What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (11 Viewers)

A bit of talk coming from GSP and his camp about Khabib being a good match up. I actually would like to see that. GSP has elite wrestling (liking not at Khabibs level though), he’s the bigger guy and probably has better striking. But Khabib has a significant age advantage. GSP is likely still a decent PPV draw too. 

However, Tony deserves his shot at the title. So, Khabib liking serves at least a 6 month suspension then needs time for camp and a recovery for a fight with Tony. So, it’s likely two years before a GSP/Khabib fight. Which would put GSP at 39 years old. I’m not sure how excited anyone would be about that. Unless GSP dominates a fight a top lightweight prior to that.

Via Khabob's uncle   (Khabob's yer uncle?)

Khabob was offered $15M for a rematch with Conor, he doesn't want it -- Sounds like he wants to fight El Cucuy and then retire.

We're at the mercy of google translate here, but the gist of it is pretty clear. 

>>>>Rapper 50 Cent said he was willing to pay Habib two million dollars if he transferred to Bellator.

For two million, Habib will not fight. Now he is ready to go into battle for no less than five million. In Bellator we were told to name our amount, and they are ready to sign a contract. If Habib leaves UFC, another eight people can leave with him. I can not list them all, but they are powerful, good fighters. I will not yet call their names. The UFC asked Habib not to hurry, because they have not yet made a final decision.

>>>>Is it possible to revenge with Conor?

- Not.

>>>>Why?

- He is not interested in Habib. He will not fight him for any money. Yes, I know that they are offering him a rematch. From the start, they offered him 15 million, if he agrees. But Habib said no. Let Conor stand in line, let him fight with others. But Habib wants to fight Ferguson, and then finish his career.

Never said I was defending Conor's bus incident. Simple saying to put all this on Conor is unfair. Like the guy or not Khabib wanted to Fight Conor, then like a ##### confronts one of his guys with two others. I heard during that Khabib made mention of Conor's grandfather to Artem which Artem told Conor which set him off on the bus incident. Then Conor attacks Khabib's family with his words. Like I said not sure why Khabib is so upset when he unleashed most of this. After Khabib mentioned Conor's Grandfather all bets were off. When I meant by attack I mean going after Khabib and his family. Sorry but if Khabib made the initial call out then went after Artem with his Russian thugs and mentioned Conor's Grandfather I can't feel sorry for what Connor said about Khabib's family. Thats like the bully picking on someone and then finally gets popped and runs home to mommy and daddy and plays the victim card. Khabib isn't as innocent as people think. 
None of what Khabib said to Artem at the hotel was about Connor or his Poppop.  They just had a little man to man, where Khabib told him to keep his name out of his mouth unless he wants some.  Then look at Connor's juvenile delinquent reaction with his touch butt pals.   Also, as to the bolded, I don't think Khabib is "upset" at all.  I think he DGAF about dik but his principals. 

None of what Khabib said to Artem at the hotel was about Connor or his Poppop.  They just had a little man to man, where Khabib told him to keep his name out of his mouth unless he wants some.  Then look at Connor's juvenile delinquent reaction with his touch butt pals.   Also, as to the bolded, I don't think Khabib is "upset" at all.  I think he DGAF about dik but his principals. 
I think Khabib thought he could intimidate Connor like the rest but Connor didn't bat down. I don't think he was expecting what he got. At the end I think Khabib just DGAF about anything else. He wasn't satisfied with just beat McGregor. 

With all the post CM/KN fight chatter, I completely missed yesterdays new that Eddie Alvarez signed with ONE. 

I'm glad he's getting paid but I have no idea who they're going to put up against him for a competitive fight, unless it's Askren.  

With all the post CM/KN fight chatter, I completely missed yesterdays new that Eddie Alvarez signed with ONE. 

I'm glad he's getting paid but I have no idea who they're going to put up against him for a competitive fight, unless it's Askren.  
def fun to see Askren vs Eddie. not sure what else they have, but i know they have the whole Southeast Asia market cornered, so maybe Joachim Hanson can come back?

there are a few fighters out there that have earned the right to get paid as they finish their careers, and Eddie is definitely one of them

Completely wrong.  It was Khabib and like 5-6 of his guys with Artem by himself.  THAT was why connor was so pissed.

Completely wrong.  It was Khabib and like 5-6 of his guys with Artem by himself.  THAT was why connor was so pissed.
No one else put their hands on Artem but Khabib, that was just the scenario that they ran into each other under.  Khabib doesn't need anyone to have his back to confront MFing Artem.  Please.  If anything Khabib's guys were trying to keep him away from Artem.   Don't act like he got jumped by a gang or something.  It was a simple mano a mano convo.

I think Khabib thought he could intimidate Connor like the rest but Connor didn't bat down. I don't think he was expecting what he got. At the end I think Khabib just DGAF about anything else. He wasn't satisfied with just beat McGregor. 
Huh?  Khabib doesn't rely on intimidation, that's Connor.  And he wasn't expecting what he got?  Huh?  I agree he wasn't satisfied with just beating CM, he wanted to shut him up.   It'll be funny if they have a rematch if Connor will try to talk smack.  It was pathetic in the 2nd Nick Diaz fight promotion.

oh what the hell is this:    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mma-ufc/fan-who-jumped-in-octagon-to-help-mcgregor-at-ufc-229-‘i-thought-conor-could-be-killed’/ar-BBOu9X5?ocid=ientp

now we are getting promoting stories about fans jumping in the octagon to protect Conner? Can we remember that we have trained athletes in the octagon, and some goober jumping in the octagon to protect Conner is likely to get knocked the F out?

i'm sure this will end well
oof.  What an idiot.  Worst part is that he's proud of his boneheaded move to enter the cage.

Ferguson v Mayweather, now that would be worth paying for.  He's not going to gas and has killer chin.  He might be able to gas Money.

I expect Bader to dominate Fedor.  :(

I expect the same -- but I also thought Chaels wrestling would be much more effective than it was last night -- Fedor has such good balance and is really tricky with those trips and reversals.    If I were forced to choose now I'd agree with you .. but I'm not really confident.  
Really? Am I just being nostalgic here? I thought that was vintage Fedor. Unassuming. Seemingly slow. Then violence accuracy power. Finish. Bader is going to get crushed. Fedor reminds me of Lionel Messi. Strolls around the pitch looking like the laziest guy out there. Until he sees the opening. Then BAM. Explosion of pure greatness. 

They will, age matters.
Some day? When he's 50? Who cares? 

Nobody should care about this. Best mma dudes fighting each other, great. Best boxing dudes against each other, awesome. Shoot spence/crawford into my veins. 

But Mayweather is a novelty fighter at this point. I mean i hope khabib gets that money, but its so dumb to even care about.

I assumed Khabib was calling Mayweather out to fight MMA. He's not stupid enough to want to box Mayweather, is he? He's not exactly known for his standup like Connor was. Wouldn't get anywhere close to the buys Connor got. 

Really? Am I just being nostalgic here? I thought that was vintage Fedor. Unassuming. Seemingly slow. Then violence accuracy power. Finish. Bader is going to get crushed. Fedor reminds me of Lionel Messi. Strolls around the pitch looking like the laziest guy out there. Until he sees the opening. Then BAM. Explosion of pure greatness. 
Fedor overwhelmed a middleweight who was at a decided strength disadvantage. He has a puncher's chance against Bader.

Some day? When he's 50? Who cares? 

Nobody should care about this. Best mma dudes fighting each other, great. Best boxing dudes against each other, awesome. Shoot spence/crawford into my veins. 

But Mayweather is a novelty fighter at this point. I mean i hope khabib gets that money, but its so dumb to even care about.
Crawford Spence Khabib triple fall, imo.

Honestly, the only fight I want to see Khabib taking is Ferguson but they shouldn't announce it until they are both ready to walk to the octagon.

Bah Gawd is that Khabib's music!!!!

No one else put their hands on Artem but Khabib, that was just the scenario that they ran into each other under.  Khabib doesn't need anyone to have his back to confront MFing Artem.  Please.  If anything Khabib's guys were trying to keep him away from Artem.   Don't act like he got jumped by a gang or something.  It was a simple mano a mano convo.

Huh?  Khabib doesn't rely on intimidation, that's Connor.  And he wasn't expecting what he got?  Huh?  I agree he wasn't satisfied with just beating CM, he wanted to shut him up.   It'll be funny if they have a rematch if Connor will try to talk smack.  It was pathetic in the 2nd Nick Diaz fight promotion.
Ive heard Khabib's camp has had issues before jumping other camps. I haven't heard specifics but have heard this isn't his camps first rodeo in that type of thing. 

Wrong Conor actually talks to sell a fight. Rogan actually made a good point on his podcast about this. Doesn't matter how good two fighters are unless there is some sort of hype or no one gives a #### about the fight. Conor knows how to sell a fight just like Mayweather. The object might be to win the fight but it's also to get as much money as possible out of a fight and CM does that better then anyone

Sebowski said:
I assumed Khabib was calling Mayweather out to fight MMA. He's not stupid enough to want to box Mayweather, is he? He's not exactly known for his standup like Connor was. Wouldn't get anywhere close to the buys Connor got. 
I think it was boxing and I agree. Connor knows how to sell a fight. he was right when he yelled at Khabib its just business. You do what you can to get the hype up. Thats an issue with some fighters in combat sports. You can be the best fighter but if you can't sell the fight no one is gonna give a ####. I think Mayweather is incredible overrated, smart but also a coward fighting many of the big names at the end of their careers because he didn't want to chance his undefeated streak. I also think Boxing is incredible ringed and heard that Mayweather has high ranking boxing people in Vegas paid off which is why he only fights there. Either way the point is despite if you thin Mayweather is a fraud or not he does something incredible well other then running around in a circle in the ring for half the fight. It's selling the fight to the fans and sponsors as best he can. CM/Mayweather doesn't get the buys It does without the way those two sold it. If it wasn't for them people would've just thought it was a joke fight which is was. However Conor is a better stand up guy then Khabib. 

I think it was boxing and I agree. Connor knows how to sell a fight. he was right when he yelled at Khabib its just business. You do what you can to get the hype up. Thats an issue with some fighters in combat sports. You can be the best fighter but if you can't sell the fight no one is gonna give a ####. I think Mayweather is incredible overrated, smart but also a coward fighting many of the big names at the end of their careers because he didn't want to chance his undefeated streak. I also think Boxing is incredible ringed and heard that Mayweather has high ranking boxing people in Vegas paid off which is why he only fights there. Either way the point is despite if you thin Mayweather is a fraud or not he does something incredible well other then running around in a circle in the ring for half the fight. It's selling the fight to the fans and sponsors as best he can. CM/Mayweather doesn't get the buys It does without the way those two sold it. If it wasn't for them people would've just thought it was a joke fight which is was. However Conor is a better stand up guy then Khabib. 
Exactly.  Conor vs Mayweather was huge because both of them were hugely popular and sold the fight.

Nobody would care about Khabib vs Mayweather.  #1 Khabib isn't great at standup and #2 he's as dull as a box of rocks in pre-fight conferences.

Conor and Mayweather made it a circus, just what the public likes.  

Punxsutawney Phil said:
I am intrigued by this because I can't wait to see the UFC try and stop it.  Mayweather can make it happen, and why shouldn't the UFC let Khabib if they let McGregor?  It's a great way to measure how much the UFC fighters are actually getting underpaid.
Why would they try and stop it?  The UFC made a ton of money from the Conor Mayweather fight as they had a piece of the action..

I think casuals liked it. I don't follow the boxing media, but the MMA media was insufferable during that world tour. I hated every second of it.
yes it was brutal...but that's what got so many casual fans to order.  Khabib can't sell a fight like that.  Before Khabib fought Conor nobody outside of UFC fans knew who he was.

People can rip on Conor all they want but the guy knows how to make money.  

Clayton Gray said:
Fedor overwhelmed a middleweight who was at a decided strength disadvantage. He has a puncher's chance against Bader.
Bader isn't a legit heavyweight either. Mediocre Light Heavy what I remember. Fedor was himself. I don't think Chael made him look better or worse. I liked what I saw. 

[tinyfont] Fedor is back! [/tinyfont]

Punxsutawney Phil said:
I am intrigued by this because I can't wait to see the UFC try and stop it.  Mayweather can make it happen, and why shouldn't the UFC let Khabib if they let McGregor?  It's a great way to measure how much the UFC fighters are actually getting underpaid.
I don't know if Khabib is getting underpaid or not, it's just that Mayweather fighting anyone creates a gigantic, metric ton of money. He's on his own level in terms of selling PPV's, although if he goes back to the well either by fighting an MMA fighter, or say, Pacquiao again, the money isn't going to be the same. 

If Khabib boxed Errol Spence, he wouldn't make nearly as much as he would headlining a UFC PPV. 

As an aside, Mayweather is a complete weirdo.

Only cross-sport things I'd be interested in is either one of the Diaz bros vs. Mayweather in a boxing match or Mayweather vs any decent MMA guy in a MMA fight. 

Sebowski said:
Clayton Gray said:
Bader isn't a legit heavyweight either. Mediocre Light Heavy what I remember. Fedor was himself. I don't think Chael made him look better or worse. I liked what I saw. 
I love Fedor and hope he wins. But the dude was just windmilling haymakers at Sonnen. Fedor didn't have to worry about making mistakes because Sonnen had very little power when he was a 185er and posed almost zero threat to Fedor.

Bader isn't a heavyweight and isn't a great LHW, but he's pretty good. And he's much stronger and far more athletic than Sonnen. If Fedor's terrible (from a technical standpoint) striking gets him out of position (and judging from his last few fights, it will), Bader has the grappling skills to take Fedor down and enough strength to keep the fight there for longer periods.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/25072200/ufc-one-championship-close-finalizing-first-major-mma-trade

• The UFC and ONE Championship are close to finalizing what could be considered the first major trade in mixed martial arts history.According to multiple sources, there is a proposed deal on the table for the UFC to release former flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson from his contract in order to allow him to sign with ONE. In return, ONE will release former welterweight champion Ben Askren from his contract so he can finally join the UFC.  Sources say the "trade" isn't finalized just yet, however, it has been discussed at length and is categorized by multiple sources as close to getting done. All parties involved are hopeful it will be finalized soon.

So let's play matchmaker, assuming this nonsense actually happens.  Who do you put Askren in there with to open up his UFC contract...

Kevin Lee?

Justin Gaethje?

Al Iaquinta?

Someone else?

So let's play matchmaker, assuming this nonsense actually happens.  Who do you put Askren in there with to open up his UFC contract...

Kevin Lee?

Justin Gaethje?

Al Iaquinta?

Someone else?
A while back Askren was interviewed by Helwani, and he said (not to say he'll hold himself to it) that he'd only fight for the #1 spot. But since his buddy, Woodley is champ, that pretty much leaves GSP as his dream matchup. I wouldn't mind seeing that fight. Casuals would probably hate it.

From here:

Johnson’s coach Matt Hume is also ONE Championship’s vice president of operations, and has shares in the company. Sources recently told Bloody Elbow that Hume was a key figure in getting the ball rolling on what could be a major moment in MMA history.

Kevin Lee?

Justin Gaethje?

Al Iaquinta?

Someone else?
you pay that much you need a tune up fight for Khabib. if it is at 170, i can't even remember who fights at 170. GSP wouldn't be first, and you wouldn't want to slow an up and comer like Usman. Would they risk Lawlor? seeing how they treated other high profile guys i don't think it will be an easy fight

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread