What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (5 Viewers)

I know the main card just started and it’s LA and all that, but there are more people in my apartment than in the Forum right now. 

Jesus. That was truly embarrassing. Chuck couldn’t throw a punch, and he gets knocked out by a straight right to right nose - not even a shot to the chin.

That was ridiculous.

Well, on the bright side, when I was ordering the fight I saw that Johnny Hendricks was fighting in a bare knuckle fight, so I ordered those too. I’ll probably watch those fights later this week and will report back.

WTF. Just watched that debacle on youtube.  Liddell obviously has major head trauma from his previous fights.  He looked drunk before he was ever touched.

How this fight was sanctioned i'll never understand.  That was sad.

WTF. Just watched that debacle on youtube.  Liddell obviously has major head trauma from his previous fights.  He looked drunk before he was ever touched.
That is exactly what Chuck reminded me of, a drunk guy with a blank stare on his face.  It was an obvious money grab.  The most ridiculous part was Tito's celebration. Like he actually beat the Ice Man as oppoosed to the Ice House Man.

That is exactly what Chuck reminded me of, a drunk guy with a blank stare on his face.  It was an obvious money grab.  The most ridiculous part was Tito's celebration. Like he actually beat the Ice Man as oppoosed to the Ice House Man.
Tito waited a long time for that.  Was it legit compared to Chuck's wins? No, but it had to feel mighty good to lay him out.  Chuck shouldn't have got in the cage.

While not coming out and specifically announcing it, this exchange certainly sounds like Sage Northcutt has signed with One Championship.  The guy Sage is responding to here is the CEO of One Championship

https://twitter.com/sagenorthcutt/status/1067895560160636930
Sage is better off in One.  He has a great style for the fans but his style isn't necessarily the best martial art.  I'd take a wrestler / jj expert over a taekwondo expert anyday.  Nobody wants to see Sage on the mat.  I don't think One has the level of wrestler grapplers UFC does, so he will be better off.  Plus, he's a known name that may get more US viewers on One.

While not coming out and specifically announcing it, this exchange certainly sounds like Sage Northcutt has signed with One Championship.  The guy Sage is responding to here is the CEO of One Championship

https://twitter.com/sagenorthcutt/status/1067895560160636930
Sage is better off in One.  He has a great style for the fans but his style isn't necessarily the best martial art.  I'd take a wrestler / jj expert over a taekwondo expert anyday.  Nobody wants to see Sage on the mat.  I don't think One has the level of wrestler grapplers UFC does, so he will be better off.  Plus, he's a known name that may get more US viewers on One.
Completely agree.

Chuck Lie Dell and Chico Ortiz reportedly did 25-30k buys. :lol:

This after Chico said this past Monday he heard over 200k buys.... obviously from Oscar after doing a line of coke. 

what a ####### disaster. Idiotic price and a promoter that couldnt even pronounce Chuck's last name nor had a clue of anyone else on the card.

Usman looked pretty pretty good last night.  He's been impressive before, but that was a complete dismantling of RDA.  Usman seemed like he could have taken him out standing in the last 2 rounds, but opted to take it to the mat even after dealing some brutal fists to RDA.  Probably wise knowing RDA can bang one shot and end it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usman looked pretty pretty good last night.  He's been impressive before, but that was a complete dismantling of RDA.  Usman seemed like he could have taken him out standing in the last 2 rounds, but opted to take it to the mat even after dealing some brutal fists to RDA.  Probably wise knowing RDA can bang one shot and end it.
RDA hasn't knocked anyone out at 170 and hasn't knocked out anyone in 3 years.

Nobody needs a 165lb division more than RDA and Kevin Lee. 

RDA hasn't knocked anyone out at 170 and hasn't knocked out anyone in 3 years.

Nobody needs a 165lb division more than RDA and Kevin Lee. 
So it was a squash?  

I'm not taking RDA there, or dismissing Usman's performance.

Anyone else not have an idea there were 2 UFC events this weekend? :lol:  I'm a fan of Usman but had no clue him and RDA were even fighting. Apparently Mark Hunt is now done in the UFC and JDS fought.My interest has most definitely waned but UFC really feels like it's floundering right now. 

EDIT:  I just checked and apparently Holloway and Ortega are fighting this upcoming weekend as well. :lmao:  

Next week's card is pretty darn amazing. And we lost a couple interesting fights.

I've taken to taping the FS1 cards and watching Sunday morning. So much better since the pacing is awful.

Anyone else not have an idea there were 2 UFC events this weekend? :lol:  I'm a fan of Usman but had no clue him and RDA were even fighting. Apparently Mark Hunt is now done in the UFC and JDS fought.My interest has most definitely waned but UFC really feels like it's floundering right now. 

EDIT:  I just checked and apparently Holloway and Ortega are fighting this upcoming weekend as well. :lmao:  
I get push notices to my phone and hour before events start and outside of those I had no idea either.  I'm kinda of in the same boat..still watch and enjoy big cards but I used to never miss ANY event ever.  Now I just missed 2 back to back and don't even really care.  

Not sure what's different. 

I get push notices to my phone and hour before events start and outside of those I had no idea either.  I'm kinda of in the same boat..still watch and enjoy big cards but I used to never miss ANY event ever.  Now I just missed 2 back to back and don't even really care.  

Oversaturation. 

Too many fights and fighters to keep up with. But the fighters and level of MMA going on has never been better. 

Doesn't seem like it's going to slow down with the ESPN deal starting in January. 

As I said earlier, I've watched most events this year on tape delay and I feel much better about it. The gambling has changed since I like to bet with the flow of the card (i.e. steam bet unders and favorites until I break even) 

AhrnCityPahnder said:

At least part of it is that you aren't the same person you were then. No one is.

I think its oversaturation as well
I remember throwing ufc parties and having 15-20 guys over and that was about every 6-8 weeks and we were all super pumped for the card 
now there is at least 1 ufc event a month + the tv show 
I have bought a ppv in 2 years , miss cards regularly and really don't miss it 

Ignoring TV shows and ignoring anything on Fight Pass, there has already been 35 events in 2018, with 3 more scheduled, giving 38 total events for the 12 months, or just a hair over 3 events every month.
wow

crazy to see those numbers 
I knew there was lots of cards but had no idea it was that much

now I realize why I don't know any of the fighters when I do watch a card

wow

crazy to see those numbers 
I knew there was lots of cards but had no idea it was that much

now I realize why I don't know any of the fighters when I do watch a card
I did not realize it either.  I had to count them by hand.

I still watch but my level of interest has reduced it to being background noise while playing video games.  I use to enjoy even the prelims before.

Before they stretched events all over the globe (instead of just going to Brazil and Canada), I wonder what the total event number was.  Could be about the same, but I'd guess at least a handful less.  I also don't think they structure those events to appease their core home base.

There is no one reason my interest level has dropped but there are a bunch of small items that have added to my declining interest.

* I know so few of the fighters any more.  I don't mind researching before a card but it seems like 25% of any given card is made up of fighters with out even a wiki page.

* The numerous injuries sustained in training hurting the quality of cards (this likely has a large effect on the previous bullet as fighters from independent promotions have to be grabbed up to fill cards)

* The fact that middle of the road UFC fighters can barely make ends meet financially and that the UFC continues to keep a lions share of the profits for themselves.  The Rebok issue still bothers me.   The non stars should not be getting rich but neither should they be wondering if they can even cover their own camp and travel costs either.

* I live in fear that I am still supporting a sport where some one is going to die because of archaic weight cutting rules.

* I am growing ever more discontent with the fake feeling I get from the fighters promoting fights with the imaginary hatred.   It comes off so plastic and uninspired to me.

I was probably one of the last people who was watching TUF, but it is now officially over after 28 seasons.

I assume some fighter based show will start afresh on ESPN next year.

I don't set aside 5 hours for events anymore. I watch replays so I don't have to sit through all the promos. I just caught up on the Adelaide card today.

I don't mind the oversaturation.  It's necessary to grow the sport, create new stars, and make more money to pay them all.  I think they could benefit by adding some structure & promotion to whatever the "minor league" system is.  I don't know how young they are recruiting the guys, but look at football.  If there is a great QB in highschool he has a buzz coming out, and NSD has become a huge event.  Maybe have regional tournaments like American Ninja Warrior?  I don't know, but I watch & am more interested in than ever before.  I always watched the ppv when I was younger, but when I quit going out late I didn't keep up as much.  Then they started on Fox and it reignited my interest, and made me want to seek out the ppvs.  Combined with Joe Rogan always talking about it on his podcast, and MMA news curation on my Google Now, I get a good dose of MMA.

Somebody talk me out of putting a bundle on Holloway -116.

Ortega is some kind of wizard but I can't help but think Holloway at near even money is a good spot.

Missed it earlier.

They're chanting "UH, VAI MORRER", meaning "whoo, you're gonna die".

Side note: Brazilians loved WHOOMP DERE IT IS at the time, and transliterated it to 'uh, tererê' all the time. Used in all contexts as something like "awwwww yeaaaaa".

Side note 2: At one point, the crowd also imported the popular futbol match chant of "Ei, Galvão - vai tomar no cu", which is roughly "Hey Galvão - go #### yourself". It's directed at famed color commentator Galvão Bueno, who covers all sorts of sports down here, and has been the commentator for the UFC network TV broadcasts on Globo down here. Shame that 'go #### yourself' doesn't roll off the tongue quite like 'vai tomar no cu', 'cause I'd love to chant that for Berman, among others.

BloodyElbow finally catching up to the important issues we covered in this thread 6 years ago:

Feature: ‘You’re Going to Die’ - The history behind Brazil’s notorious MMA chant

Somebody talk me out of putting a bundle on Holloway -116.

Ortega is some kind of wizard but I can't help but think Holloway at near even money is a good spot.
That line seems just about right to me.   I have no idea how to call this fight -- complete coin flip for me.   

I'd like to see Ortega win, but no outcome will surprise me.  

Users who are viewing this thread