Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 32.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • modogg

    4565

  • SacramentoBob

    2534

  • AhrnCityPahnder

    2108

  • Craig_MiamiFL

    1598

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forgot to mention - got my BJJ purple belt a couple weeks ago.

***OFFICIAL NOTICE***: Any further talk of Ronda Rousey vs (a TUF Contestant/A male bantanweight / a bear / a horse sized duck / steven segal / whatever ) -- someone else start a new thread and

This sport tends to highlight the negative over the positives so it is worth while acknowledging what Khabib is doing.  He asked kids to write to him on instagram asking for something they wanted as a

30 minutes ago, EYLive said:

With just a few months left in his career, I'm among those that believe that despite all of his accomplishments, DC will be among the most underappreciated fighters ever. If his resume doesn't impress you, there's no discussion to be had. How can being a double-champ be a hindrance to his legacy? He could have taken all of Cain's shine, but chose to defer heavyweight to his teammate and dominate a different division. It's ridiculous to sit there and say "he doesn't deserve credit for a win", that's not even an intelligent response. I declare myself the winner of this debate on that statement alone.

Yeah, Cormier is excellent. He's nowhere near the GOAT, though.

4 minutes ago, KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:

If you really look at it, Jon Jones's wins at LHW aren't particularly impressive either in terms of who he fought.  His first four title fights were all huge names (and former title holders), but were well into the ends of their careers.  MW seems like the premier division right now.

LHW after Jones only looks bad because Jones destroyed it. It's the same now as MW when Silva reigned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:

If you really look at it, Jon Jones's wins at LHW aren't particularly impressive either in terms of who he fought.  His first four title fights were all huge names (and former title holders), but were well into the ends of their careers.  MW seems like the premier division right now.

What?

Jones ran through that division like a Mack truck. 

DC is a top 10 UFC fighter of all time. (And I can't stand him)

These things happen in MMA. Btw Khabib will go down as one of the greats before long. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Apparently "they're working on" Ben Askren vs Robbie Lawler at 233 in January.

 

:blackdot:

I think Ben definitely looks like a favorite with his elite wrestling, but Lawlor will undoubtedly be the best striker he has faced. This is a good test, and I'd much rather see a striker like Lawlor vs a wrestler, than Till or Stephen Thompson.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lawler has historically had ridiculously good TDD.  Maybe TDD isn't the most accurate term, as some people have gotten him down, but he always gets back up.  

I realize Askren's wrestling pedigree, but let's not write off RL.  Lawler will not only the best striker he's faced, but also the highest level well rounded fighter he will have faced (I'd entertain an argument for Douglas Lima here, but by and large...Lawler > * on Askren's win list)

I'm psyched for this fight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On TMZ yesterday they asked DC if after his upcoming Lesnar fight, if he won, and Dana offered him 10 million to fight Jones, would he take it. He said 10 million is a lot of money but his mind was made up about retiring after the Lesnar fight.

Related link:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/11/6/18067420/ufc-champion-daniel-cormier-dont-need-jon-jones-trilogy-fight-anymore-mma-news

Edited by Wingnut
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, modogg said:

you pay that much you need a tune up fight for Khabib. if it is at 170, i can't even remember who fights at 170. GSP wouldn't be first, and you wouldn't want to slow an up and comer like Usman. Would they risk Lawlor? seeing how they treated other high profile guys i don't think it will be an easy fight

:brush:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 12:57 PM, EYLive said:

It's ridiculous to sit there and say "he doesn't deserve credit for a win", that's not even an intelligent response. I declare myself the winner of this debate on that statement alone.

This is the fight game where some guy's careers (mostly in boxing though) is built off fighting cans that had almost no chance.  If you don't acknowledge that well known fact and incorporate it into your argument, you don't deserve to participate in the debate you just declared yourself the winner of. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, scoobus said:

Thread’s turning into Sherdog. No one’s good, everybody sucks and/or overrated.

YOUR FACE IS OVERRATED. 

LETS GO TRANE, BROS /flex

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 6:51 PM, AhrnCityPahnder said:

I'm not saying DC is the goat, but he's closer to it than any other current titleholder and a second place is miles behind him.

Khabib is pretty good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kutta said:

Khabib is pretty good.

I agree.  But Longevity and quality of opponents matters in GOATland.   Khabob's record is unFwithable.  But, 2/3rds of his wins were in Russia against no one I've ever heard of.  He has 11 fights since he came to the US, and only 4 of them were against top10 ranked opponents.    Granted, all have gone SMESH,  and he's a GD beast.   but, I need more than what he's given us to put him in the "all time" convo. 

 

DC has been a main eventer for 8 or 9 years, and by quick glance at his W/L record, has beaten 6 former world champions.  

 

Let Khabob continue this run he's on for another few years and I'm sure I'll change my tune then.  But he's already talking about retiring.   Maybe just bluster, but if not ... get him out of this conversation immediately.  And while we're at it, evict Terrell Davis from the NFL HOF. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

kind of surprised there isn't much talk in here about UFC dissolving 125 pound division. I am guessing that is telling as to why they would be cutting it since it doesn't seem a ton of reaction is out there about it.

A gripe I have is how it seems it is being done. People use to complain a little when it was the Fertita brothers, but man this new company that owns the UFC just seems to not give an F about the fighters. this can't go over well in the fighter community:

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/11/twitter-ufc-fighters-react-looming-dissolution-flyweight-division

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, modogg said:

kind of surprised there isn't much talk in here about UFC dissolving 125 pound division. I am guessing that is telling as to why they would be cutting it since it doesn't seem a ton of reaction is out there about it.

A gripe I have is how it seems it is being done. People use to complain a little when it was the Fertita brothers, but man this new company that owns the UFC just seems to not give an F about the fighters. this can't go over well in the fighter community:

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/11/twitter-ufc-fighters-react-looming-dissolution-flyweight-division

Even more confusing, Dillashaw and Cejudo are fighting at 125 pounds for the flyweight belt. What?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, modogg said:

kind of surprised there isn't much talk in here about UFC dissolving 125 pound division. I am guessing that is telling as to why they would be cutting it since it doesn't seem a ton of reaction is out there about it.

A gripe I have is how it seems it is being done. People use to complain a little when it was the Fertita brothers, but man this new company that owns the UFC just seems to not give an F about the fighters. this can't go over well in the fighter community:

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/11/twitter-ufc-fighters-react-looming-dissolution-flyweight-division

As someone who is 5'6" and 148#....I don't see it as a bad thing 125# is going away. Anyone professional fighting at 125# can easily make 135#. They probably walk around at 150# anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 7:04 PM, Charlie Harper said:

As someone who is 5'6" and 148#....I don't see it as a bad thing 125# is going away. Anyone professional fighting at 125# can easily make 135#. They probably walk around at 150# anyways.

Demetrious Johnson reportedly walks around at 142. I think most 125ers are easily below 150 when they aren't fighting. Guys fighting at 135 are probably walking near 160.

There's a big difference between those two classes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Clayton Gray said:

Demetrious Johnson reportedly walks around at 142. I think most 125ers are easily below 150 when they aren't fighting. Guys fighting at 135 are probably walking near 160.

There's a big difference between those two classes.

DJ is one of the smallest fighters at 5'3. Dom Cruz is the tallest in bantam at 5'8. Most fighters between 125-153# are 5'4"-5'6". 

Sure the smaller guys currently walk around lighter, but it's because they're fighting at a super light weight class for a grown male athlete.  They can easily add more mass. Will they be as dominant? Who knows, but it's not something to cry over IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Charlie Harper said:

DJ is one of the smallest fighters at 5'3. Dom Cruz is the tallest in bantam at 5'8. Most fighters between 125-153# are 5'4"-5'6". 

Sure the smaller guys currently walk around lighter, but it's because they're fighting at a super light weight class for a grown male athlete.  They can easily add more mass. Will they be as dominant? Who knows, but it's not something to cry over IMO.

I'm not crying over it. I enjoyed watching Johnson fight, but the others in the division were largely unexciting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • AhrnCityPahnder changed the title to UFC wagering: KOotY -- we have seen it.
  • AhrnCityPahnder changed the title to UFC wagering: GSP -- I waz eeempressed by your performances. Godspeed!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...