact that there are still some main card fighters (and a ton of undercard-types) on contracts in the $10K show / $10K win neighborhood, which is brutal for a professional athlete in the top organization in any sport, much less a combat sport with all of the risks inherent in putting your body on the line in a cage fight.

I would absolutely get behind stiffer penalties (both financial and otherwise) for fighters who miss weight -- it's totally unprofessional and unfair to both the company and their opponents. But I do find it very hard to side with the UFC in pretty much any financial dispute with the fighters. Obviously the handful of fighters at the very tip of the pyramid are doing well (but even then, not so much compared to top athletes in other sports), but most of them are absurdly underpaid IMO, and it hurts the sport overall. The UFC was just sold for $4 billion, and they're nickel-and-diming one of their best and most consistently entertaining and active fighters over $100K -- it's not a good look IMO. Not to mention the fact that there are still some main card fighters (and a ton of undercard-types) on contracts in the $10K show / $10K win neighborhood, which is brutal for a professional athlete in the top organization in any sport, much less a combat sport with all of the risks inherent in putting your body on the line in a cage fight.
yeah I don't disagree, but we have probably been discussing the bolded above since this thread started, and it is obvious at this time that it needs to be corrected, but this is somewhat up to the fighters to fix. Ben Fowlkes has covered this very well over the years, and has done the research with unions and different fighters to get thoughts. I was looking for some of the articles, having a hard time find them, but here is one he had with Joe Lauzon who I know brought an interesting perspective to fighter pay and unions:

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/09/crowdfunding-travel-expenses-joe-lauzon-explains-why-he-cant-recommend-it/

yeah I don't disagree, but we have probably been discussing the bolded above since this thread started, and it is obvious at this time that it needs to be corrected, but this is somewhat up to the fighters to fix. Ben Fowlkes has covered this very well over the years, and has done the research with unions and different fighters to get thoughts. I was looking for some of the articles, having a hard time find them, but here is one he had with Joe Lauzon who I know brought an interesting perspective to fighter pay and unions:

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/09/crowdfunding-travel-expenses-joe-lauzon-explains-why-he-cant-recommend-it/
Definitely an interesting take from Lauzon there, thanks for posting that. I think that it's a little different though for a guy like Ferguson who has a family to support, and also needs to think about keeping his career moving forward (ie only taking fights that make sense from a rankings stand point since he's so close to the title, etc) as opposed to a guy like Lauzon who has pretty much settled in as an exciting action fighter who is hunting bonuses and fighting as much as he can but will never be in the picture for a title and the serious big bucks.

Also, these are fighters in the pinnacle organization in their sport (that is worth $4 billion), and some of them are having to worry about how to pay sparring partners and trainers, or having to pay for and can't afford plane tickets to get their coaches to the events. It's just patently absurd IMO, and decreases the quality of the product and the level of the athletes that choose to take this path. It's just bad for the sport long term. Can you imagine this being the case in any other top professional sports league? I can't.

I agree that it's obviously something that the fighters themselves need to organize and fix at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread