What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (5 Viewers)

That FS1 undercard was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Cut the 125 women's division.

Torres and Wood won their debuts though.

Will have to catch the rest tomorrow morning.

NewlyRetired said:
  Dana did not even award a Fight of the Night bonus.  There were a few decent finishes though if you just want to check the highlights on reddit.
I did watch the main card since I saw GOB's post right at 10pm.  Not sure I saw a FotN either in those bouts.

Clayton Gray said:
Brooks pulled off this exact same slam at the regional scene.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what he was hoping to accomplish even if he pulled it off.

Next week is gonna be lit. I cannot wait. Some really intriguing matchups, and then there is CM punk and Jackson. 

It sounds like they are getting rid of the early weigh-ins.  I wonder if this will shake up the divisions?  Some of the guys with tough weight cuts might be forced to move up a weight class.  That being said, it's time for the 165lbs. division.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like they are getting rid of the early weigh-ins.  I wonder if this will shake up the divisions?  Some of the guys with tough weight cuts might be forced to move up a weight class.  That being said, it's time for the 165lbs. division.
They are just going back to how they used to do it, weighing in the afternoon instead of the morning. It probably won’t have much effect, and actually gives the fighters a little more time to make weight.

They are just going back to how they used to do it, weighing in the afternoon instead of the morning. It probably won’t have much effect, and actually gives the fighters a little more time to make weight.
what ever happened to the idea of creating weighins earlier in the week to assure fighters are losing weight slowly instead of the dangerous ways they do it now?  Was that just speculation?

what ever happened to the idea of creating weighins earlier in the week to assure fighters are losing weight slowly instead of the dangerous ways they do it now?  Was that just speculation?
I’m not sure. But the current system really is ridiculous. 

I still think they should step on a scale when they are entering the ring and that’s their weight.

Because it would solve nothing as you'd just have fighters making two weight cuts - one small one early in the week and then their real one like normal.

I’m not sure. But the current system really is ridiculous. 

I still think they should step on a scale when they are entering the ring and that’s their weight.
I take a slightly different view as I fear that might still be dangerous as fighters might still try to cut too much weight just to make their money.

It is probably impractical, but I would love to find a system that focuses more on what is closer to a normal weight for a fighter.  In a complete fantasy world, a fighter should have to maintain a certain weight range for at least two weeks before a fight being weighed once a day.

A few issues with this:

1. Zero chance a promotion wants to risk losing a fight minutes before it's supposed to take place.
  2. Imagine the pressure on the fighter who made weight having to decide whether to take a fight while standing outside or even inside the cage.
  3. You'd still have fighters cutting weight - obviously not as much weight - in order to make a limit. Without time to rehydrate, these people are at enormous health risks while fighting dehydrated.

A few issues with this:

1. Zero chance a promotion wants to risk losing a fight minutes before it's supposed to take place.
  2. Imagine the pressure on the fighter who made weight having to decide whether to take a fight while standing outside or even inside the cage.
  3. You'd still have fighters cutting weight - obviously not as much weight - in order to make a limit. Without time to rehydrate, these people are at enormous health risks while fighting dehydrated.
Solution?

I feel like I should know this, but are fighters simply doing drastic weight cuts for a potential size advantage?  Basically, train around normal weight, drastic cut down to a lower class, then hulk back up for the fight?  

A few issues with this:

I agree. But it would seem that fighters would want to be at their optimum fitness level to fight, so they wouldn’t risk sealing themselves too much right before a fight.

But yes, there are problems with it.

I feel like I should know this, but are fighters simply doing drastic weight cuts for a potential size advantage?  Basically, train around normal weight, drastic cut down to a lower class, then hulk back up for the fight?
Pretty much. A fighter will often use a training camp to lose some fat, but that's not what people refer to when talking about a weight cut. A weight cut begins one to three days before a fight where they are removing as much water as possible from their body, weighing in, and then rehydrating before their fight.

I agree. But it would seem that fighters would want to be at their optimum fitness level to fight, so they wouldn’t risk sealing themselves too much right before a fight.

But yes, there are problems with it.
Yes, they should. But once a fighter cuts a couple of pounds and safely fights and wins, he'll stretch that out to five pounds. Any dehydration is dangerous to a person's brain.

Yes, they should. But once a fighter cuts a couple of pounds and safely fights and wins, he'll stretch that out to five pounds. Any dehydration is dangerous to a person's brain.
I think kidneys too.  I have read about some fighters who kidneys basically shut down during the cutting process.  

Scary stuff :(

I just caught up on the last several weeks of TUF.    

What the hell was that TeePee submission they showed a clip of Suman Mokhtarian pulling?   I've never seen nor heard of that before -- and I can't remember the last time I haven't at least heard of a sub or seen some variant of before.   This #### looked like a double reverse Peruvian necktie where you submit your Yoga instructor.  

Do you matrats know of this one?  

Seems interesting to me.

Regardless of what a new system might be, is the UFC hesitant they will outright lose (good) fighters by drastically changing policy?  When they changed it up 2 years ago, it wasn't drastic.  There has to be some fear here on the UFC side of things.  They know what these guys train at, or could easily find out, and could contractually make them fight at certain weights.  That's drastic though.

I just caught up on the last several weeks of TUF.    

What the hell was that TeePee submission they showed a clip of Suman Mokhtarian pulling?   I've never seen nor heard of that before -- and I can't remember the last time I haven't at least heard of a sub or seen some variant of before.   This #### looked like a double reverse Peruvian necktie where you submit your Yoga instructor.  

Do you matrats know of this one?  
Yeah, it's basically a crank where your shoulder and neck are driven together with a ton of force. You use it when someone buries their hand and doesn't let you move their arm across your body for the classic triangle finish. Basically, it should be your go-to move against anyone doing a basic triangle defense. It's miserable.

And the defense to the teepee is to bring your arm across your opponent's body. Of course, that allows them to finish the triangle.

The moral of the story is don't get caught in a triangle.

Yoel misses weight twice :lol:  

People make fun of CM Punk "taking their spot" but at least the guy is professional enough to make weight. All the while having to spend the last 2 weeks in a courtroom all day due to some idiot doctor Moron. Problem isn't the weigh in times. It's an issue with the morons that try to cut it all the days leading up to the fight.

NewlyRetired said:
for those watching TUF, do you know how Dulani Perry acquired his money?
I don't know, but I'm wondering how wise it was to flash all that bling to a national TV audience. it might be a good thing that he knows how to fight going forward...

I don't know, but I'm wondering how wise it was to flash all that bling to a national TV audience. it might be a good thing that he knows how to fight going forward...
I have no idea myself but I can't shake the feeling the entire thing was a work in some way.

When watching TUF Talk after his episode, it was like seeing a completely different human being.  His look, his speech patterns, his clothing, everything.  There was not even a hint of the character from the house.

I'm so over Romero.   

I wanted him to #### down Bisping's neck, but other than that, take your gay jesus garbage non Tim Kennedy win and gifted Jacare decision and go away.  I really wish Whittaker would have told him to pack it up and didn't fight him.   

Zero sympathy for me. Fight at your weight. Period. 185 class isn't 185. It's 171-185. 205 isn't 205. It's 186-205. Fight people your same size give or take the classes. That's the whole ####### point. 
the post was not about sympathy, it was more about focusing on our recent conversation of how someone is either going to get seriously hurt or die some day from weight cutting.   These are some of the best athletes in the world and the guy could barely walk with out help.  Just awful to see for me.  :(

BTW, the early weighins was to allow fighters to properly/gradually rehydrate afterwards. It wasn't about the cut itself.

BTW, the early weighins was to allow fighters to properly/gradually rehydrate afterwards. It wasn't about the cut itself.
I heard Dana talk about this.  He completely blew it off, and said "we never had any problems before".  It's like, it was a positive headline to hitch to the early weigh ins, but now it's like meh... Brain injuries aren't a big deal.  Lol

the post was not about sympathy, it was more about focusing on our recent conversation of how someone is either going to get seriously hurt or die some day from weight cutting.   These are some of the best athletes in the world and the guy could barely walk with out help.  Just awful to see for me.  :(
Yeah it really sucks and it pisses me off. Seems like such an easy solution to me. Random weigh ins during training camp. Just fight in your weight class. No cuts. Create catch weights for the Super fights. 

Users who are viewing this thread