What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (3 Viewers)

I like Usman, but it's going to be a bummer when he beats Maia tomorrow. All my jiu-jitsu heroes are getting old.

I like Usman, but it's going to be a bummer when he beats Maia tomorrow. All my jiu-jitsu heroes are getting old.
If we fought and I know we are both old.  I know very little jj, how long before you make me call uncle?  

Should I pick it back up at 48, seems dumb to do that.

If we fought and I know we are both old.  I know very little jj, how long before you make me call uncle?  

Should I pick it back up at 48, seems dumb to do that.
Without trying to be conceited, the legit answer is whenever I felt like it. I've been training for over seven years and can't remember the last inexperienced person to give me any issue at all. This includes younger guys in great shape, so it's not just a bunch of fat old people I'm talking about. We've gone and helped train state trooper recruits some basic self-defense. This occurs at the end of a 3-month training course, so they are all in really good shape. We do whatever we want to these guys. My son helped us train local cops a few weekends ago. He's a 13-year-old, who is 5'4, weighs 123 lbs., and has almost eight years of training. These cops were in various stages of fitness, and the results were comical. We did 10 rounds of three minutes each, and he had three rounds where no one would go with him because they were embarrassed he kept choking everyone. The 130-pound girl helping only had five people go with her for the same reason.

Anyway, the short story is anyone with several years of consistent experience at a legit jiu-jitsu school can eff you up.

As far as what age people start, most of them are in their 20s, some are teenagers, and a decent amount are 30 or older. I started when I was 39, but we don't see a lot of people in their late 40s starting. If you do, watch a class before you try your free one. There are some gyms where new people are looked at as fresh meat. You don't want that. You want a place where new people are helped along. At our age, we don't need any joints getting tweaked by some bro dude trying to smash the new guy.

wow, i've never seen Lee fight before. She looks pretty legit. Still am amazed at thinking of women's MMA from 7-10 years ago to where it is today. It is an absolute 180

What prelims are worth watching?  I might just FF thru it all later anyways.
Well not Paige's fight. 

There's two sub 40 second kos worth watching. Bothelo and Benitez. I enjoyed Pantoja Moreno for the heart and effort but it's a lopsided fight. Prazares win was entertaining to me  and a split decision. I don't know though. Nothing epic here. The announcers were mostly excited by the quick kos and I loved Luque's very short left. I was co-watching NBA so.

so 11 out of 25 Hunt's opponents have now pissed hot. I can see why the guy gets so pissed about PED use. Him and Bisping should go on a campaign
He's already in the middle of a law suit with the UFC... and they're still trying to get back into bed with Brock Lesnar. They simply don't care.

Without trying to be conceited, the legit answer is whenever I felt like it. I've been training for over seven years and can't remember the last inexperienced person to give me any issue at all. This includes younger guys in great shape, so it's not just a bunch of fat old people I'm talking about. We've gone and helped train state trooper recruits some basic self-defense. This occurs at the end of a 3-month training course, so they are all in really good shape. We do whatever we want to these guys. My son helped us train local cops a few weekends ago. He's a 13-year-old, who is 5'4, weighs 123 lbs., and has almost eight years of training. These cops were in various stages of fitness, and the results were comical. We did 10 rounds of three minutes each, and he had three rounds where no one would go with him because they were embarrassed he kept choking everyone. The 130-pound girl helping only had five people go with her for the same reason.

Anyway, the short story is anyone with several years of consistent experience at a legit jiu-jitsu school can eff you up.

As far as what age people start, most of them are in their 20s, some are teenagers, and a decent amount are 30 or older. I started when I was 39, but we don't see a lot of people in their late 40s starting. If you do, watch a class before you try your free one. There are some gyms where new people are looked at as fresh meat. You don't want that. You want a place where new people are helped along. At our age, we don't need any joints getting tweaked by some bro dude trying to smash the new guy.
So if we fought for real, in the street, no rules, no weapons.  You feel the same?  Given, I have the knowledge of your skill set.

So if we fought for real, in the street, no rules, no weapons.  You feel the same?  Given, I have the knowledge of your skill set.
i boxed for a few years in high school, and one of my roommates in college wrestled in high school. We would screw around, and he would always mess me up. Obviously slapping instead of punching, but grapplers can control your body at will. I was probably twice as strong as him (weightlifting wise), but 19-20 times he would have me in some hold and i couldn't do much about it. 

so yeah, i think he would have you. 

i boxed for a few years in high school, and one of my roommates in college wrestled in high school. We would screw around, and he would always mess me up. Obviously slapping instead of punching, but grapplers can control your body at will. I was probably twice as strong as him (weightlifting wise), but 19-20 times he would have me in some hold and i couldn't do much about it. 

so yeah, i think he would have you. 
I get what you are saying but you are not thinking right.  If he goes to choke me a I bite into his arm....then what?

I get what you are saying but you are not thinking right.  If he goes to choke me a I bite into his arm....then what?
he chokes harder  :shrug: . in all honesty, if he has you in a rear naked choke, it's over. probably apply the right angle and could have you out real soon

he chokes harder  :shrug: . in all honesty, if he has you in a rear naked choke, it's over. probably apply the right angle and could have you out real soon
No, he doesn't have it set in, I stop with a bite and then try to push his eyeballs into the back of his head or crush his voicebox.  All I am is saying, it is very effective martial art, within rules.  I understand he can use no rules to his advantage too, but no rules changes things much.

No, he doesn't have it set in, I stop with a bite and then try to push his eyeballs into the back of his head or crush his voicebox.  All I am is saying, it is very effective martial art, within rules.  I understand he can use no rules to his advantage too, but no rules changes things much.
and my whole thing is you don't know until you take on a guy who has grappled for a long time. It would be like trying to assault Ronda Rousey. Her use of her hips and body movement can guarantee she can judo throw i would say 99% of people not trained in judo. 

to be honest, i love this talk. Always like to think these things out. For me, it is all about the approach. Let's say you guys are in a bar, whatever happens, and you square up on each other. I don't know Clayton's takedown abilities, but if you come in with a looping right, or any attack like that, most likely he has the fight over in less than 3 minutes. you would have to approach tactically and in a position he wouldn't be expecting. 

in your example above it seems you are already in position of getting choked. You suggest biting, but i think the response would be to squeeze tighter instinctively. also need to take hand speed into account, can you get to his eyeballs before he can block your hands?

i think the strategy you want to pick up is the unconventional approach. the spazzy, full assault is a real bad idea with jujitsu guys. 

If there was one fighter i wish i could have learned his style when i was younger, it would be Genki Sudo. implement some of this, you might have an advanatage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqiWKIm8XUw

and my whole thing is you don't know until you take on a guy who has grappled for a long time. It would be like trying to assault Ronda Rousey. Her use of her hips and body movement can guarantee she can judo throw i would say 99% of people not trained in judo. 

to be honest, i love this talk. Always like to think these things out. For me, it is all about the approach. Let's say you guys are in a bar, whatever happens, and you square up on each other. I don't know Clayton's takedown abilities, but if you come in with a looping right, or any attack like that, most likely he has the fight over in less than 3 minutes. you would have to approach tactically and in a position he wouldn't be expecting. 

in your example above it seems you are already in position of getting choked. You suggest biting, but i think the response would be to squeeze tighter instinctively. also need to take hand speed into account, can you get to his eyeballs before he can block your hands?
Not sure.  Have novice skills in almost every format by today's standard.  If he goes to the ground in a bar, I like my odds.  Limited room.

i think the strategy you want to pick up is the unconventional approach. the spazzy, full assault is a real bad idea with jujitsu guys. 

If there was one fighter i wish i could have learned his style when i was younger, it would be Genki Sudo. implement some of this, you might have an advanatage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqiWKIm8XUw
That is not me, I am not that skilled.  I just would fight like my life depends on it.  Bite, claw, scratch, and all around try to kill him anyway possible.  That isn't something you train against.

That is not me, I am not that skilled.  I just would fight like my life depends on it.  Bite, claw, scratch, and all around try to kill him anyway possible.  That isn't something you train against.
but you do train against the full assault types. Watch any Bas Ruten video on youtube and he has every counter any pugilst could apply. Heart is great, but against a grappler it doesn't help as much. we are getting near the point though where we need to test this out, @AhrnCityPahnder can set the lines. 

but you do train against the full assault types. Watch any Bas Ruten video on youtube and he has every counter any pugilst could apply. Heart is great, but against a grappler it doesn't help as much. we are getting near the point though where we need to test this out, @AhrnCityPahnder can set the lines. 
I am not against bas.  I am against another old guy that his highly skilled at bjj and other things possibly,  I don't know.

What is the defense when you try a choke and someone is biting into your forearm?  I got 2 hands free and you got one while I am eating you?

What is the defense when you try a choke and someone is biting into your forearm?  I got 2 hands free and you got one while I am eating you?
If I'm choking you correctly, my arm is under your chin. You can't bite me.

In general, though, having rules doesn't make it safer for the better fighter.

if he has a body triangle on you from behind, your hands are virtually useless outside of trying to fight off the choke.  If he has a body lock on and you bite him and every dirty thing is fair game and fight for life stuff, my guess is first defense is to gouge your eye out of your socket.

Last edited by a moderator:

I TRANED UFC ( that is, BJJ -- mostly no gi -- and "MMA Striking", which is mostly a western boxing and Muay Thai hybrid, with some additional wrinkles thrown in to both setup for and defend against takedowns) for three years in my late 30s and early 40s.   Sounds like Carlton and I pretty much the same age and started around the same time.   I had a back injury that put me on the shelf for a few months and I never really got back into the swing of things. 

With three years of training, I learned a few things.   First is that I sparred and rolled with enough new people to know that I really like my odds against someone with no training.  Second is that I sparred and rolled with enough advanced purple and brown belts to know that those with significantly more training than me would destroy me, seemingly without much effort.  At 7 years in I'd guess @Clayton Gray would  pretzel me up without a lot of resistance.  

Biting, fish hooking, eye gouging and scrotum ripping and whatever else you can file under "I'm karaaazy and so is my fighting style" does not make things appreciably different.   The rules that often keep BJJ safe enough as a hobby also expose the practitioner for what NOT to do to opponents because you don't want to really hurt your opponent.  A properly applied and fully torqued heel hook will shred your knee ligaments.  small joint manipulation (wrist, fingers) is banned because it's really easy to bend and break those things.  If you wanna throw out the YEAH BUT I'LL EAT YOUR SACK OFF argument, you're better off trying that against someone who hasn't learned how (and just as importantly, how not) to really injure people.  

Of course, there's the standard "anything can happen" that applies to all fights.   It's completely true.  Anything is possible.   

But you can't overstate how the importance/significance of training, muscle memory, learning how to control your breathing, staying mentally calm in bad positions -- all those things that come only with lots and lots and lots of repetition.   In other words, the local community college intramural football team could in theory defeat the NE Patriots in a game -- but is that something you'd want to bet the functioning of your limbs on?

Last edited by a moderator:
First is that I sparred and rolled with enough new people to know that I really like my odds against someone with no training.  Second is that I sparred and rolled with enough advanced purple and brown belts to know that those with significantly more training than me would destroy me, seemingly without much effort.
Spot on!

When I went to college I roomed in a house full of athletes. Two of us (myself included) were there for hoops. One for track and football. One for football and wrestling, and another wrestler. At 6-3 210 in ridiculously good condition, I could handle myself alright and sparred from time to time with another buddy who fought golden gloves. This is 36 years ago. The other basketball player was 6-7 240 strong as an ox and cocky af. The two wrestlers walked around between 170 and 190. Being bigger and better athletes us two basketball players would give them a roll from time to time. We got in some battles of pure physical strength where briefly we may have had the upper hand now and then, but in the end we were toyed with and begging uncle. I'm thankful for rules. More rules please. 

A memory that will always make me grin is 170 pound Candido having big Steve halfway off the balcony and Steve refusing to give. We had to step in that time.

Drunk Cav disagrees with you, sober Cav doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread